PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Bart Stupak called 'baby killer' on House floor

Taco John
03-22-2010, 01:40 AM
Bart Stupak called 'baby killer' on House floor

By JAKE SHERMAN & MEREDITH SHINER | 3/21/10 11:27 PM EDT

A health care debate marked by episodes of ugly rhetoric took another turn for the worse late Sunday night when a voice on the Republican side of the House shouted “baby killer” at Rep. Bart Stupak.

Stupak – a leader among anti-abortion Democrats – was speaking at the time in opposition to a Republican motion to recommit that would have added the text of the so-called Stupak Amendment to the Democrats’ reconciliation bill.

Reporters in the House chamber said the “baby killer” shout seemed to come from a group of lawmakers that included Rep. John Campbell (R-Calif.), but he said it wasn’t him. “I don't think it’s appropriate at all," Campbell told POLITICO.

Campbell said the voice came from the floor – from someone who was behind him and to the left. "Some people know who it is but won't say,” he added.

Later, he told reporters that he thought the voice belonged to one of the Texas Republicans seated behind him. "The people who know won't give it up," he told reporters. "I'm not casting dispersions on that state."

Texas Republican Rep. Joe Barton said he heard the shout but wouldn't say who was responsible.

"I can make a guess," Barton told reporters.

House Appropriations Committee Chairman David Obey (D-Wis.), who was in the chair at the time, said he saw a Republican lawmaker shout out “baby killer” – but he wouldn’t say who it was, either.

"I think members have a right to make an idiot of themselves once without being exposed," he said.

House Financial Services Committee Chairman Barney Frank (D-Mass.), who was subjected to an anti-gay epithet from a protestor Saturday, said the "baby killer" shout showed the close alignment between the GOP and some of its most extreme allies in the health care fight.

"The difference between some of the Republicans and some of their raucous followers appears to be, unfortunately, diminishing," Frank said. "Obviously, that's not the whole party, but there's a disturbing tendency to forget about civility."

Republican Reps. Michele Bachmann and Tom Price said they believed the voice came from the gallery and not from a lawmaker. Price declined to say whether the comment was inappropriate.

But Iowa Republican Rep. Steve King – not known to mince words in attacking the Democrats – said he didn’t approve of the “baby killer” shout. “There are a lot of other words I would’ve used – not that,” he said.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0310/34782.html#ixzz0itB9SBpW

Chiefshrink
03-22-2010, 01:41 AM
should have been called "POSER" as well.

Taco John
03-22-2010, 01:42 AM
I hate to see this, but Stupak brought it on himself by standing on a principle and then selling it out when push came to shove. Still, I feel bad for the guy because no matter what he says about respecting life, he's always going to be known as the guy who sold it out for a piece of paper that means nothing. I think that he's sincere in his respect for unborn lives. Just lost his backbone on the day when it came time to stand up for it.

CoMoChief
03-22-2010, 01:45 AM
I hate to see this, but Stupak brought it on himself by standing on a principle and then selling it out when push came to shove. Still, I feel bad for the guy because no matter what he says about respecting life, he's always going to be known as the guy who sold it out for a piece of paper that means nothing. I think that he's sincere in his respect for unborn lives. Just lost his backbone on the day when it came time to stand up for it.

How can you feel bad for someone that works for the people, promised his people to make a stance, then crumbles under pressure of Chicago politics.

I think he should lose his job. Can't wait for him to address his constituents in his next town meeting....which I'm sure won't be for a while. Gonna be hard to explain this one.

Taco John
03-22-2010, 01:49 AM
I feel bad for him because I think Bart Stupak is a sincerely good guy who got put between a rock and a hard place.

tmax63
03-22-2010, 05:53 AM
It's easy to be a "good guy" when times are good. Integrity is doing the right thing when times are tough as well. Obviously with his vote last night he showed his true character and I hope his constituents were watching and taking notes. Just like the folks whose representatives took pay-offs and brides to vote for the bill.

jjjayb
03-22-2010, 06:15 AM
And rightly so.

penchief
03-22-2010, 06:57 AM
Who was the idiot congressman who called him a baby killer on the house floor?

BigRedChief
03-22-2010, 07:00 AM
And rightly so.So the protesters calling my representive in Congress, Emanuel Cleaver and Rep. Lewis of Georgia nig#$rs is okay with you also? Or is just baby killer okay? Was asking a female african american congresswoman why her braids are so tight an offensive question? Whats the line for you? Is there no line? and if so where is it?

jettio
03-22-2010, 07:36 AM
It's easy to be a "good guy" when times are good. Integrity is doing the right thing when times are tough as well. Obviously with his vote last night he showed his true character and I hope his constituents were watching and taking notes. Just like the folks whose representatives took pay-offs and brides to vote for the bill.

It was not easy for Stupak at any stage of this process.

Stupak believes that he has received sufficent assurances that federal funds will not be spent on abortions.

You have no basis for accusing him of not having an honest belief that those assurances will not be betrayed.

BucEyedPea
03-22-2010, 07:38 AM
It was not easy for Stupak at any stage of this process.

Stupak believes that he has received sufficent assurances that federal funds will not be spent on abortions.

You have no basis for accusing him of not having an honest belief that those assurances will not be betrayed.

I disagree. An EO cannot overturn a statute.

jettio
03-22-2010, 07:48 AM
I disagree. An EO cannot overturn a statute.

The executive branch executes the law.

If they make up their mind to prevent federal funding of abortion they can get it done.

There is nothing in the statute that mandates that federal funds must be spent on elective abortions.

mlyonsd
03-22-2010, 08:04 AM
Stupak is a coward. I hope his political career is over.

BigRedChief
03-22-2010, 08:11 AM
Stupak is a coward. I hope his political career is over.What am I missing here? at least publically, he wasn't wanting Roe vs. Wade overturned. All he wanted was to not have any federal money used for abortions? Isn't that correct?

mlyonsd
03-22-2010, 08:20 AM
What am I missing here? at least publically, he wasn't wanting Roe vs. Wade overturned. All he wanted was to not have any federal money used for abortions? Isn't that correct?

Just stop it. I don't feel like playing your little middle school games today.

SNR
03-22-2010, 08:28 AM
Suuuuuuuurrrrreeeee it wasn't you, Bachmann. You heard it from a voice behind you. I see.....

BucEyedPea
03-22-2010, 08:32 AM
Who cares? If the shoe fits and all....

jjjayb
03-22-2010, 08:33 AM
So the protesters calling my representive in Congress, Emanuel Cleaver and Rep. Lewis of Georgia nig#$rs is okay with you also? Or is just baby killer okay? Was asking a female african american congresswoman why her braids are so tight an offensive question? Whats the line for you? Is there no line? and if so where is it?

Wow. Big leap there. Of course there's a line. Abortion IS killing babies. Period. He voted against what he supposedly believes in. He voted to allow federal funding of abortions. He deserves what was said.

But go ahead and bring race into this when it has nothing to do with race. :rolleyes:

Chiefshrink
03-22-2010, 08:48 AM
I feel bad for him because I think Bart Stupak is a sincerely good guy who got put between a rock and a hard place.

Not tryin to pick a fight here but then why is he a politician "supposedly" representing the people's interest???? If you are representing "We the People" they "expect" you to "swing your brass balls" when push comes to shove and not lose your spine.

He may be a nice guy but the "rock and hard place" doesn't cut it. He knew how he was going to vote allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll along because he was waiting for a deal to come through.:rolleyes:

BigRedChief
03-22-2010, 08:57 AM
Wow. Big leap there. Of course there's a line. Abortion IS killing babies. Period. He voted against what he supposedly believes in. He voted to allow federal funding of abortions. He deserves what was said.

But go ahead and bring race into this when it has nothing to do with race. :rolleyes:Are you dense? There will be no federal funding for abortions in this bill.

Taco John
03-22-2010, 09:06 AM

Sure there is a basis for that: GITMO.

fan4ever
03-22-2010, 09:07 AM
Stupak was always going to vote for this bill as this video embedded in the article demonstrates; looks like it was from a town hall meeting.

It was bullsh*t and window dressing all along.

http://bigjournalism.com/aliciacolon/2010/03/21/bart-stupak-gullibility-mendacity-and-the-party-of-death/

Taco John
03-22-2010, 09:07 AM
Are you dense? There will be no federal funding for abortions in this bill.

ROFL

Are you dense?

fan4ever
03-22-2010, 09:27 AM
Who cares? If the shoe fits and all....

It's hilarious; they just passed a bill that's going to cost this nation trillions, with questionable process and tons of back door deals, and the left is all upset a spade got called a spade. What tools.

thecoffeeguy
03-22-2010, 09:36 AM
Stupak = sellout. But then again, most dems are...

bsp4444
03-22-2010, 09:39 AM
Stupak is not a baby killer and to call him one is slander. I think whoever said it should be held accountable. Like much of the mis-information spread throughout the debate over this bill, it's simply not true.

fan4ever
03-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Stupak is not a baby killer and to call him one is slander. I think whoever said it should be held accountable. Like much of the mis-information spread throughout the debate over this bill, it's simply not true.

Baby killer funder?

jjjayb
03-22-2010, 10:38 AM
Are you dense? There will be no federal funding for abortions in this bill.

What's in the bill RIGHT NOW? Not what do you expect it MIGHT change to.

jjjayb
03-22-2010, 10:40 AM

If I pay for someone's murder am I a murderer? Maybe accomplice to baby killer would have been better but it doesn't have the same ring to it.

petegz28
03-22-2010, 11:01 AM
I heard yesterday on TV just before the vote they said something about him getting $700 mil for some local area airports or something for his State.

go bowe
03-22-2010, 11:16 AM
It's easy to be a "good guy" when times are good. Integrity is doing the right thing when times are tough as well. Obviously with his vote last night he showed his true character and I hope his constituents were watching and taking notes. Just like the folks whose representatives took pay-offs and brides to vote for the bill.how many brides did he take?

i hear more than three can be a bed full, er, a hand full...

go bowe
03-22-2010, 11:19 AM
Just stop it. I don't feel like playing your little middle school games today.aw, c'mon...

middle school games can be fun...

remember spin the bottle?

go bowe
03-22-2010, 11:21 AM
It's hilarious; they just passed a bill that's going to cost this nation trillions, with questionable process and tons of back door deals, and the left is all upset a spade got called a spade. What tools.spade?

surely you're not referring to congressman cleaver, are you?

BigRedChief
03-22-2010, 11:25 AM
Just stop it. I don't feel like playing your little middle school games today.It was a legitamate question.

jettio
03-22-2010, 01:06 PM
Sure there is a basis for that: GITMO.

The thing that is interesting about your opposition to this health care reform is that you are grabbing every single reason that the GOP puts out there as a reason justifying your opposition.

You have some strong and valid reasons to oppose the law and you should stick with those instead of unthinkingly complaining about everything that Hannity and the GOP pr machine complains about.

orange
03-22-2010, 01:39 PM
Randy Neugebauer Revealed As 'Baby Killer' Shouter: Texas Republican Apologizes
First Posted: 03-22-10 01:58 PM

Randy Neugebauer (R-Tex.) identified himself as the member of congress who shouted "baby killer" during Rep. Bart Stupak's (D-Mich.) speech on the floor of the House of Representatives Sunday night.

Neugebauer, a three-term member of Congress from Texas, issued a statement of apology on Monday, saying that the statement was not directed at Stupak.

"In the heat and emotion of the debate, I exclaimed the phrase 'it's a baby killer' in reference to the agreement reached by the Democratic leadership," Neugebauer said. "I deeply regret that my actions were mistakenly interpreted as a direct reference to Congressman Stupak himself."

Neugebauer's official Congressional Web site is down at the moment but his campaign site can be found here.

Here is the Texas Republican's statement of apology:

"Last night was the climax of weeks and months of debate on a health care bill that my constituents fear and do not support. In the heat and emotion of the debate, I exclaimed the phrase 'it's a baby killer' in reference to the agreement reached by the Democratic leadership. While I remain heartbroken over the passage of this bill and the tragic consequences it will have for the unborn, I deeply regret that my actions were mistakenly interpreted as a direct reference to Congressman Stupak himself.

"I have apologized to Mr. Stupak and also apologize to my colleagues for the manner in which I expressed my disappointment about the bill. The House Chamber is a place of decorum and respect. The timing and tone of my comment last night was inappropriate."

Neugebauer's outburst came at the end of an intense day of debate and voting on the health care reform bill. Stupak, an anti-abortion Democrat who struck a deal with the White House in exchange for a "yes" vote on the bill, had taken to the floor of the House to deliver a speech opposing a Republican amendment that would have reintroduced stricter abortion financing language in the bill -- language that Stupak, himself, previously introduced.

It was during Stupak's remarks that the shout, "baby killer" was heard in the chamber. The shouter was not immediately identified, but reporters and members of Congress confirmed that it came from the Republican side of the House.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-22-2010, 01:57 PM
LMAO And we wonder why kids act the way they do. They learn all of their behaviors through modeling. They just actually have the balls to grab the gun and start shooting.

mlyonsd
03-22-2010, 02:12 PM
The thing that is interesting about your opposition to this health care reform is that you are grabbing every single reason that the GOP puts out there as a reason justifying your opposition.

You have some strong and valid reasons to oppose the law and you should stick with those instead of unthinkingly complaining about everything that Hannity and the GOP pr machine complains about.

Maybe if you frequented the board you'd realize TJ doesn't parrot the true GOP or Hannity. When I say "true" I don't mean current.

Brainiac
03-22-2010, 02:28 PM
The executive branch executes the law.

If they make up their mind to prevent federal funding of abortion they can get it done.

There is nothing in the statute that mandates that federal funds must be spent on elective abortions.
Do you really think Obama has made up his mind to prevent federal funding of abortion? Do you really think Obama will honor his pledge to do that? It's just another example of "campaign rhetoric, not to be taken seriously". Kind of like all of his other campaign promises that he breaks on a daily basis.

That should be the new slogan of the Obama administration: "It's just campaign rhetoric. Don't take it seriously".

bsp4444
03-22-2010, 02:34 PM
Do you really think Obama has made up his mind to prevent federal funding of abortion? Do you really think Obama will honor his pledge to do that? It's just another example of "campaign rhetoric, not to be taken seriously". Kind of like all of his other campaign promises that he breaks on a daily basis.

That should be the new slogan of the Obama administration: "It's just campaign rhetoric. Don't take it seriously".

Universal health care was a campaign promise. He delivered. Hate the bill if you must, but your complaint is unjustified.

bsp4444
03-22-2010, 02:41 PM
If I pay for someone's murder am I a murderer? Maybe accomplice to baby killer would have been better but it doesn't have the same ring to it.

What did he pay for? Be serious. When it comes to abortion, I realy don't have a dog in the hunt. But to say he is personally paying for abortions, is a flat out lie, like many others perpetuated by the ignorant.

ClevelandBronco
03-22-2010, 02:56 PM
AIDE: What should be do about the Abortion Bill, Congressman?

REP. STUPAK: Shut up and pay it.

Old joke.

jettio
03-22-2010, 04:26 PM
Maybe if you frequented the board you'd realize TJ doesn't parrot the true GOP or Hannity. When I say "true" I don't mean current.

That is why I am surprised that TJ seems like he is latching onto every GOP talking point grievance about this bill.

Usually, he does not do that.

mlyonsd
03-22-2010, 05:30 PM
That is why I am surprised that TJ seems like he is latching onto every GOP talking point grievance about this bill.

Usually, he does not do that.

The only one that wouldn't be against this bill is someone that doesn't have insurance or is too stupid to care about the republic.

fan4ever
03-22-2010, 05:38 PM
LMAO And we wonder why kids act the way they do. They learn all of their behaviors through modeling. They just actually have the balls to grab the gun and start shooting.

That's not a stretch. :rolleyes:

BigRedChief
03-22-2010, 05:42 PM
The only one that wouldn't be against this bill is someone that doesn't have insurance or is too stupid to care about the republic.So its either believe and feel like you do or else your too stupid to have your own thoughts?

jettio
03-23-2010, 02:57 PM
The only one that wouldn't be against this bill is someone that doesn't have insurance or is too stupid to care about the republic.

Seems to me an insurance dominated system is missing a lot of free market principles since the patient does not care if the doctor or hospital overcharges, they only care if the insurance company is paying the bill.

Our country has evolved a health insurance dominated health care system for people with jobs and government provided insurance for the poor and elderly.

In the 1990's when people figured out that it was unsustainable and inefficient, the Clintons proposed something, and the Republicans proposed something that looks like this current bill.

The bill is not that radical really. It might be smarter to transition from the current system to government provided care since we are in a global economy and most of the other nations do not have workforces getting their health care from their employers. but this bill does not do that and it would be politically impossible to do that because too many people have jobs in health insurance and health care now.