PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink -- Gorton's frozen Tilapia

Simply Red
03-22-2010, 10:56 AM
For any of you dieting, I can't recommend these enough, well, in a pinch anyways.

Definitely tasty and easy.

80 calories per fillet

http://i43.tinypic.com/107q8tt.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/99kntl.jpg

Review by Associated Content.com

Gorton's Grilled Tilapia Delivers Great Taste & White, Flaky Fish
If you've got a hankering for some tasty tilapia but don't have the time or money to buy and prepare fresh fish, then try Gorton's Grilled Tilapia - available in your grocer's frozen section. Gorton's Grilled Tilapia comes in a roasted garlic and butter variety that really offers delicious flavor and moist texture.

Gorton's Grilled Tilapia offers all the freshness and quality we expect from the brand. In fact, the box even carries a label touting its Five Star Tilapia. According to the carton, the Gorton's Five Star Tilapia designation is given because this lean-cut fish is white and flaky, possesses a mild flavor, is quick-frozen for freshness, and is "100%" inspected for quality and safety.

Preparation

Gorton's Grilled Tilapia can be cooked in either a microwave or conventional oven. I chose to cook mine in a conventional oven, which requires a 400-degree setting. You then place the tilapia seasoned-side up in an aluminum foil-lined metal pan and then let the grilled tilapia fillets cook for 18 to 20 minutes.

In a microwave, each grilled tilapia fillet cooks up in about 3-1/2 minutes - 5-1/2 minutes if you're cooking two fillets at a time. Be sure you place the fillets on a microwavable plate and then cover this with wax paper.

Flavor

If you've read any of my other frozen fist reviews, you'll know I've had hit-or-miss experiences with the taste and texture of frozen fish. Generally, I only review food products I like, so you can be assured that Gorton's Grilled Tilapia passed my personal test of quality.

The grilled tilapia is good because the flavor of the fish itself is fresh, the texture is indeed flaky and not mushy or mealy like some other frozen fish products, and the overall taste of the garlic and butter seasoning really gives this grilled tilapia a satisfyingly rich, pleasant flavor. The seasoning sauce also reduces the chance that the fish might taste dried out.

Jilly
03-22-2010, 10:58 AM
I've been wondering about those....

Simply Red
03-22-2010, 11:00 AM
I've been wondering about those....

just had two w/ a cup of white frozen corn, the fish is really good. Nice steaky texture and rather filling, they're about $3.45 for two pieces.

Frazod
03-22-2010, 01:13 PM
Hmm, I may have to try that.

Demonpenz
03-22-2010, 01:58 PM
I get those they are pretty good, I bread them in corn flakes and deep fry them hushpuppies and fries.!

Hog Farmer
03-22-2010, 02:06 PM
I eat tilapia at least once a week. I get the fresh/frozen stuff, season the hell outta them and cover with lemon juice and bake. In fact I just bought more yesterday, but tonight is Salmon and steamed veggie night.

Simply Red
03-22-2010, 02:09 PM
I eat tilapia at least once a week. I get the fresh/frozen stuff, season the hell outta them and cover with lemon juice and bake. In fact I just bought more yesterday, but tonight is Salmon and steamed veggie night.

They offer salmon too, not bad for a quick easy meal.

MVChiefFan
03-22-2010, 02:25 PM
I get those they are pretty good, I bread them in corn flakes and deep fry them hushpuppies and fries.!

ROFL

RJ
03-22-2010, 02:29 PM

Corn flakes and fish in the same meal. That's gotta be good for you, right?

Alton deFlat
03-22-2010, 02:34 PM

I'm having salmon tonight too (not Gorton's), with green beans sauteed in a little olive oil, with Italian bread crumbs.

Fish
03-22-2010, 02:37 PM
But...... it's still frozen fish.....

penguinz
03-22-2010, 03:08 PM
But...... it's still frozen fish.....Tilapia does not have a high oil content so it does not alter the taste much.

dtebbe
03-22-2010, 09:59 PM
I'll pass....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGoR4dbE1os

DT

MichaelH
03-23-2010, 03:56 AM
The trouble is that even though Gortons is a good brand, it's still manufactured food from a factory. While the calories may be low, how's the sodium and all the other levels? It's like Lean Cuisine, low in calories but bad in everything else.

T-post Tom
03-23-2010, 04:03 AM
I'll pass....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGoR4dbE1os

DT

Love that show.

Simply Red
03-23-2010, 08:54 AM
The trouble is that even though Gortons is a good brand, it's still manufactured food from a factory. While the calories may be low, how's the sodium and all the other levels? It's like Lean Cuisine, low in calories but bad in everything else.

http://i44.tinypic.com/98hoi8.jpg

RJ
03-23-2010, 09:21 AM
Is it Chinese fish? I don't eat Chinese fish.

Simply Red
03-23-2010, 10:49 AM
Is it Chinese fish? I don't eat Chinese fish.

umm, nooo. sheesh.

MoreLemonPledge
03-23-2010, 11:01 AM
I prefer to make my own delicious tilapia dish. It doesn't take long.

Jilly
03-23-2010, 11:02 AM
umm, nooo. sheesh.

u had no idea when you started this thread that your new favorite healthy dish would be under such scrutiny did you? It's ok.....we've all been there.

Simply Red
03-23-2010, 11:09 AM
well seriously,

I got really really burned out on cooking, i'm trying to eat healthier and look for easy solutions. This one is not bad, really.

Saggysack
03-23-2010, 11:26 AM
Good choice. Eating a square of it and a orange right now. I must say for a couple bucks it wasn't bad. Will buy it again.

I had the signature grilled

Simply Red
03-23-2010, 11:37 AM
Good choice. Eating a square of it and a orange right now. I must say for a couple bucks it wasn't bad. Will buy it again.

I had the signature grilled

too funny, that's the one i had, w/ more corn. LOL, FYI, THAT one is better than the Garlic Butter variety.

Simply Red
03-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Kroger is cheaper than Walmart.

Kroger - $3.46ish

Walmar - $3.84ish

Pitt Gorilla
03-23-2010, 01:06 PM
We made these last week with a mixed fruit salsa. Awesome.

googlegoogle
03-23-2010, 01:49 PM
Had some a week ago. Tilapia i think. Not bad. Good large flakes and chuncky meat.

Not like regular fish at all. More like Cod at Long John Silvers.

Simply Red
03-23-2010, 01:51 PM
We made these last week with a mixed fruit salsa. Awesome.

yeah, i guess that's why i made the thread, they're suprisingly good. ha!

Alton deFlat
03-23-2010, 02:11 PM
I guess I'm gonna have to try these. The salmon I made last night was good, but I got pissed off at my green beans. They were good too, but I've made 'em better.

chiefsfan93
03-23-2010, 03:38 PM
hey guys did you watch dirty jobs at the white bass farm? They raise the bass and talapia at the same farm. The talapia are raised with a purpose in mind though,took me by surprise since i've eat talapia for years along with pollock but any ways the talapia are used to eat the bass poo! just thought you would like to know! If you dont watch dirty jobs you should check it out.Most poo eater poo eaters like it.ROFL Dont take offense just giving the facts.

Simply Red
03-23-2010, 03:40 PM
hey guys did you watch dirty jobs at the white bass farm? They raise the bass and talapia at the same farm. The talapia are raised with a purpose in mind though,took me by surprise since i've eat talapia for years along with pollock but any ways the talapia are used to eat the bass poo! just thought you would like to know! If you dont watch dirty jobs you should check it out.Most poo eater poo eaters like it.ROFL Dont take offense just giving the facts.

im not, people eat shrimp shit, everyday. I love fish poop personally, PRICK!

keg in kc
03-23-2010, 03:55 PM
I just thawed out some swordfish steaks.

I'm too good for tilapia.

Okay, not really. The swordfish was on clearance.

Fish
03-23-2010, 03:57 PM
im not, people eat shrimp shit, everyday. I love fish poop personally, PRICK!

You swore you'd never tell.....

T-post Tom
03-23-2010, 03:58 PM
Someone needs to show this to the Tilapia:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lZWoxVr05mk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lZWoxVr05mk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

chiefsfan93
03-23-2010, 04:07 PM
It wasnt directed at you simply red so if you like poo but it upsets you when you admit it fine. but dont call me a prick you shit breath poo eating simply red sounding...if you dont know me by now fagot.:D

Simply Red
03-23-2010, 04:08 PM
It wasnt directed at you simply red so if you like poo but it upsets you when you admit it fine. but dont call me a prick you shit breath poo eating simply red sounding...if you dont know me by now pillowbiterot.:D

ahem, I just pulled your ass out of the red, I'd be nice to me.

Simply Red
04-28-2010, 11:10 AM
this is a Product of Canada, not China. I don't fuck w/ chinese fish.

Today, i'm having it w/ checkered corn and brown rice, drizzled w/ Texas Pete, Ice water w/ lime NO ice.

Frazod
04-28-2010, 11:12 AM
Hmm, I may have to try that.

I did try it. Pretty tasty. :thumb:

Simply Red
04-28-2010, 11:13 AM
I did try it. Pretty tasty. :thumb:

garlic or their signature classic?

Frazod
04-28-2010, 11:22 AM
garlic or their signature classic?

We tried both kinds. I preferred the grilled.

Simply Red
04-28-2010, 11:35 AM
We tried both kinds. I preferred the grilled.

the sig class. is like a lightly blackened (which IS an oxymoron)
the garlic is sort of a scampiesque sauce.

They're both grilled though. I like the sig-classic, but I think they're discontinuing that, as they just kicked off their Lemon Pepper, which i've yet to try.