PDA

View Full Version : Nat'l Security About those Obama successes in Pakistan...

patteeu
03-22-2010, 03:50 PM
Time (http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1973922,00.html?xid=rss-topstories&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+time%2Ftopstories+%28TIME%3A+Top+Stories%29&utm_content=Google+Reader) is reporting that the top Taliban leaders that Pakistan and US forces have arrested recently in Pakistan are coincidentally the same ones that have been most willing to talk to Afghanistan's Karzai government about an end to the conflict.

The upshot, says Thomas Ruttig, a director of Afghanistan Analysts Network, an international think tank in Kabul, is that Pakistan has skillfully put the breaks on the peace process, just as an international consensus, led by the Europeans, is building toward ending NATO'S nine-year conflict with the Taliban through negotiation. "Pakistan would rather there be no talks than talks without their control," says Ruttig.

Amnorix
03-22-2010, 05:01 PM
First, I very much doubt the US was simply ignorant of the state of the peace discussions, or that the individuals being rounded up were relatively integral to that peace process.

Second, while Karzai's government might be unhappy, I find it hard to care. The Taliban leadership is essentially the same leadership that was in place supporting bin Laden when 9/11 went down. In other words, Mullah Omar and Bandahar and those guys aren't a step removed from the Taliban leadership that directly supported the effort to attack our country, they WERE the Taliban leadership in 2001.

Third, I need to ask if you have any disagreement that what has been accomplished int he last six or so months (capture/killing of many members of the Taliban leadership) is anything but a success, even in light of this "new news".

jettio
03-22-2010, 05:22 PM
Looks like patteeu needs a new avatar since he is rooting against the United States of America now that Dick Cheney's lying sack of Raiduhs dumbazz isn't in power to start foolish wars that make a lot of money for corporations, but bankrupt our nation.

Kind of foolish for patteeu to have some picture of some third-world looking black guy seeming to cheer for the United States now that he has decided to root against the United States because its president is a Democrat who is the son of a third-world black guy.

vailpass
03-22-2010, 05:25 PM
Looks like patteeu needs a new avatar since he is rooting against the United States of America now that Dick Cheney's lying sack of Raiduhs dumbazz isn't in power to start foolish wars that make a lot of money for corporations, but bankrupt our nation.

Kind of foolish for patteeu to have some picture of some third-world looking black guy seeming to cheer for the United States now that he has decided to root against the United States because its president is a Democrat who is the son of a third-world black guy.

Race card FTW!

patteeu
03-22-2010, 07:15 PM
First, I very much doubt the US was simply ignorant of the state of the peace discussions, or that the individuals being rounded up were relatively integral to that peace process.

Second, while Karzai's government might be unhappy, I find it hard to care. The Taliban leadership is essentially the same leadership that was in place supporting bin Laden when 9/11 went down. In other words, Mullah Omar and Bandahar and those guys aren't a step removed from the Taliban leadership that directly supported the effort to attack our country, they WERE the Taliban leadership in 2001.

Third, I need to ask if you have any disagreement that what has been accomplished int he last six or so months (capture/killing of many members of the Taliban leadership) is anything but a success, even in light of this "new news".

The point of this thread is that we may still not be getting the full cooperation of Pakistan that we thought we might have finally been getting. If we aren't, then yes, I disagree with the idea that the last few months have been pure success. It's still far better than withdrawal though. And it's still one of the lone bright spots in an otherwise dark Presidency.

patteeu
03-22-2010, 07:17 PM

If it were true that I was finally coming out against America, which it isn't, you should be welcoming me to your side.

Saul Good
03-22-2010, 07:21 PM

What, exactly, is a "third-world looking black guy"? His avatar is a black male in a white t-shirt. I swear most liberals love minorities the same way they love their pets.

orange
03-22-2010, 08:40 PM
The point of this thread is that we may still not be getting the full cooperation of Pakistan that we thought we might have finally been getting. If we aren't, then yes, I disagree with the idea that the last few months have been pure success. It's still far better than withdrawal though. And it's still one of the lone bright spots in an otherwise dark Presidency.

Pakistan is going to work on behalf of Pakistan. That's a given. Read the whole article and you'll see that it's ultimately about India, like everything else they do internationally.

To me, choosing which Taliban leaders to align with seems like choosing between sleeping with the rattler or the cobra. It ultimately won't matter much.

patteeu
03-22-2010, 08:54 PM
What, exactly, is a "third-world looking black guy"? His avatar is a black male in a white t-shirt. I swear most liberals love minorities the same way they love their pets.

Apparently he thinks only a 3rd world black guy would wave an American flag. I guess he didn't get Michelle's memo that it's finally OK to be proud of our country.

patteeu
03-22-2010, 08:55 PM
Pakistan is going to work on behalf of Pakistan. That's a given. Read the whole article and you'll see that it's ultimately about India, like everything else they do internationally.

To me, choosing which Taliban leaders to align with seems like choosing between sleeping with the rattler or the cobra. It ultimately won't matter much.

Yeah, I read it before I posted the link. Thanks for the advice though.

Dottefan
03-22-2010, 09:11 PM
Douchebag thread by a douchbag republcian..kill yourself.

jettio
03-23-2010, 08:35 AM
Apparently he thinks only a 3rd world black guy would wave an American flag. I guess he didn't get Michelle's memo that it's finally OK to be proud of our country.

Who is depicted in your avatar?

patteeu
03-23-2010, 08:37 AM
Who is depicted in your avatar?

A guy who approves of the US. I believe he's a Liberian so I think you nailed the 3rd world thing even though I don't know why you'd assume it.

jettio
03-23-2010, 12:42 PM
A guy who approves of the US. I believe he's a Liberian so I think you nailed the 3rd world thing even though I don't know why you'd assume it.

So why don't you try being less of a phony when somebody suggests that I was wrong for some improper reasons? I think it would be better for you to not to play along with someone trying to throw "theoretical" stones of indignation at me when you know that I am right.

Maybe it was not an assumption, maybe you identified what it was about when you switched to it and I remembered that somewhat without knowing the exact details.

Part of the point of you deciding to use it had to be the "international" flavor of it, one would reasonably assume.

The Mad Crapper
03-23-2010, 12:47 PM
Douchebag thread by a douchbag republcian..kill yourself.

You know who else pretended to be a black guy on the internet? John Walker Lindh.

Just sayin'.

patteeu
03-23-2010, 01:12 PM
So why don't you try being less of a phony when somebody suggests that I was wrong for some improper reasons? I think it would be better for you to not to play along with someone trying to throw "theoretical" stones of indignation at me when you know that I am right.

Maybe it was not an assumption, maybe you identified what it was about when you switched to it and I remembered that somewhat without knowing the exact details.

Part of the point of you deciding to use it had to be the "international" flavor of it, one would reasonably assume.

I wasn't being a phony, I was being funny. It would have been simple enough to give you a different answer to your question if I was really being a phony.

I don't really think I've ever described my avatar before (although maybe I'm mistaken), but your assumption isn't a bad one. It's not really accurate, but I can see why you'd make it. I image-googled the word "liberty" at one point and this image of a fiercely pro-US guy seemed like a good avatar to use. That it also represents 3rd world appreciation for the US was a nice secondary feature, but I didn't really think of it that way at first.

Inspector
03-23-2010, 01:22 PM
He meant "brakes", not "breaks", right?

In the quote.

patteeu
03-23-2010, 01:31 PM
He meant "brakes", not "breaks", right?

In the quote.

Good catch. You're probably right although he's a German so it's possible that he's using a phrase that's unusual to us native English speakers.

Inspector
03-23-2010, 01:35 PM
Good catch. You're probably right although he's a German so it's possible that he's using a phrase that's unusual to us native English speakers.

I usually ignore stuff like that. Well, except for the mute / moot transposing. That really does drive me nuts for some reason.

I must have put too many hot peppers on my salad today. It's had an unusual effect on me.

go bowe
03-23-2010, 02:08 PM
yummmmmmmm...

hot peppers...

jettio
03-23-2010, 03:48 PM
I wasn't being a phony, I was being funny. It would have been simple enough to give you a different answer to your question if I was really being a phony.

I don't really think I've ever described my avatar before (although maybe I'm mistaken), but your assumption isn't a bad one. It's not really accurate, but I can see why you'd make it. I image-googled the word "liberty" at one point and this image of a fiercely pro-US guy seemed like a good avatar to use. That it also represents 3rd world appreciation for the US was a nice secondary feature, but I didn't really think of it that way at first.

:thumb:

You're always okay by me even if you do not know what you are talking about.