PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues MSNBC Poll...oops.

HonestChieffan
03-22-2010, 04:33 PM
http://politics.polls.newsvine.com/_question/2010/03/21/4048693-the-house-has-passed-an-historic-health-care-overhaul-are-you-excited-or-angry?GT1=43001

Chief Henry
03-22-2010, 04:41 PM
If it were not so sad, I'd be laughing.

CoMoChief
03-22-2010, 04:42 PM
"Hey....it's the right thing to do. HC is a right"

- Obama

Mr. Kotter
03-22-2010, 05:00 PM
OMG!!!!

An unscientific INTERNET poll!!!

OMG!!!

The world is ENDING!!!! NOW!!!!

orange
03-22-2010, 05:01 PM
If it were not so sad, I'd be laughing.

You should laugh. It is laughable.

Influencing online polls

Media web sites, including newspapers, television networks, and America Online, run occasional "polls" that do not use the sampling methods of formal opinion polls, but instead invite all Internet users to respond. Some Free Republic forum messages, usually captioned "Freep this poll!", urge Free Republic members to vote en masse in these polls. Members are also urged to "'Freep' C-Span's 'Washington Journal' with telephone calls pointing out media bias." The concept, and even the term "freeping", has gained wide usage among political websites, both left and right.,

"Whenever a poll is posted on Free Republic.com, everybody goes and votes the right way, and there's nothing wrong with that," says Marinelle Thompson, Freeper and founder of gun rights group Second Amendment Sisters. "We just do it for a laugh. It doesn't really mean anything." The polls can also be manipulated, said Vlae Kershner, SF Gate News Director (and poll writer): "People are finding a way of getting around our system that only allows one vote, and they're voting hundreds of times. It's not thousands of people voting one way; it's one or two people voting hundreds of times."

Occasionally, if the current results of an online poll are unfavorable to them, Freepers will "reverse freep" it, voting against their own views to pad the opposing vote to the point where it loses credibility.

fan4ever
03-22-2010, 05:31 PM
So Kotter and Orange don't think a majority of people following this health reform bill are angry? Which polls do you respect?

orange
03-22-2010, 05:49 PM
So Kotter and Orange don't think a majority of people following this health reform bill are angry? Which polls do you respect?

The ones every other November.

vailpass
03-22-2010, 05:50 PM

I look forward to those, yes I do.

Taco John
03-22-2010, 05:51 PM
I have a hard time believing that MSNBC could get 600,000 people to vote on a poll.

Rain Man
03-22-2010, 06:09 PM
Interestingly, there are some consulting firms here in Colorado - and probably everywhere else - who do "surveys" in this manner and then report it as real research.

fan4ever
03-22-2010, 06:10 PM

So I'll never see you posting polling data? Refreshing.