PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues An ebullient Pelosi: watch out insurance companies, and Rahm is a 'softie'

petegz28
03-24-2010, 11:48 AM
A couple of hours after President Obama signed the health-care bill, an elated House Speaker Nancy Pelosi met with a group of columnists and commentators, issuing a warning to insurance companies and offering a surprising view of White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel.

Asked if insurance companies might raise their rates on health coverage and blame the increases on the new health-care bill, Pelosi said that the insurance companies should be aware that they’re not “automatically included” in the new health exchanges the bill creates.

“Unless they do the right thing, they’re not going in,” she said. “They will be relinquishing the possibility of having taxpayer-subsidized consumers in the exchange,” she said.
Under the new law, the health exchanges Pelosi referred to will be created in 2014. By pulling customers together, they will give individuals and companies a better chance of bargaining when they buy health insurance. Because the exchanges are expected to serve millions of new customers, insurance companies will want to be part of them.

Pelosi spent most of the session with 13 journalists reflecting on how the health-care bill was passed. She repeatedly praised Obama for his leadership. “He’s brilliant,” she said, “and as I’ve said to you before, that saves a lot of time.”

She was also asked about Emanuel’s role in the battle for the bill. “He’s perceived as a political operative,” she said of her former House colleague. “But he’s a very serious person.” She spoke of Emanuel’s interest in the details of policy and labeled him “a patriot.” But she drew surprised and, perhaps, incredulous laughter for her next thought.

“He’s a softie, really,” she said. “I love working with him. We operate at the same pace.”

Emanuel is known for his salty language, and the speaker was asked if she spoke in ways similar to his. “No,” she replied quickly and with a smile, explaining that she was a generation older than Emanuel and that her generation had a more circumspect approach to certain words.

Asked what she made of the often vitriolic attacks on her, she replied “I couldn’t care less.”

“I’m in the arena. I’ve jumped in for the fight, if we weren’t effective, they wouldn’t be going after us.”

Unless you have any doubt, she said: “I like the fact that some of them are my opponents.”

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/postpartisan/2010/03/an_ebullient_pelosi_watch_out.html

fan4ever
03-24-2010, 11:52 AM
Finally a little transparency.

petegz28
03-24-2010, 11:52 AM
Looks like I hosed the thread title....I'm on the laptop..sorry

Dottefan
03-24-2010, 07:33 PM
SHOTGUN SHELLS ARE ON SALE AT WALMART.......DO IT DO IT

BucEyedPea
03-24-2010, 08:22 PM
She was also asked about Emanuel’s role in the battle for the bill. “He’s perceived as a political operative,” she said of her former House colleague. “But he’s a very serious person.” She spoke of Emanuel’s interest in the details of policy and labeled him “a patriot.” But she drew surprised and, perhaps, incredulous laughter for her next thought.

“He’s a softie, really,” she said. “I love working with him. We operate at the same pace.”
Ouch! Is she admitting she's an uber-bitch?

Velvet_Jones
03-24-2010, 09:10 PM
The 80/20-85/15 rule must not be Emanuel’s idea then. That is a direct takeover of the insurance industry.

Taco John
03-24-2010, 09:28 PM
I can't wait until this piece of fascism is crushed under the boot of history.

Mr. Kotter
03-24-2010, 09:30 PM
The 80/20-85/15 rule must not be Emanuel’s idea then. That is a direct takeover of the insurance industry.

Gosh, I guess some of those execs might have to settle for a long weekend in Aspen, instead of the usual 9-10 days? Well, look at the bright side ... they won't have to sell those vacation homes in Florida--they'll just need to rent them out occasionally to recoup some of their "losses."

I can't wait until this piece of fascism is crushed under the boot of history.

Sounds just like what critics of Social Security and Medicaid said too...back in the day.

go bowe
03-24-2010, 09:45 PM
Gosh, I guess some of those execs might have to settle for a long weekend in Aspen, instead of the usual 9-10 days? Well, look at the bright side ... they won't have to sell those vacation homes in Florida--they'll just need to rent them out occasionally to recoup some of their "losses."

Sounds just like what critics of Social Security and Medicaid said too...back in the day.you aren't old enough to remember back in the day, you pipsqueak whipper-snapper...

Velvet_Jones
03-24-2010, 09:48 PM

Sounds just like what critics of Social Security and Medicaid said too...back in the day.

You have absolutly no business sense. What happens when someone uses 2000% of the premium they paid. Are they going to give the balance back to the insurer. You have no idea what insurance is. You just want someone to foot the bill for you.

This type of ignorance is why we have this charlie foxtrott of a healthcare bill.

Insurance companies have to charge more than they pay simply for reserve purposes. Quit being a victom and you will no longer be one.

Mr. Kotter
03-24-2010, 09:54 PM
You have absolutly no business sense. What happens when someone uses 2000% of the premium they paid. Are they going to give the balance back to the insurer. You have no idea what insurance is. You just want someone to foot the bill for you.

This type of ignorance is why we have this charlie foxtrott of a healthcare bill.

Insurance companies have to charge more than they pay simply for reserve perposes. Quit being a victom and you will no longer be one.

You're smart enough to see....that the gravy train is ending. Denial, followed by resentment and anger is normal. The good news is.....recovery awaits you after the pain. Be strong, V-J.

I suspect the boys at the country club won't kick you out anytime soon. And the wife will still love the diamond ring for her birthday, even though it will only be three carats instead of five. Nothing lost really. Seriously. Think about it. The used Escalade is almost as nice as the new LandRover you were eyeing. You'll be fine.

Mr. Kotter
03-24-2010, 09:54 PM
you aren't old enough to remember back in the day, you pipsqueak whipper-snapper...

I'm gettin' there, gramps....I'm gettin' there. :)

Velvet_Jones
03-24-2010, 09:55 PM

Insurance companies have to charge more than they pay simply for reserve purposes. Quit being a victom and you will no longer be one.

FYI Kotter - this is how the Obamao intends to bankrupt the insurance industry instead of taking over the industry out right.

Mr. Kotter
03-24-2010, 09:57 PM
FYI Kotter - this is how the Obamao intends to bankrupt the insurance industry instead of taking over the industry out right.

Gosh. How could I not see....those poor execs will be eating dogfood anyday! How tragic.

Velvet_Jones
03-24-2010, 10:01 PM
You're smart enough to see....that the gravy train is ending. Denial, followed by resentment and anger is normal. The good news is.....recovery awaits you after the pain. Be strong, V-J.

I suspect the boys at the country club won't kick you out anytime soon. And the wife will still love the diamond ring for her birthday, even though it will only be three carats instead of five. Nothing lost really. Seriously. Think about it. The used Escalade is almost as nice as the new LandRover you were eyeing. You'll be fine.

There is absolutly nothing in this post of use to anyone. Thanks.

I have no idea what happened to you but you have to be the biggest drama boy I have ever heard of.

Have you ever tried to build something? Go out on a limb and risk everything to succed? I think not.

Mr. Kotter
03-24-2010, 10:07 PM
There is absolutly nothing in this post of use to anyone. Thanks.

I have no idea what happened to you but you have to be the biggest drama boy I have ever heard of.

Have you ever tried to build something? Go out on a limb and risk everything to succed? I think not.

Going out on a limb to risk everything doesn't entitle you to ass-rape the public....for something as precious their health and lives. I know it's probably upsetting--but you aren't as "special" as you think; aristocracy is so passe'; but you are entitled to the same thing as everyone else...whatever deal in the social contract that our republic decides to make available to you.

Slave-owners were really bummed-out about that Civl War thing too; and buggy manufacturers were irrate about the automobile thing, and private "businessmen" were annoyed when the feds came in to regulate and control the utility businesses...I guess you can feel their pain, now, in a way that you never could before. They survived though; so will you and others in the "industry" who've been loving that gravy train for so, so long.

Garcia Bronco
03-24-2010, 10:08 PM
Yeah koffer, you sound bitter. The amusing part is you are projecting.

Mr. Kotter
03-24-2010, 10:11 PM
Yeah koffer, you sound bitter. The amusing part is you are projecting.

Bitter. I had been in a way--watching what the industry has done to average families in need, yeah. But, what's that catchy tune from the 60s...."Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty....we are free at last" from the clutches of the money-grubbing industry execs.

:hmmm:

Velvet_Jones
03-24-2010, 10:15 PM
Going out on a limb to risk everything doesn't entitle your to ass-rape the public....for something as precious their health and lives. I know it's probably upsetting--but you aren't as "special" as you think; aristocracy is so passe'; but you are entitled to the same thing as everyone else...whatever deal in the social contract that our republic decides to make available to you.

Slave-owners were really bummed-out about that Civl War thing too; and buggy manufacturers were irrate about the automobile thing, and private "businessmen" were annoyed when the feds came in to regulate and control the utility businesses...I guess you can feel their pain, now, in a way that you never could before. They survived though; so will you and others in the "industry" who've been loving that gravy train for so, so long.

See - I thought that was going to be you response so let me tell you this, less than 40% of my income comes from health insurance related business. So you still haven't answered my question. Why don't you go make you own way. Build something that someone needs. Create your own gravy train rather than bitching about it. I take it you are a follower not a leader.

Its OK - the world needs ditch diggers too, Danny.

Velvet_Jones
03-24-2010, 10:20 PM
Phhht - Kotter - you will never make anything of yourself with your attitude. You will continue to be a victom and you will be poor forever. I see your future.

Taco John
03-24-2010, 10:21 PM
Bitter. I had been in a way--watching what the industry has done to average families in need, yeah. But, what's that catchy tune from the 60s...."Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty....we are free at last" from the clutches of the money-grubbing industry execs.

:hmmm:

We're free at last, free at last! Free to be forced into the insruance corrals or face the IRS and be taxed into submission and pay the money grubbing industry execs.

It's like you don't even know what's going on. All you know is that the Democrats are celebrating something.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P36x8rTb3jI&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P36x8rTb3jI&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Mr. Kotter
03-24-2010, 10:24 PM
See - I thought that was going to be you response so let me tell you this, less than 40% of my income comes from health insurance related business. So you still haven't answered my question. Why don't you go make you own way. Build something that someone needs. Create your own gravy train rather than bitching about it. I take it you are a follower not a leader.

Its OK - the world needs ditch diggers too, Danny.

Choosing a career to serve society in a rewarding career for which I'm well-suited was a calculated decision. On the other hand, starting and managing a business can be a noble and equally rewarding calling. Each has rewards, and each has costs. Regardless of your own level of involvement, no business however risky should come at the cost of the general welfare of the nation.

In effect, that's what Congress is saying in passing this bill: healthcare is no longer a commodity in a free market subject to maximum profits at the expense of patient care. I can live with that, even if it pains dear friends like you. I'm sorry, but you'll survive. I call it tough love--kinda like the tough love I get when I lament the "costs" of my choice of my own career. Buck up, buddy.

Mr. Kotter
03-24-2010, 10:29 PM
We're free at last, free at last! Free to be forced into the insruance corrals or face the IRS and be taxed into submission and pay the money grubbing industry execs.

It's like you don't even know what's going on. All you know is that the Democrats are celebrating something.

It's you who can't see the forest for the trees. We live in a republic in which the general welfare and public good are as important as other rights--liberty, for example. Government is all about balancing competing rights. In a republic, majority rule will ultimately prevail, eventually. Unless of course, we are talking about a fundamental Constitutionally protected right, such as those explicitly protected in the Bill of Rights. The right to ass-rape the public with increases in healthcare premiums is NOT one of those protected rights.

petegz28
03-24-2010, 10:29 PM
Choosing a career to serve society in a rewarding career for which I'm well-suited was a calculated decision. On the other hand, starting and managing a business can be a noble and equally rewarding calling. Each has rewards, and each has costs. Regardless of your own level of involvement, no business however risky should come at the cost of the general welfare of the nation.

In effect, that's what Congress is saying in passing this bill: healthcare is no longer a commodity in a free market subject to maximum profits at the expense of patient care. I can live with that, even if it pains dear friends like you. I'm sorry, but you'll survive. I call it tough love--kinda like the tough love I get when I lament the "costs" of my choice of my own career. Buck up, buddy.

Instead, it is a "mandated Right" you are forced to pay for so the Fed Gov can maximize it's tax revenues at the expense of patient care and eventually access and affordability.

Mr. Kotter
03-24-2010, 10:35 PM
Phhht - Kotter - you will never make anything of yourself with your attitude. You will continue to be a victom and you will be poor forever. I see your future.

Pssst. Hate to break it to ya....but even with my choice of careers, my "moonlighting" puts us into the top 7-8% of income earners. Now, with four kids...life isn't luxurious. But unlike what some here seem to think, we aren't exactly standing in soup lines and buying clothes at thift shops. Heh.

Heck, if we pinch pennies for a few months, we might even go to Cancun or some such exotic vacation spot next winter---that, or I'll renew my half of season tickets for the Chiefs. I'll tell you what, either way...you and I should get together. The wives could swap kid stories while you and I bitch about the Chief's coaching staff or their latest loss to the Broncos or Raiders. Hell, that would be awesome, don't you think? Hell, tell you what kinda guy I am...I'll buy the first round, including shots--and I won't limit it to domestic beer or well drinks either.

Deal? :shrug:

:toast:

;)

Mr. Kotter
03-24-2010, 10:38 PM
Instead, it is a "mandated Right" you are forced to pay for so the Fed Gov can maximize it's tax revenues at the expense of patient care and eventually access and affordability.

So, you don't think over-the-top "overhead" for health insurance companies don't rob patients in the current system? :spock:

LMAO

petegz28
03-24-2010, 10:40 PM
So, you don't think over-the-top "overhead" for health insurance companies don't rob patients in the current system? :spock:

LMAO

I never said there wasn't a need for some reform. But you are championing nothing more than Peter doing the stealing now instead of Paul. And doing a worse job of it.

Mr. Kotter
03-24-2010, 10:41 PM
I never said there wasn't a need for some reform. But you are championing nothing more than Peter doing the stealing now instead of Paul. And doing a worse job of it.

In this case, since Peter has been fuggin up things so badly for so long...I'm willing to give Paul a chance to do better.

:)

petegz28
03-24-2010, 10:42 PM
In this case, since Peter has been fuggin up things so badly for so long...I'm willing to give Paul a chance to do better.

:)

So if it's so good, why did Paul exempt himself from his own plan? :doh!:

I guess paying for Congressional members to have lifetime caddilac plans is not robbing the tax payer?

Mr. Kotter
03-24-2010, 10:46 PM
So if it's so good, why did Paul exempt himself from his own plan? :doh!:

I guess paying for Congressional members to have lifetime caddilac plans is not robbing the tax payer?

Why would they trade their Cadilac for the Chevy they are givin' the rest of us? It's called self-interest; no more surprising than the greed that has consumed the industry--and hypocritical to boot. Nonetheless, the overall public good will be served.

Velvet_Jones
03-24-2010, 10:46 PM

Its never been a commodity, its always been a service and the better service you give the more you are rewarded. Bad doctors go away - good doctors stay. You are really saying that competition is bad and that the government needs to fix that. Now, bad doctors will stay and good doctors will go. Sounds like a good deal for every one.

Velvet_Jones
03-24-2010, 10:49 PM
Why would they trade their Cadilac for the Chevy they are givin' the rest of us? It's called self-interest; no more surprising than the greed that has consumed the industry--and hypocritical to boot. Nonetheless, the overall public good will be served.

I thought this needed to be fixed by government? Government fixing government - fuck me we are in an infinite loop.

I think your definition of public good is different from mine. If "everyone gets fucked" is you definition then I understand.

Mr. Kotter
03-24-2010, 10:50 PM
Its never been a commodity, its always been a service and the better service you give the more you are rewarded. Bad doctors go away - good doctors stay. You are really saying that competition is bad and that the government needs to fix that. Now, bad doctors will stay and good doctors will go. Sounds like a good deal for every one.

If that were true, Congress would not have been pressured to do what they've done. It's not as if it's been done rashly; it's be 20 years in the making. Competition in the industry hasn't worked the way it should; for a multitude of reasons. Will the reforms be perfect? Nah. There will be bumps. But, yeah like with utilities, phones, and airlines, it's an industry where public good outweighs freedom to pursue profit motive.

It's about time.

Mr. Kotter
03-24-2010, 10:52 PM
I thought this needed to be fixed by government? Government fixing government - **** me we are in an infinite loop.

I think your definition of public good is different from mine. If "everyone gets ****ed" is you definition then I understand.

Government will make it better than it currently is, for a whole lot of people. And others who can afford it, like you and me, will supplement what we get with additional coverage. In the end, the system will improve in my opinion. By definition, that is public good.

Velvet_Jones
03-24-2010, 11:01 PM
If that were true, Congress would not have been pressured to do what they've done. It's not as if it's been done rashly; it's be 20 years in the making. Competition in the industry hasn't worked the way it should; for a multitude of reasons. Will the reforms be perfect? Nah. There will be bumps. But, yeah like with utilities, phones, and airlines, it's an industry where public good outweighs freedom to pursue profit motive.

It's about time.

So a 2700 page POS bill that no one can understand and very few have read completey and has known holes that WIL have catostrofic consiquenses and actually takes over another industry of student loans was not done rashly? Now I see why you don't understand anything about business or reality.

RedNeckRaider
03-24-2010, 11:11 PM
Those who are happy about this shameful bill are nothing
more than sheep
Posted via Mobile Device

Velvet_Jones
03-24-2010, 11:23 PM
Pssst. Hate to break it to ya....but even with my choice of careers, my "moonlighting" puts us into the top 7-8% of income earners. Now, with four kids...life isn't luxurious. But unlike what some here seem to think, we aren't exactly standing in soup lines and buying clothes at thift shops. Heh.

Heck, if we pinch pennies for a few months, we might even go to Cancun or some such exotic vacation spot next winter---that, or I'll renew my half of season tickets for the Chiefs. I'll tell you what, either way...you and I should get together. The wives could swap kid stories while you and I bitch about the Chief's coaching staff or their latest loss to the Broncos or Raiders. Hell, that would be awesome, don't you think? Hell, tell you what kinda guy I am...I'll buy the first round, including shots--and I won't limit it to domestic beer or well drinks either.

Deal? :shrug:

;)

I think I would be meeting debbie downer but I will play along - where? And no I would never bring my kids and wife unless I knew you.

petegz28
03-24-2010, 11:27 PM

So it's ok for them to carry caddilac plans and not pay the 40% tax on it they are making the rest of the serfs pay?

Got it.

Velvet_Jones
03-24-2010, 11:33 PM
So it's ok for them to carry caddilac plans and not pay the 40% tax on it they are making the rest of the serfs pay?

Got it.

Yes.

Mr. Kotter
03-24-2010, 11:34 PM
I think I would be meeting debbie downer but I will play along - where? And no I would never bring my kids and wife unless I knew you.

Tell you what...how about a Chief's homegame next year; Saturday night for, say, BBQ and some brews, tailgating, and a game. By Sunday night, you'll be singing my praises, man. FWIW, Debbie-Downer? Not even close. We'll work out the details later.

Velvet_Jones
03-25-2010, 12:23 AM
Tell you what...how about a Chief's homegame next year; Saturday night for, say, BBQ and some brews, tailgating, and a game. By Sunday night, you'll be singing my praises, man. FWIW, Debbie-Downer? Not even close. We'll work out the details later.

I'm pretty sure that my praises would not be yours. FYI - I was a ticket holder from '83 to '87 so I have seen plenty of sucky chiefs FB. I could have a beer though.