PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues How I filled out my Census form

donkhater
03-26-2010, 10:48 AM
I know that some of you will automatically write this article off because of the author and/or source, but he make a good point.

How I filled out my Census form
Exclusive: Joseph Farah reveals the way he answered 'race' question

By Joseph Farah

Fortunately for me and maybe for the government I got the short-form Census questionnaire.

Judging from the questions, it seems the government primarily obsessed about tracking racial information about the U.S. population.

Besides the names, ages and sex of each person living in households, the rest of the questions have to do with race.

There's a special section dealing with those of Hispanic, Latino or Spanish origin. Why, I don't know.

Next, participants are asked to classify themselves as white, black, American Indian, Alaskan Native, Asian Indian, Chinese, Filipino, Other Asian, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, Native Hawaiian, Gaumanian or Chamorro, Samoan or other Pacific Islander.

Lastly, there's a checkbox for some other race.
I checked that last box and wrote in HUMAN.

Why?

Because I believe, Like Martin Luther King Jr. did, that America ought to be a color-blind society in which men and women are judged by the their character rather than their skin pigment.

Because I believe that people shouldn't treat each other differently based on the color of their skin, especially the government.

Because I believe it is of no consequence whether someone is black, white, brown, red or Guamanian and that it is, quite frankly, none of the government's business asking questions like that anymore than it would be for an employer in the private sector.

Ask yourself: Why these questions?

What does it have to do with congressional apportionment?

That's the purpose of the Census, after all.

That's why it is authorized in the Constitution.

Why all these other questions even on the short form? Why is this essential information for the government to have? What is the purpose? Can someone explain this? Can anyone come up with one valid reason for this obsession over racial and national identity?

This is America.

This is the great melting pot.

This is the land of assimilation.

Why the official race-consciousness?

Is this as distasteful to others as it is to me?

If this were going on in another country, would we, as Americans, condone it?

Look at where it has led in the past to discrimination, to favoritism, to genocide, the Holocaust. Do we really believe we are immune?

What legitimate need does the federal government have for this information? Why should we cooperate with these types of questions?

And I'm not even dealing with the intrusive personal questions on the long Census form some Americans will be asked to fill out this year.

I'm just talking about race and national identity.

By the way, you know this information will be used for all kinds of insidious commercial purposes as well. You know that the Census releases this information, and private companies and political operatives will use it to further divide Americans into groups rather than unites us under a political creed.

How is that a good thing?

So I'm saying no.

I'm saying I won't participate in this unholy separatism, this un-American-style apartheid.

Will you join me?

I hope I'm not alone.

I'm standing in the footsteps of Martin Luther King Jr., whom I marched with in the 1960s for a color-blind society.

It's still a worthy goal.

Americans should be one people.

That's why we're here.

This is the New World, not the Old World.

Let's lead by example.

Let's not fall into the traps of the past by thinking we're somehow immune to the injustices of the past.

Indeed we are all of one race in God's eyes the human race.

stevieray
03-26-2010, 10:54 AM
..they need to find out who gets Obama money.

Inspector
03-26-2010, 10:54 AM
Yeah, I couldn't figure out why they needed to know race to figure out how many representatives we need or where to build roads and all.

So I just gave them the number in our house and our ages. According to the information the census sent with the form, that's really all they needed.

Besides, there wasn't really a racial classification for us anyway. Except for "other".

LaChapelle
03-26-2010, 10:58 AM
Everytime we have to send someone to your door because you put down a smartass answer on you census form. It cost the american taxpayer $60.

Thank You
Robert M Groves
Director, U S Census

Inspector
03-26-2010, 11:02 AM
Everytime we have to send someone to your door because you put down a smartass answer on you census form. It cost the american taxpayer $60.

Thank You
Robert M Groves
Director, U S Census

Yep, that's why I made sure to avoid any smartass answers. Just the facts. I think it's important to give them the information they need. It is important for our country.

Jenson71
03-26-2010, 11:07 AM
Oh, you devil you. Living life on the rebellious side.

Taco John
03-26-2010, 11:08 AM
I simply filled out the number of residence living here and mailed it back.

cdcox
03-26-2010, 11:11 AM
I simply filled out the number of residence living here and mailed it back.

Enjoy your visit from the brown-shirted jack-booted government thugs.

blaise
03-26-2010, 11:11 AM
I don't feel like you should ever have to give your race. I don't care that they say it's for information gathering.

LaChapelle
03-26-2010, 11:29 AM

Thank You
Robert M Groves
Director, U S Census

The actual cost is closer to $60.12
but the Jehovah's Witnesses kick in the other .12
to follow behind and catch you at the door

Earthling
03-26-2010, 12:16 PM
I put down 100 yd. dash on the race question.

Earthling
03-26-2010, 12:19 PM
....Lastly, there's a checkbox for some other race.
I checked that last box and wrote in HUMAN.

As a fellow earthling this appealed to me. :clap:

mlyonsd
03-26-2010, 12:23 PM
I put down 100 yd. dash on the race question.

ROFL

Serious side question.

I haven't received our census form yet. Were they all sent out at once or in waves?

Earthling
03-26-2010, 12:28 PM
ROFL

Serious side question.

I haven't received our census form yet. Were they all sent out at once or in waves?

It must come in waves...Maybe based on alphabet?? Not sure myself.

banyon
03-27-2010, 07:46 PM
Yeah, I couldn't figure out why they needed to know race to figure out how many representatives we need or where to build roads and all.

So I just gave them the number in our house and our ages. According to the information the census sent with the form, that's really all they needed.

Besides, there wasn't really a racial classification for us anyway. Except for "other".

http://2010.census.gov/2010census/text/text-form.php

Is Person 1 of Hispanic, Latino or Spanish origin?
Asked since 1970. The data collected in this question are needed by federal agencies to monitor compliance with anti-discrimination provisions, such as under the Voting Rights Act and the Civil Rights Act. State and local governments may use the data to help plan and administer bilingual programs for people of Hispanic origin.

BucEyedPea
03-27-2010, 09:59 PM
I don't feel like you should ever have to give your race. I don't care that they say it's for information gathering.

Yeah, the race questions got to me. That and why do they need to know if I own a house and have a mortgage?

They only need to know how many live here.

banyon
03-27-2010, 10:09 PM
Yeah, the race questions got to me. That and why do they need to know if I own a house and have a mortgage?

They only need to know how many live here.

A. The race answer was posted.

B. Subleases, etc.

patteeu
03-28-2010, 07:53 AM
I definitely sympathize with Farah's sentiment, but I'm not sure it doesn't just feed the system that he opposes. We'd be better off IMO if race statistics weren't collected by the government, but as long as they are, they'll be used to level accusations of racism and to that extent, Farah's principled stand is somewhat self-defeating. The more white people who fail to identify their race, the higher the bar will be when the government or a plaintiff's lawyer is comparing the composition of a company or some other organization to national averages (minority percentages) for purposes of leveling a discrimination charge against them.

RedNeckRaider
03-28-2010, 08:43 AM
They need this data for their marketing department. They have a huge amount of bullshit to sell~

2bikemike
03-28-2010, 09:33 PM
I have yet to fill mine out. Its been sitting on my to do pile for about a week or so. I believe that I will just answer to the number of people living in my humble abode.

I can relate to the OP. It is how I feel about the issue. Besides they already have all the information floating around somewhere.

Rain Man
03-28-2010, 10:51 PM
As mentioned earlier, this information is likely useful in discrimination lawsuits.

Given my business, I've probably made as much money as anyone here as a result of racial differences, but I must admit to not always enjoying it. I think in part racial differences are identified because we have so much data on race. At the same time, we don't often identify differences by other important factors because we don't collect information on those factors in the first place.

I often ask clients on surveys why they're asking about race, and the answer is often, "We feel like we should." "If you see a difference, what are you prepared to do about it?" "I don't know. Probably nothing." "Well, then, let's not ask the question."

ClevelandBronco
03-28-2010, 11:14 PM
...I often ask clients on surveys why they're asking about race, and the answer is often, "We feel like we should." "If you see a difference, what are you prepared to do about it?" "I don't know. Probably nothing." "Well, then, let's not ask the question."

The question "What are you prepared to do about it?" must cause some clients to pause, adjust themselves in their seats and steal glances at the others on their team before someone bravely takes the lead and answers you.

______

EDIT: Someone just might go all Jimmy the Greek on me.