PDA

View Full Version : Life Pearls Before Swine - My new favorite comic strip

pr_capone
03-31-2010, 08:27 AM
This particular strip speaks to me. I am Danny Donkey.

http://www.kimtuck.com/imageshacker/19e12fc08d5e5744491808f5502b2044.gif

Fish
03-31-2010, 08:35 AM
Wow. That's terrible.

gblowfish
03-31-2010, 09:57 AM
The guy who draws that strip is an ex lawyer, and he's hilarious. Highly under-rated.
He also tweaks other strips (especially Peanuts) which is really great. It's one of the reasons I still subscribe to the KC Star. I also like Doonesbury and Dilbert. I really like Zippy, although it can be waaaay out there sometimes. I know lots of people don't like it or don't get it, but I think it's great.

Reaper16
03-31-2010, 10:16 AM
I miss The Boondocks so much.

Rain Man
03-31-2010, 10:47 AM
The guy who draws that strip is an ex lawyer, and he's hilarious. Highly under-rated.
He also tweaks other strips (especially Peanuts) which is really great. It's one of the reasons I still subscribe to the KC Star. I also like Doonesbury and Dilbert. I really like Zippy, although it can be waaaay out there sometimes. I know lots of people don't like it or don't get it, but I think it's great.

Zippy? You like Zippy? I didn't think anyone liked Zippy. I always thought it was an inside joke in the newspaper industry. "Hey, let's put a picture with random sentences in the cartoon section and see if people think it's a real comic."

There's a comic called Lio that started out very promising, but the guy ran out of material really quickly. He had a great comic once, though, that showed a graveyard with tombstones reading "The Far Side", "Calvin & Hobbes", and a bunch of other great comic strips. Then on a road next to the graveyard, there was a happy parade of a bunch of lame comics that won't die like Family Circus, Hagar, Blondie, etc. I'm guessing he doesn't have a lot of people sitting next to him at cartoonist conventions.

pr_capone
03-31-2010, 10:48 AM
I miss The Boondocks so much.

I thought there was going to be another season on Cartoon Network. I really enjoyed that cartoon.

Reaper16
03-31-2010, 10:56 AM
I thought there was going to be another season on Cartoon Network. I really enjoyed that cartoon.
Season 3 will air later this year. That damned cartoon made Aaron McGruder stop making the daily comic.

RJ
03-31-2010, 11:00 AM
Great comic strip. Consistently funny and often pointed.

gblowfish
03-31-2010, 11:18 AM
Zippy? You like Zippy? I didn't think anyone liked Zippy. I always thought it was an inside joke in the newspaper industry. "Hey, let's put a picture with random sentences in the cartoon section and see if people think it's a real comic."

There's a comic called Lio that started out very promising, but the guy ran out of material really quickly. He had a great comic once, though, that showed a graveyard with tombstones reading "The Far Side", "Calvin & Hobbes", and a bunch of other great comic strips. Then on a road next to the graveyard, there was a happy parade of a bunch of lame comics that won't die like Family Circus, Hagar, Blondie, etc. I'm guessing he doesn't have a lot of people sitting next to him at cartoonist conventions.

I freakin LOVE Zippy. He's mentioned the Griff's Hamburger stand in Sedalia, and Knob Noster, MO in some of his old strips. He goes off on tangents, but I think his strip actually makes you think, and it's way out in left field sometimes, with references to pop culture, and psychiatry, and philosophy, and 50's kitsch, and mass merchandising. Did you know he was one of the cartoonists of Wacky Pack bubble gum cards back in the 1960s?

http://www.zippythepinhead.com/

I also like Dysfunctional Family Circus. One of the CP avi's has a strip from that with Billy saying "I'm Rick James, Bitch." Hilarious stuff.

http://dfc.furr.org/