PDA

View Full Version : Spinoff Thread: J. Charles trade value

Dante84
04-08-2010, 11:55 AM
In the Lounge there is a discussion about a hypothetical situation where we trade Charles for draft picks; and then draft Spiller with the 5th overall.

Keep in mind about Charles:
- He is very cheap for this year.
- He had a shoulder injury last year. (most likely healed).
- He had a ridiculous break out season.
- RB's are a dime a dozen, but a playmaker like him is hard to come by.

Keep in mind about Spiller:
- He projects to be incredible
- He projects to be a game changer at multiple positions (RB, WR, KR, PR)
- RB's are a dime a dozen, but a projected playmaker like him is hard to come by.

Keep in mind about the Chiefs:
- Pioli doesn't like sexy picks
- Pioli is not afraid to trade around on draft day
- Thomas Jones is a starting caliber RB, even if he's not a top 10 -15 RB

Question A: What is Charles worth? (top 10 draft pick? mid-late 1st? 2nd?)
Question B: What teams would realistically trade for him?
Question C: What would you do with this hypothetical earned pick?

The Franchise
04-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Priceless

Direckshun
04-08-2010, 11:57 AM
You almost definitely wouldn't get your worth for him. You rarely do for running backs.

And you don't want to do it anyway because we're not going for Spiller (which is a shame), and Jones only has a couple years on the vine left anyway.

Dante84
04-08-2010, 11:59 AM
**** For the record, I am not advocating this happens, just thought it would make for a lively discussion ****

CoMoChief
04-08-2010, 12:16 PM
**** For the record, I am not advocating this happens, just thought it would make for a lively discussion ****

There is no "For the Record" here at Chiefsplanet.

Whatever you post.....you actually mean it!!!

DaneMcCloud
04-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Holy Fuck.

Will shit EVER end?

First, it was trade Priest, then trade Larry, now trade Charles?

Let me ask you dumbshits who propose this bullshit: When has a trade EVER worked out well for the Chiefs?

Jared Allen? Tony Gonzalez?

JFC.

ModSocks
04-08-2010, 12:21 PM
You wouldn't get shit for him. Hell, what do you think one would get for Chris Johnson? A 2nd rnder at the most?

The Franchise
04-08-2010, 12:21 PM
Holy Fuck.

Will shit EVER end?

Let me ask you dumbshits who propose this bullshit: When has a trade EVER worked out well for the Chiefs?

JFC.

We're about to find out if the Tony trade is going to work out for us.

And if Morgan actually amounted to anything....the Allen trade wouldn't be that bad.

Nightfyre
04-08-2010, 12:40 PM
In answer to the OP: wherever spiller would go is likely where I would put charles' value.

Holy Fuck.

Will shit EVER end?

JFC.

Trading gonzalez was the best move of last offseason. 2-3 years of tony in which we aren't in contention, or potentially years of a first round talent?

Further, running backs, trade em while the gettin is good. They have such short careers and are more prone to injury than other positions. I would trade charles for a mid-first in a heartbeat. Because chances are he'll be washed up in 4-5 years, while a player like Graham could be effective for a decade.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaneMcCloud
04-08-2010, 01:02 PM
It's speculation on the Gonzalez trade, as Pioli hasn't selected yet.

As for the Allen trade, I'd rather have him than Albert and Charles.

Hootie
04-08-2010, 02:05 PM
so basically C.J. Spiller's ceiling is to be the next Jamaal Charles?

I think people forget how good Charles is catching the ball and running routes...

Which is why I could see him working the slot here and there when Thomas Jones is in the game.

MahiMike
04-09-2010, 08:35 AM
I wouldn't trade Charles for 2 1st round picks. Right now, he's the franchise.

RealSNR
04-09-2010, 08:47 AM
Trading away great players rarely works out if that's your team's only great player.

KCChiefsMan
04-09-2010, 08:58 AM
this is idiotic. GTFO

The Bad Guy
04-09-2010, 09:39 AM

I'd drive Jamaal to wherever he needed to go for 2 #1's.

DaneMcCloud
04-09-2010, 12:13 PM

LMAO

HemiEd
04-09-2010, 12:38 PM

That would actually make the JA trade, look much better at this point.

Brock
04-09-2010, 01:19 PM

:facepalm:

Hootie
04-09-2010, 01:59 PM

Yeah!

Then we could replace him with Robert Ayers and Knowshon Moreno!

Hootie
04-09-2010, 02:03 PM
I get the fact that building through the draft is super important...

But some of you take it WAY too far...

Do you think the Titans would trade Chris Johnson for two first round picks?

Well Jamaal Charles has all of the ability that Chris Johnson has...and Jamaal Charles is the type of play maker that makes everything around him better...you know...hence the reason the offensive line stopped giving up so many freaking sacks the last part of the year...

But lets just trade him every year so we might end up with Ernie Sims and Tye Hill...or maybe Chad Greenway and John McCargo!

OR BEST CASE SCENARIO A.J HAWK AND MICHAEL HUFF OR DONTE WHITNER!!!!

Hootie
04-09-2010, 02:05 PM
I also get the fact that Charles, probably at best, has 5 quality years since he's a RB...

But why the fuck would we trade a guy with superstar potential? It's fucking stupid.

Flip a coin in the 1st round...and you might get a guy with superstar ability...MAYBE. (Or you might get Vernon Gholston)...

Do it in the 2nd round and call it three times in a row!

But hey...

You drafturbators are all knowing!

You think the Colts are a great drafting team because they have the best player in NFL history on offense that makes that entire unit look an entire notch better than they really are...

RealSNR
04-09-2010, 04:00 PM
I get the fact that building through the draft is super important...

But some of you take it WAY too far...

Do you think the Titans would trade Chris Johnson for two first round picks?

Well Jamaal Charles has all of the ability that Chris Johnson has...and Jamaal Charles is the type of play maker that makes everything around him better...you know...hence the reason the offensive line stopped giving up so many freaking sacks the last part of the year...

But lets just trade him every year so we might end up with Ernie Sims and Tye Hill...or maybe Chad Greenway and John McCargo!

OR BEST CASE SCENARIO A.J HAWK AND MICHAEL HUFF OR DONTE WHITNER!!!!Well, depends on the first rounders that we get.

If they were both high first rounders, we could potentially have a first round of:

Eric Berry
Jimmy Clausen
CJ Spiller

In any order.

If that's the case, then bye bye Jamaal. GTFO.

Nightfyre
04-09-2010, 06:51 PM

+1

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-09-2010, 07:22 PM
If we took Spiller, he should be equal value to Charles, maybe better. And if we got a 2nd and 3rd for Charles we would be doing the team a better service than just drafting Berry at #5. Spiller would fix our return game also.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-09-2010, 07:31 PM
At some point, if you keep trading RBs this soon there's no point to even draft one.

Let him play out his first contract. Let him sign with someone else. Recoup draft pick compensation.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-09-2010, 07:32 PM
And no RB is going to get you two #1s. The market has been established for them.

Mecca
04-09-2010, 07:32 PM
No one would give you enough for him anyway, RB's are devalued.

You draft them play them till their first contract runs out, let them go and pick another one.

Nightfyre
04-09-2010, 07:33 PM
I wouldn't draft a 1st round RB, pretty much ever.

Mecca
04-09-2010, 07:34 PM
Yeah!

Then we could replace him with Robert Ayers and Knowshon Moreno!

Ok this is a stupid post, unless it's a franchise QB, a franchise LT or a franchise pass rusher, you take 2 #'1's every single time.

Hootie
04-09-2010, 11:30 PM
Ok this is a stupid post, unless it's a franchise QB, a franchise LT or a franchise pass rusher, you take 2 #'1's every single time.

because why?

I am going to assume the two #1's are probably not in the top 10...

So basically you are trading a superstar talent that makes everyone around him better for the chance to get two guys that JUST MIGHT have more impact than the guy you are trading away...

or you could get Knowshon Moreno and Robert Ayers who just make the team worse and you spend more money doing it!

Yes...

The draft is valuable.

Yes...

You MECCA overrate it.

I'm sorry...teams don't NEED 14 picks every year...

An extra one here and there is nice...maybe a few extra 2nds and 3rds...a 1st here and there for some trade that makes sense...

but you guys just want to go out and draft guys...watch them become good (Charles) and then say! HEY! lets trade them away for two firsts so maybe we can get another Charles and then trade him for another two firsts in another two years!

It's fucking stupid.

Jamaal Charles is 23.

TWENTY-THREE

He is UNTOUCHABLE.

Hootie
04-09-2010, 11:33 PM
(not to mention the fact Charles is dirt fucking cheap right now so if we want to extend him we have all of the leverage since RB's have such short shelf life and are eager to make money before they blow out both of their knees)...

Just ask Chris Johnson.

If I were Chris Johnson I wouldn't play another down until I was paid...sure he'd have to take less than market value...but he should at least get a knew contract...

Fuck that bullshit about him signing a rookie contract...he outplayed it...two years in a row...and now he should be paid like a top 5 running back...the Titans ought to tear that contract up and give him the average of the top 3 backs for the next three years and tell him "hey, we have the leverage, but we'll reward you...take it or leave it..." and I bet he'd probably take it.

lostcause
04-10-2010, 04:39 AM
this is idiotic. GTFO

this.

lostcause
04-10-2010, 04:45 AM
Honestly, the hypothetical of trading charles now for two #1s is grossly similar to trading Allen when we did. All of a sudden we have a superstar talent - now on offense - and then we ship him for draft picks. It's ok when they're old... i.e. tg. It's dumb when they're young and up and coming... i.e. allen and charles.

edit: two top 5's in consecutive years. Would you trade Jared Allen for Dorsey and Jackson and assume those contracts?

Nightfyre
04-10-2010, 01:14 PM
Honestly, the hypothetical of trading charles now for two #1s is grossly similar to trading Allen when we did. All of a sudden we have a superstar talent - now on offense - and then we ship him for draft picks. It's ok when they're old... i.e. tg. It's dumb when they're young and up and coming... i.e. allen and charles.

edit: two top 5's in consecutive years. Would you trade Jared Allen for Dorsey and Jackson and assume those contracts?

If I was changing to the 3-4, yes. It would be a no-brainer really.

Mecca
04-10-2010, 01:18 PM
No RB in the league is untouchable, a RB is easily replaceable.

If your teams best player is it's RB, you're fucked.

Nightfyre
04-10-2010, 01:20 PM
No RB in the league is untouchable, a RB is easily replaceable.

If your teams best player is it's RB, you're ****ed.

Or at least, you had better plan for the fact that he won't be your best player for much longer than a couple years more.

Mecca
04-10-2010, 01:26 PM
This team has signed RB's to 2nd contracts 2 straight times now and been burned, you'd think this fan base would get it.

If anyone offers you something stupid for your RB, you take it every time. RB is an easy position to replace and you never want a guy not on a rookie contract.

Hootie
04-10-2010, 02:27 PM
wake me up when Jamaal Charles isn't 23 and Mecca is actually making sense...

Your team is fucked if you don't have a good QB...everyone knows that...

Elway couldn't win a Super Bowl until he had Terrell Davis.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-10-2010, 03:44 PM
Trade Charles, Bowe, Albert, Flowers, Hali, and Dorsey for draft picks!!! Then in a few years trade the players we got for them for even more picks!!!