PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Covitz: Iowa’s Bulaga says illness is behind him as he heads into draft

Tribal Warfare
04-12-2010, 12:54 AM
Iowa’s Bulaga says illness is behind him as he heads into draft (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/04/11/1871104/iowas-bulaga-says-illness-is-behind.html)
By RANDY COVITZ
The Kansas City Star

The illness hit Iowa offensive tackle Bryan Bulaga harder than any pass-rushing defensive end.

Early in his junior season last fall, Bulaga was stricken with a viral infection in his thyroid that caused fatigue, a loss of stamina and an increased heart rate.

He missed three games and lost 10 pounds before returning to the lineup at left tackle. The first question Bulaga has heard from nearly every team considering him in the first round of the NFL draft was about his thyroid condition.

“It was a three-week thing that ran its course and now it’s gone,” Bulaga said at the NFL combine. “I’ve been checked by doctors at the Mayo Clinic and by my doctor at the University of Iowa, both endocrinologists. I’ve been cleared by both of them.

“Teams just ask me what it is, is it a lingering effect? My agent has sent out a statement from both doctors to every team doctor. I don’t think it’s going to be that much of an impact.”

Apparently not. Bulaga, 6 feet 5 and 310 pounds, is expected to be among the top three offensive tackles selected. Although the illness affected him upon his return because he was unable to lift weights or work out during the three-week absence, Bulaga finished strong, particularly in Iowa’s victory in the Orange Bowl when he ably handled Georgia Tech’s Derrick Morgan, another likely first-round pick.

“Anytime you can get a monthlong preparation, getting conditioning, getting reps, you’re going to be able to show very well,” Bulaga said of the Orange Bowl. “I felt really strong in that game, and I thought I performed pretty well.”

Bulaga, who began his career as a left guard, has the ability to play both sides of the line at guard or tackle, which should make him attractive to teams like the Chiefs.

“Bulaga is a tough, tough, throwback player, a very, very competitive football player, who is mean,” said Gil Brandt, a draft analyst for NFL.com and former personnel director of the Dallas Cowboys. “I don’t think you can go wrong with a team full of Bulagas. The thyroid condition is a factor …

“I think he can play left tackle. He’d be a great right tackle. He knows how to use his hands. Hand placement is very important now for offensive tackles. The guy has been really coached well. They do a great job at Iowa. I don’t like people who come out of school after three years. I wish he would have stayed there; it would have made him a better player than he already is.”

Bulaga said the thyroid condition was not a factor in his leaving school a year early.

“I thought I was ready to come out from a maturity standpoint and a production standpoint,” Bulaga said. “I thought I was ready to help out an NFL team right now.

“I like to think I’m the best tackle in the draft. Obviously, this is a very deep class, there are a lot of great players in it … it’s going to be exciting to see.”

Having played in a pro-style offense for Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz, a former NFL offensive-line coach, should help Bulaga make the jump from college.

“When you work with a guy like coach Ferentz, you’re just going to naturally get ready,” Bulaga said. “He runs a pro-style system.

“He runs pro camps, he runs pro practices … from the standpoint of run blocking, how it is done in the NFL is very similar to how we do it at Iowa … and is something a lot of NFL teams like to see.

“We’re in a three-point stance a lot. We’re getting after guys a lot. That’s kind of just our mentality and our style. I like that style of football. I like getting after it. I like putting my hand on the ground and going after a guy.”
By RANDY COVITZ
The Kansas City Star

The illness hit Iowa offensive tackle Bryan Bulaga harder than any pass-rushing defensive end.

Early in his junior season last fall, Bulaga was stricken with a viral infection in his thyroid that caused fatigue, a loss of stamina and an increased heart rate.

He missed three games and lost 10 pounds before returning to the lineup at left tackle. The first question Bulaga has heard from nearly every team considering him in the first round of the NFL draft was about his thyroid condition.

“It was a three-week thing that ran its course and now it’s gone,” Bulaga said at the NFL combine. “I’ve been checked by doctors at the Mayo Clinic and by my doctor at the University of Iowa, both endocrinologists. I’ve been cleared by both of them.

“Teams just ask me what it is, is it a lingering effect? My agent has sent out a statement from both doctors to every team doctor. I don’t think it’s going to be that much of an impact.”

Apparently not. Bulaga, 6 feet 5 and 310 pounds, is expected to be among the top three offensive tackles selected. Although the illness affected him upon his return because he was unable to lift weights or work out during the three-week absence, Bulaga finished strong, particularly in Iowa’s victory in the Orange Bowl when he ably handled Georgia Tech’s Derrick Morgan, another likely first-round pick.

“Anytime you can get a monthlong preparation, getting conditioning, getting reps, you’re going to be able to show very well,” Bulaga said of the Orange Bowl. “I felt really strong in that game, and I thought I performed pretty well.”

Bulaga, who began his career as a left guard, has the ability to play both sides of the line at guard or tackle, which should make him attractive to teams like the Chiefs.

“Bulaga is a tough, tough, throwback player, a very, very competitive football player, who is mean,” said Gil Brandt, a draft analyst for NFL.com and former personnel director of the Dallas Cowboys. “I don’t think you can go wrong with a team full of Bulagas. The thyroid condition is a factor …

“I think he can play left tackle. He’d be a great right tackle. He knows how to use his hands. Hand placement is very important now for offensive tackles. The guy has been really coached well. They do a great job at Iowa. I don’t like people who come out of school after three years. I wish he would have stayed there; it would have made him a better player than he already is.”

Bulaga said the thyroid condition was not a factor in his leaving school a year early.

“I thought I was ready to come out from a maturity standpoint and a production standpoint,” Bulaga said. “I thought I was ready to help out an NFL team right now.

“I like to think I’m the best tackle in the draft. Obviously, this is a very deep class, there are a lot of great players in it … it’s going to be exciting to see.”

Having played in a pro-style offense for Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz, a former NFL offensive-line coach, should help Bulaga make the jump from college.

“When you work with a guy like coach Ferentz, you’re just going to naturally get ready,” Bulaga said. “He runs a pro-style system.

“He runs pro camps, he runs pro practices … from the standpoint of run blocking, how it is done in the NFL is very similar to how we do it at Iowa … and is something a lot of NFL teams like to see.

“We’re in a three-point stance a lot. We’re getting after guys a lot. That’s kind of just our mentality and our style. I like that style of football. I like getting after it. I like putting my hand on the ground and going after a guy.”

Mecca
04-12-2010, 12:58 AM
So they're really going with the idea that Bulaga is the Chiefs pick.

DaneMcCloud
04-12-2010, 01:12 AM
How many people have been "former" NFL offensive line coaches?

And why does anyone place any stock in this idea?

beach tribe
04-12-2010, 05:43 AM

Didn't even read it.

If they pick this guy, my head is going to explode.

suds79
04-12-2010, 07:02 AM
Didn't even read it.

Yep same here.

I'll be p!ssed if they reach again but even if they did, there's so many other positions of greater need they could do it at.

teedubya
04-12-2010, 08:09 AM
My crystal ball feels that this is the fucking pick that the fucking Chiefs are gonna fucking pick. FUCK. Why is Truman Sports Complex teeming with mediocrity. FUCK

CoMoChief
04-12-2010, 10:05 AM
Fuck it, trade down and draft a TE.

CHIEFS STYLE!!!!

Mr. Laz
04-12-2010, 10:06 AM
Didn't even read it.

so there IS an upside to the selection

:D

Mr. Laz
04-12-2010, 10:07 AM
My crystal ball feels that this is the fucking pick that the fucking Chiefs are gonna fucking pick. FUCK. Why is Truman Sports Complex teeming with mediocrity. FUCK
nah ... i give it a 1% chance

gblowfish
04-12-2010, 10:21 AM
They need to trade out of #5, move down to about #15 in 1st round, pick up an extra 3rd or 4th rounder and stockpile. If you're not going to go after a skill position guy early, plug more holes.

rambleonthruthefog
04-12-2010, 10:23 AM

same reason anyone would put any stock into the opinion of an internet dork. only buying what a former NFL coach has to say is much more understandable. what a clueless douche you continue to be thread after thread after thread after thread. that being said, f*ck bulaga as the 5th pick!

Frankie
04-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Covitz: Iowa’s Bulaga says illness is behind him ...

Gosh I hope he'll never play Center or he might infect the QB.

AndChiefs
04-12-2010, 11:12 AM
"I think he can play left tackle. He’d be a great right tackle."

That's the most important part of the article to me....sounds exactly like what we have.

Mr. Laz
04-12-2010, 11:23 AM
That's the most important part of the article to me....sounds exactly like what we have.
oh noes he didn'

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/2547683/2/istockphoto_2547683_oh_no_you_didn_t.jpg

ROFL

beach tribe
04-12-2010, 12:32 PM
so there IS an upside to the selection

:D

Lmao

Fish
04-12-2010, 02:08 PM
“I don’t think you can go wrong with a team full of Bulagas."

This makes me laugh hysterically....

Fish
04-12-2010, 02:09 PM
Why was the story posted twice?
Why was the story posted twice?

RJ
04-12-2010, 02:36 PM
Didn't even read it.

Just thinking about it makes me a little ill.