PDA

View Full Version : Life Random Act of Kindness Part II

Mr. Flopnuts
04-17-2010, 05:28 PM
I'm blown away right now. A lot of you know that I used to be morbidly obese. I pronounced myself the fattest guy on this board at the end of 2007 when I weighed 450lbs. I was unable to walk around the grocery store, I was unable to do pretty much anything that required physical exultation because of my sheer size. The strain it put on my back and my legs and my knees were unbearable.

pr_capone started a weight loss thread at the start of 2008 and I jumped on board. I had never tried to lose weight in my life but I knew I was going to die very soon if I didn't do something about it. Rather than just jumping straight into some surgery I decided to make an honest attempt through diet and exercise first.

I called it the running and rabbit food diet. Lost about 130lbs in six months and got back down to the size I was at when I graduated high school. From there, I had always been that size so I got complacent. Didn't gain any weight, but didn't lose any.

The wife and I went to Reno last year and I stopped going to the gym. Stopped watching what I was eating and gained 35lbs back in the last 4 months of last year. I decided then that it was time to finish the job.

This year I've lost over 50lbs and am well on my way to getting to a normal size, which is something I've never been able to say. I started running about 3 months ago, and I had never ran a mile straight in my whole life before about a month and a half ago. I ran 5 miles this morning without stopping. I feel good.

Anyways, a couple months ago I started a thread about someone on this board who I had little contact with that contacted me and wanted to do something nice for me. It was my random acts of kindness thread, some of you may remember it.

Well, it happened again today. I'm very active online. I try to reach out to obese people and let them know that they can make changes. They are worth it. They are good enough. If they want it badly enough, no one can stop them. Not even themselves.

24 Hour Fitness is my gym. That's where I've worked out from the very beginning. I was on their facebook page a couple of weeks ago and they asked what motivated you. I spilled the beans on my journey and what I had accomplished. Yeah, I do like to brag a little bit, I feel like I've earned it. But really I just want people out there in a similar situation to mine see that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. That there's a way out. That nothing is stronger than the human spirit.

Today I received a package. The corporate offices at 24 hour fitness sent me a thank you card as well as some bracelets, pins, water bottle, and a bodybugg. The bodybugg is a device that you strap to your arm that takes the guesswork out of weight loss. It tells you how many calories you're burning throughout the day. Whether you're working out, or sitting on your ass. With the bodybugg you know what you're burning. It's a magnificent tool that costs over $200. They sent it to me for free.

Needless to say, they have a customer for life. I mean, they already did. I have a great relationship with all of their employees and they've done other things at no charge to help me along the way. This blew me away though. Enough that I wanted to start a thread and pimp them. Because this type of thing just doesn't happen anymore.

No one can ever convince me that 24 hour fitness doesn't care. I know otherwise. Thanks for reading this.

Count Zarth
04-17-2010, 05:35 PM
Flopnuts, I can't run 5 miles without stopping to walk part of the way.

Congratulations.

http://i.imgur.com/4wdnH.gif (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1174)

Baconeater
04-17-2010, 05:39 PM
http://i42.tinypic.com/121r3bt.jpg

milkman
04-17-2010, 05:41 PM
I've never been overweight, and I have never been able to run 5 miles non stop in my life.

JD10367
04-17-2010, 05:43 PM
I'm only slightly overweight (around 6'3" and 240 pounds) and I can't WALK five miles.

sedated
04-17-2010, 05:47 PM
Yeah, I do like to brag a little bit, I feel like I've earned it.

I can't think of anything more worth a little bragging than losing weight and getting in shape. Its one of the hardest things to do in america (especially in the suburbs), certainly in the top 2 toughest things I've ever done in my life (and I only lost 60; 240 to 180)

SnakeXJones
04-17-2010, 05:49 PM
Thats awesome :thumb: I need to work off my winter weight(10-15 lbs)

Count Zarth
04-17-2010, 05:49 PM
Maybe one of these days we could have a Chiefsplanet marathon. I bet Floppy would embarrass a lot of us.

Sfeihc
04-17-2010, 05:50 PM
Congrats to you, Mr. Flopnuts! Your story is a testament to human will power and it's also very inspiring. Enjoy the fruits of your labor.

sedated
04-17-2010, 05:51 PM
Maybe one of these days we could have a Chiefsplanet marathon. I bet Floppy would embarrass a lot of us.

I don't see how people run those. I ran for 90 minutes once on a treadmill and my knee was f**ked up for a couple of weeks.

Mr. Flopnuts
I can't think of anything more worth a little bragging than losing weight and getting in shape. Its one of the hardest things to do in america (especially in the suburbs), certainly in the top 2 toughest things I've ever done in my life (and I only lost 60; 240 to 180)

You know, I agree. Particularly when you're looking at 225lbs that you need to lose. I mean, that's more than the average man weighs. It's like trying to lose 2 adult women, heh.

That's why I try to be so active online with fatties. I know first hand how daunting it can feel at times. I didn't say much in the beginning, but now that I've lost 150lbs in total I feel like I can be a motivator for people who have none.

I appreciate the kind words, but this was really just a forum for me to announce what a thoroughly awesome company 24 Hour Fitness is. I can't believe they took the time, or spent the money. Who does that in 2010? Seriously.

threebag02
Way to go Flopnuts!!

Count Zarth
04-17-2010, 05:57 PM
I don't see how people run those. I ran for 90 minutes once on a treadmill and my knee was f**ked up for a couple of weeks.

You probably need better shoes and insoles.

Marathons seem hard but when you're hydrating and eating the entire time it's a little easier.

Fairplay
04-17-2010, 05:58 PM
Nothing wrong with patting yourself on the back for what you are doing.

Congrats man.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-17-2010, 05:58 PM
You probably need better shoes and insoles.

Marathons seem hard but when you're hydrating and eating the entire time it's a little easier.

Absolutely.

"Bob" Dobbs
04-17-2010, 06:05 PM
Nice job, buddy!

Mr. Flopnuts
04-17-2010, 06:14 PM
Wish I could do that. I know how much I hate myself, and hate what my daughter sees. Great job, man. Proud of you.

Thanks Sully. You ever decide to make some changes just hit me up. I'll give you some ideas for food, exercise, anything that can help you along the way. Just let me know. It would genuinely be my pleasure.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-17-2010, 06:17 PM
Wish I could do that. I know how much I hate myself, and hate what my daughter sees. Great job, man. Proud of you.

I hope you don't mind, I sent you a friends request on facebook.

Saulbadguy
04-17-2010, 06:20 PM
That's awesome. You are an inspiration to us all, Flopnuts. I saw you complete the C25k program and thought to myself that surely I can do that.

Toadkiller
04-17-2010, 06:21 PM
Heya Flop. I was up to 345, my kids told me one day, Papa I cant wait till you are skinny so you can play with us more. The next day I went on a diet. I started walking around the block, barely getting around it once, then got up to 4, 5, 10 times. I started the fat guy shuffle, some might call it jogging. Did the couch potato to 5k thing and got up to running an hour straight. Did a round of power 90 and now am on round 2 of p90x. So it has been about 1.5 years, I am down to 223, I have muscles and pecs and stuff, I am getting some friggen muscles in my stomach that you can see.

My kids are 7, 4, and 2 and I am now able to keep up with them. Getting off my butt was the best thing I ever did for myself.

Sully
04-17-2010, 06:31 PM
I hope you don't mind, I sent you a friends request on facebook.

I accepted it.

I want to apologize. I realize after posting what I did I was wrong, that this thread should be about accolades for your accomplishments, and by feeling sorry for me, I was shifting focus away from that.

Great job, Flop. I've got all the respect in the world for what you've done.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-17-2010, 06:33 PM
That's awesome. You are an inspiration to us all, Flopnuts. I saw you complete the C25k program and thought to myself that surely I can do that.

Thanks hombre. I still get on that facebook page and tell everyone that if a 350lb fat guy can complete that program, anyone can. I'm glad you're on board. All I want to do is make people understand that they're good enough, strong enough, and worth the effort.

Heya Flop. I was up to 345, my kids told me one day, Papa I cant wait till you are skinny so you can play with us more. The next day I went on a diet. I started walking around the block, barely getting around it once, then got up to 4, 5, 10 times. I started the fat guy shuffle, some might call it jogging. Did the couch potato to 5k thing and got up to running an hour straight. Did a round of power 90 and now am on round 2 of p90x. So it has been about 1.5 years, I am down to 223, I have muscles and pecs and stuff, I am getting some friggen muscles in my stomach that you can see.

My kids are 7, 4, and 2 and I am now able to keep up with them. Getting off my butt was the best thing I ever did for myself.

:clap: That's so awesome man. I'm at 295 right now and I can't wait to get down to 220. At 450 I could barely muscle my way around the neighborhood for 20 minutes at a time. I was talking to my doctor about it and he told me to "Man up." That was honestly all I needed to hear. Congratulations man. I know you're happy. Your kids have to be thrilled. They helped you save your life.

milkman
04-17-2010, 06:33 PM
I accepted it.

I want to apologize. I realize after posting what I did I was wrong, that this thread should be about accolades for your accomplishments, and by feeling sorry for me, I was shifting focus away from that.

Technically, this post was supposed to be praise for 24 Hour Fitness.

We don't give a rat's ass about Floppy's accomplishment.

Useless bastard son.

Sully
04-17-2010, 06:35 PM

Useless bastard son.

ROFL

damn.

Marcellus
04-17-2010, 06:36 PM
Fuckin A! Keep it up. I had no idea you had lost 150lbs.

Mr. Flopnuts
I accepted it.

No. Thank you my friend, but this thread is about 24 hour fitness and their wonderful act of unsolicited kindness.

And my offer stands. If you ever decide it's time to do some things differently, I will be honored if you allow me to be one of the first to jump on your bandwagon.

That offer is there for anyone. I haven't found too many things in my life that bring me more joy than the knowledge that I'm helping someone help them self. I imagine Silock feels somewhat similarly knowing everything he's done for me in the last couple of years.

Mr. Flopnuts

Useless bastard son.

ROFL Love ya Dad. You're spot on there. :)

Delano
04-17-2010, 06:40 PM
The coolest thing about this deal is ol' Flopster will pay it forward 10 times.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Flopnuts
04-17-2010, 06:41 PM
The coolest thing about this deal is ol' Flopster will pay it forward 10 times.
Posted via Mobile Device

And more should I get the opportunity. Thanks buddy.

Sully
04-17-2010, 06:46 PM
No. Thank you my friend, but this thread is about 24 hour fitness and their wonderful act of unsolicited kindness.

And my offer stands. If you ever decide it's time to do some things differently, I will be honored if you allow me to be one of the first to jump on your bandwagon.

That offer is there for anyone. I haven't found too many things in my life that bring me more joy than the knowledge that I'm helping someone help them self. I imagine Silock feels somewhat similarly knowing everything he's done for me in the last couple of years.

I'd never heard of C25k before. I just looked it up and am intrigued. Even has podcasts.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-17-2010, 06:49 PM
I'd never heard of C25k before. I just looked it up and am intrigued. Even has podcasts.

Great, great program. Running is the single most important thing I've done this time around because it continues to motivate me to improve. I'm actually racing in my first 5K next Sunday. I'm pretty excited about it. I ran for distance instead of time because I only run about a 12 minute mile time. And it wasn't that fast when I first started out.

Their facebook page is a great source of online inspiration and tips.

sedated
04-17-2010, 06:51 PM
That's why I try to be so active online with fatties. I know first hand how daunting it can feel at times.

The problem is that its a marathon (no pun intended), and so easy to get fed up, sick of, or frustrated. A person really needs strong motivation from within to stick with it.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-17-2010, 06:58 PM
The problem is that its a marathon (no pun intended), and so easy to get fed up, sick of, or frustrated. A person really needs strong motivation from within to stick with it.

It really is. And if you're staring over 100lbs in the face that you need to lose, it's hard to see real results for the first few months. That alone is enough to frustrate people into quitting. It did for me. I got back down to my old high school weight and said fuck it. This is where I've always been anyways, who cares? It's incredibly easy to forget what you're fighting for, at every single stage along the way.

Dave Lane
04-17-2010, 07:08 PM
Awesome job dude! Really glad to hear one of my favorite posters is going to stick around for awhile :thumb:

chiefzilla1501
04-17-2010, 07:13 PM
I'm blown away right now. A lot of you know that I used to be morbidly obese. I pronounced myself the fattest guy on this board at the end of 2007 when I weighed 450lbs. I was unable to walk around the grocery store, I was unable to do pretty much anything that required physical exultation because of my sheer size. The strain it put on my back and my legs and my knees were unbearable.

pr_capone started a weight loss thread at the start of 2008 and I jumped on board. I had never tried to lose weight in my life but I knew I was going to die very soon if I didn't do something about it. Rather than just jumping straight into some surgery I decided to make an honest attempt through diet and exercise first.

I called it the running and rabbit food diet. Lost about 130lbs in six months and got back down to the size I was at when I graduated high school. From there, I had always been that size so I got complacent. Didn't gain any weight, but didn't lose any.

The wife and I went to Reno last year and I stopped going to the gym. Stopped watching what I was eating and gained 35lbs back in the last 4 months of last year. I decided then that it was time to finish the job.

This year I've lost over 50lbs and am well on my way to getting to a normal size, which is something I've never been able to say. I started running about 3 months ago, and I had never ran a mile straight in my whole life before about a month and a half ago. I ran 5 miles this morning without stopping. I feel good.

Anyways, a couple months ago I started a thread about someone on this board who I had little contact with that contacted me and wanted to do something nice for me. It was my random acts of kindness thread, some of you may remember it.

Well, it happened again today. I'm very active online. I try to reach out to obese people and let them know that they can make changes. They are worth it. They are good enough. If they want it badly enough, no one can stop them. Not even themselves.

24 Hour Fitness is my gym. That's where I've worked out from the very beginning. I was on their facebook page a couple of weeks ago and they asked what motivated you. I spilled the beans on my journey and what I had accomplished. Yeah, I do like to brag a little bit, I feel like I've earned it. But really I just want people out there in a similar situation to mine see that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. That there's a way out. That nothing is stronger than the human spirit.

Today I received a package. The corporate offices at 24 hour fitness sent me a thank you card as well as some bracelets, pins, water bottle, and a bodybugg. The bodybugg is a device that you strap to your arm that takes the guesswork out of weight loss. It tells you how many calories you're burning throughout the day. Whether you're working out, or sitting on your ass. With the bodybugg you know what you're burning. It's a magnificent tool that costs over $200. They sent it to me for free.

Needless to say, they have a customer for life. I mean, they already did. I have a great relationship with all of their employees and they've done other things at no charge to help me along the way. This blew me away though. Enough that I wanted to start a thread and pimp them. Because this type of thing just doesn't happen anymore.

No one can ever convince me that 24 hour fitness doesn't care. I know otherwise. Thanks for reading this.

Those $200 probably made them several thousands of dollars in future revenue.

Good on them. But amazing how many companies don't understand that.

Good for you, by the way. Pretty amazing story.

-King-
04-17-2010, 07:18 PM
Good job Floppy. I'm always amazed how people can stay on diets and exercise faithfully for months or years at a time. Takes real mental strength more than physical strength IMO.

How exactly do those Bodybugg things work exactly? Are they like the weight scales that measure bodyfat by sending electrical pulses through your body?

Mr. Flopnuts
04-17-2010, 07:23 PM
Good job Floppy. I'm always amazed how people can stay on diets and exercise faithfully for months or years at a time. Takes real mental strength more than physical strength IMO.

How exactly do those Bodybugg things work exactly? Are they like the weight scales that measure bodyfat by sending electrical pulses through your body?

I had one of the first generation ones they made a few years ago and loved it. I sold it after I stopped working out in 2008. I've been wanting one of the new ones for a while now but couldn't justify spending the money with some of the things going on in my life right now. Here's some info on it.

http://www.bodybugg.com/science_behind_bodybugg.php

The bodybugg® is the most accurate device on the market today for measuring calorie expenditure outside of a clinical setting.

It utilizes a patented process for interpreting calorie burn called "sensor fusion" developed by BodyMedia, Inc. This process involves collecting a range of body-data using multiple physiological sensors instead of a single sensor, which is what other calorie estimation devices such as pedometers and heart rate monitors rely on. It's this multi-sensor approach that enables bodybugg® to "see" the wearer's context (whether they are sitting, sleeping, jogging, walking, etc.) that makes bodybugg® such a reliably accurate device for calorie expenditure estimation.
The Physiological Sensors

Here is a list of the sensors in the bodybugg® followed by a short description of how they contribute to energy expenditure estimation.

1. Accelerometer - The accelerometer in bodybugg® is a tri-axis micro-electro-mechanical sensor (MEMS) device that measures motion. This motion can be mapped to forces (g-force) exerted on the body. By taking gravity and motion into account along with the other sensor data, the wearer's body context and true level of physical exertion can be accurately predicted.
2. Heat Flux - The bodybugg® also contains a proprietary heat flux sensor located on the side that measures the amount of heat being dissipated by the body via a thermally resistant material. In short, this sensor measures how much heat the wearer's body is giving off. Heat flux is an important parameter because the body tends to heat up the faster it burns calories.
3. Galvanic Skin Response - Better known as GSR, this sensor is comprised of two "hypo-allergenic" stainless steel electrodes on the back of the armband that measure skin conductivity. Skin conductivity is how much an electrical current can pass between two points on the surface of the skin and is affected by sweat due to physical exertion as well as emotional stimuli such as psychological stress.
4. Skin Temperature - Skin temperature is measured by using a highly accurate thermistor-based sensor located on the back of the bodybugg®. Looking at continuous measurement of skin temperature in conjunction with data collected from the other sensors can reveal the body's core temperature trends which are affected by the level of a person's physical exertion or lack thereof.

The data these 4 sensors collect, in conjunction with the wearer's specific body parameters (age, gender, height, weight) enable the most accurate estimation of energy expenditure on the market today outside of a clinical setting.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-17-2010, 07:24 PM
Those $200 probably made them several thousands of dollars in future revenue.

Good on them. But amazing how many companies don't understand that.

Good for you, by the way. Pretty amazing story.

I'm going to do everything I can to make sure it does. They deserve it AFAIC. Thanks for the encouragement!

Count Zarth
04-17-2010, 07:26 PM
I'm always amazed how people can stay on diets and exercise faithfully for months or years at a time. Takes real mental strength more than physical strength IMO.

Your mentality should not be that you are dieting.

Your mentality should be that your life has changed.

Eat to live, don't live to eat.

Once you adjust you won't even crave shitty fast food or soft drinks anymore.

CosmicPal
04-17-2010, 08:19 PM
Congrats! :thumb: You're a bigger man than me. (Pun intended) :D

I wish you the best...

Bearcat
04-17-2010, 08:35 PM
That's awesome... I knew you were doing the couch to 5k and stuff, but didn't know you had done so much to get to that point.

MadMax
04-17-2010, 09:07 PM
God bless you my brother I am soooo proud of you. I know how hard it is to lose weight and you have worked so hard at it. It is so easy to get complacent and just be happy with losing some weight rather than go the whole enchilada and do it right. You, my friend are doing it right with diet and exercise. I was in good shape for most of my life and then I fell apart ( not an excuse ) but I have 3 diseases working against me so I have basically given up at this point. I will look to you as an inspiration and I swear to God as my witness I will again be in good shape. Heck at one point me and Eric both were benching 300 and I was working out with 275 so I can get there I just need to care again. Damn son I love you so much just want you to be happy,healthy and successful. :)

Mr. Flopnuts
04-17-2010, 09:17 PM
God bless you my brother I am soooo proud of you. I know how hard it is to lose weight and you have worked so hard at it. It is so easy to get complacent and just be happy with losing some weight rather than go the whole enchilada and do it right. You, my friend are doing it right with diet and exercise. I was in good shape for most of my life and then I fell apart ( not an excuse ) but I have 3 diseases working against me so I have basically given up at this point. I will look to you as an inspiration and I swear to God as my witness I will again be in good shape. Heck at one point me and Eric both were benching 300 and I was working out with 275 so I can get there I just need to care again. Damn son I love you so much just want you to be happy,healthy and successful. :)

I appreciate that brother. You know I do. I've been around Chiefsplanet for 5 years now. I've made some real friends, and found a ton of inspiration. Not only that, but I have an outlet now as an out of town fan to talk about this team. Thanks for introducing this place to me. Not a lot of people can say Chiefsplanet has changed their life for the better, but I can. It was here that everything began.

Gonzo
04-17-2010, 09:36 PM
Congrats big daddy. You stick with it and before you know it, you and I will be on the beach in Mexico, sipping margaritas and wearing speedos.
Posted via Mobile Device

LetsSignRussell
04-17-2010, 09:38 PM
Floppy

First off I'm extremely happy for you. I have a passion for health and human performance. Once mid may hits I'm going to be starting my own journey. My goals are different from yours as I'm wanting to pack on the size and muscle. All in all it's all the same. It takes discipline, extrmeme mental strenth, planning, time, effort, etc. You are truly an inspiration and I know I can think back to this as motivation. It couldn't have happened to a better person. As we know it only takes an excuse to lose all motivation. So congrats and stay motivated!

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.
Thomas Jefferson

Lumpy
04-17-2010, 09:41 PM
Congrats big daddy. You stick with it and before you know it, you and I will be on the beach in Mexico, sipping margaritas and wearing speedos.
Posted via Mobile Device

:spock: Okay?

LMAO

Congrats Flopster! Keep up the good work! :thumb:

Priest31kc
04-17-2010, 09:46 PM

Damn man, thats exactly what I want to do. Im about 240 as well, 6'0 tall.

And congrats to Flopnuts, I admire ppl like you. I wish I had the will power to get on the treadmill and eat better.

listopencil
04-17-2010, 10:30 PM
Congrats man. Good to hear. I think I can say that all the decent people who frequent this site are behind you completely.