PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs "This is the slowest defense I've seen in Years" - Trent Dilfer

The Bad Guy
04-18-2010, 10:40 AM
Dilfer made this quote on the SportsCenter segment Chiefs on the clock. He said the overall athleticism of the defense is the slowest he's seen and how mentally slow they are responding is another concern.

I think this is an excellent point.

Hopefully Romeo is bringing in a defense where guys can just play and not spend so much thinking like in Clancy's Pendergast's scheme.

But we also have to get more athletes. I count roughly 4 pure athletes on this entire starting defense. Flowers, Carr, Hali and DJ (assuming he starts).

They all pretty much agreed that Eric Berry should be the pick, which is something Mel Kiper, Jr. keeps saying in his mocks.

Oh, and I read today that several scouts feel Bulaga is the most overrated prospect in this draft and he was owned by speed rushers in college. He had a 3rd round grade on a lot of boards. Thankfully for us, our GM doesn't believe in grades. Hopefully my high school students don't hear Scott Pioli's message about grading.

CoMoChief
04-18-2010, 11:07 AM
My response......."yeah, so what?"

notorious
04-18-2010, 11:10 AM
Water is wet, Women have secrets. Who gives a fuck?

tyler360
04-18-2010, 11:14 AM
He is right too. Hopefully Berry will fix that.

CaliforniaChief
04-18-2010, 11:15 AM
I'm a huge Hawkeyes fan and I'd be extremely upset if we picked Bulaga. He was a better than serviceable LT in the Big Ten...but really had issues with the better ones, especially Brandon Graham.

milkman
04-18-2010, 11:20 AM

Not in the least bit surprising.

milkman
04-18-2010, 11:21 AM
I'm a huge Hawkeyes fan and I'd be extremely upset if we picked Bulaga. He was a better than serviceable LT in the Big Ten...but really had issues with the better ones, especially Brandon Graham.

So what is your opinion on O'Callaway.

The added (O') is an expession of my opinion.

DeezNutz
04-18-2010, 11:22 AM
"We're looking for slow, dumb football players." /Dayton Pioli

CaliforniaChief
04-18-2010, 11:25 AM
So what is your opinion on O'Callaway.

The added (O') is an expession of my opinion.

Not a huge fan, honestly. The only Hawkeye coming out that I'm head-over-heels for is Pat Angerer. Hamas helped me see some of the downside on him, but ultimately I believe he is going to do well.

A.J. Edds would be ok, but I think most of those guys are the product of a really good coach who knows how to use them in a particular system.

The Bad Guy
04-18-2010, 11:26 AM

My response:

You eat dicks. Lots of them.

threebag02
04-18-2010, 11:39 AM
My response:

ROFL

WilliamTheIrish
04-18-2010, 11:50 AM
Yea, this team moves like a group of tortoises.

WilliamTheIrish
04-18-2010, 11:51 AM
My response:

Oh shit. LMAO

Delano
04-18-2010, 11:52 AM
http://cjonline.com/files/editorial/images/additional/57/new102609chiefsSproles.jpg

What you talkin' 'bout? We fast!

chiefzilla1501
04-18-2010, 11:56 AM
Water is wet, Women have secrets. Who gives a ****?

I think the more interesting point wasn't so much that our players were slow, but that they were really slow to react. As if they were overthinking.

That was Pendergast's reputation even before he came into KC. Similar problem we saw with Greg Robinson.

Count Alex's Wins
04-18-2010, 01:18 PM
The only fast players on that defense were DJ and Carr. DJ couldn't tackle for shit and Carr, though he had a decent season, got picked on.

Even the best players lack speed - Hali, Flowers.

Solution:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_c3v0yIrAxb8/SRFHSQxPeFI/AAAAAAAAAzg/GnnFGnoMHTY/s400/Eric+Berry+clouds.jpg

CaliforniaChief
04-18-2010, 01:19 PM
Can Usain Bolt play safety/return kicks?

B_Ambuehl
04-18-2010, 01:23 PM
New England and Miami have also been accused of having extremely slow defenses.

Think that's a coincidence?

It's largely the scheme/philosophy. Parcells disciples like size over speed and quickness.

SenselessChiefsFan
04-18-2010, 03:17 PM
Water is wet, Women have secrets. Who gives a ****?

Sorry, but there is no way that women have secrets, my wife would have told me.

Pushead2
04-18-2010, 03:21 PM
My response:

ROFL

DTLB58
04-18-2010, 03:24 PM
Yep, That's why I wouldn't be upset if we go S, NT, ILB with our first 3 picks.

Pushead2
04-18-2010, 03:25 PM
:nosmilie:I know the LT is coming and thats when I leave the draft in shame

Jerm
04-18-2010, 03:31 PM
I actually like Dilfer's explanation...he said they played so because there was too much going on and they were over thinking things which is true.

Hopefully Romeo clears it up.

KChiefs1
04-18-2010, 04:24 PM
Berry would add some speed.

GoHuge
04-18-2010, 05:47 PM
So a bunch of unathletic mental-midgets.........you had to play the game to have such insight? Must be readers of CP or Master of the Obvious (Teicher).

Fairplay
04-18-2010, 07:29 PM
I think we will trade down, if not i think we will get Berry.

Ralphy Boy
04-18-2010, 07:32 PM
Oh, and I read today that several scouts feel Bulaga is the most overrated prospect in this draft and he was owned by speed rushers in college. He had a 3rd round grade on a lot of boards. Thankfully for us, our GM doesn't believe in grades. Hopefully my high school students don't hear Scott Pioli's message about grading.

I agree with this. I think he'll be good, but nowhere near a top 15 talent. I had him going to at 23 to Green Bay in my mock (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=226710).

Miles
04-18-2010, 07:35 PM
Pretty good comment. Over the past 2 years or so, Trent Dilfer has easily become one of the better NFL analysts on TV/Radio.

notorious
04-18-2010, 07:37 PM
Pretty good comment. Over the past 2 years or so, Trent Dilfer has easily become one of the better NFL analysts on TV/Radio.

I enjoy his takes. He understands the position VERY well.

Mr. Laz
04-18-2010, 07:42 PM
a couple of quality LB's and Safety in the draft this year would do wonders for our speed.

S Eric Berry
ILB Sean Lee
OLB Jerry Hughes

BOOM BITCHES!!!

chiefhawk1
04-18-2010, 07:44 PM
I am also an Iowa fan and i disagree with you. Bulaga did struggle a little with graham, but he was also just returning from his thyroid problem. When he was at full strength he was a dominant LT. Did you not watch the Orange Bowl against that DE? Or what about his sophomore year against Maybin of PSU? Bulaga is young and will only get better.

On Calloway, I feel that he could excel as a right guard or right tackle. He is a great run blocker and would not have to deal with speed rushers. He would be a great pick in the 3rd or 4th.

BossChief
04-18-2010, 07:50 PM
If Bulaga had decided not to play against Michigan because of illness he would have NO knocks on him from film.

I cant remember him getting beaten by anyone else, in the big ten where line play is emphasized.

People talk about him on here like he is "just a guy" when he is far from that.

Its too bad we don't need a left tackle, he would be a very good one to pick if we did.

irishjayhawk
04-18-2010, 07:51 PM
I think this can be attributed to the number of D-coords and schemes we've had over the past 5 years.

Count Alex's Wins
04-18-2010, 07:58 PM
I think this can be attributed to the number of D-coords and schemes we've had over the past 5 years.

:rolleyes:

It's attributed to a bunch of guys who are slow, no other reason.

Vrabel
Hali
McGraw
Brown
Mays

Coogs
04-18-2010, 08:09 PM
At least Mike Brown is no longer on the team. That alone should boost overall team speed on the defense pretty significantly.

Count Alex's Wins
04-18-2010, 08:17 PM
At least Mike Brown is no longer on the team. That alone should boost overall team speed on the defense pretty significantly.

Not if we don't draft Berry and stick Page out there again.

Page has average speed, at best.

irishjayhawk
04-18-2010, 10:15 PM
:rolleyes:

It's attributed to a bunch of guys who are slow, no other reason.

Vrabel
Hali
McGraw
Brown
Mays

Not saying it isn't. But it's also hard to be fast when you're doing too much thinking on which scheme you're in, where you're supposed to be, etc.

BigRock
04-19-2010, 02:40 AM
New England and Miami have also been accused of having extremely slow defenses.

Think that's a coincidence?

Yes.

Only four of the eleven starters were signed last year. The majority of those slow sumbitches were already here.

KCtotheSB
04-19-2010, 09:25 AM
"So a quadrapalegic rolled down the field 82 yards for a touchdown, so what?"

beach tribe
04-19-2010, 11:40 AM
The replacement of Mike Brown should do a lot to resolve this problem, but there are still a lot more slow ass reacting players on this D. I really think they should move Page to SS, and draft a fast FS.

I've been meaning to ask, has anyone heard ANYTHING regarding DeJaun Morgan?
I thought he was a good college player, and would see the field a little more.
Is he just a completely wasted third round pick, or is he at least going to be a serviceable back up or something.
Anything?

Detoxing
04-19-2010, 11:54 AM
The replacement of Mike Brown should do a lot to resolve this problem, but there are still a lot more slow ass reacting players on this D. I really think they should move Page to SS, and draft a fast FS.

I've been meaning to ask, has anyone heard ANYTHING regarding DeJaun Morgan?
I thought he was a good college player, and would see the field a little more.
Is he just a completely wasted third round pick, or is he at least going to be a serviceable back up or something.
Anything?

Morgan may not even make the team. He couldn't even beat out Jon McGraw...and apparently is so bad that we had to convert Legget to Safety before he even got on the field.

Detoxing
04-19-2010, 11:59 AM
I'd say the reason why this D looks slow is because the middle of our D is slow. Slow at Safety, aside from DJ slow at every LB position. Hell....Flowers, Carr and Page aren't even that fast.

we've been slow for YEARS. Nothing new here.

notorious
04-19-2010, 12:04 PM
I'd say the reason why this D looks slow is because the middle of our D is slow. Slow at Safety, aside from DJ slow at every LB position. Hell....Flowers, Carr and Page aren't even that fast.

we've been slow for YEARS. Nothing new here.

Even the Chief's fans are slow!

Oh wait.......

Ugly Duck
04-19-2010, 01:03 PM

OK... listen to this with an open mind: KC takes Jamarcus off Oakland's hands & trains him at DL. You could get him really cheap. Maybe even free.

Radar Chief
04-19-2010, 02:53 PM
OK... listen to this with an open mind: KC takes Jamarcus off Oakland's hands & trains him at DL. You could get him really cheap. Maybe even free.

Heh, UD sighting.
Good to see you around UD, itís been a while. :thumb:

RJ
04-19-2010, 03:21 PM
According to Rotoworld, Terrence Cody should fit right in.

Based on forty-yard dash time, Terrence Cody will become the slowest defensive tackle to be drafted in the last 20 years this week.

Cody's 5.66 forty time is rivaled only by former seventh-rounder Corey Swinson (5.62 in 1985), fifth-rounder Tim Roberts (5.51 in 1992), and 2009 Patriots second-round pick Ron Brace (5.51). "This guy doesn't have any first-step quickness," observed a scout of Cody. "He's a big, fat blob," added one NFC personnel man. "He's a big media creation. He cannot move at all."
Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

michaelj_58
04-19-2010, 03:36 PM
berry and weatherspoon?

DaneMcCloud
04-19-2010, 03:45 PM
berry and weatherspoon?

'Spoon's a first rounder.

Stop it. This is the second thread in which you've suggested he'll last until the second round and you're flat out wrong.

Chocolate Hog
04-19-2010, 03:48 PM
lol

DaneMcCloud
04-19-2010, 03:50 PM
Apparently, Dilfer hasn't seen much of the Chiefs since 2000

Chocolate Hog
04-19-2010, 03:51 PM
Yea nobody was slower than Jason Fucking Belser.

CoMoChief
04-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Yea nobody was slower than Jason ****ing Belser.

Rich Scanlon.

OOOOh........now I've done it.....:evil:

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-19-2010, 03:56 PM

My response:

LMAOLMAOLMAO

RedThat
04-19-2010, 04:12 PM
The real problem imo is that the Chiefs don't have the players that have the right mental ability to take this defense to another level.

Im more concerned about the players mental ability rather than physical ability.

If Dilfer's comment is that the Chiefs defense is mentally slow at responding to plays, I interpret as, bad reaction time. Slow reaction timing spells disaster. That is the underlying issue with a lot of players on the Chiefs defense.

Bad reaction time=playing slower than the speed of the game itself. You know what happens in that case? 95% of the time you're going to get beat.

Pioli keeps preaching mental toughness, yes thats good and all, but what about players that are mentally quick? Or better yet sharp. Give me those types of players. I'll take that anyday of the week over a players physical abilities. don't get me wrong, I love players that have great physical attributes, but all Im saying is, if I have to prioritize it, Id place mental ability first, and physical ability second then go from there.

The Bad Guy
04-19-2010, 05:17 PM
The real problem imo is that the Chiefs don't have the players that have the right mental ability to take this defense to another level.

Im more concerned about the players mental ability rather than physical ability.

If Dilfer's comment is that the Chiefs defense is mentally slow at responding to plays, I interpret as, bad reaction time. Slow reaction timing spells disaster. That is the underlying issue with a lot of players on the Chiefs defense.

Or it's there is too much being thrown at them. Pendergast was in the same tree as Robinson where they asked defensive players to do 8 things based on what the offense was doing. It was a true read and react defense.

WilliamTheIrish
04-19-2010, 05:23 PM
So we have the best of both worlds here:

Slow afoot and slow between the ears.

Are we talking about the Chiefs or CoMo?