PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Good Bulaga News

Woodrow Call
04-19-2010, 01:31 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/04/18/mmqb/index.html

Peter King>MONDAY MORNING QB

Is Bryan Bulaga the next Robert Gallery?

Two Midwestern kids, two Iowa left tackles, two guys forecast to be high picks when they entered the draft, two short-armed guys (more about that later).

Gallery went number two overall, to Oakland, in 2004. He was a disappointment at left tackle, and eventually moved inside to guard, where he's been a good player. But not good enough to have merited the second pick in a draft, ahead of wideout Larry Fitzgerald and quarterbacks Philip Rivers and Roethlisberger, clear positions of need for the Raiders.

Bulaga had a sub-par season in 2009, missing three games due to a thyroid condition and not regaining top form until Iowa's bowl game. A couple of scouts told me they're not sure he's even a first-round talent after watching Michigan's Brandon Graham abuse him on tape last fall.

"They're pretty different in terms of profiles,'' their coach, Kirk Ferentz, the former NFL line coach, told me Friday. "Bryan's a third-year college player who didn't redshirt and came out early. He came here and started at left guard as a freshman; I've told lots of the scouts that in my years of coach, there're not many true freshmen who came in and played at a high level -- Mark Stepnoski and Bill Fralic at Pitt, and then Bryan would be in their class for how he played right away.

"Robert was a career tight end [in high school and his first year at Iowa] until we switched him to tackle midway through his second year here. He stayed five years. With Bryan, it's so hard to judge him if you look at last year's film, because he wasn't allowed to do any physical conditioning for the three weeks he was out, and when he came back, he obviously wasn't the same. Look at his '08 film. He dominated. And when he came back this year for our bowl game [against Georgia Tech], watch him when [first-round defensive-end prospect] Derrick Morgan lined up against him. Bryan beat him.''

Ferentz won't say it, but those close to Gallery believe he was rushed into the full-time left tackle job at Oakland when he might have been better-served playing inside a year or two, then moved outside. Ferentz compares Bulaga to Jordan Gross, who has effectively split his career playing well on the left and right side at tackle for Carolina. At 6-foot-5, rock-solid and 316 pounds, Bulaga could start his career inside at guard, or at right tackle, then move to the left side when he get more comfortable with the speed of the pro game.

In the spy-versus-spy world of mock drafting, I've thought for a while that Bulaga was a natural to go to Kansas City at five. GM Scott Pioli is so close with Ferentz I thought at one point he might try to hire him as his head coach in Kansas City. But Ferentz told me he hasn't spoken with Pioli about Bulaga this offseason, and Pioli hasn't been to Iowa City since the fall. Hmmm. Another layer to consider about the landing spot of Bulaga. I think he'll be picked in the top 14; I doubt he'll get past Seattle's second pick of the first round.

Saccopoo
04-19-2010, 01:49 AM
Bulaga isn't even close to the skill set that Gross had at the same stage. Shit. I watched them both extensively and Beadles is better than Gross at the same level. (Beadles was nursing a hamstring at the combine - he did 30 reps on the bench at his pro day and ran exceptionally well.)

The difference is that Gross looked the part where Beadles looks like a guard. As well, even though Beadles was a two time conference first teamer and a second team Walter Camp at the left tackle spot, he actually practiced/took snaps at every position on the line making sure that if an injury happened that he could fill a need if the team needed it. Plus he had a 3.5 GPA in mechanical engineering.

kysirsoze
04-19-2010, 04:08 AM
Thank god. Any news that makes me think taking bulaga at 5 is less likely will help me sleep better at night. It's pretty much my worst case scenario.

baitism
04-19-2010, 04:57 AM
Getting Bulaga would be a Sims-esque reach.

beach tribe
04-19-2010, 06:15 AM
Getting Bulaga would be a Sims-esque reach.

How was Sims a reach when the Vikings were trying to beat us to the podium to draft him?

Fritz88
04-19-2010, 06:20 AM
Pioli, please do it.

jspchief
04-19-2010, 06:24 AM
Gallery will always be a mystery to me. That guy was a monster in college. I expected him to be a great NFL LT. For him to have not even turned out to be a mediocre one just demonstrates how difficult it is to know how these guys will transition.

BigMeatballDave
04-19-2010, 06:43 AM
Getting Bulaga would be a Sims-esque reach.Sims was not a reach, he was a bust.

Bane
04-19-2010, 06:59 AM
Sims was not a reach, he was a bust.
I still remember hearing that Peppers only looked so good because he played on the same line as Sims..Nice,lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Bad Guy
04-19-2010, 07:30 AM
I've been saying this for a month now. I can guarantee that Brian Bulaga will NOT be the Chiefs pick at 5.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Anything that displeases the line-lovin' True Fan at draft time is great news.

baitism
04-19-2010, 04:11 PM
How was Sims a reach when the Vikings were trying to beat us to the podium to draft him?

Anyone that watched him play at North Carolina knew he wasn't anything special. Everyone gets a hardon over the combine and forgets that most of that doesn't mean shit once you get on the field.

Pasta Giant Meatball
04-19-2010, 04:13 PM
I've been saying this for a month now. I can guarantee that Brian Bulaga will NOT be the Chiefs pick at 5.

:clap:

RJ
04-19-2010, 04:22 PM
Bulaga would be a great pick if Pioli wants to put the fan base into a boredom induced coma.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-21-2010, 03:15 PM
Bulaga would be a great pick if Pioli wants to put the fan base into a boredom induced coma.

LMAO :clap:

"And once again, those first-round pick jerseys are just FLYIN' OFF THE SHELVES, JERRY"!!!!