PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Push mower question

Guru
04-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Ok, I don't get this.

My mower started just fine last week on a year old filter and spark plug. I gave it a tune up this week with a new filter, new oil and new spark plug and now the damn thing won't start at all. It's a Toro at that. Something is off.

I have crimped the spark plug cover to make sure it is getting contact so I don't think that is it. I have also primed the engine gas.

Why will it start on one pull after being in storage all winter and won't start at all after a tune up?

Baby Lee
04-19-2010, 10:41 AM
Ok, I don't get this.

My mower started just fine last week on a year old filter and spark plug. I gave it a tune up this week with a new filter, new oil and new spark plug and now the damn thing won't start at all. It's a Toro at that. Something is off.

I have crimped the spark plug cover to make sure it is getting contact so I don't think that is it. I have also primed the engine gas.

Why will it start on one pull after being in storage all winter and won't start at all after a tune up?
Check the spark gap? Visual inspect to make sure there's not a crack in the insulator?

mikeyis4dcats.
04-19-2010, 10:41 AM
you broke it.

try starting it with the air filter off and check the plug gap.

MOhillbilly
04-19-2010, 10:44 AM
could be runnin lean/rich. Thats where id go next.

Baby Lee
04-19-2010, 10:46 AM
Not a maneuver for amateurs, but if you know how, ground the spark plug to the block removed from the engine, with the igniter attached, and pull the handle to see if the plug arcs.

EDIT TO ADD: It goes without saying, ground the plug far from its inlet so as to avoid igniting the mix all over yourself.

Bane
04-19-2010, 10:46 AM
I did the same thing last year.In my case it was the spark plug,I guess it had been dropped or something but the gap was closed all the way and I didn't notice at first look.
Posted via Mobile Device

MOhillbilly
04-19-2010, 10:49 AM
Not a maneuver for amateurs, but if you know how, ground the spark plug to the block removed from the engine, with the igniter attached, and pull the handle to see if the plug arcs.

or you can just use your hand.

Radar Chief
04-19-2010, 10:56 AM

Yea, hold the spark plug to your tongue and pull the cord. If you pick yourself up off the ground having lost 30 minutes or so, itís working.

ChiefButthurt
04-19-2010, 10:58 AM

Yeah, tough guys grab the spark plug wire and just pull the cord. :D

It doesn't hurt that much.

Sofa King
04-19-2010, 11:00 AM
Did you check the Antifreeze?

gblowfish
04-19-2010, 11:00 AM
Never ask anybody on the CP for advice when electricity is even remotely part of the picture. If you even think about it, just go stick a fork in a wall outlet.

KCChiefsMan
04-19-2010, 11:11 AM
my craftsman push mower is the toughest sum bitch I have ever seen. I have had it 4 years and I'm really really lazy about maintaining these things. So I have never changed the oil or the spark plugs. I left it outside all 4 winters. Once it's spring time and ready to mow, I spray some lube over the carburetor and it starts no problem. When I moved, I gave it away but that thing was a pretty tough bastard I must say. I'd buy a craftsman again.

tooge
04-19-2010, 11:15 AM
set it out by the road with a sign that says "free". Then go buy another one. Get a cheap yard machine, and it'll run like a champ for 5 or 6 years. Then do the same thing with it.

mikeyis4dcats.
04-19-2010, 11:32 AM
my craftsman push mower is the toughest sum bitch I have ever seen. I have had it 4 years and I'm really really lazy about maintaining these things. So I have never changed the oil or the spark plugs. I left it outside all 4 winters. Once it's spring time and ready to mow, I spray some lube over the carburetor and it starts no problem. When I moved, I gave it away but that thing was a pretty tough bastard I must say. I'd buy a craftsman again.

I've never changed oil in a mower in 8 years. Did replace the plug and blade and blew out the air filter last year.

MOhillbilly
04-19-2010, 11:45 AM
Yeah, tough guys grab the spark plug wire and just pull the cord. :D

It doesn't hurt that much.

when i was 12 i changed the plug on one. Couldnt figure out why it was missing. Looked down seen the coil sparkin off the plug and thought cool.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:)

other thing id do after the spark test & lean/rich is check the oil to see if its milky.

gblowfish
04-19-2010, 11:53 AM
BTW: If you bought a riding mower or push mower in the last ten years, you may be owed a few bucks in a class action lawsuit, for the mower manufacturers lying about engine horsepower. I bought two during that time, both from Sears. Check it out here:

https://lawnmowerclass.com/

Pushead2
04-19-2010, 11:59 AM
BTW: If you bought a riding mower or push mower in the last ten years, you may be owed a few bucks in a class action lawsuit, for the mower manufacturers lying about engine horsepower. I bought two during that time, both from Sears. Check it out here:

https://lawnmowerclass.com/

Do I qualify even though I don't own a mower?

Fairplay
04-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Take your gas cap off and run it. See if that works.

Baconeater
04-19-2010, 01:37 PM
Duh, taste the gas to make sure no one put sugar in it.

Guru
04-19-2010, 03:14 PM
It was the spark plug gap. Running fine now.

ChiefButthurt
04-19-2010, 03:16 PM
when i was 12 i changed the plug on one. Couldnt figure out why it was missing. Looked down seen the coil sparkin off the plug and thought cool.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:)

other thing id do after the spark test & lean/rich is check the oil to see if its milky.

Yeah, when you're checkin the plug for spark, make sure you're the one pulling the cord and not your brother. :grr: