PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Gretz: Checkin’ The Latest Line … Monday Cup O’Chiefs

Tribal Warfare
04-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Checkin’ The Latest Line … Monday Cup O’Chiefs (http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/checkin%E2%80%99-the-latest-line-%E2%80%A6-monday-cup-o%E2%80%99chiefs.html)
April 18, 2010 - Bob Gretz |

Chiefs GM Scott Pioli was talking the other day about how information on potential draft picks keeps flowing right up until moments before selection.

The 2010 NFL Draft got a taste of that on Saturday when Alabama LB Rolando McClain (right) told a Birmingham, Alabama newspaper that he does not have Crohn’s Disease, an inflammation of the intestines that can sometimes be very painful and disruptive to a person’s health.

It was McClain who surprised everyone at the Alabama Pro Day workout last month when he said he had the malady since he was in the ninth grade.

Saturday in Tuscaloosa as he was having his handprint and cleat print set in cement at a Walk of Fame on the University of Alabama quadrangle, McClain said he has now been told he does not have Crohn’s.

“In all my talks with my doctors in the past two weeks, with all the tests we’ve done, they don’t even feel I have Crohn’s disease,” McClain said. “The tests came out good and positive. Every team knows it’s not going to affect me at all.

“I don’t have any signs of it right now.”

This is of interest to the Chiefs, who despite their reticence to talk about their draft plans, have McClain as one of those players on their draft board of 100 or so names. If they like him enough, they’ll have to get him with the fifth pick in the first round. At least, that’s what they would have to do now. There remains the possibility they could trade down and out of that No. 5 spot. Or, they may find another defensive player more to their liking available, somebody such as DT Ndamukong Suh or S Eric Berry.

With four days until the first round of the Draft, it’s time to check back in with the odds makers at the Gretz Sports Book/Gas Station/Gift Shop in Miami, Oklahoma. At the close of business on Sunday, here are the big board odds on what the Chiefs will do and what the odds were 10 day ago when we last checked on them:

4-to-1 (same) they select Tennessee safety Eric Berry – The more you hear and the more you discover about this young man, it seems he has the chance to be a very special defensive player. Some think the fifth spot in the first round is too high for a safety. Certainly it doesn’t happen very often in the top five. Since the AFL-NFL combined their drafts in 1967, there have been five safeties taken in the first five picks: Sean Taylor by Washington in 2004 at No. 5; Eric Turner by Cleveland at No. 2 in 1991; Bennie Blades by Detroit at No. 3 in 1988; Ricky Dixon by Cincinnati at No. 5 in 1988; Kenny Easley by Seattle at No 4 in 1981. But the only way for the Chiefs to draft a player of Berry’s caliber is to pick him. They so desperately need help on the back line it’s hard to see how they can pass.

5-to-1 (3-to-1) they select Alabama linebacker Rolando McClain – Yes, they badly need help at inside linebacker on the Chiefs defense as well. Yes, McClain is the best insider backer available in this draft. It’s hard to explain why he was our favorite just 10 days ago and has dropped to No. 2 other than this: Berry will be on the field for every play from his first game in the league. McClain would be a welcome addition on first down, but if he did his job, he’d be out on the next play.

10-to-1 (40-to-1) they trade down and out of the No. 5 spot – Oh how the Chiefs would love to move down a few spots, pick up another second or third-round pick – or both – and still get a very good player. To do that, they would have to stay somewhere between the sixth and 12th slots. That would be Seattle, Cleveland, Oakland, Buffalo, Jacksonville, Denver and Miami. Forget Oakland and Denver; that just won’t happen at the top of the first round with an AFC West foe. It’s going to take one of those other teams to really be in love with a player who is still available at No. 5.

11-to-1 (7-to-1) they select a player from the field that isn’t expected – Two words: Tyson Jackson.

12-to-1 (8-to-1) they select Iowa OT Bryan Bulaga – He’s dropping on our big board if they stay at No. 5 because there would be better options. Now, if they trade down, Bulaga’s odds would grow increasingly more likely.

15-to-1 (no odds) they select Oklahoma State OT Russell Okung – Don’t just love when the media writes about two weeks ago about how the top four picks are locked down. Then, just four days before the draft we discover that’s not the case, not the case at all. Other than QB Sam Bradford going to St. Louis with the first choice, there’s nothing set in stone with Detroit, Tampa Bay and Washington. Chances are one of those spots at No. 2, 3 or 4 will go to Okung. The longer odds on Okung are reflective of the fact the Chiefs are unlikely to have the opportunity to even consider him.

25-to-1 (no odds) they select Nebraska DT Ndamukong Suh – As the pundits and mock drafters keep throwing up different versions of what’s going to happen on Thursday night, suddenly there are predictions that Suh will still be available at No. 5. That seems like idiocy, but we’ve put it on the big board as a long shot.

50-to-1 (none) they trade up from the fifth spot – They have those two second-round picks that could get them up a spot or two in the order. But that kind of deal doesn’t make sense for this team at this time: they need bodies, not a specific body.

100-to-1 (same) they select Oklahoma State WR Dez Bryant – If the Chiefs made this pick it would be one of the biggest upsets in draft history.

Off the board: Notre Dame QB Jimmy Clausen.

PERSONNEL FILE FROM FRIDAY/SATURDAY/SUNDAY

* BRONCOS – RFA QB Kyle "Pro Bowl" Orton signed tender offer.
* BUCCANEERS – RFA WR Maurice Stovall signed tender offer.
* COWBOYS – RFA WR Sam Hurd signed tender offer.
* DOLPHINS – acquired a fifth-round selection in the ‘10 NFL Draft from the 49ers in a trade.
* 49ERS – acquired WR Ted Ginn Jr. from the Dolphins in a trade.
* GIANTS – RFA WR Domenik Hixon signed tender offer; ERFA CB D.J. Johnson signed.
* LIONS – released S Kalvin Pearson, CB Brian Witherspoon and CB Kevin Hobbs.
* PACKERS – RFA RB John Kuhn signed tender offer.
* PANTHERS – RFA TE Jeff King signed tender offer; signed CB Brian Witherspoon (Lions).
* PATRIOTS – RFA K Stephen Gostkowski signed tender offer.
* RAIDERS – RFA LB Thomas Howard signed tender offer.
* RAVENS – RFA QB Troy Smith and RFA G Marshal Yanda signed tender offers; ERFA RB Jalen Parmele signed.
* REDSKINS – RFA DT Kedric Golston signed tender offer.
* SEAHAWKS – signed UFA CB Kennard Cox (Jaguars); signed WR Reggie Williams and G Mitch Erickson; released G Trevor Canfield.
* STEELERS – RFA P Daniel Sepulveda and RFA CB William Gay signed tender offer.

The Bad Guy
04-19-2010, 12:36 PM
I find it to be a very positive thing that Gretz thinks the odds are that Berry will be the pick.

The Franchise
04-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Why the fuck is Clausen off the board now?

Tribal Warfare
04-19-2010, 12:40 PM
Why the fuck is Clausen off the board now?

Just Gretz being the True Fan of the year with his man love for Cassel

Sofa King
04-19-2010, 12:43 PM
Why the **** is Clausen off the board now?

because.....

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-19-2010, 12:43 PM
on their draft board of 100 or so names

What the fuck do we do if those 100 are all picked?

Jake O'Connell and Colin Brown again?

nychief
04-19-2010, 12:46 PM
Why the **** is Clausen off the board now?

Because other than a bunch of guys on this board, nobody thinks we are going to pick him?

InChiefsHeaven
04-19-2010, 12:46 PM
OK, this makes me hope like hell that we DO draft Clausen...

rambleonthruthefog
04-19-2010, 12:49 PM
all that, and no mention of the guy were actually gonna draft.

Chiefnj2
04-19-2010, 12:53 PM

What the **** do we do if those 100 are all picked?

Trade them for picks in next years draft.

Deberg_1990
04-19-2010, 12:57 PM

:facepalm:

The Franchise
04-19-2010, 12:58 PM
Because other than a bunch of guys on this board, nobody thinks we are going to pick him?

So everyone is happy with Matt Cassel?

Now I know what's wrong with this fucking franchise. :facepalm:

BigCatDaddy
04-19-2010, 12:58 PM

What the **** do we do if those 100 are all picked?

I have a hard time believing that's all they have. With Comp picks I'm not sure there won't be 100 players gone before round 4 starts.

melbar
04-19-2010, 01:35 PM
I highly doubt that they arent even considering Claussen. Unless Charlie hates the kid...

CoMoChief
04-19-2010, 01:39 PM
100-to-1 (same) they select Oklahoma State WR Dez Bryant – If the Chiefs made this pick it would be one of the biggest upsets in draft history.

I call Horseshit on all of this. Biggest upset in draft history??? Considering all the years of fucking up in the draft the chiefs done? At least Bryant has talent. If character wasn't an issue for this kid he WOULD be a top 5-10 player IMO.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-19-2010, 01:41 PM
Seriously, if the Chiefs only have a draft board of 100 people, then Pioli should be fired for not doing his due diligence.

You should have a draft board of 255 players.

SenselessChiefsFan
04-19-2010, 01:45 PM
Just Gretz being the True Fan of the year with his man love for Cassel

This is what Gretz thinks the Chiefs will do, not what he wants them to do.

Mr. Laz
04-19-2010, 01:49 PM
If McClain doesn't have crohn's then why did he miss the combine?

Chiefnj2
04-19-2010, 01:50 PM
If McClain doesn't have crohn's then why did he miss the combine?

Tebow cured him after the combine.

MVChiefFan
04-19-2010, 01:56 PM
Tebow cured him after the combine.

ROFL

Tribal Warfare
04-19-2010, 01:59 PM
This is what Gretz thinks the Chiefs will do, not what he wants them to do.

Gretz has gone on record by saying that Cassel has good arm strength, and has a bright future ahead of him. That coupled with the inane belief that KC is absolutely "committed" to him by hell or high water, and won't draft a 1st round QB.

SenselessChiefsFan
04-19-2010, 02:04 PM
Seriously, if the Chiefs only have a draft board of 100 people, then Pioli should be fired for not doing his due diligence.

I think this shows better due diligence than most. Before the draft, they have narrowed the players to who actually fits their team mentally and physically. Yeah, in theory, it could happen that the Chiefs are sitting there with no one left on their board.

But, it would never happen that way. First, there are 32 different teams. Even the ones with the same schemes, have different variations of those schemes. Every team has different needs, and every team has different priorities on character.

Now, Carl Peterson always had a nice long draft board. Which is why he did so well in the late part of the draft. There were many steals had. But, you can only do so much. I would have traded Eric Warfield for a decent second round pick.... or better due diligence on Ryan Sims.

The point to me, is that it is far more effective to ensure you first three picks are dead on than to chase a few late round miracles.

The reality is that no one can do it all.

Oh, and this all started with the Patriots.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/11/broncos-patriots-draft-off-a-short-board/

To me, it is much smarter to know the players you want and work the draft to get them if necessary.

SenselessChiefsFan
04-19-2010, 02:06 PM
Gretz has gone on record by saying that Cassel has good arm strength, and has a bright future ahead of him. That coupled with the inane belief that KC is absolutely "committed" to him by hell or high water, and won't draft a 1st round QB.

Well, I do think he has a bright future ahead of him. I think he will be fine. That's not to say that I wouldn't take a stud QB if one were there, but I have gone on record to say that I don't think that Clausen is it. I do like Bradford, though, I know I am one of very few on here who think he will be much better than Clausen.

Mecca
04-19-2010, 02:08 PM
Let's emulate a team that has shit its last 4 drafts.

DaneMcCloud
04-19-2010, 02:15 PM
I think this shows better due diligence than most. Before the draft, they have narrowed the players to who actually fits their team mentally and physically.

Tyson Jackson
Alex Magee
Donald Washington

Epic Fail

SenselessChiefsFan
04-19-2010, 02:16 PM

Every team has hits and misses. Over the time that Pioli was with the Pats, they hit on more players than most, if not all the teams in the NFL. I do believe they had more championships in that time than any other team.

I would have to go over the draft and their roster to see if you are exagerating... I think that kid Mayo is pretty good.....

DaneMcCloud
04-19-2010, 02:27 PM
I would have to go over the draft and their roster to see if you are exagerating... I think that kid Mayo is pretty good.....

Mayo, meet Maroney.

Mecca
04-19-2010, 02:30 PM
Just a moment...

There are the Patriots drafts since 05, they are not something to be proud of..

Rnd Name College Note
2 Patrick Chung Oregon
2 Ron Brace Boston College
2 Darius Butler Connecticut
2 Sebastian Vollmer Houston
3 Brandon Tate North Carolina
3 Tyrone McKenzie South Florida
4 Rich Ohrnberger Penn State
5 George Bussey Louisville
6 Jake Ingram Hawaii
6 Myron Pryor Kentucky
7 Julian Edelman Kent State
7 Darryl Richard Georgia Tech

Rnd Name College Note
1 Jerod Mayo Tennessee
2 Terrence Wheatley Colorado
3 Shawn Crable Michigan
3 Kevin O'Connell San Diego State
4 Jonathan Wilhite Auburn
5 Matt Slater UCLA
6 Bo Ruud Nebraska

Rnd Name College Note
1 Brandon Meriweather Miami (Fla.)
4 Kareem Brown Miami (Fla.)
5 Clint Oldenburg Colorado State
6 Justin Rogers Southern Methodist
6 Mike Richardson Notre Dame
6 Justise Hairston Central Connecticut State
6 Corey Hilliard Oklahoma State
7 Oscar Lua USC
7 Mike Elgin Iowa

Rnd Name College Note
1 Laurence Maroney Minnesota
2 Chad Jackson Florida
3 Dave Thomas Texas
4 Garrett Mills Tulsa
4 Stephen Gostkowski Memphis
5 Ryan O'Callaghan California
6 Jeremy Mincey Florida
6 Dan Stevenson Notre Dame
6 Le Kevin Smith Nebraska
7 Willie Andrews Baylor

Rnd Name College Note
1 Logan Mankins Fresno State
3 Ellis Hobbs Iowa State
3 Nick Kaczur Toledo
4 James Sanders Fresno State
5 Ryan Claridge Nevada-Las Vegas
7 Matt Cassel USC
7 Andy Stokes William Penn

CosmicPal
04-19-2010, 02:35 PM

They had a draft board of over a thousand players to begin with. After all the scouting, the film, interviews with players and those players coaches, and watching them at the combines, etc., they narrowed that field down to the 100 players they saw fit what they wanted to do best.

dirk digler
04-19-2010, 02:36 PM

Let's not emulate a team that won 3 Super Bowls this decade ;)

ChiefsCountry
04-19-2010, 02:37 PM

You mean get Tom Brady.

Mecca
04-19-2010, 02:38 PM

Lets hope we can trip ass backwards into a QB.

SenselessChiefsFan
04-19-2010, 02:38 PM
Tyson Jackson
Alex Magee
Donald Washington

Epic Fail

I struggle to support the pick of Tyson Jackson. I fully admit that. I do feel that he is a solid player, just not worthy of where he was picked. I feel that he fit a need and he will be a good player.

I actually like Alex Magee for where he was picked.

Donald Washington was not a reach, so I don't know how you figure this is a fail.

Other than Tyson Jackson, which is more of a question of where he picked, than whether he will contribute...... I don't see how you can call these out as fail just yet.

DaneMcCloud
04-19-2010, 02:40 PM

Because that worked so well when the Chiefs decided to emulate the 49ers

Mecca
04-19-2010, 02:40 PM
I don't see how a team as bad as the Chiefs did not get immediate starters out of last years draft, it was also a draft full of offensive lineman, maybe the deepest OL class ever and we managed to take...none of them.

dirk digler
04-19-2010, 02:41 PM
You mean get Tom Brady.

Was he their only draft pick?

Mecca
04-19-2010, 02:42 PM
Was he their only draft pick?

Let's be frank without tripping into Brady, Belichick probably isn't still coaching there and Pioli isn't anyone's GM.

DaneMcCloud
04-19-2010, 02:43 PM
I don't see how a team as bad as the Chiefs did not get immediate starters out of last years draft, it was also a draft full of offensive lineman, maybe the deepest OL class ever and we managed to take...none of them.

I said this on draft day last year and I'll say again:

The Kansas City Chiefs 2009 draft was the absolute worst in franchise history, bar none.

DaneMcCloud
04-19-2010, 02:44 PM
Let's be frank without tripping into Brady, Belichick probably isn't still coaching there and Pioli isn't anyone's GM.

If Dick Rebhein had been with any other NFL team, you're probably right.

SenselessChiefsFan
04-19-2010, 02:51 PM

Yep... all just dumb luck. Not developing a guy like Brady, because we all know he was NFL ready when he came out, that is why he went in the sixth round.

dirk digler
04-19-2010, 02:52 PM

You never do know but lets not pretend they had shitty drafts and ended up a dynasty.

Mecca
04-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Their shitty drafts of the last 4 years is why they are no longer one.

DaneMcCloud
04-19-2010, 03:05 PM
Yep... all just dumb luck. Not developing a guy like Brady, because we all know he was NFL ready when he came out, that is why he went in the sixth round.

Wow, more nonsense from NonsensicalChiefsfan.

Please, explain to us all how Tom Brady was "developed" by the New England Patriots when in only his second year in the league, he won the Super Bowl.

OnTheWarpath15
04-19-2010, 03:07 PM

Please, explain to us all how Tom Brady was "developed" by the New England Patriots when in only his second year in the league, he won the Super Bowl?

The football equivalent to Evelyn Wood's Speed Reading Dynamics.

From 4th stringer to Super Bowl MVP in less than 24 months.

CALL NOW!

dirk digler
04-19-2010, 03:09 PM
Their shitty drafts of the last 4 years is why they are no longer one.

I wouldn't disagree with that entirely. But they are still a pretty good team

Mecca
04-19-2010, 03:10 PM
I mean seriously, of all the teams you could emulate, the Patriots are the last one. The way they won involved a shit load of luck and is not a repeatedly strategy.

Numerous other teams have repeatable strategies that can be followed, NE's is not unless you think getting lucky is some kind of repeatable process.

SAUTO
04-19-2010, 03:11 PM

Please, explain to us all how Tom Brady was "developed" by the New England Patriots when in only his second year in the league, he won the Super Bowl.

but the REAL question is this: is tom brady the same player today that he was the day he was drafted? was he the same player when he won the SB The first time?

NO

then he was developed.

ChiefsCountry
Should have tried the 90's Cowboys model. They were a much better team.

SAUTO
I mean seriously, of all the teams you could emulate, the Patriots are the last one. The way they won involved a shit load of luck and is not a repeatedly strategy.

Numerous other teams have repeatable strategies that can be followed, NE's is not unless you think getting lucky is some kind of repeatable process.

yep it was just ALL luckLMAO

Mecca
04-19-2010, 03:14 PM
And here's Jason's worthless ass to argue semantics to defend the mighty Pioli, it never ends!

Yes dude it's lucky, they tripped ass backwards into their QB, if you think that was some stroke of brilliance I have some bad news for you.

SenselessChiefsFan
04-19-2010, 03:19 PM

Are you that dense? Seriously?

You don't think how the Pats handled him had anything to do with his success?

dirk digler
04-19-2010, 03:20 PM

I think the only team that we could\should emulate is the Steelers. You can't emulate the Colts unless you clone Peyton and get the first pick in the draft.

Mecca
04-19-2010, 03:21 PM
I think the only team that we could\should emulate is the Steelers. You can't emulate the Colts unless you clone Peyton and get the first pick in the draft.

Several teams that won used that strategy of taking a QB with the first overall pick, Dallas did, the Giants did and so on.

SenselessChiefsFan
04-19-2010, 03:22 PM

The reality is that every successful team has at least a little luck.

DaneMcCloud
04-19-2010, 03:22 PM
Are you that dense? Seriously?

You don't think how the Pats handled him had anything to do with his success?

You're truly a fucking idiot.

If you think that for one second, the New England Patriots were able to "develop" a no talent 6th rounder into the Super Bowl MVP in 12 months, you need to lay off the crack pipe.

The real fact of the matter is that everyone in the NFL was wrong about Brady.

DaneMcCloud
04-19-2010, 03:23 PM
The reality is that every successful team has at least a little luck.

Or cheat.

Funny how the New England Patriots won three Super Bowls by three points, yet lost a Super Bowl by three points.

SenselessChiefsFan
04-19-2010, 03:23 PM
Several teams that won used that strategy of taking a QB with the first overall pick, Dallas did, the Giants did and so on.

Forgot, if you take a 'first round' qb, especially, one with a top five pick... then you deserve credit. If not, you are just 'lucky'.

DaneMcCloud
04-19-2010, 03:24 PM
Forgot, if you take a 'first round' qb, especially, one with a top five pick... then you deserve credit. If not, you are just 'lucky'.

Pretty much.

And history proves it.

Mecca
04-19-2010, 03:24 PM
Look it is what it is, but the odds of hitting on a QB in the 6th round are astronomical. The odds of hitting on basically anyone that late are slim but getting a franchise player there is like winning powerball.

Then it would be like turning around telling someone your strategy to become rich is to buy a lot of powerball tickets.

Mecca
04-19-2010, 03:25 PM

Do you really need to be explained to what the difference in a top 5 pick player is and what a 6th round pick player is, or do you just play dumb on the forum?

dirk digler
04-19-2010, 03:26 PM

My point about the Colts is if you take Peyton off that team they are sub 500 team at best.

I definitely agree that if franchise QB is at #1 you take him in a heart beat.

Mecca
04-19-2010, 03:27 PM
My point about the Colts is if you take Peyton off that team they are sub 500 team at best.

I definitely agree that if franchise QB is at #1 you take him in a heart beat.

If you take any good teams QB away they become significantly worse, my point is simply that you're far more likely to find your star QB as a top 5 pick than in the 6th round.

dirk digler
04-19-2010, 03:30 PM
If you take any good teams QB away they become significantly worse, my point is simply that you're far more likely to find your star QB as a top 5 pick than in the 6th round.

No argument here but in the Colts situation they would be arguably really really bad.

SAUTO
04-19-2010, 03:55 PM
And here's Jason's worthless ass to argue semantics to defend the mighty Pioli, it never ends!

Yes dude it's lucky, they tripped ass backwards into their QB, if you think that was some stroke of brilliance I have some bad news for you.

what the fuck are you talking about here? semantics? do you know what that means?

#1 it wasnt ALL luck. they had a pretty good defense in the first couple of SBs.
#2 what is "tripping ass backwards into a QB"? they picked the guy right? i mean that actually happened. right? or did aliens just plant him on the roster?

Mecca
04-19-2010, 03:59 PM
I really should use the ignore feature.

OnTheWarpath15
04-19-2010, 04:01 PM

Gimme three guesses?

It has to be someone on my ignore list, because there are gaps in the conversation.

1. Sauto
1a. MoreLemonPledge
3. Guardian

Mecca
04-19-2010, 04:01 PM
You were right with the 1st guess.

SAUTO
04-19-2010, 04:02 PM

why mecca? you dont like being called out when you are obviously being an idiot?

OnTheWarpath15
04-19-2010, 04:02 PM

Gimme three guesses?

It has to be someone on my ignore list, because there are gaps in the conversation.

1. Sauto
1a. MoreLemonPledge
3. Guardian

LMAO

Nevermind. Missed your post.

Mecca
04-19-2010, 04:04 PM
No Jason because trying to get you to understand a point is like trying to teach a 5 year old autistic child how to pass a mensa exam.

DaneMcCloud
04-19-2010, 04:05 PM
what the fuck are you talking about here? semantics? do you know what that means?

#1 it wasnt ALL luck. they had a pretty good defense in the first couple of SBs.
#2 what is "tripping ass backwards into a QB"? they picked the guy right? i mean that actually happened. right? or did aliens just plant him on the roster?

Jason, nearly every team in the NFL had six chances to draft Tom Brady. If Dick Rebhein hadn't been jumping up and down and screaming in the warroom, the Patriots would have passed in the sixth. They didn't, and now it's all history.

There's no way the Patriots win three Super Bowls without Brady. Bledsoe couldn't even win one.

SAUTO
04-19-2010, 04:10 PM
No Jason because trying to get you to understand a point is like trying to teach a 5 year old autistic child how to pass a mensa exam.

well mecca theres another side to that. just because you are trying to make a point thats made up in your head doesnt make it true. some people disagree with you. just because i disagree doesnt make me wrong.

again it wasnt all luck that the PATS won THREE THREE THREE super bowls and went UNDEFEATED another year. once? maybe luck. twice? hmmmm maybe not. THREE TIMES??? not luck hell add in the 16-0 year and nope still not luck. thats actually a trend.

now on to the lick with picking brady. they picked the guy right? i mean they talked amongst themselves and decided to pick tom brady with a draft pick right? well thats not really luck. thats called being prepared

Mecca
04-19-2010, 04:10 PM

DeezNutz
04-19-2010, 04:11 PM
well mecca theres another side to that. just because you are trying to make a point thats made up in your head doesnt make it true. some people disagree with you. just because i disagree doesnt make me wrong.

again it wasnt all luck that the PATS won THREE THREE THREE super bowls and went UNDEFEATED another year. once? maybe luck. twice? hmmmm maybe not. THREE TIMES??? not luck hell add in the 16-0 year and nope still not luck. thats actually a trend.

now on to the lick with picking brady. they picked the guy right? i mean they talked amongst themselves and decided to pick tom brady with a draft pick right? well thats not really luck. thats called being prepared

Thanks putting the mental image of a mechanic in a cheerleader uniform in my head.

Rasputin
04-19-2010, 04:12 PM
So the odds of Al Davis dieing this year and us drafting a QB are about the same?

SAUTO
04-19-2010, 04:13 PM
Jason, nearly every team in the NFL had six chances to draft Tom Brady. If Dick Rebhein hadn't been jumping up and down and screaming in the warroom, the Patriots would have passed in the sixth. They didn't, and now it's all history.

There's no way the Patriots win three Super Bowls without Brady. Bledsoe couldn't even win one.

what does it matter now why they picked him? they did and won 3 super bowls. and who's to say that bledsoe wouldnt have won one or two or three if he had stayed the QB?

my point is that its not just all luck.

every team that wins it NEEDS some luck to go their way. thats a given BUT to say the dynasty was ALL luck is pretty ignorant IMO.

and another thing dane, if pioli drafts clausen will anyone give him credit? i meam they get no credit for brady.

SenselessChiefsFan
04-19-2010, 04:14 PM

But... but... Bledsoe was a top five pick... how can that be?

Mecca
04-19-2010, 04:14 PM
When Jason speaks this is all I can think of...

:$2500:

or maybe

%(/

Either one works for what I think when he speaks.

SAUTO
04-19-2010, 04:15 PM
Thanks putting the mental image of a mechanic in a cheerleader uniform in my head.

sorry, but thats what it takes for mecca to understand, he's acting as though the pats were a one and done SB winning team. like they went 2-14 the next year and have sucked ever since. i dont think he understand that they won 3 and went undefeated in another year

DeezNutz

SAUTO
When Jason speaks this is all I can think of...

:$2500:

or maybe

%(/

Either one works for what I think when he speaks.

lol you can try either anytime you would like bro.

Mecca
04-19-2010, 04:16 PM
Everytime Jason posts about football this is what I want to do to him.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k209/gaius_baltar/butthead_beavis.gif

DeezNutz
04-19-2010, 04:17 PM
sorry, but thats what it takes for mecca to understand, he's acting as though the pats were a one and done SB winning team. like they went 2-14 the next year and have sucked ever since. i dont think he understand that they won 3 and went undefeated in another year

I've been paying only half-ass attention, but I thought he was talking about Brady being a really lucky pick. A winning lottery number.

Dude was helped, for sure, by being a great organization. But he was the tits almost immediately.

Mecca
04-19-2010, 04:18 PM
I've been paying only half-ass attention, but I thought he was talking about Brady being a really lucky pick. A winning lottery number.

Dude was helped, for sure, by being a great organization. But he was the tits almost immediately.

Now look, Jason has a really hard time grasping points, especially if they come from certain posters, he's much like speaking with a wall.

DaneMcCloud
04-19-2010, 04:19 PM
what does it matter now why they picked him? they did and won 3 super bowls. and who's to say that bledsoe wouldnt have won one or two or three if he had stayed the QB?

my point is that its not just all luck.

every team that wins it NEEDS some luck to go their way. thats a given BUT to say the dynasty was ALL luck is pretty ignorant IMO.

and another thing dane, if pioli drafts clausen will anyone give him credit? i meam they get no credit for brady.

Pioli won't choose Clausen in the first. No way.

Secondly, the Patriots were lucky that Tom Brady turned out to be a superstar, HOF QB. He was taken in the SIXTH ROUND. That's not a stroke of genius, it's a stroke of luck. If any NFL team knew that Tom Brady would become the player he became, he would have gone number one overall.

Since "Spygate", the Patriots so-called "Dynasty" has suddenly become a huge question mark. Taping hand signals and practices can easily lead to a three point advantage, which of course is the number of points each Super Bowl they participated in this past decade were won and lost.

DaneMcCloud
04-19-2010, 04:19 PM

Not according to NonsensicalChiefsfan.

The Patriots developed him in less than 12 months.

DaneMcCloud
04-19-2010, 04:20 PM

How can what be, moron?

Mecca
04-19-2010, 04:20 PM
Nonsensical is about as bad as that Just passin by dude who actually tried to say Laurence Maroney is good.

DeezNutz
04-19-2010, 04:22 PM
Not according to NonsensicalChiefsfan.

The Patriots developed him in less than 12 months.

Yeah, "developed" as in drafted, essentially.

He's the Pujols of the NFL. That's all there is to it.

Good for the Pats. Sucks shit for everyone else, though.

SAUTO
04-19-2010, 04:28 PM

again brady is in NO WAY the same guy he was when he was drafted. he actually developed a deep ball.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-19-2010, 04:32 PM

Bingo. I used that analogy 3 years ago when talking about how similar the Cardinals were to the early 2000s Patriots

SenselessChiefsFan
04-19-2010, 06:21 PM
Pioli won't choose Clausen in the first. No way.

Secondly, the Patriots were lucky that Tom Brady turned out to be a superstar, HOF QB. He was taken in the SIXTH ROUND. That's not a stroke of genius, it's a stroke of luck. If any NFL team knew that Tom Brady would become the player he became, he would have gone number one overall.

Since "Spygate", the Patriots so-called "Dynasty" has suddenly become a huge question mark. Taping hand signals and practices can easily lead to a three point advantage, which of course is the number of points each Super Bowl they participated in this past decade were won and lost.

For the record, yes, Brady was a very lucky pick and not some stroke of genius. However, the Pats had to develop that talent and give that talent a chance to start. And, let him continue to start.

As far as them being a 'question mark'. They went 11-5 last year with a QB that you consider to be a POS. And, considering how important the QB is.... please don't talk about them being 'questionable'. They are a good, solid organization that almost went undefeated AFTER spygate.

SenselessChiefsFan
04-19-2010, 06:28 PM
Nonsensical is about as bad as that Just passin by dude who actually tried to say Laurence Maroney is good.

Hey, is Clausen worth a top five pick?

-King-
04-19-2010, 07:09 PM

WTF? 255? What's the point of a draft board if you're going to include every single player eligible? That's like going to a car dealership and saying "I want something with 4 wheels". You have to be specific with the players you want. What team has 255 players on their board?

I will await your curse word and anger fueled response.
Posted via Mobile Device