PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Need help with a 1992 Saturn SL-1

Pushead2
04-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Hey everyone, my girlfriend and I have a 2010 Acura TSX which we love but unfortunately we need another car....we don't want to shell out more than a grand for this beater car, since I will be using it since I'll be traveling 5min each way...I found a 1992 Saturn for $500 bucks here in Long Island. What do y'all think? It has only 92k miles, no airbag (don't care) and just needs a driver's side mirror which my buddy found me one at a junk yard he works at.... Here's the photos, I'm supposed to see it at 7pm. So any quick opinions would be slamming.

Pushead2
04-19-2010, 03:44 PM
More photos....Once again, I just need it for school, work & softball if she's teaching on weekends. Any opinions or help is really helpful and rep for those who give it!!!

Mr_Tomahawk
04-19-2010, 03:47 PM
^^I thought they had dent-resistant panels!! :LOL:

Baconeater
04-19-2010, 03:48 PM
If it starts, stops, and steers, it's worth $500.

Baconeater
04-19-2010, 03:49 PM
^^I thought they had dent-resistant panels!! :LOL:
It's not dented. :D

Radar Chief
04-19-2010, 03:50 PM
I just donít have a good opinion of anything with the name Saturn on it.

tyton75
04-19-2010, 03:54 PM
If it starts, stops, and steers, it's worth $500.

This..

Gonzo
04-19-2010, 03:59 PM
I was a saturn tech for a few years in the 90's.
Some common problems with them, (mostly due to owner neglect) was the timing chain and guides going tits-up. The easiest way to check is to start it with the hood open and listen for a rattle around the front right area of the engine. Also, pull the oil cap and see if there's any burnt oil on the bottom of it. You're checking for oil change frequency with that.
Next, pull the 2 middle spark plug wires. Check the bottom of them for a brown, peanut-butter type fluid. If you see it, don't buy the vehicle because anti=freeze has mixed with oil and you'll be replacing or rebuilding the engine.
If the car has a manual transmission, try to take off in 2nd gear. If it dies or vibrates badly, you may have a compression issue. If it has an automatic tranny, check the area underneath the drivers-side front for transmission fluid. It's quite common for the valve cover gasket to leak. This isn't an expensive repair but you need to check. Let me know if you have any more questions, I still have all of the tech manuals for that car. It was a decent vehicle because it was still the pre-GM years.
Fairly low mileage for the year as well.
Good luck.

Gonzo
04-19-2010, 04:01 PM
Oops, just saw the pics. It's an automatic.

DJ's left nut
04-19-2010, 04:02 PM
A car with less than 100K miles on it for $500 bucks?

If you turn the key and it starts, buy it. If the thing blows up on the drive home you can take it to a salvage yard for a couple hundred and not be out much.

In all honesty, unless you go and do something stupid like put a bunch of money into keeping it on the road for another decade, there's really no downside that I can see here.

JASONSAUTO
04-19-2010, 04:08 PM
A car with less than 100K miles on it for $500 bucks?

If you turn the key and it starts, buy it. If the thing blows up on the drive home you can take it to a salvage yard for a couple hundred and not be out much.

In all honesty, unless you go and do something stupid like put a bunch of money into keeping it on the road for another decade, there's really no downside that I can see here.

well we agree on this one

Pushead2
04-19-2010, 04:18 PM
Thanks everyone for the tips!!! I am going to go look at it tonight and check for what Gonzo said, if all is well I'll have the car. I'll keep everyone posted.

kepp
04-19-2010, 04:21 PM
It's not dented. :D

Yeah...it's kind of ripped.

Pushead2
04-19-2010, 04:44 PM
Yeah...it's kind of ripped.

Yeah that doesn't really bother us...I have a good friend of mine who owns a body shop if it turns out to be something of bother. I hope it works out.

InChiefsHell
04-19-2010, 04:54 PM
500.00? is there a faint smell of a dead body in the trunk or something??

Buy it. For craps sake, you can turn around and sell it easily for more.

I had a 2000 Saturn SL1 and we loved it. But the reverse gear went out in the tranny, not sure if that was a common problem. Traded it in...

Deberg_1990
04-19-2010, 04:56 PM
Its a piece of crap Saturn....

But For $500 you can do no wrong....

Buck
04-19-2010, 05:02 PM
You need to check the oil weekly. I had a saturn that burned through motor oil like no other.
Posted via Mobile Device

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-19-2010, 05:26 PM
You need to check the oil weekly. I had a saturn that burned through motor oil like no other.
Posted via Mobile Device

That's because most of those 1st and 2nd gen SL and SC's had a problem where the gasket was incorrectly cast, and as a result it would crack and leak oil.

My mom had a 96 SL1 once upon a time.

Pushead2
04-19-2010, 06:44 PM
I just got back from looking at it, going to do my car fax and insurance info tonight and give the guy an answer by later tonight.

No leaks, or peanut butter fluid or knocks. As per Gonzo.

It was idling a little hard but the guy said it's been sitting for a month or so.

JD10367
04-19-2010, 07:29 PM
Some common problems with them, (mostly due to owner neglect) was the timing chain and guides going tits-up. The easiest way to check is to start it with the hood open and listen for a rattle around the front right area of the engine. Also, pull the oil cap and see if there's any burnt oil on the bottom of it. You're checking for oil change frequency with that.
Next, pull the 2 middle spark plug wires. Check the bottom of them for a brown, peanut-butter type fluid. If you see it, don't buy the vehicle because anti=freeze has mixed with oil and you'll be replacing or rebuilding the engine.
If the car has a manual transmission, try to take off in 2nd gear. If it dies or vibrates badly, you may have a compression issue. If it has an automatic tranny, check the area underneath the drivers-side front for transmission fluid. It's quite common for the valve cover gasket to leak.

Holy shit, dude.

I think if you did these tests on all of our current cars, most would fail. LMAO

JD10367
04-19-2010, 07:34 PM
I believe the early Saturns had loud engines but, for that price with that mileage, you probably can't go wrong as long as the engine's in good shape (because, with less than 100k on it, the frame and suspension and brakes are probably not an issue). Keep in mind that the SL1 is the smaller engine so you won't be winning any jackrabbit starts from the red light.

I have a 1999 SL2 (slightly larger engine), bought it new 11 years ago, and have it up to 128,000 miles. I've changed the oil and had routine service right on time, and the car's pretty much behaved itself. No real issues aside from a tranny rebuild 2 years ago (manual transmission), although now that I have the mileage up on it the whole car's starting to rattle and have physical issues (probably needs about $1000 worth of work to suspension, brakes, etc.,.). The SLs were their first model IIRC and probably the most solid model they made in terms of things not fucking up on it, 'cause it's a pretty simple car.

InChiefsHell
04-19-2010, 09:12 PM
Not to be an asshole, but again, for 500 bucks if the thing runs, buy it. You are way ahead of the game...

Gonzo
04-19-2010, 09:19 PM
I just got back from looking at it, going to do my car fax and insurance info tonight and give the guy an answer by later tonight.

No leaks, or peanut butter fluid or knocks. As per Gonzo.

It was idling a little hard but the guy said it's been sitting for a month or so.

Yeah, that's going to be an issue. You need to do a few things after purchase.
1. Do an oil change. 4 qts of 5-30 and a AC delco or fram filter, (back-flo valve in these filters).
2. Fill it up with premium gas, high octane NO ETHANOL EVER!!!eleventy
3. you'll need to do a decarb on the throttle body. Get with your local auto parts store and ask for some BG intake cleaner. That's the best.

Let me know if that did the trick or if you have any questions.
Posted via Mobile Device

Darien25
04-19-2010, 09:49 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

My brother had this same model and it went through several quarts of oil every month. It looked great and drove great when he got it but we soon found out that it guzzeled oil. He always kept two or three quarts of oil in the trunk and a case in his garage. I've never seen a vehicle burn through oil like this.

Tylerthigpen!1!
04-19-2010, 10:07 PM
1. Do an oil change. 4 qts of 5-30 and a AC delco or fram filter, (back-flo valve in these filters).
3. you'll need to do a decarb on the throttle body. Get with your local auto parts store and ask for some BG intake cleaner. That's the best.

Posted via Mobile Device

High octane? Why is that?

Pushead2
04-19-2010, 10:17 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

1)Do you recommend any specific brand of motor oil??

2) just for the first fill up? Or for the time I own it?

3) how do you decarb the throttle body?

Baconeater
04-19-2010, 10:24 PM
My brother had this same model and it went through several quarts of oil every month. It looked great and drove great when he got it but we soon found out that it guzzeled oil. He always kept two or three quarts of oil in the trunk and a case in his garage. I've never seen a vehicle burn through oil like this.
I used to have a crappy old Pontiac Sunbird that used almost as much oil as gas. I even dumped used oil in it several times, figured what the heck, it was just going to burn it up anyway.

Tylerthigpen!1!
04-19-2010, 10:46 PM
Also if it is burning oil, try some 10w-30. It is thicker so it will help out if your rings/cylinder walls are worn.

Pushead2
04-20-2010, 12:47 AM
I appreciate all the help guys!

ToroGuns
04-20-2010, 07:12 AM
I have a 92 SL 1 Automatic, with inop fuel gauge, speedometer, and tach, along with ABS light on.

Is there a specific spot where the speedometer cable may be disconnected or loose?

Thanks!

Pushead2
04-20-2010, 07:13 AM
I have a 92 SL 1 Automatic, with inop fuel gauge, speedometer, and tach, along with ABS light on.

Is there a specific spot where the speedometer cable may be disconnected or loose?

Thanks!

besides that, has yours ran good or decently?

ToroGuns
04-20-2010, 07:19 AM
besides that, has yours ran good or decently?

It runs decently at best, but I sure would like to know how fast I'm going through the speed cams.

I bought it a year ago like this...

Amnorix
04-20-2010, 07:28 AM
I had a '93 Saturn for years and years before I gave it to my sister-in-law. Very solid and reliable car. I took it to over $100K and my SiL got another 25+K or whatever out of it.

But yeah, echoing the thoughts of others on this thread, $500 for anything that starts is pretty tough to argue with.

Gonzo
04-20-2010, 07:41 AM
1)Do you recommend any specific brand of motor oil??

3) how do you decarb the throttle body?

Sorry for the delayed response.

Do you recommend any specific brand of motor oil??

Whatever you prefer, just no synthetics. The bearing clearances are too slight to handle it. I use Penzoil, personally.

The 1st few times you gas it up.

3) how do you decarb the throttle body

Take off the air cleaner and routing pipe. (Plastic pipe attached to air cleaner.)
You'll see a carburetor-type barrel opening on the right-rear of the engine. While the car is running, open the throttle a little, the rpm's should be around 2000. Spray the decarb into the throttle body a little at a time. You will see a lot of blue-black smoke come from the exhaust and the engine will try to die. You should be able to keep it running by just giving it some gas via the throttle cable next to the throttle body. Or have someone inside the car operate the gas pedal if you want. I'd empty about 1/2 a can and see how it runs. If it still idles rough, empty the rest of the can and let it idle for about 15 minutes.
That should get it. If not, your plugs might be fouled. That's easy enough to do as well. Let me know how it works out for you.
Posted via Carple-Tunnel Device

JD10367
04-20-2010, 11:14 AM
I had a '93 Saturn for years and years before I gave it to my sister-in-law. Very solid and reliable car. I took it to over $100K...

You took it to over a hundred thousand dollars?!? Holy shit, man, that's a lot of car repairs!!

Pushead2
04-20-2010, 04:12 PM

Whatever you prefer, just no synthetics. The bearing clearances are too slight to handle it. I use Penzoil, personally.

Take off the air cleaner and routing pipe. (Plastic pipe attached to air cleaner.)
You'll see a carburetor-type barrel opening on the right-rear of the engine. While the car is running, open the throttle a little, the rpm's should be around 2000. Spray the decarb into the throttle body a little at a time. You will see a lot of blue-black smoke come from the exhaust and the engine will try to die. You should be able to keep it running by just giving it some gas via the throttle cable next to the throttle body. Or have someone inside the car operate the gas pedal if you want. I'd empty about 1/2 a can and see how it runs. If it still idles rough, empty the rest of the can and let it idle for about 15 minutes.
That should get it. If not, your plugs might be fouled. That's easy enough to do as well. Let me know how it works out for you.

Thanks for everything dude, I hope I can get another 40k - 50k out of it!!

Valiant
04-20-2010, 05:22 PM
Even if it craps out on you in two months it is worth it.. You should be able to get most of your money back on salvaging it when you are done.. Also if you not are putting a lot of miles on it I would look at seeing about a recreation insurance for it..

Gonzo
04-20-2010, 05:32 PM
Thanks for everything dude, I hope I can get another 40k - 50k out of it!!

No sweat, brotha.
Just make sure you change the oil every 3000 miles and you're golden, I'm sure.
Posted via Mobile Device

jbwm89
04-20-2010, 07:53 PM
another car question....I've got a 2001 Mercury Sable with 88k. The transmission went out a month ago and its sitting in the garage, most of the estimates I have gotten even for a rebuilt tranny are around 3,000. I don't need the car I just bought a 04 f250, but I am curious what you guys think would be the best way to get out of it losing the least money. I paid 3200 for it about 6 months ago and haven't really put anything in it since besides the plugs and wires i changed myself. Also, it is great condition besides the transmission

Baconeater
04-20-2010, 08:02 PM
another car question....I've got a 2001 Mercury Sable with 88k. The transmission went out a month ago and its sitting in the garage, most of the estimates I have gotten even for a rebuilt tranny are around 3,000. I don't need the car I just bought a 04 f250, but I am curious what you guys think would be the best way to get out of it losing the least money. I paid 3200 for it about 6 months ago and haven't really put anything in it since besides the plugs and wires i changed myself. Also, it is great condition besides the transmission
Really, your only choices are to bite the bullet and sacrifice it for whatever you can get out of it, or rebuild the tranny and drive it until the wheels fall off of it. You might find some sucker that will still give you $500 for it, but even that is a long shot seeing that a Sable isn't a sought after vehicle. Repairing it and selling it doesn't make any financial sense as it will gain you nothing, and you may even lose more $ on the deal. 3K sounds like an awful lot of $ for a tranny rebuild though, I'd keep calling around.

jbwm89
04-20-2010, 09:33 PM
Really, your only choices are to bite the bullet and sacrifice it for whatever you can get out of it, or rebuild the tranny and drive it until the wheels fall off of it. You might find some sucker that will still give you $500 for it, but even that is a long shot seeing that a Sable isn't a sought after vehicle. Repairing it and selling it doesn't make any financial sense as it will gain you nothing, and you may even lose more $ on the deal. 3K sounds like an awful lot of $ for a tranny rebuild though, I'd keep calling around.

That is what I was thinking, thanks for the advice I actually had the guy who towed it offer me 750. Anyone need a Transmissionless sable?

Baconeater
04-20-2010, 09:58 PM
That is what I was thinking, thanks for the advice I actually had the guy who towed it offer me 750. Anyone need a Transmissionless sable?
I'd take that $750 and run. I'd still call around on that tranny though, 3K just sounds ridiculously high.

Pushead2
04-20-2010, 10:35 PM
I'd take that $750 and run. I'd still call around on that tranny though, 3K just sounds ridiculously high.

I agree, I had an altima and they re did my tranny for 900 plus tax

Gonzo
04-20-2010, 10:36 PM

This...

If you have an amtech in your area, give them a call. (Amtech is a mechanic school and usually will repair cars for less to help students)
Posted via Mobile Device

Pushead2
04-21-2010, 02:19 AM

with step 3, as I clean it out do I rev the engine over and over until there is no more black & blue smoke anymore?

Gonzo
04-21-2010, 04:37 AM
with step 3, as I clean it out do I rev the engine over and over until there is no more black & blue smoke anymore?

Correct, (it should only take a few times). Afterwards, let it idle for a while so the ecm can reset.
Posted via Mobile Device