PDA

View Full Version : KSU Former KSU player Dylan Meier (Kerry's older brother) dies in hiking accident

irishjayhawk
04-19-2010, 10:55 PM
http://kansasstate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1076410

Sad.

DJ's left nut
04-19-2010, 10:58 PM
Sounds like he fell while rock climbing with the rest of his family (Kerry was reportedly there).

Tough deal.

Reaper16
04-19-2010, 10:59 PM
Oh my goodness. R.I.P.

DeezNutz
04-19-2010, 11:00 PM
Terrible.

Condolences to the family.

Bowser
04-19-2010, 11:09 PM
Holy hell. Way too young. RIP

KcMizzou
04-19-2010, 11:10 PM
Ugh. Very sorry to hear it.

Ebolapox
04-19-2010, 11:15 PM
damn, dude. RIP

Sure-Oz
04-19-2010, 11:15 PM
Shocking news

BWillie
04-19-2010, 11:34 PM
How'd he die

alanm
04-20-2010, 12:12 AM
RIP Dylan.

58kcfan89
04-20-2010, 12:37 AM
Here's a link to an account from someone who claims to have been at/around the scene.

http://timernst.com/currentjournal.html

Sad stuff. I remember watching Dylan play QB at K-State. He's not gunna go down as one of the all-time greats by any means, but the guy was tough as nails and seemed like a good guy. One of my favorites. RIP Dylan.

Coach
04-20-2010, 04:37 AM

Braincase
04-20-2010, 06:51 AM

X2

chief52
04-20-2010, 08:04 AM
Sad story...

Makes you realize that you need to enjoy every day to its fullest. You just never know.

threebag02
04-20-2010, 08:11 AM
RIP

Fritz88
04-20-2010, 08:18 AM
Sad news. Tough on Kerry before the draft.

I wish them all the best.

Alton deFlat
04-20-2010, 08:27 AM
Very tragic news. Dylan is from here in Pittsburg, and he grew up just a short distance from where I lived until a year ago.

ARKANSAS —
Dylan Meier, 26, Pittsburg, died this weekend after falling from a cliff while hiking with family members in Arkansas. Meier, a Pittsburg High School and Kansas State University athlete and graduate, slipped while attempting to climb up a rock to get a better view. He was set to travel to Korea to teach English prior to his death.

TrebMaxx
04-20-2010, 08:30 AM
Way too young. Condolences to the Meier family.

jwazzie
04-20-2010, 08:37 AM
Prayers with the family.

siberian khatru
04-20-2010, 08:38 AM
A former co-worker of mine died in a similar way last summer, hiking in the Catskills in NY. He was 32.

RIP.

KCFalcon59
04-20-2010, 08:44 AM
RIP. Way too young to go.

Deberg_1990
04-20-2010, 08:45 AM
Sad...RIP..

what are the details? Hiking accident? does that mean he fell off a cliff?

siberian khatru
04-20-2010, 08:46 AM
Sad...RIP..

what are the details? Hiking accident? does that mean he fell off a cliff?

Check the link in Post 11.

MikeTheWildcat
04-20-2010, 09:09 AM
Very sad news. RIP Dylan

Al Czervik
04-20-2010, 09:13 AM
RIP Dylan....
God Bless to the Meier family...

Lzen
04-21-2010, 11:14 AM
Column: Dylan's life a great re-read

[/URL]By [URL="http://cjonline.com/authors/kevin_haskin"]Kevin Haskin (javascript:window.print()) Created April 20, 2010 at 7:08pm
Updated April 20, 2010 at 7:14pm

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://cjonline.com/sites/all/themes/mst/font_sizer.js"></script> Media Day at the Fiesta Bowl is a massive grab-fest.
Standouts are located along the sideline, standing on mini-platforms addressing reporters.
All the other football players are available in the stands.
It was there I trudged in the warm Arizona sun in the days leading up to Kansas State's last BCS appearance, a bid the Wildcats received after trouncing Oklahoma for the 2003 Big 12 title.
Dylan Meier was sitting in the corner seats, away from the hubbub, biding his time. The story I was doing was a look-ahead to next season when Meier was likely to take over at quarterback.
On the record, the freshman was itching to play. Off the record, he was loving life.
Yet as wildly imaginative as Dylan Meier could be, there was no way he could anticipate what would happen over the next 72 hours. The New Year's arrest of starting quarterback Ell Roberson, and the subsequent turmoil that stirred, made it entirely possible Meier might play against Ohio State.
He didn't. Roberson started and went the distance. K-State still lost.
For years I wondered how Meier would have performed in that Fiesta Bowl. How it would have shaped his collegiate career.
Then, I got to know Dylan even better and realized it didn't matter. With each day he loved life even more.
His imagination became his reality. He went to places and did things most of us ponder wistfully, then dismiss. He even ran with the bulls.
We spoke again after he embarked on a European career in football. He then sent occasional updates — from Italy, New Zealand, Russia ... and sometimes Pittsburg, his hometown.
He always seemed to be on the go. Next stop, according to K-State (and Milan Rhinos) teammate Brandon Archer, was Korea. Meier was apparently set to teach English there.
But tragedy struck Monday.
Dylan Meier was killed in a freak accident while hiking with his family. The trip was arranged as a getaway before gathering to celebrate the selection of younger brother Kerry in this weekend's NFL draft.
Most days I curse myself for failing to kill e-mails. But not Tuesday. I re-read everything I kept that Dylan penned.
Sailing with Captain Keith in New Zealand ... dining on traditional seven course dinners in Italy ... wearing authentic winter military headgear he was presented in Russia — it was all quite entertaining. Again.
When I wrote some 15 months ago about Meier playing in Italy, many were reminded of the book, "Playing For Pizza," and asked if I'd read it. It may be the one novel by John Grisham I hadn't turned.
I bought it, but still haven't read it. I was content letting Dylan play out the real thing.
"Try to keep you updated," he closed in his last correspondence. "See ya when I see ya."
Damn. Just 26 years old.
"He would, right now, I'm quite certain, want people to celebrate his life and not mourn the loss," K-State coach Bill Snyder said. "He really did live an absolutely full and rewarding life."
Only Dylan never did coach, yet another move he eventually wanted to pursue.
Now I'm left to wonder how Meier would have shaped the careers of other players. His perspective would have been quite worldly. And in his own way, I'm convinced, he'd have had his players prepared.
Just like Dylan insisted he was that January night at the Fiesta Bowl.
I asked him. Had to after wondering for so many years. The transcription of that interview was something I also rediscovered Tuesday. Dylan's response didn't disappoint.
"I told coach Snyder I was ready," he said. "I really was. I had a good week of practice."
Kevin Haskin can be reached at (785) 295-1159 or kevin.haskin@cjonline.com.

Alton deFlat
04-21-2010, 12:43 PM
http://www.morningsun.net/featured/x1394800168/Details-of-Meier-s-death-revealed

JASPER, Ark. —

A day after his death was confirmed, more details were released Tuesday on the accident that killed former Pittsburg High School standout and Kansas State University starting quarterback Dylan Meier.

Meier, 26, died Saturday after falling from a cliff ledge in Arkansas.

According to the Newton County (Ark.) Sheriff’s Department, Meier was hiking at Whitaker Point near the Ozark National Forest when he slipped and fell from the edge of a group of rocks.

“He was hiking with his family in the Whitaker Point,” said Sgt. Kevin Thomas with the Newton County (Ark.) Sheriff’s Department. “It is a fairly used trail, and it is my understanding that he sat on the edge and when he got up, he lost his footing and fell almost 100 feet and was killed instantly.”

According to a report from the Newton County Coroner’s office, Meier suffered “multisystem trauma,” or severe injuries, and the death was ruled an accident.

“It is not an everyday occurrence, but we do have fatalities on the bluffs,” Thomas said. “It is a tourist area, and it is popular with tourists and photographers. But, this is the first one at that location in quite some time.”

The Meier family of Pittsburg is well-known throughout the state. Dylan’s older brother, Shad, played tight end for Kansas State from 1997-2000 and had a six-year NFL career, mainly with the Tennessee Titans.

Before college, Dylan starred as a quarterback at Pittsburg High School.

“During his days here at PHS as a football player, he epitomized the word ‘leadership,’” said Merle Clark, PHS football coach. “He was a two-year captain and a true leader on and off the field. The guys always knew that with Dylan in the game, they had a chance.

“He was a tough kid ... a real competitor. He was the person people always looked to for leadership.”

Clark said that Dylan was high on mottos. He always told his teammates: “Trust your training, believe in yourself and believe in your teammates.”

“He also used to say: ‘Play with pride. Play with poise. Play with passion,’” Clark said. “He did all of those.

“It was just total disbelief and shock when I found out. Personally, I can say I love Dylan Meier. When you lose somebody that close to you, it’s just a total shock.”

Dylan, 26, started six games in 2004 and the first five games at quarterback for Kansas State his senior season in 2006.

“Dylan was an absolutely unbelievable young man in all the right ways,” K-State head coach Bill Snyder said. “He was a leader in our program and was mature well beyond his years. He possessed all the intrinsic values that make one successful and guided others in that same direction. His spirit and passion for life, adventure and for others will live on in the hearts and minds of all of us that he touched. We will dedicate our spring game and our upcoming season to the memory of Dylan, the spirit he brought to this program, and to his family.”

Dylan’s younger brother, Kerry, was one of several family members who were also on the hiking trip, a University of Kansas spokesman said. Kerry was a record-breaking all-Big 12 wide receiver for the Jayhawks and is awaiting this week’s NFL draft.

Before the K-State spring football game — which Snyder said the Wildcats will dedicate to Dylan Meier — there will be a video tribute and a moment of silence.

Dylan was headed to Seoul, South Korea, to teach English. Friends and family members threw him a going-away party on Friday before the family left on the hiking trip. Clark said he remembered Dylan talking to current Northeast USD 246 Superintendent Mike Philpot about his future.

Dylan asked Philpot whether he could get his education degree in two years to become a high school teacher and coach.

“He was a great person who just attracted people around him,” Philpot said. “I think he would have been a fantastic teacher.”

Philpot said Dylan’s character showed when he came back to visit old teachers.

“He was just a great guy,” Philpot said. “He was an outgoing person and people liked being around him.”

Clark said he believed Dylan would have pursued a teaching career after he returned from Korea.

“I really think that was the dream he was going to pursue,” Clark said. “He would have been amazing at it.”