PDA

View Full Version : MU Mizzou Football Notes - Spring Practice Wrap Up + Weatherspoon Draft tidbit.

|Zach|
04-21-2010, 01:26 AM
(Via Dave Matter's Twitter - Mizzou Beat Writer)

Talked with @SeanWSpoon12. He says Broncos, Saints, Falcons, Chiefs seem most interested. Also hearing from Giants, Panthers & others

- - - - - - -

Emptying the Notebook from the Black and Gold Game - Dave Matter

http://ow.ly/1zWRe

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2699/4532136238_114a98cef7.jpg

Another Missouri spring practice session is history, and like every spring, there was some good, some bad and a whole lot of ehhh, just OK. That’s the nature of spring football. For every yard gained by the offense is one surrendered by the defense. Every sack is a block missed. It’s silly to overanalyze or draw major conclusions from glorified practices played in April, especially the Black and Gold scrimmage, which is usually just a cameo for the team’s biggest stars and nothing more than a choreographed exhibition. For the media assembled at Saturday’s scrimmage — and, I suppose, for a good deal of the 15,000 fans at Memorial Stadium — the two-hour event was mostly a distraction from the Mike Anderson saga unfolding in Columbia/Eugene/El Paso.

Coaches don't expect major revelations during spring practices. Nor do they celebrate major successes or wallow over major failures. If anything, spring football is a time to brush up on the core pillars of a team’s playbook, fiddle with a few new ideas and identify some potential contributors for the fall. As I’ve seen many times over the last decade, the product on April’s practice field doesn’t always replicate itself in August. Nonetheless, let’s take a look back at Saturday’s scrimmage — a brief look — and begin to review what we learned about Missouri over the last six weeks.

The No. 1 offense looked rusty in the first half. It wasn’t Blaine Gabbert’s most polished passing day, and his receivers hurt him with some drops. Unlike last spring, Gabbert was with his full arsenal of top receivers — remember, Danario Alexander and Jared Perry didn’t play in the 2009 spring game — but his most impressive play was a scramble up the middle for 20 yards that would have gone for 49 under normal tackling rules.

Across the line of scrimmage, the No. 1 defense was snarling all over the field, as I wrote in Sunday’s Tribune. The pass rush was consistently putting heat on freshman QB James Franklin. Linebackers were dialed in. Corners were all over the ball. It was a great day for the 1s," cornerback Kevin Rutland said. "I thought spring ball was really productive for us. We had a great start, kind of slowed down a little but finished strong today." Which means what exactly? Not much until they’re keeping score for real, but to see four takeaways, including two on cornerback interceptions, is a promising development for this defense.

I compiled all the individual stats from MU’s five spring scrimmages, and here’s how they turned out. Read into these numbers at your own risk. In some scrimmages the more established players played fewer reps, and more often than I recall, the starters scrimmaged against the starters this spring — though not on Saturday — and backup units scrimmaged against backup units.

PASSING
Blaine Gabbert: 49 of 100 (49.0 percent), 499 yards, 2 TDs, 2 INTs, 93.5 rating
James Franklin: 33 of 64 (51.6 percent), 216 yards, 4 INTs, 67.4 rating
Jimmy Costello: 25 of 64 (39.1 percent), 236 yards, 2 INTs, 63.8 rating
Ashton Glaser: 33 of 61 (54.1 percent), 239 yards, TD, 3 INTs, 82.6 rating
Tyler Gabbert: 31 of 59 (52.5 percent), 216 yards, TD, 3 INTs, 78.7 rating

RECEIVING
T.J. Moe: 27 receptions-163 yards
Michael Egnew: 21-183, TD
Beau Brinkley: 17-145
Jerrell Jackson: 14-130
L’Damian Washington: 13-80
Rolandis Woodland: 11-112, TD
Wes Kemp: 5-59
RUSHING
Derrick Washington: 37 carries – 201 yards (5.4 per carry), 7 TDs
Kendial Lawrence: 25-96 (3.8)
De’Vion Moore: 9-33 (3.7)
DEFENSE
Brayden Burnett: 4 sacks
Aldon Smith: 3 sacks
Brad Madison: 2 sacks
Michael Sam: 2 sacks
Luke Lambert: 2 sacks
Bart Coslet: 2 sacks
Kevin Rutland: 4 INTs
Carl Gettis: INT
Will Ebner: INT
Robert Steeples: INT
Jarrell Harrison: INT
Jasper Simmons: INT
● SPRING OFFENSIVE MVP: No offensive skill-player was more consistently productive this spring than senior tailback Derrick Washington. He was especially valuable near the goal line, scoring seven TDs. Down almost 10 pounds from his 2009 playing weight, Washington showed off his renewed quickness throughout the spring, never more so than on a dump-off pass on third-and-11 Saturday that turned into a 27-yard gain.

Runner-up: There were some promising moments provided by Gabbert, Egnew and Moe, but here’s a vote for center Tim Barnes, for holding together a revamped offensive line that played with two first-year players on the left side and lined up three different players at right guard. Barnes is the undisputed leader of a line that held up well despite the turnover this spring. (While we're at it, here's a that might have gotten lost in the Anderson hubbub.)

● SPRING DEFENSIVE MVP: He might not impact as many plays quite like my runner-up selection, but the plays cornerback Kevin Rutland made on the ball in scrimmages this spring gives this defense hope. No player embraced MU’s more aggressive coverage schemes more than the senior corner, who picked off four passes in five scrimmages and knocked down several more. If Rutland gets in position to attack passes like he did this spring he could push for all-conference honors.

Runner-up: It might only be fair to grade defensive end Aldon Smith on a spring curve. Few offensive tackles in the Big 12 will have much luck blocking Smith this fall, and considering he was usually lined up against greenhorn left tackles Jack Meiners and Mark Hill, Smith should have been racking up the sacks and TFLs this spring. And he did. On Saturday, Smith gave credit to MU’s cornerbacks for giving him time to get in the backfield. “They’ve just been on top more and been covering their guys better,” he said, “which makes the quarterback think more and helps us get to the ball. And that helps us get sacks.”

That’s all for now. I’ll revisit spring football throughout the week here on the blog, plus, don’t forget, the NFL draft begins with the first round Thursday night. Former Missouri linebacker Sean Weatherspoon plans to watch the draft live at his family’s home in Jasper, Texas, where he hopes to hear his name called Thursday. I’ll have more on Weatherspoon and MU’s other draft hopefuls later this week.

Pitt Gorilla
04-21-2010, 01:32 AM
MU fans need to enjoy Aldon Smith while he's in Columbia.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-21-2010, 01:55 AM
Smith has all the tools to be a great pass rusher in the NFL.

eazyb81
04-21-2010, 06:49 AM
MU fans need to enjoy Aldon Smith while he's in Columbia.

I really hope he stays next year so he can play with Big Sheldon in the middle. Also will be nice to throw Kony Ealy into the mix this year.

kepp
04-21-2010, 07:12 AM
I really hope he stays next year so he can play with Big Sheldon in the middle. Also will be nice to throw Kony Ealy into the mix this year.

That'd be nice to have two guys on our DL that require double teams.

Priest31kc
04-21-2010, 10:15 AM
Yes, I really hope he stays. Aldon, Sheldon, Jacquies Smith, and Ealy.....

buddha
04-21-2010, 10:29 AM

This +1

Pitt Gorilla
04-21-2010, 10:35 AM
Ealy will never make it to campus and we didn't want him anyway. /Nebraska Fan.

buddha
04-21-2010, 10:40 AM
PG, Nebraska fan didn't want Blaine or Tyler Gabbert either.

kepp
04-21-2010, 11:13 AM
Ealy will never make it to campus and we didn't want him anyway. /Nebraska Fan.

PG, Nebraska fan didn't want Blaine or Tyler Gabbert either.

Let's just clarify this:

1. Nebraska GETS anyone they want
2. Nebraska KEEPS anyone they REALLY, REALLY want, but not those they didn't necessarily NOT WANT since the beginning.

Reaper16
04-21-2010, 11:28 AM
Let's just clarify this:

1. Nebraska GETS anyone they want
2. Nebraska KEEPS anyone they REALLY, REALLY want, but not those they didn't necessarily NOT WANT since the beginning.
I thought of a new phrase to be connected to Nebraska fans in some way: High Fucktose Corn Syrup.

|Zach|
04-21-2010, 09:52 PM
I thought of a new phrase to be connected to Nebraska fans in some way: High ****tose Corn Syrup.

ROFL