PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Alabama linebacker McClain could be a surprise first-round pick for Chiefs

Tribal Warfare
04-21-2010, 03:43 AM
Alabama linebacker McClain could be a surprise first-round pick for Chiefs (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/04/20/1891866/alabama-linebacker-mcclain-could.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

For all these months, it was going to be an offensive tackle. Or a safety. Maybe even another defensive lineman. The Chiefs have needs, and they have the fifth overall pick in the NFL draft, which begins Thursday. They have options, but at least the drama seemed limited to a handful of positions.

But it’s possible that another surprise could be ahead, same as when the Chiefs drafted defensive end Tyson Jackson last year with the third overall pick.

“Don’t be shocked if it’s Rolando McClain,” said Chris Landry, an NFL consultant and former scout. “It’s a safe pick.”

Reliability is among the most attractive features for a team that can afford no more draft-day busts. McClain was an All-America inside linebacker at Alabama last year. He’s 6 feet 3 and 254 pounds. He won a national championship. He excelled in the Crimson Tide’s 3-4 defense, calling the defensive signals since he was a true freshman. And he won the Butkus Award last season, the first Alabama player to be chosen the nation’s best linebacker since Derrick Thomas, the Hall of Famer and former Chiefs star.

“This is something I’m used to,” McClain said at the NFL combine. “I’m used to being the leader.”

Those are factors powerful enough to make any team notice — particularly a franchise that needs a consistent inside linebacker. The Chiefs’ top inside defenders are Derrick Johnson and Corey Mays, who became the starter last year after Zach Thomas was injured and then released. Mays signed his restricted free agent tender Tuesday, meaning he at least figures into the Chiefs’ immediate plans.

But it’s not as if the Chiefs don’t need help at the position. Most draft experts predict McClain will be selected in the top half of the first round but not in the top five. Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli proved last year he doesn’t conform to conventional thinking, passing over several higher-rated prospects in favor of taking Jackson at No. 3.

The Chiefs reportedly held a workout and had a dinner meeting with McClain earlier this month.

If the idea of another Derrick Thomas is tantalizing, some have suspected that McClain carries similar off-the-field baggage as what Thomas brought when the Chiefs drafted him fourth overall in 1989. McClain was involved in a fight during his sophomore year at Alabama, and he suffered burns and scrapes in 2008 when he lost control of his motorcycle and crashed it into the back of a former teammate’s SUV. McClain was wearing a helmet but still spent several nights in a Tuscaloosa hospital.

The incidents — and whispers of other missteps — are enough to stir questions, but those who’ve known McClain longest said it’s not a measure of who McClain is now.

“He was Rolando. He knew he was gifted. You know how those kind of people can be at times,” said Brian Quarles, who helped coach linebackers at Decatur (Ala.) High when McClain was there. “He kind of had that mentality at times, but I wouldn’t say he did all the time.

“He’s kind of like every other person in the world. We have those moments where we do stupid things. … It’s just a misjudgment at those points in times, but I think he’s matured.”

Thomas was able to become a dominant linebacker in spite of occasionally questionable judgment, and some think McClain is the kind of talent whose play will overshadow all else. Those who know him tout his intelligence and NFL readiness.

But questions remain. The Chiefs drafted Jackson last year in part because Jackson possessed a spotless background. They’d never have to worry about him. If all else makes sense about the Chiefs considering McClain, his past is the only factor that might make him an imperfect fit.

That and the notion that Pioli might not select an inside linebacker with the fifth pick — a realm of the draft normally reserved for quarterbacks, linemen and receivers.

“I would doubt he would expend a fifth pick in the draft on an inside linebacker,” NFL.com analyst Mike Mayock said. “Even though you’re talking about the same philosophical question, you’re talking about two different positions of value. Left tackle is a much higher position of value than an inside linebacker in a 3-4.”

Still, the question is there. The drama remains. If it’s up to McClain, he said he’s made his points and is waiting to see which team grabs him.

“A lot of guys saw the way I worked (at Alabama), and they admired the way I worked,” he said. “It was tough sometimes, but they admired me. They actually listened.

“I’m a leader. I had to lead seniors as a freshman. My biggest thing is wanting to win. So if I have to be a leader in order for us to win, that’s what I’ll do, no matter the circumstance.”

Rausch
04-21-2010, 04:01 AM
If this were to end the streak of underperforming 1st rounders I'd be ecstatic.

I'd tickle the balls of a leprechaun...

Pushead2
04-21-2010, 04:04 AM
I'd tickle the balls of a leprechaun...

Hmmmmmm..... :hmmm:

Tuckdaddy
04-21-2010, 04:05 AM
I have no prob if they grab him. We need LB's that know the system and I've seen most of this kids games. He can hit hard and is a leader.

Mecca
04-21-2010, 04:07 AM
I would, you don't take LB's with top 5 picks.

Rausch
04-21-2010, 04:12 AM
Hmmmmmm..... :hmmm:

Thus, I highly doubt it happens...

Jethopper
04-21-2010, 04:19 AM

Ya, DT didn't turn out very well for us..

BossChief
04-21-2010, 04:19 AM
Even Id be disapointed with the pick if its made at 5. If we add a second rounder and take Ro, Im fine with that...or a first next year.

Rausch
04-21-2010, 04:24 AM
Has anyone considered that if we have no fucking clue what we'll do with the 5 pick our GM/FO has done its job?...

Silock
04-21-2010, 04:53 AM
Has anyone considered that if we have no fucking clue what we'll do with the 5 pick our GM/FO has done its job?...

I don't think our GM has any fucking clue what he'll do with the pick. He needs to do his fucking job.

big nasty kcnut
04-21-2010, 05:18 AM
No to him yes to berry. I think.

Coach
04-21-2010, 06:17 AM

Then with that logic, u don't pick a safety with top 5 picks.
Posted via Mobile Device

HotRoute
04-21-2010, 07:24 AM
It was kinda my understanding that when you have a real high draft pick you get to pick whoever the he'll you want. Just as long as they play like an elite player

AndChiefs
04-21-2010, 07:27 AM
If I write an article about every possible pick I'll eventually get it right.

Dave Lane
04-21-2010, 07:33 AM
McClain I wish on the donkeys. I don't trust him at all. He has Crohns, he doesn't have Crohns, his mom has Crohn's. No thanks.

TheGuardian
04-21-2010, 07:34 AM
If we traded down and grabbed an extra 2nd and took McClain, sure. No problem. But at #5???? Fuck no.

BigRedChief
04-21-2010, 07:38 AM
One rumor I had heard was that Pioli was an advocate of trading down to get McClain and picking up another 2nd rounder. I've heard both the Bills and 49r's as possible trading pardners.

The Bad Guy
04-21-2010, 07:42 AM
One rumor I had heard was that Pioli was an advocate of trading down to get McClain and picking up another 2nd rounder. I've heard both the Bills and 49r's as possible trading pardners.

The problem with that theory is Clausen is going to be there for Buffalo at 9. They aren't going to hand over a 2nd rounder when there are no obstacles in the way of drafting him at their original spot.

The Chiefs also aren't dropping 8 spots. McClain is going to be gone to Denver at 11, or the NYG in a tradeup at 10, so getting McClain at 13 is a pipedream.

BigRedChief
04-21-2010, 07:46 AM
The problem with that theory is Clausen is going to be there for Buffalo at 9. They aren't going to hand over a 2nd rounder when there are no obstacles in the way of drafting him at their original spot.

The Chiefs also aren't dropping 8 spots. McClain is going to be gone to Denver at 11, or the NYG in a tradeup at 10, so getting McClain at 13 is a pipedream.Didn't say I had any faith in the rumor, just saying what I heard.:p

I've heard more rumors about the Bills trading up to us to get Claussen and the 49r's, Philly trading up to get Berry than these McClain rumors anyway.

the Talking Can
04-21-2010, 07:47 AM

yeah, this seems frighteningly plausible

but the dude isn't a pass rushing olb, and he isn't even patrick willis in terms of athletic gifts....and i liked mcclain prior to the chrohns diagnosis...but if we pass on berry for a diseased ilb who doesn't project to be ray lewis....yeesh

TheGuardian
04-21-2010, 07:47 AM
If we take him at 5 that will be beyond ridiculous.

Dave Lane
04-21-2010, 07:54 AM
I don't want him at all. As much as I'd hate to have a muron on the team I'd take Witherspoon first.

And Crohns is nasty nasty stuff. He had a attack on his pro-day. Then said he doesn't even have it. No way I take him maybe in 2nd but someone makes that mistake ahead of me.

the Talking Can
04-21-2010, 08:00 AM
I don't want him at all. As much as I'd hate to have a muron on the team I'd take Witherspoon first.

And Crohns is nasty nasty stuff. He had a attack on his pro-day. Then said he doesn't even have it. No way I take him maybe in 2nd but someone makes that mistake ahead of me.

i'd rather have witherspoon, spiller, demaryius thomas, hughes...all these guys will be difference makers and can be had much lower if our goal is to just trade down..

or we could just do the right thing for once and choose clausen/berry

SenselessChiefsFan
04-21-2010, 08:01 AM
I think this is better than Bualaga.....

Dave Lane
04-21-2010, 08:03 AM
I think this is better than Bualaga.....

No.

The Bad Guy
04-21-2010, 08:06 AM
It is absolutely better than Bulaga, but that doesn't say much.

I again was told this morning it's Okung or Berry depending on what Washington does.

Take that with a grain of salt.

the Talking Can
04-21-2010, 08:11 AM
It is absolutely better than Bulaga, but that doesn't say much.

I again was told this morning it's Okung or Berry depending on what Washington does.

Take that with a grain of salt.

sounds like the discussion in this thread:
http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=226840

arrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhh

so we have to hope for the Chiefs 'plan B' in order to make the right pick....figures....

jesus if we draft another first round LT while Berry is sitting there...

oldandslow
04-21-2010, 08:12 AM
Washington will take Okung, imo.

Honestly, I believe Berry will be the pick.

The Bad Guy
04-21-2010, 08:29 AM
Washington will take Okung, imo.

Honestly, I believe Berry will be the pick.

I hope they do, but honestly when do things go right for us?

SenselessChiefsFan
04-21-2010, 08:30 AM
No.

I have a different opinion of McClain. The kid is a stud and will be a pro bowler. I think Bualaga is just a good player, not special. McClain, to me, is special.

Do I want him there? No. I would rather have Suh, Okung, or Berry.

That said, if it is him or Bualaga.... I want McClain every day of the week.

SenselessChiefsFan
04-21-2010, 08:32 AM
I hope they do, but honestly when do things go right for us?

I hope they don't. Because I think that the Chiefs are taking an OT here. I would rather get Okung than Bualaga.

I would love the Chiefs to draft Suh. That is who I want. If he is there, and they draft Bualaga or McClain.... well.... I will have to replace a TV.

Farzin
04-21-2010, 08:34 AM

What were the Chiefs thinking when they took Derrick Thomas?

The Bad Guy
04-21-2010, 08:35 AM
I hope they don't. Because I think that the Chiefs are taking an OT here. I would rather get Okung than Bualaga.

I would love the Chiefs to draft Suh. That is who I want. If he is there, and they draft Bualaga or McClain.... well.... I will have to replace a TV.

They aren't taking Bulaga. There is a zero percent chance of it happening.

The Bad Guy
04-21-2010, 08:36 AM
What were the Chiefs thinking when they took Derrick Thomas?

He's talking about non-pass rushing LB's.

SenselessChiefsFan
04-21-2010, 08:37 AM
They aren't taking Bulaga. There is a zero percent chance of it happening.

I hope....strike that.... I PRAY that you are right. I can't see the logic, but boy that name just keeps coming up.....like my lunch every time I hear it.

SenselessChiefsFan
04-21-2010, 08:39 AM
By the way, given the lack of goog linebackers in this draft, I can see the logic of drafting McClain over Berry. I would still take Berry, but I can 'understand' taking him over Berry. I can't understand taking him over Suh or Okung though.

milkman
04-21-2010, 08:42 AM

Great, let's take another 5 tech in the top 5.

Brilliant!!!

Sully
04-21-2010, 08:54 AM
I really like McClain. But this would be disappointing, unless we raped someone on a trade down.

Brock
04-21-2010, 08:58 AM

Brilliant!!!

I get your point, but it would be pretty hard for me not to like Suh as a Chief.

HotRoute
04-21-2010, 08:59 AM
I'm giving up hope that we will take the right guy, I'm starting to think we will all be pissed off by fri morning

DBOSHO
04-21-2010, 09:04 AM
If by some chance we did get suh, what would the lineup look like?

Lde-jackson
nt- beefed up dorsey
rde-suh?

SenselessChiefsFan
04-21-2010, 09:04 AM

Brilliant!!!

This isn't Tyson Jackson. This is the best player in the draft. Just adding him to the side of Tamba Hali gives the Chiefs a pass rush that they haven't had a in a few years.

The other part is that if the Chiefs play 4-3 or 3-4, he is a stud. So yeah, it would be brilliant.

SNR
04-21-2010, 09:05 AM
Reliability is among the most attractive features for a team that can afford no more draft-day busts
Worse?? How can it get any worse? Jehovah! Jehovah!

http://www.bleedyellow.com/blogs/texasswede/resource/BLOGS_UPLOADED_IMAGES/monty_python_brian_stoning.jpg

SenselessChiefsFan
04-21-2010, 09:05 AM

Lde-jackson
nt- beefed up dorsey
rde-suh?

Yes.

DBOSHO
04-21-2010, 09:07 AM
clausen
suh
berry

thats my wishlist for the 5.

I dont think theres any way suh gets there, but nobody thought dorsey would either

Micjones
04-21-2010, 09:08 AM
Fuck surprises...
1. Berry
2. Clausen
3. Trade down

Farzin
04-21-2010, 09:13 AM
He's talking about non-pass rushing LB's.

Ah gotcha.

HemiEd
04-21-2010, 09:15 AM

The Chiefs also aren't dropping 8 spots. McClain is going to be gone to Denver at 11, or the NYG in a tradeup at 10, so getting McClain at 13 is a pipedream.

That seems to be the concencous by the guys on Sirius.

beer bacon
04-21-2010, 09:15 AM
How is McClain more "safe" than Berry? How is McClain more valuable than Berry? If the concern with Berry is that we shouldn't take a safety that high, then we shouldn't be taking a slow 3-4 ILB at #5 either. McClain makes no sense if Berry is still on the board.

mlyonsd
04-21-2010, 09:16 AM
I really like McClain. But this would be disappointing, unless we raped someone on a trade down.

This.

beer bacon
04-21-2010, 09:17 AM
By the way, given the lack of goog linebackers in this draft, I can see the logic of drafting McClain over Berry. I would still take Berry, but I can 'understand' taking him over Berry. I can't understand taking him over Suh or Okung though.

I can't. Berry is the best safety prospect in years. McClain is not. There are no safeties in this draft that are even close to Berry.

boogblaster
04-21-2010, 09:22 AM
We need a safety .. we need a LB that has called the D since he was a freshman too ....

milkman
04-21-2010, 09:22 AM
This isn't Tyson Jackson. This is the best player in the draft. Just adding him to the side of Tamba Hali gives the Chiefs a pass rush that they haven't had a in a few years.

The other part is that if the Chiefs play 4-3 or 3-4, he is a stud. So yeah, it would be brilliant.

There isn't one thing to not like about Suh.

And there's no question that he's a far better player than Tyson Jackson can ever dream of being, but we're still talking about three consectutive top 5 5 techs in the draft.

milkman
04-21-2010, 09:24 AM

Lde-jackson
nt- beefed up dorsey
rde-suh?

Yes.

No.

If that's the way you want to go, you run the Dallas 34 and Keep Dorsey at his current weight so he can penetrate and disrupt.

SenselessChiefsFan
04-21-2010, 09:26 AM
No.

If that's the way you want to go, you run the Dallas 34 and Keep Dorsey at his current weight so he can penetrate and disrupt.

I think you don't 'beef him up' so to speak, but you also don't keep him slimmed down like last year. I think we are pretty close to agreement on this.

SenselessChiefsFan
04-21-2010, 09:28 AM
There isn't one thing to not like about Suh.

And there's no question that he's a far better player than Tyson Jackson can ever dream of being, but we're still talking about three consectutive top 5 5 techs in the draft.

I understand, but IF they take Suh, it means that Dorsey goes to NT.

Oh, AND, it would mean that the Chiefs can't take a 5 tech next year because they won't have a place to play him. :thumb:

SenselessChiefsFan
04-21-2010, 09:29 AM
We need a safety .. we need a LB that has called the D since he was a freshman too ....

If we are going to just go on "needs".... then we need just about every position. We have to go on guys that are worth the pick.

chiefzilla1501
04-21-2010, 09:33 AM
If we are going to just go on "needs".... then we need just about every position. We have to go on guys that are worth the pick.

No. It has to consider both.

If you're the Chargers and for some reason have a #1 pick, you're not picking Sam Bradford when you have Philip Rivers.

The Chiefs are set at 5-technique. Dorsey would be worse as a NT than he is as a 5-technique.

This move doesn't make us any better than keeping Dorsey/Jackson where they are and taking a very good Nose Tackle in the second. And you get to pocket your first round pick. Especially given that Nose Tackle is the most important position, why would we put a guy at the 0 technique (Dorsey) when he's not even equipped to play it that well?

Chiefnj2
04-21-2010, 09:34 AM
McClain isn't a top 10 talent.

keg in kc
04-21-2010, 09:46 AM
I know I've said this before over the last few months, and that I'm absolutely alone in thinking it, but I actually believe McClain would be a better choice for KC than Barry, in terms of the impact I think he'd have on the team both long- and short-term. He's a 3-down linebacker who can play the run, cover and rush the pass. In short, he's physically and athletically everything you could possibly want. But that's not what's good about him. He's smart, he's instinctive, he recognizes everything that's going on in front of him, and he's been playing the 3-4 for years. I think he can step in right out the gate, and not just play, but lead this defense for the next decade. I think he could be the keystone the whole thing is built around.

Not that I don't think Barry is going to be great, I think he's the best safety prospect in years - I just think McClain is an insanely perfect fit for what this franchise needs.

But neither pick is going to make a whole lot of difference if they don't find a NT and a pass rusher to line up across from Hali. Barry, in particular, is going to have a hard time of it as a pro if there isn't a solid front 7 in front of him. It's not a knock on him personally in any way; it's just the reality of the safety position. But, either way we go, I think we'll have a star for years if we make the right personnel moves in front of them. I think they're both players with tremendous potential, and I wouldn't fault the team for picking either one, whether it's at 5 or later. I don't think Clausen would necessarily be a bad move, either, with Weis in the war room (same logic holds if we don't take Clausen; again, Weis is in the war room...).

Mr. Laz
04-21-2010, 09:50 AM
looks like Babb has been reading Cplanet again.

BarrySPAMAID
04-21-2010, 12:15 PM
It's easy to justify McClain if the Chiefs traded down a few slots. But most of the "insider" mocks I have been studying, have Denver taking McClain. How sweet it would be to take a player from the Donks TWO YEARS IN A ROW??

I'm just sayin, I think I can make legit argument for the Chiefs to just take McClain at 5. Especially if Berry isn't there. Again, Ideally, the Chiefs can move down, and still steal McClain from Denver before they pick. If I am Scott Pioli, that's gotta cross my mind at some point right?

Dicky McElephant
04-21-2010, 12:23 PM
It's easy to justify McClain if the Chiefs traded down a few slots. But most of the "insider" mocks I have been studying, have Denver taking McClain. How sweet it would be to take a player from the Donks TWO YEARS IN A ROW??

I'm just sayin, I think I can make legit argument for the Chiefs to just take McClain at 5. Especially if Berry isn't there. Again, Ideally, the Chiefs can move down, and still steal McClain from Denver before they pick. If I am Scott Pioli, that's gotta cross my mind at some point right?

Yeah, because it was so awesome when we stole Tyson Jackson from Denver. :doh!:

Count Alex's Losses
04-21-2010, 12:25 PM
I know I've said this before over the last few months, and that I'm absolutely alone in thinking it, but I actually believe McClain would be a better choice for KC than Barry, in terms of the impact I think he'd have on the team both long- and short-term. He's a 3-down linebacker who can play the run, cover and rush the pass. In short, he's physically and athletically everything you could possibly want. But that's not what's good about him. He's smart, he's instinctive, he recognizes everything that's going on in front of him, and he's been playing the 3-4 for years. I think he can step in right out the gate, and not just play, but lead this defense for the next decade. I think he could be the keystone the whole thing is built around.

Not that I don't think Barry is going to be great, I think he's the best safety prospect in years - I just think McClain is an insanely perfect fit for what this franchise needs.

But neither pick is going to make a whole lot of difference if they don't find a NT and a pass rusher to line up across from Hali. Barry, in particular, is going to have a hard time of it as a pro if there isn't a solid front 7 in front of him. It's not a knock on him personally in any way; it's just the reality of the safety position. But, either way we go, I think we'll have a star for years if we make the right personnel moves in front of them. I think they're both players with tremendous potential, and I wouldn't fault the team for picking either one, whether it's at 5 or later. I don't think Clausen would necessarily be a bad move, either, with Weis in the war room (same logic holds if we don't take Clausen; again, Weis is in the war room...).

Barry?

keg in kc
04-21-2010, 12:33 PM
Barry?The other Barry, Berry.

Pre-10 am is not my friend.

Dicky McElephant
04-21-2010, 12:33 PM

Berry played the position for 3 years. Each year he has been asked to do something different and he has excelled at it. He can play deep. He can cover a TE or a slot receiver. He can sit down in the box and stop the run. The dude is a beast.....and is totally worth the 5th overall pick.

keg in kc
04-21-2010, 12:34 PM
Berry played the position for 4 years. Each year he has been asked to do something different and he has excelled at it. He can play deep. He can cover a TE or a slot receiver. He can sit down in the box and stop the run. The dude is a beast.....and is totally worth the 5th overall pick.And I have never said he isn't.

Chiefnj2
04-21-2010, 12:35 PM
Berry played the position for 4 years. Each year he has been asked to do something different and he has excelled at it. He can play deep. He can cover a TE or a slot receiver. He can sit down in the box and stop the run. The dude is a beast.....and is totally worth the 5th overall pick.

You realize he's an underclassman?

Dicky McElephant
04-21-2010, 12:38 PM
You realize he's an underclassman?

Shit....3 years....not 4.

KCrockaholic
04-21-2010, 12:46 PM
So lets pass on Aaron Curry for Tyson Jackson in a shallow draft class @ 3. But we should take McClain @ 5 who is closer to being a mid-round prospect than a top 5, and pass on the 2nd best player in this draft?

Dicky McElephant
04-21-2010, 12:50 PM
So lets pass on Aaron Curry for Tyson Jackson in a shallow draft class @ 3. But we should take McClain @ 5 who is closer to being a mid-round prospect than a top 5, and pass on the 2nd best player in this draft?

It's the Chiefs way!

ChiefMojo
04-21-2010, 12:55 PM
The difference is McClain is a true 3-4 ILB that Curry was not. McClain has played in a 3-4 while at Alabama coached by Nick Saban/Kirby Smart. Curry could have been a 3-4 ILB possibly, but it would have been something new for him. The Chiefs probably didn't think he was a good fit overall (like it or not). If the Chiefs think McClain can be that ILB leader for many years to come, don't be surprised they reach a little for him or hopefully trade back some to land him. With that said, I prefer Berry.

keg in kc
04-21-2010, 12:55 PM
So lets pass on Aaron Curry for Tyson Jackson in a shallow draft class @ 3. But we should take McClain @ 5 who is closer to being a mid-round prospect than a top 5, and pass on the 2nd best player in this draft?McClain's a better prospect than Curry. Curry in this draft would probably be a mid- to late-first round pick. He was elevated by being part of a weaker (overall) draft class. And the two of them aren't really comparable in any way, any more than McClain and DJ are. McClain's a more complete player than either of them, as well as a much smarter one.

Chiefnj2
04-21-2010, 12:57 PM
McClain's a better prospect than Curry. Curry in this draft would probably be a mid- to late-first round pick. He was elevated by being part of a weaker (overall) draft class. And the two of them aren't really comparable in any way, any more than McClain and DJ are. McClain's a more complete player than either of them, as well as a much smarter one.

I disagree completely.

Epic Fail 007
04-21-2010, 12:57 PM
oh so i guess that derrick thomas pick was all wrong,4th overall,wake up troll,ur words make no sense

ChiefMojo
04-21-2010, 12:58 PM
Curry is a very good 4-3 LB, he is NOT a 3-4 ILB!

milkman
04-21-2010, 12:59 PM
oh so i guess that derrick thomas pick was all wrong,4th overall,wake up troll,ur words make no sense

Ur our dumm.

Brock
04-21-2010, 01:01 PM

Because Derrick Thomas is your typical LB.

KCrockaholic
McClain's a better prospect than Curry. Curry in this draft would probably be a mid- to late-first round pick. He was elevated by being part of a weaker (overall) draft class. And the two of them aren't really comparable in any way, any more than McClain and DJ are. McClain's a more complete player than either of them, as well as a much smarter one.

You are so wrong. That's all I have to say.

keg in kc
I disagree completely.That's fine. I'm not gonna call you a moron or anything. We're all entitled to our opinions.

Although it makes for more interesting discussion when you actually say why.You are so wrong. That's all I have to say.It's an opinion. There's no "right" or "wrong" to it.

Saccopoo
04-21-2010, 01:10 PM

Conversely, you could make the exact same argument and points about Matt Tennant at the center position. Why isn't anyone advocating him for our first round pick?

keg in kc
04-21-2010, 01:12 PM
Conversely, you could make the exact same argument and points about Matt Tennant at the center position. Why isn't anyone advocating him for our first round pick?I don't think I'd ever say that any center is ever going to be the keystone an entire unit could be build around. So...no. Just...no.

Saccopoo
04-21-2010, 01:19 PM

For the love of Christ...he's a Mike backer in a 3-4 that doesn't blitz very effectively and doesn't cover well. He's a downhill run pursuit/plugger guy. Period. He's relatively slow.

He's not Pat Willis. Not even remotely close.

He's the exact same player that James Laurinaitis was last year - without the numbers.

In fact, Brandon Spikes has better on the field attributes than McClain in terms of coverage skills, blitzing and pursuit.

Again, McClain is a pure 3-4 Mike backer. There is no way possible that a guy like that is a top five pick, and that's not even factoring in his mediocre measurables. It takes a guy like Willis or Berry to even consider that position in the top five. A guy that transcends the position in terms of not only his proven production, but his other worldly physical gifts. McClain ain't that type of guy. It would be a worse pick than Tyson Jackson was last year.

Saccopoo
04-21-2010, 01:22 PM
I don't think I'd ever say that any center is ever going to be the keystone an entire unit could be build around. So...no. Just...no.

Sure he is. He's calling out the line assignments and is the hinge on the offensive line. Saturday is just as much a quarterback on the field as Manning is. And Tennant is an All-American, a four year starter, who's played and excelled in a pro-style set.

I'd wager that the center position holds more positional value than a 3-4 Mike linebacker.

As such, I don't see why Tennant wouldn't be any more relevant or more so as the Chiefs first round pick in comparison to McClain.

keg in kc
04-21-2010, 01:28 PM
For the love of Christ...he's a Mike backer in a 3-4 that doesn't blitz very effectively and doesn't cover well. He's a downhill run pursuit/plugger guy. Period. He's relatively slow.You're right about all that. Except that he can blitz, he does cover well, and he's not a downhill run pursuit/plugger guy. But other than that, you're right on the mark. Well done.

Anyway, this is getting ridiculous. McClain isn't "my guy". I don't have "a guy". So I think I've done all the McClain talk that I need to. I think he's a talented player with a bright future, one of a group of guys I'd be okay drafting, along with Berry or Clausen or basically anybody else who isn't an offensive lineman. Hell, I'll probably be happy with anybody not named Okung or Trent Williams or Bulaga at this point.

KCrockaholic
04-21-2010, 01:31 PM
Although it makes for more interesting discussion when you actually say why.It's an opinion. There's no "right" or "wrong" to it.

Alright I'll get into this a bit even though I'm feeling lazy today. I studied, researched and watch more of Aaron Curry than any person on this board last year. I was completely on the Curry band wagon. Curry has the same football IQ as McClain. I give McClain the benefit of the doubt on this though because he is so cerebral in the film room. Aaron Curry was the best coverage LB in last years draft class coming out, and it wasn't even close. Curry had nobody playing in front of him to say "he was just a production of 'so and so'" like McClain did with Terrence Cody. If you stuck Cody in front of Curry at WF, Curry would have been thought of even higher. Some people think that Curry was just a "physical freak". Well when I hear that I think about Vernon Gholston. Curry was nothing like Gholston physically. Curry is built like a LB is supposed to be built.

The ONLY knocks on Curry is that he was stiff in his hips in change of direction, and that he had minimal sack production (because he was almost never used as a pass rusher). Aaron Curry had through the roof character, much like McClain in that respect. Curry is also better at fighting through blocks to break up a play. McClain is just a big-time run stopper, and doesn't offer what Curry did as a coverage LB.

I'm not at all saying that McClain is not a good player, because if you put him in the right system he would be fantastic.

keg in kc
04-21-2010, 01:42 PM
I'm not at all saying that McClain is not a good player, because if you put him in the right system he would be fantastic.And that right there is what I've been saying. The right system for McClain would happen to be the one that we run. And, as with Berry, I think his success or failure would depend on the pieces we put around him. Which isn't any kind of sleight on either of them; I don't think Reed or Polemalu are the same players without the tremendous front-7s they're behind. So, whoever we take, Berry, McClain, or anybody else, it's going to have to come with some other moves, or they're going to be put into a position to fail (much like Jackson last year).

But I'm not married to either of them. If we take Berry, great. If we take McClain, great. I happen to give an edge, in terms of preference, to McClain in terms of the impact I think he'd have here, as I pointed out, but it doesn't really matter to me, in the end. I don't think we can go wrong either way.

As for Curry, he was and is a strong-side 4-3 LB, and I don't think he was ever a consideration here, or an option. Said it before, he isn't comparable to McClain, any more than DJ is. I happen to think McClain is a more polished, more rounded linebacker prospect, but I've never made it any kind of secret that I was never on the Curry bandwagon.

Epic Fail 007
04-21-2010, 01:43 PM
Ur our dumm.

whos the dummy it are not our,its are u did not even spell dumm right,lmao,u amuse me,ur stupid,MARK IT,LOL

KCrockaholic
04-21-2010, 01:45 PM
whos the dummy it are not our,its are u did not even spell dumm right,lmao,u amuse me,ur stupid,MARK IT,LOL

Kid....:facepalm:

Epic Fail 007
04-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Curry is a very good 4-3 LB, he is NOT a 3-4 ILB!

agree

keg in kc
04-21-2010, 01:46 PM
That was so tarded it's funny.

Dicky McElephant
04-21-2010, 01:47 PM

JFC dude. :doh!:

Epic Fail 007
04-21-2010, 01:48 PM
Kid....:facepalm: u have no clue bout me so zipp it

keg in kc
04-21-2010, 01:48 PM
You know, all this talk about McClain and Berry and Clausen and they're going to end up drafting a tight end or a guard or a punter and we're all going to destroy our TVs.

KCrockaholic
04-21-2010, 01:50 PM
u have no clue bout me so zipp it

You're fucking stupid. I know that much, and that's all I need to know. You fucking troll.

KCrockaholic
04-21-2010, 01:51 PM
You know, all this talk about McClain and Berry and Clausen and they're going to end up drafting a tight end or a guard or a punter and we're all going to destroy our TVs.

ROFL Ray Guy FTW!

milkman
04-21-2010, 01:53 PM

Uh......dumbass, I didn't spell anything right in that post, cause I was making fun of your dumb ass.

Jesus fucking Christ, go to school or something, and learn how to use the English language, dumbass.

Then when you get an education, get a job, earn some money, then buy a fucking clue.

Epic Fail 007
04-21-2010, 01:55 PM
You're ****ing stupid. I know that much, and that's all I need to know. You ****ing troll.

way off......pedro

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-21-2010, 03:16 PM
Dear Babb,

STFU