PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft 3rd Report in 4 Days: 49ers seriously consiering Claussen

Marco Polo
04-21-2010, 07:52 AM
I would not be shocked if we trade down.

<TABLE class=s_playerNewsTable id=Table1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=487 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=s_playerNewsLeftBorder>http://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif</TD><TD class=s_playerNewsText>http://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif
Citing a "source with knowledge of the situation," NFL.com's Jason LaCanfora reports the 49ers are "seriously considering" Notre Dame QB Jimmy Clausen in the first round.
LaCanfora's report is the third in the last four days claiming the Niners have serious interest in Clausen. If he does fall to No. 13, San Fran would have to be wondering why three teams desperately in need of a quarterback (Browns, Raiders, and Bills) would pass on the potential solution.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

the Talking Can
04-21-2010, 07:53 AM
sigh......

MoreLemonPledge
04-21-2010, 07:59 AM
Why would they trade with us when they know Seattle won't be taking a QB? They could trade up with them and pay less.

tyton75
04-21-2010, 08:16 AM
In this draft.. I would trade them for their 2 firsts.. and maybe a later round pick.. even if it were next year..

we need players.. and to get 2 1st round talents in this draft would be great

McClain and Thomas maybe?

talastan
04-21-2010, 08:17 AM
This combined with the increased McClain to Chiefs talk might actually give this rumor some substance. :hmmm:

Frosty
04-21-2010, 08:18 AM
Why would they trade with us when they know Seattle won't be taking a QB? They could trade up with them and pay less.

Division rivals.

BigCatDaddy
04-21-2010, 08:20 AM

Who says we wouldn't take less for 5 then Seattle would for 6?

Kclee
04-21-2010, 08:32 AM

Maybe Seattle doesn't want to move down.

Frosty
04-21-2010, 08:34 AM
Maybe Seattle doesn't want to move down.

Seattle isn't going to help a division rival get a QBOTF.

CaliforniaChief
04-21-2010, 08:45 AM

I actually think Seattle is in the market to draft a QB. Hasselbeck is definitely on the downside of his prime, and Pete Carroll knows how important having a franchise QB is.

siberian khatru
04-21-2010, 08:45 AM
In this draft.. I would trade them for their 2 firsts.. and maybe a later round pick.. even if it were next year..

IIRC the value math lines up perfectly: Our 1 and 2b for their two 1s.

KurtCobain
04-21-2010, 08:46 AM
If the Chiefs don't pick Clausen, I will kill Pioli.

keg in kc
04-21-2010, 08:50 AM
I guess we've found our latest chronic Chiefsplanet misspelling. Either that, or the 49ers are looking for a new pickle sponsor.

TRR
04-21-2010, 08:50 AM
If the Chiefs don't pick Clausen, I will kill Pioli.

Then you might as well do it before the draft because it isn't happening.

Posted via Mobile Device

milkman
04-21-2010, 08:53 AM
I've said it before.

Any tradedown scenario for me would have to include getting a first round pick next year so that we have the ammo to move up next year to get the QB that we almost certainly will need.

TRR
04-21-2010, 08:56 AM
I've said it before.

Any tradedown scenario for me would have to include getting a first round pick next year so that we have the ammo to move up next year to get the QB that we almost certainly will need.

Lol!
Posted via Mobile Device

cookster50
04-21-2010, 09:04 AM
I've said it before.

Then why not get the QB this year?

KurtCobain
04-21-2010, 09:05 AM

Because Pioli sucks penis.

milkman
04-21-2010, 09:07 AM

Because I'm not sold on Clausen.

Pestilence
04-21-2010, 09:07 AM
Lol!
Posted via Mobile Device

Are you dense?

Matt Cassel is not a Franchise QB. If we don't get a franchise QB this year....then we're damn sure going to need to get one next year.

milkman
04-21-2010, 09:10 AM
Are you dense?

That was a rhetorical question, right?

Brock
04-21-2010, 09:10 AM
Lol!
Posted via Mobile Device

Great post.

TRR
04-21-2010, 09:14 AM
Are you dense?

Matt Cassel is not a Franchise QB. If we don't get a franchise QB this year....then we're damn sure going to need to get one next year.

I wasn't laughing at that retard. I was laughing at the notion that KC would pick up a first round pick next season. Nobody is coming up to 5, swapping first rounders, and giving KC another one back next year.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigCatDaddy
04-21-2010, 09:16 AM
I wasn't laughing at that retard. I was laughing at the notion that KC would pick up a first round pick next season. Nobody is coming up to 5, swapping first rounders, and giving KC another one back next year.
Posted via Mobile Device

Do you watch the draft much?

Pestilence
04-21-2010, 09:17 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Just double checking.

And it all depends. If San Francisco is really enamored with Clausen....then they could trade up from 17 and throw in their 1st round pick next year. That allows them to fill two holes in the 1st this year. I'm not saying it's going to happen....I'm just saying that it is possible.

TRR
04-21-2010, 09:18 AM
Do you watch the draft much?

Every year.

Nobody wants to draft in the top 5. KC is not getting a swap of firsts and another first round pick next year. Your a fucking idiot if you think that's even a possibility this year.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dayze
04-21-2010, 09:21 AM
what happens 'if' Bradford and Clausen are there at 5?

.....I'd probably laugh and cry if the Chiefs didn't take either of them.

*I know, I know....they won't both be there at 5...just wondering "IF" *

BigCatDaddy
04-21-2010, 09:24 AM
Every year.

Nobody wants to draft in the top 5. KC is not getting a swap of firsts and another first round pick next year. Your a ****ing idiot if you think that's even a possibility this year.
Posted via Mobile Device

It's basically the equivalent of a 2nd round pick this year. Look, Denver swapped what turned out the be the 16th pick in this years draft for the 37th pick last year. So while it might not be likely because only 1 or 2 teams get that type of trade each year, it's possible.

milkman
04-21-2010, 09:26 AM
Every year.

Nobody wants to draft in the top 5. KC is not getting a swap of firsts and another first round pick next year. Your a ****ing idiot if you think that's even a possibility this year.
Posted via Mobile Device

No, you're a fucking idiot if you think a team won't do it to get the QB they want, because unlike you, dumbass, some people recognize the importance of the QB position in the NFL.

It's not like a midget league QB where you played.

TRR
04-21-2010, 09:35 AM
No, you're a fucking idiot if you think a team won't do it to get the QB they want, because unlike you, dumbass, some people recognize the importance of the QB position in the NFL.

It's not like a midget league QB where you played.

Again, nobody is swapping first round picks and giving up a 2nd next year to move up to get Jimmy Clausen. There is no need to move up to 5. Seattle isn't taking a QB...why move up to 5?

Maybe Madden is more suitable for you.
Posted via Mobile Device

keg in kc
04-21-2010, 09:37 AM
Teams have been giving less and less to move up. Just last year, all the Browns got for 5 was 17 and 57, which was a handful of picks from the end of the 2nd round. I would say a first next year is pretty unlikely.

Pestilence
04-21-2010, 09:38 AM
Again, nobody is swapping first round picks and giving up a 2nd next year to move up to get Jimmy Clausen. There is no need to move up to 5. Seattle isn't taking a QB...why move up to 5?

Posted via Mobile Device

To get ahead of Cleveland. No one has a clue what any team is going to do in the draft. Seattle probably won't take a QB.....but they could trade up to #5 and make sure they get Clausen before the Browns have a chance to take him. Seattle has no need to trade down.

Pestilence
04-21-2010, 09:39 AM
Teams have been giving less and less to move up. Just last year, all the Browns got for 5 was 17 and 57, which was a handful of picks from the end of the 2nd round. I would say a first next year is pretty unlikely.

The Browns took an ass raping for that pick. They just didn't want the #5.....they were willing to take whatever they could get to move out of it.

philfree
04-21-2010, 09:39 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

This is probably the last draft where the 1st round picks get the crazy money like they have been getting the last few years. If I were a team with two 1st rounders this year I'd want to move off one of those picks. Trade out to the 2nd round or combine picks and move up to get a QB if you believe he's a franchise QB. If I were the 9ers and were going to trade I use this years extra 1st and not next years.

PhilFree:arrow:

Brock
04-21-2010, 09:40 AM
That's the kind of deal that gets a GM fired.

keg in kc
04-21-2010, 09:43 AM
The Browns took an ass raping for that pick. They just didn't want the #5.....they were willing to take whatever they could get to move out of it.They did. Which doesn't change the fact that it's the most recent relevant trade on the books. There just isn't traditionally a lot of movement into the top 5, and the value of those picks in trade has clearly declined. Doesn't mean it can't or won't happen, but I think it's fair to say it's pretty unlikely. Meaning just the trade itself. I think the idea that such a trade would involve a future first is a good bit more unlikely.

milkman
04-21-2010, 10:12 AM

Posted via Mobile Device

Since you're a dumbass that doesn't understand the value of QB, what you think is pretty fucking irrelevant.

If I'm sitting at 5, and a team with a clear need for QB calls to ask about a trade, and I got an elite propspect (Berry) sitting there that I'd be more than happy to take if you don't give me my asking price, then fuck you.

You're too fucking stupid to understand that, though.

milkman
04-21-2010, 10:14 AM
They did. Which doesn't change the fact that it's the most recent relevant trade on the books. There just isn't traditionally a lot of movement into the top 5, and the value of those picks in trade has clearly declined. Doesn't mean it can't or won't happen, but I think it's fair to say it's pretty unlikely. Meaning just the trade itself. I think the idea that such a trade would involve a future first is a good bit more unlikely.

The didfference is the Chiefs will be sitting there with an elite prospect to pick if the don't like the offer.

Last year's draft was pathetic at the top.

keg in kc
04-21-2010, 12:00 PM
The didfference is the Chiefs will be sitting there with an elite prospect to pick if the don't like the offer.

Last year's draft was pathetic at the top.I agree with that, I just don't think the difference in value would be quite that large. So I think expecting a future first is expecting too much. It's one thing to hope for it, hell, I'd hope for it, too, but I don't think it's realistic to expect it to happen, or to say anything less than that is somehow a failure.

'course it's hard to say at this point, without knowing who's on the board, who the potential trade partners are, and so on.

milkman
04-21-2010, 12:11 PM
I agree with that, I just don't think the difference in value would be quite that large. So I think expecting a future first is expecting too much. It's one thing to hope for it, hell, I'd hope for it, too, but I don't think it's realistic to expect it to happen, or to say anything less than that is somehow a failure.

'course it's hard to say at this point, without knowing who's on the board, who the potential trade partners are, and so on.

Just for reference, so you know what the Niners gave up to get an extar 1st this year?

A 2nd and 4th in last year's draft.

Future picks do not have the value that people seem to think they have.

Essentially, trading into the 5th spot from #13 with next year's 1st is the same as trading a 1st and 2nd this year.

MoreLemonPledge
04-21-2010, 12:14 PM
This article mentions nothing about trading up.

I'm sure the 49ers will strongly consider Clausen if/when he falls to them. There's no way they're trading up to 5 to take him.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-21-2010, 02:06 PM
Of course they're interested, they're not a bunch of Kansas City Chiefs front-office fucktards with their heads clearly up their asses.