PDA

View Full Version : Football Generic Football Question

Rain Man
04-21-2010, 02:25 PM
I was pondering this totally independent of the draft.

Which scenario would you rather have? Assume for the sake of this argument that "two complementary defenders" are defenders whose natural lineup means that they complement each other. These could be an LDE and LDT, two ILBs in a 3-4, an OLB and a CB, or a FS and a SS. You can define it however you want.

Assume the rest of the defense is average.

Scenario A. You have two complementary defenders who are both adequate at run coverage and pass coverage. Neither is a star at run stopping or pass coverage, but neither is a slouch. Two solid well-rounded players, though neither is a pro bowler.

Scenario B. You have two complementary defenders. One is very strong against the run, but doesn't play the pass well. The other is very strong against the pass, but doesn't play the run well. Both have pro bowl talent in their area of strength, but are notably weak in the other area, so they don't make pro bowls.

mlyonsd
04-21-2010, 02:27 PM
A. A weakness is easier to exploit and a strength is easier to avoid.

KCrockaholic
04-21-2010, 02:28 PM
A great example of "complementary defenders" is taking Rolando McClain with our 1st then taking Cody with our 2nd. That would be a perfect situation IF we went that route which I am hoping doesn't happen.

But I would take scenario B.

SPATCH
04-21-2010, 02:29 PM
SAY BITCH. WHAT DAT SMELL LIKE?

Hog Farmer
04-21-2010, 02:29 PM
B .Use the one that is probowl caliber at run stopping to stop the run and use the probowl caliber pass defender to stop the pass. Topic over

KCrockaholic
04-21-2010, 02:30 PM
B .Use the one that is probowl caliber at run stopping to stop the run and use the probowl caliber pass defender to stop the pass. Topic over

Yup. This.

Dayze
04-21-2010, 02:31 PM
where's the scenario for OT, and 5-tech?

RJ
04-21-2010, 02:36 PM
Scenario A. In scenario B the weakness of one or the other will be constantly exploited.

Count Zarth
04-21-2010, 02:43 PM
Scenario A. You have two complementary defenders who are both adequate at run coverage and pass coverage. Neither is a star at run stopping or pass coverage, but neither is a slouch. Two solid well-rounded players, though neither is a pro bowler.

Eric Hicks & Joe Phillips

Scenario B. You have two complementary defenders. One is very strong against the run, but doesn't play the pass well. The other is very strong against the pass, but doesn't play the run well. Both have pro bowl talent in their area of strength, but are notably weak in the other area, so they don't make pro bowls.

Dan Saleamua and Derrick Thomas

loochy
04-21-2010, 03:20 PM
Eric Hicks & Joe Phillips

Dan Saleamua and Derrick Thomas

So, which pair was better?

:D

Rain Man
04-21-2010, 03:43 PM
The poll is turning out kind of like I thought. You can make an argument for either case. I went with Scenario B myself, under the guise that you can scheme more on defense to take advantage of strengths.

Hog Farmer
04-21-2010, 03:47 PM
Rain, you are becoming known as the poll master. That may not be a good thing to let get around.