PDA

View Full Version : Life San Marcos, TX

Sully
04-22-2010, 10:07 AM
Barring something unseen, we'll be making a move there. Visited a couple of weeks ago, but not terribly impressed.

Anyone been to/lived in the area?

notorious
04-22-2010, 10:09 AM
I have flown there a couple of times.

Not to bad, but not amazing.

Just remember that you are a stone's throw away from some of the best cities in the US.

KC native
04-22-2010, 10:11 AM
The primary NBA team for TV is the Spurs so you have that going for ya.

Sully
04-22-2010, 10:11 AM
Yeah. Pretty close to both Austin and San Antonio.

And we didn't get the best chance to see the whole city while we were there, but left thinking we didn't like the town.

Sully
04-22-2010, 10:13 AM
The primary NBA team for TV is the Spurs so you have that going for ya.

Not a positive.
NBA is far down mylist of sports priorities.

dirk digler
04-22-2010, 10:15 AM
Why are you moving if you don't mind me asking? We went through San Marcos a couple of years ago when we went to San Antonio. Can't really say I was impressed about anything.

KC native
04-22-2010, 10:18 AM
Not a positive.
NBA is far down mylist of sports priorities.

well....then....at least your close to Austin and San Antonio. :shrug:

Oh, and I've never been but I heard Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels is the shit.

Sully
04-22-2010, 10:22 AM
Why are you moving if you don't mind me asking? We went through San Marcos a couple of years ago when we went to San Antonio. Can't really say I was impressed about anything.

Wife has a great career opportunity there. We spent the past few days in Scottsdale, and a few days last week in San Marcos, and found that, for her career, San Marcos is a great great great chance.
Hopefully I can find work there, too.

notorious
04-22-2010, 10:23 AM
Wife has a great career opportunity there. We spent the past few days in Scottsdale, and a few days last week in San Marcos, and found that, for her career, San Marcos is a great great great chance.

Scottsdale, damn that would be very hard to give up for San Marcos IMO.

KCtotheSB
04-22-2010, 10:23 AM
I lived in San Antonio for a while (Air Force) and have since been stationed elsewhere, but I can tell you that San Marcos has a ton of outlet stores and is about 30 miles outside of San Antonio. There's a nearby water park called Schlitterbahn (never went). As far as the area, I can't really comment per say, but just off my initial vibe: there's not a whole lot in the area outside of the outlet stores and a 30 mile trip to S.A......

Reaper16
04-22-2010, 10:24 AM
I have a friend who lives there, teaching at Texas State. I've never been though.

Sully
04-22-2010, 10:27 AM
I have a friend who lives there, teaching at Texas State. I've never been though.
Yeah. Great campus. I already emailed the HC to see if they needed a grD assistant, but they are full this season.

We didn't really like Scottsdale that much, and CoL was ridiculous there, it seemed.

Sully
04-22-2010, 10:29 AM
Hardest thing is going to be trying to outdo the "Texas is the best at everything" bravado down there. It was annoying.

angelo
04-22-2010, 10:33 AM
You are real close to Austin which is good.
Check out the trailers and if you like Indian cuisine go to Clay Pit.
Good Hunting and Fishing
Great tortillas at El Milagro.
Great if your a hippie
If you like to shop there is the 3rd best shopping in the nation at the San Marcos outlets.

And I am spent.

Ang

PunkinDrublic
04-22-2010, 10:44 AM
Not a bad choice. The economy here in Tx is relatively better than the rest of the country so you have a good shot at getting a job,

Deberg_1990
04-22-2010, 10:47 AM
As others have said Sully,

San Marcos isnt very big or has much to do....

But its close to Austin and San Antonio..

Theres a ton of stuff up and down I-35 between Austin and SA.

Oh, its a college town (Texas State) so at least theres always eye candy around.

The city recently got named in Businessweek as one of the "Best places to raise your kids 2010" heh...whatever that means??

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09/11/1117_best_places_to_raise_kids/44.htm

Phobia
04-22-2010, 10:48 AM
Hardest thing is going to be trying to outdo the "Texas is the best at everything" bravado down there. It was annoying.

Get over it. I've lived in 12 states as an adult and Texas is by far the best I lived in. I'm not a native, don't live there any longer, and I'm not a crazy redneck. But I'm still saying it. So go down there and enjoy your time.

notorious
04-22-2010, 10:50 AM
Texas is easily one of the nicest states.

Mr. Kotter
04-22-2010, 11:05 AM
Get over it. I've lived in 12 states as an adult and Texas is by far the best I lived in. I'm not a native, don't live there any longer, and I'm not a crazy redneck. But I'm still saying it. So go down there and enjoy your time.

Yep. I second this. Texas isn't nearly as bad about the "bravado" crap as some other states I've been too....NY, FL, CA, and several others. Outsiders just seem to like to flip Texans crap.

San Marcos...meh. Okay for a town of 50,000. Not too exciting outside of what's been mentioned though. Best thing, as has been said....close to two outstanding real cities: San Antonio and Austin.

Demonpenz
04-22-2010, 11:08 AM
bunch of blondes with big titties everywhere

Sully
04-22-2010, 11:12 AM
Yep. I second this. Texas isn't nearly as bad about the "bravado" crap as some other states I've been too....NY, FL, CA, and several others. Outsiders just seem to like to flip Texans crap.

San Marcos...meh. Okay for a town of 50,000. Not too exciting outside of what's been mentioned though. Best thing, as has been said....close to two outstanding real cities: San Antonio and Austin.

I get being proud of where you are from. I'm proud to be from Independence. I'm proud to be from Kansas City. But with a few of the people we met with, it was a constant one-up game. It was a situation where they were trying to sell us pretty hard on the place, so I'm sure that was part of it. But it just got a little old.

Reaper16
04-22-2010, 11:16 AM
My friend Rosie who lives in San Marcos tells me about how bad the "Everything is better in Texas" syndrome is. She says that it is pervasive and annoying and incessant.

HypnotizedMonkey
04-22-2010, 11:17 AM
it's ok if you like hot college chicks.

Phobia
04-22-2010, 11:18 AM
My friend Rosie who lives in San Marcos tells me about how bad the "Everything is better in Texas" syndrome is. She says that it is pervasive and annoying and incessant.

Insecurity.

cookster50
04-22-2010, 11:21 AM
it's ok if you like hot college chicks.

Who doesn't?

Reaper16
04-22-2010, 11:26 AM
Insecurity.
I bet you like St. Louisians too.

rambleonthruthefog
04-22-2010, 11:38 AM
san marcos itself is nothing special. that being said, the country side for a 50-100 miles in any direction is beautiful and filled with recreational activity. obviously austin is only 30 min to the north and san antonio only an hour to the south. more to do between austin and san antonio then you'll ever have time to do.

edit: you can get good prices on brand new homes in that area. Big homes under 200K

rambleonthruthefog
04-22-2010, 11:41 AM

just hang out with people that don't say how great TX is all the time. there are plenty of us here that realize that yes we are great, but other people don't really wanna hear it. your friend needs to hang out with cooler people.

aside from that my father in law once told my cousin from WY that everything is bigger in TX. he replied, "yeah, especially their egos" he was 11

38yrsfan
04-22-2010, 11:45 AM
I found the best thing about Texas to be the people.

The countryside is basically arid desert in the west and arid scrub tress in the east, not very attractive. There are some nice spots (Daingerfield State Park for example)but you have to constantly be aware of where you stand and sit because of the insects that crave your flesh - fire ant bites suck.

Get used to frequent pest control or get used to the roaches.

The "Nowhere But Texas" mentality is pervasive but I found it to be something more to smile at than anything - an expected trait of any true Texan. Roll with it and it will be much more fun.

I've had many friends and comrades and count a couple of Texans as among the best.

IMHO.

PunkinDrublic
04-22-2010, 11:46 AM

There's so many transplants that live down here myself included. About half of my circle of friends grew up somewhere else. Being close to Austin you're just about guaranteed a band will come through Austin. Floating the brazos in the summertime is a blast as well.

patteeu
04-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Oh, and I've never been but I heard Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels is the shit.

It is definitely top notch.

dirk digler
04-22-2010, 11:47 AM

Well good luck to both of you. We went to Schlitterbahn which is right down the road which is pretty good. I think they have a tubing river in San Marcos that alot of locals and visitors do.

patteeu
04-22-2010, 11:52 AM

You'll get used to it. And if you live there long enough, you might even start to think like they do.

I found that one of the neat (in an obscure way) things about living in Texas is that when you watch the national nightly news, you often see that Texas is relevant unlike Missouri or Kansas where you can go weeks or months without being mentioned. New Yorkers and Californiacs might still look down their snooty noses at you, but Texas isn't flyover country like MO/KAN is.

This.

bishop_74
04-22-2010, 11:53 AM
San Marcos is OK if you want to live outside of, but close to the city. Austin is by far one of the more fun places I have lived and you are 30 minutes from downtown.

bishop_74
04-22-2010, 11:55 AM

Stings a little bit more when it's true... I know. ;)

Deberg_1990
04-22-2010, 11:55 AM
Well good luck to both of you. We went to Schlitterbahn which is right down the road which is pretty good. I think they have a tubing river in San Marcos that alot of locals and visitors do.

yep, Tubing is a national pastime around New Braunfels/San Marcos area.....and the water slides at Schillterbahn are outstanding.

38yrsfan
04-22-2010, 11:59 AM
San Marcos is OK if you want to live outside of, but close to the city. Austin is by far one of the more fun places I have lived and you are 30 minutes from downtown.

Yep, I always had a great time in Austin

patteeu
04-22-2010, 12:02 PM
yep, Tubing is a national pastime around New Braunfels/San Marcos area.....and the water slides at Schillterbahn are outstanding.

The two things that I think make Schlitterbahn stand out are (1) the water is always cool even on the hottest days of summer because it's spring fed and (2) there are plenty of big trees (which isn't all that common in that part of Texas) so you can get shade when you want to on a hot Texas afternoon.

sportsman1
04-22-2010, 12:05 PM
1st generation Texan here since the family is from KC. Definitely love the state. San Marcos is a little funky for me, but I love the area. Hill country is bar none best part of the state, SA is a lot of fun as is Austin in small doses. I don't think you can go wrong really. Job market is as decent as possible statewide for now.

dirk digler
04-22-2010, 12:06 PM
The two things that I think make Schlitterbahn stand out are (1) the water is always cool even on the hottest days of summer because it's spring fed and (2) there are plenty of big trees (which isn't all that common in that part of Texas) so you can get shade when you want to on a hot Texas afternoon.

Yep. I love that some of the slides drop into the river.

38yrsfan

........... and if Texas is still how it was when I lived there the scenery should be world class, mostly blond and barbie.

rambleonthruthefog
arid scrub tress in the east, not very attractive. There are some nice spots

are you crazy? east tx is beautiful. its like the louisianna evergreen forests. not to mention the deserts, hill country, swamp lands, canyons, mountains, more rivers and lakes then you know what to do with, rolling prarie and even an ocean(though the beaches are not as nice as others).

dirk digler
04-22-2010, 12:07 PM
Another positive I guess is that you are probably only about 4-5 hours away from the beach

vailpass
04-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Scottsdale, damn that would be very hard to give up for San Marcos IMO.

Not everybody likes it here. For example most of my friends from the midwest come to visit, enjoy their stay but could never live here.
Hell I'll move back to the midwest for at least part of the year when I retire.
This area has a lot of upsides to it as well as downs.

38yrsfan
04-22-2010, 01:41 PM
are you crazy? east tx is beautiful. its like the louisianna evergreen forests. not to mention the deserts, hill country, swamp lands, canyons, mountains, more rivers and lakes then you know what to do with, rolling prarie and even an ocean(though the beaches are not as nice as others).

No, not crazy, just particular .....beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Lived in TX for many years and know it well, a couple years in high school, went back later got married there, went to college there and grauated from UNT in Denton, worked at Parkland Hospital, Dallas for many years, 3 kids born there, etc. .... it has all that you mention to some degree but is still exremely arid in most areas of central/west TX and incredibly humid during a 6 month long summer in east TX.

Living in really, beautiful country kind of spoils a person. The Pacific NorthWest has real mountains, real forests, and streams, creeks and rivers that you can actually see through the water it is so clear (Texas rivers and most lakes are brown), we don't have much in the way of swamps but do have lots of wetlands which are fantastic for the outdoorsman, and much more, though we could use some of those fine TX women :) I do miss that ....

IMHO

Dallas Chief
04-22-2010, 02:33 PM
I get being proud of where you are from. I'm proud to be from Independence. I'm proud to be from Kansas City. But with a few of the people we met with, it was a constant one-up game. It was a situation where they were trying to sell us pretty hard on the place, so I'm sure that was part of it. But it just got a little old.

If you don't have your heart set on living in a larger city (50k+ Population), there are numerous awesome small towns in between Austin and San Antonio. Buda, Dripping Springs, New Braunfels, Boerne, Fredrickburg, Kerrville and many others. Give them a look before you jump. All are within about 20-30 minutes of San Marcos. Good Luck!!!

rambleonthruthefog
04-22-2010, 02:40 PM
No, not crazy, just particular .....beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Lived in TX for many years and know it well, a couple years in high school, went back later got married there, went to college there and grauated from UNT in Denton, worked at Parkland Hospital, Dallas for many years, 3 kids born there, etc. .... it has all that you mention to some degree but is still exremely arid in most areas of central/west TX and incredibly humid during a 6 month long summer in east TX.

Living in really, beautiful country kind of spoils a person. The Pacific NorthWest has real mountains, real forests, and streams, creeks and rivers that you can actually see through the water it is so clear (Texas rivers and most lakes are brown), we don't have much in the way of swamps but do have lots of wetlands which are fantastic for the outdoorsman, and much more, though we could use some of those fine TX women :) I do miss that ....

IMHO

i hear ya bout real mountains and streams, etc. i hear nothin but good things bout the pacific nw. i guess your right. TX isn't the necesarily the most beautiful earth god ever created. damn tx bravodo, sorry. i will stand strong on the lake situation, and the hill country is heaven in my eyes. despite the beautiful TX woman, i married one from louisianna

Dallas Chief
04-22-2010, 02:44 PM
i hear ya bout real mountains and streams, etc. i hear nothin but good things bout the pacific nw. i guess your right. TX isn't the necesarily the most beautiful earth god ever created. damn tx bravodo, sorry. i will stand strong on the lake situation, and the hill country is heaven in my eyes. despite the beautiful TX woman, i married one from louisianna

QFT.

AustinChief
04-22-2010, 02:53 PM
San Marcos is fine as long as you think of it as basically a suburb of Austin.. There is a ton of reasonable housing in that area especially if you choose one of the outlying areas like Kyle or Wemberley. Wemberley is actually really pretty but I would recommend Kyle for ease of access. Kyle, TX is only about 7 miles from San Marcos and 12 from Austin.

Austin is an AMAZING town. TONS of nightlife, outdoor activities, decent arts scene... and a pretty stable job market.

What are your interests?

rambleonthruthefog
04-22-2010, 02:56 PM
QFT.

quoted for truth

or

quit f*ckin talking

Buehler445
04-22-2010, 02:58 PM
My perspective is that there is crappy things about every place to live. If you and Jilly have an opportunity to better yourself. do it. The rest will work itself out.

From the comments here, it sounds like a hell of a lot better town than mine.

Some people I've known have had this trait and it really annoyed the shit out of me. But like everything else, there are stupid people around that will piss you off.

Best of luck in your decision.

ChiefaRoo
04-22-2010, 03:03 PM
I live in SWest Austin. Dripping Springs is a great little town in the Hill Country that is on the move and is not over crowded. If you're looking for the traditional small town Friday night football evenings, good schools and good Supermarket etc. it's a really cool place. It's 20 miles from Austin. San Marcos is more congested and not as desireable.

If you can pick a suburb, I'd look at The Drip.

AustinChief
04-22-2010, 03:04 PM
QFT.

The Hill Country is one of the few spots in Texas that I would truly consider to be "pretty".

Here are some shots from one of my favorite swimmin holes in the area...

http://www.wimberleytourism.com/images/up/Hamilton%20pool%20couple.jpg

http://attractions.uptake.com/blog/files/2009/02/hamilton-pool-and-falls.jpg

listopencil
04-22-2010, 03:04 PM
I lived in San Marcos for a few months but it was 20+ years ago. I lived in little towns all around San Antonio. Best thing going for it in my mind is that great central Texas climate. And the women. Of course the women. If you happen to enjoy a bit of a Southern accent like I do, well...heaven.

Sully
04-22-2010, 03:07 PM
While not contractually obligated to do so, it's been strongly reccommended to us to live in San Marcos, due to the nature of her job. But we've already decided to look around in New Braunfels, and some other towns surrounding.

ChiefaRoo
04-22-2010, 03:09 PM
While not contractually obligated to do so, it's been strongly reccommended to us to live in San Marcos, due to the nature of her job. But we've already decided to look around in New Braunfels, and some other towns surrounding.

New Braunfels is a much better town than San Marcos. It's close too.

Buehler445
04-22-2010, 03:10 PM
Oh, another good thing about living in Texas is that they have no state income tax. That's a huge fucking deal.

ChiefaRoo
04-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Oh, another good thing about living in Texas is that they have no state income tax. That's a huge ****ing deal.

True, but property taxes are quite high in certain areas. Make sure you look into that ahead of buying.

wutamess
04-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Sully what are you going to do about housing situation?
Or are you currently renting in Lee's Summit?

Job paying relocation expenses?

Thinking about a move to Jax or Orlandoish area myself before fall if I can con someone into buying my house.

AustinChief
04-22-2010, 03:13 PM
I live in SWest Austin. Dripping Springs is a great little town in the Hill Country that is on the move and is not over crowded. If you're looking for the traditional small town Friday night football evenings, good schools and good Supermarket etc. it's a really cool place. It's 20 miles from Austin. San Marcos is more congested and not as desireable.

If you can pick a suburb, I'd look at The Drip.

I suggested Wimberley, but Dripping Springs is nice as well... I also like Marble Falls but that is way too far out...

dirk digler
04-22-2010, 03:17 PM
The Hill Country is one of the few spots in Texas that I would truly consider to be "pretty".

Here are some shots from one of my favorite swimmin holes in the area...

http://www.wimberleytourism.com/images/up/Hamilton%20pool%20couple.jpg

http://attractions.uptake.com/blog/files/2009/02/hamilton-pool-and-falls.jpg

Where is that at?

AustinChief
04-22-2010, 03:23 PM
Where is that at?
Hamilton Pool

Few miles outside of Austin... (for the locals.. take 71 west and turn left on Hamilton Pool Rd just past Bee Cave.. 5 or so miles down)

Sully
04-22-2010, 03:25 PM
Sully what are you going to do about housing situation?
Or are you currently renting in Lee's Summit?

Job paying relocation expenses?

Thinking about a move to Jax or Orlandoish area myself before fall if I can con someone into buying my house.

We own a house in independence. It's gonna be tough. We may have to rent down there till we sell this house.
The job is giving us relocation expenses, ut not a ton.

Sully
04-22-2010, 03:27 PM
I suggested Wimberley, but Dripping Springs is nice as well... I also like Marble Falls but that is way too far out...

We hadn't given Wimberly much thought because the people we were with said it was all Houston oil money there, so we assumed we'd be priced out.

kc rush
04-22-2010, 03:29 PM
We own a house in independence. It's gonna be tough. We may have to rent down there till we sell this house.
The job is giving us relocation expenses, ut not a ton.

If you don't get bites on your house, you can always rent it out. That is what we had to do with ours.

AustinChief
04-22-2010, 03:31 PM
Hamilton Pool

Few miles outside of Austin... (for the locals.. take 71 west and turn left on Hamilton Pool Rd just past Bee Cave.. 5 or so miles down)

VIDEO - NSFW of Jennifer Connelly swimming and the sunning topless at Hamilton Pool...

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/467352/jennifer_connelly_the_hot_spot/

(disclaimer: pool does not always come with Jennifer Connelly as featured here)

AustinChief
04-22-2010, 03:33 PM
We hadn't given Wimberly much thought because the people we were with said it was all Houston oil money there, so we assumed we'd be priced out.

I'm not sure ... that may be the case now, a few years back it was a decent mix... but worth checkin out at least. Otherwise Kyle and Buda are both good choices and super convenient... I would stick to north for convenience or west for beauty... east is crap and south is closer to San Antonio which is blah.

Rudy lost the toss
04-22-2010, 03:35 PM
I live here for school. It's not bad. New Braunfels/Canyon Lake area is nice and of course Austin/SA. The bars recently changed to stay open until 2am...so that's nice.

Sully
04-22-2010, 03:35 PM
I'm not sure ... that may be the case now, a few years back it was a decent mix... but worth checkin out at least. Otherwise Kyle and Buda are both good choices and super convenient... I would stick to north for convenience or west for beauty... east is crap and south is closer to San Antonio which is blah.

I think, other than New Braunfels, that was our frame of mind. We flew in and out of Austin, so we saw the highwY view of most of those places.

wutamess
04-22-2010, 03:38 PM
If you don't get bites on your house, you can always rent it out. That is what we had to do with ours.

Do you hire a mgmt company to run it for you or are you in the same town?

rambleonthruthefog
04-22-2010, 03:39 PM
my inlaws are thinkin of movin here. i tell somewhere between newbraunfels and dripping springs. i recommend staying west of I35 as well. the lake s. of hancock is canyon lake

http://nerddog.com/assets/images/autogen/a_hill_country_map.jpg

ChiefaRoo
04-22-2010, 03:42 PM

Wimberley is a little too country for me but I had a positive impression when I was there.

kc rush
04-22-2010, 03:43 PM
Do you hire a mgmt company to run it for you or are you in the same town?

A management company. They did all of the screening and are on hand to take care of any property emergencies since we are 3 hours away.

wutamess
04-22-2010, 03:44 PM
They located in K.C. and how much do they charge?

Sully
04-22-2010, 03:46 PM
A management company. They did all of the screening and are on hand to take care of any property emergencies since we are 3 hours away.

Do you break even on that?
What happens if a tenant doesn't pay?
Had any big problems?
How do you find a management co.? (I wouldn't even know where to look in the yellow pages)

kc rush
04-22-2010, 03:49 PM
They located in K.C. and how much do they charge?

They are located in Olathe, and I know they serve JOCO. Not sure if they do anything on the MO side. They take a percentage of the rent each month for their fees. If you want I can PM the info later.

Even if they doesn't operate in MO, they may know someone. We found them through our realtor when we were discussing sales options on our house a couple of years ago.

ClevelandBronco
04-22-2010, 03:50 PM
Hamilton Pool

To hell with that. When are you going to publish your catalog of shots from Hippie Hollow?

kc rush
04-22-2010, 03:53 PM
Do you break even on that?
What happens if a tenant doesn't pay?
Had any big problems?
How do you find a management co.? (I wouldn't even know where to look in the yellow pages)

We are pretty well breaking even, and will continue to evaluate the market to determine if we should sell at some point.

The company has a deposit so we will get that money while searching for a new tenant, but we haven't had to deal with that. They did a thorough screening of all applicants to make sure we didn't get any problem renters.

Found them through our realtor, but we did do a search online to compare different companies. The company we are with was the most reasonable.

Deberg_1990
04-22-2010, 04:27 PM
San Marcos is fine as long as you think of it as basically a suburb of Austin.. There is a ton of reasonable housing in that area especially if you choose one of the outlying areas like Kyle or Wemberley. Wemberley is actually really pretty but I would recommend Kyle for ease of access. Kyle, TX is only about 7 miles from San Marcos and 12 from Austin.

Austin is an AMAZING town. TONS of nightlife, outdoor activities, decent arts scene... and a pretty stable job market.

What are your interests?

Kyle, TX. has really grown with that Cabela's that went in there.

AustinChief
04-22-2010, 04:30 PM
Kyle has really grown with that Cabela's that went in there.
Can we change this to KYLE, TX .. just sounds wrong otherwise...

vailpass
04-22-2010, 04:32 PM
To hell with that. When are you going to publish your catalog of shots from Hippie Hollow?

Dude. I've been to Hippie Hollow. Most of what I saw there I would not want to reproduce in picture form or any other form.

patteeu
04-22-2010, 05:11 PM
Dude. I've been to Hippie Hollow. Most of what I saw there I would not want to reproduce in picture form or any other form.

LOL Ditto

AustinChief
04-22-2010, 05:16 PM
so very true. yuck.

ClevelandBronco
04-22-2010, 05:19 PM
Gentlemen. The key is not to look at most of it.

AustinChief
04-22-2010, 05:20 PM
Gentlemen. The key is not to look at most of it.
the KEY is to get a boat and go to Devil's Cove and see HOT YOUNG topless coeds

ClevelandBronco
04-22-2010, 05:22 PM

Oh. I was on a boat. I wonder where I was.

I wondered where I was a lot in those days.

Buehler445
04-22-2010, 05:23 PM
Kyle, TX. has really grown with that Cabela's that went in there.

Cabela's is in Buda. Not that I care about any of it, but just as an FYI.

Deberg_1990
04-22-2010, 05:27 PM
Cabela's is in Buda. Not that I care about any of it, but just as an FYI.

Arnt they right next to each other? Whats the difference? :)

vailpass
04-22-2010, 05:32 PM

The other key is to go to Lake Havasu if you aren't able to utilize the first key which is apparently Devil's Cove.

Jilly
04-23-2010, 04:57 PM
Sully makes it sounds so happy, you silly worrier!

Fact is...it's an AWESOME opportunity for me and since Sully isn't finding a teaching position in this area, seems good as time as any to make a move! I'm super excited about the position, the pay, and the possibilities! And being the nature lover I am, I'm really excited about showing my daughter how beautiful the world is, even if it is Texas! Whatever happens, we'll make it through!

Sully
05-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Well...

It's officially official.
We'll be moving to San Marcos in two months.

Anyone need to buy a decent house in Independence?

OnTheWarpath58
05-12-2010, 11:44 AM
Well...

It's officially official.
We'll be moving to San Marcos in two months.

Anyone need to buy a decent house in Independence?

Good luck to you guys.

Sully
05-12-2010, 11:55 AM
THanks.

It's been a long, exhausting process.
Now, the next two months are going to be a short exhausting process.

Lumpy
05-12-2010, 12:04 PM
That's quite a haul. Best of luck to you, Jilly, and your little one!

Manila-Chief
05-12-2010, 01:04 PM
Sully makes it sounds so happy, you silly worrier!

Fact is...it's an AWESOME opportunity for me and since Sully isn't finding a teaching position in this area, seems good as time as any to make a move! I'm super excited about the position, the pay, and the possibilities! And being the nature lover I am, I'm really excited about showing my daughter how beautiful the world is, even if it is Texas! Whatever happens, we'll make it through!

Congrats!!! I rejoice with you!!!

Are you going to be the Sr. Pastor? From what I've read here, it sounds like ou are going to a growing area, which will help in building a church.

It makes me excited just reading this. You'll do a great job.

And with the influence of the people around you, maybe Sully will have the opportunity to be featured every Friday night. :) :clap:

Blessings!!!

Manila-Chief
05-12-2010, 01:07 PM
I could joke about going to extremes to solve the problem with a neighbor. :D

God works in mysterious ways!!!

Sully
05-12-2010, 01:13 PM
She was voted in on Sunday with over 98% voting for her. It was very cool.

As far as me on Friday nights, I've got a funny story (also embarrassing).

I'm already working hard to find a teaching and coaching job.
A couple of weeks ago, I look up San Marcos HS, and email the HC and let him know I'm interested in coaching. A couple of days later, I hear from him, he gives me his number, and says he's interested. So I call the guy and have a pretty good convo with him, and it is looking really good. We set up a time to meet, and get off the phone.

I get online the next day to research the team (find out if they are a running or passing team, record, etc). As I look at their schedule, I begin to notice something weird.

...and it dawns on me...

This is San Marcos HS in San Diego, Ca.

Ugggh.

Hydrae
05-12-2010, 01:15 PM
She was voted in on Sunday with over 98% voting for her. It was very cool.

As far as me on Friday nights, I've got a funny story (also embarrassing).

I'm already working hard to find a teaching and coaching job.
A couple of weeks ago, I look up San Marcos HS, and email the HC and let him know I'm interested in coaching. A couple of days later, I hear from him, he gives me his number, and says he's interested. So I call the guy and have a pretty good convo with him, and it is looking really good. We set up a time to meet, and get off the phone.

I get online the next day to research the team (find out if they are a running or passing team, record, etc). As I look at their schedule, I begin to notice something weird.

...and it dawns on me...

This is San Marcos HS in San Diego, Ca.

Ugggh.

hehe, oops.

Welcome to the neighborhood when you get down here. I am north of Austin but I must say that if you have to move to Texas, this is probably the best part of it.

Manila-Chief
05-12-2010, 01:17 PM
WOW!!! That's a very strong vote!!! But, I'm not surprised!!!

"This is San Marcos HS in San Diego, Ca." ROFLROFL

That would be a rather long commute. :D

Sully
05-12-2010, 01:18 PM
hehe, oops.

Welcome to the neighborhood when you get down here. I am north of Austin but I must say that if you have to move to Texas, this is probably the best part of it.

How far away is Leander Hs? I've got a friend of a friend that has a possible coahing spot there for me.

Hydrae
05-12-2010, 01:19 PM
How far away is Leander Hs? I've got a friend of a friend that has a possible coahing spot there for me.

60 miles and through Austin traffic. Probably not a good fit. Good program though!

It is a small world, Leander is where I live. :)

RJ
05-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Beautiful part of the country, even if their bbq is way overrated.

I liked living in that area. Decent climate (if you don't mind humidity), friendly people and just a couple of hours from the gulf.

Best of luck to the three of you!

Sully
05-12-2010, 01:22 PM
60 miles and through Austin traffic. Probably not a good fit. Good program though!

It is a small world, Leander is where I live. :)

I was thinking it was probably too far. Thanks.

AustinChief
05-12-2010, 01:23 PM

Leander is pretty dang far, WAY northside of Austin. Have you looked at Schools in Wimberley, Kyle and Buda? You could be a Lehman High Lobo!

kc rush
05-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Good luck to you guys.

Jilly
05-12-2010, 01:26 PM
Thanks everyone! I am so excited about what's coming! So nervous about all the loose ends here, but I'm called to this church and know it's exactly where I'm supposed to be! Super sad about my daughter probably having a texas accent, but hey, the good with the bad, right?!

Sully
05-12-2010, 01:26 PM
Beautiful part of the country, even if their bbq is way overrated.

I liked living in that area. Decent climate (if you don't mind humidity), friendly people and just a couple of hours from the gulf.

Best of luck to the three of you!

A lot of my negative feelings toward the place were assuaged this weekend. It's close enough to two big cities that it won't be a problem to drive either place for a nice date night or night out. We drove to the River Walk in San Antonio Sunday night for Mother's Day and it was nothing, especially with the way everyone speeds down there.

AustinChief
05-12-2010, 01:30 PM
Leander is pretty dang far, WAY northside of Austin. Have you looked at Schools in Wimberley, Kyle and Buda? You could be a Lehman High Lobo!
Or a Hays Rebel or Bowie Bulldog!

Deberg_1990
05-12-2010, 01:31 PM
especially with the way everyone speeds down there.

heh.......id you do the speed limit down here, you get run off the road. :)

patteeu
05-12-2010, 01:31 PM
Thanks everyone! I am so excited about what's coming! So nervous about all the loose ends here, but I'm called to this church and know it's exactly where I'm supposed to be! Super sad about my daughter probably having a texas accent, but hey, the good with the bad, right?!

Someone should save these anti-Texas insinuations and show them to you 5 or 10 years from now after you've come to consider yourself a Texan. It's practically inevitable.

Jilly
05-12-2010, 01:32 PM
so how many texas planeteers are there?

Sully
05-12-2010, 01:32 PM
Or a Hays Rebel or Bowie Bulldog!

Already dipping my toes in those waters.
A lot of good ol' boys at the church making contacts for me, too.

Jilly
05-12-2010, 01:33 PM
Someone should save these anti-Texas insinuations and show them to you 5 or 10 years from now after you've come to consider yourself a Texan. It's practically inevitable.

Dude, I lived in Texas already for 8 years, I'm sure I will love the state, but KC will always be home. And, since you only see what I type and never hear me....I, myself, speak with an accent when it slips back in from time to time.

Sully
05-12-2010, 01:35 PM
heh.......id you do the speed limit down here, you get run off the road. :)

I caught on pretty quickly.
Even on the frontage roads trying to figure out the U-turn situation, I got a ton of nasty looks for being a touristy driver.

RJ
05-12-2010, 01:37 PM
especially with the way everyone speeds down there.

That's the damn truth. If you're doing 75 you better move to the slow lane.

Deberg_1990
05-12-2010, 01:39 PM
I caught on pretty quickly.
Even on the frontage roads trying to figure out the U-turn situation, I got a ton of nasty looks for being a touristy driver.

oh, you better buy a truck with a lift or a Suburban/Big SUV to fit in down here. :)

patteeu
05-12-2010, 01:41 PM
Dude, I lived in Texas already for 8 years, I'm sure I will love the state, but KC will always be home. And, since you only see what I type and never hear me....I, myself, speak with an accent when it slips back in from time to time.

Oh, OK. Do you really think it will be bad that your daughter ends up talking like a Texan girl or were you just saying that for effect?

Sully
05-12-2010, 01:44 PM
oh, you better buy a truck with a lift or a Suburban/Big SUV to fit in down here. :)

I've got a newer avg sized SUV. But it will be tons better than the rentals I've been driving.

Jilly
05-12-2010, 01:44 PM
Oh, OK. Do you really think it will be bad that your daughter ends up talking like a Texan girl or were you just saying that for effect?

I'm not a fan of it, just cuz I know that it can give people a wrong impression of intelligence, but it's no deal breaker. I'm sure she'll be smart enough that no accent would mask it.

Rain Man
05-12-2010, 01:49 PM
I'm pretty sure that my first-ever meal as a married man was in San Marcos. My wife and I got married in Austin and headed to San Antonio for our honeymoon, and we stopped and had lunch at a Sirloin Stockade restaurant along the highway. Pretty sure it was in San Marcos.

Archie F. Swin
05-12-2010, 09:55 PM
so how many texas planeteers are there?

that's Texas, with a capital 'T'

patteeu
05-12-2010, 11:53 PM
that's Texas, with a capital 'T'

LMAO

I think there are quite a few. And even more who once called Texas their home. I love Kansas City, but if it weren't for family, I'd rather be in Texas.

Jilly
05-17-2010, 11:45 AM
Congrats!!! I rejoice with you!!!

Are you going to be the Sr. Pastor? From what I've read here, it sounds like ou are going to a growing area, which will help in building a church.

It makes me excited just reading this. You'll do a great job.

And with the influence of the people around you, maybe Sully will have the opportunity to be featured every Friday night. :) :clap:

Blessings!!!

Thank you so much! And yes, the sr. pastor. It's so amazing and I'm so excited about what's in store! LOVE the church and the people! But thank you for the blessings, it means a lot!

Sully
11-10-2010, 09:28 AM
So we've been here since mid-July.
Things couldn't be much better. Jilly's job is amazing. She is happier than I've ever seen her, and comes home from work so energized. I didn't get a teaching/coaching job, so have been Mr Mom every day, which is tough at times, but I think it's been a great situation for our two year-old. Moving her away from her family and then dropping her into daycare every day Would've been rough.
The peopl down here are amazing. Very nice, welcoming, etc. People from the church, knowing how hard it was for us to leave our very tight-knit extended family, have been amazing at welcoming us into their lives.
I've been to two Chiefs games, and will be at, at least, two more... Which is about half what my STs afforded me, but I still have them, and it's nice to have them to fall back on when I drive back.
I was concerned about living in a smaller town, but really, everything we need is right here, and when we get a sitter, a drive to Austin for a date or movie is easy.

patteeu
11-10-2010, 09:38 AM
Like everything else, small towns are bigger in Texas. Glad to hear you guys are happy with your new locale.

Deberg_1990
11-10-2010, 10:19 AM
So we've been here since mid-July.
Things couldn't be much better. Jilly's job is amazing. She is happier than I've ever seen her, and comes home from work so energized. I didn't get a teaching/coaching job, so have been Mr Mom every day, which is tough at times, but I think it's been a great situation for our two year-old. Moving her away from her family and then dropping her into daycare every day Would've been rough.
The peopl down here are amazing. Very nice, welcoming, etc. People from the church, knowing how hard it was for us to leave our very tight-knit extended family, have been amazing at welcoming us into their lives.
I've been to two Chiefs games, and will be at, at least, two more... Which is about half what my STs afforded me, but I still have them, and it's nice to have them to fall back on when I drive back.
I was concerned about living in a smaller town, but really, everything we need is right here, and when we get a sitter, a drive to Austin for a date or movie is easy.

Thats great Sully! Glad to hear it. Oh, and enjoy the weather for the next 4 months while Missourians freeze their butts off. : )