PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gil Brandt weighs in on KC

Chiefnj2
04-22-2010, 12:22 PM
Gil was the first to break the Tyson Jackson news last year which resulted in lots of "what does he know, he's senile" posts. That was, until, every other analyst also joined the fray and T. Jax it is.

So, what does Gil think this year?

Gil Brandt, NFL.com
Josh, I think they've let it be known they like Eric Berry -- but I do think it's a smokescreen to maybe move down and get an extra choice. I do look for them to move down a little and still get an offensive lineman.

Commence the hate.

Marco Polo
04-22-2010, 12:24 PM
*sigh* I've accepted the fact that I will probably be disappointed. People hoping for Berry and Claussen (trade up at the end of the first round) is probably going to be disappointed as well, and I'd love for that to happen.

KCrockaholic
04-22-2010, 12:25 PM
This is what I expect....I know Philly really wants Berry....I think they could be our trade partner and we will pick up 2 extra 2nd round picks.

BigChiefFan
04-22-2010, 12:26 PM
Fuck being cheap, it's gotten us 40 years of futility.

Bowser
04-22-2010, 12:26 PM
Well, yes the Chiefs want to trade down. Every team in the top ten wants to trade down due to the cash they're going to have to fork over to those rookies. Speculation is that Bradford, if taken first overall, is going to receive 50 million in guarantees. No team wants to deal with that.

All that aside, it just makes too much sense to take Berry at 5.

Chiefnj2
04-22-2010, 12:27 PM
I found it interesting that all of a sudden all these "sources" say Berry. It does seem like it was perhaps a purposeful leak.

threebag02
04-22-2010, 12:27 PM
Trade down and then take tebow in the first.

Chiefs memorabilia for sale.....

sedated
04-22-2010, 12:28 PM
4 second round picks doesn't sound bad.

the Talking Can
04-22-2010, 12:28 PM
why not...it's what a joke of a franchise would do to please its saccofbats fanbase

SenselessChiefsFan
04-22-2010, 12:30 PM
why not...it's what a joke of a franchise would do to please its saccofbats fanbase

IF they trade down, they can always trade up into the middle of the first.

The Bad Guy
04-22-2010, 12:30 PM
Gil Brandt gets a whole lot of love for being similar to a senile grandfather sitting on the front porch talking about things that have nothing to do with what you asked.

Yeah, he said about Tyson last year. He can call it a smokescreen that the Chiefs sent their DC to run his pro day, that they have their top corner working out with him, that they met with him 3 times at the combine and that he visited with them first before anyone else.

If that's a smokescreen, then grandpa has a new definition.

AndChiefs
04-22-2010, 12:31 PM
Just take Berry.

Chiefnj2
04-22-2010, 12:33 PM
Gil Brandt gets a whole lot of love for being similar to a senile grandfather sitting on the front porch talking about things that have nothing to do with what you asked.

Yeah, he said about Tyson last year. He can call it a smokescreen that the Chiefs sent their DC to run his pro day, that they have their top corner working out with him, that they met with him 3 times at the combine and that he visited with them first before anyone else.

But why are all the sources coming out with Berry at the last minute? KC knows there are tons of rumors about: (A) Cleveland and/or Philly wanting to move up, and (b) Washington wanting more picks to move down. All "KC wants Berry" does is increase the likelihood that Cleveland or Philly try to make a move.

Messier
04-22-2010, 12:34 PM
Isn't kind of hard to trade out of the top five? It's not just a one team decision. Chiefs want to trade down? That's all well and good, probably won't happen though.

FAX
04-22-2010, 12:34 PM
Well, yes the Chiefs want to trade down. Every team in the top ten wants to trade down due to the cash they're going to have to fork over to those rookies. Speculation is that Bradford, if taken first overall, is going to receive 50 million in guarantees. No team wants to deal with that.

All that aside, it just makes too much sense to take Berry at 5.

I would like to add my yep to all these points.

Plus, we are faced with the unfortunate fact that we have holes all over the damn place and need solid role players at almost every position ... if for no other reason than to increase the quality of competition across the board.

Trading down makes more sense for the Chiefs than any other strategy.

Sadly.

FAX

Chiefnj2
04-22-2010, 12:35 PM
Isn't kind of hard to trade out of the top five? It's not just a one team decision. Chiefs want to trade down? That's all well and good, probably won't happen though.

I think it is easier to do this year because of the Sanchez trade last year. The Browns got horrible value.

StcChief
04-22-2010, 12:37 PM
I've thought we would trade down all along.

FAX
04-22-2010, 12:43 PM

Yeah. It just makes too much sense. Pioli seems to fancy himself a trader, we need more than one or two playmakers to "finish" the club, our needs are more along the lines of solid, dependable, role players, and we are unlikely to want to pay top five money at this stage.

Damn it.

On the other hand, one has to wonder how ticket sales would be affected if we were to bring a potential star on board ...

FAX

Mr. Kotter
04-22-2010, 12:46 PM

Me too. However, they wanted to trade down last year. It looks as though there is better potential for partners who may want to trade up this year, but between the top 5 money paid out....and the risks involved, trading down isn't a lock.

I'd love to see us add another pick this year, but the stars would have to align...

dallaschiefsfan
04-22-2010, 12:50 PM
What on earth kind of value would you need to get from Phily for that trade? That's quite a distance that would need to be bridged...and I would think we would want to have the ammunition to move back into the teens, right? Doesn't seem likely to me, even if we bend on value.

boogblaster
04-22-2010, 12:52 PM
Take the best player available ...

Detoxing
04-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Take the best player available ...

+1.

That's how you become a good team. You need stars. Not at every position, but you need at least one or two in every division of the defense and offense.

You need a star or two in the secondary to make QB's think twice about throwing it up all the time. To keep them honest. You need a star or two at LB so the O-line has to actually make adjustments when we blitz. So that the Coordinator has to actually scheme around playing our D opposed to what teams do now, which is line up and dictate to us what they want to do.

You need a star WR. A competent, stud QB. A solid O-Line. Not full of stars, just solid. And a Solid HB. If you get a star at HB, even better.

Then, you start adding role players to strengthen your team. If you build a team full of role players, then you wont have anyone who can take over a game. No one that teams have to game plan around. No one who can alter the course of a game and swing momentum.

You'll have a perenial 8-8 team.

Adding Berry gives us TWO playmakers in the secondary and we already have role players in Carr and Page

the Talking Can
04-22-2010, 01:03 PM
IF they trade down, they can always trade up into the middle of the first.

or...stay with me, this is kind of crazy....get ready...

they could just draft Berry

FAX
04-22-2010, 01:09 PM
You know, this discussion fosters some wonderment on my part ... why are we getting our ass kicked week in / week out?

Is it mostly because we are being out-muscled (we're not strong enough)? Is it mostly because we're undisciplined and unprepared? Is it mostly because we're slower than the enemy? Is it mostly because our game plan(s) suck?

I guess I'm wondering what factor is the primary reason why our team gets its ass handed to it with regularity ... I know there are many, but which one is the most obvious or, perhaps, fixable?

FAX

Detoxing
04-22-2010, 01:10 PM
We have 2 2nd rnders already and 3 5ths.

fuck man, at what point do you stop collecting picks and just draft some good goddamn players?

This whole trading down thing is getting out of hand.

niblet
04-22-2010, 01:12 PM
Trade everything down for the entire 7th round, I say.

Detoxing
04-22-2010, 01:12 PM
You know, this discussion fosters some wonderment on my part ... why are we getting our ass kicked week in / week out?

Is it mostly because we are being out-muscled (we're not strong enough)? Is it mostly because we're undisciplined and unprepared? Is it mostly because we're slower than the enemy? Is it mostly because our game plan(s) suck?

I guess I'm wondering what factor is the primary reason why our team gets its ass handed to it with regularity ... I know there are many, but which one is the most obvious or, perhaps, fixable?

FAX

I think you have answered your own question Mr. Fax.

We are SLOW. Our D is SLOW. Our WR's are SLOW. The Chiefs have a slow team right now. Thanks to good ol ass-wipe Herm. Granted, I dont think we are as slow as we were under Herm, but damn...we're still a slow squad.

alanm
04-22-2010, 01:28 PM
Isn't kind of hard to trade out of the top five? It's not just a one team decision. Chiefs want to trade down? That's all well and good, probably won't happen though.Didn't they try to trade down last year but had no takers? No one wants to fork over the $$ for a top 5 pick. Top 10 for that matter either.

HemiEd
04-22-2010, 01:50 PM

FAX

Mr. Fax, I think it is some of, all of the above. The team drafted between 15 and 25 for two decades, so the star players were few and far between.

The team gets a playmaker, so they trade him instead of paying him. They have another playmaker developing (Dorsey) and the rumors are rampant they may want to trade him.

They haven't had a decent DC since "the Jaw" and have continually thrown draft picks away by coaching them down.

Then they finally hit the lottery, and get three consecutive top 5 picks in a row, and they don't and won't take a QB. They are content to throw huge money at a journeyman QB, because they can not admit they failed.

The rumors run rampant that they want out of the #5 pick to get later picks. More average players are available there.

Pretty simple stuff to me, it is the definition of mediocrity.

Mecca
04-22-2010, 01:52 PM
I don't think Gil Brandt really said this, where is the nonsensical story about the guys brothers cousins former roommate going fishing with the president in 1963's cousins boyfriend?

keg in kc
04-22-2010, 01:55 PM
The talk about the Redskins wanting Berry reads like a smokescreen to me.

KCrockaholic
04-22-2010, 01:56 PM
The talk about the Redskins wanting Berry reads like a smokescreen to me.

Lets hope so.

notorious
04-22-2010, 02:18 PM
Trade down and then take tebow in the first.

Chiefs nightmarabilia for sale.....

FYP

FAX
04-22-2010, 02:21 PM
Mr. Fax, I think it is some of, all of the above. The team drafted between 15 and 25 for two decades, so the star players were few and far between.

The team gets a playmaker, so they trade him instead of paying him. They have another playmaker developing (Dorsey) and the rumors are rampant they may want to trade him.

They haven't had a decent DC since "the Jaw" and have continually thrown draft picks away by coaching them down.

Then they finally hit the lottery, and get three consecutive top 5 picks in a row, and they don't and won't take a QB. They are content to throw huge money at a journeyman QB, because they can not admit they failed.

The rumors run rampant that they want out of the #5 pick to get later picks. More average players are available there.

Pretty simple stuff to me, it is the definition of mediocrity.

I agree with all of this, Mr. HemiEd. Your football takes are always solid and well informed. Clearly, we have an horrid draft record over the last two decades (regardless of our pick position). The NFL careers of our draftees bear out the fact. On top of that, we have failed (for reasons I still cannot fully comprehend) to develop young players properly ... or, at least, comparable to what many other teams seem to be able to do.

We field mediocre players. True enough. But my question has more to do with performance regardless of the root cause. What I mean is this ... is our suck on Sunday after Sunday primarily due to overall lack of team speed as Mr. Detoxing states? Or are we simply not as strong (say, on the lines) as our enemy? Or, are we undisciplined or unprepared mentally?

I'm thinking that you don't lose game after game after game without some fundamental problem on your squad. Some dramatic weakness that gives the enemy a clear advantage that exists before the first whistle or snap. Yes, we have mediocre players ... but what specific aspect of their play represents that disadvantage. You know?

FAX

RJ
04-22-2010, 02:39 PM

Maybe Scott Pioli is a double naught spy.

Primetime
04-22-2010, 02:43 PM
Gil was the first to break the Tyson Jackson news last year which resulted in lots of "what does he know, he's senile" posts. That was, until, every other analyst also joined the fray and T. Jax it is.

I believe Michael Lombardi of National Football Post came out w/ that report on April 19th last year. I checked and don't see anything from Gil Brandt before that.

Tribal Warfare
04-22-2010, 02:58 PM
I believe Michael Lombardi of National Football Post came out w/ that report on April 19th last year. I checked and don't see anything from Gil Brandt before that.

It was Brandt then everyone else followed suit

Chiefnj2
04-22-2010, 02:59 PM

I believe Brandt first talked about it on Sirius radio. He said Jackson was definitely going to go in the top 5. Later in the day he said the team would be KC.

ROYC75
04-22-2010, 03:03 PM
Sad but true, I almost don't care who they take, Carl will find a reason to under pay him and keep him out of camp !;):harumph::doh!::D

Ari Chi3fs
04-22-2010, 03:07 PM
If we take Berry, I will buy a Berry jersey. If we take anyone else. I will punch myself in the face.

Brock
04-22-2010, 03:12 PM
Since Clausen is off the board as far as anyone knows, I'm okay with any of these

Berry
Spiller
Bryant

pretty much in that order.

KCrockaholic
04-22-2010, 03:13 PM
If we take Berry, I will buy a Berry jersey. If we take anyone else. I will punch myself in the face.

ROFL This. Same here.

KCrockaholic
04-22-2010, 03:14 PM
Since Clausen is off the board as far as anyone knows, I'm okay with any of these

Berry
Spiller
Bryant

pretty much in that order.

But...Those are all playmakers...Where is the LT? Or RG?

CoMoChief
04-22-2010, 03:14 PM
Fuck it......we're taking Tebow

CosmicPal
04-22-2010, 03:15 PM
If we take anyone else. I will punch myself in the face.

Prove it by putting it up on YouTube and posting it here 'cause there's a chance that Berry may not be available or that the Chiefs do trade down.

Chiefnj2
04-22-2010, 03:29 PM
Very, very happy - Bradford or Berry.
Very happy - Bryant, Thomas.
Happy - Spiller, Williams, Clausen, Wilson, Graham, Hughes.
Cool - Trent, Okung, Haden.

threebag02
04-22-2010, 05:52 PM
For those that going to punch themselves in the face... Can we get fist packs please.