PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Rate the AFCW Round 1 Picks....

Ugly Duck
04-22-2010, 10:12 PM
Chiefs: Often compared to Baltimore's Edward Reed and Denver's Brian Dawkins, Berry is the type of player a team can build a defense around.
He can play any position in the secondary, is a willing participant on special team coverage, can handle return duties and showed in 2008 that he can be a pretty effective receiver and running back in a pinch. A National Honor Society member who graduated with a 3.75 grade point average.

Raiders: The Butkus Award winner, McClain was the best defender on the nationís top defensive team and a big reason why Alabama gave up only 68.2 yards per game on the ground. Not only can McClain tackle, but heís a first-to-the-ball defender in part because of instinct, and also because he has been described by some as having the top football IQ of any player in the entire draft. The Raiders need a talented film junkie planted right in the middle of their defense.

Chargers: Matthews is a powerful downhill runner with above-average balance and the competitive nature to constantly fight for extra yards. While there are concerns about his ability to contribute as receiver early in his career and he has to refine his pass blocking, Fresno State didn't ask much of him in either area. We think he will improve in both areas as he gains experience.

Broncos: On an offense known for its dominant rushing attack, Thomas' ability to stretch the field as a deep target kept defenses at bay. With his unique combination of size, body control and speed, scouts are hopeful that he'll continue the trend in the NFL....

This is a stretch. Tebow is a long way from developing into a functional NFL quarterback, and he might never become that. We have concerns about his footwork and elongated delivery, and his struggles at the Senior Bowl only magnified those issues. He has re-worked his delivery, but has only had a few weeks to make those changes. However, he brings intangibles that set him apart from almost any other player in this draft, and if he doesn't work out as a quarterback he showed at the combine that he has enough athleticism, determination and toughness to become an H-back

ChiefsCountry
04-22-2010, 10:14 PM
Chiefs - A+
Chargers - B+
Raiders - C+
Donks - F

CupidStunt
04-22-2010, 10:14 PM
Chiefs A
Raiders D (personally not a fan of McClain at all, especially in a 4-3)
Broncos D-
Chargers F

Bane
04-22-2010, 10:15 PM
Chiefs A+ Tebows Blood on the cross
Raiders C-
Chargers D-
Donks.EPIC SUCKAGE!!!!!!!

AZChief
04-22-2010, 10:17 PM
chiefs: a
raiders: b+
chargers: c
donx: f

FAX
04-22-2010, 10:21 PM
Isn't McClain (sp?) the kid with Crohn's? If so, there's risk associated with him ... quite a bit of risk, in fact. I can tell you from first-hand, personal experience that there's no way to know if or when Crohn's will flare and/or re-occur in different areas of the GI tract. No doctor in the world can give you assurances that a person with Crohn's can perform any task at any given point in time. No way.

FAX

Reaper16
04-22-2010, 10:24 PM
Chiefs - A (elite player. 'nuff said.)
Raiders - B- (Potentially good player but more of a 3-4 fit. Need was at other positions)
Chargers - C- (Good player for them but the trade up seemed excessive)
Broncos - F (I mean, c'mon. Really? Really?)

mcaj22
04-22-2010, 10:26 PM
Since apparently the Raiders hate Kirk Morrison so much by saying they think a kid with Crohns can match his 498 tackles in 5 seasons than I would have no shame seeing Morrison in a Chiefs uniform.

orange
04-22-2010, 10:28 PM
You missed one:

Broncos: On an offense known for its dominant rushing attack, Thomas' ability to stretch the field as a deep target kept defenses at bay. With his unique combination of size, body control and speed, scouts are hopeful that he'll continue the trend in the NFL....

Ugly Duck
04-22-2010, 10:29 PM
Isn't McClain (sp?) the kid with Crohn's?

I don't know any more... sez he doesn't but sez his tests are positive (?)

Apr 18, 3:20 pm EDT

First, Alabama middle linebacker Rolando McClain said he has suffered from Crohn’s disease since his freshman year of high school.

And now McClain said doctors have informed him that he doesn’t have the disease.

McClain is a projected first-round draft pick.

"In all my talks with my doctors in the past two weeks, with all the tests we’ve done, they don’t even feel I have Crohn’s disease," McClain told the Birmingham News. "There’s no way to really tell. The tests came out good and positive. Every team knows it’s not going to affect me at all."

Was the first diagnosis off the mark?

"I have no idea," McClain said. "All I can say is, the doctor who diagnosed this (now), it’s his job to diagnose it. All I can do is go by his rules. I don’t have any signs of it right now."

P.S. Thanx Orange... I added it...

BryanBusby
04-22-2010, 10:30 PM
Isn't McClain (sp?) the kid with Crohn's? If so, there's risk associated with him ... quite a bit of risk, in fact. I can tell you from first-hand, personal experience that there's no way to know if or when Crohn's will flare and/or re-occur in different areas of the GI tract. No doctor in the world can give you assurances that a person with Crohn's can perform any task at any given point in time. No way.

FAX

I think he came out later and said, "LOL J/K NEVR HAD IT GUYZ"

I'm not sure if I'm as high on McClain being in a 4-3 scheme, but he's still the best selection they've made since Nnamdi. A surprising pick, a little bit of a reach, but they could of done a hell lot worse.

I'd give the Raiders a flat B.

Rest of the division:
Chiefs- A
Chargers- C (Not a bad selection, the trade was fucking stupid though.)
Broncos- F (Ahahahahaha McDaniels is a plant by Belichick to troll the Denver fanbase)

FAX
04-22-2010, 10:34 PM
Crohn's is sneaky stuff, Mr. Ugly Duck. Just sayin'.

It comes and goes and it's difficult to diagnose. Not to belabor the point, but I had a CT scan that was negative and two months later one that was positive. It doesn't go away and when it turns on you, your ass can become grass in a hurry. For his sake, I hope he's okay. But, I'm telling you that, if he had it once, he'll always have it.

For that reason alone, I'd rate the pick as a C. No higher.

FAX

Count Zarth
04-22-2010, 10:36 PM
Chiefs - A - HOF 2030

Raiders - D - total reach

Chargers - C - gave up too much

Broncos - X - lol

-King-
04-22-2010, 10:39 PM
Crohn's is sneaky stuff, Mr. Ugly Duck. Just sayin'.

It comes and goes and it's difficult to diagnose. Not to belabor the point, but I had a CT scan that was negative and two months later one that was positive. It doesn't go away and when it turns on you, your ass can become grass in a hurry. For his sake, I hope he's okay. But, I'm telling you that, if he had it once, he'll always have it.

For that reason alone, I'd rate the pick as a C. No higher.

FAX

He cleared it up last week. He doesn't have Crohns
Posted via Mobile Device

Ugly Duck
04-22-2010, 10:41 PM
Raiders - D - total reach

Total, eh?

"ESPN draft expert Mel Kiper Jr. has Alabama linebacker Rolando McClain at No. 8 on his latest big board"

Direckshun
04-22-2010, 10:43 PM
Chiefs: A
Chargers: C+
Raiders: F
Broncos: F

Miles
04-22-2010, 10:46 PM
Total, eh?

"ESPN draft expert Mel Kiper Jr. has Alabama linebacker Rolando McClain at No. 8 on his latest big board"

Maybe a bit of a reach but not that far off. A very un-Raiders like pick given recent history. I thought it was a fairly solid one considering man were thinking Al would go with Bruce Campbell because he was the combine freak this year.

Buck
04-22-2010, 10:49 PM
Technically we received more draft points than we gave up.

I love Matthews and thats who I wanted.

I would give them an A had they got him at #28, but since they lost their 2nd round pick, I am giving them a B-. That will change into an A if we somehow get into the 2nd round and pick up a DT or OT.

Chiefs: A (cant really not give them an A because they picked the best player available).

Raiders: B-. I think they could have traded down a few spots and grabbed McClain

Broncos: D, they gave up a bunch that they worked to get for Tebow and they moved up like what, 2 spots? Also I dont really like their WR.

vailpass
04-22-2010, 10:50 PM
You guys are funny.

WildTurkey
04-22-2010, 10:52 PM
Total, eh?

I was shocked at the McClain pick I figured it would be a far worse pick ... he's a good player.... figured him for a 3-4 ILB though

Miles
04-22-2010, 10:53 PM
You guys are funny.

So you actually liked the Bronco's draft?

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-22-2010, 10:53 PM

Raiders: C+

Chargers: B-

Broncos (Thomas): B-

(Tebow): F

WildTurkey
04-22-2010, 10:55 PM

the Thomas pick was alright he's got potential, but the Tebow pick ROFL still cant believe that actually happened

vailpass

I'll let you know in 2-3 years.

Rudy lost the toss

Raiders: C+

Chargers: B-

Broncos (Thomas): B-

(Tebow): F

I thought you didn't like thomas as even a 2nd or 3rd rounder...what changed?

Bugeater
04-22-2010, 10:56 PM
Chiefs - A+
Chargers - LOL
Raiders - OMG
Donks - WTF

Count Zarth
04-22-2010, 11:19 PM
Total, eh?

Total.

When you badly need a quarterback and a left tackle, and you're already fairly well off at linebacker, and you take a diseased linebacker, you fucked up.

The Raiders are going to be kicking themselves for passing on Clausen just like they passed on half a dozen other quarterbacks they should have taken.

Any of the left tackles would have been acceptable alternatives.

A fucking linebacker. At number fucking eight.

Insanity.

KurtCobain
04-22-2010, 11:25 PM
Chiefs A+++++
Chargers C- Traded to far up
Raiders D+ Good player, bad fit.
Broncos - You're shitting me!!! ROFL

Dave Lane
04-22-2010, 11:28 PM

FAX

Its him, hope he washes out of the Raiders over the summer :)

People don't seem to realize how horrible this disease is. Its bad juju my friends.

keg in kc
04-22-2010, 11:28 PM
Our pick was exactly what it should have been. A

I was not happy to see McClain go to the Raiders. 8 may have been a shade early for him, but I don't think he would have been on the board more than a handful of picks past that, so I can't really drop their grade for a reach. What I can drop their grade for is taking him when they need help at just about every position on the roster not called "linebacker". D

San Diego got a good player at a position they need, but I think they gave up way too much for him. C

Denver started with a shot at a borderline blue-chip player at 11 and ended up with two reaches in the bottom of the round, one of them a major reach. I thought it was one of the worst first rounds in recent memory. F

Dave Lane
04-22-2010, 11:31 PM
He cleared it up last week. He doesn't have Crohns
Posted via Mobile Device

And if you believe that I have some swamp land for sale.

Dave Lane
04-22-2010, 11:32 PM
Chiefs A
Chargers C+
Raiders D-
Denver Z-

Ugly Duck
04-23-2010, 01:11 AM
A ****ing linebacker. At number ****ing eight.

Insanity.

Aw, don't be such a doo-doo head. Mel Hairdo lists him as the 8th best player in this draft. GBN lists him as the 9th best player in this draft. Etc, etc. So the consensus #8-ish player was taken at #8 - that hardly qualifies as a "total reach." Taking Mike Mitchell in the 2nd round... now that was a total reach.

You should give all them draft experts a call to let them know that they are all "insane"....

Basileus777
04-23-2010, 01:13 AM
The most intelligent breakdown you'll find anywhere:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5127000

Rausch
04-23-2010, 01:14 AM
Aw, don't be such a doo-doo head. Mel Hairdo lists him as the 8th best player in this draft. GBN lists him as the 9th best player in this draft. Etc, etc. So the consensus #8-ish player was taken at #8 - that hardly qualifies as a "total reach." Taking Mike Mitchell in the 2nd round... now that was a total reach.

You should give all them draft experts a call to let them know that they are all "insane"....

Whatever helps you through the day...

Mecca
04-23-2010, 01:15 AM
Good chance the Raiders get an LT with their 2nd round pick, I don't mind the McClain pick for the Raiders it's like taking a double.

Coach
04-23-2010, 01:15 AM

Well, at least ya'll didn't reach for a WR, like last year.

Buck
04-23-2010, 01:17 AM

http://hulyitodoboz.prae.hu/prae/upload/xzibit_lol.jpg

Count Zarth
04-23-2010, 01:18 AM

Why are you such a fucking homer?

You should be cursing Al's decrepit ass right now for passing on true impact players AGAIN.

Smed1065
04-23-2010, 01:19 AM
You missed one:

Makes BM a BM............

Mecca
04-23-2010, 01:23 AM
Why are you such a fucking homer?

You should be cursing Al's decrepit ass right now for passing on true impact players AGAIN.

I'm pretty sure when you're a Raider fan this is considered a good draft.

Count Zarth
04-23-2010, 01:25 AM
The fact that Oakland decided to give their offense no help is mind boggling.

Hell, would you trade McClain for Roethlisberger?

HolmeZz
04-23-2010, 01:26 AM
Chiefs - A+
Raiders - B
Chargers - C+
Broncos - D+

Denver isn't an F because I actually had Thomas as my #1 receiver and thought that was a good pick after the trade down. Tebow ruins it though.

I really like the Mathews, but I thought San Diego jumped the gun too early on pulling a deal to move up.

Everyone's grading Oakland on a curve based on how they usually pick. They actually did take a player worthy of the spot they were drafting in for a change, though I don't know if the fit matches the value.

I could've given the Chiefs an A instead of an A+, but there's really no better result that could've come from how the beginning of the draft played out. I do think it was a no-brainer.

Pants
04-23-2010, 01:26 AM

ROFL

NOT cool.

beer bacon
04-23-2010, 02:26 AM
Chiefs - Not only did the Chiefs get the 2nd best prospect in the draft and the best player left at their spot, but Berry fills a dire team need. A

Raiders - McClain made sense as a top ten pick for a 3-4 team. He is a bit of a reach for the Raiders' defense. He is still a very good player. B

Chargers - Matthews is a good running back, but the Chargers gave up too much for a player that didn't grade out as a top fifteen pick. C

Broncos - First pick was fine, but Tebow and the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks they gave up to get him? They went from looking like one of the craftiest teams of the draft to the laughing stock. F-

WhitiE
04-23-2010, 05:19 AM

LOL thanks.....

SenselessChiefsFan
04-23-2010, 05:41 AM
Chiefs-A
Raiders-A Not a reach, not a risk.... one of the best players in the draft, solid, solid pick.
Chargers-B
Broncos-D. I don't think you hand out an F after draft day. The drafted two high character guys.... but, on a team that failed down the stretch last year, they just added two full fledged projects. A WR who knows two branches of the route tree, and knows very little about timing routes, and about the ball being delivered before he breaks..... And a QB that most GM's didn't feel was better than a third round choice. Hey, five years from now, we could all be sitting here, amazed at these two players..... maybe.....I just don't think so.

Buck
04-23-2010, 05:42 AM
I remember when the Chiefs got an A+ grade in the 2008 draft.

Consistent1
04-23-2010, 06:08 AM
KC=A They pretty much did what they had to do. Oak=C Good player.Had other needs where they could have dodged the serious potential health issue.Just average to may,but could turn out fine if they get lucky. SD=B Maybe they did trade up to far,but they are by far the best AFCW team and had a real need on an already pretty nice passing offense.Can't fault this pick for being a reach if he contributes early and they keep winning.Chargers are simply in a different position than the other three teams. Den=D The WR was a needed pick and could possibly work out well.Tebow is just truly hard to explain,even if simply because their other QB's are like WTF?He most likely makes team chemistry worse because the other players are going to be pissed about all the wacky shit there.Gotta go D since it wasn't just Tebow.Don't even really want to knock him, but this too early and the wrong team.
Posted via Mobile Device

WildTurkey
04-23-2010, 06:13 AM
I remember when the Chiefs got an A+ grade in the 2008 draft.

Dorsey, Albert,J.Charles, B. Flowers, yeah they all suck

Ugly Duck
04-23-2010, 07:37 AM
Chiefs-A
Raiders-A Not a reach, not a risk.... one of the best players in the draft, solid, solid pick.

Great! If a Chiefs fan thinks he's OK, then I'm not so worried. I have trouble seeing where McClain is so dang good. Seems like he runs to the ball, but kinda straight up. Then when he gets to the ball carrier he kinda stands there in an arm tackle, kinda like, "OK, I got you. Aren't you supposed to go down now?" He doesn't run through the tackle. It also looks like he slows down if he decides that he won't get to the ball carrier.

But I'm no judge of talent anyway. I thought Gallery & JaDufus were good picks.

SenselessChiefsFan
04-23-2010, 07:41 AM
Great! If a Chiefs fan thinks he's OK, then I'm not so worried. I have trouble seeing where McClain is so dang good. Seems like he runs to the ball, but kinda straight up. Then when he gets to the ball carrier he kinda stands there in an arm tackle, kinda like, "OK, I got you. Aren't you supposed to go down now?" He doesn't run through the tackle. It also looks like he slows down if he decides that he won't get to the ball carrier.

But I'm no judge of talent anyway. I thought Gallery & JaDufus were good picks.

I think the Broncos would have taken him. I was glad to see him go to the Raiders. I think he will be a good player, a very good player.

Dave Lane
04-23-2010, 07:55 AM

Please do not use intelligent and Herm in the same fucking sentence!! And I think a NSFW is need when blind linking to and article of video of him as it may lead to a tirade of expletives.

the Talking Can
04-23-2010, 08:04 AM
McClain is a 3-4 ilb with crohn's

i mean, hard to love that for a 4-3 team with a top 10 pick

i think he'll be a solid pro but i don't see the value there...weird

Chargers got the RB they wanted, but at what price? win now move

Denver took a WR i like but who will need a year to learn the game, and then maed one of the worst trades and draft picks in nfl history....LMAO

CosmicPal
04-23-2010, 08:06 AM
Chiefs - Not only did the Chiefs get the 2nd best prospect in the draft and the best player left at their spot, but Berry fills a dire team need. A

Raiders - McClain made sense as a top ten pick for a 3-4 team. He is a bit of a reach for the Raiders' defense. He is still a very good player. B

Chargers - Matthews is a good running back, but the Chargers gave up too much for a player that didn't grade out as a top fifteen pick. C

Broncos - First pick was fine, but Tebow and the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks they gave up to get him? They went from looking like one of the craftiest teams of the draft to the laughing stock. F-

:clap:

My feelings as well...

The Donks did look like they were going to make quite a draft out of this, but when the smoke cleared and it ended up being Thomas and Tebow, it just didn't make any sense.

As much as I hated Cutler and Marshall, the both of them will have much better careers than Thomas and Tebow. And this is where the Donks failed miserably, trading away quality players for character.

And the Chargers trading ALL the way up for that RB from Fresno State?? Good lord, they could have sat where they were and gotten Best.

HotRoute
04-23-2010, 10:14 AM
Chiefs - A+

Raiders - A-

Chargers - B

Broncos. - B-

Ugly Duck
04-23-2010, 02:22 PM
Here's how FoxSports rate 'em:

A+ Chiefs
A+ Raiders
A Chargers
B- or C+ Broncos

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/grading-first-round-picks-042310#sport=NFL&photo=11156896

Mr. Laz
04-23-2010, 03:02 PM
Chiefs - A
Faiders - B-
Chargers - C+
Broncos - D

i took into account value and cost ... the amount the broncos gave up to get Tebow is just terrible. imo

Pestilence
04-23-2010, 03:07 PM
Chiefs - A
Raiders - B-
Chargers - B-
Broncos - D

Garcia Bronco
04-23-2010, 03:25 PM
Chiefs B
Raiders C
Broncos B
Chargers D

Garcia Bronco
04-23-2010, 03:26 PM
Chiefs - A
Faiders - B-
Chargers - C+
Broncos - D

i took into account value and cost ... the amount the broncos gave up to get Tebow is just terrible. imo

We gave up what we traded down for. We literally got Tim for almost free. Try again.

chiefsfan93
04-23-2010, 03:33 PM
I cant say that we could have done better...

Chiefs A

Raiders A- ( doesn't fit team need 4-3.)

Chargers C (with all the RBs in the league and over paying)

Donx D (Even if tebow turns out OK Daniels wont be around to see it.
I think tebow is gay the way he talks, might be what coach
wants.)

SenselessChiefsFan
04-23-2010, 03:40 PM
We gave up what we traded down for. We literally got Tim for almost free. Try again.

You gave up more than what the draft chart says to draft a player that had a third round grade by most teams. It would have been one thing if they jumped in front of Buffalo tonight.... but they jumped all the way to the first round.

You didn't get Tim Tebow for free. You dropped 13 spots in the first round and used your second round pick.

Hey, it may all work out in the end.... but even the resident ESPN Bronco homer was left just awestruck... and not in a good way.

DrRyan
04-23-2010, 03:46 PM
Berry - A

McClain - C+ the pick makes little sense with Morrison on the roster

Matthews - B- great pick/fit for the Chargers but gave up waaaay too much

Thomas - B- boom/bust player here, I would prefer he have not landed in Denver

Tebow - F if he is ever a legit NFL starting QB I will be shocked. The guy does not read defenses well, is not accurate, has horrible mechanics, but hey, he is a hard worker:rolleyes:

Mecca
04-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Berry - A

McClain - C+ the pick makes little sense with Morrison on the roster

Matthews - B- great pick/fit for the Chargers but gave up waaaay too much

Thomas - B- boom/bust player here, I would prefer he have not landed in Denver

Tebow - F if he is ever a legit NFL starting QB I will be shocked. The guy does not read defenses well, is not accurate, has horrible mechanics, but hey, he is a hard worker:rolleyes:

If you haven't heard, the Raiders want no part of Morrison, they want him gone.

orange
04-23-2010, 03:50 PM
You gave up more than what the draft chart says to draft a player that had a third round grade by most teams. It would have been one thing if they jumped in front of Buffalo tonight.... but they jumped all the way to the first round.

You didn't get Tim Tebow for free. You dropped 13 spots in the first round and used your second round pick.

Hey, it may all work out in the end.... but even the resident ESPN Bronco homer was left just awestruck... and not in a good way.

They had to move to the 20's to get Tebow. Mayock (at least) was posting that that's where Tebow was expected to go.

And the receiver they drafted... Gosselin had him going at #12.

Ari Chi3fs
04-23-2010, 03:53 PM
Chiefs A
Raiders F
Chargers F
Broncos F

Fuck them all. Go Chiefs!

HemiEd
04-23-2010, 03:53 PM

Swing and a miss, if they had a plan, why would they trade down? To save $$?

It comes across like they just wanted action, and had no fucking clue what they were doing.

orange
04-23-2010, 03:55 PM
Swing and a miss, if they had a plan, why would they trade down? To save $$?

You sound like a fan of a team that drafts a 5-technique at #3 and a safety at #5.

DrRyan
04-23-2010, 03:59 PM
If you haven't heard, the Raiders want no part of Morrison, they want him gone.

Sign me up for a 4 or 5a for Morrison.

DrRyan
04-23-2010, 04:00 PM
You sound like a fan of a team that drafts a 5-technique at #3 and a safety at #5.

Jackson, yes. Berry, you are grasping at straws.

orange
04-23-2010, 04:03 PM
Berry, you are grasping at straws.

He could be great... and still not make any difference. The position just doesn't dominate games.

Plus, the history of drafting safeties suggests you don't have to draft the best ones in the top 5. Maybe Berry will be an exception, but this PICK is of the same caliber as taking Curry last year would have been.