PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Whitlock: For the Chiefs, Berry is the ideal choice

Tribal Warfare
04-22-2010, 11:53 PM
For the Chiefs, Berry is the ideal choice (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/04/22/1896955/for-the-chiefs-berry-is-the-ideal.html)
JASON WHITLOCK COMMENTARY

Eric Berry’s resume is the most impressive I’ve ever read.

In the moments after the Chiefs made the Tennessee safety the No. 5 pick in Thursday’s draft, I read Berry’s full resume, and upon completion I felt stupid for championing Dez Bryant as my favorite player in this draft.

Oh, I still think Bryant is going to be a great player.

But Eric Berry might be the perfect football player.

Like his dad, he started for three years at Tennessee and captained the Volunteers. Coming out of high school, Berry was ranked the No. 1 defensive back prospect by Rivals.com and Scout.com. He graduated high school with a 3.75 grade-point average and was a member of the National Honor Society. He was an immediate starter at Tennessee and started every game he played there. In 39 career games, he was flagged for one penalty — pass interference as a freshman.

He was a two-time unanimous All-America selection.

I could go on and on, repeating his accomplishments on the field. Let me offer a simple summation:

Eric Berry is smart, mature, talented and comes from a solid family.

Actually that’s a boring summary. Eric Berry is freakishly talented and blessed with uncanny maturity and football instincts.

How about this? He’s Terrell Owens with brains and class.

When Chiefs coach Todd Haley emerged from Kansas City’s draft room, Haley shared a bit of insight into Berry’s character, relating how Berry had helped the Tennessee equipment managers shine helmets on Fridays before games.

If Tim Tebow had legitimate NFL talent, you might compare him to Eric Berry.

This was a great pick. Berry and Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh were the only can’t-miss prospects in this draft. Only an injury will stop Berry from being a 10-year starter in the NFL.

When you’re drafting at No. 5 and you’re forced to dump millions of guaranteed dollars on a kid, you want a sure thing and a player you believe can handle the money.

If you watched the draft on the NFL Network or ESPN, you might have noticed how many players were wearing huge diamond bracelets, huge diamond watches and huge diamond earrings.

Before they signed an NFL contract, many of the players had already gone $100,000 in debt so they could sport the “right” look on draft night.

Berry and Suh were two players I noticed who hadn’t dropped a hunk of cash on jewelry for draft night.

For some kids, the NFL draft is a winning lottery ticket — an answer to their financial prayers. For other kids, the draft is a step along a journey to prove they’re the best football players in the world.

Every player appreciates and enjoys the money. But for some young players, the money breaks them, kills their drive. The money is the destination.

For kids like Berry, football immortality is the destination. The money will take care of itself.

That’s my read on why the Chiefs drafted Berry with the top pick. Clark Hunt can rest easy. His money won’t be wasted on a kid unwilling to give his best effort. Money broke Larry Johnson and Ryan Sims. It might prove to be the downfall of Dwayne Bowe and Glenn Dorsey.

For the most part, every kid in the first round of the draft has talent, the skill to excel at the next level. The character intangibles often separate the so-so players from the good-to-great players.

Yes, I wanted the Chiefs to take a chance on Dez Bryant, a kid with questionable character. But I’m a risk-taker, and I believe the Chiefs need an upgrade at receiver if we’re ever going to get a fair read on quarterback Matt Cassel.

But the selection of Berry makes total sense. He’s going to make an impact on the field, in the locker room and in the community.

If he’s available in the fourth or fifth round, I hope the Chiefs select Florida State Rhodes Scholar Myron Rolle, another high-character safety. I’d love to see Berry and Rolle at the back of Kansas City’s defense.

MoreLemonPledge
04-22-2010, 11:55 PM
Obviously he didn't see Suh's watch, since he said that Berry and Suh were the only 2 that he saw that didn't blow a bunch of money on jewelry.

Saccopoo
04-22-2010, 11:59 PM
Rolle and Berry would be nice.

</post>
04-23-2010, 12:00 AM
Berry and Flowers... Carr and Rolle... too much word association!

KCrockaholic
04-23-2010, 12:01 AM

ROFL Good fit, right?

BryanBusby
04-23-2010, 12:02 AM

The dude that writes the headlines for The Star is likely already masturbating furiously over the possibilities.

FAX
Let me get this straight. Whittles knew little or nothing about Berry until after the pick and now prefers him to Dez? Is that what I just read?

FAX

KCrockaholic
Rolle and Berry would be nice.

I thought you didn't want Berry?

FAX
Is there a DB by the name of Dingle out there somewhere?

FAX

Count Alex's Losses
04-23-2010, 12:04 AM
That's not what you said last night, bitch.

I felt stupid for championing Dez Bryant as my favorite player in this draft.

That's because you were stupid.

Micjones
04-23-2010, 12:05 AM
Rolle would be a nice way to complete an UBER-talented young secondary.

Der Flöprer
04-23-2010, 12:06 AM
I give it up to Jason for owning up to his mistake.

tk13
04-23-2010, 12:07 AM

It would also give us an edge if the NFL bans all physical contact and conducts the playoffs through a series of quiz competitions.

KcMizzou
04-23-2010, 12:07 AM
I give it up to Jason for owning up to his mistake.Yeah, me too.

Stinger
04-23-2010, 12:09 AM
Is there a DB by the name of Dingle out there somewhere?

FAX

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/5417/image001wc1.jpg

KCrockaholic
04-23-2010, 12:11 AM
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/5417/image001wc1.jpg

Alright that's too easy.

Saccopoo
04-23-2010, 12:13 AM
I thought you didn't want Berry?

Since when?

I've always liked Berry.

I would have had a problem with them taking Clausen, and it appears that 32 teams seem to have had a problem with taking Clausen in the first round, but I had no reservations about Berry. I would have preferred Okung because of the numerous reasons I posted in a thousand other posts, but I really have no problem with them taking Berry.

I'll be pissed if they pass on Kindle at 36.

SNR
I know this joke has already been made, but look at it this way.

Hali Berry now plays for the Chiefs

KCrockaholic
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:QnCXo-07hxi-8M:http://static.flickr.com/122/296414164_fbefc90b3d.jpg

Ahh yes.

P.S. Sorry guys, that's as big as it gets...

KCrockaholic
04-23-2010, 12:15 AM
Since when?

I've always liked Berry.

I would have had a problem with them taking Clausen, and it appears that 32 teams seem to have had a problem with taking Clausen in the first round, but I had no reservations about Berry. I would have preferred Okung because of the numerous reasons I posted in a thousand other posts, but I really have no problem with them taking Berry.

I just thought you where on the Okung Sac bandwagon.

Saccopoo
04-23-2010, 12:16 AM
I know this joke has already been made, but look at it this way.

Hali Berry now plays for the Chiefs

I wish...

Oh momma...

http://www.justsaytops.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/halle-berry.jpg

Chocolate Hog
04-23-2010, 12:17 AM
For the first time in awhile i'm proud to be a Chiefs fan. Goodjob Clark & Scott.

Saccopoo
04-23-2010, 12:21 AM
I just thought you where on the Okung Sac bandwagon.

I was, and I'm a little disappointed that they passed on him, but getting Berry, especially when a lot of rumors were floating around about him being the Redskins pick, is not a bad thing at all.

And if they are confident enough in Albert to pass on Okung when he's sitting there, then that's okay. They really had no greater need than at the safety position (right tackle you could argue, but Williams, who I think was the best right tackle - not left tackle, another fucked up Shanahan pick IMO, was gone, so Berry was a logical pick).

It's ballsy as hell picking a safety that high, and you hope he ends up being Paul Krause, pt.II at that pick/pay scale, but I'm not unhappy with the pick at all.

58kcfan89
04-23-2010, 12:22 AM
I'm down for taking a flyer on Rolle in the 5th...

I haven't been this happy about football since we drafted Dorsey.

Psyko Tek
04-23-2010, 12:22 AM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:QnCXo-07hxi-8M:http://static.flickr.com/122/296414164_fbefc90b3d.jpg

Ahh yes.

You say that often?

Rausch
04-23-2010, 12:23 AM
[SIZE="5"]
If Tim Tebow had legitimate NFL talent, you might compare him to Eric Berry.

ROFL

Rausch
04-23-2010, 12:26 AM
You can't go wrong with a 'Noles D back...

aturnis
04-23-2010, 12:29 AM
Obviously he didn't see Suh's watch, since he said that Berry and Suh were the only 2 that he saw that didn't blow a bunch of money on jewelry.

He must also be talking about just the black guys. Didn't see much bling on McCoy, Clausen, Bradford, or Bulaga.

WildTurkey
04-23-2010, 12:29 AM
Since when?

I've always liked Berry.

You know what? I actually remember you being on board with Berry a while ago......

FAX
04-23-2010, 12:32 AM
For the first time in awhile i'm proud to be a Chiefs fan. Goodjob Clark & Scott.

It's going to be nice around here with the hate throttled back a tad. As many of us have said for awhile, it takes time to rebuild a franchise and our FO got a late start last year. Although mistakes have been made, they're redeeming themselves and it's really good to see their critics backing off a little.

Patience is necessary in our situation. After all, it's a process.

FAX

Rausch
04-23-2010, 12:33 AM

FAX

I've waited since 94.

HURRY THE MOTHERFUCK UP...

JOhn
04-23-2010, 12:36 AM
I've waited since 94.

HURRY THE MOTHER**** UP...

Yea I've been waiting since the late 70's STFU

FAX
04-23-2010, 12:50 AM
Fear not, my friends. Pioli's a genius in a big weeble's body. The way I have it figured, Berry is worth at least 2 extra wins a season because our helmets will be so friggin' shiny, the glare will blind, impair, bewilder, and confound our opponents to such an extent it will lead to multiple fumbled snaps, handoffs, interceptions, and countless muffed punts.

Grass doesn't grow on a busy street, my friends, and Pioli's brainpan is an expressway to championships.

FAX

Chocolate Hog
04-23-2010, 12:52 AM
Mr.Fax is Pioli.

Fritz88
04-23-2010, 12:52 AM
great, great pick. love it.

crazycoffey
04-23-2010, 01:02 AM
Think Berry could be a return guy? just a question....

Mecca
04-23-2010, 01:03 AM
He's done returns before.

Priest31kc
04-23-2010, 01:04 AM

Or Kam Chancellor....

Saccopoo
04-23-2010, 01:06 AM
Think Berry could be a return guy? just a question....

Yes.

Although, I'd rather have a dedicated return guy as I think those guy just expend so much adrenaline for that short time frame that they don't have the juice to do their main job as effectively.

There are a lot of return guys in this draft that they could pick up as the last fifth round pick or even as a UDFA. I'd hate to see them turn Berry into a football equivalent of John Henry.

Saccopoo
04-23-2010, 01:08 AM
Or Kam Chancellor....

I seriously doubt that they will be taking another safety. Page will now be moved over to SS, which he played in college, which isn't a bad thing. A hell of a lot better safety tandem than Brown and McGraw.

HotRoute
04-23-2010, 01:13 AM
berry and page, i like it

HotRoute
04-23-2010, 01:13 AM
.berry and mays, watch out

crazycoffey
04-23-2010, 01:17 AM
He's done returns before.

no, really? :banghead::banghead:

Yes.

Although, I'd rather have a dedicated return guy as I think those guy just expend so much adrenaline for that short time frame that they don't have the juice to do their main job as effectively.

There are a lot of return guys in this draft that they could pick up as the last fifth round pick or even as a UDFA. I'd hate to see them turn Berry into a football equivalent of John Henry.

I know, but I like the good 'ol days were you put a defensive guy back to return punts, all around seemed like the safe thing to do, for fakes and stuff. I'll say his videos didn't show alot of "finesse" running after INT or on the few punts I saw, but he picked up blockers well and he just runs tough looking, I don't know......

Anyway, hadn't heard any talk about it before, and was wondering why that was. I think he'd be fine.

Mecca
04-23-2010, 01:17 AM
Rolle is probably worth one of the 5's if you're trying to put up the image of hard working smart guys to the rest of the team.

Mecca
04-23-2010, 01:18 AM
If you knew he returned why would you ask if he could?

Just asking a question you know the answer to?

crazycoffey
04-23-2010, 01:22 AM
If you knew he returned why would you ask if he could?

Just asking a question you know the answer to?

Well, I asked if he could be, not if he had been;
watching film since he was drafted, noticed he looked pretty good at it, and while returning INTs, wondered why there hadn't been talk about him being a return guy at this level before.

Shit Mecca, I can't even ask questions to your liking? LOL

Der Flöprer
04-23-2010, 01:24 AM
So, now that Whitlock has come clean and admitted his fuck up, will Nick "Assclown" Athan?

Barry has never been on the Chiefs radar. They feel they can get a solid safety in the second round and they are correct. Chiefs need more picks Suh is the only guy at Five they won't pass on. But hey that could change!!!

Rausch
04-23-2010, 01:25 AM
No on Berry as a return guy.

How 'bout we don't risk out most talented defender getting rocked for an extra 5 yards of field position...

FAX
04-23-2010, 01:26 AM
ROFL ROFL

colquitt kickd jw's jowls?

You know, I never completely understood the continuous and ongoing hue and cry for the return of tag things (I was, apparently, on hiatus when tag things were initially introduced), but now, at last, I do. Clearly, tag things provide for inherently insightful and thought-provoking individual commentary. I have no idea what they're good for, but they are quite obviously a remarkable and extraordinarily effective communication method.

FAX

crazycoffey
04-23-2010, 01:30 AM
So, now that Whitlock has come clean and admitted his fuck up, will Nick "Assclown" Athan?

:clap: well played, but whitless is still whitless.....

No on Berry as a return guy.

How 'bout we don't risk out most talented defender getting rocked for an extra 5 yards of field position...

can certainly understand the sentiment, but it's worked for other teams, and in the past, woodson, reed, bailey, etc etc.

Rausch
04-23-2010, 01:44 AM
:clap: well played, but whitless is still whitless.....

can certainly understand the sentiment, but it's worked for other teams, and in the past, woodson, reed, bailey, etc etc.

Know how Rod Woodson went from a CB to a FS?...

crazycoffey
04-23-2010, 01:47 AM
Know how Rod Woodson went from a CB to a FS?...

he was aging, not as fast as he used to be but still made a better safety than most. I was referring to charles in my last post, but he would work too. Again, though, I do understand your argument, and not really trying to argue against it.

Rausch
04-23-2010, 01:48 AM
he was aging, not as fast as he used to be but still made a better safety than most. I was referring to charles in my last post, but he would work too. Again, though, I do understand your argument, and not really trying to argue against it.

He got his shit blown out during a return...

Ebolapox
04-23-2010, 01:51 AM

Ahh yes.

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID, KNOWWHATI'MSAYING?!?

Mecca
04-23-2010, 01:54 AM
I'd hope the team can find a returner who is not one of the teams key players.

Coach
04-23-2010, 02:17 AM

That'd be a good choice to use in the day 3 draft, filling up some depth while finding some guy who can flat out fly or has some production as a returner only, who also could contribute to the offense or defense to a degree.

Rausch
04-23-2010, 02:19 AM

Why are you throwing up so much hate on the Tate?...

Mecca
04-23-2010, 02:25 AM
Oh I don't like Golden Tate for the Chiefs pick, you'd have to take him at the top of the 2nd and I like the defensive players better.

Rausch
04-23-2010, 02:35 AM
Oh I don't like Golden Tate for the Chiefs pick, you'd have to take him at the top of the 2nd and I like the defensive players better.

I think the need is greater on offense now that we don't have a complete retard as a DC...

Count Alex's Losses
04-23-2010, 02:55 AM
I think the need is greater on offense now that we don't have a complete retard as a DC...

The Chiefs have shit at ILB, shit at NT, and only one OLB worth a shit.

Crennel isn't going to turn Ron Edwards, Corey Mays or Mike Vrabel into good players.

Front seven has to be addressed in the 2nd at some point.

Mecca
04-23-2010, 02:56 AM
I think I'd rather go with Damian Williams at the 2nd 2nd round pick and go with a defender at the first one.

milkman
04-23-2010, 05:53 AM
I've waited since 94.

HURRY THE MOTHER**** UP...

What the hell?

Is that when you started watching Chiefs football?

I've been waiting since 19fucking71.

milkman
04-23-2010, 05:55 AM
It's going to be nice around here with the hate throttled back a tad. As many of us have said for awhile, it takes time to rebuild a franchise and our FO got a late start last year. Although mistakes have been made, they're redeeming themselves and it's really good to see their critics backing off a little.

FAX

They made one good decision.

That's a start to redemption, but they have a hell of a lot of work to do before they are actually redeeming themselves.

the Talking Can
04-23-2010, 05:56 AM
Whitlock didn't know anything about Berry before the pick?

what a joke...dumbass

FAX
04-23-2010, 07:16 AM
They made one good decision.

That's a start to redemption, but they have a hell of a lot of work to do before they are actually redeeming themselves.

Well, getting redeemed and all is a process too, Mr. milkman.

FAX

SenselessChiefsFan
04-23-2010, 07:24 AM

Ahh yes.

ROFL

DTLB58
04-23-2010, 07:46 AM

Agreed. Cause then we just end up with the Dante thing again, scaling back his return duties because he gets tired. So then he just returns either punts or kickoffs not both then we need to find yet another guy.

Get a guy in the 5th or UDFA to be the return/ST guy full time.

Reerun_KC
04-23-2010, 07:48 AM
Nice back pedal Jason....

DTLB58
04-23-2010, 07:48 AM
Whitlock didn't know anything about Berry before the pick?

what a joke...dumbass

Yea, He just basically said I fully ignored this guy preparing for who the Chiefs should have taken. Why would you admit this?

BigRedChief
04-23-2010, 07:50 AM
So, now that Whitlock has come clean and admitted his **** up, will Nick "Assclown" Athan?
When was this posted?
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Chiefs Insider
Barry has never been on the Chiefs radar. They feel they can get a solid safety in the second round and they are correct. Chiefs need more picks Suh is the only guy at Five they won't pass on. But hey that could change!!!
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

OmahaChief
04-23-2010, 08:52 AM
That was one of the best written Whitock pieces I have ever seen. I actually learned a lot about Berry as a person and player in that article. I was happy to get the kid yesterday but after reading his article I am estatic. Two things really stuck out to me
1. He only was flagged for one pentality in college and that was as a freshman..that is amazing
2. He helped shine helmets with the staff...that shows character beyond his years.

Love this pick and am so happy to have a guy like this in KC.

GO CHIEFS!

chiefvol33
04-23-2010, 11:24 AM
About the return man...Berry is more dynamic with the ball in his hands than any defensive player I’ve ever seen, college or NFL, and it’s really not close. It won’t let me link, but he played an option QB in HS and the videos show you a hint of his ability with the ball. By far his best attribute are his ball skills. They are literally off the charts.

Der Flöprer
04-23-2010, 11:30 AM
When was this posted?
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Chiefs Insider
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

LMAO Yesterday. 30 minutes before the draft.

Mr. Laz
04-23-2010, 12:32 PM
Let me get this straight. Whittles knew little or nothing about Berry until after the pick and now prefers him to Dez? Is that what I just read?

FAX
yes ... which fits Whitlocks SOP perfectly.

he saw a talented black guy getting a bad PR so he wanted to go to bat for him. :doh!: