PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Petro: Stupid on Fire

dallaschiefsfan
04-23-2010, 10:39 AM
"The reason the Chiefs had to take Berry at #5 is because they cut Bernard Pollard"

:shake:

Their is zero linkage between these two things. Berry was the pick, Pollard or no Pollard.

BigRedChief
04-23-2010, 10:40 AM
"The reason the Chiefs had to take Berry at #5 is because they cut Bernard Pollard"

Their is zero linkage between these two things. Berry was the pick, Pollard or no Pollard.What a moron. :facepalm:

dirk digler
04-23-2010, 10:40 AM
Yeah I am listening to him right now. He said Pollard was an athletic safety that we cut. I always thought Pollard was slow as shit

notorious
04-23-2010, 10:41 AM
Oh my.

One has little to do with the other.

Detoxing
04-23-2010, 10:42 AM
A lot people today just trying to save face because they fought so hard for us to take an OL. So...we get stupid ass comments like these because he looks like an idiot for calling the wrong pick.

And he knows he's an idiot.

Dave Lane
04-23-2010, 10:43 AM
IF we had kept Pollard and Page had played well last year MAYBE we didn't need a safety as badly and traded out of the pick. As it is Berry > 5 Pollards

Bowser
04-23-2010, 10:44 AM
That's like saying Tracy Simien and Derrick Thomas were the same because they had linebacker in their title.

Come on, Petro. You're (assumably) smarter than that.

Pasta Giant Meatball
04-23-2010, 10:44 AM
Poor lil guy.

Mr. Laz
04-23-2010, 10:53 AM
He's just trying to cover his ass because he didn't talk about taking Berry before the draft.

DJ's left nut
04-23-2010, 11:02 AM
Yes he did, Petro mentioned Berry fairly frequently. He was also dead opposed to Bulaga and had several of the same "You need playmakers" moments that many of us have had.

Ultimately he's overplaying his hand, but his point has some merit. We absolutely needed some athleticism in the secondary. We had some in Pollard (and no, he wasn't "slow as shit" - that's Brown, Pollard ran down AP from behind - the dude was an athlete) and we cut him.

Even with Pollard, Berry is the pick to make there. So in that sense, Petro is overplaying his hand and making himself look somewhat juvenile. At the same time, this secondary with Pollard at SS and Berry at FS would've been freaking fantastic and that probably shouldn't be ignored. As it is, we'll need to play either Berry or Page at SS (likely Berry) where some of their strengths, namely their ball-hawking and ability to run a bit after a pick, aren't utilized correctly.

morphius
04-23-2010, 11:08 AM
I hated all the talk about OL in the first round, especially at the number 5 pick. We have Albert, who I'm actually willing to give a chance and see no reason why we would look t replace him so soon. I mean I guess we could move him to RT, but really, asking the guy to make yet another move is just begging to ruin him.

Berry was the best player on the board and we took him, simple as that.

DaneMcCloud
04-23-2010, 11:09 AM
Wow, when did Petro become a moron? I haven't heard him in years but he was never this stupos.

Must be the KK effect.
Posted via Mobile Device

dallaschiefsfan
04-23-2010, 11:09 AM
As it is, we'll need to play either Berry or Page at SS (likely Berry) where some of their strengths, namely their ball-hawking and ability to run a bit after a pick, aren't utilized correctly.

Doubtful. They will both play SS and FS, depending on the package. I expect Page to start every game at SS, though.

notorious
04-23-2010, 11:11 AM
He's just trying to cover his ass because he didn't talk about taking Berry before the draft.

That's what makes it so retarded.

If you are a radio guy, come on CP and read about what the fans are talking about.

Make that the subject of your show and TA-FUCKING-DA! Watch the ratings soar.

Short Leash Hootie
04-23-2010, 11:11 AM
well it would be nice if we had them both...that's for sure

Sure-Oz
04-23-2010, 11:12 AM
I like petro but this sounds realy stupid, he sounds like hes having a fescoe moment. Fescoe was all about OT, that douche

BigChiefFan
04-23-2010, 11:19 AM
Pollard was a malcontent who didn't listen to his coaches. He has talent, but his 10 cent head and bloated ego, wouldn't allow him to be a reliable player. I'll never regret cutting his ass. Pollard is all about Pollard. Another 2nd round reach in Carl's tenure.

Short Leash Hootie
04-23-2010, 11:20 AM
well at the very least he was one of the best special teams players I've ever seen

BigChiefFan
04-23-2010, 11:21 AM
Also Berry is a FS, Pollard was a SS. Soren should be embarassed he's a sports host and doesn't even know.

DJ's left nut
04-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Pollard was a malcontent who didn't listen to his coaches. He has talent, but his 10 cent head and bloated ego, wouldn't allow him to be a reliable player. I'll never regret cutting his ass. Pollard is all about Pollard. Another 2nd round reach in Carl's tenure.

All bullshit revisionist history.

Pollard was a talented, coachable kid with a huge motor and a very good attitude until Haley and Pioli came along. The kid was a starting SS and still loved being on the ST units, just how much of a malcontent could he have been?

Then he has one outburst in Camp and suddenly he becomes a malcontent.

I defy anyone to present a single example of Pollard being labeled a malcontent prior to that incident. It's garbage rationalizing by a lazy coaching staff.

BigChiefFan
04-23-2010, 11:24 AM
well at the very least he was one of the best special teams players I've ever seenI'll give you that. He definitely made some plays on special teams, however I hate spending 2nd rounders for a special team guys. His coverage skills were attrocious and was a reach in my book. I'm glad we'll be looking for a future replacement. If he's not willing to put in the work and know the playbook, then all the talent in the world, isn't worth keeping him on the roster for, IMO.

Shox
04-23-2010, 11:26 AM
Berry or no Berry, cutting Pollard was stupid.

If we still had Pollard it is very possible we could have gone a different direction or we still take Berry and you have a great defensive backfield....Berry, Pollard, Page, Flowers, and Carr.

Either way it does not change the fact letting Pollard walk was a mistake.

BigChiefFan
04-23-2010, 11:28 AM

Pollard was a talented, coachable kid with a huge motor and a very good attitude until Haley and Pioli came along. The kid was a starting SS and still loved being on the ST units, just how much of a malcontent could he have been?

I defy anyone to present a single example of Pollard being labeled a malcontent prior to that incident. It's garbage rationalizing by a lazy coaching staff.

Hello????

If you are yelling at your coaches in getting in their grill, that by definition is a malcontent. He doesn't need a history of the action, that action alone, qualifies. I'm not revising shit. Pollard pulled the stunt and labled himself with his action. He did it, dude, that's not revising a damn thing.

SenselessChiefsFan
04-23-2010, 11:28 AM
I didn't take it as that. I took it as this doesn't make letting Pollard go any better.

Is Berry better than Pollard? Heck yes. Would the Chiefs had as big of a need at safety if they hadn't let him go? No.

Would they still have taken Berry? I would think so, but who knows?

GoHuge
04-23-2010, 11:29 AM
Petro has been beating the never take a safety in the top 5 drum for a long time. I don't think he's covering his ass, it's just what he believes. Did he say who we should have taken instead? I'd much rather trust an NFL head coach, a 4 time NFL executive of the year, NFL scouts, and every real NFL analyst that said EB was the best or 2nd best player in the draft over a guy that hosts a radio show in KC. That's just me though.

keg in kc
04-23-2010, 11:31 AM
Pollard was a great special teamer and a bad safety here in KC. And that's pretty much it.

LaChapelle
04-23-2010, 12:00 PM
I don't remember if he acted like Don Fortune
but he acts more like KK every fucking day

keg in kc
04-23-2010, 12:09 PM
He just said he wanted Tebow in the 2nd. :doh!: :shake:

DJ's left nut
04-23-2010, 12:12 PM
Hello????

If you are yelling at your coaches in getting in their grill, that by definition is a malcontent. He doesn't need a history of the action, that action alone, qualifies. I'm not revising shit. Pollard pulled the stunt and labled himself with his action. He did it, dude, that's not revising a damn thing.

You're right.

3 years of being a good soldier + 1 incident where he got pissed off and frustrated while trying to learn a new scheme = a malcontent.

That's absolute garbage. Everyone can point to an incident in their history where they overreacted, often angrily, and now regret it. You have conceded that this entire 'malcontent' label arises from the fuzzy details of a single incident; that's assinine.

The 3 seasons that preceded this incident and his attitude in Houston are far better indicators of his attitude than a rumored 'blowup' with his moron defensive coordinator (that his own coach could be seen cussing on the sidelines).

Pollard wasn't a malcontent. He was a 24 year old kid that was frustrated. But that's a far less convenient excuse for cutting an otherwise productive ballplayer.

beer bacon
04-23-2010, 12:12 PM
It seems to me that Pollard was playing like trash at safety before we cut him. He was supposed to some BA when we drafted him, but Page had played much better.

keg in kc
04-23-2010, 12:14 PM
It seems to me that Pollard was playing like trash at safety before we cut him. He was supposed to some BA when we drafted him, but Page had played much better.You are correct. People shit all over his safety play all the time before he was traded.

dirk digler

Did you forget he was suspended at Purdue for basically the same thing?

notorious
Pollard was horrific at Safety.

kc rush
04-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Pollard was a great special teamer and a bad safety here in KC. And that's pretty much it.

He probably has the talent to be a good safety, but not the head. He always seemed to be out of position and would try to put the highlight reel hit on guys instead of just doing his job, wrapping up and tackling.

Dayze
04-23-2010, 12:19 PM
Pollard was average at best.

Petro is a moron on this particular take. the Pollard/Berry comparison is mucho retardioso.

beer bacon
04-23-2010, 12:20 PM
I am one of the few people that enjoys listening 810 AM, but they bring up Pollard way too much. I never even think about the guy, but I hear Petro, Kevin, and all the other 810 AM people talking about him once or twice a month like it was some big deal we got rid of him.

DJ's left nut
04-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Did you forget he was suspended at Purdue for basically the same thing?

Getting dinged from a couple of practices because you were talking smack during warmups is a completely different animal.

That's a kid being a kid with his teammates and running his yap because he's firey. He wasn't going off on coaches, he just wasn't toning down his emotions during workouts.

That's something he'd have never been disciplined for at an NFL level; smack is part of the game up here.

The two instances aren't even comparable and to call them 'basically the same thing' reeks of intellecutal dishonesty in pursuit of a point.

dirk digler
04-23-2010, 12:24 PM
Getting dinged from a couple of practices because you were talking smack during warmups is a completely different animal.

That's a kid being a kid with his teammates and running his yap because he's firey. He wasn't going off on coaches, he just wasn't toning down his emotions during workouts.

That's something he'd have never been disciplined for at an NFL level; smack is part of the game up here.

The two instances aren't even comparable and to call them 'basically the same thing' reeks of intellecutal dishonesty in pursuit of a point.

He was running his mouth at his coach and even said he wanted to be released from his scholarship.

An incensed Tiller later told him to leave the field. Some of Pollard's teammates pleaded with him to settle down, but he kept looking over his shoulder as he left and exchanged words with Tiller, who followed him off the field.

As Pollard kept talking, Tiller kept adding days to his suspension.

"I intentionally followed him because I wanted to find out at what point he would get to the realization this was real," Tiller said.

the Talking Can
04-23-2010, 12:27 PM
petro is a miserable p.o.s.

keg in kc
04-23-2010, 12:31 PM
I am one of the few people that enjoys listening 810 AM, but they bring up Pollard way too much.Don't get me wrong, I love Petro's show and think he's far-and-away the best on-air talent in sports radio in KC, but associating Pollard with Berry and then talking about how he wanted KC to draft Teblow in the 2nd is just making me laugh my ass off.

DJ's left nut
04-23-2010, 12:34 PM
He was running his mouth at his coach and even said he wanted to be released from his scholarship.

He was a 20 year old kid is walking off the field pissed (and his coach is baiting him by his own admission).

Meanwhile, in KC he continued to play STs at his coach's behest and never once complained about being horribly mis-used by his staff (WTF was Bernard Pollard doing in a Cover-2?). He went out there every day and did what he was asked to do. He also provided some swagger that an NFL team absolutely has to have.

The kid was a model teammate for his entire Chiefs tenure. There is no indication that he ever had a problem with anyone in the organization as a Chief.

DJ's left nut
04-23-2010, 12:42 PM
Why you can't trust the miscreants on this board:

"If Romeo Crennel is here, maybe he acts as a buffer and Todd Haley isn't allowed to cut Bernard Pollard. Then you're adding Eric Berry to Bernard Pollard and creating a great secondary..."

He also said that he wouldn't have had a problem with the Chiefs taking Tebow in the 2nd. That's a far cry from "The Chiefs should have taken Tebow in the 2nd".

Petro's getting mischaracterized fairly heavily here.

keg in kc
04-23-2010, 12:51 PM
His entire take on Berry is somewhat interesting because he's long said that he believes the right way to draft is to take the best player on the board in every round. The Chiefs did exactly that yesterday, whether safety was a need or not, yet he's talking about it only like it's a need pick, and ignoring the qualities of the player.

Count Alex's Wins
04-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Fuck science? LMAO

keg in kc
04-23-2010, 12:54 PM
He also said that he wouldn't have had a problem with the Chiefs taking Tebow in the 2nd. That's a far cry from "The Chiefs should have taken Tebow in the 2nd".I said "he wanted the Chiefs to take Tebow in the 2nd" not "the chiefs should have taken Tebow", if we're going to worry about "mischaracterization".

Anyway, the main point of comedy for me is that he believes Tebow was a 2nd round talent, and not whether or not he wanted the Chiefs to take him.

And as far as labeling anybody as a 'miscreant', well, GFY.

DJ's left nut
04-23-2010, 12:55 PM
His entire take on Berry is somewhat interesting because he's long said that he believes the right way to draft is to take the best player on the board in every round. The Chiefs did exactly that yesterday, whether safety was a need or not, yet he's talking about it only like it's a need pick, and ignoring the qualities of the player.

But he's not, not at all.

He's never said that. He continues to say that he thinks Berry is going to be a very good/great player. He's said only that we shouldn't go absolutely crazy over Pioli on this because the safeties are so weak in large part because of the decisions of the coaching staff. He's also saying that the addition of Crennel could alleviate that concern.

He's not attempted to equate this to the Jackson pick at all. I'd say he's being no worse than cautiously optimistic re: Berry.

Icon
04-23-2010, 01:01 PM
Petro is a whiny bitch who forgot to take his Midol. He gets that way from time to time..

dirk digler
04-23-2010, 01:02 PM
He was a 20 year old kid is walking off the field pissed (and his coach is baiting him by his own admission).

Meanwhile, in KC he continued to play STs at his coach's behest and never once complained about being horribly mis-used by his staff (WTF was Bernard Pollard doing in a Cover-2?). He went out there every day and did what he was asked to do. He also provided some swagger that an NFL team absolutely has to have.

The kid was a model teammate for his entire Chiefs tenure. There is no indication that he ever had a problem with anyone in the organization as a Chief.

So you went from he wasn't yelling at his coaches to now he is a young kid pissed.

And you wonder who the miscreant is?

DJ's left nut
04-23-2010, 01:05 PM
So you went from he wasn't yelling at his coaches to now he is a young kid pissed.

And you wonder who the miscreant is?

He got suspended for talking smack, on his way off the field he was chirping at Tiller (who was only making the situation worse).

And again - you continue to ignore the fact that he spent three years here with a moron head coach/d-coordinator that insisted on poorly utilizing him without complaint. He also played Special teams and busted his ass while doing so instead of taking the half-assed way out and going easy on STs.

keg in kc
04-23-2010, 01:09 PM
But he's not, not at all.

He's never said that. He's said only that we shouldn't go absolutely crazy over Pioli on this because the safeties are so weak in large part because of the decisions of the coaching staff. He's also saying that the addition of Crennel could alleviate that concern.

He's not attempted to equate this to the Jackson pick at all. I'd say he's being no worse than cautiously optimistic re: Berry.I know he hasn't said Berry was a need pick. I know he hasn't equated this to the Jackson pick. I never said he said that he had, on either count. What I find interesting, as I said, is the way he's carried out the discussion. His focus was on virtually everything other than Berry. The safety position, Pollard, the Texans, the front office. Little actual discussion of the pick, on its own merit. It seemed like the fact that it was a safety was more relevant than anything about the actual player, himself. Which I thought was an odd way to discuss it, particularly for a guy that I know leans toward value over need.

That's all I'm saying.

Anyway, that retarded 1 pm friday segment is on, so I'm done with Petro for the week.

dirk digler
04-23-2010, 01:12 PM
He got suspended for talking smack, on his way off the field he was chirping at Tiller (who was only making the situation worse).

And again - you continue to ignore the fact that he spent three years here with a moron head coach/d-coordinator that insisted on poorly utilizing him without complaint. He also played Special teams and busted his ass while doing so instead of taking the half-assed way out and going easy on STs.

Ok whatever you say

Purdue safety Bernard Pollard yelled "to give me my papers" as he was chased from practice that August evening after a confrontation with his head coach - a common term for an athlete wishing to transfer.

In hindsight, Joe Tiller wishes he had complied.

"If that confrontation that occurred between me and Pollard had happened some other time, he would not be on the team," Tiller said seven months later. "I would have kicked him off the team, and I didn't."

Tiller only gave his strong safety a three-game suspension -- and it foreshadowed a miserable fall in West Lafayette.

"We just had some really selfish guys on our team," Tiller says, "and I kept thinking, 'I'm going to change a little bit. I'm not going to be that old, hard-nosed, not-be-flexible coach.' I learned that's wrong. That's not me. I'm not going to deal with that stuff again from a player or a coach. No one."

Dave Lane
04-23-2010, 02:40 PM
You are correct. People shit all over his safety play all the time before he was traded.

GoChiefs had a huge thread on the fail that was Pollard.

When you have a new regime and new coaches you DO NOT yell at them and get in their face period.

Also I think it was a month before Houston picked him up it wasn't like the league was swarming to get him.

Mecca
04-23-2010, 02:43 PM
This is a guy who repeatedly said safety wasn't worth a top 5 pick, yesterday he kept saying front 7 defensive player, he has to save face.

CupidStunt
04-23-2010, 02:43 PM
The bottom line is that Pollard was dogshit in KC and merely OK in Houston.

All this outcry because for the first time in his career he was better than shit?

Pushead2
04-23-2010, 02:47 PM
GoChiefs had a huge thread on the fail that was Pollard.

When you have a new regime and new coaches you DO NOT yell at them and get in their face period.

Also I think it was a month before Houston picked him up it wasn't like the league was swarming to get him.

Exactly, just because a new regime comes in and you are frustrated doesn't mean you start acting like a jackass, if that was the case DJ should have punched someone right in the fucking mouth.

Tbone8801
04-23-2010, 03:25 PM

Their is zero linkage between these two things. Berry was the pick, Pollard or no Pollard.

Ok, so Ive lost some respect for this guy! Pollard whiffed on so many tackles it wasn't funny. I think pollard got lazy in his last year and he needed to be fired to step up his play imo. Pollard was even near the prospect EB is coming out of college.