PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Cameras On Players...

The Rick
04-23-2010, 10:49 AM
Anyone else wish they'd NOT show players receiving phone calls when they are about to be drafted? Removes all of the suspense from the pick for me.

I wish it would just all be speculation and suspense until the commish says:

"With the X pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, Team Y selects...."

Then, at that point, show the player who was just drafted and let the opinions fly. It would make for MUCH better TV, IMO.

rambleonthruthefog
04-23-2010, 10:51 AM
agreed. it was annoying to watch the pundits speculate all the while the camera is one the chosen player talking on the phone and crying.

Sofa King
04-23-2010, 10:58 AM
i completely agree...

the best draft i ever seen was the dorsey draft, and thats because i listened to it on ESPN radio....

alpha_omega
04-23-2010, 11:00 AM
Agreed....100%. I absolutely hated the fact that the camera totally eliminated any drama or suspense.

Old Dog
04-23-2010, 11:25 AM
I concur.......I would also like to see it moved back to Saturday and Sunday.
Neither one of those is going to happen.

Deberg_1990
04-23-2010, 11:30 AM
turn off the tv and keep refreshing CP, CNNSI, ESPN or Yahoo websites.

Shox
04-23-2010, 11:36 AM
I thought exactly the same thing. Drat would be 1000% better if they would not reveal before the pick.

eazyb81
04-23-2010, 11:59 AM
Totally agree, it's almost as annoying as when Berman used to say the pick before it was actually announced.

Dayze
04-23-2010, 11:59 AM
agree. they should let the Commish announce it; then if they want to replay the footage of the player being contacted by the team, so be it.

Dayze
04-23-2010, 12:00 PM
even worse is when it's about 3 minutes until a teams time on the clock is about to expire and LaConfora comes on and says who the pick will be. STFU>

Count Alex's Losses
04-23-2010, 12:01 PM
Seeing them on the phone is part of the fun. That's when you get all excited like a teenage girl, even though you don't really believe it, and you think now maybe it's possible, and the feeling escalates until you drafturbate so hard you EXPLODE when Goodell makes it official.

Of course if you don't want that player, then you immediately scream NOOOOOO and begin praying he's talking to some other team.

It's all about experiencing the gamut of emotions.

notorious
04-23-2010, 12:04 PM
Seeing them on the phone is part of the fun. That's when you get all excited like a teenage girl, even though you don't really believe it, and you think now maybe it's possible, and the feeling escalates until you drafturbate so hard you EXPLODE when Goodell makes it official. Of course if you don't want that player, then you immediately scream NOOOOOO and begin praying he's talking to some other team. It's all about experiencing the gamut of emotions.

So you are telling us it's similar to the first time you fell in love with the High School Quarterback?

Count Alex's Losses
04-23-2010, 12:10 PM
So you are telling us it's similar to the first time you fell in love with the High School Quarterback?

No, because he immediately punched me in the face when I came on to him.

It is, however, similar to sitting in a movie theater and watching a trailer, and at first you don't know what it is, but then you get a hint, and you begin to think OMG it could be THIS AWESOME MOVIE I'VE WANTED TO SEE FOR YEARS and then SUDDENLY IT IS!!!!!!! And then a few months later you watch this awesome movie.

Molitoth
04-23-2010, 12:15 PM
I agree, ditch the cameras on the players.

LaChapelle
04-23-2010, 12:19 PM
Smart
watch our network and be the first to text your friends

The Bad Guy
04-23-2010, 12:34 PM
Twitter has also hampered the draft experience. I went on it last night at the bar because I wanted to keep up, but they tell you 3 minutes before the pick who was going. All of the ESPN/NFLN guys had it updated within seconds. Crazy stuff.

morphius
04-23-2010, 12:35 PM
I think it is kind of fun, should give the talking heads more time to talk about the player.

Chiefnj2
04-23-2010, 12:36 PM
I had no problem whatsoever seeing Berry on the phone saying he's going to the Chiefs.

Mr. Laz
04-23-2010, 12:37 PM
i agree ... but the networks just can't resist being the 1st to reveal the pick.

the NFL could prevent it though by telling teams they can't call the player until after the pick is announced. :shrug:

Chiefnj2
04-23-2010, 12:40 PM
The most dramatic moment for me was the time between Berry saying he was going to KC and the commish walking to the podium to announce it. I kept thinking someone was going to get on the phone and make a last minute trade offer that Pioli would accept.

Rain Man
04-23-2010, 12:40 PM
i agree ... but the networks just can't resist being the 1st to reveal the pick.

the NFL could prevent it though by telling teams they can't call the player until after the pick is announced. :shrug:

Or the NFL simply doesn't allow cameras in the players' backstage areas.

It's really annoying that they spoil the suspense.

Mr. Laz
04-23-2010, 12:44 PM
Or the NFL simply doesn't allow cameras in the players' backstage areas.

It's really annoying that they spoil the suspense.
yea but they want to show the drama and suspense of a player in agony as he falls down the draft or the players family crying and jumping around as a player get selected. It brings a human element to a t.v. show based on numbers and stats.

no phone calls until AFTER it's announced to get both of best worlds. imo.

selection surprise and human element on camera

Fruit Ninja
04-23-2010, 12:51 PM
Doesnt bother me, but i tell you want, its pretty cool see'ing the kids get happy when that phone rings.

HoneyBadger
04-23-2010, 12:57 PM
So your telling me the months before the draft is not enough suspense for you?

Finding out a few seconds before isn't going to kill you.

Fruit Ninja
04-23-2010, 12:59 PM

its not about the "suspense" its about see'ing the kids face when he finally gets his name called after a life long team is complete.

Rain Man
04-23-2010, 12:59 PM

It's like planning a surprise party, and the person who's bringing the surprisee tells them in the car as they pull into the driveway.

Frosty
04-23-2010, 01:01 PM
Doesnt bother me, but i tell you want, its pretty cool see'ing the kids get happy when that phone rings.

Seeing Haden's reaction was pretty cool. You can tell how much this means for some of these guys.

I also liked hearing Berry's reaction. "I've always wanted to be a Chief!"