PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink 50 Beers to Try Before You Die

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

NewChief
04-24-2010, 06:18 AM
Thought the beer snobs here might like this article (and probably critique the hell out of it).

http://www.wisdeo.com/articles/view_post/2984
(CBS) You've heard of "100 Bottles of Beer on the Wall"?

How about 50 to try before you die?!

Call it the bucket list of beer.

GQ magazine put together a list of 50 beers from around the world all beer enthusiasts need to try before they die.

GQ's style editor, Adam Rapoport, narrowed down that list and, along with co-anchor Harry Smith, sampled Rapoport's top half-dozen. All six are readily available across the country, and inexpensive.

Rapoport's top six:

Allagash White
Ommegang Hennepin
Oskar Blues Dale Pale Ale
Redenbach Grand Cru
Anchor Steam
Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout

All descriptions seen here are from GQ

Allagash White - $9 (4-pack bottles)
The Portland, Maine-based Allagash makes a lot of excellent, wheat-heavy Belgian beers, and this is their flagship: light and bubbly with a beguiling spice mix no one has been able to guess. This is a wheat beer. Like most, it's a little cloudy and sweet, relatively low alcohol. Often drunk a lemon or orange wedge squeezed into it. I don't want to say it's a beer for girls, but it's a beer for girls. They love it-especially on a hot, summer afternoon.

Ommegang Hennepin - $7 (750ML)
Earthy yeast plus lemon and clove in a supremely drinkable amber body. This is the best American saison there is. It's a farmhouse ale, aka 'saison' (pronounced SIZE-ON). Similar to a wheat beer, but spicier (a lemony, clove zest). Goes great with ethnic, spicy foods such as Thai food. And it opens like a bottle of champagne, which is cool.
Saison (French, "season") is the name originally given to refreshing, low-alcohol pale ales brewed seasonally in farmhouses in Wallonia, the French-speaking region of Belgium, to refresh farm workers during harvest season.

Oskar Blues Dale's Pale Ale - $9 (6-pack cans)
Packed with tons of citrus from a heavy dose of American hops, this is the quintessential stateside IPA. Like most pale ales, it's on the hoppier side-which means its slightly bitter and sour. You know hops when you taste em. However, it's not as hoppy as a IPA (Indian Pale Ale). And we really like the can, which makes it easily transportable, great to bring to a picnic or barbecue or the beach. Technically speaking, beer lasts longer in a can because no light is allowed in.

Rodenbach Grand Cru - $9 (750ML)
The classic Flemish red: funky, vinegary, and dark. A blend of one part young and two parts barrel-aged beers makes it deliciously sour with notes of boozy fruit. A fruitier beer, but not fruity sweet, more fruity sour. The fruitiness cleanses your palate so it makes you hungrier. Slightly more expensive, more fancy. More like wine than the six pack you pick up at 7-11. You could bring it to a dinner party.

Anchor Steam - $9 (6-pack bottles)
The one and only true example of this unique style, Anchor's Steam Beer is a lager in name only. Fermented at higher temperatures than your typical lager, it keeps the style's crisp dryness but adds fruity esters and extra hops. The most accessible and biggest name of the bunch. But it deserves the hype. It's a lager (which most commercial beers are, such as Bud and Heinekin), but it delivers more flavor. It's a good first step into the world of more unique beers.

Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout - $3 (12 ounces)
The classic oatmeal stout: soft and creamy, with just a touch of roasted bitterness, like the soft poke of feathers in a down pillow. A meal in a bottle! Dark as root beer. Really rich and smooth. Goes down easier than you expect, kind of like Guinness. You don't need dinner when you've got a bottle of this in front of you.
Allagash White
The Portland, Maine-based Allagash makes a lot of excellent, wheat-heavy Belgian beers, and this is their flagship: light and bubbly with a beguiling spice mix no one has been able to guess.

Anchor Christmas Ale
Anchor has changed their Christmas Ale recipe every season since 1975 (along with their label design), but they hew pretty close to a classic, festive cold-weather brew: rich and fruity with subtle spice. Last year's had notes of vanilla and cinnamon.

Anchor Steam
The one and only true example of this unique style, Anchor's Steam Beer is a lager in name only. Fermented at higher temperatures than your typical lager, it keeps the style's crisp dryness but adds fruity esters and extra hops.

BrewDog Smokehead
The two Scots behind BrewDog look outside their homeland's long but languid beer traditions for the inspiration here, storing a pitch-black stout in smokey Scotch barrels to give it an outrageously salty, earthy tang.

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
Dark stouts usually have hints of cocoa to them already, so the trick with chocolate beers is subtlety. Brooklyn nails it: Not too sweet, not too bitter, but chocolatey enough to make it special.

Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron
Drink this one for its story, as much as for its taste: Dogfish Head's Sam Caglione traveled to the wilds of Paraguay to find one of the hardest, heaviest woods on earth and used it in a tank built to age just this beer. The dark, extra-strong brown ale gets an added kick of vanilla from the wood's unique oils.

Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse
Fritz Briem's is Berlin's take on wheat beer: yeasty and super-carbonated but with a uniquely tart, bright finish, making it the perfect summer beer (with no need for a pansy-ass lemon slice).

Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold
Richer, hoppier, and maltier than standard American lagers-or even German ones-but crisp enough to be your new go-to session beer. (Note to non-beer nerds, a session beer is usually one that's light in alcohol, allowing you to drink several different ones during the course of an evening. Or day.) Dortmunders are tough to find even in the homeland, but thankfully craft breweries like Great Lakes are making them common fare around here.

Hitachino Lacto Stout
Skip Hitachino's more common lemonade-y wheat beer and seek out this harder-to-find stout, made with milk sugar for extra creaminess and a slightly sour, Hershey-bar-like kick.

Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout
One of the best examples of a notoriously tricky style, this one tastes more like the foam of a cappuccino than the espresso, which is to say light, smooth, and just sweet enough to balance the stout's natural bitterness.

Leelanau Whaleback White
Leelanau is the side project of Ron Jeffries, who also brews at Jolly Pumpkin. Their wheat beer is cidery, sour, fruity, and extra dry, thanks to aging with wild yeasts in French oak barrels.

Lion Stout
If you only have one Sri Lankan stout before you kick, make it this one. Creamy and bittersweet, with a rich tan head and notes of fruit. Plus, it comes in cans-perfect for spicing up your next barbecue.

Ommegang Hennepin
Earthy yeast plus lemon and clove in a supremely drinkable amber body. This is the best American saison there is.

Oskar Blues Dales Pale Ale
Packed with tons of citrus from a heavy dose of American hops, this is the quintessential stateside IPA.

Oskar Blues Old Chub
Thick, sweet, and insanely malty; ruby-red, light on the hops, and heavy on the toffee notes. Old Chub outdoes all other Scottish Ales, even though it's made 4,000 miles from Glasgow.

Picobrouwerij Alvinne Melchior
Melchior is a solid English-style barleywine-strong, sweet, and malty, with notes of rich, dark fruit-but the extra kick from an infusion of mustard seeds pushes it into mad-science territory. It's so crazy, it has to work.

Pretty Things Jack D'Or
They call this one a "Saison Americain" thanks to a heavy dose of citrusy, west-coast hops. Belgian yeasts give it a sour kick and a blend of oats and barley smooth it out.

Rodenbach Grand Cru
The classic Flemish red: funky, vinegary, and dark. A blend of one part young and two parts barrel-aged beers makes it deliciously sour with notes of boozy fruit.

Rogue Dead Guy Ale
Rogue's Dead Guy is a strong, German-style maibock-full of hearty malts with a bit of spice from Saaz hops.

The classic oatmeal stout: soft and creamy, with just a touch of roasted bitterness, like the soft poke of feathers in a down pillow.

Sierra Nevada Harvest Ale
Sierra's Harvest Ale marked a new trend for west-coast brewers when it debuted in 1996, and it's still the best of the (slightly-bigger-these-days) bunch: wet hopping, in which hops go straight from the vine to the brew kettle without being dried. They use cascade and centennial, grade-A west-coast citrus bombs, with extra earthy, grassy flavors unique to hops picked and brewed right at their prime.

Sixpoint Sweet Action
Sweet and very hoppy, with a little grass and citrus thrown in. It's mellowed a bit from the original recipe-their Double Sweet Action is closer to the roots, but harder to find.

Smuttynose Barleywine
This is one of the best barleywines around, but a bit challenging to get into. It's heavy on the caramel, and thick as syrup, like a sherry. Drink it like one, too: This is a perfect dessert beer.

Stone Imperial Russian Stout
Heavy, thick, and midnight black. Imperial is an understatement-this is a meal in a bottle. If you can find it, try it barrel-aged for an extra level of bourbony, syrupy goodness.

Stone Old Guardian
Old Guardian is a perfect entry-level barleywine. Not heavy and thick, like the more intense varieties, and with extra hops to balance the boozy, fruity malts.

Trumer Pils
Forget Pilsner Urquell-that watered-down swill has nothing on Trumer. Started in Salzburg 400 years ago but now made in the Berkeley hills, it's a radically flavorful pils, bitter and bubbly and extra dry with slight floral notes from heavy hopping.

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier
Cloudy, spicy, crisp, and tart, this might be the perfect wheat beer, and a summertime staple.

AleSmith Speedway Stout
This artisanal San Diego brewery boasts a line-up that is high in quality, and often in ABV. Speedway Stout just barely edges out their other offerings with its coffee infused richness that opens up more flavors as the beer warms.

Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye
This brewery's expansion may be built on the deserved growth of Racer 5 IPA, but you'll be greatly rewarded for tracking this down. Everything is on overdrive with huge hops, caramel malts ,and spicy rye, but the balance it maintains makes for an impressive brew.

The Bruery Saison Rue
The awards and accolades just keep coming for these young brewers. The line-up is always adventurous, but perfectly restrained rather than overt. Saison Rue is a farmhouse-style beer with hints of rye and wild yeast strains that make for a deliciously complex drink.

Cantillon Iris
The Iris is the flower of Brussels, and this annual brew is barrel-aged for two years. While it is spontaneously fermented like other Cantillon lambics, it differs in that it contains only pale malts and a portion of fresh hops (versus wheat and dried hops). It is tart but complex. Substitute this for sparkling wine and your guests will be glad you did.

De Struise Pannepot
A vintage-released Belgian Quadruple Ale that is sent forth into the world at least two years after it was brewed. The combination of flavors is compelling and rich while the carbonation keeps the heft of the beer from crushing the palate-which makes for a surprisingly easy drinking 10% ABV. An oak-aged 2008 batch is soon to be released.

Dieu du Ciel Route des Epices
This Montreal brewery is single-handedly raising the craft-brewing profile of Canada. This selection may not be their best known but it is probably their most intriguing, with its use of peppercorn. The flavoring is unmistakable, and pairs incredibly well with smoked meats.

Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA
What can we say? If the West Coast Style IPA (arguably) became the USA's contribution to the beer world and is itself an exaggerated version of the English IPA, what is the next level? How about a version boasting 18% alcohol and 120 International Bitterness Units? (Note to non-beer nerds: That's crazy bitter.) Be careful with that 12-oz. bottle.

Jolly Pumpkin La Roja
Visitors to this Dexter, Michigan, brewery could be forgiven for mistaking it for a winery. Ron Jeffries barrel-ages every release. Most batches are then blended to provide consistency, but all have wonderful tart elements that the used barrels help to impart. La Roja is a delicious sour brown ale in a line-up of excellent brews.

Marin Brewing Company IPA
In our minds, this is the quintessential interpretation of the West Coast Style IPA. The aroma, color, malt balance, and bittering are perfect and eminently drinkable. There isn't an element that overshadows another, and it's an excellent baseline by which to enjoy other IPAs.

Orval
Only one beer is made at this Trappist brewery, but that is more than enough. Orval is a worldwide classic Belgian Ale. Proprietary yeasts imparted during secondary fermentation give Orval its subtle and distinctive sourness.

Port Brewing Shark Attack Red
What started as (and still is) a small pizza chain is now a full-fledged and high-quality craft brewery. Port Brewing is also responsible for the Lost Abbey line; Shark Attack Red is their Imperial Red Ale. It's wonderfully rich and balanced by intense hopping.

Russian River Pliny the Elder
Perhaps the most well known and sought out double IPA on the planet. The reputation is well earned, as the brewers have found the magic spot between huge flavors and drinkability. This is a hop head's dream.

Saison Dupont
The style has been making a welcome comeback, and this one is probably the best known progenitor. Saisons are traditionally delicate but flavorful, complex but not overt. They are excellent beers for food pairing, and Saison Dupont is the perfect match for a huge range of flavors.

Schneider Aventinus
Consistently recognized as one of the top beers in the world, Aventinus is a wheat doppelbock with flavors of bread, caramel, and fruit, and a slightly bitter finish. And the carbonation level makes it a very drinkable 8%. A classic.

Westvleteren Abt 12
This Trappist beer is available only at the source and there are strict limits as to how much one can purchase. The monks only make enough to run the monastery. Its difficulty to obtain aside (but not discounted), "Westy" 12 is widely considered one of the best in the world, and is often aged for several years.

Harviestoun Old Engine Oil
Yep, it's the color of old engine oil. (Is there not a manlier name for a beer?) And, while we haven't actually tasted old engine oil, we're going to say that it tastes nothing like it. A perfect balance of roasted coffee flavor and chocolate, with a slightly bitter finish. For a heavy beer it's surprisingly drinkable.

Great Divide Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout
This medium- to full-bodied brew first hits you with a huge toasty espresso taste and then with a bitter, hoppy finish. The Colorado-based Great Divide recommends drinking it for breakfast, but with a cloying high 9.5% ABV you'll need to take a nap for lunch.

Double Mountain Black Irish Stout
Why do we import Guinness when we have this right here? Brewed in Oregon, this has that creaminess you love in Guinness, but with real flavor-pleasantly roasty, with a hint of dark-chocolate bitterness.

Samuel Adams Utopias
It's hard to call this a beer because it has no carbonation, has the consistency of brandy, is best sipped from a nosing glass, and, oh yeah, it costs $150 for a 24-oz. bottle. But it's worth a taste if you come across it at a bar: complexly sweet, like a port.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier
We can't pronounce it either, but don't let that keep you from drinking it. Simply ask for it at your finer beer store or bar as "that German Smoke Beer," and they'll most likely bring you this: a beer made with malt toasted over an open fire that gives it a pleasantly smoky flavor-like liquid BBQ.

Russian River Valley Brewing Co. Beatification
Perhaps the wildest American Wild Ale out there. Mouth-puckeringly sour, funky like a barnyard, with a little bit of oak (it's aged in barrels). Beatification is a super-intense beer that you will either hate or become addicted to.

Monk's Café Flemish Sour Ale
This is like drinking a Sour Patch Kid. Light, with a pleasant, palate-cleansing sourness, it's the perfect partner to a pile of Belgian frites and mussels. Or anything you want to eat a whole bucket of.

Reaper16
04-24-2010, 06:30 AM
I've actually only had 37 of the beers on the list.

This is a weird list, too. Full of good choices. It was written, though, by someone who has completely ignored Midwestern (and Southeastern) beer.

NewChief
04-24-2010, 06:33 AM

This is a weird list, too. Full of good choices. It was written, though, by someone who has completely ignored Midwestern (and Southeastern) beer.

True. No Boulevard at all is a crime. I've only had 9 of those beers. I was huge into beer in college when the whole microbrew craze went mainstream (1992-1996), but I've since given myself over to cheap beer and expensive whiskey/wine.

Reaper16
04-24-2010, 03:28 PM
Bump.

Buck
04-24-2010, 03:42 PM
Does someone want to send me a 6 pack of some Boulevard?

I've heard so much about it but never seen it available to purchase.

Reaper16
04-24-2010, 03:45 PM

I'd definitely do a beer trade with you. PM me if you wanna'.

cabletech94
04-24-2010, 03:47 PM

freeloader?

j/k man. i'm almost having too much fun with the tags!!!!
if I wasn't so cheap I'd send you 2 6 packs.

HonestChieffan
04-24-2010, 03:52 PM
True. No Boulevard at all is a crime. I've only had 9 of those beers. I was huge into beer in college when the whole microbrew craze went mainstream (1992-1996), but I've since given myself over to cheap beer and expensive whiskey/wine.

Try Bernheim Bourbon. $40 range, smooth. excellent. Made from Wheat.

Buck
04-24-2010, 04:22 PM
Damn, they dont have Pliny the Elder at Bevmo, which you guys probably don't have out there.

Check www.bevmo.com

They literally have 1,000s of different kinds of beers, wines, and liquors in their stores.

I'm going tonight I'm going to get a 4 pack of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout.

noa
04-24-2010, 04:28 PM
That Dogfish Head 120 Minute will kick your ass and knock your sister up.

Buck
04-24-2010, 05:20 PM
Sorry Reaper, they didn't have any of the Pliny the Elder at BevMo.

I ended up buying the Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout (4pk), a 6pk of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat, and I saw a bottle of something called Banana Bread Beer, so I decided I'd try it out.

BigChiefFan
04-24-2010, 05:22 PM
After our 2nd round, I might need to try all 50 this evening.

Reaper16
04-24-2010, 05:23 PM
Sorry Reaper, they didn't have any of the Pliny the Elder at BevMo.

I ended up buying the Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout (4pk), a 6pk of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat, and I saw a bottle of something called Banana Bread Beer, so I decided I'd try it out.
It'll be at every other liquor store and Whole Foods. Anyway, there's always something else I could have asked from you. Specific beers from AleSmith or Lost Abbey, for example.

Buck
04-24-2010, 05:24 PM
They had a bunch of AleSmith stuff there. I'll check out wholefoods next time I'm there.

On this Oatmeal Stout, I'm assuming I shouldn't drink it completely chilled.

What do you think?

Fish
04-24-2010, 05:25 PM
Buddy brought over some Pliny the Elder a few weeks ago. Very good ale. I had no idea it was hard to find though. I'll have to ask where he got it..

Reaper16
04-24-2010, 05:41 PM
They had a bunch of AleSmith stuff there. I'll check out wholefoods next time I'm there.

On this Oatmeal Stout, I'm assuming I shouldn't drink it completely chilled.

What do you think?
Its fine out of the fridge. It will warm up in the glass. Stouts (not Imperial Stouts) are actually pretty light.

irishjayhawk
04-25-2010, 04:31 PM
I've had quite a few on the list but not near 27. I picked up Hennepin and Dead Guy Ale for tonight.

Having said that, I was weary about Hennepin because of my apathy towards Three Philosophers. It was a big gulp of meh.

So, hopefully it lives up.

And Boulevard's Imperial Stout and Rye on Rye would probably be on my list.

Reaper16
04-25-2010, 04:35 PM
I've had quite a few on the list but not near 27. I picked up Hennepin and Dead Guy Ale for tonight.

Having said that, I was weary about Hennepin because of my apathy towards Three Philosophers. It was a big gulp of meh.

So, hopefully it lives up.

And Boulevard's Imperial Stout and Rye on Rye would probably be on my list.
37. Don't short change me. :p

Zebedee DuBois
04-25-2010, 04:58 PM
I can't really argue with anything on the list, although a couple that I've tasted didn't necessarily strike me as extraordinary.

I think the list is remiss in omitting Ayinger's Celebrator Double Bock. If there is a finer double bock out there, I look forward to tasting it.

prhom
04-25-2010, 05:01 PM
I'm a little biased because I love them so much, but I think a list of 50 beers to try should include all the Belgian trappist beers. Especially if their going to include 9 different varieties of stout.

Reaper, that's impressive that you've had 37 of those. I usually try to get different beers whenever I can and I don't think I could even buy 37 of those beers at the store. I don't even think I could hit that at the Great American Beer Festival. Well done!

Reaper16
04-25-2010, 06:16 PM
I can't really argue with anything on the list, although a couple that I've tasted didn't necessarily strike me as extraordinary.

I think the list is remiss in omitting Ayinger's Celebrator Double Bock. If there is a finer double bock out there, I look forward to tasting it.
Celebrator is fantastic. I do like a couple other dopplebocks as much: Andechser Dopplebock Dunkel and Tucher Bajuvator Dopplebock.

irishjayhawk
04-25-2010, 06:40 PM
I'm a little biased because I love them so much, but I think a list of 50 beers to try should include all the Belgian trappist beers. Especially if their going to include 9 different varieties of stout.

Reaper, that's impressive that you've had 37 of those. I usually try to get different beers whenever I can and I don't think I could even buy 37 of those beers at the store. I don't even think I could hit that at the Great American Beer Festival. Well done!

Don't commend a law breaker.

NewChief
04-25-2010, 06:46 PM
Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout and the Nut Brown Ale were pretty much my beers of choice back in my good beer days. Love both of them. The Taddy Porter is good, too. Hell, all of their beers are good. The weird thing was when I went to England, I thought that I'd run into Samuel Smith on tap everywhere, but lots of people hadn't even heard of the beer.

chiefzilla1501
04-25-2010, 06:51 PM
I know it's not outstanding, but I still swear by Fat Tire and am pissed that it doesn't seem to be available on the east coast.

irishjayhawk
04-25-2010, 06:53 PM
Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout and the Nut Brown Ale were pretty much my beers of choice back in my good beer days. Love both of them. The Taddy Porter is good, too. Hell, all of their beers are good. The weird thing was when I went to England, I thought that I'd run into Samuel Smith on tap everywhere, but lots of people hadn't even heard of the beer.

Better than going to England and asking the barman for thirty "Irish Car Bombs".

Unaware it might be, umm, tactless.

BigVE
04-25-2010, 06:58 PM
Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier
Cloudy, spicy, crisp, and tart, this might be the perfect wheat beer, and a summertime staple.

Tried this one for the first time a couple of weeks ago...LOVED it. It tasted great and had no bitter aftertaste like many of the German beers. Top notch beer.

KCwolf
04-25-2010, 07:08 PM
Dead Guy Ale is fantastic. But Mac N' Jac's from Seattle is $$ - suprised it missed this list.

prhom
04-25-2010, 08:02 PM
Better than going to England and asking the barman for thirty "Irish Car Bombs".

Unaware it might be, umm, tactless.

So I have to ask, what do they call them? Just so I don't make the same mistake!

Toadkiller
04-25-2010, 08:04 PM
Bah, no abyss!

irishjayhawk
04-25-2010, 09:08 PM
So I have to ask, what do they call them? Just so I don't make the same mistake!

Unfortunately, I'm smarter than the person in question (read: it wasn't me) and didn't find out an answer to that question (which I asked).

Reaper16
04-25-2010, 10:43 PM
Bah, no abyss!
No list of 50 beers is going to be complete. I could make a list of 25-50 beers that I'd say are must-try for most beer styles, let alone a list that incorporates all beers.

Toadkiller
04-25-2010, 10:49 PM
I just figured a beer that was at the top of BA and now at #4 would be on there. It is an amazing beer.

Over-Head
04-25-2010, 10:51 PM
Didn't see
Keiths
http://www.keiths.ca/

or
Moosehead
http://www.moosehead.ca/

on the list :grr:

Ming the Merciless
04-26-2010, 01:51 AM
For all of the stouts they have they do not have my favorite:

Anderson Valley Oatmeal Stout (Barney Flats)

(On tap is best of course)

http://www.avbc.com/beers/barney-flats-oatmeal-stout/

Third Eye
04-26-2010, 02:08 AM
This list reminds me that I need to pick up some Aventinus, it has been too long.

MichaelH
04-26-2010, 03:50 AM

I live in the Southeast and have to ask, what Southeast beer should be on that list? I've had a few and they are average compared to the other microbrewers. Maybe they will catch on eventually but it still is Bud and Coors around here.

crazycoffey
04-26-2010, 05:08 AM
where's this one at?

XXXshogunXXX
04-26-2010, 05:52 AM
Ommegang Hennepin
Redenbach Grand Cru
Stone Old Guardian
Trumer Pils
AleSmith Speedway Stout
Cantillon Iris
The Bruery Saison Rue

Ive had all these, probably some on the list ive had at a festival but was random

If I can remember, the ommengang, wasnt too good, not really a porter, not really a stout, just dark.

of all these, I think id go cantillon iris, too bad it goes for about $30 a bottle.
then maybe pliny the younger, the elder is a dime a dozen and shouldnt be on the list.

my favorite should be on here, oude guize

noa
04-26-2010, 07:09 AM
For all of the stouts they have they do not have my favorite:

Anderson Valley Oatmeal Stout (Barney Flats)

(On tap is best of course)

http://www.avbc.com/beers/barney-flats-oatmeal-stout/

I agree 100%. They definitely should have included that.

Reaper16
04-26-2010, 09:28 AM
I just figured a beer that was at the top of BA and now at #4 would be on there. It is an amazing beer.
It should be on there, especially over average stuff like Dale's Pale Ale. I love The Abyss (though I may like Deschutes' other wax-capped dark beer, Black Butte XX/XXI even more).

Reaper16
04-26-2010, 09:37 AM
Ommegang Hennepin
Redenbach Grand Cru
Stone Old Guardian
Trumer Pils
AleSmith Speedway Stout
Cantillon Iris
The Bruery Saison Rue

Ive had all these, probably some on the list ive had at a festival but was random

If I can remember, the ommengang, wasnt too good, not really a porter, not really a stout, just dark.

of all these, I think id go cantillon iris, too bad it goes for about $30 a bottle.
then maybe pliny the younger, the elder is a dime a dozen and shouldnt be on the list.

my favorite should be on here, oude guize
Dime a dozen? Fuck that. Elder is a world-class beer. Best of the imperial IPA style that I've ever had (and I've had, like, all of them except for Pliny the Younger).

That Ommegang beer, Hennepin, is a farmhouse ale. A weird one too; it tries to be both a saison and a biere de garde at the same time. I don't really care for it.

I can get bottles of 2005 Cantillon Iris for around $13 here in KC. $30 seems crazy expensive to me.

NewChief
04-26-2010, 10:02 AM
It should be on there, especially over average stuff like Dale's Pale Ale. I love The Abyss (though I may like Deschutes' other wax-capped dark beer, Black Butte XX/XXI even more).

Love me some Deschutes... though I've only had the stuff available in six packs. The Black Butte Porter is delicious.

Shag
04-26-2010, 01:58 PM
It'll be at every other liquor store and Whole Foods. Anyway, there's always something else I could have asked from you. Specific beers from AleSmith or Lost Abbey, for example.

Is there a Pliny the Elder trade being orchestrated? I've been trying to get my hands on some of that for a long time. Would love to get in on a trade for that...

I picked up some Lost Abbey over the weekend when I was in the Chicago area for Dark Lord Day. I grabbed 750s of 10 Commandments and Inferno Ale - looking forward to trying them. We went a bit nuts in a Binny's and walked out with about $300 in beer, lol.

Simply Red
04-26-2010, 02:00 PM
No thanks, I don't drink.

Reaper16
04-26-2010, 02:06 PM
Is there a Pliny the Elder trade being orchestrated? I've been trying to get my hands on some of that for a long time. Would love to get in on a trade for that...

I picked up some Lost Abbey over the weekend when I was in the Chicago area for Dark Lord Day. I grabbed 750s of 10 Commandments and Inferno Ale - looking forward to trying them. We went a bit nuts in a Binny's and walked out with about $300 in beer, lol.

Buck was gonna' hook me up with some but he didn't find any at the one place he went to. Its OK though; I trade for Pliny all the time. I got 5 bottles in last week.

Which reminds me: I need to trade for a bottle of 2010 Dark Lord.

Shag
04-26-2010, 02:11 PM
Buck was gonna' hook me up with some but he didn't find any at the one place he went to. Its OK though; I trade for Pliny all the time. I got 5 bottles in last week.

Which reminds me: I need to trade for a bottle of 2010 Dark Lord.

What'cha got? We got screwed on bottle quantity at DLD (which was SO poorly run), so I didn't end up with as much DL as I'd planned. Haven't decided if I want to give up any in a trade yet or not...

Simply Red
04-26-2010, 02:17 PM
back when I drank, I really liked Bison Organic - belgian ale.

Reaper16
04-26-2010, 02:20 PM
What'cha got? We got screwed on bottle quantity at DLD (which was SO poorly run), so I didn't end up with as much DL as I'd planned. Haven't decided if I want to give up any in a trade yet or not...

I'm not sure what I could offer you, actually. Minneapolis peeps are the hardest people for me, as a Kansas Citian, to trade with because we pretty much get the exact same distribution. Its the only reason that I haven't been able to trade for Surly Darkness before. All the bigs guns that I could pull out are available to MN.

The Franchise
04-26-2010, 02:24 PM
Where's the Corona?

Reaper16
04-26-2010, 02:26 PM
Where's the Corona?
I put it in the cooler along with the neg rep. Lemme' grab a couple for ya'.

Shag
04-26-2010, 09:21 PM

Deschutes just started distributing in MN a few weeks ago, which is awesome. We're also getting Great Lakes and Odell starting in May. Excited to have some new brews from great breweries around...

irishjayhawk
04-26-2010, 10:40 PM
Odell is meh.

Taco John
04-26-2010, 11:18 PM
It's a crime that Rogue's Smoke Ale is not on this list.

Miles
04-26-2010, 11:21 PM
Odell is meh.

Most of their stuff is fairly mainstream in style but I really like 5 Barrel as an alternative to Fat Tire. 90 Schilling and Levity are also solid beers.

Taco John
04-26-2010, 11:22 PM
Also, Anchor Steam is bum piss, along with MOST Califonia brewed beers.

Miles
04-26-2010, 11:23 PM
It's a crime that Rogue's Smoke Ale is not on this list.

There are plenty that are missing but it's the same with any list like this. Such as, nothing from St. Bernardus?

At least these types of lists generate discussion and give me new names of beers to try.

Jenson71
04-26-2010, 11:24 PM
I hardly ever drink beer, but I do plan on getting a bottle of Carlsberg beer next time I'm at Old Chicago. My dad went to the original plant where they make it in Copenhagan (maybe it's the only place they make it at, but I don't know) and he really liked it.

Taco John
04-26-2010, 11:27 PM
I know it's not outstanding, but I still swear by Fat Tire and am pissed that it doesn't seem to be available on the east coast.

Fat Tire is one of the most overrated beers I've ever come across. I thought it was unique and interesting when it first came out, but that wore off quickly. I'll drink it if someone brings it over, but I'm not a fan of New Belgian Company brews.

Taco John
04-26-2010, 11:28 PM
There are plenty that are missing but it's the same with any list like this. Such as, nothing from St. Bernardus?

At least these types of lists generate discussion and give me new names of beers to try.

If you can get your hands on Widmer '10 (Pitch Black IPA), that is one fine damn beer.

http://www.widmer.com/images/w10_top.jpg

Miles
04-26-2010, 11:30 PM
I hardly ever drink beer, but I do plan on getting a bottle of Carlsberg beer next time I'm at Old Chicago. My dad went to the original plant where they make it in Copenhagan (maybe it's the only place they make it at, but I don't know) and he really liked it.

It is a solid, smoothing drinking Euro lager similar to Czechvar and Stella.

Miles
04-26-2010, 11:33 PM
If you can get your hands on Widmer '10 (Pitch Black IPA), that is one fine damn beer.

http://www.widmer.com/images/w10_top.jpg

I will keep an eye out for it. If they export to Colorado I might be able to find some. Love the Rouge stuff I have tried on my own and hovered around their stand at the Great American Beer Fest for a while.

Miles
04-26-2010, 11:37 PM
Fat Tire is one of the most overrated beers I've ever come across. I thought it was unique and interesting when it first came out, but that wore off quickly. I'll drink it if someone brings it over, but I'm not a fan of New Belgian Company brews.

Mostly agree there. It was one of the first micro ish beers to make it big nationally so it's reputation is inflated. I sometimes order one at bars but haven't bought any at the store in a long while.

I much prefer Abby and 1554 to Fat Tire from New Belgian. Their Mighty Arrow is also a solid beer.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-26-2010, 11:38 PM
Fuck that list for not having the greatest beer of all time on it. Alaskan Amber.

http://beerandmicrobrews.com/alaskan-amber.jpg

irishjayhawk
04-26-2010, 11:54 PM

Blasphemy! Anchor Steam is delicious.

Mostly agree there. It was one of the first micro ish beers to make it big nationally so it's reputation is inflated. I sometimes order one at bars but haven't bought any at the store in a long while.

I much prefer Abby and 1554 to Fat Tire from New Belgian. Their Mighty Arrow is also a solid beer.

1554 is vastly superior to Fat Tire.

NewChief
04-27-2010, 04:59 AM
Odell is meh.

I like Odell's 90 Schilling, Isolation Ale and Bobby.

Shag
04-27-2010, 07:39 AM

Agreed on St. Bernardus - they make fantastic beers. Abt 12 is one of my personal favorites of all time...

XXXshogunXXX
04-27-2010, 07:47 AM

no way, california has some of the best brewerys

russian river
pizza port
alesmith
ballast point
lost abbey
bear republic
alpine beer co
the bruery
and I guess.. stone

Reaper16
04-27-2010, 07:50 AM

russian river
pizza port
alesmith
ballast point
lost abbey
bear republic
alpine beer co
the bruery
and I guess.. stone
Yes. Exactly.

GTFO, Taco, if you really believe that most CA beer is "bum piss."

Shag
04-27-2010, 07:52 AM

russian river
pizza port
alesmith
ballast point
lost abbey
bear republic
alpine beer co
the bruery
and I guess.. stone

I think I just found my new supplier of CA beers... :D

irishjayhawk
04-27-2010, 09:21 AM
I like Odell's 90 Schilling, Isolation Ale and Bobby.

Schilling was okay. I didn't get to try Isolation Ale but that clearly looked like their best one.

Levity was awful.

Toadkiller
04-27-2010, 09:31 AM
My sister lives right near the bruery, that place is doing some amazing beers. And russian River is knocking shit out of the ball park, their stuff is innovative and great.

Simply Red
04-27-2010, 10:15 AM
I can't believe nobody followed up on my superior suggestion of 'Bison Organic'

YOU ALL CAN STICK IT UP YOUR COLLECTIVE 'BEER TASTING' ASSES.

:eek:

Reaper16
04-27-2010, 12:09 PM
So.. what's everybody's favorite beer styles?

Mine:
1.) Saison/Farmhouse Ale
2.) American IPA
3.) Imperial Stout (American & European)

phisherman
04-27-2010, 12:32 PM

Mine:
1.) Saison/Farmhouse Ale
2.) American IPA

I love a good saison; probably my current favorite.

I really like American IPA too, but have been taking a break from there for a while. If I could get my hands on some Pliny the Elder, then perhaps I would break my abstention.

ModSocks
04-27-2010, 12:49 PM
MGD & Corona lol.

Seriously though, i wish i had that acquired taste for beer, but i just dont. All of these names make me want to drink them. I dont like that strong Ale taste and prefer the taste of Corona over any department store beer.

Knowing that Corona w/ lime is my favorite, what would you recommend that I try that i may like?

Fish
04-27-2010, 12:51 PM
MGD & Corona lol.

Seriously though, i wish i had that acquired taste for beer, but i just dont. All of these names make me want to drink them. I dont like that strong Ale taste and prefer the taste of Corona over any department store beer.

Knowing that Corona w/ lime is my favorite, what would you recommend that I try that i may like?

Cat urine.

Shag
04-27-2010, 01:06 PM

Mine:
1.) Saison/Farmhouse Ale
2.) American IPA

Tough call...

- Belgian tripel/quad (I love just about any Belgian style)
- Oktoberfest
- Maibock
- American IPA

The only style I really dislike is Hefeweizen - taste like bandaids, lol.

ModSocks
04-27-2010, 01:09 PM
Cat urine.

I knew that was coming. I was going to write, "no smart ass comments about my taste in beer" but i....fuck it...I should've known...it's CP

Reaper16
04-27-2010, 01:49 PM
I knew that was coming. I was going to write, "no smart ass comments about my taste in beer" but i....fuck it...I should've known...it's CP
Honestly, there is no style of non-adjunct lager that I can recommend to someone who enjoys Corona. I suppose you could look into American Pale Wheat beers for their light, zippy citrus tones that play off of tangy wheat. In your area you can easily find: Sam Adams Summer Ale, Pyramid Hefeweizen, North Coast Blue Star Great American Wheat Beer, Anchor Summer Beer, Widmir Hefeweizen, among others.

Reaper16
04-27-2010, 02:08 PM
I would like to post for you all the contents of my beer fridge & beer cellar. I am but a poor college student, so it isn't all that impressive. But still:
Beer Fridge:<o></o>
IPA/Imperial IPA:<o></o>
1x Mikkeller 1000 IBU<o></o>
1x Mikkeller Nelson Sauvin Single Hop IPA<o></o>
1x Stone Cali-Belgique IPA<o></o>
1x Russian River Pliny the Elder<o></o>
3x Oskar Blues GUBNA<o></o>
<o></o>
Strong Ale/Barleywine:<o></o>
1x 2010 Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine<o></o>
1x 2010 Founders Nemesis (Wheatwine)<o></o>
1x Stone Sublimely-Self Righteous Ale (strong ale)<o></o>
<o></o>
Stout/Imperial Stout:<o></o>
1xBeer Here Dark Hops (hoppy stout)<o></o>
1x 2010 Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout<o></o>
3x Great Lakes Blackout Stout <o></o>
<o></o>
Belgian Styles:<o></o>
1x 2010 Boulevard [Smokestack Series Limited-Release] Bourbon Barrel Quad (quadruple)<o></o>
1x Boulevard [Smokestack Series Limited-Release] Collaboration No. 1 (Imperial Pilsner w/ Jon-Marie Rock of Orval monestary/brewery)<o></o>
1x Boulevard [Smokestack Series] Saison<o></o>
1x Boulevard [Smokestack Series] Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale (saison)<o></o>
1x Jolly Pumpkin Bam Noire (saison)<o></o>
1x Goose Island Sofie (saison)<o></o>
<o></o>
German Styles:<o></o>
2x Boulevard Boss Tom’s Golden Bock<o></o>
<o></o>
Beer Cellar:<o></o>
<o></o>
Imperial Stout:<o></o>
10x Boulevard [Smokestack Series] Dark Truth Stout<o></o>
2x Boulevard [Smokestack Series Limited-Release] Imperial Stout<o></o>
2x 2009 Deschutes The Abyss (imperial stout)<o></o>
1x Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Stout<o></o>
1x 2008 Schlafly Reserve Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout<o></o>
1x 2009 Oskar Blues Ten FIDY Imperial Stout<o></o>
2x 2010 Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout<o></o>
1x 2009 Founders Imperial Stout
1x 2008 Bell’s Expedition Stout<o></o>
1x 2008 Stone Imperial Russian Stout<o></o>
<o></o><o></o>
Strong Ale/Barleywine:<o></o>
5x 2009 Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine<o></o>
5x 2010 Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine<o></o>
3x 2010 Founders Nemesis (wheatwine)<o></o>
1x Boulevard [Smokestack Series] Harvest Dance Wheatwine<o></o>
1x Boulevard [Smokestack Series Limited Release] Rye-on-Rye (ryewine)<o></o>
1x Hair of the Dog Fred (barleywine)<o></o>
1x 2009 Hair of the Dog Doggie Claws (barleywine)<o></o>
1x East End Brewing Gratitude (barleywine)<o></o>
5x Bell’s Batch 9000 Ale (strong ale)<o></o>
1x 2010 Stone Old Guardian Barleywine<o></o>
1x Port Old Viscosity (strong ale)<o></o>
<o></o>
Saison/Farmhouse Ale:<o></o>
5x 2009 Boulevard [Smokestack Series Limited Release] Saison-Brett<o></o>
1x New Glarus Imperial Saison<o></o>
1x Lost Abbey Red Barn Farmhouse Ale<o></o>
1x The Bruery Saison de Lente<o></o>
1x The Bruery Saison Rue<o></o>
1x Dupont Avec Les Bons Voeux<o></o>
2x Fantome Belgian Saison<o></o>
2x Fantome Saison D'Erezée - Hiver<o></o>
1x Fantome BBB Dark White<o></o>
<o></o>
Belgian styles:<o></o>
1x 2010 Boulevard [Smokestack Series Limited Release] Bourbon Barrel Quad<o></o>
1x Russian River Damnation (Belgian strong pale ale)<o></o>
<o></o>
Wild Ale/Sour Beer:<o></o>
1x Russian River Consecration (wild ale)<o></o>
1x Russian River Temptation (wild ale)<o></o>
1x Victory WildDevil (Belgian IPA w/ Brettonomyces)<o></o>
1x Goose Island Juliet (wild ale)<o></o>
<o></o>
Porter:<o></o>
1x 2009 Deschutes Black Butte XXI (imperial porter)<o></o>
1x 2009 Alaskan Smoked Porter<o></o>
1x Stone Vertical Epic 09.09.09 (Belgian imperial porter)<o></o>
1x New Glarus Olde English Porter<o></o>
<o></o>
Fruit beer:<o></o>
1x New Glarus Raspberry Tart
1x New Glarus Belgian Red<o></o>
1x Dogfish Head Fort<o></o>
<o></o><o></o>
Miscellaneous:<o></o>
1x 2006 Deschutes Jubilale (winter warmer)<o></o>
1x 2010 Bell’s HopSlam<o></o>

Reaper16
04-27-2010, 02:15 PM
Oh, snap. I forgot to list the 1x Avery Black Tot (imperial stout aged in rum barrels. Only 350 cases made).

EDIT: Holy crap. I've never counted how many beers I have at my house before. I have 101 bottles of beer in my home right now. Sheesh.

Simply Red
04-27-2010, 02:21 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/rkvp00.jpg

Simply Red
04-27-2010, 02:22 PM
EDIT: Holy crap. I've never counted how many beers I have at my house before. I have 101 bottles of beer in my home right now. Sheesh.

you should get real liquored up and go shoot something.

NewChief
04-27-2010, 02:24 PM
Oh, snap. I forgot to list the 1x Avery Black Tot (imperial stout aged in rum barrels. Only 350 cases made).

See... I'd have a party and they'd end up all getting drank in one night by me and my guests. That's why I let my wife control the wine cellar.

Reaper16
04-27-2010, 02:35 PM
you should get real liquored up and go shoot something.

See... I'd have a party and they'd end up all getting drank in one night by me and my guests. That's why I let my wife control the wine cellar.

I hate, absolutely hate, getting drunk. I rarely have more than one beer a day.

irishjayhawk
04-27-2010, 02:37 PM

I'll have more than one but I too hate being drunk. Mainly for the loss of feeling in control but I do appreciate a buzz every once in a while.

irishjayhawk
04-27-2010, 02:39 PM
Also, Reaper, I hate you. Your beer list is incredible. Where do you find people to trade with?

Reaper16
04-27-2010, 02:43 PM
Also, Reaper, I hate you. Your beer list is incredible. Where do you find people to trade with?
Ah, so you noticed that like half of the beers on that list are from breweries that don't distribute to the KC area. Heh-heh. I set up all my trades with posters on BeerAdvocate.com.

irishjayhawk
04-27-2010, 02:47 PM
Ah, so you noticed that like half of the beers on that list are from breweries that don't distribute to the KC area. Heh-heh. I set up all my trades with posters on BeerAdvocate.com.

Better question: how do you decide what to drink? I mean if you only have one of something, you might not drink it for a while because it'll be your last for a while...

Reaper16
04-27-2010, 02:52 PM
Better question: how do you decide what to drink? I mean if you only have one of something, you might not drink it for a while because it'll be your last for a while...
Well, I age the beers that will benefit from aging. Anything hoppy gets consumed immediately.

When do I pull something out of the cellar to enjoy? Usually I do it with one or two friends. I love sharing these beers as much as I love drinking them myself.

ModSocks
04-27-2010, 02:53 PM
Honestly, there is no style of non-adjunct lager that I can recommend to someone who enjoys Corona. I suppose you could look into American Pale Wheat beers for their light, zippy citrus tones that play off of tangy wheat. In your area you can easily find: Sam Adams Summer Ale, Pyramid Hefeweizen, North Coast Blue Star Great American Wheat Beer, Anchor Summer Beer, Widmir Hefeweizen, among others.

Thank you.

As a beer hobbyist, why is there so much hate for my beloved Corona? Out here, it's a very common beer. I dont meet many that dont like it. but whenever i mention it on this forum, people act like it's awful.

I know nothing about beer. Just know what tastes good IMO. What is your opinion on Corona and why is it so disliked? Like i said, out here, to the average joe, it's a great beer.

NewChief
04-27-2010, 02:55 PM
Thank you.

As a beer hobbyist, why is there so much hate for my beloved Corona? Out here, it's a very common beer. I dont meet many that dont like it. but whenever i mention it on this forum, people act like it's awful.

I know nothing about beer. Just know what tastes good IMO. What is your opinion on Corona and why is it so disliked? Like i said, out here, to the average joe, it's a great beer.

It's probably because it (and most popular beers) are fairly watery and diluted in flavor. It's like asking a lover of hot sauce what he thinks about ketchup.

irishjayhawk
04-27-2010, 02:55 PM
Well, I age the beers that will benefit from aging. Anything hoppy gets consumed immediately.

When do I pull something out of the cellar to enjoy? Usually I do it with one or two friends. I love sharing these beers as much as I love drinking them myself.

So I should probably go buy another Goose Island bourbon County Stout and age it....

Reaper16
04-27-2010, 03:00 PM
So I should probably go buy another Goose Island bourbon County Stout and age it....
That beer only gets better with age. When the 2009 came out my friends and I did a 4-year vertical tasting. By that I mean we drank one bottle from each year of 2006-2009. The 2006 & 2007s were Godly. All that alcohol heat is completely diminished and the barrel flavors become so well-integrated with the malts. Luxurious.

Reaper16
04-27-2010, 03:02 PM
Thank you.

For me, Corona tastes perpetually skunked. Plus it has the whole sour corn thing going on from the corn used as an adjunct. (Corona is categorized as an adjucnt lager because it uses a lot of corn and rice as adjuncts to the barley in order to produce less calories. Malted barley, water, yeast, hops are the ingredients of beer; anything else is considered an adjunct). I really just think that most adjunct lagers taste awful. The only adjunct lagers that I can stand are PBR and Schlitz.

Shag
04-27-2010, 03:18 PM
I would like to post for you all the contents of my beer fridge & beer cellar. I am but a poor college student, so it isn't all that impressive. But still:

Nice collection! Some in there I'd definitely love to try.

What's up with cellaring Hopslam, though? That won't age well...

Reaper16
04-27-2010, 03:38 PM
Nice collection! Some in there I'd definitely love to try.

What's up with cellaring Hopslam, though? That won't age well...
Its the last bottle of the case that I bought. Basically, I figure that there is enough malt content and the ABV% is high enough that it can undergo some changes with age. I think it has a chance of becoming an interesting malty beer after a year-and-a-half to two years.

Simply Red
04-27-2010, 03:50 PM

Good for you man, That's actually a VERY big talent (almost) or umm, maybe a great discipline. But whatever it is, it'll help you live longer. :thumb:

and I'd like to apologize for demonstrating my ignorance, I meant Belgian beer, not 'Belgium beer'

:facepalm:

Reaper16
04-27-2010, 06:46 PM
Good for you man, That's actually a VERY big talent (almost) or umm, maybe a great discipline. But whatever it is, it'll help you live longer. :thumb:

and I'd like to apologize for demonstrating my ignorance, I meant Belgian beer, not 'Belgium beer'

:facepalm:
I've not tried anything from Bison Brewing. I'm not sure they distribute to MO.

Jenson71
04-27-2010, 06:55 PM

Not even a good buzz?

Reaper16
04-27-2010, 06:57 PM
Not even a good buzz?
Nope. The buzz just pisses me off, usually, because it means that I need to stop drinking soon. I hate the effects of alcohol because 1.) my dad was a physically abusive alcoholic and 2.) because I simply don't like not being in full control of my mental capacities.

Jenson71
04-27-2010, 07:00 PM
Nope. The buzz just pisses me off, usually, because it means that I need to stop drinking soon. I hate the effects of alcohol because 1.) my dad was a physically abusive alcoholic and 2.) because I simply don't like not being in full control of my mental capacities.

Very understandable. And I'm sorry to hear about your dad's past.

prhom
04-27-2010, 07:31 PM

Mine:
1.) Saison/Farmhouse Ale
2.) American IPA

A few years ago I would have agreed on two out of three, but I've lost my taste for stouts. I'd have to go with:

1. Beligian trippels and dubbels
2. American IPA
3. Pilsner

KC native
04-27-2010, 08:38 PM
Gotta say my favorite style of beer is IPA. Can't say I've hit the lists here like others partly due to having a restaurant/brewery less than 5 minutes from my house and they change their beers very frequently and have 6-8 on tap and partly due to me being more partial to pot. The brewer knows his shit and won the gold medal in the world beer cup for Viena Style Lagers for 2007 (maybe 06 or 08) and just won the silver for the same beer and class.

irishjayhawk
04-27-2010, 08:43 PM
Ommegang's Hennepin was delicious and makes sense on the list but not in the top 6.

Reaper16
04-27-2010, 08:44 PM
Ommegang's Hennepin was delicious and makes sense on the list but not in the top 6.
Hennepin is pretty meh to me. Well, no, its better than that. But I never buy it; there are plenty of other saisons that I greatly prefer.

irishjayhawk
04-27-2010, 08:46 PM

Sorry to hear about #1 and completely agree about #2, though that usually happens to me when I'm drunk rather than buzzed.

That said, it is an astute observation that one should stop drinking when a buzz occurs. :)

Also, I'm curious if you rate Stouts below Imperial Stouts or just don't like such a broad category as one of your favorite styles.

Other than Tank 7 (which I love) what other Farmhouse Ales do you recommend/would be popular?

irishjayhawk
04-27-2010, 08:49 PM
Hennepin is pretty meh to me. Well, no, its better than that. But I never buy it; there are plenty of other saisons that I greatly prefer.

Weird, because I absolutely hated Boulevard's Saison. I much prefer the replacement, Tank 7.

Now, having said this about the Hennepin, I'm not sure I'd go out of my way to drink it like I would, say, Young's Double Chocolate Stout, Boulevard's Imperial Stout, Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, Seeyoulator or a bunch of seasonals from various breweries.

KC native
04-27-2010, 08:50 PM
Sorry to hear about #1 and completely agree about #2, though that usually happens to me when I'm drunk rather than buzzed.

That said, it is an astute observation that one should stop drinking when a buzz occurs. :)

Also, I'm curious if you rate Stouts below Imperial Stouts or just don't like such a broad category as one of your favorite styles.

Other than Tank 7 (which I love) what other Farmhouse Ales do you recommend/would be popular?

I love Tank 7. Only can grab it when I'm up in KC though as I haven't seen it down here in Texas yet.

Reaper16
04-27-2010, 08:52 PM

Imperial Stouts are usually more complex with a more satisfying mouthfeel. But there are some of regular stouts that I love (Sierra Nevada Stout, Rogue Shakespeare Stout come to mind).

Saisons that you should drink posthaste, available in KC: BLVD Saison-Brett, Saison Dupont, Dupont Floret Organic Saison, Goose Island Sofie, Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere. Outside KC: The Bruery Saison de Lente, The Bruery Saison Rue, Pretty Things Jack d'Or, any beer from Fantome.

irishjayhawk
04-27-2010, 08:56 PM
Imperial Stouts are usually more complex with a more satisfying mouthfeel. But there are some of regular stouts that I love (Sierra Nevada Stout, Rogue Shakespeare Stout come to mind).

Yeah, Rogue's was pretty good and I haven't tried Sierra Nevada's yet. So is Imperial Stout a style to you or a subset of Stouts in general? I just thought it curious you listed your favorite style with Imperial Stout rather than stout being that I thought Imperials were a subset. Which isn't that weird, I guess. Yeah, I'm rambling.

Saisons that you should drink posthaste, available in KC: BLVD Saison-Brett, Saison Dupont, Dupont Floret Organic Saison, Goose Island Sofie, Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere. Outside KC: The Bruery Saison de Lente, The Bruery Saison Rue, Pretty Things Jack d'Or, any beer from Fantome.

Noted.

Reaper16
04-27-2010, 09:08 PM
Yeah, Rogue's was pretty good and I haven't tried Sierra Nevada's yet. So is Imperial Stout a style to you or a subset of Stouts in general? I just thought it curious you listed your favorite style with Imperial Stout rather than stout being that I thought Imperials were a subset. Which isn't that weird, I guess. Yeah, I'm rambling.
Imperial Stout is definitely a style (and some people break it down further. On BeerAdvocate.com they distinguish between Russian Imperial Stout and American Double/Imperial Stout). Just like India Pale and Double/Imperial India Pale Ale are distinct styles and not just simply pale ales.

Shag
04-27-2010, 09:16 PM

I haven't had a ton of Saisons, but I really enjoyed the St. Feuillien Saison...

Shag
04-28-2010, 07:30 PM
Local beer store was offering a 20% off sale, so went and bought a few things:

- Deschutes Jubel 2010
- Deschutes Black Butte
- Goose Island Night Stalker
- Unibroue Maudite
- New Belgium Eric's Ale
- 21st Century Monk's Blood

Pretty good take, IMHO. I was told to try the last two by a friend, so figured I'd buy them at a discount, lol...

kregger
04-28-2010, 08:21 PM
(Sierra Nevada Stout, Rogue Shakespeare Stout come to mind).
Saisons that you should drink posthaste, available in KC: BLVD Saison-Brett, Saison Dupont, Dupont Floret Organic Saison, .Nice Stouts. I absolutely love the Shakespeare. Harviestoun Old Engine Oil is the bomb. Bell's Expedition holds up very well.
Just recently quaffed a Saison Dupont at the Foundry and was impressed. I'm not a huge Saison fan but the Saison-Brett is special. I like the farmhouse ales such as the Tank 7.
Surprised there isn't any Bell's on the list. My heroin could easily be the Hopslam.
The list obviously ignored the Upper Midwest. New Glarus has several that should be considered. I recently had a buddy from Wisconsin send me a few Sprechers. The Scotch Ale was lovely.
Damn, now I'm thirsty and all I have is Moose Drool.
Great thread BTW.

irishjayhawk
04-28-2010, 10:04 PM
Nice Stouts. I absolutely love the Shakespeare. Harviestoun Old Engine Oil is the bomb. Bell's Expedition holds up very well.
Just recently quaffed a Saison Dupont at the Foundry and was impressed. I'm not a huge Saison fan but the Saison-Brett is special. I like the farmhouse ales such as the Tank 7.
Surprised there isn't any Bell's on the list. My heroin could easily be the Hopslam.
The list obviously ignored the Upper Midwest. New Glarus has several that should be considered. I recently had a buddy from Wisconsin send me a few Sprechers. The Scotch Ale was lovely.
Damn, now I'm thirsty and all I have is Moose Drool.
Great thread BTW.

I agree, but just to clarify Old Engine Oil is not a stout.

Also, Reaper, I'm equally surprised you group Saisons and Farmhouse Ale's together whilst separating the stouts.

irishjayhawk
04-28-2010, 10:05 PM
Local beer store was offering a 20% off sale, so went and bought a few things:

- Deschutes Jubel 2010
- Deschutes Black Butte
- Goose Island Night Stalker
- Unibroue Maudite
- New Belgium Eric's Ale
- 21st Century Monk's Blood

Pretty good take, IMHO. I was told to try the last two by a friend, so figured I'd buy them at a discount, lol...

That is an awesome name for a beer. I need to get some.

Reaper16
04-28-2010, 11:39 PM
I agree, but just to clarify Old Engine Oil is not a stout.

Also, Reaper, I'm equally surprised you group Saisons and Farmhouse Ale's together whilst separating the stouts.

They're grouped together because they're the same style. Technically the style is called "Saison/Farmhouse Ale." If I wanted to go very specific, then I could tell you that there are two different styles of beer that qualify as farmhouse ale - Saison, from Belgium, and Biere de Garde, a more malty farmhouse ale style from France.

And while I'm at it, the distinct stout beer styles as recognized by the BCJP are as follows: American Stout, American Double/Imperial Stout, Foreign/Export Stout, Irish Dry Stout, Milk/Sweet Stout, Oatmeal Stout, Russian Imperial Stout

Shag
04-29-2010, 09:18 AM
That is an awesome name for a beer. I need to get some.

It's also an awesome beer...

Miles
04-29-2010, 07:46 PM
Finally getting around to trying some Boulevard Tank 7 tonight. I have had several of the Smokestack Series and for the most part loved them. Tank 7 is great stuff and I enjoyed it as much as their tripel and quad.

The guy at the beer store was also raving about Lost Abbey Red Barn but the Tank 7 was on sale for $7 so I went with it. Probably try the Lost Abbey next.

irishjayhawk
04-29-2010, 09:03 PM
Finally getting around to trying some Boulevard Tank 7 tonight. I have had several of the Smokestack Series and for the most part loved them. Tank 7 is great stuff and I enjoyed it as much as their tripel and quad.

The guy at the beer store was also raving about Lost Abbey Red Barn but the Tank 7 was on sale for $7 so I went with it. Probably try the Lost Abbey next.

Where'd you find it for $7?

Edit: Retarded, you live in Denver.

Miles
04-29-2010, 09:10 PM
Where'd you find it for $7?

Edit: Retarded, you live in Denver.

That would be a bit of a drive for a beer run.

Reaper16
04-29-2010, 09:19 PM

I've got a Lost Abbey Red Barn in the cellar. I'm currently in the beginning stages of a book-length project on Saison. I plan on drinking a shit-ton of Saison in the next three weeks to spur on my rough draft of the non-travel, non-interview/profile segments of the book. I'm talking LA Red Barn, Bruery Saison de Lente, Bruery Saison Rue, like 4 different Fantomes, Jolly Pumpkin Bam Noire, New Glarus Imperial Saison, Saison Dupont, Dupont Avec Les Bons Vuex, Boulevard Saison (now retired), Boulevard Saison-Brett, Boulevard Tank 7, maybe more.

Miles
04-29-2010, 10:14 PM
I've got a Lost Abbey Red Barn in the cellar. I'm currently in the beginning stages of a book-length project on Saison. I plan on drinking a shit-ton of Saison in the next three weeks to spur on my rough draft of the non-travel, non-interview/profile segments of the book. I'm talking LA Red Barn, Bruery Saison de Lente, Bruery Saison Rue, like 4 different Fantomes, Jolly Pumpkin Bam Noire, New Glarus Imperial Saison, Saison Dupont, Dupont Avec Les Bons Vuex, Boulevard Saison (now retired), Boulevard Saison-Brett, Boulevard Tank 7, maybe more.

Nice project. IMO it seems like Saison isn't that well know outside of the beer geek world but has slowly been getting more popular. I don't even think I tried one until a few years ago.

NewChief
04-30-2010, 04:54 AM

Just read an essay in the OA about this brewery:
http://www.fullsteam.ag/

Sounds like they have a cool philosophy and some interesting beers. Anyone familiar with it?

Saulbadguy
04-30-2010, 06:55 AM
Had one of these last night. Pretty tasty.

http://www.bearrepublic.com/images/ourbeerimages/Racer-six-pack_small.JPG

Reaper16
04-30-2010, 09:33 AM
Just read an essay in the OA about this brewery:
http://www.fullsteam.ag/

Sounds like they have a cool philosophy and some interesting beers. Anyone familiar with it?
I haven't heard of them before. It doesn't seem like they've released any beers into the market just yet. Sounds exciting though; link me to that essay if you would be so kind.

Had one of these last night. Pretty tasty.

http://www.bearrepublic.com/images/ourbeerimages/Racer-six-pack_small.JPG
Racer 5 is damn solid. Bear Republic makes another IPA called Hop Rod Rye that is probably in my top 10 favorite IPAs.

NewChief
04-30-2010, 09:56 AM
I haven't heard of them before. It doesn't seem like they've released any beers into the market just yet. Sounds exciting though; link me to that essay if you would be so kind.

I don't think it's online. Here is synopsis and title, though:
http://www.eatmedaily.com/2010/03/oxford-american-2010-southern-food-issue-adhd-edition/

"MoonPie Beer? Kudzu Beer?" is an article about a Durham, NC, brewery that emphasizes local, truly Southern ingredients. There's a little sweet-tea blasphemy there in the beginning, but don't take it personally. (Print only.)

Edit:

Actually, here's the article in its original form:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/03/24/403594/suds-straight-from-the-southern.html
Suds straight from the Southern soil
ARTICLE
COMMENTS (3)
EmailPrintOrder Reprint Share: Yahoo! Buzz Text
BY WELLS TOWER
Unless you want to see a man upset, do not ask Sean Lilly Wilson, president of the nascent Fullsteam Brewery in Durham, what he thinks of sweet tea.

"People talk about sweet tea as though it's a distinctly Southern beverage, but what is it? It's Camellia sinensis, a Chinese shrub! What's Southern about a Chinese shrub?" Wilson asks.

Wilson, 39, grew up in Pennsylvania but radiates an ardor for Southern foodways that borders on the extreme. In Fullsteam's mission "to brew farmhouse ales that celebrate the culinary and agricultural heritage of the South," Wilson and his brewer, Chris Davis, have tried, with varying results, to make beer from sweet potatoes, figs, rhubarb, pawpaws, persimmons, scuppernong grapes and, daringly, the roots, stems and flowers of kudzu vines. An emphasis on locally grown ingredients, specific to the South, is at the core of what Wilson describes as Fullsteam's "plow-to-pint" philosophy.

"As more people like me move down here, it's easy to worry about the South losing its Southernness, but at the core of Southern life is the climate, the things that grow here," Wilson says. "We're fermentation opportunists. All we're trying to do is to ferment what we farm and forage - as brewers have been doing for thousands of years - and to create a new approach to a Southern beer style."

Backed by about $1 million in investments and loans, Fullsteam aims to launch production this spring and to begin pouring pints in a taproom at the brewery, which stands on an improving block in Durham's resurgent downtown, by mid-May. Fullsteam's inaugural lineup will include a porter brewed from hickory-smoked malt, designed to complement the hickory-smoked meat of Carolina hogs; a tangy-tart Berliner-weisse fermented with locally grown rhubarb; a sweet-potato ale; and Fullsteam Carolina Common, the brewery's yeasty, crisp flagship beer, which surprisingly fulfills brewer Chris Davis's ambition "to make a beer that tastes like biscuits and fresh bread."

It is the sort of menu that might strike fear into your heart if you have been let down by syrupy, Smuckers-ish raspberry hefeweizens and blueberry ales. In the small-batch offerings available on the day of my visit to the brewery-in-progress, however, Wilson and Davis's beers were studies in graceful restraint. The pawpaw ale was devoid of gooey sweetness and broadened on the tongue into a dusky earthiness, a flavor of soil that could inspire you to eat dirt. The sweet-potato ale, in which sweet potatoes constitute 25 percent of the fermentable mash, was crisp and supple and entirely dodged the expected pumpkin-pie-spice bouquet.

"Traditional Southern food doesn't bash you over the head, and we're not trying to bash you over the head with our ingredients," Wilson says. "Just to make beers that work tastefully and subtly with Southern foods."

That said, Wilson is busy plotting future projects that hardly seem the essence of subtlety and taste, among them a stout decocted from the Southern "workingman's lunch," MoonPies and RC Cola.

"No idea if that'll work," says Wilson, who doesn't much mind that a cola-and-MoonPie beer would send the average craft-beer snoot into fits of peristalsis. "Beer is and should be a respite from connoisseurship. I'd like our beers to be a joyful celebration of the land we live on and the foods we eat. I know it sounds a little cheesy, a little lofty and unattainable, but so what? I'm an optimist. Full steam ahead."

Wells Tower is an award-winning short story and nonfiction writer who splits his time between North Carolina and New York. This article appears in The Oxford American magazine's 2010 "Southern Food" issue, which is available at most bookstores and newsstands nationwide. The Oxford American is "The Southern Magazine of Good Writing," and more information is available at www.oxfordamerican.org.

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/03/24/403594/suds-straight-from-the-southern.html#ixzz0mbFhHuXP

Lzen
04-30-2010, 10:08 AM
Hmmm.....I may have to try some of these. Only thing is I wonder if I can even find many of these around here.

And this.....wth?

Samuel Adams Utopias
It's hard to call this a beer because it has no carbonation, has the consistency of brandy, is best sipped from a nosing glass, and, oh yeah, it costs $150 for a 24-oz. bottle. But it's worth a taste if you come across it at a bar: complexly sweet, like a port.

$150 for a 24oz bottle? :eek:

Reaper16
04-30-2010, 10:27 AM
Hmmm.....I may have to try some of these. Only thing is I wonder if I can even find many of these around here.

And this.....wth?

Yeah, Utopias is a super-complex, 27% ABV strong ale.

Reaper16
05-01-2010, 07:47 PM
BTW -- in case anyone likes Goose Island's Nut Brown Ale or Oatmeal Stout, I wanted to let you know that they are discontinuing them. They've made those beers for decades but the market is pushing towards bigger, more complex beers and Goose Island has decided to remove these two session beers from their bottled lineup altogether.

Miles
05-01-2010, 07:56 PM

And this.....wth?

The crazy thing is that it usually sells for a premium over that because it is so hard to get. I have tried it at the Great American Beerfest and it is really interesting but I was expecting more for at that price.

NewChief
06-01-2010, 08:47 AM
Since this thread became a general beer lovers discussion, I thought I'd just post this into it. Follow the actual link to see pictures of all the pretty bottles.

http://www.bonappetit.com/blogsandforums/blogs/bafoodist/2010/06/the-italian-beer-revolution.html

The Italian Beer Revolution
10:23 am / June 1, 2010 / Posted by Andrew Knowlton
FILED UNDER: BA Foodist, Beer
The country known for Pinot Grigio and Super Tuscans has recently become a creative frontier for beer. Unbound by brewing traditions (unlike Germany and Belgium) and heavily influenced by the Slow Food movement, Italy is crafting food-friendly brews beloved by the beer intelligentsia, including Justin Philips, owner of the superb Beer Table bar in Brooklyn. Here, Philips shares his favorite birre.

Birra del Borgo Genziana, $9 for â¿¿12.7 ounces
"Brewed just outside of Rome, this crisp, herbal ale is made with gentian root, imparting a floral bitterness."

Piccolo Birrificio Sesonette, $9 for 11.2 ounces
"Nearly a beer-wine hybrid, this unique pale and spicy beer is matured in wine barrels."

Birrificio del Ducato Via Emilia, $10 for 11.2 ounces
"A magnificent interpretation of pilsner--zippy, frothy, and super-refreshing."

Birreria Baladin Wayan, $14 for 25.4 ounces
"Reminiscent of a Belgian saison, Wayan is brewed with an array of spices and malts; it's citrusy and crisp."

Birrificio Italiano â¿¿La Fleurette, $15 for 25.4 ounces
"Brewed with roses, violets, honey, elderberries, and black pepper, the result is a bold low-alcohol quencher."

Read More http://www.bonappetit.com/blogsandforums/blogs/bafoodist/2010/06/the-italian-beer-revolution.html#ixzz0pc4HzZq4

Phobia
06-01-2010, 08:57 AM

It's like they changed it or something. I still love their Abbey and 1554 offerings but I can take or leave everything else.

Phobia
06-01-2010, 08:58 AM

Racer 5 is damn solid. Bear Republic makes another IPA called Hop Rod Rye that is probably in my top 10 favorite IPAs.

We have that on tap at my favorite hole.

Toadkiller
06-01-2010, 09:16 AM
Twilight by Deschutes, summer in a bottle. Really enjoyed the 6 pack I had this weekend.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/63/17984/?ba=bros

The Poz
06-01-2010, 09:23 AM
Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
Dark stouts usually have hints of cocoa to them already, so the trick with chocolate beers is subtlety. Brooklyn nails it: Not too sweet, not too bitter, but chocolatey enough to make it special.

Tried Brooklyn Lager the other night and thought it was very good. Looking forward to trying the stout.
If you want something that gives you a kick in the pants try Maudite or La Fin du Monde.
http://www.unibroue.com/en/home/
Their Blanche de Chambly is the best white beer I've ever tried.

Shag
06-01-2010, 09:25 AM
Tried Brooklyn Lager the other night and thought it was very good. Looking forward to trying the stout.
If you want something that gives you a kick in the pants try Maudite or La Fin du Monde.
http://www.unibroue.com/en/home/
Their Blanche de Chambly is the best white beer I've ever tried.

I just bought a bottle of Maudite the other day. Haven't cracked it yet, but looking forward to it...

NewChief
Twilight by Deschutes, summer in a bottle. Really enjoyed the 6 pack I had this weekend.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/63/17984/?ba=bros

As I always lament when it comes up: I really wish we got Deschutes down here.

Saulbadguy
It's like they changed it or something. I still love their Abbey and 1554 offerings but I can take or leave everything else.

Ranger IPA is great.

DaKCMan AP
06-01-2010, 09:31 AM
http://ivettedeleon.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/hoegaarden.jpg

The Poz
06-01-2010, 09:37 AM
I just bought a bottle of Maudite the other day. Haven't cracked it yet, but looking forward to it...

If you need to be somewhat productive after keep it to 1 bottle.

Phobia
06-01-2010, 09:39 AM
Thank you.

You've fallen victim to marketing. Expand your horizons and start making up your own mind. If I tell you 2 dozen times a week that boar piss tastes delicious and post some pictures of sexy ladies next to a bottle of boar piss does that make boar piss delicious? Of course not. Ask Saulbadguy how he came from a beer hater to somebody who appreciates a quality crafted brew.

NewChief
06-01-2010, 09:43 AM
You've fallen victim to marketing. Expand your horizons and start making up your own mind. If I tell you 2 dozen times a week that boar piss tastes delicious and post some pictures of sexy ladies next to a bottle of boar piss does that make boar piss delicious? Of course not. Ask Saulbadguy how he came from a beer hater to somebody who appreciates a quality crafted brew.

But Corona is fairly innocuous. It doesn't taste bad... it doesn't really taste like much at all. I think that's one of the interesting things about the anti-Corona fervor. Something so mild and inoffensive creates such passionate hatred.

Saulbadguy
06-01-2010, 09:50 AM
Thank you.

1. They charge "import" price for it.
2. It comes in a clear glass bottle, which skunks it.
3. It comes with a lime.
4. It's a product of superior marketing. It is clearly not much different from Bud Light, but people think it is.

Phobia
06-01-2010, 09:54 AM
But Corona is fairly innocuous. It doesn't taste bad... it doesn't really taste like much at all. I think that's one of the interesting things about the anti-Corona fervor. Something so mild and inoffensive creates such passionate hatred.

I don't hate the stuff. I just don't buy it. For $2 extra, you can buy a sixer of something amazingly delicious.

Saulbadguy
06-01-2010, 09:55 AM
What's maddening is i've only drank 3 beers on that list. Looking over Reapers cellar/fridge, i've had maybe 4 or 5 of those.

...and i've drank alot of beer.

However, I don't go to the liquor store that often. It's too difficult to make a choice.

NewChief
06-01-2010, 10:01 AM
I don't hate the stuff. I just don't buy it. For $2 extra, you can buy a sixer of something amazingly delicious.

I agree completely. It's overpriced and it's not a good beer. I don't call people idiots for drinking it, though.

Phobia
06-01-2010, 10:07 AM
I agree completely. It's overpriced and it's not a good beer. I don't call people idiots for drinking it, though.

You should start immediately.

NewChief
06-01-2010, 10:09 AM
You should start immediately.

Very well.

You Corona drinkers are idiots. :cuss::cuss::cuss:

I'm so infuriated that I'm currently typing this blind because I got so mad thinking about people drinking Corona that I put my fist through my monitor.

Phobia
06-01-2010, 10:14 AM
Honestly though, people who drink Corona aren't idiots. They probably think McDonalds has good hamburgers too. But people who drink Miller Lite are just plain dumb.

Saulbadguy
06-01-2010, 10:16 AM
Honestly though, people who drink Corona aren't idiots. They probably think McDonalds has good hamburgers too. But people who drink Miller Lite are just plain dumb.

Then there are those idiots who think Shiner is the end all/be all of breweries...

NewChief
06-01-2010, 10:22 AM
Then there are those idiots who think Shiner is the end all/be all of breweries...

I recently tried that Shiner 101 which they advertise as a Czech Style Pilsner. The beer wasn't bad... but it didn't really remind of me Czech Style Pilsners at least not ones like Pilsner Urquell or Staropramen (which I assumed, maybe erroneously, represented Czech style pilsners).

Reaper16
06-01-2010, 10:25 AM
Shiner fans are at least drinking respectable product.

Phobia
06-01-2010, 10:29 AM

It's not but it's a decent product that is better than anything produced in St. Louis, Golden, & Milwaukee. It used to be a really good value in MO because they kept the price at $8 for a twelver but now it's $11-12 so I don't drink it very often.

Reaper16
06-01-2010, 10:29 AM
New additions to the cellar today:

1x Cantillon Gueuze
2x Fantome Saison D'Ereze'e - Printemps
1x Fantome Black Ghost
1x Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary Ken & Fritz's Ale (Imperial Stout)
1x Goose Island Nightstalker (Imperial Stout)

Shag
06-01-2010, 10:55 AM

1x Cantillon Gueuze
1x Fantome Black Ghost

Nightstalker is great - I have one of those cellared myself. I also picked up a bottle of that SN a month or so ago, but haven't cracked it yet. You planning on drinking that one soon?

DaKCMan AP
06-01-2010, 11:21 AM

This. Miller lite is terrible.

Reaper16
06-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Nightstalker is great - I have one of those cellared myself. I also picked up a bottle of that SN a month or so ago, but haven't cracked it yet. You planning on drinking that one soon?
I'll drink the Nightstalker soon, to take advantage of its hoppyness. I've had it once before on-tap at Goose Island's brewpub on Clybourn St in Chicago. The 30th Anniversary I'll probably put a few months on at least.

Phobia
06-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Bought some Lagunitas Wilco Tango Foxtrot this weekend. Recommend.

Chiefs Rool
06-01-2010, 11:42 AM
I'll just stick with my natty light, thanks.

Reaper16
06-01-2010, 11:45 AM
I had some on-tap back when it first came out. I usually don't care much for brown ales, but then again WTF is an IPA/Brown Ale hybrid.

Reaper16
06-01-2010, 11:45 AM
I'll just stick with my natty light, thanks.
Your loss.

The Poz
06-01-2010, 12:59 PM
Just got back from lunch where I sipped a couple Lawn Chair “Classic” Weisse (Bavarian-style Hefeweizen). Very nice. Watching this thread earlier prompted me to try something different.
Below is an article about this beer along with some winners from the Ontario Brewing Awards. Enjoy.

http://www.thestar.com/living/food/article/809153--hop-city-brewing-s-lawn-chair-brand-wins-top-wheat-beer-honours-at-ontario-brewing-awards

There are a couple winners from Mill Street Brewing which is right around the corner from my office, hic.

Zebedee DuBois
06-02-2010, 08:35 PM
I had some Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout tonight as an after dinner drink, and it was delicious Yummy. Might be good with ice cream.

irishjayhawk
06-02-2010, 09:09 PM
I had some Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout tonight as an after dinner drink, and it was delicious Yummy. Might be good with ice cream.

Yes, yes it is.

Interestingly, the original Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout is not as good. I haven't tried the Chocolate yet.

irishjayhawk
06-02-2010, 09:10 PM

1x Cantillon Gueuze
1x Fantome Black Ghost

I hate you.

irishjayhawk
06-02-2010, 09:13 PM
http://ivettedeleon.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/hoegaarden.jpg

:Lin:

Reaper16
06-02-2010, 09:34 PM
I hate you.
I'm glad for it - I am surprised that you recognize how valuable stuff from Cantillon or Fantome are.

irishjayhawk
06-02-2010, 09:37 PM
I'm glad for it - I am surprised that you recognize how valuable stuff from Cantillon or Fantome are.

I don't honestly.

But I love Goose Island and Sierra Nevada so those alone make me hate you.

The others, I'm sure, are good. :p

What did you give up for it?

Reaper16
06-02-2010, 09:41 PM
I don't honestly.

But I love Goose Island and Sierra Nevada so those alone make me hate you.

The others, I'm sure, are good. :p

What did you give up for it?
The Nightstalker & SN 30th Anniversary I just bought from Gomer's Parkville. The others were obtained with Boulevard & Schalfly product.

irishjayhawk
06-02-2010, 09:42 PM
The Nightstalker & SN 30th Anniversary I just bought from Gomer's Parkville. The others were obtained with Boulevard & Schalfly product.

Is Gomer's a good place?

Lukas is huge but damn they don't have the selection I thought they did.

Reaper16
06-02-2010, 09:46 PM
Is Gomer's a good place?

Lukas is huge but damn they don't have the selection I thought they did.
I haven't been in Lukas in a year; it's such a long drive for me. I plan on going soon. The Gomer's stores have a good selection and they always get in the big releases. The Lee's Summitt and Parkville stores have rarer stuff on the shelves that sells out super-fast at the Midtown KC location.

irishjayhawk
06-02-2010, 09:51 PM
I haven't been in Lukas in a year; it's such a long drive for me. I plan on going soon. The Gomer's stores have a good selection and they always get in the big releases. The Lee's Summitt and Parkville stores have rarer stuff on the shelves that sells out super-fast at the Midtown KC location.

Do you live in MO or KS?

Miles
06-02-2010, 09:59 PM

I need to try that since I have really liked what I have had from Lagunitas so far.

Reaper16
06-02-2010, 11:52 PM
Do you live in MO or KS?
MO. Northland. Very outskirts of Northland metro area. Excelsior Springs.

DaKCMan AP
06-03-2010, 05:39 AM
:Lin:

Blasphemy!

Saulbadguy
06-03-2010, 06:40 AM
Blasphemy!

http://a2.vox.com/6a00d4142121106a4700e398a8aaaa0004-500pi

irishjayhawk
06-03-2010, 06:41 AM
MO. Northland. Very outskirts of Northland metro area. Excelsior Springs.

Ahhh, well I could go to MO to pick up some brewskies but that pesky crossing borders would get me in trouble, knowing my luck.

DaKCMan AP
06-03-2010, 06:43 AM
http://a2.vox.com/6a00d4142121106a4700e398a8aaaa0004-500pi

Baruch atah Hashem Eloheinu Melech Haolam,
shehakol nih'yeh bidvaro.

Saulbadguy
06-03-2010, 06:47 AM
Baruch atah Hashem Eloheinu Melech Haolam,
shehakol nih'yeh bidvaro.

It is actually a quality product. :D

irishjayhawk
06-04-2010, 09:16 AM
So do a lot of planeteers disregard the illegality of transporting liquor across state lines?

Reaper16
06-04-2010, 09:19 AM
So do a lot of planeteers disregard the illegality of transporting liquor across state lines?
Shit, just about everytime I go to Oklahome Joe's and stop by the liquor store that is basically next door and pick up a six-pack of Ska Modus Hoperandi and maybe a Smokestack Series beer since they don't sell quickly at that store.

I've thrice transported a car trunkfull of beer from Illinois to Iowa to Missouri. Combine that with my regular shipping of beer through FedEx w/o a license to do so and it is clear that I don't care about these laws.

DaKCMan AP
06-04-2010, 09:20 AM

How else can you get 40's in Florida?

irishjayhawk
06-04-2010, 09:27 AM
Well then, I guess I should be more adventurous. :p

Saulbadguy
06-04-2010, 09:34 AM
Shit, just about everytime I go to Oklahome Joe's and stop by the liquor store that is basically next door and pick up a six-pack of Ska Modus Hoperandi and maybe a Smokestack Series beer since they don't sell quickly at that store.

I've thrice transported a car trunkfull of beer from Illinois to Iowa to Missouri. Combine that with my regular shipping of beer through FedEx w/o a license to do so and it is clear that I don't care about these laws.

:drool:

Shag
06-04-2010, 09:50 AM

It's simply transporting yeast samples, or collectible bottles. The liquid in the bottles is simply a suspension media for the yeast, or a cooling system for the bottles. ;)

I do it all the time, and don't really give it much thought...

irishjayhawk
06-05-2010, 11:09 AM
Tried Goose Island's Sofie last night. Thought I was going to hate it after the first few sips (I can usually tell from that small sample alone) but boy was I wrong. It was delicious.

I guess I had to get the initial bite out of the way. After that, I liked the aftertaste.

That said, I preferred their Pere Jacques, though I think that is because I prefer Dubbel over Saison.

Reaper16
06-05-2010, 11:19 AM
Tried Goose Island's Sofie last night. Thought I was going to hate it after the first few sips (I can usually tell from that small sample alone) but boy was I wrong. It was delicious.

I guess I had to get the initial bite out of the way. After that, I liked the aftertaste.

That said, I preferred their Pere Jacques, though I think that is because I prefer Dubbel over Saison.
I really love Sofie. I must have bought 10+ bottles of the 2009 between trips to the liquor store or at Blanc Burgers + Bottles because it perfectly compliments their Au Poivre Burger. I'm stoked that it is in 4-packs of 12oz. bottles now.

RNR
06-05-2010, 11:54 AM
I started drinking different beers a while back. I tried several. I went back to domestic. I like the taste of Bud Light :shrug:

Reaper16
06-05-2010, 12:13 PM
I started drinking different beers a while back. I tried several. I went back to domestic. I like the taste of Bud Light :shrug:
I'm sorry that you didn't find any other beers to suit your tastes. FWIW, "domestic" means the opposite of import -- beer from within the country.

irishjayhawk
06-05-2010, 12:21 PM
I'm sorry that you didn't find any other beers to suit your tastes. FWIW, "domestic" means the opposite of import -- beer from within the country.

That's why I hate when bars say their specials are on domestic drafts - only to find out "domestic" means Bud, Miller and Coors products.

Reaper16
06-05-2010, 12:23 PM
That's why I hate when bars say their specials are on domestic drafts - only to find out "domestic" means Bud, Miller and Coors products.
Yeah. They appropriated the word domestic because the correct term, American Adjunct Lager, doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

RNR
06-05-2010, 12:38 PM

Well you have been around me long enough to know I ain't that bright. I just think of Bud, Coors and the lot as "domestic" and you are right most the beers I tried were made in the US. I liked some of the fancy beers but never found any that made think wow that tastes so good I am going to start drinking that! I have several friends that are like you guys and drink all kinds of beers I have never heard of. I guess my taste buds are easy to please. When I drink beer an ice cold Bud Light tastes good to me~

Bowser
06-05-2010, 01:44 PM
I thought you meant the 50 beers I have in my garage fridge.

HEY OHH!!

Reaper16
06-05-2010, 07:20 PM
Rocking a New Glarus Raspberry Tart tonight. One of the very best fruit beers ever; too bad it is only for sale in Wisconsin.

Reaper16
06-08-2010, 11:55 PM
I enjoyed two beers from Rogue's "Chatoe Rogue" line of beers tonight - First Growth Single Malt Ale and First Growth Dirtoir Black Lager. These were clean, refreshing, straightforward beers that need to be bottled in six-packs. The icing on the proverbial cake is the good food politics underlying the Chatoe Rogue beers. Each is made from sustainable, proprietary, estate-grown hops and malts. An impressive feat.

SpankyMcSpank
06-09-2010, 02:20 AM
Even though they are expensive, chimays are nice for belgin beer. Personally I like the red, then white, then blue.

irishjayhawk
06-09-2010, 04:53 AM
I enjoyed two beers from Rogue's "Chatoe Rogue" line of beers tonight - First Growth Single Malt Ale and First Growth Dirtoir Black Lager. These were clean, refreshing, straightforward beers that need to be bottled in six-packs. The icing on the proverbial cake is the good food politics underlying the Chatoe Rogue beers. Each is made from sustainable, proprietary, estate-grown hops and malts. An impressive feat.

I almost picked up First Growth Single Malt Ale. Instead, I went with Chouffe's Petite Hobloun.

Reaper16
06-10-2010, 01:25 PM
This would be a great blog post. If only I had a blog. Now presenting the 2010 FIFA World Cup Beer Companion! The following is an attempt to list an enjoyable beer from each nation participating in the World Cup. I would love to try and match beers with the character of each team but some nations aren't deep enough in beer to do that. I have provided links to each beer on the website RateBeer.com. I prefer BeerAdvocate but RateBeer is more internationally focused.

Group A:
South Africa - Draymans (South Africa) Altstadt Weissbier (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/draymans-south-africa-altstadt-weissbier/43041/)A Hefewizen in the classic German style. Refreshing summer flavors of banana, clove and lemon make this a good host beer for watching the games.

Uruguay - FNC Zillertal Premium (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/fnc-zillertal-premium/23776/)
A pale lager - the common beer of most countries - only with an actual hop presence. Grassy, lemony hops balanced with a honey sweetness.

Mexico - Cucapá Barley Wine (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/cucapa-barley-wine-centenario/65951/) A legitimately good Barleywine; said to me Mexico's best beer. Flavors of toffee, dark fruits and rum with a certain "dirty" quality from Mexican water that compliments the beer.

France - La Bavaisienne Ambrée (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/la-bavaisienne-ambree/7579/) A world-class Biere de Garde (the maltier, French version of a Belgian Saison. Both styles are considered to be 'Farmhouse Ales'). Flavors of dried hay, nuts, lemon, oats and and brewing spices with a dry finish.

Group B:
Argentina - Barba Roja Barrel Aged Red Ale (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/barba-roja-barrel-aged-red-ale/106046/) From Argentina's vibrant young craft beer scene comes this Irish Red Ale that has been aged in bourbon barrels. Slight bourbon accents the abundance of caramel and toffee malt flavors.

Nigeria - Guinness Foreign Extra Stout (Nigeria) (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/guinness-foreign-extra-stout-nigeria/19432/) Gunness has a brewery in Nigeria and that specific brewery is the only one to brew this recipe. Said to be the best of all Guinness products, it uses some Nigerian ingredients which provide more of a vinous character to play off the chocolate malt.

Korea Republic - Hite Stout (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/hite-stout/12082/) The first real clunker of the list. South Korea's beer scene isn't strong, but this canned Stout is an honest effort. Average at best but an average stout is still a decent drink.

Greece - Vergina Red (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/vergina-red/49521/) This isn't considered to be Greece's very best beer, but it is close. I chose it because of the name. Vergina. A red vergina at that. Chuckle. This beer is essentially a Sam Adams Boston Lager clone, with the balance of malts to hops favoring the malts.

Group C:
England - Fullers London Porter (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/fullers-london-porter-bottle-keg/303/) One of the best beer nations on Earth. I could have listed dozens, but let's go with Fullers London Porter, the best example of the old Mild Porter style that was developed in London. Milk chocolate, vanilla, slight coffee and easy to drink at that.

United States - Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/sierra-nevada-pale-ale-draft/16248/) Again, one of the best beer nations on Earth. I could have listed dozens but let's go with the beer that symbolizes America's craft brewing renaissance. This is the first beer brewed in what would become the American Pale Ale style - the choice of new Cascade hops made this pale ale brash and assertive with citrus and pine flavors like no other pale ale before it. America shocked the world with this beer in the late 70's and American soccer shocked the world in 1950 by beating England.

Algeria - Tango Sans Alcool (http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/Beer/Beer-Ratings.asp?BeerID=56934) Of the few Algerian beers that are commercially distributed, this one has no alcohol. Which is fitting because Algeria has no chance of getting out of this Group. If you're watching games at a sports bar then give this to your designated driver.

Slovenia - Sokol Svetlo Pivo (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/sokol-svetlo-pivo/62034/) An Eastern Eurpean lager belonging to an esoteric style called Zwicklebier or Landbier, this beer tastes of medicinal bittering hops, lightly toasted grain and some unique vegetal characteristics.

Group D:
Germany - Schneider Aventinus (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/schneider-aventinus/2224/) Again, one of the best beer nations on Earth. I could have listed dozens but let's go with my favorite German beer and one of my favorite beers period. Aventinus is a Weizenbock - a wheat dopplebock. Tangy wheat meets flavors of dark toffee, plums, blackcurrants and even some chocolate. Very complex.

Australia - Redoak Baltic Porter (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/redoak-baltic-porter/50112/) An excellent Baltic Porter. It tastes much like the Aventinus, minus any wheat/lemon flavors. Very sweet; a dessert beer. Celebrate a win with this one.

Serbia - Jelen Pivo (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/jelen-pivo/12285/) Most nations in this part of Europe are utterly devoted to Czech-style Pilsners. Jelen Pivo is Serbia's preeminent example. The label contains an image of a baying Elk, which is pretty cool.

Ghana - Accra Chairman (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/accra-chairman/120904/) A uniquely Ghanan beer. This is, essentially, a ginger malt liquor. Spicy from ginger root and strongly malty like all malt liquors.

Group E:
Netherlands - Koningshoeven Quadrupel Trappist Ale (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/koningshoeven-quadrupel-trappist-ale/45128/) Koningshoven, also known as La Trappe, is one of the world's seven Trappist monasteries that brew beer. The Quadrupel is one of the classic Trappist/Abbey beer styles. Koningshoven's Quad is an internationally renowned beer and not only because of its official Trappist distinction.

Denmark - Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/mikkeller-beer-geek-brunch-weasel/97034/) Denmark is undergoing a serious brewing renaissance right now. The most visible brewery to U.S. beer drinkers would be Mikkeller. Mikkel is a nomadic brewer - owning no brewery of his own, he brews as a guest at breweries all over Europe. He is a prolific innovator, giving Europeal drinkers a taste of the crazy stuff coming from the United States. Perhaps his best beer is also his strangest. Beer Geek Brunch Weasel is a Imperial Coffee Stout (or Breakfast Stout) that uses one of the most expensive coffees in the world - Civet Cat coffee. The Civet Cat is a weasel-like animal that forages for beans on the forest floors of Vietnam, its enzymes break down the beans and then it poops out a richer coffee substance than before the bean was digested. Yes, seriously, this is poop beer made from poop coffee. And it is world-class.

Japan - Hitachino Nest Espresso Stout (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/hitachino-nest-espresso-stout/71055/) Another coffee stout, this one from experimental Japanese brewers Hitchino Nest. Predictable flavors from a coffee stout but flavors that are marvelously executed. Japan is an underrated beer nation.

Cameroon - Castel Beer (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/castel-beer-cameroon/38845/) Cameroon is not a strong beer nation at all. Their best commercial offering is this pale lager, nicknamed "The Queen of Beers." Comparable to Coors Light; hand one over to to an NFL coach if the cold-activated can of his isn't blue yet.

Group F:
Italy - Baladin Xyauyù Etichetta Rame (Copper Label) (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/baladin-xyauyu-etichetta-rame-copper-label/51260/)
Look out, wine. Italy's youth are increasingly getting into the nation's burgeoning craft beer scene. Among the vibrant, exciting beers coming out of Italy today is Baladin's Xyauyu barleywine. Deep flavors of port and sherry round out the toffee and sourdough bread from the malt. Oak accentuates the whole drink.

Paraguay - Cerveceria Paraguayana Pilsen Dorada (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/cerveceria-paraguayana-pilsen-dorada/29886/) This pilsner is about the best beer the country produces. Tinny from cheap hops. Hey, only one team gets to win the World Cup of soccer. Same with the WC of beer. Paraguay won't win either but their futbol is the superior product by far.

New Zealand - Epic Armageddon IPA (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/epic-armageddon-ipa/91271/) You can tell from the name that this beer is American-inspired. New Zealand's Epic Brewery has made an IPA that actually stands up with some of the best IPAs in the U.S. Bravo.

Slovakia - Topvar 12% Tmavé - Marina (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/topvar-12-tmave--marina/10162/) A classic example of the Schwarzbier (or Black Lager) style. Licorice and chocolate flavors combine in a light package.

Group G:
Brazil - Eisenbahn Lust (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/eisenbahn-lust/67622/) You may have noticed this beer on liquor store shelves because of its enourmous $25 pricetag. This is a unique Belgian Strong Ale that is sent to a winery for three weeks to undergo the same process that Champagne goes through. What you get is an ale tasting of pear, clove, green apple and even some bubblegum.

Korea DPR - Taedonggang Beer (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/taedonggang-beer/72311/) Amazingly, North Korea isn't the worst beer nation of the 32 FIFA WC participants. This pale lager is said to be startlingly average in every respect. Hooray, comrade!

Cote d'Ivoire - Mamba (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/mamba/8202/) Guess what? It's a malt liquor! When Billy Dee Williams runs out of Colt 45 on his vacations to the Ivory Coast he reaches for one of these.

Portugal - Cerveja Super Bock Stout (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/cerveja-super-bock-stout/24840/) Portugal is better than some when it comes to beer, but not many. I picked this beer because of its nonsensical name. Is it a dark bock? Is it a stout? Bocks are lagers and Stouts are ales and this beer surely isn't both but maybe, just maybe, it can defy convention like Portugal's star, Christiano Ronaldo.

Group H:
Spain - Agullons Setembre (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/agullons-setembre/111689/) Spain is just now starting to innovate with beer. This is a sour ale, sort of a gueuze that has been blended with a pale ale to get some citrus hops in there. Then it is aged in wine barrels. Crazy.

Switzerland - Trois Dames Saison Houblon (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/trois-dames-saison-houblon/72578/) I loves me a Saison. This farmhouse ale is inspired by American takes on the style; it is aggressively dry-hopped. It isn't too far off from Boulevard's Tank 7.

Honduras - Cerveza Port Royal Export (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/cerveza-port-royal-export/2523/) It isn't good when your brewery's name is simply your language's word for "beer." This is a predictable atrocious pale lager that, like most bad pale lagers, becomes fine drinking taking into account 1.) the nation's water and 2.) the spiciness of its food.

Chile- Szot Rubia Al Vapor (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/szot-rubia-al-vapor/65192/) Finally, we end on a nation that is more exciting in terms of beer than one would think. This beer is a Steam Beer/California Common, only with a twist - brewed with slightly roasted malts so that it becomes a sort of Steam Beer & Porter hybrid. Chile has some innovation going for it.

I hope this was a fun read. I haven't had even half of the beers on this list but I hope that you, like me, will seek some of these beers out.

Reaper16
06-10-2010, 10:32 PM
I figured that my World Cup Beer Companion would be more interesting that it apparently is. *sigh*

Anyways, I'm drinking a Bosteels Tripel Karmeliet.

irishjayhawk
06-10-2010, 11:31 PM
Chatoe Rogue First Growth Single Malt Ale isn't bad but it isn't special either.

Also, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale as USA's beer? I mean it's pretty good, but really?

Reaper16
06-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Chatoe Rogue First Growth Single Malt Ale isn't bad but it isn't special either.

Also, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale as USA's beer? I mean it's pretty good, but really?
Well, there was text after the name of the beer that explains my reasoning. USA (and England and Germany and Belgium if they were in the WC) has so many world-class beers that any pick would be completely arbitrary.

Saulbadguy
06-11-2010, 05:09 PM
Totally NOT ordering a Fullers ESB tomorrow at Old Chicago - even though they are delicious.

OnTheWarpath15
06-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Rocking a New Glarus Raspberry Tart tonight. One of the very best fruit beers ever; too bad it is only for sale in Wisconsin.

Funny, I specifically was going to bump this thread to see if anyone has tried New Glaurus' Spotted Cow Ale.

I'm drinking one now - it's OK. It's also the only thing in my fridge right now, sadly.

irishjayhawk
06-13-2010, 07:20 AM
Well, there was text after the name of the beer that explains my reasoning. USA (and England and Germany and Belgium if they were in the WC) has so many world-class beers that any pick would be completely arbitrary.

Good point.

Reaper16
06-25-2010, 12:55 AM
I had way too many beers tonight, even when shared with a friend.

1x Ommegang Rare Vos
1x Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence
1x 2007 Schlalfy Reserve Oak-Aged Barleywine
1x Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel - an Imperial Stout brewed with Civet Cat coffee (coffee beans that have been eaten and partially digested - pooped out - by the weasel-like civet cats of Vietnam) aka "Poop Beer."

Poop Beer was easily the best beer of the night. It is a tremendous coffee-based Imperial Stout. The civet cat coffee has a pungent fruit character (sort of like blueberries) that goes so uniquely well with the espresso roast bitterness.

Reaper16
06-26-2010, 12:44 AM
At Flying Saucer, before the TOOL concert:
a bottle of 2009 Cantillon Classic Guezue

At Flying Saucer, after the TOOL concert:
a glass of Boulevard [Smokestack Series] Two Jokers Double Wit (on-tap!)
a glass of Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye on-tap

Shag
06-26-2010, 04:13 PM
Completed my first few beer trades. Here's my take:

http://www.shagnog.com/images/beertrade1.jpg

Reaper16
06-26-2010, 04:21 PM
HUNAPU'S?!?!? You lucksack. WTF did you give up to get that?

Shag
06-26-2010, 04:23 PM
HUNAPU'S?!?!? You lucksack. WTF did you give up to get that?

Yeah, pretty excited about that one. Traded an '08 Darkness for it...

Reaper16
06-26-2010, 04:29 PM
Yeah, pretty excited about that one. Traded an '08 Darkness for it...
I figured you'd have to give up a Darkness for it.

I've never had either; I would love so much to try Darkness.

Reaper16
06-27-2010, 07:34 PM
now drinking: 2010 Fantome Saison D'Ereze'e Printemps. My description of the INSANE aroma on this beer is as follows: "One expects originality and unique experiences from Fantome beers. The 2010 version of Printemps has a nose unlike any beer I've had before. TONS of lemon and lime or, to be more precise, lemonade and limeade blast the nose. I say lemonade because you can make out the smell of straight-up sugar. Dany Prignon is not afraid to use adjuncts like spices, sugars and fruit juices in his esoteric, artisinal farmhouse ales. But there is a funk character behind the lemon/lime-ade sweetness. You get the smell of dank, sweaty feet and, like, mildew. Some ballsweat and pungent flowers and Neosporin too. This is FUCKED up. In a good way!"

XXXshogunXXX
06-28-2010, 12:34 AM
Completed my first few beer trades. Here's my take:

http://www.shagnog.com/images/beertrade1.jpg

did you trade with someone in california?, i think ive had that all

ill post some pics soon, but i recently had 3 cantillions from 2003. my friend had it stashed and just broke it out for his bday, supposedly each bottle was near $200. We were all puckered out

Shag
06-28-2010, 07:37 AM
did you trade with someone in california?, i think ive had that all

ill post some pics soon, but i recently had 3 cantillions from 2003. my friend had it stashed and just broke it out for his bday, supposedly each bottle was near $200. We were all puckered out

Yeah, two trades from California, one from SC. The two Cigar City brews (Hunaphu's, Jai Alai Humidor Series) are from a Florida brewery.

California has access to so much great beer - I'm jealous...

Reaper16
06-28-2010, 09:44 AM

*swoon* That would be so great. Cantillon is one of my absolute favorite breweries.

Reaper16
06-28-2010, 07:47 PM
I'm drinking Olfabrikken Porter. It is the best Baltic Porter I've ever had. You must seek this beer out.

LOCOChief
06-28-2010, 08:19 PM
I tried a seasonal brew by Anheuser called Sun Dog, similar to Shock Top which I think is similar to Blue Moon. I really enjoy all three especially with the orange wedge in a frosted glass great summer beers, really refreshing.

Reaper16
06-28-2010, 08:25 PM
I tried a seasonal brew by Anheuser called Sun Dog, similar to Shock Top which I think is similar to Blue Moon. I really enjoy all three especially with the orange wedge in a frosted glass great summer beers, really refreshing.
If you enjoy those then you should seek out St. Bernadus Witbier, Sierra Nevada Kellerweiss and Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier.

Bowser
06-28-2010, 08:27 PM
If you enjoy those then you should seek out St. Bernadus Witbier, Sierra Nevada Kellerweiss and Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier.Where would be the best place to locate said brews? A Gomer's, perhaps?

Reaper16
06-28-2010, 08:28 PM
Where would be the best place to locate said brews? A Gomer's, perhaps?
In KC? You can find those beers at a Gomers or a Royal or a Bubbles or a Lukas or even a Hy-Vee. Pretty much anywhere, especially the Sierra Nevada offering (which will be in six-packs, the other two in single bottles).

Shag
06-28-2010, 08:30 PM
I'm drinking Olfabrikken Porter. It is the best Baltic Porter I've ever had. You must seek this beer out.

Wonder if I can find that around here anywhere. Not a baltic, but have you had Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter? GL just came into town recently, and I came across this gem - it's fantastic...

Toadkiller
06-28-2010, 08:32 PM
Really really enjoyed the Saison Rue by The Bruery tonight. I will have to go buy a few more of them. Perfect beer.

Oh and the Alaskan Smoked Porter was like drinking smoke in a bottle. Very nice and unexpected. Loved it.

Reaper16
06-28-2010, 08:37 PM
Wonder if I can find that around here anywhere. Not a baltic, but have you had Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter? GL just came into town recently, and I came across this gem - it's fantastic...
Edmund Fitzgerald is my second favorite American Porter on Earth (I like Boulevard's Bully! Porter a smidge more). Edmund Fitzgerald is a brilliant beer; it'd be a mainstay of my fridge if Great Lakes distributed to MO. Everytime I go to Chicago (once or twice a year) I bring home a case of it.

Reaper16
06-28-2010, 08:37 PM
Really really enjoyed the Saison Rue by The Bruery tonight. I will have to go buy a few more of them. Perfect beer.

Oh and the Alaskan Smoked Porter was like drinking smoke in a bottle. Very nice and unexpected. Loved it.
:toast:

Toadkiller
06-28-2010, 08:55 PM
The 2008 Abyss is one of my favorite beers but man that Saison Rue is up there. I know they are vastly different so I guess I can have two favorites.

luv
06-28-2010, 09:54 PM
Anyone tried and like Magic Hat #9? I'm not into fruity beer, but I think it's really good. New craft beer called Hazed & Infused that I'm also a fan of.

Reaper16
06-28-2010, 10:08 PM
Anyone tried and like Magic Hat #9? I'm not into fruity beer, but I think it's really good. New craft beer called Hazed & Infused that I'm also a fan of.
Those are pretty popular pale ales. Many people like them quite a bit.

Reaper16
06-29-2010, 08:01 PM
oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit

This bottle of Goose Island Nightstalker (Imperial Stout) is drinking Heavenly. One of the top 30 beers I've ever had. I need more bottles. Quickly.

luv
06-29-2010, 10:28 PM
Can you tell I like ales?

http://www.abita.com/images/page_graphics/brews/bottles_six_packs/turbodog_bottle_six_pack_rays_template.jpg

KC native
06-29-2010, 11:35 PM
Smoking a blunt with some lean in it but also sipping on one of my favorites from my local brewery (I can't stress enough for beer snobs if you are in Dallas-Fort Worth you must go to the Covey). It's not that bitter IMO but IPAs are my favorites.

from the beer menu

Horned Frog Pale Ale

An American style pale ale hopped with all Citra hops, which lend notes of guava and passion fruit. This bitter, fragrant ale is brewed using all English malts, including Maris Otter malt, prized for its bready and robust flavor. Though this beer is bitter, the subtle complexities of the specialty malts and citrusy American hops help bring all its elements into harmony

Reaper16
06-30-2010, 09:05 AM
Smoking a blunt with some lean in it but also sipping on one of my favorites from my local brewery (I can't stress enough for beer snobs if you are in Dallas-Fort Worth you must go to the Covey). It's not that bitter IMO but IPAs are my favorites.

from the beer menu
Nice. I love Maris Otter malt & I love the Citra hop varietal.

Reaper16
06-30-2010, 11:38 PM
Tonight:

Haandbryggeriet Norwegian Wood: a smoked beer with some juniper berries used in the brewing process. Pretty solid.

Haandbryggeriet Norse Porter: an average porter in every sense. Criminally over-cost for the quality.

Jenson71
06-30-2010, 11:54 PM
Last week I went to Milwaukee and checked out the Miller Plant. As I've said here before, I don't have much a taste for beer, but the free samples of Miller High Life after the tour were really satisfying on such a hot day.

KC native
07-05-2010, 07:18 PM
Had North Coast's Old Rasputin. It was very tasty.

Also, Lagunita's Hop Stupid which was fucking awesome. Highly recommend both.

Reaper16
07-05-2010, 07:36 PM

Also, Lagunita's Hop Stupid which was fucking awesome. Highly recommend both.
Both of those are very, very good. Great bargains, too, relative to how much flavor they deliver.

I'm sipping on a Haandbryggeriet Dark Force (an imperial stout made with wheat malt in addition to barley) right now. It is a solid effort but decidedly less good than an Old Raspy.

kstater
07-05-2010, 07:39 PM
For the price, Rasputin is by far my favorite RIS.

gblowfish
07-05-2010, 08:41 PM
NewPhin's opening post reminds me of the old Monty Python Cheese Shop Sketch.
50 things I've never heard of....

Venezuelan Beaver Cheese?

Reaper16
07-05-2010, 08:59 PM
NewPhin's opening post reminds me of the old Monty Python Cheese Shop Sketch.
50 things I've never heard of....

Venezuelan Beaver Cheese?
Well, now you've heard of them. Seek some of these beers out and enjoy!

OnTheWarpath15
07-05-2010, 09:17 PM

Haven't tried that or Scrimshaw yet, but their Red Seal Ale is one of my favorites.

|Zach|
07-05-2010, 09:59 PM
I am not as knowledgeable as most but enjoy a lot of different beers.

At the office right now and finally had a Mojo IPA my friend brought me from Colorado. Really enjoying it a lot.

If I am out and about I am drinking Boulevard because I like to support the company. Singlewide IPA if they have it or Pale Ale.

Tired most the smoke stack series and have enjoyed it. I lost a bet to my business partner and there is a Tank 7 for him sitting in the fridge for him that I am hoping he cracks open and shares with me. :D

Some random beer thoughts from the past few months.

My roomie let me try a hoegarden or whatever it is...the one DaKCman posted. Not impressed. I also heard everyone falling over themselves for Hopslam. Tried it at Foundry in Westport and it just was not for me. I am not there yet, couldn't even finish it.

I still love love love Bell's (except for Hopslam) beers so much. Big fan of their Amber Ale. I also love having the occasional Blue Moon...reminds me of college. I feel like the only person that doesn't mind having a Boulevard Lunar Ale.

Reaper16
07-05-2010, 10:38 PM
I am not as knowledgeable as most but enjoy a lot of different beers.

At the office right now and finally had a Mojo IPA my friend brought me from Colorado. Really enjoying it a lot.

If I am out and about I am drinking Boulevard because I like to support the company. Singlewide IPA if they have it or Pale Ale.

Tired most the smoke stack series and have enjoyed it. I lost a bet to my business partner and there is a Tank 7 for him sitting in the fridge for him that I am hoping he cracks open and shares with me. :D

Some random beer thoughts from the past few months.

My roomie let me try a hoegarden or whatever it is...the one DaKCman posted. Not impressed. I also heard everyone falling over themselves for Hopslam. Tried it at Foundry in Westport and it just was not for me. I am not there yet, couldn't even finish it.

I still love love love Bell's (except for Hopslam) beers so much. Big fan of their Amber Ale. I also love having the occasional Blue Moon...reminds me of college. I feel like the only person that doesn't mind having a Boulevard Lunar Ale.

HopSlam is the bessssssssst. Well, not the very best. But nearly.

I likes me a BLVD Lunar Ale. It isn't the best beer in the American Dark Wheat Ale style; it isn't even the best American Dark Wheat Ale in the state of MO (Schlafly No. 15 is probably the best beer of its style in the world). But it is darn fine beer to have at lunch with a nice sandwich or at dinner with some pork loin. It is one of those beers that improves with food.

XXXshogunXXX
07-06-2010, 06:12 AM
i knew san diego was up there

http://www.mensjournal.com/top-five-beer-towns

The Top Five Beer Towns in the U.S.

1. SAN DIEGO

An eagerness to experiment and a passion for a pint (or three) put these cities on top.
by Christian DeBenedetti and Seth Fletcher

it’s the new beer capital of the U.S. Stone (maker of our number one ale) exemplifies the local approach, with aggressively hopped but completely drinkable brews. The variety of beers across the city is the most eclectic in the country.

Where to Drink: Thirtieth Street in North and South Parks is easily the nation’s best beer boulevard. Start with any of former firefighter Pat McIlhenney’s range of tap-only ales at the laid-back Hamilton’s Tavern (which taps special casks every Friday), then head to the beer-focused Linkery restaurant, which has frequent beer-pairing dinners. For your after party, hit the Toronado. The beer lists at all three are deep, stacked with the freshest local beers and exotic imports.

Beer Culture: The sheer number of breweries (33) blows us away. (It has crept past Portland, which has 29.) Visit almost any of them and you’ll find the brewmaster on hand, happy to chat over a pint.

Best Brews: Alpine Ale, Lost Abbey Duck-Duck-Gooze

theyre right about toronado's and hamiltons, their bar/lists always come through. Im surprised my watering hole isnt mentioned, obriens.

Reaper16
07-06-2010, 09:30 AM
i knew san diego was up there

http://www.mensjournal.com/top-five-beer-towns

theyre right about toronado's and hamiltons, their bar/lists always come through. Im surprised my watering hole isnt mentioned, obriens.
If I am picking best beer towns in the U.S. then I am starting with San Diego, too. I disagree with that list only in having Chicago there. I'd put Minneapolis ahead of Chicago. Why? Surly and Town Hall, that's why.

Reaper16
07-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Sipping on a bottle of 2009 Founders Nemesis. The 2009 vintage of this annual one-time-only recipe release is a wheatwine aged in maple bourbon barrels.

It needs more time in the cellar. It is still too hot and too sweet.

Shag
07-07-2010, 04:46 PM
Saw a Boulevard Tank 7 for the first time in Minneapolis today, and picked up a bottle, based on it being mentioned around here all the time. Hope it's tasty.

Also grabbed a bottle of Boulevard's Imperial Pilsner collaboration beer, which I'm excited to try...

Reaper16
07-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Saw a Boulevard Tank 7 for the first time in Minneapolis today, and picked up a bottle, based on it being mentioned around here all the time. Hope it's tasty.

Also grabbed a bottle of Boulevard's Imperial Pilsner collaboration beer, which I'm excited to try...
Both are really good. Tank 7 is great, even. I've only had one Saison from America that is better than Tank 7.

Shag
07-07-2010, 05:17 PM
Both are really good. Tank 7 is great, even. I've only had one Saison from America that is better than Tank 7.

Which saison is that?

Reaper16
07-07-2010, 06:07 PM
Which saison is that?
Boulevard's Saison-Brett.

Boulevard have mastered the Saison style. Their brewmaster, Stephen Pauwels, is from Belgium.

Shag
07-07-2010, 06:18 PM
Boulevard's Saison-Brett.

Boulevard have mastered the Saison style. Their brewmaster, Stephen Pauwels, is from Belgium.

Is that distributed outside of MO? I'll have to keep an eye out for it, if it is...