PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Being teammates again in NFL is better than a dream

Tribal Warfare
04-24-2010, 10:38 PM
Being teammates again in NFL is better than a dream (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/04/24/1900400/being-teammates-again-in-nfl-is.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

Kendrick Lewis would see the plays in his mind, the action coming to him while he lay in bed on the night before his games at the University of Mississippi. There was nothing unusual about that to the Rebels defensive back or to his roommate, Dexter McCluster, who did the same thing.

They’d stay up late and compare what they’d seen, McCluster hitting the hole or scoring a touchdown, or Lewis closing in on a ball carrier and delivering a memorable hit.

“Always what we were going to do,” said Lewis, whom the Chiefs selected Saturday in the fifth round of the NFL draft. “Dexter was a guy who used to dream a lot. He used to have dreams the night before games, and he was dreaming about what he was going to do the next day. We used to share those moments.

“I would play a couple series of a game in my head. With him, he would dream of making plays, of scoring a touchdown. Those are the things he talked about. To me, I used to play a couple series in my head before I went to bed.”

It was then that the roommates and friends talked about playing someday in the NFL. They each had been recruited as wide receivers to play at Mississippi, McCluster from Florida and Lewis from Louisiana. Both saw their roles evolve when they arrived in Oxford. Their paths had gone in strangely similar directions. Maybe they’d someday be selected in the same NFL draft. Maybe they’d even play on the same team.

Those conversations became reality Saturday, when Lewis joined McCluster as a Chiefs draft pick. Lewis, who became a standout defensive back for the Rebels, was the Chiefs’ first of two fifth-round selections, at No. 136 overall.

Lewis said it was during their freshman seasons at Mississippi that he and McCluster came to know each other. They would discuss the future, long- and short-term, what might come next. Once Lewis moved to defensive back, he learned the difficulty in slowing the speedy McCluster.

The Chiefs drafted McCluster at No. 36 overall with hopes of using him as a multidimensional weapon. They will list McCluster at wide receiver, but coach Todd Haley didn’t rule out using McCluster as a running back or in some capacity in the Wildcat formation. Lewis is expected to play free safety in the Chiefs’ 3-4 defense.

But before their futures were settled, Lewis and McCluster were just young wideouts trying to earn playing time.

“There was kind of a debate about if I was going to play receiver or if I was going to play safety,” Lewis said. “Early on, I struggled, but once I got into it … I gave it my all.”

Lewis said he likes to play coverage and attack ball carriers, and he’ll join first-round pick Eric Berry in what suddenly appears to be a young and solid safety corps — only a few months after the position was one of the Chiefs’ most visible weaknesses.

“I’ve got a little bit of it all in my arsenal,” Lewis said.

The Chiefs drafted outside linebacker Cameron Sheffield later in the fifth round Saturday to complete a draft that seemed to lean toward helping the defense. The team selected former Alabama cornerback Javier Arenas in the second round.

Lewis said he had no idea Saturday morning that the Chiefs were interested in him. But then the call came. Not long after, a text message appeared from his old roommate.

“It’s on,” Lewis said McCluster wrote to him. “Let’s make it happen.”

HotRoute
04-24-2010, 11:01 PM
"They each had been recruited as wide receivers to play at Mississippi"

so for us to want to use mccluster at wr/rb isnt that far fetched, i think that his highlights speak volumes for him

KCChiefsMan
04-24-2010, 11:02 PM
one mans dream is another mans nightmare

vailpass
04-24-2010, 11:12 PM
Cool.

KCrockaholic
04-24-2010, 11:39 PM
If Lewis is anything like Pollard, it was a great pick for the 5th round.

Marcellus
04-25-2010, 07:26 AM
"They each had been recruited as wide receivers to play at Mississippi"

so for us to want to use mccluster at wr/rb isnt that far fetched, i think that his highlights speak volumes for him

He actually was recruited and played WR in college, they moved him to RB to get him the ball more.

Hog Farmer
04-25-2010, 08:33 AM
Oh great, they're ghey !