PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft I don't really get much out of the draft. Am I weird?

DaFace
04-24-2010, 11:05 PM
Every year, I casually pay attention to what's going on with the Chiefs in the draft, but honestly, I have trouble really caring. The draft is such a crapshoot that I don't really get excited when we get the Berry's of the world, and I don't get all doom-and-gloomy when we draft the Tyson Jackson's. I start to get into team moves once we get to training camp, but until then...meh.

Does that make me a bad fan?

Fish
04-24-2010, 11:06 PM
Other mods?

Bacon Cheeseburger
04-24-2010, 11:08 PM
Yes, you are a terrible fan. Please ban yourself.

RedThat
04-24-2010, 11:09 PM
Every year, I casually pay attention to what's going on with the Chiefs in the draft, but honestly, I have trouble really caring. The draft is such a crapshoot that I don't really get excited when we get the Berry's of the world, and I don't get all doom-and-gloomy when we draft the Tyson Jackson's. I start to get into team moves once we get to training camp, but until then...meh.

No because you are accepting reality.

DaFace
04-24-2010, 11:09 PM
Yes, you are a terrible fan. Please ban yourself.

:sulk:

KcMizzou
04-24-2010, 11:12 PM
Yeah, you kinda suck.

luv
04-24-2010, 11:12 PM
I generally get a little excited when the schedule comes out and during the draft. I like to see who we pick, and then try to follow them to see if they pan out. I tend to be more optimistic, though. I try to see how they can work for our team instead of how they might hinder us. I'm not into the over-analyzing that goes on. Schedule's out, draft is done. Let's get to training camp.

2bikemike
04-24-2010, 11:13 PM

I don't pay attention to College ball so I don't get so excited either. Truth is nobody knows for a fact how any of these guys are gonna handle fame fortune and the transition to the NFL. Thats why there are so many whiffs. The experts get it wrong and certainly BB folks get it wrong. We will know soon enough if any of these guys are worth a crap.

Like Goodell said before the draft. This is all about hopes and dreams. Management hopes and dreams they will make this team better. The players are hoping to fulfill their dreams of playing in the NFL. And we all hope and dream that our teams improve enough to win it all.

luv
04-24-2010, 11:13 PM
:sulk:

Don't worry. I still love you. Well, not literally, but you know what I mean. If that makes you feel any better.

HotRoute
04-24-2010, 11:16 PM
Does this make you a bad fan?

no but i think you may have just become numb to the whole process, the truth is nobody knows how good a player is or how long they might last. not to mention they are playing a sport where there is potential for a career ending injury every time a player steps onto the field, even the best prospects are not invincible. so i understand your logic, it is what it is

BigMeatballDave
Bad fan? No. Weird? Maybe, but not because of this...:)

Seriously though, the Draft for me is VERY exciting. When we selected Berry, for me it was like the Chiefs scored a TD. I wasnt pissed when we took McCluster, just confused. Then I realized in about 10 minutes that he was gonna be used as a Wes Welker. I was pissed, however, that we didnt take Clausen. I'm over it now. I just wanna see how these picks pan out.

BIG K

You are a fucking asshole! How dare you have a life outside of the Chiefs...

j/kLMAO

blaise
04-24-2010, 11:19 PM
I don't care much about the draft either. I waste enough time with sports to start obsessing over draft picks.

Chiefshrink
04-24-2010, 11:20 PM
With the ever growing popularity of fantasy football this correlates with more interest and popularity in the NFL draft IMO.

But I get what you are saying. Until you see them suit up and play in Red and Gold and actually play the game these players are 'just projections'.

HotRoute
04-24-2010, 11:23 PM
i really dont see why people keep comparing welker and mccluster, welker is a good slot guy with great YAC potential, but it was my understanding that mccluster would be used as a wr/rb/qb(wildcat) type guy, aka a multidimensional threat. now they are talking about haveing charles/jones/mccluster all on the field at once most likely in a wildcat variation, that in my opinion is very difficult to defend and will definately be fun to watch.

Chiefshrink
04-24-2010, 11:24 PM
Bad fan? No. Weird? Maybe, but not because of this...:)

Seriously though, the Draft for me is VERY exciting. When we selected Berry, for me it was like the Chiefs scored a TD. I wasnt pissed when we took McCluster, just confused. Then I realized in about 10 minutes that he was gonna be used as a Wes Welker. I was pissed, however, that we didnt take Clausen. I'm over it now. I just wanna see how these picks pan out.

More than just Wes Welker;how about Chris Johnson and Devon Hestor as well:thumb: Being able to throw this dynamic player just about anywhere in the offense and able to be a return man along with Javier Arenas will definitely serve us well..:thumb:

bishop_74
04-24-2010, 11:30 PM
It's kind of fun to see who we get, and it is kind of a halfway point to start the season. It isn't NEARLY as exciting as watching games so I can see where you are coming from.

BigMeatballDave
04-24-2010, 11:35 PM
i really dont see why people keep comparing welker and mccluster, I'm not comparing the 2, I'm saying I think McCluster will be used in that fashion.

KChiefs1
04-24-2010, 11:41 PM
You never know about these guys until you see them in actual game conditions.

big nasty kcnut
04-24-2010, 11:51 PM
I love the draft cause love to see how they pick a player and what make a trade works and stuff like that.

rambleonthruthefog
04-24-2010, 11:56 PM
i get less excited as the picks progress. hell, after the 1st pick i don't care much. and i could give a fat rats ass about any other teams draft

TEX
04-25-2010, 06:30 AM

You must have watched the Chiefs pick in round two this year...

RNR
04-25-2010, 07:00 AM
It is overrated by most people. Bad teams who have what everyone considers a great draft rarely show any improvement that year. I always chuckle when I see draft grades. It is silly to grade a draft until the players have been on the field. You can grade value as in where players were slotted vs where they were taken. Good teams draft well every year and you can tell that by looking back at drafts after time. I enjoy watching the trades and different player rise and fall. That said my interest starts peaking when they start cracking pads~

KCChiefsMan
04-25-2010, 07:51 AM
maybe the passion isn't there for you

Buehler445
04-25-2010, 07:57 AM
No, you're a bad fan because you live in DONKO LAND. :D

Radar Chief
04-25-2010, 08:13 AM
It's not like we have any influence over what happens so it's just not worth expending much emotional energy giving a shit. :shrug:
If your a bad fan and/or weird then we both are, which actually is quite possible so that doesn't really help much. ;)

Reerun_KC
04-25-2010, 08:31 AM
Does this make you a bad fan?

no but i think you may have just become numb to the whole process, the truth is nobody knows how good a player is or how long they might last. not to mention they are playing a sport where there is potential for a career ending injury every time a player steps onto the field, even the best prospects are not invincible. so i understand your logic, it is what it is

I would say on average that 97% or more of the fans actually dont give a shit about the draft, offseason moves, etc...

The vocal message board fans are such a minority, that no one really cares or listens to them in real life. Other than other memebers of that message board.

I have family and friends that have been great Cheifs fans and NFL fans for decades.. Yet could care less about what a BB says about a player or NFL team... They wouldnt miss a Chiefs game for the world, either on TV or at the stadium..

So just because they dont cry about EVERY FREAKING thing on a message board, doesnt mean they lack the knowledge of being Great Chiefs fans...

JBucc
04-25-2010, 08:33 AM
I enjoy the first couple of rounds. After that I haven't heard of most of the people so it's hard to care.

Reerun_KC
04-25-2010, 08:37 AM

Also, its because you have absolutely zero say so in the draft prep or selection of players... So its hard to invest so much emotion into something that you cant do anything about..

Deberg_1990
04-25-2010, 08:46 AM
Also, its because you have absolutely zero say so in the draft prep or selection of players... So its hard to invest so much emotion into something that you cant do anything about..

heh, this...

I realize its fun for alot of guys, Mecca, Hamas, etc.....but they dont act like they are having much fun during the selection process...??

The reality is, the average team is lucky if it can find 2 or 3 guys who can contribute. Looking back, the Chiefs had a great draft back in 08. 5 starters out of 11 picks....thats really solid.

http://www.profootball-fans.com/nfl-draft/2008-nfl-draft/kansas-city-chiefs.html

Of course, the bad teams always have more holes to fill, so they should have more hits than misses...at least thats how its supposed to work??

LaChapelle
04-25-2010, 09:17 AM
I was confused by the people having a hissy fit for not getting NT
How fucking retarted for not getting NT!! Burn down Arrowhead!!
When did Norv Turner become the end all be all

DaFace
04-25-2010, 09:42 AM

True, but the same could be said about all professional sports, for that matter. The most influence I can have over the Chiefs is choosing whether or not to attend a game. Everything else is out of my control.

DenverDanChiefsFan
04-25-2010, 09:55 AM

Does that make me a bad fan?Hell, I just hate that they moved it to a week night - no party at Kevin's house this year. :grr:

DaFace
04-25-2010, 10:03 AM
Hell, I just hate that they moved it to a week night - no party at Kevin's house this year. :grr:

Indeed. And I did enjoy the draft for the social aspect of it, but as you mentioned, that was kind of ruined this year.

We do need to try and get together for at least one game this year. Hit me up closer to the season, and we can pick a date.

Mosbonian
04-25-2010, 10:08 AM
I would say on average that 97% or more of the fans actually dont give a shit about the draft, offseason moves, etc...

The vocal message board fans are such a minority, that no one really cares or listens to them in real life. Other than other memebers of that message board.

I have family and friends that have been great Cheifs fans and NFL fans for decades.. Yet could care less about what a BB says about a player or NFL team... They wouldnt miss a Chiefs game for the world, either on TV or at the stadium..

So just because they dont cry about EVERY FREAKING thing on a message board, doesnt mean they lack the knowledge of being Great Chiefs fans...

You know....the above became more apparent to me this year than ever before. When I chatted with a few other diehard fans (and I mean true diehard fans, since they fly in from KY for every home game) they seemed very "meh" about the draft.

mmaddog

Mr. Laz
04-25-2010, 10:24 AM
it's a nerd thing

you know how cdcox gets a boner from developing a mathematical equation for something?

you know how gochiefs gets wet when he sees a lightsaber?

all nerd things ... it's a football nerd thing. :shrug:

Mr. Laz
04-25-2010, 10:25 AM
like KU recruiting? NCAA tourney brackets?

seclark
04-25-2010, 11:18 AM

i think you're cool...when is the draft anyways?

Iowanian
04-25-2010, 12:13 PM
I watch some college football, but the fact is, in the fall, I'm busy. I'm doing other things, I'm outside, I'm shooting my bow, I'm bow hunting. I listen to some games on the walkman while I'm in a tree, I watch a thursday night game if nothing else is going on and I watch whichever team is playing the teams I like, when I have time to watch them.

I care about the Chiefs enough to have spent 10 years here talking about them, even though they are my bad girlfriend.

I like to kick around the draft possibilities, or more importantly to me, the team needs.

But I sure don't care enough to pretend I'm a film evaluator from a relative's basement or to have my entire draft weekend ruined because it doesn't go exactly the way I've spent 3 months telling myself how it should.

I'll get more interested come OTAs, training camp and as the season gets closer.

In the mean time, I guess I'll work on some honey-dos or spend a rainy day working on a turkey fan or cleaning the spurs instead of crying about a tragic miss by management in R6 of the 2010 draft.