PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft AFC West Draft Review - Yahoo Sports

kc rush
04-26-2010, 11:53 AM
I didn't see this anywhere else. I found it pretty entertaining.

LINK (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/The-draft-in-review-The-AFC-West?urn=nfl,236545)

Denver Broncos: Josh McDaniels is a man who frequently confuses activity with accomplishment, and the 2010 offseason has been no exception. After trading away the last of his offensive playmakers, McDaniels patched up self-created needs by trading down and around like a hyperactive hamster. He wound up with two late first-round picks, spending the first on Georgia Tech receiver Demaryius Thomas, a dynamic downfield receiver who brings a young Michael Irvin (on-field only) to mind. Then, he took the ultimate flyer, drafting Tim Tebow with the 25th overall pick. I'm higher on Tebow's NFL potential than a lot of people, and even I thought this was a graphic reach for a team whose defense collapsed like a soufflé last season. In fact, McDaniels did very little to address the defense in the draft - Oklahoma State cornerback Perrish Cox could be a sleeper, but this was a very odd draft overall.

Kansas City Chiefs: Nobody could question the Chiefs' first-round pick. With the fifth overall selection, they took Tennessee safety Eric Berry, who might be the second-best player in this draft class behind Ndamukong Suh. Berry's on-field instincts are surreal, and he should show Pro Bowl potential from his first minicamp. Ole Miss RB/WR Dexter McCluster, one of the most interesting collegians this season, was taken with KC's second-round pick. The Chiefs will move him to receiver and benefit from his speed in the return game - perhaps he can bring the Dante Hall memories back to life. They also added Alabama speedster Javier Arenas in the second round to add to the return game and provide depth at cornerback. The Chiefs proved that they are committed to the Branden Albert experiment at left tackle with the selection of C/G Jon Asamoah, who was the third-best interior lineman on most boards behind Maurkice Pouncey and Mike Iupati. If Kansas City had selected Berry alone, this draft would be a solid B - that's how good Berry will be.

Oakland Raiders: Folks, we have been transported to an alternate universe - one in which the Oakland Raiders make wise draft picks from top to bottom. No, really! Starting with Alabama Rolando McClain, a natural fit for the 3-4 defense Oakland would seem to be moving to (Maybe? Yes? No?), the Raiders then got a great defensive tackle in Texas' Lamarr Houston. The athletic super-reaches that used to go in the first round? Maryland offensive tackle Bruce Campbell and Clemson speed receiver Jacoby Ford went in the fourth round, right about where they should have. On the offensive tackle front, watch out for Hillsdale's Jared Veldeer, a small-school stud who plays in the style of Tennessee's Michael Roos and New England's Sebastian Vollmer. Add in the trade for quarterback Jason Campbell, and the fact that all they had to give up was a fourth-round pick in 2012 for JaMarcus Russell's replacement, and this Oakland draft can only be seen as an epic win -- especially considering the source. Now, we are left to figure out how it actually happened.

San Diego Chargers: As great a personnel man as A.J. Smith has been over the last decade, he has developed a worrisome trend. He will (over)spend multiple draft picks to go after players he believes in, which has affected the team's depth in recent seasons. This year, Smith put together a deal to take Miami's 12th overall pick and selected Fresno State's Ryan Matthews, quite possibly the best overall running back in the 2010 class. In the third round, they picked up Washington linebacker Donald Butler, who can cover in zones with near-safety speed. To cover their desperate need at nose tackle, Smith took North Carolina's Cam Thomas in the fifth round. Mathews should be worth the pick, but if he isn't, there isn't much else to go on here for a team trying to stay competitive.

Pestilence
04-26-2010, 11:55 AM
Oakland is going to be fucking tough next year.

RustShack
04-26-2010, 11:59 AM
Oakland is going to be fucking tough next year.

Did they get a new owner and Coaching staff?

kepp
04-26-2010, 12:07 PM

True. But they had a great draft and are obviously tossing Russell to the side.

Von Dumbass
04-26-2010, 12:15 PM
Denver addressed it's defense in FA. The only weakness we had on our team last year was defensive line and now all of our DL starters from last year are backups. Denver's biggest needs was at #1 WR and interior line and Denver did a great job addressing those needs, drafting a franchise QB at 25 was just icing on the cake.

notorious
04-26-2010, 12:19 PM
The draft has little to do with anything coming up this season as far as wins/losses go.

For someone to say that this or that is fixed because we drafted Player X is full of shit. In 2 to 3 years you can say something like that, but not the day after the draft.

And KnowMo, keep the hits coming.ROFL

Detoxing
04-26-2010, 12:19 PM
Denver addressed it's defense in FA. The only weakness we had on our team last year was defensive line and now all of our DL starters from last year are backups. Denver's biggest needs was at #1 WR and interior line and Denver did a great job addressing those needs, drafting a franchise QB at 25 was just icing on the cake.

your ability to spin shit is just crazy. You're very good at making yourself believe the things you say. Kudos

penguinz
04-26-2010, 12:22 PM
Denver addressed it's defense in FA. The only weakness we had on our team last year was defensive line and now all of our DL starters from last year are backups. Denver's biggest needs was at #1 WR and interior line and Denver did a great job addressing those needs, drafting a franchise QB at 25 was just icing on the cake.How much grain alcohol is in your koolaid?

WhitiE
04-26-2010, 12:23 PM
your ability to spin shit is just crazy. You're very good at making yourself believe the things you say. Kudos

no shit man. dudes nuckin futs....

notorious
04-26-2010, 12:24 PM

It's his world, and he enjoys it.

Good for him.

the Talking Can
04-26-2010, 12:26 PM

do you pee in your own face while typing these stupid posts?

Von Dumbass
04-26-2010, 12:26 PM

Which part of my post don't you agree with? Because I thought I was pretty spot on.

Woodrow Call
04-26-2010, 12:30 PM
do you pee in your own face while typing these stupid posts?

LMAO

Fruit Ninja
04-26-2010, 12:36 PM
lol, they may have tried to improve their defense, but their offense they went backwards again.

big nasty kcnut
04-26-2010, 12:38 PM
Josh McDaniels is a man who frequently confuses activity with accomplishment ain't that the truth.

Mile High Mania
04-26-2010, 12:50 PM
Josh McDaniels is a man who frequently confuses activity with accomplishment ain't that the truth.

I actually liked that line...

At this point, Josh hasn't proven anything as a HC, so anything he does should be examined with the greatest of microscopes.

Denver is still trying to fix their defense through FA because of the change in style and a few failed (so far) draft picks. They've traded away young offensive talent for essentially more young and not as proven (so far) offensive talent. The Broncos have been stuck in this living life around .500 for several seasons now and honestly, that's about what the upside is for them in 2010 at this point.

Yes, Denver "addressed" a few of their most glaring needs in the draft... but that doesn't mean they've fixed them yet. This team was a two steps forward, two steps backward type of team in 2009... and with yet another round of crazy churn on this team during the offseason, there are going to be bumps in the road.

The Broncos roster is so amazingly different today (April 26, 2010) compared to the final game of Shanahan's era (12/28/2008)... it's really pretty incredible when you look at what McD and X have done to deconstruct the team.

They have taken a team that was .500 in Shanahan's final 3 seasons and maintained that level of winning/losing despite all the churn. So, no... the team hasn't fallen to the cellar, but they're just dog paddling.

We'll see what happens this year... I'm taking the same approach as I did last year, wait and see and hope for the best.

Ugly Duck
04-26-2010, 01:08 PM
The draft has little to do with anything coming up this season as far as wins/losses go.

Here's an interesting stat... last year Oakland was 2-2 with Gradkowski at QB. Durn good chance of the team improving the W/L ratio just by booting Jabbarcus the Hut.

notorious
04-26-2010, 01:12 PM
Here's an interesting stat... last year Oakland was 2-2 with Gradkowski at QB. Durn good chance of the team improving the W/L ratio just by booting Jabbarcus the Hut.

Absolutely agree with that.

Anyone that has common sense knows that Oakland is loaded with talent. An average QB will get them to 8+ wins, a good QB will make them even better.

How many receivers did Jamassive miss on 3rd and 4-6? Almost every time they were in that situation he planted a horrilbe throw into the turf. Achieve just one more 1st down a quarter and you have a completely different game on your hands.

Chris Meck
04-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Campbell is a lot better than a lot of people think, and he's tailor made for that style of offense. They beefed up the offensive line, their talented rookie WR tandem will be a year better, Miller's still there, and they added to the defense. They can really run the ball, and now that there is a competent QB, you can't just stack the box.

That's a pretty good football team. I think they'll win 10, barring any serious injury problems.

notorious
04-26-2010, 01:37 PM
The Raiders need a QB that can hit open WR's. Just about any QB in the NFL can, except Jamassive and maybe Brady Quinn.

To get to the Superbowl level, though, they will need a good-great QB.

Baby steps.

HerculesRockefell
04-26-2010, 01:43 PM

I wouldn't use some of his hyperbole, but he's actually right about the defense to some degree.

Would I have preferred more defensive choices? Yes. But he's right that the weak DL they fielded last year was (hopefully) upgraded through FA and last year's starters are now the backups.

Any writer for a national website should at least have some clue what teams do in FA if they're going to write a draft critique. The same author here ripped on the Giants for taking Paul-Pierre over Brandon Graham on Thursday night, when Graham had been taken by the Eagles two picks earlier.

HemiEd
04-26-2010, 02:16 PM
Campbell is a lot better than a lot of people think, and he's tailor made for that style of offense. They beefed up the offensive line, their talented rookie WR tandem will be a year better, Miller's still there, and they added to the defense. They can really run the ball, and now that there is a competent QB, you can't just stack the box.

That's a pretty good football team. I think they'll win 10, barring any serious injury problems.

Yeah, it sucks don't it?

phillip
04-26-2010, 02:28 PM
They have taken a team that was .500 in Shanahan's final 3 seasons and maintained that level of winning/losing despite all the churn. So, no... the team hasn't fallen to the cellar, but they're just dog paddling.

That's ignoring the complete skid at the end of the year. .500 does not come close to describing that team during the second half of the season.

Flachief58
04-26-2010, 02:28 PM
LMAO cause it's trueDid they get a new owner and Coaching staff?

Mr. Flopnuts
04-26-2010, 02:34 PM

That team plays their hearts out for Tom Cable. I was hoping Davis would fire him. I hate to say it, but they're going to be .500 this year and probably finish 2nd in the AFC West.

Von Dumbass
04-26-2010, 02:43 PM
That's ignoring the complete skid at the end of the year. .500 does not come close to describing that team during the second half of the season.

2006 we started 7-2 and finished 9-7
2007 was garbage
2008 we started 4-1 and finished 8-8

Late season collapses have been the norm in Denver. The end of last season has nothing to do with this year. Denver is a better team now than we were last year.

Von Dumbass
04-26-2010, 02:44 PM
they're going to be .500 this year and probably finish 2nd in the AFC West.
Wrong

CoMoChief
04-26-2010, 02:49 PM
True. But they had a great draft and are obviously tossing Russell to the side.

Jason Campbell isn't exactly something to say "Hooray!!!" about.

Mecca
04-26-2010, 02:55 PM
It is when you had Jamarcus Russell.

Mile High Mania
04-26-2010, 02:56 PM
2007 was garbage

Late season collapses have been the norm in Denver. The end of last season has nothing to do with this year. Denver is a better team now than we were last year.

Supported by what? The FA additions and Rookies haven't played a down... additions and subtractions on paper look nice, but we don't know what to make of this team right now.

The Broncos were not as good as their 6-0 start might have made some believe and they weren't as horrible as their second half slide made them appear. In the end, they were what they've been... a .500 team and right now, they're searching for their identity.

The team (as it is today) has not played enough games as a unit to say "this is our identity on offense or defense. Again, another offseason of tremendous change that has lots of questions and nice upside.

DaFace
04-26-2010, 03:04 PM
KnowMo - I have to ask: Do you intentionally over-inflate the positives and ignore the negatives, or do you actually believe what you say around here? I know it's easy to take sides when you post on a rival team's site, so if that's the case, I don't blame you for that. I also know that people around here tend to go the other direction when responding to your posts. But I am curious if you actually believe everything you say (and are, therefore, the truest homer I've ever known) or if you are aware of how inflated your statements are.

DaneMcCloud
04-26-2010, 03:07 PM

JaMarcuss Russell makes Ryan Leaf look like Peyton Manning in comparison.

With Campbell and Gradkowski, I think you're easily looking at 8-8, if not 9-7 or 10-6.

Flachief58
04-26-2010, 03:10 PM
I hate to agree with a donkeys fan, but I do. Unfortunatly The :arrow: are going through much of the same. You have a bit of a head start when it comes to talent (when you're not trading it away LMAO) but we are moving in the right direction. My best friend is a donkeys fan and the shit talk has already started, so I can't wait till we spank you twice. Other than when you play us, good luck. GO :arrow:Supported by what? The FA additions and Rookies haven't played a down... additions and subtractions on paper look nice, but we don't know what to make of this team right now.

The Broncos were not as good as their 6-0 start might have made some believe and they weren't as horrible as their second half slide made them appear. In the end, they were what they've been... a .500 team and right now, they're searching for their identity.

The team (as it is today) has not played enough games as a unit to say "this is our identity on offense or defense. Again, another offseason of tremendous change that has lots of questions and nice upside.

orange
04-26-2010, 03:20 PM
Supported by what? The FA additions and Rookies haven't played a down... additions and subtractions on paper look nice, but we don't know what to make of this team right now.

They are definitely bigger and they've got more depth. Those two alone should help later in the year.

The only real step back I see is Brandon Marshall. His loss will be felt, but they certainly addressed it. How much ground the new guys make up this first year remains to be seen.

The Broncos are in a curious position right now. If they win, how do they ditch Orton? Maybe we'll see a reprise of Bledsoe/Brady.

Garcia Bronco
04-26-2010, 03:30 PM

Exactly. We addressed our needs.

Garcia Bronco
04-26-2010, 03:31 PM
lol, they may have tried to improve their defense, but their offense they went backwards again.

How so?

InChiefsHell
04-26-2010, 03:34 PM

It's shit like this that makes people look at you funny... :spock:

Hog Farmer
04-26-2010, 03:42 PM
2007 was garbage

That's good because Charles,Jones and McCluster are all eagerly awaiting the Denver game.

KCrockaholic
04-26-2010, 03:58 PM
The horse shit in this thread is awful.

Von Dumbass
04-26-2010, 03:59 PM
KnowMo - I have to ask: Do you intentionally over-inflate the positives and ignore the negatives, or do you actually believe what you say around here? I know it's easy to take sides when you post on a rival team's site, so if that's the case, I don't blame you for that. I also know that people around here tend to go the other direction when responding to your posts. But I am curious if you actually believe everything you say (and are, therefore, the truest homer I've ever known) or if you are aware of how inflated your statements are.
I 100% believe in the things I've said about McDaniels and the direction he is taking the Broncos. I admit I don't mention the negatives a lot, but it's not like a lot of you guys mention the positive things about Denver very often either .

DaFace
04-26-2010, 04:02 PM
I 100% believe in the things I've said about McDaniels and the direction he is taking the Broncos. I admit I don't mention the negatives a lot, but it's not like a lot of you guys mention the positive things about Denver very often either .

Fair enough.

listopencil
04-26-2010, 04:15 PM
...and that's why Yahoo is crap. From their retarded sports section to their viral add-ons that fuck your computer.

Mile High Mania
04-26-2010, 04:16 PM
They are definitely bigger and they've got more depth. Those two alone should help later in the year.

The only real step back I see is Brandon Marshall. His loss will be felt, but they certainly addressed it. How much ground the new guys make up this first year remains to be seen.

The Broncos are in a curious position right now. If they win, how do they ditch Orton? Maybe we'll see a reprise of Bledsoe/Brady.

Hey, the Broncos won a lot of games with Plummer... he was kicked to the curb.

boogblaster
04-26-2010, 07:35 PM
I can acutally say we all might end up 8-8 ...

Mr. Laz
04-26-2010, 07:40 PM
They also added Alabama speedster Javier Arenas in the second round to add to the return game and provide depth at cornerback
Doesn't Arenas run a 4.53/40?

speedster?

Ugly Duck
04-26-2010, 07:43 PM
I can acutally say we all might end up 8-8 ...

All the fan boards would just implode.... there could be no smaq

notorious
04-26-2010, 07:50 PM
All the fan boards would just implode.... there could be no smaq

No, it would get worse.

Oh sorry, after re-reading and actually comprehending your post, it makes sense.

I thought you said this fan-board would implode if we went 8-8. God help us all if that ever happened.