PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Is Berry going to play free or strong?

The Bad Guy
04-26-2010, 04:44 PM
I assumed that he was a free safety most of his career at Tennessee, but upon my research today that wasn't the case.

His most successful season was 08 when he played strong. He had 7 picks for 265 yards and 2 TDs.

I honestly think he's going to be playing more strong safety in the NFL.

What say you?

Pestilence
04-26-2010, 04:45 PM
Who knows.......didn't Page play SS in college?

Shag
04-26-2010, 04:47 PM
With his coverage abilities, I would think FS. But, with the poor run D in front of him, I could also see him lining up at SS. Optimally, I would think FS...

okiedokieokoye
04-26-2010, 04:48 PM
Page has been our FS for the past couple of seasons and done a nice job...why tinker?

The Bad Guy
04-26-2010, 04:49 PM
Who knows.......didn't Page play SS in college?

I think Page would get crushed at SS in the pros. Guy can't tackle.

RJ
04-26-2010, 04:49 PM
That's a good question. All the stuff I read about him being "the next Ed Reed" made me think FS, but I read today he called himself "the next Ronnie Lott". Those are very different players, so hell if I know. FWIW, he looks more like a FS to me.

The Bad Guy
04-26-2010, 04:50 PM
With his coverage abilities, I would think FS. But, with the poor run D in front of him, I could also see him lining up at SS. Optimally, I would think FS...

I think strong and free get a pretty equal amount of opportunities to play in coverage to be honest.

Reaper16
04-26-2010, 04:51 PM
I think strong and free get a pretty equal amount of opportunities to play in coverage to be honest.
This, probably. I think he'll technically start at SS but he's going to be used in all manner of ways.

KCrockaholic
04-26-2010, 04:51 PM
He can do both...Just wherever he is comfortable playing. It's a good question to have when a guy is this versatile. I like him at FS, but nothing wrong with him at SS either.

Iowanian
04-26-2010, 04:54 PM
I've read a time or two that the Chiefs are looking for 2 versatile safeties that can cover and support the run, more hybrid than traditional SS/FS.

I guess it makes sense if they can do it, because it will be easier to disguise coverages and be less predictable with blitzes.

In short, like everyone else, I have no idea. Right now I'd guess either way, we're looking at Page and Berry.

KCrockaholic
04-26-2010, 04:59 PM
I've read a time or two that the Chiefs are looking for 2 versatile safeties that can cover and support the run, more hybrid than traditional SS/FS.

I guess it makes sense if they can do it, because it will be easier to disguise coverages and be less predictable with blitzes.

In short, like everyone else, I have no idea. Right now I'd guess either way, we're looking at Page and Berry.

I don't see another Eric Berry in next years class.....

I don't know where they would find another guy as versatile as him unless they plan to trade for Thomas :)

HMc
04-26-2010, 05:00 PM
Isn't part of his upside that he could do both? Looks to be built more like a FS to me though.
Posted via Mobile Device

the Talking Can
04-26-2010, 05:01 PM
the hope, i'm assuming, is that romeo will be able to deploy him in any number of ways...

i expect to see a lot more looks on d this year with crennel in the house

i'm also looking forward to the chargers game to see if/how berry matches up with Gates...i could see looks where he is used more like a cb

JASONSAUTO
04-26-2010, 05:03 PM
i would say fs.

i think they may try carr or washington at ss
Posted via Mobile Device

KCrockaholic
04-26-2010, 05:05 PM
i would say fs.

i think they may try carr or washington at ss
Posted via Mobile Device

Really? I don't see it considering Carr has never played Safety in his life and Arenas is not ready to be a starting CB.

Mr. Flopnuts
You know how guys on the offense shift around before the snap to fuck with their opponents? Berry is going to do that shit on defense. And it'll probably work because he's fucking awesome.

KCrockaholic
the hope, i'm assuming, is that romeo will be able to deploy him in any number of ways...

i'm also looking forward to the chargers game to see if/how berry matches up with Gates...i could see looks where he is used more like a cb

Berry will have atleast 1 INT in that game. Maybe 2. Just my guess.

Rivers is so used to passing all over our secondary without even thinking that he will forget we have a playmaker back there now.

KCrockaholic
04-26-2010, 05:07 PM
You know how guys on the offense shift around before the snap to **** with their opponents? Berry is going to do that shit on defense. And it'll probably work because he's ****ing awesome.

Air Croyell :( I miss those days.

Micjones
He's versatile enough that he can play either position.

Question is...Will Page be the other starter or will Kendrick Lewis beat him out?

JASONSAUTO

yep, and if we convert another cb to ss we could potentially have 5 players on the field at once that are all pretty fair in coverage.

berry
flowers
carr
washington(assuming he progresses)
arenas.
Posted via Mobile Device

KCrockaholic
04-26-2010, 05:09 PM

Question is...Will Page be the other starter or will Kendrick Lewis beat him out?

I honestly expect Lewis to beat him and Berry to play FS. IDK, but I can see it happening.

Count Zarth
04-26-2010, 05:10 PM
I bet Page will be given a chance to play in the box, just because of his size.

If he fails they'll start putting Berry down there with Page back.

Not an ideal situation but with limited talent, what can you do?

I doubt we see Berry in the box that much to begin with....he wasn't drafted to do that.

JASONSAUTO
04-26-2010, 05:11 PM
Really? I don't see it considering Carr has never played Safety in his life and Arenas is not ready to be a starting CB.

before the draft there were some whispers that carr and washington were going to try safety.

not too much of a stretch IMO since leggett was tried there last year.

carr if washington is ready at cb

washington at safety if not. remember wash. has pretty good size.

arenas as nickle. not starting
Posted via Mobile Device

the Talking Can
04-26-2010, 05:12 PM

i guess i'm not expecting anything from lewis...page isn't great, but he isn't terrible either...but they probably wouldn't have drafted lewis if they were satisfied...

Micjones
04-26-2010, 05:13 PM
i guess i'm not expecting anything from lewis...page isn't great, but he isn't terrible either...but they probably wouldn't have drafted lewis if they were satisfied...

I don't expect anything either, but I think he'll be given a real shot at winning that job.

the Talking Can
04-26-2010, 05:14 PM
yep, and if we convert another cb to ss we could potentially have 5 players on the field at once that are all pretty fair in coverage.

berry
flowers
carr
washington(assuming he progresses)
arenas.
Posted via Mobile Device

and leggett...he's been bouncing b/w safety and cb....

Woodrow Call
04-26-2010, 05:18 PM
I honestly expect Lewis to beat him and Berry to play FS. IDK, but I can see it happening.

Me too. I see nothing in Page at this point and doubt this regime does either considering he is usually injured or ineffective. I think the 4 safeties next year are: Berry and Lewis starting with McGraw and Langford behind them.
Posted via Mobile Device

JASONSAUTO
04-26-2010, 05:28 PM
and leggett...he's been bouncing b/w safety and cb....

i mentioned leggett in an earlier post in this thread, i left him out of that post due to his lack of coverage skills imo. didnt he get burnt quite a few times in coverage last year?

nevertheless, you could throw leggett in there. we could line up in man to man against 5 wide and actually look like a d backfield to be worried about.
Posted via Mobile Device

Consistent1
04-26-2010, 06:03 PM
Fucking Berry this....Berry that. The hell with him. We coulda had Jimmy Mutha-Fuckin' Clausen and we get a damn DB!!! and yes,it is a joke....
Posted via Mobile Device

Pawnmower
04-26-2010, 06:12 PM
I assumed that he was a free safety most of his career at Tennessee, but upon my research today that wasn't the case.

His most successful season was 08 when he played strong. He had 7 picks for 265 yards and 2 TDs.

I honestly think he's going to be playing more strong safety in the NFL.

What say you?

I think Haley has said that the two safeties in his system do 'pretty much the same thing' so in many cases their responsibilities will not be radically different..

I will try and look where I saw that quote, will edit in a few mins.

Here it is:

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/HEAD-COACH-TODD-HALEY-%E2%80%93-Draft-Press-Conference/d5ca7a5e-a9df-44e7-be62-f0d28adcf8e2

Look down a few questions where Haley says "The Ideal situation"

Jethopper
04-26-2010, 06:17 PM
bartee.....nuff said

Count Zarth
04-26-2010, 06:21 PM
People are expecting a lot out of Lewis to have him start already...

Mecca
04-26-2010, 06:24 PM
If they're gonna move someone, move Washington, he's raw so he'd just learn safety instead of CB and he has the size.

Carr however needs to stay where he's at.

Woodrow Call
04-26-2010, 06:30 PM
People are expecting a lot out of Lewis to have him start already...

Not really IMO. He's one their guy and is surrounded by garbage. I think he has pretty good shot.
Posted via Mobile Device

Woodrow Call
04-26-2010, 06:31 PM
If they're gonna move someone, move Washington, he's raw so he'd just learn safety instead of CB and he has the size.

Couldn't agree more.
Posted via Mobile Device

JASONSAUTO
04-26-2010, 06:34 PM

i agree that it should be washington. but i could see them trying carr because they drafted wash.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pawnmower
04-26-2010, 07:04 PM
I dug up the quote, thought I would share it.

I think in an ideal situation we want two balanced safeties that can both do the same thing and I think he [Berry] fits that category

Source:

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/HEAD-COACH-TODD-HALEY-%E2%80%93-Draft-Press-Conference/d5ca7a5e-a9df-44e7-be62-f0d28adcf8e2

KCrockaholic
04-26-2010, 07:05 PM
Yeah but Todd, where are we gonna find 2 safeties that can be as versatile as Berry?

Pawnmower
04-26-2010, 07:06 PM
Yeah but Todd, where are we gonna find 2 safeties that can be as versatile as Berry?

I think he was referring to free versus strong responsibilities, not individual athleticism, check the article out.

Mecca
04-26-2010, 07:07 PM
Interchangeable safeties is pretty much the norm now, it gives you more versatility because you're safeties aren't constantly switching and letting the offense dictate.

They'll probably try it with Page although he's such a bad tackler that it's hard to fathom him being out there again.

rwalke10
04-26-2010, 07:22 PM

Has Page even signed his tender yet?

The Bad Guy
04-26-2010, 07:24 PM
I really have a hard time envisioning Page as the starter. I would think in a perfect world they prepare Morgan for the job. Morgan and Berry as the starters would be really sweet if Morgan gets his shit together.

Mecca
04-26-2010, 07:26 PM
Morgan was thought of as interchangeable when he was drafted, they don't seem to like him much though.

bevischief
04-26-2010, 07:28 PM
He is superman and he will play at once...

Mr. Laz
04-26-2010, 07:35 PM
I don't see another Eric Berry in next years class.....

I don't know where they would find another guy as versatile as him unless they plan to trade for Thomas :)
they could of had Nate Allen in the 2nd round

he went 1 pick after McCluster

Ralphy Boy
04-26-2010, 07:37 PM

That scares the shit out of me. If we spent the #5 pick on a safety, he better play 10 - 12 years and that won't happen if he's slamming into blockers & runners that outweigh him by 20 to 100 lbs. With our craptastic LB's, he'll have to do it but they might get him killed.

Hog Farmer
04-26-2010, 07:50 PM
What is the technical description between SS and FS ?

Hog Farmer
04-26-2010, 07:53 PM
Interchangeable safeties is pretty much the norm now, it gives you more versatility because you're safeties aren't constantly switching and letting the offense dictate.

They'll probably try it with Page although he's such a bad tackler that it's hard to fathom him being out there again.

Oh great ! Now Page is abad tackler too. Maybe the Texans can pick him up .

That's bullshit!

stormtrooper
04-26-2010, 09:01 PM
I say SS. Thats where we got burned last year. I hope he shoves an INT up Rivers' ass on MNF. Either way he will make our whole defense better.

Chiefshrink
04-26-2010, 09:30 PM
He can do both...Just wherever he is comfortable playing. It's a good question to have when a guy is this versatile. I like him at FS, but nothing wrong with him at SS either.

It will probably be decided depending on our competition that week so I agree it will be both.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-26-2010, 09:59 PM
Morgan is the one who can play either position. He's a lot more talented than either Page or Lewis. Ideally, you'd want him to show enough to win the spot.

Count Zarth
04-26-2010, 10:01 PM
I think there's a better chance of Page playing at an average level (which he's done in the past) than Morgan getting his shit together.

Ready to write him off.

Ultimately Page may benefit immensely from Berry's presence. He does have the ability to make plays on the ball.

MoreLemonPledge
04-26-2010, 10:04 PM
I think Haley has said that the two safeties in his system do 'pretty much the same thing' so in many cases their responsibilities will not be radically different..

I will try and look where I saw that quote, will edit in a few mins.

Here it is:

Look down a few questions where Haley says "The Ideal situation"

I was going to say that, but couldn't remember where I read it. Thanks for posting the link.

Saccopoo
04-26-2010, 10:37 PM
What is the technical description between SS and FS ?

The typical strong safety was lined up on the strong side of the formation with the responsibility of covering the tight end and providing run support, while the free safety was primarily a zone coverage guy supporting conerbacks on both sides of the field.

With the increased use of the Tampa 2 type scheme (particularly as it relates to the safety position), the safeties would be responsibly for one half of the field and support the run or the pass to that side.

In a 3-4, the safeties are responsible for the front and back half of the field, with the strong often playing "in the box" (5-10 yards off the line of scrimmage) and used in blitzes and run support and the free safety is used as a rover supporting either side of the field.

Berry has skills that translate to either spot. I think it's going to come down to what other player gives the Chiefs the best player at either position and Berry simply goes to the other spot. Right now, I would imagine that it will be Page at free safety and Berry at strong safety.