PDA

View Full Version : Football SEC getting ready to expand if needed

Mr. Laz
04-26-2010, 08:57 PM
SEC commish: We won't be left in lurch

<script type="text/javascript"> jQuery.getScriptCache('http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/c/?js=espn.tools.r1.js', function() { espn.core.init.tools(5138055,'http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5138055'); }); </script> <cite class="source"> Associated Press
</cite>
<!-- end mod-article-title --> <!-- begin story body --> <!-- template inline -->BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- Southeastern Conference commissioner Mike Slive says the league isn't considering adding teams but is working on a plan to keep up with other conferences if they expand just in case.
The commissioner said Monday that the 12-member SEC hasn't talked to any institutions about joining and has no plans to do so. The expansion exploration is just an internal look at the potential advantages and disadvantages in case there is a "significant shift in the conference paradigm," he said.
Slive didn't elaborate on how much expansion would fit that billing.

"But I'll know," he said.
League expansion has been a hot topic since the Big Ten announced in December that it was considering expanding.
SEC teams have won the past four national titles in football and have lucrative TV deals with CBS and ESPN.
"That doesn't cry for change," Slive said. Any changes would only be made if the league deems it necessary to maintain its prominent position, he said.
"We've always been known to be a creative league, be on the cutting edge," Slive said. "We're not going to allow ourselves in any way, shape or form, to be anything less than what we are now."
He declined to talk about what factors the SEC might look for in potential new members.
"The important thing is we're paying attention, we're going to be strategic, we're going to be thoughtful, but we're not going to relinquish our role as one of the premier conferences," he said.
Slive spoke to editors and writers from the Southeast Region of the Associated Press Sports Editors across the street from his office in downtown Birmingham.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

ChiefsCountry
04-26-2010, 08:58 PM
Unless Big Ten just takes Notre Dame, I think we are headed for 4 16 team super conferences.

Baconeater
04-26-2010, 08:59 PM
Meanwhile, at Big XII headquarters everyone is :ZZZ:

notorious
04-26-2010, 09:00 PM
Unless Big Ten just takes Notre Dame, I think we are headed for 4 16 team super conferences.

That just flat out sucks IMO.

notorious
04-26-2010, 09:00 PM

I really think that the Big 8/Big 12 will desolve in the next 10 years.

Baconeater
04-26-2010, 09:02 PM
I just don't see Notre Dame ever joining a conference unless they're forced to by the NCAA. And I don't see the NCAA doing that.

Mr. Laz
04-26-2010, 09:04 PM
KU and KSU could end up seriously screwed

MU and maybe NU to the big 10
Texas,OU,OSU to the SEC
KU,KSU,ISU leftover to some mid level conference

Reaper16
04-26-2010, 09:06 PM

Texas,OU,OSU to the SEC
They go to the Missouri Valley Conference. Bill Self will finally be forced to figure out how to beat MVC teams.

blaise
04-26-2010, 09:34 PM
I know the cash would be good for a school to go there, but I don't know if I'd really want to if I was Virgina Tech or Clemson or Miami (if they're looking at ACC schools). It would make it harder to get to your league chapionship game in football, I think. If I was Texas or OU I wouldn't be crazy about it unless MU and Nebraska jumped to the Big 10, because at that point the Big 12 would be in trouble. I don't see the benefit to UT or OU to butt heads with LSU and Alabama every year. They have everything they want right now.
I could see maybe West Virginia doing it if they're not happy with the Big East.

Baconeater
04-26-2010, 10:04 PM
If NU and MU both bolted to the Big 10, that would be an epic FU to the Big XII. That's probably too awesome to happen though. My biggest worry is MU leaving on their own and further weakening the north.

OleMissCub
04-26-2010, 10:08 PM
Texas,OU,OSU to the SEC

that'd pretty much ensure that 90% of the time the National Champion would come out of the SEC.

RustShack
04-26-2010, 10:10 PM
If NU and MU both bolted to the Big 10, that would be an epic FU to the Big XII. That's probably too awesome to happen though. My biggest worry is MU leaving on their own and further weakening the north.

I think Oklahoma would move to the north and a Texas school would be added to the south.

blaise
04-26-2010, 10:10 PM
I just don't see Notre Dame ever joining a conference unless they're forced to by the NCAA. And I don't see the NCAA doing that.

Or maybe if NBC doesn't renew whatever deal they have, which I doubt. The northeast is filled with Notre Dame fans. You'd think they played in NY.

Baconeater
04-26-2010, 10:21 PM
I think Oklahoma would move to the north and a Texas school would be added to the south.
I don't see them wanting to mess with the Red River Rivalry. I'm not sure they'd want to split up OU and OSU either.

blaise
04-26-2010, 10:22 PM
I don't see them wanting to mess with the Red River Rivalry. I'm not sure they'd want to split up OU and OSU either.

Yeah, I think they might look at Utah or Boise or one of those schools further west.

RustShack
04-26-2010, 10:30 PM

I wouldn't be worried about losing Oklahoma against Texas... they will still play every year in the Championship game. Hell they could probably still play Ok St every year too.. if not they would at least play every other year which isn't terrible. I think Oklahoma and Texas would be a bigger championship game than Texas and Iowa State will be this year.

Baconeater
04-26-2010, 10:40 PM
I wouldn't be worried about losing Oklahoma against Texas... they will still play every year in the Championship game. Hell they could probably still play Ok St every year too.. if not they would at least play every other year which isn't terrible. I think Oklahoma and Texas would be a bigger championship game than Texas and Iowa State will be this year.
http://www.funnyforumpics.com/forums/i-see-what-you-did-there/1/i_see_what_you_did_there.jpg

KcMizzou
04-26-2010, 10:43 PM
I wouldn't be worried about losing Oklahoma against Texas... they will still play every year in the Championship game. Hell they could probably still play Ok St every year too.. if not they would at least play every other year which isn't terrible. I think Oklahoma and Texas would be a bigger championship game than Texas and Iowa State will be this year.LMAOLMAO

I admire your optimism.

chiefsfan987
04-26-2010, 10:59 PM

Texas,OU,OSU to the SEC

You don't think that if the SEC went to 16 teams they would want Kansas? I'd think they might want Texas, OU, TA&M, and KU.

RustShack
04-26-2010, 11:03 PM
Why would they want KU?

KChiefs1
04-26-2010, 11:07 PM

I'm shocked!:rolleyes:

Don Beebe is the dumbest douchebag I've ever seen...he still doesn't realize what is going on in college sports.:mad:

I could see the Big 12 losing teams to the Big 10, SEC & the Pac 10 if something isn't done quickly.

KcMizzou
04-26-2010, 11:09 PM
I'm shocked!:rolleyes:

Don Beebe is the dumbest douchebag I've ever seen...he still doesn't realize what is going on in college sports.:mad:

I could see the Big 12 losing teams to the Big 10, SEC & the Pac 10 if something isn't done quickly.It's probably too late.

KChiefs1
04-26-2010, 11:10 PM

Is it true that the Kansas legislature will not allow KU & KSU to be separated into two different conferences? I heard that the other day & thought that was kinda stupid if it's the truth.

ChiefsCountry
04-26-2010, 11:22 PM
Big Ten to 16 is mainly a scare tatic to get Notre Dame to join. Big Ten knows to get to 16 they would raid the Big East and destroy that conference. ND knows without the football schools, the BE isn't much. Notre Dame would be screwed.

blaise
04-26-2010, 11:36 PM
Big Ten to 16 is mainly a scare tatic to get Notre Dame to join. Big Ten knows to get to 16 they would raid the Big East and destroy that conference. ND knows without the football schools, the BE isn't much. Notre Dame would be screwed.

No they wouldn't. They'll still get the NBC money for football, and they can always latch onto another conference for basketball, if they even needed to. Even if the Big 10 raids the Big East the Big East would still have plenty for hoops. Georgetown, Villanova, UConn, probably Syracuse, Marquette would still be there. They could add Temple or Xavier or somebody, probably.

Coach
04-26-2010, 11:43 PM
They shouldn't has expanded the Big 8 to begin with anyways.
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiefsCountry
04-26-2010, 11:47 PM
No they wouldn't. They'll still get the NBC money for football, and they can always latch onto another conference for basketball, if they even needed to. Even if the Big 10 raids the Big East the Big East would still have plenty for hoops. Georgetown, Villanova, UConn, probably Syracuse, Marquette would still be there. They could add Temple or Xavier or somebody, probably.

Notre Dame would be screwed in the all-catholic Big East league.

patteeu
04-27-2010, 06:36 AM
You don't think that if the SEC went to 16 teams they would want Kansas? I'd think they might want Texas, OU, TA&M, and KU.

One of these things is not like the others.

patteeu
04-27-2010, 06:39 AM
I like the idea of four 16 team conferences. For tradition's sake, I'd like to see the Big 12 survive and become one of them, but I understand that the financial implications make that unrealistic.

Garcia Bronco
04-27-2010, 07:06 AM
I know the cash would be good for a school to go there, but I don't know if I'd really want to if I was Virgina Tech or Clemson or Miami (if they're looking at ACC schools). It would make it harder to get to your league chapionship game in football, I think. If I was Texas or OU I wouldn't be crazy about it unless MU and Nebraska jumped to the Big 10, because at that point the Big 12 would be in trouble. I don't see the benefit to UT or OU to butt heads with LSU and Alabama every year. They have everything they want right now.
I could see maybe West Virginia doing it if they're not happy with the Big East.

I don't think Miami or Virginia Tech will leave the ACC.

blaise
04-27-2010, 07:24 AM
I don't think Miami or Virginia Tech will leave the ACC.

Me neither. There's no real reason. I could see Clemson going if it was a bigger paycheck for them. They're just a middle of the road team in the ACC, they could be a middle of the road team in the SEC. I know the SEC is a tougher league, but I think Clemson could compete with Ole Miss, Kentucky and even Auburn. It's not like they're competing for BCS bids now, so what do they lose? Then again, I don't know what the SEC really gains with Clemson.
I think the schools the SEC would most want to look at would be West Virginia, South Florida and Virginia Tech. I don't see Tech moving, but I could see West Va being interested. They'd probably rather go to the Big 10, it's a better fit, but if they don't go there the SEC could be a good fit.

Garcia Bronco
04-27-2010, 09:03 AM
Me neither. There's no real reason. I could see Clemson going if it was a bigger paycheck for them. They're just a middle of the road team in the ACC, they could be a middle of the road team in the SEC. I know the SEC is a tougher league, but I think Clemson could compete with Ole Miss, Kentucky and even Auburn. It's not like they're competing for BCS bids now, so what do they lose? Then again, I don't know what the SEC really gains with Clemson.
I think the schools the SEC would most want to look at would be West Virginia, South Florida and Virginia Tech. I don't see Tech moving, but I could see West Va being interested. They'd probably rather go to the Big 10, it's a better fit, but if they don't go there the SEC could be a good fit.

I don't have any inside information for Tech, I just know that we've tried to get into the ACC for over 50 years. I wonder if Georgia Tech will go back to the SEC. I could see WVU going. What about Louisville?