PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports NBA team now protesting immigration

oaklandhater
05-05-2010, 01:36 AM
http://www.examiner.com/x-47137-Milwaukee-Libertarian-Examiner~y2010m5d5-NBA-team-now-protesting-immigration-billTeam-should-help-repay-AZ-taxpayers

May 5, 12:19 AMMilwaukee Libertarian ExaminerKyle O'Boyle

The Phoenix Suns will wear their "Los Suns" jerseys to protest the Arizona immigration bill in their Game 2 matchup against San Antonio. The Managing Partner of the Suns, Robert Sarver, gave some pretty absurd and illogical reasons why the team is protesting the bill when he was interviewed. The game happens to fall on Cinco de Mayo, which helped spur the decision on, but Sarver's statements must be reviewed.
Sarver said “…Arizona's already struggling economy will suffer even further setbacks at a time when the state can ill-afford them.” How does he figure that? Sarver first assumes that this bill is going to cause massive deportations of illegal immigrants, most of which, when caught and deported, will head back into the country when released.
If anything, lessening the number of illegal immigrants in Arizona will actually help their economy. The state has an unemployment rate currently hovering around 9.5%. The more illegal immigrants out of the state, the more jobs that open up for actual citizens.
Sarver continued on, “"I looked around our plane and looked at our players and the diversity in our organization..I thought we need to go on record that we honor our diversity in our team..”. So is Sarver basically saying he supports illegal immigration with that statement because it increases "diversity"? This bill is not about eliminating diversity, it is about addressing the huge and costly number of illegal immigrants in our country. Regardless of an illegal immigrants “diversity” or not, they are still here illegally and as was shown here a few days ago, this bill is not racist or a form of racial-profiling at all, it is just a way of enforcing laws already on the books.

“… (As) I read through the bill, it felt to me a little bit like it was mean-spirited and I personally just don't agree with it. In addition, one of the main priorities right now for our state is to get jobs for people. The enactment of this bill just puts us farther behind the eight-ball in attracting companies to do business here and I think it will have a negative economic effect and a negative effect on our ability to create jobs for people who are looking for work”, Sarver said.
Sarver is saying that attracting companies that hire illegal immigrants is a good thing for his state and their citizens. How does that one work? And people who are looking for work will have more opportunities if companies that hire mostly illegals are not their or are forced to hire only citizens because less illegal immigrants are available for hire.

As for the rest of the jobs and economy part of that statement, that was already addressed, but for Sarver to say the bill was “mean-spirited” must be covered. Allowing law enforcement to do their jobs and uphold the laws by making sure individuals are here legally is somehow “mean-spirited”? Would he think it is “mean-spirited” for police officers to question and arrest a burglar for being on his property illegally? Or are they just doing their job then?
Since he doesn’t “agree with it”, maybe he and his Phoenix Suns organization can start repaying Arizona taxpayers the $1.3 billion (probably more than that currently) illegal immigrants cost them every year. That would be a sweet gesture, and if he does it, then they can wear their ‘Los Suns’ jerseys every game.

jAZ
05-05-2010, 01:48 AM
Smart business move.

FAX
05-05-2010, 02:28 AM
Odd.

FAX

FAX
05-05-2010, 02:45 AM
By the way, if anyone is interested ... the awesome feature film, "The She-Creature" is coming on AMC in about 45 minutes, or so. As one of the greatest movies of all times, this cinematic masterpiece recounts the experiences of a mad hypnotist that is somehow able to hypnotize and regress his lovely assistant thereby transforming her into the prehistoric monster that she was in a past, prehistoric life. It has everything ... hypnosis, lovely assistants with nice tittahs, prehistoric monsters, brutal killings including raw head eating and disembowelment, and a greedy businessman. Enjoy, but don't count on sleeping well because it's freaky scary and based on a true story.

FAX