PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink ChiefsPlanet Cookbook

CosmicPal
05-05-2010, 10:00 AM
I know we've got some foodies on our forum, so we are publishing our very own ChiefsPlanet Cookbook with recipes compiled from the ChiefsPlanet cooks. It is a done deal. Please offer up your recipes for consideration.

If you do not have a recipe to provide, thenwe are also looking for people who would also like to try out some of the recipes at home and provide a review.

Proceeds from the book will go to support our forum and/or some non-profit organization. If anyone wants to suggest one of the player's current charities, please feel free to make your suggestions in this thread.

The recipes would include strong emphasis on tail-gating, grilling, etc. But, that doesn't have to the only theme, you are free to submit your favorite recipes of any kind.

The categories include the following (Numbers in front indicate how many recipes we have thus far):

0 Brunch & Breads
2 Appetizers
2 Drinks
1 Soups & Salads
2 Sides & Bites
1 Vegetables
0 Pasta, Rice & Grains
3 Fish & Seafood
9 Meat & Poultry
0 Desserts & Treats
0 Lighter Sides
0 Sauces & Rubs

Submit your recipes in the body of thread or PM me.

Include the Category type, the Name of the Recipe, Prep time, Servings, the list of Ingredients, Directions and Additional Notes in full.

EXAMPLE RECIPE

Submitted by Ken (or your ChiefsPlanet username), Tampa, FL (Location)

Appetizers & Drinks (Category Type)

Beer Margaritas (Name of Recipe)

5 Minutes (Prep Time)

6 servings (Servings)

Ingredients

1 (12 fluid ounce) can frozen limeade concentrate
12 fluid ounces tequila
12 fluid ounces water
12 fluid ounces beer
ice
1 lime, cut into wedges

Directions

Pour limeade, tequila, water, and beer into a large pitcher. Stir until well-blended, and limeade has melted. Add plenty of ice, and garnish with lime wedges. Adjust with additional water, if needed.

Additional Notes
The perfect compliment to your Cinco De Mayo festivities or any summer party. I use the limeade can for measurements.

Final Draft Designer: Lumpy
Submit any rough draft graphics/layouts for consideration to Lumpy.

Final Draft Editor: Fire Me Boy!

Jilly
05-05-2010, 10:01 AM
I think this is a great idea

CosmicPal
05-05-2010, 10:03 AM
I think this is a great idea

Thank you! :D

luv
05-05-2010, 10:06 AM
I'm in. You doing the collecting and organization of recipes?

CosmicPal
05-05-2010, 10:11 AM
I'm in. You doing the collecting and organization of recipes?

Yes, I can do that. I'd like to find the most economical way of doing this and I know we've got some guys on here with some mean graphic skills, so maybe someone would volunteer in that department.

I'd like for us to compile a well-rounded list of recipes.

Also, I would like for people to volunteer to test some of the recipes at home and make sure the recipes come out well and provide their feedback which could be used in the cookbook.

luv
05-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Yes, I can do that. I'd like to find the most economical way of doing this and I know we've got some guys on here with some mean graphic skills, so maybe someone would volunteer in that department.

I'd like for us to compile a well-rounded list of recipes.

Also, I would like for people to volunteer to test some of the recipes at home and make sure the recipes come out well and provide their feedback which could be used in the cookbook.

With as many dieters as we have on this board, you might include "Lighter Side" recipes. I'd be willing to test those out.

Or, include in recipes what can be substituted to make a dish "healthier".

CosmicPal
05-05-2010, 10:14 AM
With as many dieters as we have on this board, you might include "Lighter Side" recipes. I'd be willing to test those out.

I did include "Soups & Salads" :D

But that is a great suggestion. I'll add "Lighter Side" to the list.

Lumpy
05-05-2010, 10:16 AM
<------- Over 15 yrs in graphic design. Just let me know if you need my help.

CHENZ A!
05-05-2010, 10:18 AM
This is a good idea.

Make sure to have people take pics of the food they make to accompany the recipe.
Posted via Mobile Device

RedNFeisty
05-05-2010, 10:18 AM
I will be glad to pitch in a few meal idea's. I would also be willing to test a few others.

A thought CosmicPal, people should put what category their dish should go under in the "Title" box. It would make it simpler to sort through.

RedNFeisty
05-05-2010, 10:19 AM
This is a good idea.

Make sure to have people take pics of the food they make to accompany the recipe.
Posted via Mobile Device

Good thought! But, I am very lazy, maybe some with pictures and some without!! I could take pictures of the recipes I try out.

CosmicPal
05-05-2010, 10:20 AM
<------- Over 15 yrs in graphic design. Just let me know if you need my help.

Would you like for me to add you to a list of possible candidates or would you like to take the rein and be the graphic designer on this project?

Fat Elvis
05-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Make sure you give credit to the folks who submit accepted recipes, and perhaps include their photo with the recipe along with a picture of the food.

FAX
05-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Excellent idea. I would like to offer my famous iced tea recipe.

FAX

Lumpy
05-05-2010, 10:27 AM
Would you like for me to add you to a list of possible candidates or would you like to take the rein and be the graphic designer on this project?

Sign me up as final draft designer. If others want to help with rough draft graphics/layout then they can send them to me and I can prepare them for final print.

CosmicPal
05-05-2010, 10:28 AM
Make sure you give credit to the folks who submit accepted recipes, and perhaps include their photo with the recipe along with a picture of the food.

Will do. I was just thinking about that too.

If you guys want to use your real name, but don't wish to share it in the forum, you may PM me in confidentiality. The same goes for any photos, bio, etc.

Or you may use your ChiefsPlanet username.

CosmicPal
05-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Sign me up as final draft designer. If others want to help with rough draft graphics/layout then they can send them to me and I can prepare them for final print.

Consider it done. :thumb:

RedNFeisty
05-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Beer Can Baked Chicken

Serves 4-6

1 Whole chicken
Olive Oil
1/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 can beer
1 aluminum pan

* Clean chicken and cover with oil
* Sprinkle combined spices on chicken, as well as inside the chicken
* Open beer can and make additional holes with a can opener.
* Pour off 1/4 of the beer
* Place can with remaining beer in the cavity between the chicken's legs
chicken will be standing upright.
* Place on aluminum pan and place on grill for 1.5 to 2 hours with grill
covered.
* Use meat thermometer to check for temperature should be 180 degrees.

Simply Red
05-05-2010, 10:41 AM
I'm clueless in the kitchen.

CosmicPal
05-05-2010, 11:04 AM
I'm clueless in the kitchen.

You can nominate yourself as a taste-tester. We need willing recipients to try out some of the recipes and provide their feedback.

CosmicPal
05-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Excellent idea. I would like to offer my famous iced tea recipe.

FAX

Feel free to submit any of your recipe ideas in full.

Gonzo
05-05-2010, 11:08 AM
I can do up some dishes, I'm great with Italian fare and any wild game that you can think of. I'm a great bbq'er but I'm sure they're are some people on here better than me. Let me know what you need.
Posted via Mobile Device

CosmicPal
05-05-2010, 11:13 AM
I can do up some dishes, I'm great with Italian fare and any wild game that you can think of. I'm a great bbq'er but I'm sure they're are some people on here better than me. Let me know what you need.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sweet. :thumb:

I should emphasize that this is not a matter of who's better, nor is it a competition. If you have a few recipes you love and wish to share with everyone, and be included in the book, then feel free to submit as many as you'd like.

ClevelandBronco
05-05-2010, 11:18 AM
I'll have to dig up the recipe for:

Kansas City Playoff Chances Cocktail

Let's see.

3 oz. Prestone...

Gonzo
05-05-2010, 11:19 AM
Ok. I'll do a few. I can do wasabi venison medallions, poor mans phesant and dumplings, (it's awesome) I'll throw in some venison back strap recipies and baked ziti. Let me think of some others.
Posted via Mobile Device

sedated
05-05-2010, 11:24 AM
This is a good idea.

Posted via Mobile Device

pictures are a must for a cookbook, but if this is going to be a legit endeavor, I'm not sure a blurry camera-phone pic would be taken very seriously.

Perhaps an arrangement with a CP photographer could be made for some nice sharp pics could be made (but in that case, all the food would have to be made in one location on one day)

luv
05-05-2010, 11:30 AM
pictures are a must for a cookbook, but if this is going to be a legit endeavor, I'm not sure a blurry camera-phone pic would be taken very seriously.

Perhaps an arrangement with a CP photographer could be made for some nice sharp pics could be made (but in that case, all the food would have to be made in one location on one day)

Or you could invest in a digital camera.

luv
05-05-2010, 11:30 AM
You can nominate yourself as a taste-tester. We need willing recipients to try out some of the recipes and provide their feedback.

Who's going to make the dishes for him?

CosmicPal
05-05-2010, 01:46 PM
Or you could invest in a digital camera.

Good idea.

However, I don't want to discourage people from submitting recipes thinking they must take a pic of the item. We'll work something out regarding images. Not all the recipes must include a picture. Besides, we want to keep the cost of production down while making the cookbook affordable for everyone.

Pitt Gorilla
05-05-2010, 01:58 PM
The Planet is littered with great recipes. I would suggest that you focus heavily on barbecue (and related items), as that seems to be the expertise of many. I'm not saying you shouldn't have the other stuff, but a Chiefs fan-related cookbook screams BBQ in my mind.

CosmicPal
05-05-2010, 02:03 PM
The Planet is littered with great recipes.

And therein lies the inspiration behind the Planet Cookbook.

Since this is a football thread, I'd like to keep it a tail-gating theme, but I also don't want to discourage people from submitting their favorite home recipes as well. For example, if someone has a great Italian recipe, I don't want to discourage them from sharing it because they feel like it's not appropriate for a tail-gate party. Once we get a load of recipes submitted, we can determine the theme then, should there be one.

Pitt Gorilla
05-05-2010, 02:04 PM
Pitt Gorilla's Simple Smokies

2 packages of little smokies
1 cup of grape jelly
1 cup of mustard

Heat all ingredients in slow cooker until thoroughly warm.

Fried Meat Ball!
05-05-2010, 02:06 PM
I'm in...

Suggested categories

Sauces, Mops and Rubs
Apricot Preserves
Barley & Me
Liquid Smoke & Fire
Cast Iron Man

Fried Meat Ball!
05-05-2010, 02:07 PM
Tailgating emphasis, but what about a non-tailgating section?

Simply Red
05-05-2010, 02:07 PM
I'm in...

Suggested categories

Sauces, Mops and Rubs
Apricot Preserves
Cast Iron & You

FAIL you're missing two KEY components.

Fried Meat Ball!
05-05-2010, 02:08 PM
FAIL you're missing two KEY components.

Barley and liquid smoke, I know.

I edited the previous one. I couldn't come up with catchy names until the edit.

Fried Meat Ball!
05-05-2010, 02:12 PM
So now we have:

Sauces, Mops and Rubs
Apricot Preserves
Barley & Me (Heh... Marley & Me... I crack myself up.)
Liquid Smoke & Fire (Not as good as Barley and Me, but what do you want for nothing?)
[Cast] Iron Man ([Cast] Iron Man.... that's right. I still got it.)

CosmicPal
05-05-2010, 02:14 PM
Tailgating emphasis, but what about a non-tailgating section?

I've stated that I don't want to discourage people from submitting their favorite recipes, so it can be anything you'd like.

Fried Meat Ball!
05-05-2010, 02:14 PM
I've stated that I don't want to discourage people from submitting their favorite recipes, so it can be anything you'd like.

I just thought a section to wrangle it together might be easy.

CosmicPal
05-05-2010, 02:18 PM
I just thought a section to wrangle it together might be easy.

Precisely. Should we receive enough recipes, we will have a section entirely devoted to Tailgating/BBQ Recipes.

I just wanted to also emphasize that people can submit their favorite Italian, Mexican, breakfast, desserts, pizzas, drinks, etc...

Lumpy
05-05-2010, 02:19 PM
How about if the cookbook pages were designed to look like you're reading a thread on CP? I think if everyone posts their recipes, like RedNFeisty did on this thread, the overall layout would take less time to set-up.

CosmicPal
05-05-2010, 02:21 PM
How about if the cookbook pages were designed to look like you're reading a thread on CP? I think if everyone posts their recipes, like RedNFeisty did on this thread, the overall layout would take less time to set-up.

Create a sister site entirely devoted to ChiefsPlanet recipes?

Fried Meat Ball!
05-05-2010, 02:22 PM
Just the editor in me wanting to make sure everything is properly proofed and laid out under a common style. I'll be happy to provide first or final proofing - it's a talent that I can pick a lot of that stuff out very quickly.

tooge
05-05-2010, 02:22 PM
I have lots of good "recipes" but rarely keep track of the measured amounts.

Fried Meat Ball!
05-05-2010, 02:23 PM

I'd buy the cookbook. I'm a cookbook junkie. I have a ton. And I never cook out of them. I read them like novels. I even read recipes I'm not interested in making.

I should have gone to culinary school. :grr:

Fried Meat Ball!
05-05-2010, 02:24 PM
I have lots of good "recipes" but rarely keep track of the measured amounts.

Me too. I'd have to cook them and take note.

sedated
05-05-2010, 02:27 PM
Kind of like the inspiration behind most message boards like this one, they seem to be better/more successful when they are focused around a common theme, otherwise they get pretty scattered and the connection between the topics involved gets faded. There are thousands of general cookbooks out there. If it’s a football message board book, it may be better to keep that as the focus, i.e. tailgating and game-day snacks.

For example, a deserts section could be KC-area related, or Chiefs related, even if it means throwing red and yellow icing on a cake.

Lumpy
05-05-2010, 02:31 PM

No. Designing the printed pages like you're actually looking at the CP site.

Something like this...

Fried Meat Ball!
05-05-2010, 02:32 PM

Something like this...

The avatar design would be pretty cool, but would force the printing into four-color to look half-way decent. That will raise the price significantly.

CosmicPal
05-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Kind of like the inspiration behind most message boards like this one, they seem to be better/more successful when they are focused around a common theme, otherwise they get pretty scattered and the connection between the topics involved gets faded. There are thousands of general cookbooks out there. If it’s a football message board book, it may be better to keep that as the focus, i.e. tailgating and game-day snacks.

For example, a deserts section could be KC-area related, or Chiefs related, even if it means throwing red and yellow icing on a cake.

Excellent points.

However, there is nothing wrong with making a "general" cookbook that includes a section devoted entirely to tailgating/grilling/Chiefs theme. After all, this is ChiefsPlanet and just like the forum isn't entirely dedicated to all things Chiefs/football related, the cookbook is to represent those who are members of ChiefsPlanet.

I just don't want to discourage those who want to share their non-tailgating items as well.

CosmicPal
05-05-2010, 02:38 PM

Something like this...

Sweet. I like that. :thumb:

CosmicPal
05-05-2010, 02:40 PM
Just the editor in me wanting to make sure everything is properly proofed and laid out under a common style. I'll be happy to provide first or final proofing - it's a talent that I can pick a lot of that stuff out very quickly.

Just say the word, and you're the editor.

Lumpy
05-05-2010, 02:41 PM
The avatar design would be pretty cool, but would force the printing into four-color to look half-way decent. That will raise the price significantly.

This is true. Printing costs aside, another issue would be the user's avatar, (there are some not-so-cookbook-friendly avatars on here). I guess we could always fuzz them out for the book. LMAO

Simply Red
05-05-2010, 02:44 PM
I'm starting to see that Lumpy has mad skillzzz, do yo damn thang girl!

RJ
05-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Me too. I'd have to cook them and take note.

Same here. I have a general idea of quantities but it's usually by eye. And then there's the ingredients, which are often determined by what's on hand. Might be fun to write it all down into actual recipes, though. And besides, I've been promising my sons I would get around to doing that someday

Lumpy
05-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Sweet. I like that. :thumb:

I'm starting to see that Lumpy has mad skillzzz, do yo damn thang girl!

;)

Mad skillz. I has 'em!

sedated
05-05-2010, 03:02 PM
This is true. Printing costs aside, another issue would be the user's avatar, (there are some not-so-cookbook-friendly avatars on here). I guess we could always fuzz them out for the book. LMAO

what about moving avatars? :D

luv
05-05-2010, 03:03 PM

We need to make a still of yours to put in the Lighter Side section as motivation.

Jilly
05-05-2010, 03:06 PM
man I'm starving

Lumpy
05-05-2010, 03:12 PM

Turn them into a still and make them a scratch-and-sniff? :D

CosmicPal
05-05-2010, 03:29 PM
Same here. I have a general idea of quantities but it's usually by eye. And then there's the ingredients, which are often determined by what's on hand. Might be fun to write it all down into actual recipes, though. And besides, I've been promising my sons I would get around to doing that someday

Consider this your inspiration to do so. :D

Fried Meat Ball!
05-05-2010, 03:44 PM
So now we have:

Sauces, Mops and Rubs
Apricot Preserves
Barley & Me (Heh... Marley & Me... I crack myself up.)
Liquid Smoke & Fire (Not as good as Barley and Me, but what do you want for nothing?)
[Cast] Iron Man ([Cast] Iron Man.... that's right. I still got it.)

Is this thing on?

aturnis
05-05-2010, 04:14 PM
Good idea.

However, I don't want to discourage people from submitting recipes thinking they must take a pic of the item. We'll work something out regarding images. Not all the recipes must include a picture. Besides, we want to keep the cost of production down while making the cookbook affordable for everyone.

As far as the pictures go, if someone isn't set up to provide them, maybe some folks could volunteer to make a dish or two, and take pictures. Maybe even rate or review it.

Chief Chief
05-05-2010, 04:33 PM
Ingredients

1 (12 fluid ounce) can frozen limeade concentrate
12 fluid ounces tequila
12 fluid ounces water
12 fluid ounces beer
ice
1 lime, cut into wedges

Directions

Pour limeade, tequila, water, and beer into a large pitcher. Stir until well-blended, and limeade has melted. Add plenty of ice, and garnish with lime wedges. Adjust with additional water, if needed.

PLEASE IMMEDIATELY REMOVE THIS RECIPE FROM THE PROPOSED COOKBOOK AS WATERING DOWN ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES OF ANY KIND IS JUST PLAIN WRONG AND IS A POOR AND INACCURATE REFLECTION ON THE OVERWHELMING MAJORITY OF CHIEFSPLANET MEMBERS AND CHIEFS FANS THROUGHOUT THE CHIEFS KINGDOM!!

Fried Meat Ball!
05-05-2010, 04:42 PM
As far as the pictures go, if someone isn't set up to provide them, maybe some folks could volunteer to make a dish or two, and take pictures. Maybe even rate or review it.

I think unless you're doing four-color the pics will be worthless. JMO.

KC Jones
05-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Here's my culinary contribution:

red meat + lawry's seasoned salt + grill

Fried Meat Ball!
05-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Just say the word, and you're the editor.
I'd be happy to.

CHENZ A!
05-05-2010, 06:45 PM
PLEASE IMMEDIATELY REMOVE THIS RECIPE FROM THE PROPOSED COOKBOOK AS WATERING DOWN ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES OF ANY KIND IS JUST PLAIN WRONG AND IS A POOR AND INACCURATE REFLECTION ON THE OVERWHELMING MAJORITY OF CHIEFSPLANET MEMBERS AND CHIEFS FANS THROUGHOUT THE CHIEFS KINGDOM!!

concentrate real hard.........

FAX
05-05-2010, 07:45 PM
Feel free to submit any of your recipe ideas in full.

Awesome. Thanks, Mr. CosmicPal.

I think I remember actually starting a thread about FAX's Ice Tea recipe. I'll see if I can find it.

This is exciting.

FAX

FAX
05-05-2010, 07:50 PM

I think I remember actually starting a thread about FAX's Ice Tea recipe. I'll see if I can find it.

This is exciting.

FAX

Found it. It's the first post.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=164958

FAX

RJ
05-05-2010, 08:23 PM

This is exciting.

FAX

Don't forget the biscuits.

Iced tea and biscuits......mmmmmmmm.....

CHENZ A!
05-05-2010, 08:31 PM
yo is that beer margarita stuff pretty good? Obviously you just mix it to taste, but could be ok.

Also there should definitely be a cocktails section in the book. OR people could submit a recipe, and an accompanying cocktail/beer/wine/etc pairing.

CosmicPal
05-05-2010, 09:01 PM

Why don't you just try the recipe first sporto.

It's a beer margarita mix I use all the time that happens to garner rave reviews from those who tried it. And despite the water addition, it is a very strong drink. So drink it at your own risk. And be 21 or over.

CosmicPal
05-05-2010, 09:04 PM
yo is that beer margarita stuff pretty good? Obviously you just mix it to taste, but could be ok.

It is excellent! I just pull out a large pitcher and fill it with all those ingredients. I'll also chop up a lime into wedges and drop them into the pitcher sometimes.

Also there should definitely be a cocktails section in the book. OR people could submit a recipe, and an accompanying cocktail/beer/wine/etc pairing.

There is a "cocktails" heading under "Appetizers & Drinks"

Feel free to submit your favorite alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks.

CHENZ A!
05-05-2010, 09:05 PM
It is excellent! I just pull out a large pitcher and fill it with all those ingredients. I'll also chop up a lime into wedges and drop them into the pitcher sometimes.

There is a "cocktails" heading under "Appetizers & Drinks"

Feel free to submit your favorite alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks.

I'll prob submit a dish and a drink. Just need to decide on one of each, and write them up.

CosmicPal
05-06-2010, 01:12 PM
bump

keg in kc
05-06-2010, 01:51 PM
I think you should call that first recipe "Beergaritas".

I think that's going to be the limit of my contributions to this project.

Not a culinary wizard.

CosmicPal
05-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Hmmm...is the cookbook losing interest? That's sad because it seemed to have generated some serious interest at first.

Let's get those recipes in folks! If you do not wish to share your recipe on the thread, you may PM me your recipes you'd like to be considered for the book.

AustinChief
05-07-2010, 01:05 PM
-Wolverine-

Fill 16oz glass halfway with ice then add...

1 oz Bacardi 151
1 oz Bacardi Limon
1 oz Absolut Citron
sweet/sour to almost fill then a dash of soda.

stir/shake and serve.

suprisingly smooth for the amount of alcohol

CosmicPal
05-07-2010, 01:20 PM
-Wolverine-

Fill 16oz glass halfway with ice then add...

1 oz Bacardi 151
1 oz Bacardi Limon
1 oz Absolut Citron
sweet/sour to almost fill then a dash of soda.

stir/shake and serve.

suprisingly smooth for the amount of alcohol

You can bet I'll be taste-testing this glorious looking concoction. :D

Fried Meat Ball!
05-07-2010, 03:16 PM
I'll get some in this weekend.

big nasty kcnut
05-09-2010, 01:52 PM
Ok The essex blast

Get a glass with ice
2 shot of vodka
Then get some squirt soda
fill to top stir or shaken
enjoy.

Gonzo
05-09-2010, 07:31 PM
Hmmm...is the cookbook losing interest? That's sad because it seemed to have generated some serious interest at first.

Let's get those recipes in folks! If you do not wish to share your recipe on the thread, you may PM me your recipes you'd like to be considered for the book.

Sorry man, I'll get something posted this week.
Posted via Mobile Device

NewChief
05-10-2010, 05:41 AM
Why don't you just try the recipe first sporto.

It's a beer margarita mix I use all the time that happens to garner rave reviews from those who tried it. And despite the water addition, it is a very strong drink. So drink it at your own risk. And be 21 or over.

Just made that basic recipe on Friday night. We use 7Up instead of water, though. The recipe was given to us as the secret recipe of a friend's aunt that's been in the family for a while and supposedly has quite a mythos around it.

Turns out its' the recipe from a chick novel called The Sweet Potato Queens.

KCFalcon59
05-10-2010, 10:20 AM
Ok The essex blast

Get a glass with ice
2 shot of vodka
Then get some squirt soda
fill to top stir or shaken
enjoy.

You can improve this with a salted rim and grapefruit juice and Gin. Much better.

CosmicPal
05-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Just made that basic recipe on Friday night. We use 7Up instead of water, though. The recipe was given to us as the secret recipe of a friend's aunt that's been in the family for a while and supposedly has quite a mythos around it.

Turns out its' the recipe from a chick novel called The Sweet Potato Queens.

How was it with the 7-Up instead of the water? That would work very well, however, I would think that would be too much lime for one drink. Next time I make the drink, I'll try it with 7-Up instead of water.

NewChief
05-10-2010, 12:11 PM
How was it with the 7-Up instead of the water? That would work very well, however, I would think that would be too much lime for one drink. Next time I make the drink, I'll try it with 7-Up instead of water.

I've never tried it with water, but it's always a hit when we serve it. Very easy drinking and packs a serious punch.

CosmicPal
05-10-2010, 12:17 PM
I've never tried it with water, but it's always a hit when we serve it. Very easy drinking and packs a serious punch.

Do you have a favorite beer you use in the recipe?

NewChief
05-10-2010, 12:29 PM
Do you have a favorite beer you use in the recipe?

It calls for Corona, which I generally hate as a beer... but we use it in this recipe.

CosmicPal
05-10-2010, 12:33 PM
It calls for Corona, which I generally hate as a beer... but we use it in this recipe.

Yeah, I don't care for Corona, but I've often wondered if it wouldn't be the perfect beer for this recipe. I'll have to try it with Corona and 7-Up next time. :thumb:

CarlPeterson_fan
05-10-2010, 12:51 PM
Will there be a digital version available? I would prefer to buy a digital copy, then I can print my own, while having a backup if pages get ruined. Plus, it would lower the cost for the project, thereby increasing profits. And you know me. Profits are all that matter.

CosmicPal
05-10-2010, 02:36 PM
Will there be a digital version available?

That is a possibility. For now, we are planning on a book version we can sell online and in stores.

However, there's not going to be any cookbook if we don't start receiving some recipes on here. :D

CarlPeterson_fan
05-10-2010, 03:26 PM
I can give you a recipe for a five year plan.

Ingredients:
Marty Schottnheimer
Derrick Thomas
A great offensive line
Awesome defense
Full stadium

Directions:
Combine these ingredients, top em off a little Dick Vermeil and Herm Edwards. Let it simmer for 2 decades. It may not be the most satisfying dish on the table, but it kept me working for about 20 years.

ToddHaley
05-10-2010, 03:40 PM
I can give you a recipe for a five year plan.

Ingredients:
Marty Schottnheimer
Derrick Thomas
A great offensive line
Awesome defense
Full stadium

Directions:
Combine these ingredients, top em off a little Dick Vermeil and Herm Edwards. Let it simmer for 2 decades. It may not be the most satisfying dish on the table, but it kept me working for about 20 years. Again, your players were fat and lazy across the boards.
Posted via Mobile Device

AustinChief
05-10-2010, 05:13 PM
Here is my recipe for Scotch Eggs...

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=5446578&postcount=17

AustinChief
05-10-2010, 05:14 PM
I'll post my Scrappy Jack sandwich recipe when I get a sec as well.

CosmicPal
05-10-2010, 05:17 PM
Here is my recipe for Scotch Eggs...

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=5446578&postcount=17

I am going to have to try that. This sounds delicious. :thumb:

If anyone wants to taste-test ANY of these recipes, please do so and give me your feedback/review.

Thanks.

RedNFeisty
05-10-2010, 06:09 PM
I am going to have to try that. This sounds delicious. :thumb:

If anyone wants to taste-test ANY of these recipes, please do so and give me your feedback/review.

Thanks.

Need to some way get the recipes away from the chatter.

Bugeater
05-10-2010, 06:14 PM
I do have a few submissions to make as soon as I can get the Mrs to put them on paper for me, hopefully in the next couple days I'll have them.

RedNFeisty
05-10-2010, 06:27 PM
Grilled Mahi Mahi with Citrus Butter
Came from Timberline steakhouse & Grill

Serves 6
Prep Time 5 minutes

Citrus Butter
1 teaspoon orange zest, grated
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest, grated
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon lime zest
1 teaspoon lime juice
3 tablespoons freash parsley, minced
1/4 pound butter, softened
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Mix all ingredients in a small bowl. Transfer to a sheet of parchment paper and shape butter mixture in a 6" x 6" log. Wrap and freeze until the butter is firm, about 30 minutes. Can be frozen up to six months.

Grilled Mahi Mahi
6 8-ounce portions Mahi Mahi
1/2 ounce vegetable oil
1 teaspoon McCormick's Monteal seasoning

Brush vegetable oil on both sides of the fish. Sprinkle on eh seasoning. Place fish on hot grill and cook until done. Place a 1-inch piece of citrus butter on the fish and serve.

RedNFeisty
05-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Easy, No-turn Grilled Salmon

Serves 6
Prep time10 minutes

Salmon Marinade

juice from 1 each: orange, lime and lemon
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup dry white wine
1/3 cup fresh mint, finely diced
1/3 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely diced
1/3 cup fresh chives, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, finely diced
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 large Atlantic salmon fillet, cut into individual servings

*Place fish and marinade in plastic bag for 30 minutes, will time will make it mushy.

*Create a high heat fire built on one side of the grill; spray or rub the clean, cold side of grill surface with vegetable oil and place fish portions evenly spaced opposite the fire.

*Cover and cook indirectly for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown; don't turn!!

*For a little smoke flavor, use wood chips (apple, alder or pecan if desired) added prior to covering.

CarlPeterson_fan
05-10-2010, 06:36 PM
I do have a few submissions to make as soon as I can get the Mrs to put them on paper for me, hopefully in the next couple days I'll have them.

I'm not sure we want any recipes from a bugeater

RedNFeisty
05-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Tequila Lime Shrimp

Serves 4

10-15 minutes total

16 jumbo shrimp cleaned
4 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
2 tablespoons tequila
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/3 cup bacon bits
1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
3/4 cup whipping cream
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 cup seafood stock or clam juice
1 teaspoon parsley
Package fettuccine noodles
1/4 cup green onion, chopped
1 lime, sliced for garnish

*Boil noodles while preparing the remainder of the meal. Drain when done.

*Lightly saute shrimp in butter and garlic, then set aside.

*In a separate pan, add tequila, lime jice, bacon bits, Cajun seasoning, cream, Parmesan cheese, stock and parsley.

*Meld ingredients to sauce consistency.

*Add Shrimp and garlic, cook a few minutes more.

*Toss sauce, noodles and green onions together.

*Garnish with lime slices cut, twisted and laid on top, a second wedge for squeezing over pasta.

RJ
05-11-2010, 12:13 PM
I'll post a couple soon. I have to write down what's in them first.

CosmicPal
05-11-2010, 12:34 PM
I'll post a couple soon. I have to write down what's in them first.

Sounds great! Looking forward to your recipes. For each recipe, please include the Category type, the Name of the Recipe, Prep time, Servings, the list of Ingredients, Directions and Additional Notes in full.

FireDogg
05-11-2010, 01:36 PM
This is great to have anytime and is delicious

6c sliced squash
1/2c chopped onions
1-2c grated carrots
1 can cream of chicken
1c sour cream
2pkg (12oz) stuffing mix
1/2c melted margarine

Cook veggies in boiling salted water for 5 minutes. Drain. Combine soup and sour cream and fold into veggies. Mix stuffing and melted margarine. Spread 1/2 of the stuffing in the bottom of the pan. Put in veggie mix. Sprinkle the other 1/2 of stuffing on top. Bake 350 30-40 min

FireDogg
05-11-2010, 01:40 PM
2 (8oz) packages of cream cheese (softened)
1/2 cup Mayo
1/2 cup sour cream
1 (4oz) can chopped green chillies (drained)
4oz can of diced jalapeno peppers (more if you like it hotter)
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Stir together and bake at 375 for 30 minutes. Dip Fritos or whatever chip you like through the dip.

Bob Dole
05-12-2010, 08:04 AM
I did include "Soups & Salads" :D

But that is a great suggestion. I'll add "Lighter Side" to the list.

Except in ChiefsPlanet Style, the section should be labeled "So you're a fatass?"

FAX
05-12-2010, 11:52 AM
Speaking of foodstuffs that, in moderation, can still cause both Type 2 Diabetes and Congestive Heart Failure, I hope you will submit your creamed corn recipe, Mr. Bob Dole. It's only the best damned creamed corn in the whole friggin' world. I wouldn't have made it through Herm's first season without it.

FAX

Bob Dole
05-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Speaking of foodstuffs that, in moderation, can still cause both Type 2 Diabetes and Congestive Heart Failure, I hope you will submit your creamed corn recipe, Mr. Bob Dole. It's only the best damned creamed corn in the whole friggin' world. I wouldn't have made it through Herm's first season without it.

FAX

Your wish is Bob Dole's command. (Though Bob Dole has no idea how to determine how many servings it provides.)

1 pound frozen corn
2 pkgs. (3 oz. each) cream cheese, cut in cubes
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon. salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Spread corn over bottom of 3 1/2-4 quart slow cooker. Top with cream cheese cubes.

Mix remaining ingredients; pour over corn and cream cheese.

Cover and cook on high heat setting for 2-3 hours until creamy. Stir well before serving.

FAX
05-12-2010, 03:07 PM
Well, for me that's about two servings ... or maybe one and a half.

Anyhow, I hope this makes the final cut on the cookbook, Mr. Bob Dole. Actually, this recipe should also be in the Smithsonian. And, if necessary, they should build a Creamed Corn Pavilion to display it. If creamed corn could land itself on the moon, it would be this creamed corn.

FAX

CosmicPal
05-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Your wish is Bob Dole's command. (Though Bob Dole has no idea how to determine how many servings it provides.)

1 pound frozen corn

You would basically take the serving size from the pound of frozen corn in this case. If the package for the frozen corn says 6 servings, then you can pretty much say the same for your creamed corn recipe- even though you're adding ingredients.

CosmicPal
05-12-2010, 03:18 PM
Well, for me that's about two servings ... or maybe one and a half.

Anyhow, I hope this makes the final cut on the cookbook, Mr. Bob Dole. Actually, this recipe should also be in the Smithsonian. And, if necessary, they should build a Creamed Corn Pavilion to display it. If creamed corn could land itself on the moon, it would be this creamed corn.

FAX

If you feel that strongly about the recipe, then it will be added to the "Sides" section of the book. I can also use your review as stated above.

boogblaster
05-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Mexican Roll-ups ..

3 lbs of pork
1 pint salsa
1/2 cup flour
2 1/2 cups water
diced hot peppers
1/2 lb cheese
8 tortios

chunk meat into 1/2 chunks .. add salsa peppers and water .. cook till fork tender .. add cheese and flour stir until mix is well incorporated ... put mixture into tortios add more cheese and peppers to taste .. roll up .. dip into any salsa you like .......

headsnap
05-12-2010, 06:37 PM
Around '03 I had started the same thing, unfortunately that 'Favorite Recipes' thread has been lost forever. Life got in the way of the 37 Forever Foundation Cookbook but I still have some of the recipes saved.

page from book:

headsnap
05-12-2010, 06:38 PM
From BigOlChiefsfan

March Madness Chili.

In a large pan saute 1 chopped yellow onion in ~ tablespoon of oil or bacon fat. After ~ 2 minutes add 2 diced red bell peppers and stir. Add 6 cloves minced garlic and 2-3 lbs beef sirloin sliced into bite sized cubes.
I use a second skillet and stir-fry the beef in batchs until the meat's seared all over, add it to the big pot.
Add chili powder (mix 1 tablespoon chipotle or NuMex crushed red chili, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, 1 tablespoon cumin seed, 1 teaspoon mexican oregano, seasoned salt, black pepper, 1 tablespoon brown sugar and 2 tablespoons flour).
Stir over high heat for a few moments to cook the spices onto the meat, then add a splash of Worchestershire sauce, a can of beer, a 4 oz can of chopped green chili, and a can of condensed beef broth.
Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for ~ an hour. Serve over (blue corn) tortilla chips and cheese, along with garlic spiced red beans, top with minced red onion, grated cheddar cheese, hot corn bread & cold beer.

Note-refridgerate overnite (& skim fat if there is any), it's better the second (and third) day.

headsnap
05-12-2010, 06:38 PM
From RedNeckRaider

RedNeckRaider Chicken

Take a whole chicken stick your hand down its neck and loosen the skin. Rub spices ( I like cajun) inside under the skin. drink several beers and save one half of a can of beer. Shove the half of a can of beer you saved up its ass. Set chicken upright on BBQ and cook for one hour and a half. Keep top closed. Kick ass red neck chicken! When it is done if you grab a leg it will fall off! tender and great! (NOTE) A girl and a twelve pack can make this a wonderful meal!

RJ
05-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Here's a simple recipe for turkey burgers. Turkey burgers?, the burger purists say! Yes, turkey burgers. In the RJ household, we have discovered that we actually prefer them to beef. Grilled or fried, they make a great burger.

1 package ground turkey, usually 1.25 lbs
1 egg white (that means no yolk)
1 tbsp worcestershire
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
2 tbsp bread crumbs (Italian preferred, use enough to get a nice burger consistency)
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients and form into 4-5 burgers. Cook over medium hot grill or in medium hot skillet about 8 minutes per side. Serve on a nice quality toasted bun with condiments of choice.

This is a simple recipe, equally good for a weeknight meal or a summer cook-out.

headsnap
05-12-2010, 06:42 PM
I don't know if this one from phobia has been posted but this is one I do all the time. I make it up and freeze it in single serving sizes to take to work for lunch.

From KPhobia

Shredded chicken (Mexican)

Shredded chicken to use on everything, sandwiches, quesadillas, salads, etc:

Place 6-8(I actually do 3-4) large, boneless chicken breasts in large pot
Throw 2 cans Rotel w/ lime & cilantro in da pot
Heat on medium for 30-45 minutes until all liquid boils off - this should be your clue - DO NOT COVER

You can add your own spice to give it an edge or some chopped jalapeno's, more cilantro, more lime - it's pretty flexible.

Allow pan to cool.
Remove breasts & shred on your favorite pig cutting board.
Place all chicken & rotel remnents in a ziplock for use during the following week.

When you're hungry, bring out the bag & use it on whatever sounds good.

Quesadilla destructions to follow:
Heat pan to medium/low
place a pad of butter/half inch circle olive oil/coat pan with cooking spray in pan & spread evenly
drop favorite flour (I prefer wheat) tortilla in pan
place layer of shredded chicken on tortilla
layer cheese to taste
drop another tortilla on top
when tortilla turns crispy golden brown (3-4 minutes) flip & repeat.
slice in quarters & use your favorite guac/salsa to complete the perfect quesadillas

CosmicPal
05-12-2010, 08:17 PM
We have the following recipes thus far:

0 Brunch & Breads
2 Appetizers
2 Drinks
0 Soups & Salads
1 Sides & Bites
1 Vegetables
0 Pasta, Rice & Grains
3 Fish & Seafood
6 Meat & Poultry
0 Desserts & Treats
0 Lighter Sides

Keep 'em coming folks. We still have a lot of recipes to add. Share your food with others!

RedNFeisty
05-12-2010, 08:33 PM
I will add more after finals are over this week!

CosmicPal, could you please post this:

0 Brunch & Breads
2 Appetizers
2 Drinks
0 Soups & Salads
1 Sides & Bites
1 Vegetables
0 Pasta, Rice & Grains
3 Fish & Seafood
6 Meat & Poultry
0 Desserts & Treats
0 Lighter Sides

to the thread header so I know what recipe gaps you have?!?!? If it isn't to much trouble!!

CosmicPal
05-12-2010, 08:36 PM
I will add more after finals are over this week!

CosmicPal, could you please post this:

0 Brunch & Breads
2 Appetizers
2 Drinks
0 Soups & Salads
1 Sides & Bites
1 Vegetables
0 Pasta, Rice & Grains
3 Fish & Seafood
6 Meat & Poultry
0 Desserts & Treats
0 Lighter Sides

to the thread header so I know what recipe gaps you have?!?!? If it isn't to much trouble!!

Absolutely...

luv
05-13-2010, 09:04 AM

0 Brunch & Breads
2 Appetizers
2 Drinks
0 Soups & Salads
1 Sides & Bites
1 Vegetables
0 Pasta, Rice & Grains
3 Fish & Seafood
6 Meat & Poultry
0 Desserts & Treats
0 Lighter Sides

Keep 'em coming folks. We still have a lot of recipes to add. Share your food with others!

I don't think I have anything going on tonight, so I will look and see what I've got. I know I will be able to do some desserts. I'll see what I've got pasta-wise and for the lighter side.

Buck's Dad
05-14-2010, 03:22 AM
Throw some M&Ms into a bowl of whipped cream and mix in some peanut butter, and BAM! Bad-assness.

KurtCobain
05-14-2010, 08:52 AM
I'll have some good ones coming later this weekend.

Fried Meat Ball!
05-14-2010, 11:12 AM

0 Brunch & Breads
2 Appetizers
2 Drinks
0 Soups & Salads
1 Sides & Bites
1 Vegetables
0 Pasta, Rice & Grains
3 Fish & Seafood
6 Meat & Poultry
0 Desserts & Treats
0 Lighter Sides

I quit. I'm terribly upset that none of my section suggestions were taken seriously. :cuss:

HonestChieffan
05-14-2010, 12:05 PM
This is great stuff. You can substitute pork for the chicken if you want. It works just as well.
Start with the marinade:

¾ cup cider vinegar
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
¾ cup top quality extra virgin Olive Oil
4 Tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 ½ Tablespoon Oregano
1 Teaspoon Thyme
1 Tablespoon fresh Basil leaves, chopped
4 cloves minced fresh garlic
2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
Salt to taste
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Bread crumbs
This will do 12 skewers or meat from 6 whole boned breasts.

Marinate meat overnight in preparation. Cut into chunks and skewer on bamboo skewers that have soaked in water overnight. Roll skewered meat in breadcrumbs. Salt and pepper to taste and cook slowly over white coals. I prefer to sear them over the coals, then move the meat away from direct heat so they cook very slowly. This dish is great served with hot pasta or a cold pasta salad, good wine, and fresh French bread

HonestChieffan
05-14-2010, 12:06 PM
POACHED CHICKEN SALAD WITH APPLES AND PECANS

Recommended Wines: This delicious, healthy salad features moist chicken breasts and matches perfectly with the apple-citrus flavors of Chardonnay

2 cups Chardonnay
3 cups canned chicken broth
3 whole cloves or 2 half dollar size slices of ginger
1 large bay leaf
½ cup coarsely chopped green onions
1 ¾ pounds (3 large) skinless chicken breast halves (bone-in)
2 cups peeled, cored and diced tart sweet apple
2 cups red seedless grapes, cut in half
1 ½ cups diced fresh fennel or celery
1 cup lightly toasted pecans or cashews
In a deep saucepan, add white wine, broth, cloves, bay leaf and green onions. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Place chicken breasts into the simmering broth so that they are covered completely. (If not, add some additional wine and/or broth.) Cover pan and simmer breasts slowly for 6 minutes (check to be sure liquid is not boiling hard). Turn off heat and allow breasts to sit covered for 15 minutes. They should just be cooked through at this point. Remove and proceed with salad or other uses. Carefully strain poaching liquid through a fine strainer and store refrigerated for up to 5 days. This provides a delicious stock for soups, stews and sauces.
Remove bones from the poached chicken breasts and discard. Cut breast meat into ½ inch cubes and place in a bowl along with apples, grapes, fennel and nuts.

Dressing
½ cup light sour cream
2/3 cup fat-reduced mayonnaise
¼ cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons grated orange zest
2 teaspoons honey (or to taste)
2 teaspoons fresh lemon or lime juice
2-3 teaspoons curry powder, lightly toasted
Salt and freshly ground pepper In a separate bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Stir into chicken mixture and season to taste with salt and pepper. Store refrigerated. This is best eaten the same or next day after it’s made.

HonestChieffan
05-14-2010, 12:08 PM
White Chili

This was a major hit at the Chiefs Packer game in 96. The chili was great, weather cold and the Chiefs dominated the team that was to be the Super Bowl winner.

1 pound of white beans soaked overnight, or three cans of canned white beans, drained
4 cups chicken broth. Use canned if you have to but best made with good stock
2 cloves of minced garlic.
1 large yellow onion diced
1 can chopped chilies
Teaspoon ground cumin
Teaspoon oregano
Dash of ground cloves
Dash cayenne pepper
4 cups of diced cooked chicken
3 cups Monterey Jack Cheese
Sliced jalepeno Chilies

Combine beans, chicken broth, garlic, and onions in large pot and bring to a boil. Simmer 3 hours. Add remaining ingredients except cheese and simmer for additional hour. Serve hot with cheese garnish and sliced jalapeno chilies

Best served with jalepeno corn bread

Fried Meat Ball!
05-14-2010, 01:25 PM
POACHED CHICKEN SALAD WITH APPLES AND PECANS

Recommended Wines: This delicious, healthy salad features moist chicken breasts and matches perfectly with the apple-citrus flavors of Chardonnay

2 cups Chardonnay
3 cups canned chicken broth
3 whole cloves or 2 half dollar size slices of ginger
1 large bay leaf
½ cup coarsely chopped green onions
1 ¾ pounds (3 large) skinless chicken breast halves (bone-in)
2 cups peeled, cored and diced tart sweet apple
2 cups red seedless grapes, cut in half
1 ½ cups diced fresh fennel or celery
1 cup lightly toasted pecans or cashews
In a deep saucepan, add white wine, broth, cloves, bay leaf and green onions. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Place chicken breasts into the simmering broth so that they are covered completely. (If not, add some additional wine and/or broth.) Cover pan and simmer breasts slowly for 6 minutes (check to be sure liquid is not boiling hard). Turn off heat and allow breasts to sit covered for 15 minutes. They should just be cooked through at this point. Remove and proceed with salad or other uses. Carefully strain poaching liquid through a fine strainer and store refrigerated for up to 5 days. This provides a delicious stock for soups, stews and sauces.
Remove bones from the poached chicken breasts and discard. Cut breast meat into ½ inch cubes and place in a bowl along with apples, grapes, fennel and nuts.

Dressing
½ cup light sour cream
2/3 cup fat-reduced mayonnaise
¼ cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons grated orange zest
2 teaspoons honey (or to taste)
2 teaspoons fresh lemon or lime juice
2-3 teaspoons curry powder, lightly toasted
Salt and freshly ground pepper In a separate bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Stir into chicken mixture and season to taste with salt and pepper. Store refrigerated. This is best eaten the same or next day after it’s made.

You're missing one ingredient:

3 lbs Casey Printers.

CosmicPal
05-14-2010, 01:53 PM
I quit. I'm terribly upset that none of my section suggestions were taken seriously. :cuss:

What sections are you referring to? The sauces? I think it's a great idea to add a "Sauces" category. Apricot Preserves though? We're having trouble gathering up enough recipes as it is to add more. But, I do like adding "Sauces and Rubs" category.

Fried Meat Ball!
05-14-2010, 02:46 PM
What sections are you referring to? The sauces? I think it's a great idea to add a "Sauces" category. Apricot Preserves though? We're having trouble gathering up enough recipes as it is to add more. But, I do like adding "Sauces and Rubs" category.

:harumph:

Apricot Preserves (all things Apricot preserves)
Barley & Me (I mean... BARLEY. Come on.)
Liquid Smoke & Fire (Hello? Liquid smoke?)
Cast Iron Man (Everything. EVERYTHING. Is better in cast iron.)

swayy07
05-14-2010, 02:58 PM
its up to whosever running this but ive done cook books before and if you want to select a couple recipes from each section i can make them myself and take pictures for the book and then send you the pictures... just sayin.

CosmicPal
05-14-2010, 03:04 PM
its up to whosever running this but ive done cook books before and if you want to select a couple recipes from each section i can make them myself and take pictures for the book and then send you the pictures... just sayin.

That would be sweet! :thumb:

swayy07
05-14-2010, 03:08 PM
That would be sweet! :thumb:

ok well whenever you get how many ever receipes you want pick a few out and send them to me and ill start from there.

BIG K
05-14-2010, 09:24 PM
Okay, here is mine for a rainy, cold day.

You like grilled cheese? Here is a spin. Prepare your grilled cheese sandwich as normal however, add thinly sliced apple peices and bacon to the mix. Couple that with some nice warm soup, and you have a crunchy, cheesey delectible treat!

Fried Meat Ball!
05-15-2010, 06:48 PM

1 pound frozen corn
2 pkgs. (3 oz. each) cream cheese, cut in cubes
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon. salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Spread corn over bottom of 3 1/2-4 quart slow cooker. Top with cream cheese cubes.

Mix remaining ingredients; pour over corn and cream cheese.

Cover and cook on high heat setting for 2-3 hours until creamy. Stir well before serving.

I made this tonight exactly as is. The wife loved it, I thought it was pretty good. I appreciate the recipe, and really hope I'm not overstepping my bounds here. I have the utmost respect for the Distinguished Senator from Kansas.

There's some things I'd do differently: I think it could use some parsley for a little texture and color, and I don't think 1/2 tsp. of salt or 1/8 tsp. pepper is enough - I'd probably double both. I'll make it again, but I think I'll add a couple tablespoons of chopped curly parsley, and use the original amount of salt but add about 4 oz. of bacon (crispy and chopped). If I'm adding the bacon, I'll probably cut some of the butter out.

I'm also trying to think of some herbs that would give it a little more depth. Maybe some thyme, and a touch of turmeric to give it a deeper color. If I add the thyme, I'll probably drop half the parsley.

Definitely got me thinking.

Fried Meat Ball!
05-15-2010, 06:50 PM

You like grilled cheese? Here is a spin. Prepare your grilled cheese sandwich as normal however, add thinly sliced apple peices and bacon to the mix. Couple that with some nice warm soup, and you have a crunchy, cheesey delectible treat!

Or..... instead of cheese, make that sumbitch with peanut butter (minus the apples and bacon, of course).

I educated a few people here a year or so ago about "grilled peanut butter sandwiches".... trust me and try it.

mlyonsd
05-16-2010, 12:00 PM

That sounds interesting.

I use my variation of a grilled cheese in late summer when I'm starting to get tired of BLT's.

Grill the sandwich open faced and when its done add bacon and a thin slice or two of home grown tomato. I usually have tomato soup with it.

RJ
05-17-2010, 07:37 PM
So I'm going to post two recipes together, cause these were made for each other.

Grilled chipotle pork tenderloin

2 ea canned chipotles in adobo, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp thyme
salt and pepper to taste
1 pork tenderloin - they're usually about 1 1/4 lb

Mix chilis, oil and seasonings to form a paste, rub on and into tenderloin, cover and refrigerate for 2-24 hours. Grill over direct heat, turning several times, to an internal temp of about 155, about 20 minutes. Pork should develop a bit of a crust. Nothing wrong with a few charred spots.

Black bean, corn and mango salad

cut corn from about 3 ears fresh corn
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 mango, diced
1/4 medium red onion, chopped
1 canned chipotle, chopped
Handful cilantro, to taste
Mixed greens

Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat. Add corn and garlic, saute about 6-8 minutes, until corn takes on a roasted color. Combine with all other ingredients in bowl, serve immediately over greens or refrigerate until chilled. I like mine chilled.

Incidentally, if you've never diced a mango, here's some great instructions.

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_cut_a_mango/

CosmicPal
05-18-2010, 10:31 AM
Thanks, RJ!

Keep 'em coming people. I'd like to get at least a half dozen recipes for each category.

This is your chance to get your favorite personal/family recipe published.

HonestChieffan
05-18-2010, 11:00 AM
RJ that sounds awesome.Thanks for posting it.

Damn Atkins diet making me loony for any new variation on meat.

RJ
05-18-2010, 03:44 PM
RJ that sounds awesome.Thanks for posting it.

Damn Atkins diet making me loony for any new variation on meat.

Yeah, I've gone through some similar dietary changes - lower fat, less processed foods, more fruits and vegetables, leaner meats. Thus my tenderloin and turkey burger recipes. I'm liking it, though I still need my occasional rib fix. The turkey burgers are damn good, I must say. Even my 6 y/o says she likes them better than beef.

As to the tenderloin rub, I've also been using it on chicken.....I just set a piece or two off to the side for the kid. It's good stuff. Now that I've opened the can of chipotle I'll have to use it on everything before it goes bad.

Chipotle pancakes? :hmmm:

sedated
05-18-2010, 03:47 PM
I educated a few people here a year or so ago about "grilled peanut butter sandwiches".... trust me and try it.

and add some cut-up bananas.

or put it on french toast.

and instead of regular bread, use a different bread, like cinnamon raisin.

Fried Meat Ball!
05-18-2010, 04:54 PM
and add some cut-up bananas.

or put it on french toast.

and instead of regular bread, use a different bread, like cinnamon raisin.

It'll taste better if you cook it in cast iron. :D

cdcox
05-20-2010, 08:35 PM
So I'm going to post two recipes together, cause these were made for each other.

Grilled chipotle pork tenderloin

2 ea canned chipotles in adobo, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp thyme
salt and pepper to taste
1 pork tenderloin - they're usually about 1 1/4 lb

Mix chilis, oil and seasonings to form a paste, rub on and into tenderloin, cover and refrigerate for 2-24 hours. Grill over direct heat, turning several times, to an internal temp of about 155, about 20 minutes. Pork should develop a bit of a crust. Nothing wrong with a few charred spots.

Black bean, corn and mango salad

cut corn from about 3 ears fresh corn
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 mango, diced
1/4 medium red onion, chopped
1 canned chipotle, chopped
Handful cilantro, to taste
Mixed greens

Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat. Add corn and garlic, saute about 6-8 minutes, until corn takes on a roasted color. Combine with all other ingredients in bowl, serve immediately over greens or refrigerate until chilled. I like mine chilled.

Incidentally, if you've never diced a mango, here's some great instructions.

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_cut_a_mango/

We're having this for dinner tomorrow night. I have the meat all pasted up, but I decided to wait to mix the ingredients for the salad topping until a couple hours before we eat so as to preserve the individual flavors. I'll report back tomorrow.

RJ
05-21-2010, 08:38 AM
We're having this for dinner tomorrow night. I have the meat all pasted up, but I decided to wait to mix the ingredients for the salad topping until a couple hours before we eat so as to preserve the individual flavors. I'll report back tomorrow.

I made the salad again last night but left out the chipotle and used more lime and cilantro than I had before. My wife preferred that over the chipotle version. I liked both but can see that the chipotle in both the meat and the salad might be overkill for some. My palate likes heat and sometimes I forget to adjust for others.

kaplin42
05-21-2010, 04:55 PM
Steamy Duck Fart

6oz - 8oz Coffee Mug / glass

3/4oz Baileys Irish Cream
3/4oz Kahlua

Fill to almost full with coffee.

Pour Crown Royal around the rim of the glass.

No Whip Cream.

Sex With the Bartender

16oz glass with ice.

1oz vodka
1oz Peach Pucker
1/2oz Southern Comfort
1/2oz Tuaca
1/2oz Amaretto

Fill remainder of glass with 1/2 Oj and 1/2 Pineapple Juice. Float of grenadine at the top.

cdcox
05-21-2010, 05:13 PM
I made the salad again last night but left out the chipotle and used more lime and cilantro than I had before. My wife preferred that over the chipotle version. I liked both but can see that the chipotle in both the meat and the salad might be overkill for some. My palate likes heat and sometimes I forget to adjust for others.

The meat was absolutely perfect. A real winner. Be sure to pull the pork off at 155F as it is perfectly done and juicy at this temperature.

I made both versions of the salad topping (lime and chipotle). I didn't notice a huge difference between them. The wife and I both agreed that we would add another mango next time. In the future, we'll probably just serve the salad topping as a side dish without the mixed greens. The topping didn't really stick to or coat the greens very well, so it was hard to get both sufficient topping and greens in the same bite. That's okay because it worked very well with the pork by itself.

Definitely a combo that we will add to the summer grill repertoire. Low fat and healthy to boot.

CosmicPal
05-22-2010, 09:27 PM
The meat was absolutely perfect. A real winner. Be sure to pull the pork off at 155F as it is perfectly done and juicy at this temperature.

I made both versions of the salad topping (lime and chipotle). I didn't notice a huge difference between them. The wife and I both agreed that we would add another mango next time. In the future, we'll probably just serve the salad topping as a side dish without the mixed greens. The topping didn't really stick to or coat the greens very well, so it was hard to get both sufficient topping and greens in the same bite. That's okay because it worked very well with the pork by itself.

Definitely a combo that we will add to the summer grill repertoire. Low fat and healthy to boot.

CD- would you like to add a review on this for the cookbook? A simple sentence or two reviewing the dish?

luv
05-23-2010, 08:19 AM
S'more Brownies

Submitted by luv, Springfield, MO

Dessert

Prep time varies depending on package cook times and cooling times

24 servings

Ingredients

3 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 45 crackers, crushed)
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter
1 package of brownie mix plus ingredients included on package
3 cups miniature marshmallows
1 cup milk chocolate chips, melted

Directions

Preheat oven to 350. Line a 13" x 9" baking pan with foil so foil extends over two sides. Grease foil and sides of pan.

Combine 2 3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs and butter. Mix well. Press evenly into prepared pan. Bake for 5 minutes. Set aside.

Prepare brownie mixture according to package directions for cake-like brownies. Pour brownie batter over graham cracker crust. Spread evenly.

Bake brownies according to package directions. Transfer the pan to a wire rack. Cool completely.

In a microwave-safe bowl, heat marshmallows on HIGH, stirring once, until slightly melted, 20-30 seconds. Spread the marshmallows over the brownies.

Sprinkle remaining graham cracker crumbs over the marshmallows.

Spoon melted chocolate into a resealable plastic bag. Snip off one corner of the bag, and drizzle the chocolate over the brownies.

Then the toppings are cool, use the foil overhangs as handles and lift the brownies out of the pan. Place brownies on a cutting board. Cut into 24 servings.

Bugeater
05-23-2010, 08:39 AM
I'm still waiting on a couple more, and she didn't supply me with prep times or servings, but FWIW these are a few of our favorites.

Macaroni and Cheese

1 lb macaroni
2 cups milk
1 box butternut squash soup (Campbell's)
2 cups shredded velveeta cheese
2 cups mild cheddar cheese
1 tsp ground mustard
1 tsp cayenne pepper

topping:
1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
olive oil to moisten

Heat oven to 375. Prepare macaroni according to package directions and
drain. Meanwhile,
heat milk and soup to just below boiling. Add mustard and cayenne pepper.
Remove from
heat and add cheeses. Add cheese mixture to macaroni. Spray baking dish
with cooking spray
and add mixture. Bake 20 minutes. Add topping and broil another 2-4
minutes to brown topping.

Pineapple Salsa

One large can petite diced tomatoes (drained)
One small can crushed pineapple (drained)
One small red onion diced
Two jalapenos diced, seeds and membrane removed
couple of shakes of dried parsley
dash of salt
squirt of lime juice

Mix together and let sit for at least a couple of hours before serving.

Stuffed mushrooms

24 - 30 good sized mushrooms
1lb. pork sausage (Jimmy Dean makes a good one)
1/2 bag of baby spinach
1/2 onion chopped
A good handful of white shredded cheese (like Monterey jack)
1 egg
breadcrumbs to bind

Cook sausage with onion then add spinach until wilted. Meanwhile, clean
mushrooms with damp towel and remove the stems. Let mixture cool
then add the beaten egg, breadcrumbs and cheese until stuffing holds
together. Stuff mushrooms then bake 350 for about 20 minutes.

Mustard pretzel dip

8 oz sour cream
8 oz mayonnaise
3/4 cup mustard
1/4 cup dry minced onion
1 pkg hidden valley ranch dressing mix
1/2 c sugar
3 tsp horseradish

luv
05-23-2010, 08:52 AM
Cream-Cake Trifle

Dessert

30 minutes plus chill time

Serves 10

Ingredients

1 8-oz package cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons sugar
1 3.4-oz package of vanilla instant pudding
1 20-oz can crushed pineapple with juice
1 1/4 cups milk
1 8-oz container frozen nondairy whipped topping, thawed
1 15-oz package cream filled sponge cakes (Twinkies)
5 ripe bananas, cut into 1/4" slices
1 pint strawberries, washed, hulled and thinly sliced

Directions

For filling:

In a large bowl, using an electric mixer set on medium speed, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add pudding mix pineapple with juice and milk. Beat on low until blended. Stir in 1 1/2 cups whipped topping until blended.

Assembling trifle:

Cut each sponge cake crosswise into 8 slices. In a large trifle bowl, place a ring of cake slices , cut sides out, against the sides of the bowl. Place additional slices, cut side down, to cover the bottom of the bowl.

Place a ring of banana slices above the cake slices against the edge of the bowl, cut sides out. Place strawberry slices, point side down, between banana slices.

Carefully spoon half of the filling into the bowl, smoothing the surface. Place a second ring of cake slices around the sides of the trifle bowl.

Cover the filling with another layer of cake slices. Place a second ring of banana slices and strawberry slices around the bowl. Spoon the remaining filling into the bowl, smoothing the surface.

Cover trifle with plastic wrap and chill until read to serve.

Just before serving, spoon remaining whipped topping on top of trifle. Garnish with remaining fruit slices.

luv
05-23-2010, 08:55 AM
I tried to find a picture of the cream-cake trifle (I call it a Twinky Trifle...lol) online, but no luck. I think dad has a trifle bowl, so I'll have to make this one next weekend and provide pictures of what it looks like.

Okay...closest thing I could find. Looks like the did the strawberries point up with the bananas between. So much easier to do what I put in the recipe. Also, they used layers of regular pound cake. The twinkies are easier and look better.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1065/968738161_c460c6300b.jpg

RJ
05-23-2010, 10:58 AM
CD- would you like to add a review on this for the cookbook? A simple sentence or two reviewing the dish?

I plan on getting to a couple of reviews soon.

Also, I think there are a lot of recipes floating around here that could be used. I've tried some myself.

Speaking of which.....I'll borow my own Bloody Mary recipe from the manly drink thread.

Tall glass filled with ice
Fresh squeezed lemon and lime, about a half of each - squeeze the juice over the ice cubes, not into the drink. Yes, it matters.
Celery salt, to taste
Worcestershire, a dash
Tabasco (preferred brand for BM)
Vodka - 1/3
Tomato or V-8 Juice - 1/3
Clamato - 1/3

The 1/3 vodka might be a little strong. Depends on the user.

Mix well and garnish with lime wedge. I like the glass rimmed with Old Bay seasoning.

Drink 3, skip dinner.

HonestChieffan
05-24-2010, 05:34 PM
Green Enchiladas
Cheese Filling:
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (about 8 ounces)
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces)
1 med. chopped onion
1/2 cup sour cream
1 TBSP snipped parsley
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl...you may add chopped cooked chicken if desired.

Green Sauce

2 TSBP butter
2 TBSP flour
dash salt
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
10 ounces fresh spinach, rinsed and steamed with just the water clinging to leaves, drained and coarsely chopped
1-2 TBSP chopped green chiles (use more or less depending on how spicy you like your food!)
1 small chopped onion
1 fresh clove garlic, finely chopped
3/4 tsp ground cumin
2/3 cup sour cream
Make a white sauce of the butter, flour, salt, milk and chicken broth. Stir constantly until thick; remove from heat and add remaining ingredients including spinach.
Dip flour tortillas in the sauce to soften them, fill them with cheese/meat filling, and roll them up. Place them seam sides down in a large baking dish, cover with remaining sauce and more shredded cheese. Bake at 350 about 20 minutes till bubbly.

big nasty kcnut
05-25-2010, 03:55 AM
Ok here a quick breakfast taquitos recipe
get these ingredients
Eggs
bacon
shredded chesse
tortilla

First put in 4 to 6 eggs in a bowl and mixed.
Then put eggs in pre heated pan
then cook up some bacon and chop them up.
then put bacon with the eggs and mix it up.
Heat up some tortilla if your on a diet try some pita bread or wheat tortilla
then add shredded cheese and enjoy

CosmicPal
05-28-2010, 08:17 AM
Green Enchiladas
Cheese Filling:
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (about 8 ounces)
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces)
1 med. chopped onion
1/2 cup sour cream
1 TBSP snipped parsley
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl...you may add chopped cooked chicken if desired.

Green Sauce

2 TSBP butter
2 TBSP flour
dash salt
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
10 ounces fresh spinach, rinsed and steamed with just the water clinging to leaves, drained and coarsely chopped
1-2 TBSP chopped green chiles (use more or less depending on how spicy you like your food!)
1 small chopped onion
1 fresh clove garlic, finely chopped
3/4 tsp ground cumin
2/3 cup sour cream
Make a white sauce of the butter, flour, salt, milk and chicken broth. Stir constantly until thick; remove from heat and add remaining ingredients including spinach.
Dip flour tortillas in the sauce to soften them, fill them with cheese/meat filling, and roll them up. Place them seam sides down in a large baking dish, cover with remaining sauce and more shredded cheese. Bake at 350 about 20 minutes till bubbly.

That does sound yummy!

We're slowly but surely getting there. Keep those recipes a-comin'!!

dirk digler
05-28-2010, 11:29 AM
Wow there is some good recipes I am going to have to try.

If you need more recipes here is a great thread that I subscribed too that I look back on sometimes.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=141504

RedNFeisty
05-31-2010, 05:03 PM
I'm hanging out at my mom's having a grand bbq, printed this recipe and a few others off for her, she is a cooking freak. Anyway, I will be happy to provide a review after devouring!!! :thumb:

I'm trying to con a few recipes out of her as well!!

Cream-Cake Trifle

Dessert

30 minutes plus chill time

Serves 10

Ingredients

1 8-oz package cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons sugar
1 3.4-oz package of vanilla instant pudding
1 20-oz can crushed pineapple with juice
1 1/4 cups milk
1 8-oz container frozen nondairy whipped topping, thawed
1 15-oz package cream filled sponge cakes (Twinkies)
5 ripe bananas, cut into 1/4" slices
1 pint strawberries, washed, hulled and thinly sliced

Directions

For filling:

In a large bowl, using an electric mixer set on medium speed, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add pudding mix pineapple with juice and milk. Beat on low until blended. Stir in 1 1/2 cups whipped topping until blended.

Assembling trifle:

Cut each sponge cake crosswise into 8 slices. In a large trifle bowl, place a ring of cake slices , cut sides out, against the sides of the bowl. Place additional slices, cut side down, to cover the bottom of the bowl.

Place a ring of banana slices above the cake slices against the edge of the bowl, cut sides out. Place strawberry slices, point side down, between banana slices.

Carefully spoon half of the filling into the bowl, smoothing the surface. Place a second ring of cake slices around the sides of the trifle bowl.

Cover the filling with another layer of cake slices. Place a second ring of banana slices and strawberry slices around the bowl. Spoon the remaining filling into the bowl, smoothing the surface.

Cover trifle with plastic wrap and chill until read to serve.

Just before serving, spoon remaining whipped topping on top of trifle. Garnish with remaining fruit slices.

DaKCMan AP
06-01-2010, 06:59 AM
Not my recipe, but easy to make, Awesomely delicious and addictive.

Peruvian Quinoa-Vegetable Soup

DaKCMan AP
06-01-2010, 07:21 AM
DaKCMan AP's Awesome Vegetable Fajitas

2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 yellow onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 green bell pepper, seeded & sliced
2 jalepeno, scotch bonnet or habanero peppers, seeded & chopped (optional)
2 yellow squash, halved & sliced
1.5c brocolli florets
1c salsa
1 tsp ground cumin
2tbps ground black pepper
1 tomato, chopped
8-10oz shredded cheese (monterey jack, cheddar, mix, whatever)
8 (8 or 10in) multigrain tortillas

In a skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Add onions and garlic and saute for 5mins. Add peppers, squash and brocolli. Cover and cook for 5mins. Add salsa, cumin, pepper and tomato. Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook for another 5-10mins.

Heat tortillas one of two ways:
1. Wrap in aluminum foil, bake in oven at 350F for 15mins.
2. Place tortillas on a plate between two damp paper towels. microwave for 1min.

Guacamole
2 ripe hass avocados
1/2c red onion, chopped
1 lemon, halved
1tbsp pepper
1tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 small tomato, chopped

Halve avocados, take out the pit and then spoon the fruit into a bowl. Add the onion, pepper, garlic, tomato. Juice the lemon over the bowl and mix together until a smooth, thick consistency. Top with cilantro.

Add any additional vegetables you want. Also good to have a side of refried, black or pinto beans to add to the fajita.

No sour cream and go easy on the cheese, cause that makes you fat... fatty :p

MOhillbilly
06-01-2010, 10:48 AM
im not as smart as my cousins and uncles so while they argued about croquet rules and shit i didnt care to wrap my brain around id sneak beers w/ grandpa and learn the secrets of BBQ chicken.
We done it like this for so long i cant remember.
BBQ chicken

rub - lightly salt and pepper

1st sauce - 2 cups cider vinager, 1 cup oil, 1 tlb spoon pepper & salt.

in med. sauce pan bring mixture to a percolate. use this in a liberal mopping fashion, enough that if you have to make a 2nd batch all the better. let her smoke till she fires, then put your hood down. repeat.

...drink a beer inbetween to get the smoke outta your eyes.

2nd sauce- warm your BBQ to a percolate and apply in a liberal mopping fashion. I like to turn and mop 3 times in about a 15 minute span.(thats the last 15 min before you take it up)
This will allow the sauce to stick.

-general rule about fire-
Slow and low is your friend, and if people get hungry dont be scared to stand on it.

let me know how she scalds.

RJ
06-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Hey MO, I make one like that for mopping chicken. Just did some last night, in fact.

Two parts oil (vegetable oil is fine)
One part vinegar
One part worcestershire
Salt, pepper, sugar......you can add other stuff you like.

I just shake mine up real good in a jar and then mop the chicken periodically. And yes, the occasional flare-up is nothing to worry about. Put your lid back on tight and relax. A whole cut up chicken usually takes me about an hour. I like to offset the coals and let the chicken finish on the cooler side.

RJ
06-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Also, a :thumb: for The Awesome One's guacamole recipe. Folks often try to do too much with guacamole when, IMO, simple is best. If you get past about 6-7 ingredients you have probably gone too far.

Lumpy
06-01-2010, 03:24 PM
CosmicPal, I don't think I will be able to help in the pre-production of the book. I just have way too much going on and I won't be on CP enough to keep up w/ the recipes. I'm sure there is someone on here w/ graphic design knowledge that could take my place.

Sry to disappoint. :(

CosmicPal
06-02-2010, 05:37 PM
CosmicPal, I don't think I will be able to help in the pre-production of the book. I just have way too much going on and I won't be on CP enough to keep up w/ the recipes. I'm sure there is someone on here w/ graphic design knowledge that could take my place.

Sry to disappoint. :(

Okay...thanks for the heads up. I completely understand.

Well, there you have it- if anyone with graphic design skills would like to help with the production of the book, please send me a PM.

Thx,
Ken

We need some recipes for the grill! Let's make a book!!!

DaKCMan AP
06-03-2010, 06:27 AM

Easy, healthy, delicious.

1 green bell pepper, seeded and halved
1 red bell pepper, seeded and halved
1 yellow/orange bell pepper, seeded and halved
2 zucchinis, halved
2 yellow squash, halved
1 red onion, quartered
1/4 lb fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
1 ripe hass avocado, halved and pitted
2 yams or sweet potatoes
1 small eggplant, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1c extra virgin olive oil
2 springs fresh rosemary
2 tsp ground black pepper

Heat up grill to Med-High.

Wash the sweet potatoes well, poke to allow for venting, and wrap tightly in aluminum foil. Place sweet potatoes on the grill and do not move.

Mix garlic, olive oil, rosemary and pepper in a dish. After sweet potatoes have cooked for 25mins, flip them.

Take the pitted avocado halves and cut lengthwise slices vertically without piercing through the skin. Then cut slices horizontally, again without piercing through the skin. Then turn them inside-out so the, now cubed, slices fall out. Set aside.

After another 10mins place the peppers, zucchini, squash, onion, eggplant, asparagus on the grill. Use a brush to paint the vegetables with the olive oil mixture.

Allow to grill for 5mins, then flip all the vegetables and paint the other side. After another 5mins, remove all vegetables including the sweet potatoes, which should now be cooked through.

Take some of each vegetable, slice and mix on a plate with the fresh avocado cubes. Either place a sweet potato to the side and eat like a baked potato or slice it and mix with the others (eat the skin too, damn't!).

For an extra kick you can buy some scotch bonnet or habaneros, seed and mince them, and throw them into your olive oil mixture.

luv
06-04-2010, 05:11 PM
I'm hanging out at my mom's having a grand bbq, printed this recipe and a few others off for her, she is a cooking freak. Anyway, I will be happy to provide a review after devouring!!! :thumb:

I'm trying to con a few recipes out of her as well!!

There was a lady who was making her "famous" chicken enchiladas to bring to class Wednesday night. Another lady said she'd bring salad, so I said I'd bring dessert. Of course, I thought "When am I going to have time to make a dessert?" Thought of this recipe, ran by the grocery store on my way home, put it together during my lunch hour Wednesday, and took it to class that night. I was short on time, so I didn't slice strawberries and bananas. Instead, I put pineapple chunks where the other fruit would have gone (there's crushed pineapple in the filling anyway. It was a huge hit!

Gonzo
06-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Hey man, I totally forgot about this thread, (even though it's stickied) I'm a dumbass. Sorry!

Here's my 1st wild game entry:

Port Venison Medallions

Ingredients:

1 complete venison backstrap, (tenderloin)
1/2 cup port wine
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon fresh basil
1 teaspoon coarse salt
2 cloves garlic, (crushed)
1/2 onion, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
(Ingredients are approximate)

Melt butter on medium heat in a 18 inch skillet or saucepan, when nearly melted add garlic and onion.
Once butter reduces by aprox 25 percent, add port wine and basil. Cut backstrap in several 2 inch thick pieces and season both sides of each medallion with salt and pepper.
Place medallions in skillet and cover. Increase heat to medium high and cook 5 minutes. Flip each medallion and cook an additional 5 minutes. Reduce heat to lowest setting and either cook egg noodles or rice, (your preference).
Once noodles/rice is fully cooked plate it and place medallions and liberally add leftover sauce.

Serves 3, (depending on size of deer).

(Beef can be substituted for venison)

There you go man, I'll add some more later.
Posted via Mobile Device

boogblaster
06-08-2010, 06:17 PM
Decent pork or chicken rub ...
4 TBL Old Bay seasoning
4TBL paprika
4 tea onion powder
2 tea garlic powder
2 tea bl pepper
2 tea oregano
1 tea dried thyme
4 tea chili powder
2 tea cayenne pepper
2 tea salt

either rub on your meat or mix with beer for a over-nite marinade
then grill to your taste

DMAC
06-10-2010, 08:51 AM
I threw together some pretty kick ass marinade a couple days ago...

Didnt measure it out though:

Stir Fry Sauce
Olive Oil
Habenero Sauce (just a bit)
Worcherchercher
Garlic
Basil
S&P
Killians Red

Put that shit on some chicken last night...and a ribeye the night before...holy hell it was delicious

Fairplay
06-12-2010, 03:30 AM
In

dougiedav
06-12-2010, 09:47 PM
what a great idea... thanks for making this forum!

Detoxing
06-14-2010, 04:21 PM
This thread is making me so hungry.......

88TG88
06-14-2010, 08:05 PM
Okay...thanks for the heads up. I completely understand.

Well, there you have it- if anyone with graphic design skills would like to help with the production of the book, please send me a PM.

Thx,
Ken

I have some skills. I'd consider a collab if anyone else wants to.

Gracie Dean
06-17-2010, 07:01 PM
Desserts:

Easy Apple Dumplings

1 can original Crecsent Rolls
3 or 4 Granny Smith Apples
2 sticks of margarine
1 and 1/2 cup sugar
1 small Can Mountain Dew
1 tsp Vanilla
Cinnamon

Peel and quarter apples

Melt butter in med sauce pan
Add sugar and lightly mix
add vanilla

Roll Apple quarters each in a section of crescent roll

place in buttered baking pan

pour mixture over all 8 pieces

take the small Mt. Dew can and drizzle over all of the 8 pieces and up the middle and the corners.

sprinkle with Cinnamon

Bake at 350 Degrees for 30-40 minutes

Serve with Vanilla Icecream

DaKCMan AP
06-22-2010, 05:03 PM
Came up with this tonight and it was, naturally, Awesome.

DaKCMan AP's Awesome Black Bean Okra Soup
4 tbsp olive oil
1 large garlic clove, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded & chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1.5c okra, chopped
1 yellow squash, chopped
1 fresh corn on the cob, cooked
1 can black beans, not drained
0.5c tomato, chopped
2 tbsp black pepper

In a 2" tall pan or small pot, add olive oil and set to medium heat. Add garlic & jalapeno and cook for 3-5 minutes. Add green pepper, okra, and squash. Cut the corn off the cob and add to pan. Add black pepper and let cook for 4mins. Pour in the can of black beans and let simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour into a bowl and garnish with tomato.

petegz28
06-26-2010, 10:59 PM
Pete's smoked ribs on the grill

1 slab of baby back pork ribs
2-3 bottles of Smithwick's Irish Ale (or whatever beer you choose. Please use one with some flavor, no Coors Light, etc.)
Jack Stack Meat & Poultry rub or whatever rub you choose
1 bag of Kingsford Hickory Charcoal
Apple woodchips or whatever wood you wish to use
Gates orginal and extra hot sauce
Honey
Brown sugar
Aluminum foil
bowl of water (one that is heat resistant)

Marinate ribs overnight in beer and soak the wood chips in water over night.

Next day....
Put the rub on the meat to your liking. I am pretty liberal with mine.
Fire up the coals, when they start to smoke and burn push them into 2 piles on either side of the grill (charcoal trays make this a cinch).
DO NOT PUT THE TOP GRILL ON!!!
Place a bowl of water in the middle of the grill
When the coals are starting to turn grey and are putting off a lot of smoke throw some soaked but drained woodchips on the coals

Note: Grills that have flip up sides are great for this cause it is easy to add coals and wood

Put the grill on and put the meat on between the 2 piles of coals so that none of the slab is covering the coals and make sure the slab is over the bowl of water, cover the grill and close the top air vent 3/4 leaving the bottom vent(s) wide open. Try not to let the temp get over 300. If it does close the vents more or lift the lid on occasion to let some heat escape. 200-250 is what I shoot for.

Add woodchips every so often over the next 2 hours. After about 3 hours take the ribs off and wrap them in foil and put them back on the grill.

Make up your sauce. This is all preference of course, I use Gates sauce for my base. Mix Gates Original and Extra hot in equal amounts. Add honey and brown sugar to taste. If you do it like me it will taste sweet at first then hit you with hot stuff.

After 1.5 hours of the meat in the foil open the foil and sauce up the meat being very liberal with the sauce. Leave the foil open so the sauce can bake better into the meat and cover the grill back up and open the vents wide open keeping an eye on the temp.

After 45 min - 1 hour of grilling with the sauce on go ahead and pull the meat off the grill and serve.

Extras: If you're like me you like to add things on the grill besides meat. So here is what I do. About 30 min before the meat is finished I either cut up some pineapple rings and throw them on the grill over the coals or cut some peaches in half, sprinkle the tops with some sugar and grill them face down until the meat is done.

patteeu
06-27-2010, 11:04 AM
Submitted by patteeu, Kansas City, MO (Name & Location)

Appetizers (Category Type)

patteeu's pig-wrapped peppers (Name of Recipe)

40 Minutes (Prep Time)

8 servings (Servings)

Ingredients

8 Large Jalapeño Peppers
1-8oz package of Cream Cheese
1-2oz package of Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix
2-3 Green Oninons (diced)
8 strips of lean, uncooked Bacon

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees

2. Cut jalapeños in half, length wise, and clean out seeds and ribs.

3. Mix cream cheese, dressing mix, and onions.

4. Fill each pepper half with the cream cheese mixture.

5. Wrap each filled pepper half with 1/2 slice of uncooked bacon and place on a broiler pan.

6. Cook on a middle rack of the oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until bacon is well cooked.

Additional Notes

1. The more thoroughly you clean the peppers, the more mild they will be.

2. Optionally, add cooked crumbled bacon bits to the cream cheese mixture.

RJ
06-30-2010, 09:33 PM
I have company coming this weekend, think I'll take patteau's jalapenos for a test drive.

petegz28
06-30-2010, 09:55 PM
Ok, I smoked a brisket today on the grill and it was ****ing wonderful!! RJ sent me the recipe. I didn't follow it to the "T" but I did more or less.

For a 5-6 # brisket:

Rub:
Salt
cayenne pepper
black peppe
brown sugar

Mix as desired. I just eyeballed it more or less. You know what flavors you like.

Apply rub to a brisket on both sides, cover and let cure over night
I soaked apple and cherry wood chips overnight as well

Fire up grill, when coals are about white put a bowl of water in the grill, throw some chips on the coals and put the meat in a foil pan on the grill, fat side up over indirect heat.

Keep the temp between 195-250
Smoke the meat for 6-8 hours. I did 6.5
add chips for the first few hours every half hour or so. I added coals as needed.

Baste the meat with the juices every so often. The last 2 hours I basted with apple cider as well

After meat is done take off and let stand 1 hour.

I made up my standard sauce of Gates original, extra hot, honey and brown sugar.

IT WAS ****ING AWESOME!!!!!ELEVENTYBILLION111111

Here are some pics...

patteeu
06-30-2010, 10:24 PM
I have company coming this weekend, think I'll take patteau's jalapenos for a test drive.

uh oh ;)

HonestChieffan
07-01-2010, 08:17 AM
Any interest in chuckwagon style recipes?

I do a lot in dutch ovens and over the campfire type cooking especially in deer season and winter time. Also, anyone interested in sourdough? I do a lot with sourdough but you have to be dedicated and keep your starter going...takes about 5 min every 2-43 weeks is all.

RJ
07-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Hey Pete, that looks great. The foil pan really helps with the smaller brisket and you can still feed a lot of people with 5 pounds.

petegz28
07-01-2010, 08:17 PM
Hey Pete, that looks great. The foil pan really helps with the smaller brisket and you can still feed a lot of people with 5 pounds.

Thanks. It fed 3 of us plus and plenty of left overs.

patteeu
07-02-2010, 05:36 AM
Thanks. It fed 3 of us plus and plenty of left overs.

Plus what?

DaKCMan AP
07-02-2010, 05:57 AM
Plus what?

Perhaps plus is an acronym for particularly large unlucky saps or poor lonely useless sentries.

petegz28
07-02-2010, 07:16 AM
Plus what?

Meant plus plenty of left overs, smart ass. :D

petegz28
07-07-2010, 07:11 AM
Pete's smoked ribs on the grill

1 slab of baby back pork ribs
2-3 bottles of Smithwick's Irish Ale (or whatever beer you choose. Please use one with some flavor, no Coors Light, etc.)
Jack Stack Meat & Poultry rub or whatever rub you choose
1 bag of Kingsford Hickory Charcoal
Apple woodchips or whatever wood you wish to use
Gates orginal and extra hot sauce
Honey
Brown sugar
Aluminum foil
bowl of water (one that is heat resistant)

Marinate ribs overnight in beer and soak the wood chips in water over night.

Next day....
Put the rub on the meat to your liking. I am pretty liberal with mine.
Fire up the coals, when they start to smoke and burn push them into 2 piles on either side of the grill (charcoal trays make this a cinch).
DO NOT PUT THE TOP GRILL ON!!!
Place a bowl of water in the middle of the grill
When the coals are starting to turn grey and are putting off a lot of smoke throw some soaked but drained woodchips on the coals

Note: Grills that have flip up sides are great for this cause it is easy to add coals and wood

Put the grill on and put the meat on between the 2 piles of coals so that none of the slab is covering the coals and make sure the slab is over the bowl of water, cover the grill and close the top air vent 3/4 leaving the bottom vent(s) wide open. Try not to let the temp get over 300. If it does close the vents more or lift the lid on occasion to let some heat escape. 200-250 is what I shoot for.

Add woodchips every so often over the next 2 hours. After about 3 hours take the ribs off and wrap them in foil and put them back on the grill.

Make up your sauce. This is all preference of course, I use Gates sauce for my base. Mix Gates Original and Extra hot in equal amounts. Add honey and brown sugar to taste. If you do it like me it will taste sweet at first then hit you with hot stuff.

After 1.5 hours of the meat in the foil open the foil and sauce up the meat being very liberal with the sauce. Leave the foil open so the sauce can bake better into the meat and cover the grill back up and open the vents wide open keeping an eye on the temp.

After 45 min - 1 hour of grilling with the sauce on go ahead and pull the meat off the grill and serve.

Extras: If you're like me you like to add things on the grill besides meat. So here is what I do. About 30 min before the meat is finished I either cut up some pineapple rings and throw them on the grill over the coals or cut some peaches in half, sprinkle the tops with some sugar and grill them face down until the meat is done.

Some asked for some pictures of these. Here is the slab I did over the weekend. YUMMY!!!

Pasta Giant Meatball
07-09-2010, 05:58 PM
Save a bone with a little meat on it, throw it in the pot, add some broth, potato and baby you got a stew goin.

boogblaster
07-09-2010, 09:29 PM
Fresh Salsa

#3 as small as you can diced tomatoes
1 medium onion diced
1 small clove garlic
5-7 japeleno peppers
salt and pepper to taste

make sure you get most of the water out of the tomatoes .. stir up good .. cover in fridge at least 2 hours to let flavors marry ... also good to add to cheese sause the freshness adds a great flavor ...

Simply Red
07-10-2010, 03:04 PM
can I answer anything while i'm in here?

petegz28
07-12-2010, 09:02 PM
can I answer anything while i'm in here?

I don't know, can you??? :hmmm:

HonestChieffan
07-14-2010, 05:34 PM
Boys n girls there s good stuff in this thread. Tailgate seasons comin. Maybe we need recipes and photos during the season.

Gonzo
07-18-2010, 05:31 PM
Usually I wouldn't share this but I'm feeling nice:

Gonzo's wet mop and dry rub for pork ribs:

Dry Rub:
2 tablespoons Sea Salt
2 tablespoons Garlic Salt
3 tablespoons Red Pepper
3 tablespoons Old Bay
3 tablespoons Tony Cachier's (sp?) Cajun Seasoning
2 tablespoons brown sugar
(Measurements are approximate, adjust to taste)

Wet mop:
1/2 cup apple juice
1/2 cup Italian dressing
4 tablespoons apple vinegar
1/2 sliced onion
4 tablespoons olive oil, (not virgin)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons fresh chopped garlic
3 tablespoons cayenne pepper
(Measurements are approximate, adjust to taste)
Posted via Mobile Device

CosmicPal
07-18-2010, 07:32 PM
Boys n girls there s good stuff in this thread. Tailgate seasons comin. Maybe we need recipes and photos during the season.

That's right...Tailgate season is upon us soon. I'm hoping the training camp season will bring us a heap of people who haven't seen this thread yet, and we will gain a few more recipes for the cookbook.

We're almost there...slowly, but surely getting there.

Gracie Dean
07-24-2010, 08:41 PM
Salsa

2 roma tomatos
1 can of petite diced tomatos
1 onion
½ red bell pepper
½ green bell pepper
2 cloves fresh garlic
1 or 2 jalapeno peppers
2 Tomatillos
1 bunch Cilantro
Salt
Lemon pepper spice
Chicken bullion spice
Ground cumin
Lime juice
Water

Boil the Tomatillos and Peppers together until they are soft.

In blender add:

Roma tomatos
Can of diced tomatos
Onion
Red pepper
Green pepper
Garlic
Cilantro
About 1-2 tablespoons salt
About ½ tsp lemon pepper
½ tsp chicken bullion
1 tsp ground cumin

Add both tomatillos (remove stem)
Add 1 whole jalapeno and depending on the hotness desired seed the second jalapeno and add it (if you like it hotter, leave the seeds in, if you like it milder deseed the first pepper and skip the second.

Cut one lime in ½ and squeeze both halves in the blender…I use 2 limes
Fill blender under ½ of water

Gracie Dean
07-25-2010, 07:31 PM
Carmel Dip

All you do is boil a can of sweetened condensed milk (take label off first) for about 2 1/2 -3 hours; make sure you keep pouring water in it to cover the top of can (i fill up a pitcher of water and set beside pan to have ready to add when needed). Also need to roll it around every once in awhile so it won't burn in same spot. Then after time is up, take it out and let it cool. THEN open it and add about 1 tsp vanilla, mix well and eat! Its sooo creamy and tastes just like carmel dip in store!!

RJ
07-28-2010, 03:22 PM

40 Minutes (Prep Time)

8 servings (Servings)

Ingredients

8 Large Jalapeño Peppers

Directions

5. Wrap each filled pepper half with 1/2 slice of uncooked bacon and place on a broiler pan.

6. Cook on a middle rack of the oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until bacon is well cooked.

Additional Notes

I made these on July 4th weekend and forgot to post. Out of town company had me distracted, I suppose.

There were no Patteau's Pig Wrapped Pepper leftovers. The tray was empty and folks were looking for more. A big hit for sure and I recommend them highly.

The cook time was longer than 20 minutes for me before the bacon was cooked. That may have had to do with the oven I was using.

One change I made was the amount of ranch dip mix. Pat's recipe calls for a 2 oz package. I used half of a 1 oz. package. Maybe the recipe is supposed to read 1/2 oz package and not 1-2 oz package.

Other than that I wouldn't change a thing. Thank you for posting, patteau.

DaFace
07-30-2010, 08:38 AM
In an effort to clean up the clutter around here, I'll be un-stickying this thread shortly. Feel free to keep bumping it as topics come up though.

CosmicPal
07-30-2010, 09:21 AM
In an effort to clean up the clutter around here, I'll be un-stickying this thread shortly. Feel free to keep bumping it as topics come up though.

Ahhhh...I was hoping we could keep this up during the training camp when most of those who'd been gone all summer would arrive and see this.

But I do understand your need for cleaning...

DaFace
07-30-2010, 09:22 AM
Ahhhh...I was hoping we could keep this up during the training camp when most of those who'd been gone all summer would arrive and see this.

But I do understand your need for cleaning...

Like I said, feel free to bump it as much as you want. We generally have tried not to leave stickies up for more than a few weeks, though, and now that we're coming back into the season, it'll be helpful to get rid of a few.

CosmicPal
07-30-2010, 09:25 AM
Like I said, feel free to bump it as much as you want. We generally have tried not to leave stickies up for more than a few weeks, though, and now that we're coming back into the season, it'll be helpful to get rid of a few.

I understand. And I'll do that.

Thanks for keeping it up for as long as you did.

WE STILL NEED SOME RECIPES!!!!!!

NO RECIPES. NO BOOK. :D

patteeu
08-02-2010, 03:59 PM
I made these on July 4th weekend and forgot to post. Out of town company had me distracted, I suppose.

There were no Patteau's Pig Wrapped Pepper leftovers. The tray was empty and folks were looking for more. A big hit for sure and I recommend them highly.

The cook time was longer than 20 minutes for me before the bacon was cooked. That may have had to do with the oven I was using.

One change I made was the amount of ranch dip mix. Pat's recipe calls for a 2 oz package. I used half of a 1 oz. package. Maybe the recipe is supposed to read 1/2 oz package and not 1-2 oz package.

My wife thought it was "about" 20 minutes but I didn't really test it and she said she just cooks them until they're done so maybe a longer time is required. How long did it take you?

As for the ranch mix, she says we use the 2 oz package so I guess it's just a "season to taste" issue.

Glad you liked them.

Gracie Dean
08-05-2010, 06:42 PM
need to keep this on the front page

Detoxing
08-06-2010, 12:28 PM
Garlic Lemon Stuffed Chicken Breast

Submitted by: Detoxing

Ingredients:

6-8 Skinned Chicken Breasts
8 oz Cream Cheese
8 oz Sharp Cheddar Cheese
Romano Cheese
Italian Bread Crumb
3/4 Cup Butter
2-3 Lemons
Minced Garlic
Garlic Salt.

Ok, here goes:

First preheat the oven to 350 degrees

Take each chicken breast and butterfly them. Spread 'em open nice and even.

Cut Slices of cream cheese and spread them on one half of the butterflied chicken.

Cut slices of cheddar cheese and layer on top of the cream cheese.

Fold the chicken breasts over and tuck the corners so that the cheese does not flow out when baking.

Pour your Italian bread crumb into a bowl and carefully coat each stuffed chicken breast in the bread crumb.

Grease a larger casserole dish with oil and place each coated chicken breast.

Sprinkle as desired with romano cheese

Squeeze 2-3 lemons for fresh lemon juice into a cup.

Mince your fresh garlic as desired.

Melt 3/4 cup butter in sauce pan, add lemon juice and garlic. Add garlic salt as you desire over low-med heat.

Pour sauce over each chicken breast.

Bake @ 350 degrees for approx 30 minutes or until no longer pink. Enjoy.

patteeu
08-11-2010, 04:33 PM
need to keep this on the front page

If you insist.

petegz28
12-10-2010, 10:31 AM
Easy (sort of ) Raviloi...

Ok, I like to make my own sauce but for time purposes here is a good quick fix...

4 jars of Ragu, 2 traditional, and 2 flavored, I used the basil and garlic flavors.
Don't use Prego cause it sucks.

Empty the jars into a big pot.
Grill or fry italian sausages. I usually cook up 2 packs of Scimecas, 1 regular 1 hot
then cut the links in half and dump them in the sauce
V's makes good meatballs if you don't want to make your own. Toss a bag of frozen
meatballs intot he sauce or make your own, fry them up and same.

I never measure so this part is up to you..
Add some basil, garlic powder, small amount of olive oil and a few scoops of sugar and stir

Sautee some onions and mushrooms in red wine vinegar and olive oil
Add the onions and mushrooms into the sauice

Put sauce on medium heat until it starts to bubble and keep stirring for about 30-45 min

Put sauce on simmer and let sit overnight.

Next day bring sauce up to heat again, boil your raviloi (in a separate pot of course) and there you have it.

Everyone loves it when I do this. Even the Italian side of the family.

cdcox
09-25-2011, 02:43 PM
I cobbled this recipe together from a couple others I found on the internet. Turned out really good. I want to put it here so I can find it later and to share. I had some leftover shells, so I've adjusted some the of quantities upward to use them all up and make more deliciousness.

Stuffed Pasta Shells

1 box large pasta shells
1 large onion chopped
6 cloves garlic minced and divided in two
olive oil
2 lb sweet Italian sausage
red pepper flakes to taste
15 oz whole milk ricotta cheese
1 t sugar
3 cups cream
28 oz Italian tomatoes chopped or crushed, partially drained
1/4 cup basil
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.

Preheat oven to 350.

1. Boil pasta shells in salted water according to package, just short of al dente. Drain.
2. Saute onion in olive oil. Divide the sauteed onion into two separate skillets.
3. To one skillet, add half of the garlic and the tomatoes. Season with red pepper flakes. Cook for 5 min, then add cream and simmer until the shells are stuffed.
4. To the other skillet, add the sausage and saute until browned. Add remaining garlic and season with red pepper flakes and cook for another minute.
5. Mix together the sausage, sugar, and ricotta cheese. Stuff the shells with this mixture and place them in a large casserole, with a little olive oil spread over the bottom.
6. Add finely chopped basil to the tomato cream sauce.
7. Pour the sauce over the shells. Sprinkle the shredded Parmesan. Cover with foil and bake for 45 min.
8. Uncover and bake for another 15. Let sit for 10 min.

CosmicPal
09-25-2011, 03:07 PM
cdcox- that sounds like a great recipe!

And thanks for bring this back. We need more recipe. It'd be a shame if we couldn't get enough for a book. Lots of good recipes so far.

Count Zarth
10-27-2011, 12:28 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Uz070.jpg

onion
2-3 jalapeno
3 cloves of garlic
16 ounces sharp cheddar
8 ounces swiss
flour
bottle of beer (used a saison)
dash of Worsc. sauce
pinch of cayenne
good squeeze of whole grain mustard
bacon grease
cream (ended up using about 1/2 cup)

saute onion and jalapeno in bacon grease until soft
add in garlic for about 30 seconds
add in beer and bring to a boil
add in worsc, cayenne, nad whole grain mustard
reduce heat to medium
toss the cheese in flour and toss in a handful at a time until melted
once all the cheese has melted add in cream until it is creamy.

Extra Point
01-15-2012, 01:48 PM
Found this thread, searching for sourdough. Anyone got a recipe for sourdough starter, besides Pioli?

Fried Meat Ball!
01-15-2012, 02:41 PM
Found this thread, searching for sourdough. Anyone got a recipe for sourdough starter, besides Pioli?

This is what I use: http://bit.ly/zCbhro

Pawnmower
01-15-2012, 02:47 PM
Great thread I will try and contribute

patteeu
01-15-2012, 02:48 PM

40 Minutes (Prep Time)

8 servings (Servings)

Ingredients

8 Large Jalapeño Peppers

Directions

Additional Notes

I've found that this works better if you microwave the bacon (8 strips for about 4 minutes, rotating after the first 2 minutes) makes this work out better and probably brings the cook time down closer to the listed 20 minutes. Microwaving the bacon for that length of time results in strips that are still flexible enough to wrap around the jalapenos, but partially cooked.

Gonzo
01-15-2012, 02:48 PM
It sucks that this fell by the wayside. I think it was a damn good idea.
You guys need to get organized here.

Extra Point
01-15-2012, 02:52 PM
This is what I use: http://bit.ly/zCbhro

FMB, been there, at the top of that search list. Is your Mom holding out on us, or is she like my Mom, who's gone? Otherwise, I wouldn't have asked, sir.

Where is a good recipe, for sourdough starter, besides the Cassel crock that Pioli brings to our table?

mlyonsd
01-15-2012, 03:00 PM
Easy Taverns (loosemeats)

3 lbs. 93% Ground beef
2 T Mustard
4 T Horseradish sauce - mild or hot depending on how you like it
2 T Worcestershire
1 t Salt
2 t Black Pepper
2 t Accent meat tenderizer
1 Medium onion finely chopped
1/2 C Water
1/2 C Ketchup

Throw everything in a stock pot and simmer on low 3-4 hours with the lid on, stirring occaisionally. After that take the lid off and turn the heat up a bit until the extra liquid evaporates.

Can be made up ahead and reheated in a crock pot for the grazers in the crowd. Served with your favorite condiments, especially mustard and pickles (my favorite)

mlyonsd
01-15-2012, 03:24 PM
Reuben Dip - since SB parties are not far away

3-4 Packages thinly sliced Deli corned beef (Budding, Hillshire Farms, whatever) - chopped into little pieces
1 lb Shredded Swiss cheese
1 can Sauerkraut - drained
8 oz bottle of Thousand Island Dressing

Throw all of that into a crock pot to heat

Serve on cocktail rye or pumpernickel bread. I like to spread them out on a cookie sheet and toast them in the oven so they're crisp. You can also use crackers.

Disclaimer, if you like reubens once you start eating this it's hard to stop.

Fried Meat Ball!
01-15-2012, 03:43 PM
FMB, been there, at the top of that search list. Is your Mom holding out on us, or is she like my Mom, who's gone? Otherwise, I wouldn't have asked, sir.

Where is a good recipe, for sourdough starter, besides the Cassel crock that Pioli brings to our table?

Come on, just busting your chops. Simmah down.

:thumb:

Sorry, I have nothing. I don't care for sourdough.

Extra Point
01-15-2012, 04:12 PM
Come on, just busting your chops. Simmah down.

:thumb:

Sorry, I have nothing. I don't care for sourdough.

Yeah, I bet when you've had a grilled olive oil-dressed sourdough, with a scant powdering of garlic powder, onto the prior-grilled bread slice, a SMOKED corned beef brisket, grilled into a Reuben, with sauerkraut and 1000 island dressing, will then change your mind.

Just sayin'....

CosmicPal
01-17-2012, 09:06 PM
It sucks that this fell by the wayside. I think it was a damn good idea.
You guys need to get organized here.

Couldn't agree more. I can contribute a few more recipes and while we do have a fair amount thus far, we certainly fall short of any book. A few more recipes and we might be getting somewhere. Let's hope it happens.

DaKCMan AP
01-18-2012, 05:21 AM
1. Vegan split pea soup
2. Vegetable soup
3. Burmese fish curry

cdcox
04-09-2012, 07:41 PM
Last week I learned that the best Chinese restaurant in town shut down. There is one near my work that I frequent much more often, but this place was authentic. There was a dish called chicken hot pot that I loved. So tonight I gave my first shot a reproducing it. I captured the character of the dish, but fell short on the heat. I'll list the recipe, then give the mods I'll try next time. I cooked it in a clay pot, but you could use a normal casserole or a crock pot.

2-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, chopped into bite size pieces.
1 bunch cilantro, with the stems removed
1 medium onion sliced
1 bunch scallions rough sliced
7 jalapeno peppers sliced
6 quarter-sized slices of peeled ginger
3 cloves garlic, fine chopped
1/4 cup soy
4 cups chicken broth

Throw everything into your cooking dish (clay pot, casserole or crockpot). Cook appropriately according to device. I used a clay pot at 475 F for 60 min.

I'll try this one again. The dish at the restaurant was intensely hot. Mine hot was enough to clear the sinuses, but fell short of the characteristic intensity. I would double the number of veggies (cilantro through garlic) next time. I would also hunt down some Sichuan pepper, which gives the dish much of its character. The cilantro and jalapeno peppers seem weird for Chinese food, but worked really well.

I also cooked the rice in the leftover cooking liquid, which is non-authentic, but I didn't want those flavors to go to waste.

DaKCMan AP
04-10-2012, 05:14 AM
Last week I learned that the best Chinese restaurant in town shut down. There is one near my work that I frequent much more often, but this place was authentic. There was a dish called chicken hot pot that I loved. So tonight I gave my first shot a reproducing it. I captured the character of the dish, but fell short on the heat. I'll list the recipe, then give the mods I'll try next time. I cooked it in a clay pot, but you could use a normal casserole or a crock pot.

1 medium onion sliced
1/4 cup soy
4 cups chicken broth

Throw everything into your cooking dish (clay pot, casserole or crockpot). Cook appropriately according to device. I used a clay pot at 475 F for 60 min.

I'll try this one again. The dish at the restaurant was intensely hot. Mine hot was enough to clear the sinuses, but fell short of the characteristic intensity. I would double the number of veggies (cilantro through garlic) next time. I would also hunt down some Sichuan pepper, which gives the dish much of its character. The cilantro and jalapeno peppers seem weird for Chinese food, but worked really well.

I also cooked the rice in the leftover cooking liquid, which is non-authentic, but I didn't want those flavors to go to waste.

"Hot pot" is found in several Asian cuisines. The traditional dish is made in a metal pot. You create a stock and then bring it to simmering. Then you transfer it to the table and keep it simmering at the table (possibly using a portable gas stove). At the table is where you drop in other items (meat, vegetables, shrooms, noodles, herbs) and allow them to cook anywhere from 1 min to however long the food item takes.

DaKCMan AP
04-10-2012, 05:23 AM
I'm under the weather so I made a vegetarian "chicken noodle" soup yesterday.

96oz veg. broth/stock
2 tbsp olive oil
2 medium sweet onions
6 cloves garlic, minced
4 celery stalks, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
4 jalapeno peppers, sliced
12oz wide egg noodles
2 dill pickles, sliced (optional)
black pepper
thyme
2 bay leaves
fresh parsley, chopped

Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add garlic, onion, celery, and carrots and allow to saute for 3-4 minutes. Add black pepper, thyme, and the bay leaves. Allow to saute for another 2 minutes. Add the broth/stock and bring to a low boil. Turn down the heat to a simmer and add the sliced jalapeno and the egg noodles. Allow to simmer for 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and add the sliced pickles if using, more black pepper, and the fresh parsley. Let sit for 10-15 minutes before serving.

Fried Meat Ball!
04-10-2012, 05:52 AM

1 medium onion sliced
1/4 cup soy
4 cups chicken broth

Skip the jalapeno and go for the sichuan pepper and find some sriracha sauce.

Mr. Plow
04-10-2012, 07:43 AM
tag

cdcox
04-10-2012, 08:01 AM
"Hot pot" is found in several Asian cuisines. The traditional dish is made in a metal pot. You create a stock and then bring it to simmering. Then you transfer it to the table and keep it simmering at the table (possibly using a portable gas stove). At the table is where you drop in other items (meat, vegetables, shrooms, noodles, herbs) and allow them to cook anywhere from 1 min to however long the food item takes.

In researching how to recreate the dish I did find this to be the most common description of hot pot. That wasn't how this place prepared it. It came pre-cooked on a plate, and the chicken pieces were too large to cook in a short period of time. My goal was to recreate the dish at the now-closed restaurant, and with the modifications, I'll be very close.

cdcox
04-10-2012, 08:09 AM
Skip the jalapeno and go for the sichuan pepper and find some sriracha sauce.

Agree on the sichuan pepper, but the jalapeno's were in the restaurant dish and the sriracha would completely change the character.

Fried Meat Ball!
04-10-2012, 08:18 AM
Agree on the sichuan pepper, but the jalapeno's were in the restaurant dish and the sriracha would completely change the character.

Having not tasted it, I'll take your word. Just seems weird to have jalapeno in a Chinese dish. Figured the sriracha was more in line with what they'd use. :shrug:

DaKCMan AP
04-10-2012, 09:16 AM
In researching how to recreate the dish I did find this to be the most common description of hot pot. That wasn't how this place prepared it. It came pre-cooked on a plate, and the chicken pieces were too large to cook in a short period of time. My goal was to recreate the dish at the now-closed restaurant, and with the modifications, I'll be very close.

If you're using a clay pot you may want to venture into korean dolsot bibimbap.

http://lacornerkitchen.com/images/dolsot-bibimbap.jpg

cdcox
04-10-2012, 10:03 AM
Having not tasted it, I'll take your word. Just seems weird to have jalapeno in a Chinese dish. Figured the sriracha was more in line with what they'd use. :shrug:

I researched the use of jalapeno peppers in Chinese food. Basically, no peppers are indigenous to China, so all of them have been imported at one time or another. You could even say that adapting recipes to take advantage of locally available ingredients is a hallmark of Chinese cooking.

With respect to the use of sriracha, it's kind of like the green chili versus red chili cooking in the southwest. Different character to the dishes.

cdcox
04-10-2012, 10:07 AM
If you're using a clay pot you may want to venture into korean dolsot bibimbap.

Yeah, I'd definitely try that.

sedated
06-08-2012, 01:40 PM
Question for the experts:

I don’t have a smoker, but I’m making brisket (or chuck roast) this weekend. I will probably slice or cube some for the authentic BBQ experience, but might also shred some for sandwiches and brisket tacos.

I can see 2 methods for making it in the oven, and can’t decide which is better:

1. Braising it – either by wrapping it in foil, or letting the meat sit in the juice while it cooks. Essentially the same as throwing it in a crock-pot, which I’ve had success with pulled pork.

2. Elevating the meat so it is NOT in the juice while it cooks, by putting it on a rack in a roasting pan. I’ve seen a few people say you should never cook the meat in the juice, I assume because it will produce a better crust. Although, those people have still advocated covering it in foil, which seems like it would soften the crust.

Any thoughts?

Another conundrum – since I want to give it some form of crust, I’m torn as to whether I should sear the meat BEFORE I cook it, or if I would be better served to broil each side AFTER it is done cooking. I’ve seen both suggested.

sedated
06-08-2012, 05:52 PM
Thanks, guys :p

sedated
06-10-2012, 03:06 PM
I can tell from the overwhelming responses that you would all like an update, so here it is.

I got a 3 pound brisket (flat). Before cooking I trimmed as much of the fat as I could and brushed on a mix of: liquid smoke, Worcestershire, brown sugar, (with a little bit of) chipotle powder, black pepper, paprika. Then wrapped in foil and threw in the oven at 225 for 5 hours.

It was really good, not falling apart but tender, and it had a better crust than I expected.

However, I sliced the rest and threw it in the fridge, and I also kept the drippings from the foil (in a separate container). Today I threw the drippings and the leftover brisket in a Pyrex dish, covered with foil, and put in the oven at 225 for about 2 or 3 hours, and it was disgustingly tender, like orgasmically tender. Perhaps more moist than I am used to, but it was falling apart and beautiful. I will definitely be doing this again.

DaKCMan AP
06-11-2012, 05:53 AM
I can tell from the overwhelming responses that you would all like an update, so here it is.

I got a 3 pound brisket (flat). Before cooking I trimmed as much of the fat as I could and brushed on a mix of: liquid smoke, Worcestershire, brown sugar, (with a little bit of) chipotle powder, black pepper, paprika. Then wrapped in foil and threw in the oven at 225 for 5 hours.

It was really good, not falling apart but tender, and it had a better crust than I expected.

However, I sliced the rest and threw it in the fridge, and I also kept the drippings from the foil (in a separate container). Today I threw the drippings and the leftover brisket in a Pyrex dish, covered with foil, and put in the oven at 225 for about 2 or 3 hours, and it was disgustingly tender, like orgasmically tender. Perhaps more moist than I am used to, but it was falling apart and beautiful. I will definitely be doing this again.

I'm curious as to why, if you weren't going to smoke it, you trimmed off all of the fat? If I were cooking it in the oven I'd leave the fat on while cooking and then trim it off after.

sedated
06-11-2012, 07:49 AM
I'm curious as to why, if you weren't going to smoke it, you trimmed off all of the fat? If I were cooking it in the oven I'd leave the fat on while cooking and then trim it off after.

I figured that the fat is only needed when it is being cooked (baked) in a smoker, so the fat can keep the meat moist and as it renders off. Since I was cooking this brisket wrapped in foil, the (little bit of) fat and the juices wouldn’t drip off and would braise the meat, rather than bake it.

tooge
06-11-2012, 08:06 AM
my mom does oven brisket. I'd rather have it on a smoker, but she has always done it this way, and it is pretty darn good. She puts it in a baking dish, coveres it with sliced vidalia onions, and then covers the dish with foil. Not sure of exact time and temp, but its at least a 7 or 8 hour deal. It is very tender, and the onions go very well with it.

DaKCMan AP
06-11-2012, 08:29 AM
I figured that the fat is only needed when it is being cooked (baked) in a smoker, so the fat can keep the meat moist and as it renders off. Since I was cooking this brisket wrapped in foil, the (little bit of) fat and the juices wouldn’t drip off and would braise the meat, rather than bake it.

I think it's the other way around. Smoking it you want to have it more lean because the smoke may not penetrate the layer of fat to get to the meat. In the oven I'd leave more fat on and cook it fat side up so that the juices and flavors melt down into the meat.

sedated
06-11-2012, 10:09 AM
I think it's the other way around. Smoking it you want to have it more lean because the smoke may not penetrate the layer of fat to get to the meat. In the oven I'd leave more fat on and cook it fat side up so that the juices and flavors melt down into the meat.

Judging from the one I did this weekend, I’m not sure any extra fat would have stayed in the foil anyway, that thing was spilling out juice even with the fat trimmed and the brisket triple-wrapped in foil.

I’ve never heard the “fat may not penetrate as deep into the meat” argument, but I would guess that a trimmed brisket would dry-out pretty quickly in that sort of environment. But I’ve never doen authentic smoking before, so what do I know. Perhaps there is some science involved where the smoke skips the fat and just penetrates beef, but you’d have to ask Alton Brown about that one.