PDA

View Full Version : Life Smellympics - Round 3, Heat 3

Rain Man
05-08-2010, 10:42 AM
Take a deep breath through your nose and pick four.

alnorth
05-08-2010, 10:45 AM
I'll be shocked if frying bacon doesn't make the final four.

Rain Man
05-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Yeah, bacon and brownies are probably going to be like Ali and Foreman in this heat.

Rain Man
05-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Now that I think about it, it's interesting that ham didn't even get nominated.

Baconeater
05-08-2010, 10:53 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ug_iluxQ1IQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ug_iluxQ1IQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

mlyonsd
05-08-2010, 11:00 AM
Man, I stayed up almost all night waiting for this heat.

Zebedee DuBois
05-08-2010, 11:00 AM
hamburger is getting too much attention...it was in the last heat.

cdcox
05-08-2010, 11:02 AM
I just want movie popcorn to die. It ain't all that.

mlyonsd
05-08-2010, 11:02 AM
If you don't vote for lasagna you evidently don't know how to make it either.

alnorth
05-08-2010, 11:03 AM
Lasagna is a worthy entry. Pasta, melted cheese, meat sauce, all in a hot delicious pan.

Baconeater
05-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Oh shit, I effed up and voted for lasagna instead of hamburgers and hot dogs grilling. We need to start this heat over.

alnorth
05-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Looks like the gamesmanship has started. A couple people, knowing that bacon is clearly going to win this one going away, are voting for other favored smells.

LaChapelle
05-08-2010, 11:21 AM
allergies

Rain Man
05-08-2010, 11:45 AM
Okay, people. You're scaring me with the brownies. That should be a final four smell. Why is it not getting the votes?

mlyonsd
05-08-2010, 11:48 AM
Okay, people. You're scaring me with the brownies. That should be a final four smell. Why is it not getting the votes?

What, are you like 12?

cdcox
05-08-2010, 12:00 PM

Brownies smell good, but the payoff just isn't there fore me. If I wake up knowing I'm going to get to eat a brownie, it's just an ordinary day. But if I know I'm going to get to eat a good piece of apple pie, that makes an elite day.

Rain Man
05-08-2010, 12:02 PM
What, are you like 12?

I am when I smell brownies in the oven. That's the magic of brownie smell.

patteeu
05-08-2010, 12:03 PM
It's criminal that freshly cut grass isn't doing better.

mlyonsd
05-08-2010, 12:05 PM
It's criminal that freshly cut grass isn't doing better.

You must have missed the Yard Work thread.

Rain Man
05-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Brownies smell good, but the payoff just isn't there fore me. If I wake up knowing I'm going to get to eat a brownie, it's just an ordinary day. But if I know I'm going to get to eat a good piece of apple pie, that makes an elite day.

I like apple pie, but apple pie is the smell of old people having dessert when they get their social security check. Brownies are the smell of young people having dessert while they plan for greatness in the future.

Zebedee DuBois
05-08-2010, 12:15 PM
I like apple pie, but apple pie is the smell of old people having dessert when they get their social security check. Brownies are the smell of young people having dessert while they plan for greatness in the future.

It is not to late to sue your parents for dropping you on your head.

cdcox
05-08-2010, 12:16 PM

Hey, no fair using your professional marketing powers to influence the poll.

Zebedee DuBois
05-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Popcorn!!??!! Really?? Popcorn?!?? over Apple Pie?!?!

OVER APPLE PIE!?!!!! which has warm apples!!...cinnamon!!.. and a Mother's Love!!!..AND IS A PIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I weep for our youth.

mlyonsd
05-08-2010, 12:21 PM

I have to ask...once the brownies are baked. Frosted or unfrosted?

Baconeater
05-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Sprinkled with powdered sugar. AND NO FUCKING WALNUTS!!!

Rain Man
05-08-2010, 12:23 PM

If a brownie is frosted, it's no longer a brownie. It's a flat cake.

And the biggest sin in the world is putting nuts in brownies. I'd like to know what nefarious supervillain started that bit of evil.

A brownie should be a cube of chocolatey goodness, nothing else.

Rain Man
05-08-2010, 12:26 PM
AND NO ****ING WALNUTS!!!

Exactly. It's the fastest way in the world to turn a brownie into just another dessert. Brownies should be pure.

cdcox
05-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Popcorn!!??!! Really?? Popcorn?!?? over Apple Pie?!?!

OVER APPLE PIE!?!!!! which has warm apples!!...cinnamon!!.. and a Mother's Love!!!..AND IS A PIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I weep for our youth.

Seriously.

Some minimum-wage-earning 16-year old dumps some corn to the popper and then they bake it under a heat lamp for 10 hours.

Brownies take about 5 minutes to go from package to oven.

An apple pie requires, peeling the apples, coring and slicing them, making a good pie dough, rolling it out forming it, mixing the apples with the sugar and spices, filling the crust, fluting the edge, and basting the top with milk and sugar to give it a beautiful glaze. It is a work of passion.

cdcox
05-08-2010, 12:27 PM
I hate to break it to you all, but the brownies in the poll have nuts in them. Big honkers.

mlyonsd
05-08-2010, 12:28 PM
Ok, just checking. I was afraid I was going to have to neg rep someone for the first time if they thought brownies should be frosted.

Nuts, I can go either way.

Edit. :doh!:

Rain Man
05-08-2010, 12:30 PM
I hate to break it to you all, but the brownies in the poll have nuts in them. Big honkers.

Filberts? God, please not filberts.

Edit: wrong nut. What's the name of those really, really big nuts that you find in mixed nut cans? The really, really big ones? Now it's bugging me because I always thought they were filberts.

Zebedee DuBois
05-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Has there a 'raisins in the cinnamon rolls' discussion in an earlier thread?

cdcox
05-08-2010, 12:34 PM
Filberts? God, please not filberts.

Edit: wrong nut. What's the name of those really, really big nuts that you find in mixed nut cans? The really, really big ones? Now it's bugging me because I always thought they were filberts.

Brazil nuts?

Rain Man
05-08-2010, 12:35 PM

Raisins in cinnamon rolls? That's an abomination.

Baconeater
05-08-2010, 12:35 PM
Now that pisses me off more than the walnuts in the brownies. Or even worse, raisins AND walnuts in the cinnamon rolls. I've killed people for less than that.

Rain Man
05-08-2010, 12:36 PM
Brazil nuts?

By jove, that's it! Brazil nuts!

Brazil nuts in brownies wouldn't work at all.

cdcox
05-08-2010, 12:36 PM
Yeah, I'd prefer to not have any nuts or raisins in my cinnamon rolls, but that doesn't make them inedible or anything.

mlyonsd
05-08-2010, 12:39 PM
Now that pisses me off more than the walnuts in the brownies. Or even worse, raisins AND walnuts in the cinnamon rolls. I've killed people for less than that.

Nuts on any kind of cinnamon roll is wrong.

Pecans on caramel rolls is necessary and should be a punishable offense if not observed.

If I were voted to congress that would be the first bill I'd introduce.

Rain Man
05-08-2010, 12:40 PM
I like nuts and raisins by themselves, but I can't stand them inserted into anything for the most part, other than maybe cashew chicken.

Zebedee DuBois
05-08-2010, 12:43 PM
I agree on 'no nuts in the brownies'
Raisins in cinnamon rolls are not crucial, but I don't mind them.
My aunt made me cinnamon rolls with slivered almonds on top, when I was in college, and they rocked!!, but any other nut addition is frowned upon.

cdcox
05-08-2010, 12:45 PM
I like nuts and raisins by themselves, but I can't stand them inserted into anything for the most part, other than maybe cashew chicken.

Nuts are good in nut tarts and pecan pie. Black walnut ice cream is good too. And butter pecan.

Raisins are good in raisin bread.

Raisins are good in raisin bran and muslix.

I like raisin cookies, oatmeal-raisin cookies, and just plain oatmeal cookies. Three distinct cookies, all good.

Baconeater
05-08-2010, 12:52 PM
Ugh, there is nothing worse than biting into what you think is an oatmeal cookie with chocolate chips in it, and finding out that those chocolate chips are actually raisins.

:Lin:

mlyonsd
05-08-2010, 12:56 PM
Ugh, there is nothing worse than biting into what you think is an oatmeal cookie with chocolate chips in it, and finding out that those chocolate chips are actually raisins.

:Lin:

Yeah I can't think of a single thing I liked raisins bake into or on top of.

Or at all for that matter.

Did you find any morels this year?

Rain Man
05-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Who the heck likes nuts in brownies, then? None of us like them. What's the deal with that? Is it a conspiracy by the Big Nut industry to buy off cookbooks?

mlyonsd
05-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Who the heck likes nuts in brownies, then? None of us like them. What's the deal with that? Is it a conspiracy by the Big Nut industry to buy off cookbooks?

It can all be traced back to Jimmy Carter. If I were a betting man I'd say if you follow the money he has more fingers in the nut jar than just peanuts.

patteeu
05-08-2010, 01:16 PM
I don't like walnuts.

I like brownies both plain and with pecans but prefer them with pecans. I even like them fine with frosting although I understand now that that's just flat cake.

I'm not a big fan of cinnamon rolls or oatmeal cookies, but to the extent I eat them I like raisins in them.

Who knew my tastes were so unusual? :shrug:

Rain Man
05-08-2010, 03:35 PM
It can all be traced back to Jimmy Carter. If I were a betting man I'd say if you follow the money he has more fingers in the nut jar than just peanuts.

Whoooaaaa, it's all coming together now.

And patteeu, I know you get asked this in DC a lot, but I have to ask it here in regard to nuts and raisins. What the hell is wrong with you?

LaChapelle
05-08-2010, 05:11 PM
If you don't like nuts in cinnamon rolls
you've never had peanut butter rolls
sweatened peanut butter in place of cinnamon -heaven

teedubya
05-08-2010, 06:02 PM
Fresh female genitalia is my favorite smell, taste, sight and feeling... and moans are my favorite sound. lol

Must be a lot of gay mofo's taking part in this poll. Although, they probably call it a pole.