PDA

View Full Version : Life Smellympics - Round 4, Heat 1. The Sweet 16.

Rain Man
05-09-2010, 08:13 PM
Okay, we have two heats of 8 now in the Sweet Smelling 16. The top four in each heat will move on to the Elite Olfactory Eight.

Some worthy smells will drop by the wayside in this round.

LetsSignRussell
05-09-2010, 08:14 PM
your thread making = 10/10

Rain Man
05-09-2010, 08:16 PM
your thread making = 10/10

(Polite nod of thanks.)

LetsSignRussell
05-09-2010, 08:16 PM
what if i'm just the damn devil and pick like 6?

Rain Man
05-09-2010, 08:19 PM
I'm going to come out and take a stand here.

Don't just hit the meats out of habit. Think about the thick, fertile smell of ozone after a hard summer rain, and the cleanliness of the world that it implies. Breathing deeply of the luxurient atmosphere full of Mother Earth is one of the most primordially satisfying smells a person can have. Don't overlook it just because you can eat the other stuff.

Oh, and vote bread too, of course, but I figure bread will need less marketing than the air after a rainstorm. Bread's appeal is obvious.

cdcox
05-09-2010, 08:19 PM
OK, there is an overt attempt (by lady luck, not Rain Man) to split the Thanksgiving day and smoking meat votes. If you are going to vote for a non-meat smell, at least check which of the meats are getting the votes. Don't let turkey and smoked meats die.

cdcox
05-09-2010, 08:20 PM
Rain Man cannot live by bread alone.

Rain Man
05-09-2010, 08:21 PM
what if i'm just the damn devil and pick like 6?

I will hunt you down and kill you in your living room with a piece of broken glass and some dental floss.

My polls are my children. People don't mess with my polls, or they will face my wrath.

Bacon Cheeseburger
05-09-2010, 08:21 PM
Hmmm...meat on a smoker and hickory and meat smoking together will likely split some votes and knock each other out. Could be interesting...

Rain Man
05-09-2010, 08:23 PM
OK, there is an overt attempt (by lady luck, not Rain Man) to split the Thanksgiving day and smoking meat votes. If you are going to vote for a non-meat smell, at least check which of the meats are getting the votes. Don't let turkey and smoked meats die.

We're now officially in Clash of the Titans mode. No smell could make it this far without being a juggernaut. It'll be interesting to see how the variations on themes start shaking out, though.

Reaper16
05-09-2010, 08:23 PM
Hmmm...meat on a smoker and hickory and meat smoking together will likely split some votes and knock each other out. Could be interesting...
That's why I voted for 'em both.

Rain Man
05-09-2010, 08:27 PM
While I think freshly baked bread and air after a rain may be my top two smells of all, I'm still mourning the untimely loss of baking brownies in Round 3.

LetsSignRussell
05-09-2010, 08:31 PM
OK 46 total votes. who fucked it up? i promise it wasn't me

Rain Man
05-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Air after a rain, people. Air after a rain. Think about going out your back door just as the sun comes out and the air is still cool on your skin, and you breathe in and recognize, 'wow, I can actually smell the very air that I'm breathing', and it's the same sweet smell that the dinosaurs probably smelled back when earth's atmosphere was oxygen-rich to the extreme.

DaFace
05-09-2010, 08:37 PM

Yeah, those are practically the same thing. It'll be interesting for sure.

Rain Man
05-09-2010, 08:39 PM
OK 46 total votes. who ****ed it up? i promise it wasn't me

I'll forgive you for whatever you did if you vote for air after a rain.

LetsSignRussell
05-09-2010, 08:40 PM
I'll forgive you for whatever you did if you vote for air after a rain.

that was my number 1 choice. I love that smell!

Bacon Cheeseburger
05-09-2010, 08:40 PM
Looks like Thanksgiving is in trouble.

Rain Man
05-09-2010, 08:44 PM

The turkey started out strong, but it's losing its legs. Drumsticks. Whatever.

Air after a rain!

cdcox
05-09-2010, 08:50 PM
On a warm summer day the air is thick with the warm lusty meringue of smoke laced with meat. Your mouth waters with anticipation. The perfume penetrates to the earliest primeval portions of your brain, appealing to the instincts where smoke and fire meant another few days of survival.

You kick back in your lawn chair sipping a brew, watching your children play in the wading pool on your driveway, snickering under your breath at the snobby neighbor across the street who wonders what in the devil you are doing sitting on your driveway. Yes, life does not get much better than this.

A rain cloud rolls and a torrential downpour ensues. The kids flea for cover into the house and give your wife a migraine headache. The freshly baked apple pie, chocolate chip cookies, and fresh bread that were cooling on the back deck are drenched and ruined. Your wife starts crying inconsolably.

The beautiful smell of barbecue is replaced by the ozone freshness of a rainfall. You have to retreat to your garage where the odor of cat pan attacks your nostrils. The rain drenches your smoker, prolonging the time before you get to eat. Lightning hits your satellite dish and blows up your big screen TV.

Are you better off now than before it rained?

LetsSignRussell
05-09-2010, 08:51 PM
JUST VOTE FOR AIR AFTER RAIN

Rain Man
05-09-2010, 09:05 PM
On a warm summer day the air is thick with the warm lusty meringue of smoke laced with meat. Your mouth waters with anticipation. The perfume penetrates to the earliest primeval portions of your brain, appealing to the instincts where smoke and fire meant another few days of survival.

You kick back in your lawn chair sipping a brew, watching your children play in the wading pool on your driveway, snickering under your breath at the snobby neighbor across the street who wonders what in the devil you are doing sitting on your driveway. Yes, life does not get much better than this.

A rain cloud rolls and a torrential downpour ensues. The kids flea for cover into the house and give your wife a migraine headache. The freshly baked apple pie, chocolate chip cookies, and fresh bread that were cooling on the back deck are drenched and ruined. Your wife starts crying inconsolably.

The beautiful smell of barbecue is replaced by the ozone freshness of a rainfall. You have to retreat to your garage where the odor of cat pan attacks your nostrils. The rain drenches your smoker, prolonging the time before you get to eat. Lightning hits your satellite dish and blows up your big screen TV.

Are you better off now than before it rained?

But then the clouds break, the sun comes out, and the coolness of the still-damp air kisses the skin of your forearms where they had been burned by the sparking flesh of a dead animal roasting over the fires of hell.

You step out of the garage and the world is a fresh new place, cleansed of its sins and of the tracks of those who came before. All is possible again, all is well. And associated with that new start, that bright new beginning, is the unmistakable sweet aroma of the air after a rain.

Rain Man
05-09-2010, 09:08 PM
JUST VOTE FOR AIR AFTER RAIN

Excellent point. People should rep this man.

Rain Man
05-09-2010, 09:08 PM
Wow. Bread is the secretariat of smells right now.

Zebedee DuBois
05-09-2010, 09:10 PM
I've been trying to include a non food vote in each round, but I'm basically a fatty.

LetsSignRussell
05-09-2010, 09:12 PM
I've been trying to include a non food vote in each round, but I'm basically a fatty.

get your ass in the "i just got back from the gym thread"

cdcox
05-09-2010, 09:15 PM
The rain has drenched your shoes and you are coming down with a case of trench foot. Does flesh rotting from the bones of your feet smell good? I think not!

Rain Man
05-09-2010, 09:59 PM
The rain has drenched your shoes and you are coming down with a case of trench foot. Does flesh rotting from the bones of your feet smell good? I think not!

You're intentionally besmirching the good name of air after a rain. It is a clean and crisp smell, nothing like the smell of the sauerkraut that accompanies your hellishly burning flesh of innocent animals.

Air after a rain is a no-brainer. It's not just a smell. It's THE smell.
(If you're non-religious, click here.) Air after a rain is the first smell ever. When lightning hit the first chemical soup in a manner that produced life, what was the first smell that was there to greet it? Hint: it happened after lightning. That's right. Air after a rain! It's the Adam and Eve of smells, THE original smell experienced by life on earth. (If you're religious, click here.) Think about Noah and the ark. When God decided to cleanse the earth, he did it with rain. And after 40 days and 40 nights, when Noah first stepped out on deck to view a fresh and new world of godliness, what was the first smell he encountered? That's right. Air after a rain! Air after a rain is God's chosen smell for the world.

Reaper16
05-09-2010, 10:21 PM
BBQ is all that matters. I will cut a ho.

Old Dog
05-10-2010, 07:41 AM
OK 46 total votes. who fucked it up? i promise it wasn't me

I don't know if someone else might have as well, but I only voted for 3.

Count Zarth
05-10-2010, 07:43 AM
Vote cookie. Defy the tyranny of meat.

http://www.peppercornpress.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/chocolate_chip_cookies.jpg

http://notmicrowavesafe.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/chocolate-chip-cookies-with-toasted-almonds-0421.jpg

mlyonsd
05-10-2010, 09:10 AM

Good bye America. :shake:

Chiefnj2
05-10-2010, 09:13 AM
The turkey started out strong, but it's losing its legs. Drumsticks. Whatever.

Air after a rain!

It's not fair Turkey/Thanksgiving are splitting the vote.

vailpass
05-10-2010, 09:13 AM
You can tell this is a KC poll. Anything and everything that is somehow a meat being cooked wins over some really good smells.

patteeu
05-10-2010, 09:42 AM

I think the opposite. Lady luck is conspiring against unique smells like the post rainstorm smell by loading up multiple cooked meat and baked carb options to soak up the mulitple votes from the dedicated carnivores and the fatties.

vailpass
05-10-2010, 09:45 AM
I think the opposite. Lady luck is conspiring against unique smells like the post rainstorm smell by loading up multiple cooked meat and baked carb options to soak up the mulitple votes from the dedicated carnivores and the fatties.

LMAO exactly what I was trying to say.

patteeu
05-10-2010, 09:47 AM
The air after the rain is the only smell I voted for. I can cook bread or grill meat anytime I want, but the smell of air after rain is beyond my control and therefore more precious.

cdcox
05-10-2010, 10:00 AM
The air after the rain is the only smell I voted for. I can cook bread or grill meat anytime I want, but the smell of air after rain is beyond my control and therefore more precious.

Stand in the shower and insert a butter knife into an electrical outlet to generate a little ozone. There's your rain shower smell.

patteeu
05-10-2010, 10:03 AM
Stand in the shower and insert a butter knife into an electrical outlet to generate a little ozone. There's your rain shower smell.

I don't get it. Show me what you mean. ;)

Rain Man
05-10-2010, 10:09 AM
Air after a rain is off the mat! Air after a rain is punching like a madman! Cookies are stunned!

Rain Man
05-10-2010, 10:12 AM

That, my friend, is a fantastic point. Air after a rain is not only our oldest smell, but it's also completely untamed. Air after a rain is a wild white stallion rearing up atop a mesa of smells.

RJ
05-10-2010, 10:52 AM
Wow, this heat is close. Smoking meat and meat/hickory are killing each other. Personally, I went for the meat and hickory combo.

patteeu
05-10-2010, 11:05 AM
We're currently experiencing a pretty good rainstorm here in the KC area. I hope the rain ends before the poll does so the locals will have a chance to be reminded of the glorious smell that follows such a storm.

Bacon Cheeseburger
05-10-2010, 11:09 AM
Holy shit this is close, when does the poll officially close anyway?

alnorth
05-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Holy shit this is close, when does the poll officially close anyway?

I think it will close one microsecond after air following the rain edges into 4th.

DJ's left nut
05-10-2010, 12:32 PM
Damn, I wanted to get this posted before the thread went up, but I forgot.

A consideration for the next round-- a 'list' style voting where every option gets listed as many times as you have votes.

This way you can use all your votes on a smell you truly want to advance. If you think smoked meat is so much better than everything else on there that you want to make sure it goes forward, you click it four times and submit.

If you think it's pretty good, but that fresh bread should also move forward, you split your vote between meat and bread (2 a piece).

Thinks of the strategery!

patteeu
05-10-2010, 12:40 PM

A consideration for the next round-- a 'list' style voting where every option gets listed as many times as you have votes.

This way you can use all your votes on a smell you truly want to advance. If you think smoked meat is so much better than everything else on there that you want to make sure it goes forward, you click it four times and submit.

If you think it's pretty good, but that fresh bread should also move forward, you split your vote between meat and bread (2 a piece).

Good idea. Let's start over if air after rain doesn't pull this one out.

Rain Man
05-10-2010, 01:00 PM

Oooh, I really like that concept.

I wonder, though, if we should keep the same system throughout, though. I'd hate to introduce a system bias into the proceedings at this stage.

Maybe I'll use that one for the "best sounds" poll, or the "best sights" poll.

DaFace
05-10-2010, 01:03 PM

I wonder, though, if we should keep the same system throughout, though. I'd hate to introduce a system bias into the proceedings at this stage.

Sounds could be interesting, but it would be tougher to really distinguish between them, I'd imagine. As for sights...I'd put the chances of anything winning other than some exposed feature of the female anatomy at about 100:1.

Rain Man
05-10-2010, 01:09 PM
Man, this race really tightened up, didn't it?

Air after a rain! C'mon, one vote to sneak in on a tie!

Rain Man
05-10-2010, 01:10 PM
Sounds could be interesting, but it would be tougher to really distinguish between them, I'd imagine. As for sights...I'd put the chances of anything winning other than some exposed feature of the female anatomy at about 100:1.

Yeah, in fact I could probably re-use some of language in the smell poll regarding females.

DJ's left nut
05-10-2010, 01:48 PM

The only problem is you're limited in the number of options you can have.

So if you want to select 5 choices, you can only 10 different items to choose from (isn't the poll limitation 50 options?).

That's why I figured you'd only want to use it for the later rounds, after you've already pared away the truly inferior options that couldn't even make it through the prelims.

DJ's left nut
05-10-2010, 01:49 PM

"Ever see a bulldog eating mayonaise?"

Much like the smells competition, I believe this would too many people confusion the image in a vacuum with what said image portends.