PDA

View Full Version : Life Need some tech help from the CP brains (the best techies on earth)

beach tribe
05-10-2010, 10:40 AM
Ok, I just finished (well, pretty much) building my HTPC. I'm switching to Direct TV with the intention of recording this years Chiefs games to an external HD.
I am, at the moment trying to figure out the best way to go about this. I need to know if my best option is to buy a good tuner card, and use my PC as the PVR that I will need to pull this off, or is that possible? I'm pretty good at tech stuff, but a little confused by all of this, and would like some info before I make an expensive mistake. I don't really want to use the DVRs offered by DTV, and like I said, would like to buy hardware for my PC that would allow me to capture HD, specifically NFL games. Does anyone know the best way to go about this. Do I have to use their DVRs? Can I use an HD tuner card?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Please, and Thank you.

Oh, BTW, I would prefer an internal card, but will do whatever it takes.

ArrowheadHawk
05-10-2010, 10:51 AM
You can use an HD tuner card but you will still have to use the DTV reciever to change the channel I believe. I could be wrong though.

Simply Red
05-10-2010, 11:09 AM
NVIDIA FTW!

beach tribe
05-10-2010, 11:09 AM
You can use an HD tuner card but you will still have to use the DTV reciever to change the channel I believe. I could be wrong though.

Not really worried about how I will change the channel, just whether or not I will be able to capture the games in HD. Supposedly they are encrypted or something. I'm really new to all of this, but I built this rig for this purpose(well this, and recording my own music), and I really need to know which route is going to be the least headache, or which is going to work at all for that matter.

patteeu
05-10-2010, 11:11 AM
Could you post your system specs? What OS are you planning to use? I'm going to convert my current comp into an HTPC as soon as I build a new system and it's interesting to see other people's ideas.

beach tribe
05-10-2010, 11:11 AM
NVIDIA FTW!

NVIDIA tuner card? Capture?

My GPU is an Nvidia 7900GS. Not all that great. If I need a new one, I'll get it, but I don't really game on this rig so....

ArrowheadHawk
05-10-2010, 11:12 AM
Not really worried about how I will change the channel, just whether or not I will be able to capture the games in HD. Supposedly they are encrypted or something. I'm really new to all of this, but I built this rig for this purpose(well this, and recording my own music), and I really need to know which route is going to be the least headache, or which is going to work at all for that matter.The signal going from your reciever to your tv will carry a standard High Definition Signal that you can capture on the computer. Now I'm not sure how you will get the picture to both the TV and the Computer but its not going to be encrypted coming from the reciever. You would need a special TV if that were the case.

beach tribe
05-10-2010, 11:16 AM
Asus m4a78 pro Motherboard
AMG Phenom 2 x 4 945 Overclocked at 3.25Ghz
450w Power
Nvidia 7900 GS
PNY 4 x 1 gig DDR2
Samsung DVD RW (Going to upgrade this to a BR soon)
Running XP right now but going to go to Win 7, andupgrade to 8gigs of ram.

Am I forgetting something?

beach tribe
05-10-2010, 11:18 AM
I'm also thinking about going Hackintosh because I hear that Image capture is better/easier.
Maybe that's wrong.

BossChief
05-10-2010, 11:20 AM
Why don't you want to use a directv hddvr? What are your plans? Take over the world?

patteeu
05-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Asus m4a78 pro Motherboard
AMG Phenom 2 x 4 945 Overclocked at 3.25Ghz
450w Power
Nvidia 7900 GS
PNY 4 x 1 gig DDR2
Samsung DVD RW (Going to upgrade this to a BR soon)
Running XP right now but going to go to Win 7, andupgrade to 8gigs of ram.

Am I forgetting something?

Are you going to have significant internal HD storage (and if so are you going to use the onboard RAID controller) or are you going to rely on externals?

BTW, what was your main reason for building an HTPC? My main reason is because I want an over-the-air PVR capability (I don't have cable or satelite) and I don't want to pay a TIVO subscription. My secondary reason is to be the home to my fairly large collection of digital music (~250 Gbytes).

beach tribe
05-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Why don't you want to use a directv hddvr? What are your plans? Take over the world?

Will they allow me to store the games on an ext. HD? I have CS3 I want to be able to edit the videos with my software.

beach tribe
05-10-2010, 11:26 AM
Are you going to have significant internal HD storage (and if so are you going to use the onboard RAID controller) or are you going to rely on externals?

I want to use my EXT. HDD. It is 500 Gigs, and I have 2 of them.

Count Zarth
05-10-2010, 11:27 AM
If you want to capture in HD resolutions (1280x720, 1920x1080) I can't help you, beyond recommending a $200 box. (http://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-1212-Definition-Personal-Recorder/dp/B0018LX0DY)

If you want to capture in DVD resolution (768x432, it's widescreen because you're capping from an HD source I presume), and you have a laptop with an expresscard slot, this little baby is awesome.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=off&gbv=2&q=avermedia+expresscard&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=12795518544365582541&ei=K0HoS_67J5S2No2l6dEE&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CC4Q8wIwAw#ps-sellers

http://i.imgur.com/Jy4go.jpg (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1174)

Both devices simply connect to the back of your Tivo (or whatever is hooked up to your TV). The box connects via component, the card through S-video.

Count Zarth
05-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Oh, and I would not use an external hard drive for capping. USB drives are notorious for glitching once an hour or so, and if Windows suddenly loses track of the drive while you're capping, you just created a headache for yourself.

Fortunately 100GB is plenty if you're capping at DVD resolution.

DaFace
05-10-2010, 11:32 AM
Just to clarify, are you wanting to essentially REPLACE your DirecTV receiver? I'm not sure that's possible. You'd probably still want to have a DTV DVR, but then just have a video in card for your computer to capture video that you want to edit when you want to.

beach tribe
05-10-2010, 11:35 AM
Oh, and I would not use an external hard drive for capping. USB drives are notorious for glitching once an hour or so, and if Windows suddenly loses track of the drive while you're capping, you just created a headache for yourself.

Fortunately 100GB is plenty if you're capping at DVD resolution.

Thanks bro.

I thought about going with the DVD res. but don't want to upgrade later.

I'm going to want to capture HD content, so I want go ahead, and get the Hardware I need now, even if it means I need some kind of box, buit would prefer internal junk.

beach tribe
05-10-2010, 11:37 AM
Just to clarify, are you wanting to essentially REPLACE your DirecTV receiver? I'm not sure that's possible. You'd probably still want to have a DTV DVR, but then just have a video in card for your computer to capture video that you want to edit when you want to.

Nah, I'm switching to Direct TV. Don't really mind having the receiver, I just don't want their DVR. I want to create my own.

Count Zarth
05-10-2010, 11:40 AM
Thanks bro.

I thought about going with the DVD res. but don't want to upgrade later.

I'm going to want to capture HD content, so I want go ahead, and get the Hardware I need now, even if it means I need some kind of box, buit would prefer internal junk.

Well the advantage of that box is you can use it with a laptop.

If you don't mind having a full PC setup next to your TV, more power to you.

If so, you can pop this baby in and it will dump HD content to your hard drive (and again I would use an internal drive):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815100049&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Video+Devices+++TV+Tuners-_-AVerMedia-_-15100049

Keep in mind the system requirements that come with that card.

DaFace
05-10-2010, 11:41 AM
Nah, I'm switching to Direct TV. Don't really mind having the receiver, I just don't want their DVR. I want to create my own.

I guess the issue, as I see it, is that you won't be able to do things like schedule recordings without having their DVR. Since the receiver will be controlling the channel, you'll have to manually be there for virtually every recording you do.

If I were you, I'd get a full-blown DVR setup from DirecTV, but just use your computer to record programs that you want to edit later on.

Count Zarth
05-10-2010, 11:45 AM
By the way, whatever you end up doing, I recommend this program for interfacing with your capture device:

http://virtualvcr.sourceforge.net/

Count Zarth
05-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Will they allow me to store the games on an ext. HD? I have CS3 I want to be able to edit the videos with my software.

So are you going to be making videos? :D:D

beach tribe
05-10-2010, 12:09 PM
So are you going to be making videos? :D:D

Yeah. I've been doing a ton of it at work. I'm getting pretty good at it, and enjoy it. I want to try my hand with some Chiefs footage. I'm really looking forward to it, but have to get the whole capture thing down first.

beach tribe
05-10-2010, 12:13 PM
I guess the issue, as I see it, is that you won't be able to do things like schedule recordings without having their DVR. Since the receiver will be controlling the channel, you'll have to manually be there for virtually every recording you do.

If I were you, I'd get a full-blown DVR setup from DirecTV, but just use your computer to record programs that you want to edit later on.

Can I get the content off of the DTV DVR once it is on there?

I want to archive every Chiefs game from this season forward, so I can watch the progression of the Pioli era. I want Eric Berry's entire career. And I want to do some GoChiefsish style video making/editing. I've been working with CS3 for about a year now, and I'm ready to have some fun with it.

Count Zarth
05-10-2010, 12:15 PM
Awesome, I look forward to it.

Can I get the content off of the DTV DVR once it is on there?

Yeah, that's what I do.

My DVR has an S-video port sitting unused, so that hooks right up to my card.

It's not like copying a file, though. You have to play back the recording and dump it to your PC while it's playing. So I've always done it live, otherwise it'd be like watching the game twice.

You will also need a sound card with a line-in port to capture the audio.

beach tribe
05-10-2010, 12:34 PM
Awesome, I look forward to it.

Yeah, that's what I do.

My DVR has an S-video port sitting unused, so that hooks right up to my card.

It's not like copying a file, though. You have to play back the recording and dump it to your PC while it's playing. So I've always done it live, otherwise it'd be like watching the game twice.

You will also need a sound card with a line-in port to capture the audio.

Hey thanks man. You are going to be an invaluable resource for me if you don't mind throwing me some knowledge every now and then.

Count Zarth
05-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Hey thanks man. You are going to be an invaluable resource for me if you don't mind throwing me some knowledge every now and then.

Not at all....I welcome someone else's creative spark.

AustinChief
05-10-2010, 12:51 PM
You may also want to check out the blackmagic cards... here is one that is probably WAY more than you need... but they also make prosumer models...

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/decklinkhdextreme/

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/images/products/decklinkhdextreme/hero-smokey.jpg

beach tribe
05-10-2010, 12:51 PM
So I just need to get the Direct TV DVR, and use it to put my videos onto my HD, and use CS3 from there?

beach tribe
05-10-2010, 12:52 PM
You may also want to check out the blackmagic cards... here is one that is probably WAY more than you need... but they also make prosumer models...

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/decklinkhdextreme/

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/images/products/decklinkhdextreme/hero-smokey.jpg

THIS is the kind of thing I'm looking for. Only, like you said, probably not that sophisticated.

BossChief
05-10-2010, 12:55 PM
ohhh those are hdmi ports, aren't they?

very nice

Count Zarth
05-10-2010, 01:00 PM
So I just need to get the Direct TV DVR, and use it to put my videos onto my HD, and use CS3 from there?

That would work.

I go DVR - svideo cable - card - laptop.

The card dumps an uncompressed file to the HD that is usually about 100GB. Then I have to encode it to 4GB or so, and that takes a few hours.

I don't know what the size of an uncompressed 720p file would be though.

THIS is the kind of thing I'm looking for. Only, like you said, probably not that sophisticated.

The card at newegg I linked is similar....but not 1000 bucks. It'll let you use HDMI anyway. If I'm not mistaken most DVRs come with dual HDMI out so you could have one going to your TV, one to your PC.

beach tribe
05-10-2010, 01:02 PM
That would work.

I go DVR - svideo cable - card - laptop.

The card dumps an uncompressed file to the HD that is usually about 100GB. Then I have to encode it to 4GB or so, and that takes a few hours.

I don't know what the size of an uncompressed 720p file would be though.

I think for just the regular editing this would be fine, but I want my archived games to be stored in HD.

AustinChief
05-10-2010, 01:13 PM
That would work.

The card at newegg I linked is similar....but not 1000 bucks. It'll let you use HDMI anyway. If I'm not mistaken most DVRs come with dual HDMI out so you could have one going to your TV, one to your PC.

I would recommend going with a company that deals in the PRO video space like Blackmagic or Matrox and spending an extra $100 (for their lower end cards).

I would also do the same regarding software... choose an Adobe or Avid "consumer" system ... that way you have a true upgrade path if you need to later.

Count Zarth
05-10-2010, 01:19 PM
I think for just the regular editing this would be fine, but I want my archived games to be stored in HD.

If you cap in HD it's just a matter of adding a resize filter to make the video smaller for whatever purpose you may need.

Youtube allows HD uploads now so honestly, if I could cap in HD I wouldn't bother with any other formats.

If the Chiefs actually GET GOOD I will invest in an HD capture card....it'd be nice if they came out with an expresscard solution, because I like using my laptop.

EDIT - Hmmmmmmmm, this looks interesting. EDIT - Meh, it's not HD.

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/videorecorder/

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/images/products/videorecorder/hero-smokey.jpg

beach tribe
05-10-2010, 01:30 PM
I would recommend going with a company that deals in the PRO video space like Blackmagic or Matrox and spending an extra $100 (for their lower end cards).

I would also do the same regarding software... choose an Adobe or Avid "consumer" system ... that way you have a true upgrade path if you need to later.

Yeah, I think I'm going to take a similar route to this. Here's what I'm looking at.

People seem to think that this company makes the best ones.
http://reviews.cnet.com/tv-tuner-adapters/hauppauge-wintv-hd-pci/4505-9332_7-4621562.html

Not this particular card, just the company that makes it. I could be wrong. i need to do more research.

I'm checking out the Blackmagic stuff right now.
Thanks for all the help guys. Any more info is greatly appreciated as well.

AustinChief
05-10-2010, 01:32 PM
If you cap in HD it's just a matter of adding a resize filter to make the video smaller for whatever purpose you may need.

Youtube allows HD uploads now so honestly, if I could cap in HD I wouldn't bother with any other formats.

If the Chiefs actually GET GOOD I will invest in an HD capture card....it'd be nice if they came out with an expresscard solution, because I like using my laptop.

If you want to do HD over USB... you will have to have a USB 3 port... USB 2 can't handle it.

beach tribe
05-10-2010, 01:34 PM
I have to ask again, am I not going to have any trouble capturing a DTV signal with something like this?

Count Zarth
05-10-2010, 01:35 PM
Yeah, I think I'm going to take a similar route to this. Here's what I'm looking at.

http://reviews.cnet.com/tv-tuner-adapters/hauppauge-wintv-hd-pci/4505-9332_7-4621562.html

Not this particular card, just the company that makes it. I could be wrong. i need to do more research.

You might want to check out this forum. These are my NFL pirate buddies. :D

http://forums.tenyardtorrents.com/viewforum.php?id=107

Count Zarth
05-10-2010, 01:37 PM
I have to ask again, am I not going to have any trouble capturing a DTV signal with something like this?

You're piping the signal directly from the box to your PC, right?

If so, no problem at all. It's just like piping it to a TV.

AustinChief
05-10-2010, 01:38 PM

Hauppage is STRICTLY consumer, no actual pro would use them. They are TV on your PC .. they are NOT true video import/edit/encoding.

beach tribe
05-10-2010, 01:40 PM
Hauppage is STRICTLY consumer, no actual pro would use them. They are TV on your PC .. they are NOT true video import/edit/encoding.

Cool. Thanks.

I'm really glad I came to you guys with this, because that's what I would have ended up with, but I have to wonder will I truly need a pro program to pull off quality HD?

Count Zarth
05-10-2010, 01:42 PM
I have to wonder will I truly need a pro program to pull off quality HD?

No. I download enough stuff captured by guys who use Happauge. It's quality.

Count Zarth
05-10-2010, 01:51 PM
Via Happauge HD PVR 1212

http://i.imgur.com/bkll7.jpg (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1174)

AustinChief
05-10-2010, 01:51 PM
No. I download enough stuff captured by guys who use Happauge. It's quality.

Meh. Not really, I have an HD Hauppage card and I'm not that impressed. I have worked with professional post houses quite a bit and it does make a difference... especially when it comes to the speed of encoding and such.

I don't think he needs a $1000+ card... but the low end $200 cards from PRO companies are worth it.

beach tribe
05-10-2010, 04:41 PM
Meh. Not really, I have an HD Hauppage card and I'm not that impressed. I have worked with professional post houses quite a bit and it does make a difference... especially when it comes to the speed of encoding and such.

I don't think he needs a $1000+ card... but the low end $200 cards from PRO companies are worth it.

That's about what I plan to spend.

That's a pretty good looking Image GC.
I'm going to be re-watching all of my games on a 51", so I pretty much have to go with some level of HD though.

I'm psyched about all of this. This Phenom 2x4 is OCed at 3.5Ghz now. This thing is blazing. I can't believe they only run about $150. The on board sound on this MB is amazing as well. This is my first build, and I'm really happy with it. I've only got $430 in it so far.
I really can't wait to hit some KC games with Flash. I've never used it for anything except job related projects so far. I'm pretty confident I can put together decent videos. I've got quite a few ideas in my head. A lot of it inspired by GC stuff. Can't wait.

beach tribe
05-10-2010, 04:47 PM

BTW, what was your main reason for building an HTPC? My main reason is because I want an over-the-air PVR capability (I don't have cable or satelite) and I don't want to pay a TIVO subscription. My secondary reason is to be the home to my fairly large collection of digital music (~250 Gbytes).

I'm moving into a new house middle of June. I want one system running everything. Blue Ray, music, football, and also recording my own music with ACID studio. I want to get my guitar, and vocals down, and lay some bass, and drum loops in behind it.
But what I'm really looking forward to is being able to review games. Watch the Pioli era unfold. And of course the video editing, gif making that I will be doing remotely from my laptop.

patteeu
05-10-2010, 04:48 PM
I really can't wait to hit some KC games with Flash. I've never used it for anything except job related projects so far. I'm pretty confident I can put together decent videos. I've got quite a few ideas in my head. A lot of it inspired by GC stuff. Can't wait.

Uh oh. Haven't you heard that Flash is dead? I read on CP that the ipad killed it or something. :)

CarlPeterson_fan
05-10-2010, 05:13 PM

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/images/products/videorecorder/hero-smokey.jpg

Are you sure its not HD . Red, Green and Blue indicate Component cable, while only carrying 720p, it would be HD. and I am pretty sure that Directv ix only 720p anyway

beach tribe
05-10-2010, 05:29 PM
Are you sure its not HD . Red, Green and Blue indicate Component cable, while only carrying 720p, it would be HD. and I am pretty sure that Directv ix only 720p anyway

Direct TV is 1080. Don't worry Carl, you should be used to being wrong by now.

Count Zarth
05-10-2010, 08:31 PM

Quite positive. Look at the specs.

Count Zarth
05-10-2010, 08:45 PM
That's a pretty good looking Image GC.

It's compressed, too, that file was only 2.5 GB.

At 8 GB or so it would look even better.

Anyway, if you get a setup up and running I will be interested, because I eventually want to cap in HD myself. If you make me jealous I will have to upgrade. :D

Pawnmower
05-10-2010, 10:44 PM
Via Happauge HD PVR 1212

http://i.imgur.com/bkll7.jpg (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1174)

That looks awesome....You guys making me want to try my hand at some shit

ChiefButthurt
05-11-2010, 04:55 AM
This thread is making my head hurt...it's too early in the morning.

dirk digler
05-11-2010, 06:29 AM

I don't think that is possible. You will need their HD DVR or Tuner of course with subscribing to HD service. If you don't live in the KC area you will also need ST + SuperFan package.

I was looking into just to be able to watch HD content on my PC and I think gochiefs is right the Hauppauge HD-PVR is the only thing that will work with HD. I almost bought a PC HD tuner card for my PC but then realized they will only work for OTA connections.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1159073

beach tribe
05-11-2010, 10:38 AM
This looks promising.

Forgive me if someone has already posted this.
http://www.amd.com/us/products/pctv/all-in-wonder-cards/Pages/all-in-wonder-cards.aspx

Count Zarth
05-11-2010, 02:52 PM
I used an older model of the All-In-Wonder when I capped using a desktop PC. Good product.

Edit - wait a second, there is no input there for what you want to do. It has an HDMI output, not an input. You could not use that with your satellite/cable box.

Edit 2 - OK, my mistake. The daughter card provided appears to give you the PVR functionality you're looking for. I haven't seen this kind of setup before.

beach tribe
05-11-2010, 06:10 PM
I used an older model of the All-In-Wonder when I capped using a desktop PC. Good product.

Edit - wait a second, there is no input there for what you want to do. It has an HDMI output, not an input. You could not use that with your satellite/cable box.

Edit 2 - OK, my mistake. The daughter card provided appears to give you the PVR functionality you're looking for. I haven't seen this kind of setup before.

So I believe this is what I'm going for unless someone can give me some info that would sway me otherwise.

AustinChief, Daface? You guys know anything about this?
Am I making a mistake?

DaFace
05-11-2010, 06:46 PM
So I believe this is what I'm going for unless someone can give me some info that would sway me otherwise.

AustinChief, Daface? You guys know anything about this?
Am I making a mistake?

I'm a little concerned about the specific inputs that you'll be able to use with that one. They definitely don't make it clear at all, but from what I can tell, the HDMI port on the card is an output only (as GoChiefs mentioned). The daughter card seems to have component cable inputs, which would work, but it wouldn't be as clean as a true HDMI input.

That said, I just looked at the back of my DirecTV receiver, and it's only got one HDMI output port anyway, so you may not have any choice but to run HDMI to your TV and component to your computer (or vice versa), so maybe it's not a big deal. If that's the plan, this card would work fine from what I can tell.

Count Zarth
05-11-2010, 06:58 PM
Make sure your motherboard supports PCI-E.

DRU
05-12-2010, 01:03 AM

Some capture software comes with infrared cables that go from the card to the cable/sat box. This allows the software to handle changing the channel for you so you can set recordings and use it as a true DVR without worrying about being there to change the channel yourself.

The down-side is sometimes these softwares don't allow you as much ease in converting the video to Divx/Xvid/H264 or whatever you end up using. It can be done but it's not always as easy.

That said, I haven't even messed with this stuff in awhile so it may be a lot easier now than it used to be.

Baby Lee
05-12-2010, 05:04 AM

Component is not limited by tech to 720p, it CAN be limited by DRM to 720p because it's an analog output, but it is capable of 1080p.