PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Training Camp to Western pointman re-assigned due to DWI

OnTheWarpath58
05-11-2010, 09:02 AM
http://www.newspressnow.com/news/2010/may/11/western-athletic-director-reassigned/

A weekend arrest embroiled Missouri Western State University’s athletics department with uncertainty and led to at least a temporary shake-up in leadership.

The university announced Monday that athletic director Dave Williams was reassigned following a drunken driving arrest early Saturday. Dan Nicoson, Western’s vice president for university advancement, was named the interim athletic director, while Mr. Williams will “manage certain athletic projects,” according to a university press release.

Mr. Williams is a high-profile member of Western’s leadership team who has been the point person in bringing the Kansas City Chiefs’ summer training camp to the St. Joseph campus. He’s led negotiations with the Chiefs, been the chief person responsible for operations planning for the nearly monthlong event, and overseen the construction of a new, $10 million indoor practice facility and other infrastructure improvements.

He was arrested at about 1 a.m. Saturday in rural Buchanan County, according to the probable cause statement. The arresting officer said he pulled Mr. Williams over after noticing him drive off the shoulder of the road then weave back and forth across the center line.

Mr. Williams failed four out of five field sobriety tests and refused a portable Breathalyzer test at the scene. However, court records said Mr. Williams about an hour later gave a voluntary breath sample at the Buchanan County Law Enforcement Center and had a blood-alcohol concentration of .183, which is more than twice the legal limit of .08. Mr. Williams was charged with a Class B misdemeanor for driving while intoxicated and is scheduled to be arraigned at 8:30 a.m. today.

The car Mr. Williams was driving was not his own but the report didn’t identify the owner.

Mr. Williams did not return messages left by the News-Press on his mobile phone.

“I am deeply sorry for my actions,” Mr. Williams said in a statement provided by the university. “I have let down many people, starting with my wife and family ... This will not happen again.”

Mr. Nicoson said Mr. Williams’ specific duties haven’t been determined.

“I would anticipate that Dave will continue to have a role in getting ready for the Chiefs camp,” Mr. Nicoson said. “He has so much knowledge and has been working with them so well ...”

Mr. Nicoson said Western President Dr. Robert Vartabedian spoke with Chiefs officials on Monday.

“The Chiefs know (Williams) is knowledgeable,” Mr. Nicoson said. “He and I can work together with the Chiefs and be right on schedule.”

Mr. Williams attended on-campus meetings Monday and will be involved this week with interviewing candidates for a new athletics facility management position.

“But I suspect that a lot of his project work will be done at home for a while,” Mr. Nicoson said.

Mr. Nicoson wouldn’t comment on whether the action would affect the salary of Mr. Williams, who earns about $98,800 plus other compensation benefits. It’s expected that Mr. Williams will resume his full duties as athletic director at some point in the future, Nicoson said.

“We hope this can work through to a positive outcome,” Mr. Nicoson said. “The best-case scenario is reinstatement at some point in time. I don’t think any of us want to permanently brand somebody from one slip.”

Mr. Nicoson offered no timetable for resolving the situation. He said Dr. Vartabedian will make the final determination on Mr. Williams’ reinstatement.

“We’re going to wait and see what all the facts are. It doesn’t mean we’re going out and conducting an aggressive (investigation) as if we think we’re detectives,” Mr. Nicoson said. “We’re going to observe more than anything else what the final outcomes are legally and what Dave does to work with us to move the situation forward in this interim period.”

In the meantime, Mr. Nicoson will assume day-to-day administrative and leadership duties for the athletic department.

“I think the important thing here is to decide what’s right for Missouri Western and what’s fair for everyone else involved,” Mr. Nicoson said. “We take anything like this seriously.”

Fish
05-11-2010, 09:48 AM
Ooooops............

Demonpenz
05-11-2010, 10:39 AM
take woodbine!

COchief
05-11-2010, 10:57 AM
Title thread sense make does not much

Reaper16
05-11-2010, 11:11 AM
Yeah this is about the worst thread title I've seen in a long time.

Pablo
05-11-2010, 04:25 PM
take woodbine!Gotta watch the dip by Cablevision though. Messanie. Cops hide there.

Maybe DaFace could change the title to read something like: Western AD; Pointman for Chiefs Training Camp gets DWI.

milkman
05-12-2010, 11:22 AM
He's going to hold out on his next contract negotiation, and wil be traded to Minnesota State University.

I believe that's the fictional college that Hayden Fry coached football, isn't it?

Reaper16
05-12-2010, 12:22 PM
He's going to hold out on his next contract negotiation, and wil be traded to Minnesota State University.

I believe that's the fictional college that Hayden Fry coached football, isn't it?
That isn't a fictional university. It is a real university with two campuses: Minnesota State - Mankato and Minnesota State - Moorhead.

Pitt Gorilla
05-12-2010, 01:01 PM

I believe that's the fictional college that Hayden Fry coached football, isn't it?Dammit, beat me to it.

milkman
05-12-2010, 01:08 PM
That isn't a fictional university. It is a real university with two campuses: Minnesota State - Mankato and Minnesota State - Moorhead.

Well, I got the coach's name wrong too.

Hayden Fox, and the Minnesota State Screaming Eagles.