PDA

View Full Version : Life Chicago, Where to stay??

petegz28
05-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Planning a weekend trip to Chi-town for the Mrs. and I. This will be the first time I have had to actually pay for my own hotel there. So, any recommendations on where to stay that is close to the fun but not rough on the pocketbook?

Chiefs Rool
05-11-2010, 11:03 AM
stay downtown so you can just walk to places, last time I was there I stayed at the Hyatt and it was pretty nice

petegz28
05-11-2010, 11:08 AM
stay downtown so you can just walk to places, last time I was there I stayed at the Hyatt and it was pretty nice

That's where I stayed last time but JFC it was expensive.

NIUhuskies
05-11-2010, 11:08 AM
Palmer House Hilton is reallly nice, im a big fan. Its right by the Italian Village which is an AWESOME restaurant, and also a short walk to Millennium Park, downtown and Lake Michigan. You can get good rates there on hotwire.com

http://www1.hilton.com/ts/en_US/hotels/content/CHIPHHH/media/images/photo_gallery/CHIPHHH_The_Palmer_House_Hilton_home_right.jpg

CoMoChief
05-11-2010, 11:12 AM
I strongly suggest the southwestern part of town.

petegz28
05-11-2010, 11:18 AM
I strongly suggest the southwestern part of town.

Thanks, but I want to survive the trip. South Chicago is not one of my more favorite places.

HemiEd
05-11-2010, 11:21 AM
Thanks, but I want to survive the trip. South Chicago is not one of my more favorite places.

If you want to stay downtown, and be safe, it is going to be expensive. This is why they are losing so many trade shows.

CoMoChief
05-11-2010, 11:23 AM

I don't blame ya ;)

siberian khatru
05-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Frazod's place. Just don't make any noise in the kitchen at night.

KevB
05-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Wife and I stayed at the Four Points Sheraton downtown. It was very nice, but not so nice that you have to take out a 2nd mortgage to stay a couple of nights. It's probably around $200/night, and it's one block from Michigan Ave. It gets very good reviews on TripAdvisor as well.

CoMoChief
05-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Frazod's place. Just don't make any noise in the kitchen at night.

and don't touch his world of warcraft figurine dolls or comic books.

BWillie
05-11-2010, 11:32 AM
If you want to stay downtown, and be safe, it is going to be expensive. This is why they are losing so many trade shows.

It cost me $70 a day to park down by the Magnificent Mile

WTF?

DeezNutz
05-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Post #4 closed the thread.

gblowfish
05-11-2010, 11:34 AM
I've stayed in the Palmer House, and the Downtown Hyatt before. Palmer House is a very cool historic hotel. I've stayed at the Congress near Lincoln Park before too.

There's a couple of nice smaller hotels on Rush Street too.

Chiefs Rool
05-11-2010, 11:34 AM
That's where I stayed last time but JFC it was expensive.

really? it was about $100 per night when I went and I split that with 2 friends, so it was cheap for me :D

gblowfish
05-11-2010, 11:38 AM
Just stay away from North Halstead Street in August, unless you're into the alternative lifestyle thing, nttawwt.....

http://www.northalsted.com/pages/northalsted_market_days_/29.php

Simply Red
05-11-2010, 11:38 AM
Cabrini Green

HemiEd
05-11-2010, 11:39 AM

WTF?Yep, it is crazy. I met Nzoner downtown for a couple (ok, more than a couple) brews a week ago. It cost me a $90 cab ride to get home. :D

DMAC
05-11-2010, 11:40 AM
The Hilton wasnt too bad. I believe it was on S. Wacker...or E. Wacker...or N. Wacker...or W. Wacker...or W. Upper Wacker...or W. Lower Wacker...

LaChapelle
05-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Going to worship the home of the Obama presidency
take chapstick

BigRedChief
05-11-2010, 11:42 AM
Check my thread out about going to Chicago back in March. Lots of good information in there from many planeteers:
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=222682

BigRedChief
05-11-2010, 11:43 AM

WTF?Screw that, take the trains/buses. Works great. Theres no parking and if you can find it, its pay through the nose prices.

phisherman
05-11-2010, 11:44 AM
Sutton Place Hotel ftw

Sfeihc
05-11-2010, 11:52 AM
To reinforce post #4 and NIU use hotwire. Always trust guys from the MAC. Two great rules of life in one post.

phisherman
05-11-2010, 12:03 PM
i've never heard of Caprini Green, but I have heard of Cabrini Green.

petegz28
05-11-2010, 12:07 PM
Sutton Place Hotel ftw

Dude, that place is cheap. WTF? Is there a catch I'm missing?

petegz28
05-11-2010, 12:08 PM

I stayed there once. Too noisey.

Simply Red
05-11-2010, 12:09 PM

WOW, watched CandyMan last night, botched the spelling - Don't I feel like the dumbass.

vailpass
05-11-2010, 12:10 PM
Palmer House

Chiefs Rool
05-11-2010, 12:11 PM
I'll tell ya that I had a very bad experience with hotels.com and a certain Howard Johnson hotel that I won't do business with either one ever again.

Frazod
05-11-2010, 12:13 PM
and don't touch his world of warcraft figurine dolls or comic books.

Wrong as usual, fucktard.

But if Pete is stuck for a place to stay, maybe you could tow your trailer up here for him.

petegz28
05-11-2010, 12:14 PM
Wrong as usual, ****tard.

But if Pete is stuck for a place to stay, maybe you could tow your trailer up here for him.

So you don't have WoW figurines??? I'm disappointed now.

Frazod
05-11-2010, 12:15 PM
So you don't have WoW figurines??? I'm disappointed now.

Sorry, you'll have to bring your own. All I've got is a George Brett bobblehead.

RJ
05-11-2010, 12:17 PM
Cabrini Green

Any nearby restaurants you'd recommend?

Frazod
05-11-2010, 12:22 PM
Yep, it is crazy. I met Nzoner downtown for a couple (ok, more than a couple) brews a week ago. It cost me a $90 cab ride to get home. :D

You understand now why I didn't want to drive in that shit, don't you? All that aggravation, and on top of it I would have had to stay sober. Fuck that.

Simply Red
05-11-2010, 12:30 PM
Any nearby restaurants you'd recommend?

not if you want to keep your spleen. ;)

HemiEd
05-11-2010, 12:35 PM
You understand now why I didn't want to drive in that shit, don't you? All that aggravation, and on top of it I would have had to stay sober. **** that.
It was actually worth it, we had a great time. The only reason I had to take a cab, I was too hammered to read my train schedule. :D I got on a train and couldn't even figure out where it was going, so I jumped off and grabbed a cab.

Frazod
05-11-2010, 12:42 PM
It was actually worth it, we had a great time. The only reason I had to take a cab, I was too hammered to read my train schedule. :D I got on a train and couldn't even figure out where it was going, so I jumped off and grabbed a cab.

You would have probably passed out and woke up in Elgin. That would have really sucked. My neighbor got plowed downtown once and slept past our stop - her husband had to go pick her up in Aurora at 2:00 a.m. on a weeknight. He was NOT amused. LMAO

Sorry I missed you guys, though. Let's reconvene at Joe's house - less traffic and free parking!

phisherman
05-11-2010, 12:48 PM
Dude, that place is cheap. WTF? Is there a catch I'm missing?

No catch. It's a great place right down on the Miracle Mile.

Great views. The wife and I stayed there for a NYE a few years back and we loved it.

HemiEd
05-11-2010, 01:07 PM
You would have probably passed out and woke up in Elgin. That would have really sucked. My neighbor got plowed downtown once and slept past our stop - her husband had to go pick her up in Aurora at 2:00 a.m. on a weeknight. He was NOT amused. LMAO

Sorry I missed you guys, though. Let's reconvene at Joe's house - less traffic and free parking!

I think I would have been fine, if they would have had bigger print on that train schedule, so a bleary eyed person could actually read it.

Of course, I asked enough guys around me for help, that I think they were going to mug my ass, at the stop they said I should get off at. So, I jumped off ahead of that, at a busy street that had cabs.

That cabbie had never been out in this neck of the woods before.

tooge
05-11-2010, 01:09 PM
we go every year and stay at the Inn of Chicago about a block off Michigan Ave in the middle of the miracle mile. It is usually around $150 per night and it's a nice room. 1 block from ESPN sportszone.

Frazod
05-11-2010, 01:10 PM
I think I would have been fine, if they would have had bigger print on that train schedule, so a bleary eyed person could actually read it.

Of course, I asked enough guys around me for help, that I think they were going to mug my ass, at the stop they said I should get off at. So, I jumped off ahead of that, at a busy street that had cabs.

That cabbie had never been out in this neck of the woods before.

Sounds like a real adventure. :D

HemiEd
05-11-2010, 01:19 PM
Sounds like a real adventure. :D

It really was, as it was probably the first time EVAR that I knew I was going to get plastered, premeditated.
In fact, I had a buddy drop me off down there @ John Barleycorn's and we had gotten a pretty good head start.
Sorry you missed it, we had a lot of fun.

Like you said, we can get together at Joe's for the bash.

RJ
05-11-2010, 01:21 PM
not if you want to keep your spleen. ;)

I love my spleen. I've had it for as long as I can remember.

Frazod
05-11-2010, 01:23 PM
It really was, as it was probably the first time EVAR that I knew I was going to get plastered, premeditated.
In fact, I had a buddy drop me off down there @ John Barleycorn's and we had gotten a pretty good head start.
Sorry you missed it, we had a lot of fun.

Like you said, we can get together at Joe's for the bash.

The only way I could have done it would have been to drive, and driving in that mess would have sucked. And let's just say I'm not exactly the most pleasant person in the world when I've been stuck in city traffic for a couple of hours, especially when I know it's all because of a bunch of retarded-ass Cub fans.

I moved 35 miles away from Chicago for a reason.

HemiEd
05-11-2010, 01:25 PM
let's just say I'm not exactly the most pleasant person in the world when I've been stuck in city traffic for a couple of hours,

This surprises me! :)

I prefer not to drive down there myself, in fact, I prefer not to go down there at all.

Frazod
05-11-2010, 01:38 PM
This surprises me! :)

I prefer not to drive down there myself, in fact, I prefer not to go down there at all.

Amen, brother.

I generally don't come down here unless there's a paycheck in it for me.

Hoover
05-11-2010, 01:59 PM
I stay at the Intercontinental.

The locations is the best. Middle of Michigan Avenue and you can tack lower Whacker and drive right to the parking ramp.

Hoover
05-11-2010, 02:01 PM
http://www.icchicagohotel.com/

Hoover
05-11-2010, 02:07 PM
The Sutton Place Hotel is not close to much IMO. Kind of in no man's land if you ask me. I know that's odd to say when you are in Downtown Chicago, but I'd rather stan on the Mile.

phisherman
05-11-2010, 03:16 PM
Sutton Place is right off of Michigan Avenue on Bellevue. Not far from anything relatively speaking.

Mosbonian
05-11-2010, 04:09 PM
I stay at the Intercontinental.

The locations is the best. Middle of Michigan Avenue and you can tack lower Whacker and drive right to the parking ramp.

The InterContinental is great...stayed there all the time for the Housewares show every year.

Very surprised that no one has mentioned The Drake...unless it's gone downhill pretty bad over the last couple of years it's nice to stay at.

mmaddog

dirk digler
05-11-2010, 05:28 PM
We are planning to go to Chicago in mid June and was looking for hotels. I saw that the Wyndham on hotels.com had a pretty good price and good reviews.

mikeyis4dcats.
05-11-2010, 06:42 PM
Club Quarters on Wacker is an executive hotel. Rooms are kind of small, but great location, clean, and can be had pretty cheaply. We got it on Priceline for under $80 a night a couple of years ago in June. Chicago much like Vegas is a place where if you're doing it right, you aren't in your room except to sleep.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g35805-d1477545-Reviews-Club_Quarters_Chicago_Wacker_at_Michigan-Chicago_Illinois.html

BWillie
05-11-2010, 06:43 PM
Planning a weekend trip to Chi-town for the Mrs. and I. This will be the first time I have had to actually pay for my own hotel there. So, any recommendations on where to stay that is close to the fun but not rough on the pocketbook?

You should stay w/ Hooties mom.

SLAG
05-11-2010, 08:11 PM
last time we went we stayed at the swissotel - it was pretty nice