PDA

View Full Version : ChiefsPlanet EVERYONE PLEASE READ! Server Upgrades(put suggestions here) & State of the Planet...

AustinChief
05-12-2010, 08:56 PM
ok, it's that time once again... time to upgrade the server and also move to the next generation of VB software.

The new version is pretty slick...

So, first I need to look at hardware/bandwidth upgrades (where needed).
Second, I'll be upgrading the core server software.
Third, I'm going to upgrade the BBS software.
Fourth and fifth are optional and I'd like your feedback...

The new software can also be purchased (at significantly higher rates) with an included Publishing Suite... what this would allow us to do is seamlessly publish articles and (this is the COOLEST FEATURE) allow users to have their own individual Chiefsplanet blogs.

The final upgrade will be a minor tie-in to another NFL site that has yet to launch... but should be ready by training camp. We will get first crack at beta testing it and the site (like us) will be 100% free and mostly ad free as well. I can't tell more on this yet but I am sure it's gonna be pretty damn cool.

So lastly... if anyone want to throw in a donation (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/misc.php?do=donate) now is a great time to do so as the expense for this is not going to be fun.

I'll be taking a few days off here and there to make sure this is all done before training camp... and as each upgrade takes place, I'll keep everyone in the loop.

Let me know what you guys think about the articles/blogs part... if people will USE it, I am absolutely on board with buying the full suite.

Buck
05-12-2010, 08:57 PM
I'll hit you up with a donation, but I cant until late June.

BossChief
05-12-2010, 09:01 PM
I'm gonna totally sound like a computer nOOb here, but whats the difference between a blog and what we do here?

Buck
05-12-2010, 09:04 PM
I'm gonna totally sound like a computer nOOb here, but whats the difference between a blog and what we do here?

http://www.lymanite.com/images/warcraft/orly_owls/i/large/STFU%20NOOB.jpg

DaKCMan AP
05-12-2010, 09:04 PM
The people of the Planet want a 'DaKCMan is Awesome' blog because they know it would be Awesome, naturally.

Gonzo
05-12-2010, 09:06 PM
I have no idea what you just said, A.C. but Lumpy and I will chip in again this year to help out. I'll refer to the experts on here for their input on the new software. It sounds cool, (I think).
Posted via Mobile Device

Bane
05-12-2010, 09:09 PM
I'm in for a donation after the weekend.Sounds like a nice upgrade.

keg in kc
05-12-2010, 09:10 PM
I think I'm running monthly recurring on my donations. I'm pretty much tapped-out for more at this point, unfortunately. It's not been a good year for work so far.

BossChief
05-12-2010, 09:10 PM
http://www.lymanite.com/images/warcraft/orly_owls/i/large/STFU%20NOOB.jpg

I bet that eagle misses mice all the time because of its square shaped left eye.

Either that or he won it in vegas playing craps and just buys his mice at petco with the other winnings.

AustinChief
05-12-2010, 09:23 PM

BBS is a collection of threads centered on different topics... blog is more user/author centered.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-12-2010, 09:26 PM
I need a little time to donate, but I'll definitely throw some money down again ASAP.

the Talking Can
05-12-2010, 09:28 PM
personally don't care about articles or blogs

just poop threads and true fans

-King-
05-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Will the "other NFL site" be an official NFL site or a 3rd party forum like this one?
Posted via Mobile Device

AustinChief
05-12-2010, 09:42 PM
Will the "other NFL site" be an official NFL site or a 3rd party forum like this one?
Posted via Mobile Device

a brand new site with a new concept, definitely not a forum.. not anything official either.

Archie F. Swin
05-12-2010, 09:45 PM
what....no chiefsplanetroulette?

Consistent1
05-12-2010, 09:47 PM
Hell, I figured the State of The Planet deal was going to reveal that the board's true membership is only 5 people with a wide array of mults. Sounds cool enough though.
Posted via Mobile Device

cdcox
05-12-2010, 09:53 PM
I think I'm running monthly recurring on my donations. I'm pretty much tapped-out for more at this point, unfortunately. It's not been a good year for work so far.

I figured you were cakin' after the "Wendy meets a draftabulator" gig. That SOB FAX.

Spicy McHaggis
05-12-2010, 09:59 PM
Sounds really cool. I'm in the middle of a move right now, so let me see what the finances look like towards the end of the month. If possible, I'll definitely send some cash your way.

Chiefs=Good
05-12-2010, 10:01 PM
I'll hit you up with a donation, but I cant until late June.

This. i think its about time i gave a little to this site, but it wont be for a couple of weeks...

"Bob" Dobbs
05-12-2010, 10:08 PM
Will the new VB offer a little bit more functionality for mobile users?

beach tribe
05-12-2010, 10:10 PM
I'm in. PM me on how how to get the dough to ya. Thanks for everything you put into this place. I'll do whatever I can to help.

KCrockaholic
05-12-2010, 10:14 PM
Sounds very cool. I love the idea of us having our own Chiefsplanet blogs.

BossChief
05-12-2010, 10:16 PM
I'm in. PM me on how how to get the dough to ya. Thanks for everything you put into this place. I'll do whatever I can to help.
green icon at the top of the page

Bacon Cheeseburger
05-12-2010, 10:25 PM
Will the new VB offer a little bit more functionality for mobile users?
No.

Now put your damn phone down and pay attention to the road.

DaFace
05-12-2010, 10:28 PM
The "blogs" thing COULD be cool, but my guess is that it's a toy that will be much less useful than we expect it to be. People will probably use it for the first few months, but chances are only a couple will want to use it in the long run.

Still, if it's not a HUGE expense, it could be worth it.

Guru
05-12-2010, 10:31 PM
Sounds like Chiefsplanet Facebook to me.

Bacon Cheeseburger
05-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Sounds like Chiefsplanet Facebook to me.
http://i43.tinypic.com/ogm1ll.jpg

luv
05-12-2010, 10:45 PM

Click on the underlined, bolded word "donation" in the OP.

Guru
05-12-2010, 10:48 PM
http://i43.tinypic.com/ogm1ll.jpg:shake:ROFL

teedubya
05-12-2010, 10:55 PM
I just threw $20 in for the cause.

Simply Red
05-12-2010, 11:06 PM
Personally, i'm going to need to sleep on this, Austin. JK, I'm going to need some time, though.

SNR
05-13-2010, 12:52 AM
Will the new software have tags?

SNR
05-13-2010, 12:54 AM
Also, I don't know if I'm a fan of the personal blogs idea. I think a lot of users will post personal threads and that's what makes this place great. You can find a lot about users without searching too hard.

I will be a fan of this if Buck promises to keep a blog going, though. I love that guy.

CrazyPhuD
05-13-2010, 12:55 AM
Will the new software have tags?

ROFL

WoodDraw
05-13-2010, 01:00 AM
Can you remind a lifelong noob the best way to donate?

CrazyPhuD
05-13-2010, 01:02 AM

I generally don't masturbate to blogs.

DaneMcCloud
05-13-2010, 01:02 AM
The people of the Planet want a 'DaKCMan is Awesome' blog because they know it would be Awesome, naturally.

You know what would be really "Awesome"?

If you threw in $20 bucks (or more) towards the upgrade.

teedubya
05-13-2010, 02:16 AM
FYI, apparently the bolded name is NOT instantaneous. lol

btlook1
05-13-2010, 02:28 AM
Donated...first time in probably 5 years or so....Can I get bold now? Great job running CP Austin Chief!!

Tribal Warfare
05-13-2010, 02:57 AM
donated, but I also believe that blogging on ChiefsPlanet is redundant since this a BB and we share our opinions in the threads we make.

AustinChief
05-13-2010, 03:17 AM
Can you remind a lifelong noob the best way to donate?Click on the underlined, bolded word "donation" in the OP.

Tribal Warfare
05-13-2010, 03:18 AM

or even $5

Fritz88
05-13-2010, 03:25 AM
Blogs sound like a great idea but I am afraid it would pull people from the actual forum.

redsurfer11
05-13-2010, 04:08 AM
ok, it's that time once again... time to upgrade the server and also move to the next generation of VB software.

The new software can also be purchased (at significantly higher rates) with an included Publishing Suite... what this would allow us to do is seamlessly publish articles and (this is the COOLEST FEATURE) allow users to have their own individual Chiefsplanet blogs.

The final upgrade will be a minor tie-in to another NFL site that has yet to launch... but should be ready by training camp. We will get first crack at beta testing it and the site (like us) will be 100% free and mostly ad free as well. I can't tell more on this yet but I am sure it's gonna be pretty damn cool.

So lastly... if anyone want to throw in a donation (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/misc.php?do=donate) now is a great time to do so as the expense for this is not going to be fun.

I'll be taking a few days off here and there to make sure this is all done before training camp... and as each upgrade takes place, I'll keep everyone in the loop.

Let me know what you guys think about the articles/blogs part... if people will USE it, I am absolutely on board with buying the full suite.

How much does it cost (Per Post) to run Chiefsplanet? Time to take a pledge (Per Post)from all members. I'll donate for every post I've made.

rad
05-13-2010, 04:40 AM

Rad likes this.

ChiefsFan4Life
05-13-2010, 04:43 AM
Blogs are not a very good idea. The purpose of a blog is to get people to read it and react to it - which is exactly what this forum does already. If someone really wanted to they could start their own "blog" in a thread and it will be bumped every week when they make a new post to "their blog" and people will have a chance to react or not.

The concept is already existing within the forums. I just don't think it's a good idea especially if it costs money.

DaKCMan AP
05-13-2010, 06:24 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I have donated in the past and will donate in the future. DaKCMan AP is Awesome like that.

Dave Lane
05-13-2010, 06:39 AM
Personally I think it's not worth paying for a blog suite. If people do blog they probably have a blog somewhere if not I doubt the start here. That being said if Rainman and Fax start a blog I'd read it.

Buehler445
05-13-2010, 07:05 AM
I'm not really a fan of blogs. I think a lot of people make blog type posts. The value CP adds is the discussion that occurs afterwords that is tough to get with a blog setup. Maybe some people want that, but I don't see the value in it. It should also be noted, however, that I tend to be pretty fiscally conservative. It could be the greatest thing evar.

Thanks for everything you do, kyle. It's time for me to send some more cash your direction.
Posted via Mobile Device

KCFalcon59
05-13-2010, 07:26 AM
Maybe we could get GAZ to come back and do his movie reviews in a blog.

RedNFeisty
05-13-2010, 07:55 AM
We could get the Women of CP together for a bikini car wash, all proceeds go to the up grade!! :D

QuikSsurfer
05-13-2010, 07:59 AM
I'll donate but no one wants to read/write personal blogs on the planet..
Need more info on the 3rd party NFL site that is about to launch... But it sounds dumb already; could just be my attitude.
Why not keep the site just a basic messageboard?

Nzoner
05-13-2010, 08:02 AM
Don't really care about the blogs and such but just sent a little donation to help out.

TrebMaxx
05-13-2010, 08:11 AM
I really don't have an opinion on the blogs. Will hit ya with a donation when I get home from work tonight.

Sofa King
05-13-2010, 08:12 AM
We could get the Women of CP together for a bikini car wash, all proceeds go to the up grade!! :D

i think i just upgraded in my pants...

CosmicPal
05-13-2010, 08:28 AM
I hope you don't mind, but I've been out of work for over a year now, so I'm tight on funds. I'd donate more if I could, but I went ahead and donated $10.00. Hope that helps.

Hopefully the ChiefsPlanet cookbook can be a rousing success and we can use proceeds from the sale of that book to help out the Planet in the future.

Lumpy
05-13-2010, 08:47 AM

Plan. :thumb: Wait! Wut?! :eek:

AustinChief
05-13-2010, 12:17 PM
I'll donate but no one wants to read/write personal blogs on the planet..
Need more info on the 3rd party NFL site that is about to launch... But it sounds dumb already; could just be my attitude.
Why not keep the site just a basic messageboard?

The 3rd party site is not going to affect our functionality at all, BUT we will be given first crack at playing around with it... I'll tell more as soon as I am cleared to do so.

Hog Farmer
05-13-2010, 02:36 PM
I don't understand why we're doing this now when the Aliens are about to stop by and take all our stuff.

Hog Farmer
05-13-2010, 02:39 PM

This sounds good but we get to have a vote on which ones are allowed to wear Bikinis.

AustinChief
05-13-2010, 03:52 PM
I don't understand why we're doing this now when the Aliens are about to stop by and take all our stuff.

You wouldn't want them taking an outdated server would you? We have to make a proper showing at least!

dirk digler
05-13-2010, 03:59 PM
Is it done yet?

KC Dan
05-13-2010, 04:42 PM
Some coming at ya, Kyle

AustinChief
05-13-2010, 06:19 PM
Some coming at ya, KyleThanks! and Thanks to everyone else as well!

AustinChief
05-13-2010, 10:09 PM
Is it done yet?
started... that's something at least...

WoodDraw
05-13-2010, 11:46 PM
Click on the underlined, bolded word "donation" in the OP.

Apparently bright neon doesn't catch my brain. Yikes

Money sent though... Cheers

AustinChief
05-14-2010, 03:09 AM
Apparently bright neon doesn't catch my brain. Yikes

Money sent though... Cheers
Thanks!

Buck's Dad
05-14-2010, 03:13 AM
Thanks!

Hey AustiChief, i used to log on here alot years ago, i forget my old name though. really love the upgrades since then. the blog thing would be cool. could a get a name change please bro? didnt mean to make it this. wanting for tagboy88.

AustinChief
05-14-2010, 03:17 AM
Hey AustiChief, i used to log on here alot years ago, i forget my old name though. really love the upgrades since then. the blog thing would be cool. could a get a name change please bro? didnt mean to make it this. wanting for tagboy88.
PM me and I'll see what we can do.

Buck's Dad
05-14-2010, 03:19 AM
PM me and I'll see what we can do.

It won't let me, I think I'm too new. Or I would've gone that route originally. I just dont want these guys to think I eat peters.

RockChalk
05-14-2010, 07:33 AM
Just put in $20. I don't post "a lot" on here, but appreciate the information and hilarity this site brings to my day. Thanks for keeping CP up and running, and more importantly, up to date with the latest in technology.

DaKCMan AP
05-14-2010, 07:36 AM
appreciate the information and hilarity this site brings to my day.

You're welcome.

AustinChief
05-14-2010, 12:30 PM
Just put in $20. I don't post "a lot" on here, but appreciate the information and hilarity this site brings to my day. Thanks for keeping CP up and running, and more importantly, up to date with the latest in technology.

Thanks!

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-14-2010, 03:07 PM
I'll throw some $$$$ your way, but I want my username changed back to "ROR".

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-14-2010, 03:07 PM
Please?

AustinChief
05-14-2010, 04:47 PM
I'll see what I can do.

AustinChief
05-14-2010, 08:54 PM

ok. Changed it. That look right?

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-15-2010, 11:19 AM
ok. Changed it. That look right?

Thank you Sir.

Prompt payment has been issued!:thumb:

mlyonsd
05-15-2010, 01:39 PM
Money sent PayPal.

Holy crap, just a few months away from my 10 yr anniversary on CP.

Mohammed
05-15-2010, 06:26 PM
Hell, I figured the State of The Planet deal was going to reveal that the board's true membership is only 5 people with a wide array of mults. Sounds cool enough though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Shhh...that's a secret.

Short Leash Hootie
05-16-2010, 01:13 AM
I will donate some $$$$...not a lot...but I can handle $30-$50 bucks or so...

AustinChief
05-16-2010, 04:10 PM
I will donate some $$$$...not a lot...but I can handle $30-$50 bucks or so...

Thanks!

AustinChief
05-17-2010, 02:12 AM

Bane
05-17-2010, 05:30 AM
I put $25 in for the cause.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-17-2010, 01:00 PM
Thanks!

When, God-willing, employment comes my way again, I will become a patron/supporter of the site and send you some $$$$ every month.

Tribal Warfare
05-17-2010, 03:05 PM
Austinchief, besides the essentials what features will you implement with the feedback you have received thus far?

ChiTown
05-17-2010, 03:21 PM

What's the price tag for the whole thing? MY apologies if this was "axed" and answered already.

AustinChief
05-17-2010, 04:44 PM
Austinchief, besides the essentials what features will you implement with the feedback you have received thus far?

Not sure yet, right now I'm still on the h/w analysis stage. I am willing to add any feature that is feasible and the masses call for.

Let's use this thread to discuss it then I will post a poll when we get closer.

AustinChief
05-17-2010, 04:45 PM
What's the price tag for the whole thing? MY apologies if this was "axed" and answered already.

The price (not including monthy that I pay alread) will be dependent on h/w really. The VB software upgrade is the cheap part ($300)

It will all depend on what I think we need after I finish doing benchmarks.

AustinChief
05-17-2010, 05:57 PM
The price (not including monthy that I pay alread) will be dependent on h/w really. The VB software upgrade is the cheap part ($300)

It will all depend on what I think we need after I finish doing benchmarks.

Starting to get h/w quotes in now...

The one thing I am certain of.. I will be upgrading RAM, probably to 8GB.

AustinChief
05-19-2010, 09:20 PM
ok, just an FYI, upgarding h/w shortly (next few days)... I will let you guys know if there is gonna be any down time.

Lumpy
05-19-2010, 09:23 PM
ok, just an FYI, upgarding h/w shortly (next few days)... I will let you guys know if there is gonna be any down time.

Looking forward to it, (eh, except the down time). :thumb:

Thx for all that you do! :)

RedNFeisty
05-19-2010, 09:24 PM
Not sure yet, right now I'm still on the h/w analysis stage. I am willing to add any feature that is feasible and the masses call for.

Let's use this thread to discuss it then I will post a poll when we get closer.

What about a section for the ladies, so that we can have our own place to whine and bitch?? Badgirls, thread made me think of it, and that way the guys don't have to deal with it in the lounge. Yeah, yeah, football board I know, but we have sections for everything else. Only a thought.

Lumpy
05-19-2010, 09:29 PM
What about a section for the ladies, so that we can have our own place to whine and bitch?? Badgirls, thread made me think of it, and that way the guys don't have to deal with it in the lounge. Yeah, yeah, football board I know, but we have sections for everything else. Only a thought.

:facepalm:

RedNFeisty
05-19-2010, 09:31 PM
:facepalm:

What? Issue? You think it is a bad idea?

Bowser
05-19-2010, 09:31 PM

You guys can get nipple to nipple out here. We'll make space for you.

Lumpy
05-19-2010, 09:34 PM
What? Issue? You think it is a bad idea?

No offense, Red, but yeah... not a good idea.

RedNFeisty
05-19-2010, 09:41 PM
No offense, Red, but yeah... not a good idea.

No offense, only a thought. Not all of my idea's are good ones, I learned that long ago...lol...guess mud wrestling for donations wouldn't be a good idea either, huh? :D

RedNFeisty
05-19-2010, 09:42 PM
You guys can get nipple to nipple out here. We'll make space for you.

Probably not a good idea either. :cuss:

Lumpy
05-19-2010, 09:45 PM
No offense, only a thought. Not all of my idea's are good ones, I learned that long ago...lol...guess mud wrestling for donations wouldn't be a good idea either, huh? :D

I don't think I could stomach seeing some of the guys on here mud wrestling. Oh wait, you were talking about us chicks, huh? Disregard. LMAO

RedNFeisty
05-19-2010, 09:52 PM
I don't think I could stomach seeing some of the guys on here mud wrestling. Oh wait, you were talking about us chicks, huh? Disregard. LMAO

LMAO...I have no desire to see the men mud wrestle...LMAO

But, wait, there are more guys, and I am sure we could make a lot more money if we got the right audience!! :hmmm:

AustinChief
05-20-2010, 11:05 AM
Looking forward to it, (eh, except the down time). :thumb:

Thx for all that you do! :)

No Problem! And hopefully downtime will stay at a minimum.

Bane
05-20-2010, 11:07 AM
No Problem! And hopefully downtime will stay at a minimum.

rep LMAO

"Bob" Dobbs
05-20-2010, 11:08 AM
No Problem! And hopefully downtime will stay at a minimum.As good a time as any to point this out for when the server's down... http://z10.invisionfree.com/Downtime_CP/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=1

AustinChief
05-20-2010, 02:46 PM
As good a time as any to point this out for when the server's down... http://z10.invisionfree.com/Downtime_CP/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=1

Perfect!

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-20-2010, 03:14 PM

I like where this is going...

DaFace
05-20-2010, 03:16 PM
For what it's worth, I just installed vB 4.03 for a work-related thing, and the whole styles system has been completely revamped. Hopefully a lot of it will migrate over, but people should probably be prepared for this place to look a little ugly for a while afterward as we fix things.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-20-2010, 03:24 PM
For what it's worth, I just installed vB 4.03 for a work-related thing, and the whole styles system has been completely revamped. Hopefully a lot of it will migrate over, but people should probably be prepared for this place to look a little ugly for a while afterward as we fix things.

We LIVE for "ugly" up this bitch!

AustinChief
05-20-2010, 09:14 PM

My guess is that it will take some serious revamping to get a look we like... BUT I also see this as an opportunity to make any changes we may want. I will start to post a few possible changes in this thread. Anything anyone is looking for?

AustinChief
05-20-2010, 09:21 PM
There will also be some minor facebook integration... just a facebook connect login (so new users can log in easier) and possibly the abilty to SHARE interesting/funny posts there as well...

It won't affect people who aren't on facebook at all.

Any suggestions are welcome...

AustinChief
05-21-2010, 03:26 PM
bump cuz I can!

luv
05-21-2010, 03:27 PM
There will also be some minor facebook integration... just a facebook connect login (so new users can log in easier) and possibly the abilty to SHARE interesting/funny posts there as well...

The two sites I'm totally addicted to "combined"? Heaven. Pure heaven.

Bane
05-21-2010, 03:29 PM

Sounds pretty slick.

"Bob" Dobbs
05-21-2010, 03:34 PM
bump cuz I can!Since this is an important thread for the next few weeks, why not just sticky it?

Gonzo
05-21-2010, 04:58 PM

Why do I suddenly feel like Stan fron South park? I've refused to "facebook" to this point.
Posted via Mobile Device

AustinChief
05-21-2010, 05:41 PM
Why do I suddenly feel like Stan fron South park? I've refused to "facebook" to this point.
Posted via Mobile Device

It won't make you facebook, just allow the facebookers to share info from us back to facebook

Gonzo
05-21-2010, 05:44 PM
It won't make you facebook, just allow the facebookers to share info from us back to facebook

Yeah, I know. But it's coming down to the wire for the last person alive not to Facebook. Its between me and some dude named "Click-Click Dugoo" in some 3rd world country. I'm holding out and I think I'll get his ass.
Posted via Mobile Device

AustinChief
05-21-2010, 06:15 PM
Yeah, I know. But it's coming down to the wire for the last person alive not to Facebook. Its between me and some dude named "Click-Click Dugoo" in some 3rd world country. I'm holding out and I think I'll get his ass.
Posted via Mobile Device
I actually have a friend here in Austin who is in his mid twenties and doesn't facebook/myspace and refuses to own a CELL PHONE! He has a regular job, a car, an apartment... drinks at my favorite pub... so overall normal except for tech.

bevischief
05-21-2010, 06:19 PM
I actually have a friend here in Austin who is in his mid twenties and doesn't facebook/myspace and refuses to own a CELL PHONE! He has a regular job, a car, an apartment... drinks at my favorite pub... so overall normal except for tech.

Get him drunk and sign him up...:)

milkman
05-21-2010, 10:35 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I never knew my real name was "Click-Click Dugoo".

Hell, I don't even E-mail.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-22-2010, 12:19 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

LMAO Repizzle.

Incidentally, I must be related to Mr. Dugoo because I don't Facebook either.

Because it's teh ghey.

Stewie
05-22-2010, 12:27 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Heh! I have a minimal facebook page, mostly for family stuff. The guys never post, the women are all over it. I get to read important stuff like:

We're going to garage sales!
I'm taking the day off. (This from my niece that doesn't work.)
The sun is out!
Ugh! It's Monday...
My daughter thinks I'm crazy...

AustinChief
05-24-2010, 06:31 PM
ok, getting closer. I am juggling this with "real" work and my startup which is right now requiring a TON of recoding...

On a side note, someone suggested incentivizing donations with Casino Cash.. bad? good? indifferent?

Oh and once again a heartfelt thanks to all who have donated now and in the past!

RedNFeisty
05-24-2010, 06:46 PM
Heh! I have a minimal facebook page, mostly for family stuff. The guys never post, the women are all over it. I get to read important stuff like:

We're going to garage sales!
I'm taking the day off. (This from my niece that doesn't work.)
The sun is out!
Ugh! It's Monday...
My daughter thinks I'm crazy...

ROFL Sounds like my facebook page. Not sure I would want the people I have on facebook following me here. It is one thing to have friends from here on my page, but not vice versa.

chefsos
05-24-2010, 07:03 PM
ROFL Sounds like my facebook page. Not sure I would want the people I have on facebook following me here. It is one thing to have friends from here on my page, but not vice versa.
There you go, Kyle. Anyone comes here from Facebook, $50. Up front. Then just ban 'em.

DaFace
05-24-2010, 07:23 PM
ok, getting closer. I am juggling this with "real" work and my startup which is right now requiring a TON of recoding...

On a side note, someone suggested incentivizing donations with Casino Cash.. bad? good? indifferent?

Oh and once again a heartfelt thanks to all who have donated now and in the past!

I generally like the idea, though I do have a mild worry about using real money in a virtual casino. I guess it should be OK legally since there's no way to get your money back OUT of the casino, though.

AustinChief
05-24-2010, 08:54 PM
I generally like the idea, though I do have a mild worry about using real money in a virtual casino. I guess it should be OK legally since there's no way to get your money back OUT of the casino, though.

Yeah, there aren't any legal implications so long as we don't offer anything but entertainment value.

RedNFeisty
05-24-2010, 09:13 PM
Yeah, there aren't any legal implications so long as we don't offer anything but entertainment value.

There is never anyone on to play with anyway!!

AustinChief
05-24-2010, 11:49 PM
There is never anyone on to play with anyway!!

seriously? No one has responded to this yet.... Chiefsplanet is slacking!

kysirsoze
05-25-2010, 02:07 AM
Just donated. Long overdue. A simple thank you for the many, many, potentially productive hours you've helped me put to no use.

RedNFeisty
05-26-2010, 09:02 PM
seriously? No one has responded to this yet.... Chiefsplanet is slacking!

Like I said, no one to play with!!

big nasty kcnut
05-27-2010, 01:58 AM
i'll give you something to play with red. lol j/k

RedNFeisty
05-27-2010, 09:28 AM
i'll give you something to play with red. lol j/k
Promises, promises. :p

Mr. Kotter
05-29-2010, 03:13 AM
Donation sent; as for the personal blog....that's pretty much been my entire history of posting, and people don't seem too interested really. Heh.

Keep up the good work, Kyle; this is my once or twice this month that I spend a serious chunk of time here, anymore. The place has changed, but it's still worthwhile and still provides a good escape/entertainment outlet on occasion.

:toast:

UteChief
06-03-2010, 01:30 PM

Will there be pillow fights?

DaKCMan AP
06-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Promotion: Check

Donation: Check

AustinChief
06-11-2010, 02:35 PM
slowly getting there. We had a hacker attack us this week but I sorted that out ... So it's back to work on upgrades! Will keep ya posted.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-11-2010, 05:33 PM
slowly getting there. We had a hacker attack us this week but I sorted that out ... So it's back to work on upgrades! Will keep ya posted.

Good work, Brah.

I loves me some functioning Planet!

Buehler445
06-11-2010, 10:32 PM

Fuck that noise. Do we need to send Mohillbilly with a billy club after them?

Lumpy
06-15-2010, 12:01 PM

I was bored... sry about that. :D

DaKCMan AP
06-15-2010, 02:44 PM
I was bored... sry about that. :D

:spank:

Lumpy
06-15-2010, 02:57 PM
:spank:

rochambeau

DaKCMan AP
06-15-2010, 03:04 PM
rochambeau

:grr:

Lumpy
06-15-2010, 03:05 PM
:grr:

;)

Tribal Warfare
06-29-2010, 12:18 AM
AustinChief, who's the partner site you were thinking of co-promoting? You mentioned this earlier but didn't specify the website.

LetsSignRussell
06-29-2010, 12:34 AM

wasn't me

AustinChief
06-29-2010, 03:21 PM
AustinChief, who's the partner site you were thinking of co-promoting? You mentioned this earlier but didn't specify the website.

Can't say yet because they aren't launched. It's a project by a buddy of mine that I think will be fun.. we will see.

The_Chief
06-30-2010, 01:09 AM
cool

chiefforlife
06-30-2010, 08:06 AM
I'm in.

suzzer99
07-10-2010, 11:11 AM
I'm posting here because I can't make a new thread. For what it's worth, I'm now getting spam emails and viruses on the email address I used to sign up for Chiefs Planet. I have my own domain so I generally use a unique email address for each site I sign up for (IE - chiefsplanet @ xxx.com), precisely so I can track if they sell/leak my email address to spammers. There is no way this email address could have gotten out other than a leak from your site.

Did anyone else get a tricky virus email this morning with this subject: "Check the new facebook applications !!!"? That's the one that came on my chiefsplanet email address.

AustinChief
07-10-2010, 12:37 PM
I'm posting here because I can't make a new thread. For what it's worth, I'm now getting spam emails and viruses on the email address I used to sign up for Chiefs Planet. I have my own domain so I generally use a unique email address for each site I sign up for (IE - chiefsplanet @ xxx.com), precisely so I can track if they sell/leak my email address to spammers. There is no way this email address could have gotten out other than a leak from your site.

Did anyone else get a tricky virus email this morning with this subject: "Check the new facebook applications !!!"? That's the one that came on my chiefsplanet email address.We DEFINITELY don't give out email addresses. I'll look into this right now.

Guru
07-10-2010, 01:55 PM

Did anyone else get a tricky virus email this morning with this subject: "Check the new facebook applications !!!"? That's the one that came on my chiefsplanet email address.

I got that email too but it wasn't on my CP email. I doubt it has anything to do with the changes going on here.

AustinChief
07-10-2010, 02:09 PM
I got that email too but it wasn't on my CP email. I doubt it has anything to do with the changes going on here.

Yup, I got the email on 3 different emails but not on any that are tied to Chiefsplanet... I'm still looking into it though.

luv
07-10-2010, 02:52 PM

I haven't received any such email.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaFace
07-10-2010, 04:42 PM
Are you behind the frequent bog-downs lately, Kyle? Seems like 2-3 times a day it takes a page 1-2 minutes to load.

suzzer99
07-10-2010, 07:55 PM
We DEFINITELY don't give out email addresses. I'll look into this right now.

Ok but you do understand what I'm saying right? I make up a new email address for every place I sign up. So that email address only existed for this site. Maybe a computer at your place is infected or something? I really don't know, there a lot of ways it could have gotten out. But just understand that email address was completely unique to chiefsplanet.com. The only other sites I've had this happen to are porn sites, and strangely enough, united.com.

luv
07-10-2010, 07:57 PM
Ok but you do understand what I'm saying right? I make up a new email address for every place I sign up. So that email address only existed for this site. Maybe a computer at your place is infected or something? I really don't know, there a lot of ways it could have gotten out. But just understand that email address was completely unique to chiefsplanet.com. The only other sites I've had this happen to are porn sites, and strangely enough, united.com.

No, the admins around here are idiots. :spock:

AustinChief
07-10-2010, 08:05 PM

It is RARE but sometimes a SPAM server will get a valid email address by chance. Basically it will go through a random sequence of addresses for a given domain and hope that a few are valid and get through. I can't say for certain, but after looking into it... I am not seeing any security holes or pattern. As I said, I received that same piece of SPAM but not on any email addresses tied to this server (which is a dedicated server that only I and a few admins have access to).

I will keep looking just in case, but it isn't likely an "infected" system since the only place the emails reside is in a MySQL database on a linux server... would be a helluva a specificly targeted infection.

The only other thing that may be the issue would be a VBulletin exploit that can somehow grab the addresses...I am looking into that now.

Bacon Cheeseburger
07-10-2010, 08:14 PM
Yup, I got the email on 3 different emails but not on any that are tied to Chiefsplanet... I'm still looking into it though.
I got what appears to be the same email he's talking about on my old AOL account that used when I originally registered here, and that one isn't tied to my facebook account either. I didn't open it though.

Buck
07-10-2010, 10:27 PM
I've got the same email too.

Didn't you say someone was trying to hack CP the other day? Anything to do with that?

suzzer99
07-11-2010, 09:31 PM
It is RARE but sometimes a SPAM server will get a valid email address by chance. Basically it will go through a random sequence of addresses for a given domain and hope that a few are valid and get through.

The email address it came in on is chiefsplanet@[my domain name].com. That would be a pretty amazing random generation coincidence considering I also get wekrjwkeljrl@[my domain name].com, or any other random string. (Anything that doesn't come in to my main address I send to a junk folder which I periodically scan through.)

AustinChief
07-11-2010, 09:43 PM
The email address it came in on is chiefsplanet@[my domain name].com. That would be a pretty amazing random generation coincidence considering I also get wekrjwkeljrl@[my domain name].com, or any other random string. (Anything that doesn't come in to my main address I send to a junk folder which I periodically scan through.)

if there isn't any others in junk than it could be a vbulletin exploit that uses it's mail system... which isn't great but it's better than that email being on a spam list somewhere... we are in the middle of upgrades that should render any past exploits inoperative.

suzzer99
07-12-2010, 12:25 AM
Cool, thanks for the prompt responses and being on top of things. I get so much spam it's not a big deal. But I just thought I'd let you know.

Guru
07-12-2010, 12:46 AM
Have you been doing anything with the server today Austin? Things have been very hit and miss for me most of the day. Slow response times are the main issue I am having.

greg63
07-16-2010, 10:01 PM
It's done fine for me; of course I haven't been on a lot today.

Detoxing
07-23-2010, 10:55 AM
My slow Loading times are occuring more frequently by the day. Up until now, I haven't been able to load the page for about 20 minutes, trying every few minutes or so.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-23-2010, 06:16 PM
My slow Loading times are occuring more frequently by the day. Up until now, I haven't been able to load the page for about 20 minutes, trying every few minutes or so.

Upgrade from a P1? :D

Guru
07-23-2010, 08:07 PM
I have been running into more and more instances where the planet times out during loading. It is only the Planet too.

AustinChief
07-23-2010, 08:42 PM
I have been running into more and more instances where the planet times out during loading. It is only the Planet too.
yup, partly me workin on things .. partly some unknown process that is killing the db.. sooner we upgrade the sooner it will go away... so I am concentrating on that before preseason

Guru
07-23-2010, 10:27 PM
yup, partly me workin on things .. partly some unknown process that is killing the db.. sooner we upgrade the sooner it will go away... so I am concentrating on that before preseasonI assumed as much. Just trying to keep you updated as to what we are seeing too is all.

Glad you are working on it and also looking forward to seeing the newly updated product.:clap:

Guru
08-12-2010, 02:11 PM
Are these server issues going to be done before the season starts?

BWillie
08-12-2010, 05:50 PM
There is 5 dollars for you :) Hopefully that will help

the Talking Can
08-18-2010, 01:44 PM
anyone else having issues?

i get a 30 sec to several minute lag when trying to reach the site, on and off throughout the day...going on two weeks now...

if this has been explained already in the thead which i chose not to read, then just shoot me in the face...

Bowser
08-18-2010, 02:12 PM

i get a 30 sec to several minute lag when trying to reach the site, on and off throughout the day...going on two weeks now...

if this has been explained already in the thead which i chose not to read, then just shoot me in the face...

Ditto this for me.

BWillie
08-18-2010, 02:32 PM
Me too that's why I donated $5. Lets all donate something

the Talking Can
08-18-2010, 02:37 PM
i have a monthly donation set up with paypal

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-18-2010, 02:38 PM
I'm in a position to be a supporter now, Austin; how do I make it happen?

DaFace
08-18-2010, 02:46 PM
I'm in a position to be a supporter now, Austin; how do I make it happen?

Click on the green "Donate" button in the top bar.

I can't really speak to a solution for the issues - they're WAY above my head. I agree that it's pretty annoying, though.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-18-2010, 03:09 PM
Click on the green "Donate" button in the top bar.

How ya' like me now? :D

Pestilence
08-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Donation sent.

Guru
08-18-2010, 03:19 PM
I just wish all these upgrades happened as soon as the season ended rather than right before the season begins. This is annoying

Tribal Warfare
08-18-2010, 04:53 PM
Me too that's why I donated $5. Lets all donate something

if every regular donated that at least 5 bucks their wouldn't be a problem with cash flow for the server

WilliamTheIrish
08-18-2010, 04:55 PM

+1

Bwana
08-18-2010, 05:02 PM
+1

+2

Coach
08-18-2010, 05:04 PM

Ditto here as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

the Talking Can
08-18-2010, 05:41 PM
i'm getting 'database error' messages now...which is something new...

Gonzo
08-18-2010, 05:49 PM
The planet lags because you all touch yourselves at night...
Posted via Mobile Device

Bearcat
08-18-2010, 06:01 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

And all this time I thought that's what was keeping it going. :(

Bowser
08-18-2010, 06:03 PM
Posted via Mobile DeviceShit, if that was the deciding factor, I think everybody's drives would have melted to worthless scrap by now.

DRU
08-18-2010, 06:13 PM
1. Look into cloud hosting. It'll automatically give you more resources when you need it so when the Chiefs win the super bowl and the planet blows up it'll be able to handle it. :)

2. Replace "donate" links with something more like "buy me a beer." A little icon of a foamy beer that says buy me a beer goes a lot further than donate buttons of any kind. You'll get a lot more $5 beers than you will $5 donations. Just my experience there.

3. The blogging thing is cool, but I do have a couple of comments on the matter. First, there are so many different places to get a blog these days I don't really see the advantage for users to be able to make one here. Other than the fact it might be myblog.chiefsplanet.com or something like that instead of myblog.blogspot.com. I just don't know that many people who know what blogging is would use it here instead of at blogspot or their own WordPress site.

Mainly, though, the thing about personal blogs within a forum setting like this is that the conversations wind up buried inside a bunch of different personal blogs instead of in the main forum where you can find it easily. I personally like browsing the Lounge and finding everything right there. Maybe each personal blog would get included in the Lounge or something..??

One more thing to note is that if you end up with a bunch of people running their own blogs here it's going to be that much harder to manage the bandwidth (unless you go with a cloud server) and it would be a nightmare if you happened to have a server issue and all these blogs went down...people would bitch and moan rather than thank you for it.

Just my two cents.

DRU
08-18-2010, 06:23 PM
One more thing. If you switch to Express Checkout for the donation checkout instead of standard PayPal you'll probably get more donations. Not everybody has PayPal and even though people can pay you with a credit card through PayPal even without a PayPal account, this fact is not obvious and buyers don't understand it. It's actually the #1 reason people call me to integrate Payments Pro for them, however, you don't have to go Pro to make it easier on non-PayPal users. Express Checkout can do that for you.

And yet another small thing is that I'd recommend you switch the PayPal account from kyleterrill@hotmail.com to something like payments@chiefsplanet.com. When people are donating or purchasing from a web site like this they don't like to see "personal" accounts being used on the back-end. It seems less professional and will often steer buyers the other direction.

Contact me directly if you'd like more info. I've been integrating PayPal into web sites for many years now and you're pretty much guaranteed to see an increase in conversion rates when you move to Express Checkout from Standard, and yet again when you move to Pro from Express Checkout only.

AustinChief
08-18-2010, 06:23 PM
Sorry, 90% of the errors relate to me fixing alot of crap that has built up over time... I have pretty much been cleaning up and working on the server all summer now...

It was long overdue for quite a bit of work and is almost ready for the big shift to new hardware... then the even bigger shift to newer software.

TrebMaxx
08-18-2010, 06:28 PM
Sorry, 90% of the errors relate to me fixing alot of crap that has built up over time... I have pretty much been cleaning up and working on the server all summer now...

It was long overdue for quite a bit of work and is almost ready for the big shift to new hardware... then the even bigger shift to newer software.

Thanks for all of your hard work. :thumb:

Bacon Cheeseburger
08-18-2010, 06:54 PM

I sent you $25 for your efforts. :)

the Talking Can
08-18-2010, 07:05 PM

no problem, i appreciate everything you do

i was just checking to see if the problem was me or the planet...

Bwana
08-18-2010, 07:11 PM
no problem, i appreciate everything you do

i was just checking to see if the problem was me or the planet...

This

Thanks for all you do Kyle.

JD10367
08-18-2010, 07:15 PM
PatriotsPlanet was suffering the same symptoms. Lucky me, since I go to both boards, LOL. Not much of an issue, though; if I click, and it doesn't move within 10 seconds, I click again, which seems to negate the first click, and then I click a third time which usually works. The lesson being: surfing the Planet is like sex... if you press the button, and nothing happens within 10 seconds, you better press the button again if you want a response. :D