PDA

View Full Version : Misc AT&T U-Verse

Al Bundy
05-13-2010, 01:32 PM
At&t Uverse, anyone have it? If so, what's your thoughts on it? Thanks in advance.u

Jewish Rabbi
05-13-2010, 01:35 PM
http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=208715&highlight=Uverse

Pants
05-13-2010, 02:10 PM
I have it right now. Internet fucking blows compared to cable and even though they have 10x more HD channels, the signal is fucking garbage because it's spread so thin. Get it right now because they're giving away $300 for signing up with them (no contract) and drop them in 2 months. Hope that helps.

Zeke
05-13-2010, 02:38 PM
Hmm.. I actually love them. Have had zero problems in the 9 months we've had them. I guess maybe having come from Everest (nothing but problems there) makes the turd look shiny and clean in my case.

Pants
05-13-2010, 02:43 PM
Hmm.. I actually love them. Have had zero problems in the 9 months we've had them. I guess maybe having come from Everest (nothing but problems there) makes the turd look shiny and clean in my case.

Don't get me wrong, I'm having 0 problems with them as well. I just don't like the quality. I didn't have any problems with Comcast either, though. The reason I switched to ATT was because my promotion for cable ran out (everything was half-price for 6 months) so to get the promotion back I had to stop using cable for 2 months. I'll be going back to them in a couple weeks. I can't wait. I'm also coming away with a $300 Visa card that ATT sent to me. :)

Dicky McElephant
05-13-2010, 02:55 PM
I have it right now. Internet fucking blows compared to cable and even though they have 10x more HD channels, the signal is fucking garbage because it's spread so thin. Get it right now because they're giving away $300 for signing up with them (no contract) and drop them in 2 months. Hope that helps.

What problems are you having with the internet? My internet is just fine with them.

morphius
05-13-2010, 02:59 PM
What problems are you having with the internet? My internet is just fine with them.
maybe he got the low tier.

Pants
05-13-2010, 03:01 PM

No problems. It's just a lot slower than cable. The difference is very noticeable on XBL and when I try to stream video. I'm not saying it's a bad stand alone product, I'm just comparing it to what I had 2 months ago and what I have now (but not for much longer).

Pants
05-13-2010, 03:05 PM
maybe he got the low tier.

The tiers only improve bandwidth, not latency. I have the Elite tier anyway and the U300 TV package. It could be my location, because that matters a lot with DSL, I honestly don't know.

The HD signal, however, is an issue you'll see everywhere. You have a choice between 10 not-so-good HD HBO channels (ATT) or 2 very high quality HD channels and 8 SD channels (cable). That's just an example. If you have a nice, large TV - the difference is quite noticeable.

The Rick
05-13-2010, 03:06 PM
No problems. It's just a lot slower than cable. The difference is very noticeable on XBL and when I try to stream video. I'm not saying it's a bad stand alone product, I'm just comparing it to what I had 2 months ago and what I have now (but not for much longer).
Interesting. Not doubting you, but for me, my Internet connection has been much more reliable and consistent since I switched to U-verse from Time Warner. It probably has everything to do with where you live, etc. Each person's experience may just be different.

Pants
05-13-2010, 03:12 PM
Interesting. Not doubting you, but for me, my Internet connection has been much more reliable and consistent since I switched to U-verse from Time Warner. It probably has everything to do with where you live, etc. Each person's experience may just be different.

Like I said, I wouldn't even give a fuck if it wasn't for XBL. It's just hindering my enjoyment enough for me to go back to cable and their shitty DVR UI, lol.

Dayze
05-13-2010, 03:14 PM
had to switch from DTV to something else after we moved. We intially went with TW; and after about 5 hours, I said "Screw this.....this is garbage". God awful - I was quickly reminded why I canceled them after 60 days 7 years ago to go to DTV.

Anyway; so far we really like Uverse; no complaints. havnen't had any bad signals etc; internet is fast for what we do (surfing, emailing). I'd recommend it.

Dicky McElephant
05-13-2010, 03:16 PM
The tiers only improve bandwidth, not latency. I have the Elite tier anyway and the U300 TV package. It could be my location, because that matters a lot with DSL, I honestly don't know.

The HD signal, however, is an issue you'll see everywhere. You have a choice between 10 not-so-good HD HBO channels (ATT) or 2 very high quality HD channels and 8 SD channels (cable). That's just an example. If you have a nice, large TV - the difference is quite noticeable.

Yeah it definitely could be your location.....especially where the connection is for your neighborhood. The installer was telling me that the farther away you are....the slower it will be....no matter what package you purchase. It could honestly be bullshit....but whatever.

BigRedChief
05-13-2010, 03:27 PM
I love my U-verse. much better than cable. Do a search, Dartgod created a U-Verse thread, lots of opinions and info in that thread.

HeadArrow
05-13-2010, 03:29 PM
We had TW and finally dumped them after numerous problems with their product. HD Channels that were consistently "choppy", DVR recordings that stopped recording on their own about 10 minutes before the end of the show, unexpected re-boots, and the final straw a dipshit customer service guy who pissed off my wife when she called to get some help.

We've had ATT for a couples weeks and so far, we're happy. Nice features (like recording in one room, watching in another), and more HD channels. So far, I haven't seen any problems with the HD channels on a 60" high def TV.

kc rush
05-13-2010, 03:35 PM
I miss U-verse. I'm stuck with Time Warner where I'm currently located, and am not a fan.

Pants
05-13-2010, 03:36 PM
Yeah it definitely could be your location.....especially where the connection is for your neighborhood. The installer was telling me that the farther away you are....the slower it will be....no matter what package you purchase. It could honestly be bullshit....but whatever.

No, it's not bullshit. Distance is a big factor with DSL.

wildcat09
05-13-2010, 03:38 PM
I am having an issue with TW internet. The router is in the livingroom and my signal in my office sucks balls.

Pants
05-13-2010, 03:38 PM
We had TW and finally dumped them after numerous problems with their product. HD Channels that were consistently "choppy", DVR recordings that stopped recording on their own about 10 minutes before the end of the show, unexpected re-boots, and the final straw a dipshit customer service guy who pissed off my wife when she called to get some help.

We've had ATT for a couples weeks and so far, we're happy. Nice features (like recording in one room, watching in another), and more HD channels. So far, I haven't seen any problems with the HD channels on a 60" high def TV.

Then either TW has shitty HD signal compared to Comcast or you just don't notice the difference. I notice the difference (especially with sports).

HeadArrow
05-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Then either TW has shitty HD signal compared to Comcast or you just don't notice the difference. I notice the difference (especially with sports).

I'm going with TW having a shitty HD signal.

The difference hasn't been in the quality of the "resolution". Both TW and ATT have nice HD quality when it comes to the clarity, etc.. The problem with TW comes with the disruption of the signal, resulting in a choppy/fragmented image. I'm sure there's a more technical description for this, but it seems the receiver wasn't keeping up with the data it's receiving??

BWillie
05-13-2010, 03:49 PM
Their HD sucks. Get Direct TV. So your internet will suck anyway, because you usually have to go thru AT&T for internet anyway.

rageeumr
05-13-2010, 03:56 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=165708&highlight=uverse

In the interest of full disclosure, I ended up getting Uverse about a year after I wrote that post. Comcast had jacked my rates up so high that I could get a tier higher of a TV package and faster internet for less money.

My TV service has had intermittent issues with cutting out, the HD is choppy on some channels from time to time and my internet is occasionally temperamental.

The customer service is still the worst I have ever encountered in my life.

So I guess to summarize my post: I probably wouldn't recommend it. I like it just enough to not screw around with switching again.

Pants
05-13-2010, 04:21 PM
Their HD sucks. Get Direct TV. So your internet will suck anyway, because you usually have to go thru AT&T for internet anyway.

I can't stress enough to people that their HD is subpar. I'm not talking about it being choppy or having artifacts, I'm talking about pure picture quality. You WILL however get a crapton more HD channels, so it's a quantity vs quality type deal.