PDA

View Full Version : Computers Blah my computer is fucked

Mecca
05-15-2010, 01:14 AM
Looks like I'm going to have to invest in a new one..when you push the power button and nothing happens and it's pushing 6 years old, not a good sign.

I think I might just pick up a netbook based on what I generally use a computer for..what are peoples thoughts on those here?

Buehler445
05-15-2010, 04:22 AM
The difference that I know of is they have low RAM so they cabbage onto a segment of harddrive to act as RAM. Theoretically shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't fill up the HD.

A buddy has one and says it doesn't stream worth shit.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buehler445
05-15-2010, 04:39 AM
But honestly, if you can deal, you can't beat the price.
Posted via Mobile Device

Guru
05-15-2010, 05:10 AM
I'm not really impressed with the price of netbooks for what little they do.

patteeu
05-15-2010, 08:00 AM
My computer did that last week. I bought a new power supply and now I'm up and running again on my 8 year old antique.

6 years old is a pretty old comp though, are you wanting a new one anyway?

patteeu
05-15-2010, 08:05 AM
FWIW, I was looking at netbooks for my daughter but I decided that I'd rather spend ~$600 on a decent laptop than ~$300 on a netbook after trying out my sister-in-laws' netbook out for a day. I forget what she has but I think it was a 2 year old ASUS eeePC or something like that.

In the end, I decided to get my daughter the bottom level macbook for $999 because she's always wanting to use her mom's macbook instead of our family pc laptop.

Stewie
05-15-2010, 08:10 AM
I bought a new 17" laptop about six months ago. Love it! I had a Dell laptop that I bought in '03 and it just wasn't getting it done. It's an ACER with an AMD dual core and 4 gig RAM (WIN 7). I got it for $579. It has HD video and streams great even over a wireless connection. It's how I watched the Masters golf tournament when it was only available over the 'net. I just plugged the HDMI output to my HDTV and it was pristine. For the money I've been very very happy.

Edit: FWIW, this is where I bought it. I also wrote the first review.

http://www.jr.com/acer-computer/pe/ACE_AS75401317/

QuikSsurfer
05-15-2010, 08:30 AM
The difference that I know of is they have low RAM so they cabbage onto a segment of harddrive to act as RAM. Theoretically shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't fill up the HD.

A buddy has one and says it doesn't stream worth shit.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have an Asus 1201n with 4 gigs of RAM (came with 2), Atom 330 duo core, nvidia ion, 250gb hdd, HDMI out and Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.. I had every intention of using this as my backup but it has honestly become my go to computer.

Video streaming (including 720p) works like a champ..

SLAG
05-15-2010, 12:35 PM
yeah a netbook is fine if you get one with 2gb ram or over..... or bump it up to whatever you want

RAM is cheap.
The wife and I both have netbooks with 1gb ram and they are not bad she runs XP.. I mainly use it to try out new Linux Distros - and am trying peppermintOS on it now - I like it

but i just built me in late march/early april a core i7 with 6GB ram and 1GB ddr2 Video card... that dual boots windows 7 and LinuxMint

I am very pleased....