PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Is it me, or does iTunes suck?

jAZ
05-16-2010, 02:40 AM
I have an iPhone and I guess I have to use iTunes for my sync software.

Unless I'm just doing it wrong, this thing sucks ass.

1) I can't seem to be able sync specific songs, or albums but you can do it by genre (who chooses music by genre?).

2) It somehow discovered all of my songs/albums twice during setup, creating a 2nd copy of them on my hard drive with a different file structure (one by album name only and one by artist, then album name). So each track/album is listed in iTunes' list twice.

3) When I saw that there were two trees, I tried to delete one of them from within iTunes. Well, of course, there is no way to tell which one is from which tree-structure from within iTunes. So...

4) I deleted one of the source trees (album-only) from within windows, but of course... instead of removing all of the deleted files out of the iTunes file list, they are still all there twice, but 1/2 of them are listed as "not found".

5) Why they don't remove lost files from iTunes is beyond me. If they aren't found, get rid of them en-masse, please. If I wanted them back, I could re-add them en-mass. Of course, that's just too helpful and far too simple. No, instead you are going to force me to delete 1000 freaking non-existent on by one because...

4) You can't sort and select-all for the lost tracks. Even though each of them is marked with an icon that they are missing.

Other problems I've encountered

5) I can't seem to find and view my photos and videos directly on my phone so as to copy them off. I can only sync which forces me to move a bunch of photos from my computer onto the phone, which I don't want to do. I just want to remove them from the phone.

6) One of the apps I installed is a video recorder for the phone which I can't seem to get the videos off the phone (see above).

Am I the only one who thinks iTunes is ridiculously counterintuitive and overwhelmingly simplistic?

Thig Lyfe
05-16-2010, 02:44 AM
Try rebooting without saving.

listopencil
05-16-2010, 03:10 AM
Yeah, generally when product has a little "i" in front of it, that's a friendly warning that it sucks. It will be about 3 to 5 years behind cutting edge even though it's priced as if a demon from the future came and shit it right into your hand. Oh- and it's almost guaranteed to be compatible with nothing.

Silock
05-16-2010, 04:19 AM
1) I can't seem to be able sync specific songs, or albums but you can do it by genre (who chooses music by genre?).

Create a smart playlist, or a regular playlist, and sync via that.

2) It somehow discovered all of my songs/albums twice during setup, creating a 2nd copy of them on my hard drive with a different file structure (one by album name only and one by artist, then album name). So each track/album is listed in iTunes' list twice.

You checked "Let iTunes manage my music." It's actually much easier to let it do it, IMO.

3) When I saw that there were two trees, I tried to delete one of them from within iTunes. Well, of course, there is no way to tell which one is from which tree-structure from within iTunes. So...

Reveal in Explorer should be an option under the file menu.

4) I deleted one of the source trees (album-only) from within windows, but of course... instead of removing all of the deleted files out of the iTunes file list, they are still all there twice, but 1/2 of them are listed as "not found".

You should delete items from within iTunes, and then it will ask you if you want to delete just the item from iTunes, or from the computer.

5) Why they don't remove lost files from iTunes is beyond me. If they aren't found, get rid of them en-masse, please. If I wanted them back, I could re-add them en-mass. Of course, that's just too helpful and far too simple. No, instead you are going to force me to delete 1000 freaking non-existent on by one because...

This is old, but it might work. Surely there's a better option, but this was the first hit on Google. You might have heard of that little site :)

http://paulmayne.org/blog/2007/11/how-to-remove-broken-or-dead-tracks-from-itunes/

5) I can't seem to find and view my photos and videos directly on my phone so as to copy them off. I can only sync which forces me to move a bunch of photos from my computer onto the phone, which I don't want to do. I just want to remove them from the phone.

You should be able to select a sync folder for photos from your computer.

6) One of the apps I installed is a video recorder for the phone which I can't seem to get the videos off the phone (see above).

Perhaps you should check the website of the author of the software.

Reaper16
05-16-2010, 07:31 AM
This is old, but it might work. Surely there's a better option, but this was the first hit on Google. You might have heard of that little site :)

http://paulmayne.org/blog/2007/11/how-to-remove-broken-or-dead-tracks-from-itunes/

Rep for this link.

Priest31kc
05-16-2010, 10:44 AM
I dont have an MP3 player or IPod or anything, but as for music players or jukeboxes or whatever you call them, I use Media Monkey, alot better than ITunes IMO.

cdirty
05-16-2010, 10:45 AM
yes it does.

thats why i got a zune.

QuikSsurfer
05-16-2010, 12:46 PM
You should select to manually manage your music from the summary screen.
I'd also suggest deleting from within itunes - you can remove the song(s) from the list and the files from your computer that way.
You can find the file path from the get info option - ctrl + i over highlighted song

DaneMcCloud
05-16-2010, 12:56 PM
You should select to manually manage your music from the summary screen.
I'd also suggest deleting from within itunes - you can remove the song(s) from the list and the files from your computer that way.
You can find the file path from the get info option - ctrl + i over highlighted song

This will solve all of your problems.

Once you've selected "Manually Manage", you can transfer any song or album by title, etc. If you don't have "Manually Manage" checked, your iTunes automatically transfers over your entire library or new tracks you've added since last syncing your device.

Bearcat
05-16-2010, 01:01 PM
I've used gtkpod along with amazon mp3 for a while... it's not as shiny as iTunes and it's not the all-in-one package, but it's also not a bloated piece of crap that tries to run 10 processes at startup (and will keep re-enabling them with every update).... and I don't have to worry about syncing issues or which computer I'm on, etc.

HC_Chief
05-16-2010, 01:03 PM

Create a playlist, then select manually manage music in th first tab of the iPhone config. Add the music you want on your iPhone to the playlist. Example: I created a playlist called "iPhone", then copied the music I want on my phone to that playlist. I have 40+GB of music; my playlist is ~10GB... only the stuff I want to listen to regularly... and I can change it at any time by editing my playlist.

Next, switch over to the music tab and select "Only the songs/playlists I select", then place a check in the box next to the playlist you created.

Re: music management, simply allow iTunes to automatically manage your music... it is much simpler. You can find all your albums by artist under the iTunes folder. Also be sure to delete any M3U files from your drive before importing to iTunes. M3Us are playlists... they f*cking suck and for some reason make iTunes double-up your music in the music views.

iTunes is simplistic for a reason: it is an Apple product. Everything they make is consumer-based; it is built with the lowest common denominator in mind. This can severely frustrate those who are used to more granular control (reminds me of the *nix nerds who bitch about GUIs).

WilliamTheIrish
05-16-2010, 01:29 PM
I've used gtkpod along with amazon mp3 for a while... it's not as shiny as iTunes and it's not the all-in-one package, but it's also not a bloated piece of crap that tries to run 10 processes at startup (and will keep re-enabling them with every update).... and I don't have to worry about syncing issues or which computer I'm on, etc.

When my daughter loaded that iTunes shit on my laptop it would drive me nuts. It is a bloated f of a program.

Bearcat
05-16-2010, 03:43 PM
When my daughter loaded that iTunes shit on my laptop it would drive me nuts. It is a bloated f of a program.

Yep, and I hate hate hate how it sets quicktime to auto-start when you install iTunes, and then at seemingly random times after that.... after a while I ended up with like 10 unchecked quicktime boxes in msconfig, plus all the iTunes updater/bonjour crap.

However, a lot of that had to do with trying to trim XP's insane 2+ minute boot time down to something respectable, so it probably wouldn't be nearly as annoying in Windows 7... but I still just manage it with gtkpod in Ubuntu, because it just works.

vailpass
05-16-2010, 03:51 PM
Yeah, generally when product has a little "i" in front of it, that's a friendly warning that it sucks. It will be about 3 to 5 years behind cutting edge even though it's priced as if a demon from the future came and shit it right into your hand. Oh- and it's almost guaranteed to be compatible with nothing.

:LOL:

irishjayhawk
05-16-2010, 04:00 PM
iTunes is really one of their worst software products. And with the facelifts the iLife and iWork suites have seen, I can only hope a new iTunes is around the corner at some point.

But Silock's post is really good and so is the notion voiced by some already that manually managing is better.

Silock
05-16-2010, 05:51 PM
iTunes on the Mac is absolutely stellar

iTunes on the PC sucks. I refuse to install it on my PC.

patteeu
05-16-2010, 07:04 PM
This will solve all of your problems.

Once you've selected "Manually Manage", you can transfer any song or album by title, etc. If you don't have "Manually Manage" checked, your iTunes automatically transfers over your entire library or new tracks you've added since last syncing your device.

Unfortunately, the iphone doesn't work that way.

Create a playlist, then select manually manage music in th first tab of the iPhone config. Add the music you want on your iPhone to the playlist. Example: I created a playlist called "iPhone", then copied the music I want on my phone to that playlist. I have 40+GB of music; my playlist is ~10GB... only the stuff I want to listen to regularly... and I can change it at any time by editing my playlist.

Next, switch over to the music tab and select "Only the songs/playlists I select", then place a check in the box next to the playlist you created.

Re: music management, simply allow iTunes to automatically manage your music... it is much simpler. You can find all your albums by artist under the iTunes folder. Also be sure to delete any M3U files from your drive before importing to iTunes. M3Us are playlists... they f*cking suck and for some reason make iTunes double-up your music in the music views.

iTunes is simplistic for a reason: it is an Apple product. Everything they make is consumer-based; it is built with the lowest common denominator in mind. This can severely frustrate those who are used to more granular control (reminds me of the *nix nerds who bitch about GUIs).

This is the answer. It seems like a pain in the ass, but it's not much different than dragging and dropping to your iphone directly. It's an extra step beyond what you have to do with ipod, but that's it. I don't understand why they made the iphone this way though because it is an extra step.

DaneMcCloud
05-16-2010, 07:05 PM

Really? It doesn't work like an iPod?

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I actually fucking hate Apple products because of shit like this.

patteeu
05-16-2010, 07:05 PM

Good to hear. I'm dumping my PC for a mac this week sometime.

DaneMcCloud
05-16-2010, 07:09 PM
Good to hear. I'm dumping my PC for a mac this week sometime.

Don't do it!

:D

Why?

SnakeXJones
05-16-2010, 07:13 PM
iTunes has always been a piece of shit

patteeu
05-16-2010, 07:57 PM
Don't do it!

:D

Why?

It's time to upgrade or replace. My wife and daughter already have MacBooks. I've got an iPhone. It just seems easier to conform and get on the same platform. The other factor is that by getting a mac, I can make a few changes to my PC and end up with an HTPC, so in effect I'm replacing AND upgrading.

Oh, also, I don't do any serious PC gaming or have any needs for specific PC software that can't be matched on the mac.

patteeu
05-16-2010, 07:59 PM
Really? It doesn't work like an iPod?

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I actually ****ing hate Apple products because of shit like this.

I don't know about the iPod Touch, but no it doesn't work like a regular iPod.

Silock
05-16-2010, 08:30 PM

It does on the Mac. Not sure about PC, but I can't see it being that much different.

patteeu
05-16-2010, 09:29 PM
It does on the Mac. Not sure about PC, but I can't see it being that much different.

Drag and drop from your library to your iPhone? Unless there's a non-default setting in iTunes for Mac 9.0.2 that I don't know about, that doesn't appear to be the case. My wife has an iPhone and a mac.

The only ways I can see to transfer specific tunes (as opposed to the entire library) is by playlist, by artist, or by genre. For the basic iPods, you can drag and drop individual songs.

NewChief
05-16-2010, 09:33 PM
Drag and drop from your library to your iPhone? Unless there's a non-default setting in iTunes for Mac 9.0.2 that I don't know about, that doesn't appear to be the case. My wife has an iPhone and a mac.

The only ways I can see to transfer specific tunes (as opposed to the entire library) is by playlist, by artist, or by genre. For the basic iPods, you can drag and drop individual songs.

Weird. Works fine on both my PC and my Mac.

patteeu
05-16-2010, 09:35 PM
Weird. Works fine on both my PC and my Mac.

Really? Drag and drop a song?

Silock
05-16-2010, 09:39 PM
Yeah. Works fine on my computer for iPhone, iPad, and iPods.

patteeu
05-16-2010, 09:48 PM
Yeah. Works fine on my computer for iPhone, iPad, and iPods.

Any idea what I'm missing? Some guy named Dave Taylor (http://www.askdavetaylor.com/copy_itunes_music_onto_apple_iphone.html) sees what I see on both the Mac and the PC. What version of iTunes are you on?

Silock
05-16-2010, 09:59 PM
Latest version. Are you upgraded completely? Latest iTunes software and latest iPod software?

irishjayhawk
05-16-2010, 10:05 PM

This times 200.

But my critique of iTunes still stands. They need to overhaul it.

NewChief
05-17-2010, 06:11 AM
Really? Drag and drop a song?

Yes. I just clicked the "Manage music manually" box (on the device's preferences), and my touch or Iphone doesn't automatically sync. I can drag or drop songs, albums, etc..

I organize my music by albums, and that's how I transfer it as well. Highlight an album's songs, then transfer them over. I can do an individual song, though.

Pushead2
05-17-2010, 06:34 AM

hit it right on the head...:clap:

patteeu
05-17-2010, 02:00 PM
Latest version. Are you upgraded completely? Latest iTunes software and latest iPod software?

OK, I figured it out. I guess I didn't have the manage music manually box checked. Somehow, I missed that checkbox and I thought you guys were talking about the sync entire library versus sync specific playlists/artists/genres option. Doh.