PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Hey Tv Experts

Chocolate Hog
05-17-2010, 11:06 AM
http://www.nfm.com/DetailsPage.aspx?ProductID=31250244

Thoughts on this TV? Looking for something in this price range whatever is best to watch football on. Advice please and thanks.

Red Brooklyn
05-17-2010, 11:48 AM
I am not a tv expert. I should not have entered this thread.

mikeyis4dcats.
05-17-2010, 11:52 AM
for a plasma, I would look to Panasonic first.

Bump
05-17-2010, 11:54 AM
Do not buy Monster Cables, they have been proven to be no better than the $10 cables.

Red Brooklyn
05-17-2010, 12:01 PM
for a plasma, I would look to Panasonic first.
Why?

mikeyis4dcats.
05-17-2010, 12:05 PM
Why?

great track record. The Panny 42" I own was one of the best rated plasmas as were several other models.

Red Brooklyn
05-17-2010, 12:05 PM
great track record. The Panny 42" I own was one of the best rated plasmas as were several other models.
Sweet.

Thanks.

Pants
05-17-2010, 12:12 PM
I got a 46" Viera G10 for something like $950. Viera is the best plasma on the market now since Pioneer stopped making theirs. Do not buy the S10/20, everything else is going to be money.

Bane
05-17-2010, 01:18 PM
I have 5 Vizio LCD's and have zero issues with any of them.Great tv's,great price.IMO.

cardken
05-17-2010, 01:22 PM
I too have a 50" Panasonic Plasma, with great pic and no problems (1080). I paid $699.98 @ hhgregg this past February.

Pants
05-17-2010, 02:05 PM
I too have a 50" Panasonic Plasma, with great pic and no problems (1080). I paid $699.98 @ hhgregg this past February.

What's the model? Was it refurb? That price is suspect.

Chocolate Hog
05-17-2010, 02:10 PM
So is that TV Ilinked any good? I might just get a smaller LG tv.

Jewish Rabbi
05-17-2010, 02:44 PM

Well it's free at the Mart if Nebraska wins the National Championship, no?

Cave Johnson
05-17-2010, 03:23 PM

Link is dead, yo. What's your budget and ideal size?

Chocolate Hog
05-17-2010, 03:28 PM
Link is dead, yo. What's your budget and ideal size?

Seven to Eight hundred. No smaller than Forty Two inches.

Cave Johnson
05-17-2010, 03:43 PM

Seven to Eight hundred. No smaller than Forty Two inches.

As Metro and others alluded to earlier, a 50" Panasonic plasma is the best bang for your buck in that price range. Plasma offers great blacks and a proven technology.

Pants
05-17-2010, 04:17 PM
As Metro and others alluded to earlier, a 50" Panasonic plasma is the best bang for your buck in that price range. Plasma offers great blacks and a proven technology.

Yase, true blacks are a reality with plasma. Plus, you don't have to worry about refresh rates. Energy consumption is a motherfucker, though, so consider yourself warned.

Chocolate Hog
05-17-2010, 04:22 PM
Really? My other friend told me LCD was better than Plasma?

Chocolate Hog
05-17-2010, 04:25 PM
http://www.nfm.com/DetailsPage.aspx?ProductID=31426182

I might go with this

mikeyis4dcats.
05-17-2010, 09:45 PM

he was wrong.

KC native
05-17-2010, 10:42 PM

Go with the plasma. The colors on Plasma tv's are richer and more life like. The new LCD's are getting better but I still prefer the picture of a plasma.

BigMeatballDave
05-18-2010, 09:26 AM
Cant go wrong with Samsung either.

BigMeatballDave
05-18-2010, 09:30 AM
Really? My other friend told me LCD was better than Plasma?Its personal preference really. I do not care for the picture on LCD compared to my plasma.

BigMeatballDave
05-18-2010, 09:31 AM
Go with the plasma. The colors on Plasma tv's are richer and more life like. The new LCD's are getting better but I still prefer the picture of a plasma.LED trumps them all.

Pants
05-18-2010, 10:31 AM
LED trumps them all.

LED is still LCD, it's just a more energy efficient way to light it up. Plasma has the best picture unless you get top shelf LCDs. If your budget is $800, you go plasma. Pretty simple.

[Unless you're worried about energy costs, then you should probably go LCD]

Cave Johnson
05-18-2010, 11:10 AM
http://www.nfm.com/DetailsPage.aspx?ProductID=31426182

I might go with this

Why, other than the opinion of your friend, would you want a 42". You do know a 50 is 41.8% bigger, right.

DaneMcCloud
05-18-2010, 11:43 AM

Thoughts on this TV? Looking for something in this price range whatever is best to watch football on. Advice please and thanks.

Personally, I'd buy only LCD and from Costco. Costco doubles the manufacturer's warranty for free.

The most efficient LCD's are the LED LCD's but I don't think they've come down to your price range. I own four LCD's (ranging from 32" to 47"). Two are Vizio and two are the Sharp Aquos.

If I were to purchase again, I'd buy the Vizio each and every time because the picture quality is identical, yet they're several hundred less.

I wouldn't purchase a plasma because of the energy consumption (huge issue in SoCal because the A/C is on 6 months or more out of the year) and they generate a lot of heat (which relates to the energy issue). Plus, they're super heavy and bulky.

Miles
05-18-2010, 11:50 AM
I didn't realize plasma was worse for energy consumption. My XBR 40' LCD pretty much doubles as a space heater.

Miles
05-18-2010, 11:55 AM
Personally, I'd buy only LCD and from Costco. Costco doubles the manufacturer's warranty for free.

The most efficient LCD's are the LED LCD's but I don't think they've come down to your price range. I own four LCD's (ranging from 32" to 47"). Two are Vizio and two are the Sharp Aquos.

If I were to purchase again, I'd buy the Vizio each and every time because the picture quality is identical, yet they're several hundred less.

If I were not really critical of reference picture quality, the Costco/Sams Vizio's are a really great deal.

gblowfish
05-18-2010, 11:56 AM
I have a 50" Panasonic Plasma in the living room and a 38" (I think) Samsung LCD in the bedroom. I like both of them very much. The Samsung has some cool features, and you can hook your computer to it and use it as a big ass monitor. The picture on the Panasonic is excellent. I think both are very well made. Can't go wrong with either brand.

Cave Johnson
05-18-2010, 11:56 AM
I didn't realize plasma was worse for energy consumption. My XBR 40' LCD pretty much doubles as a space heater.

Like twice as bad. Still, I don't see an extra $30/year in energy costs as a meaningful difference.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:yviuSrHFfW0J:reviews.cnet.com/green-tech/tv-consumption-chart/+LCD+tv+and+energy+consumption&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Pants
05-18-2010, 11:59 AM
Yeah, plasma screens emit crazy heat and take up to 700kW/hr. I like the picture though, so oh well.

Miles
05-18-2010, 12:00 PM
Dane, I ask out of curiosity since you are someone in the industry. Why do you not have a great TV?

Pants
05-18-2010, 12:01 PM
I have a 50" Panasonic Plasma in the living room and a 38" (I think) Samsung LCD in the bedroom. I like both of them very much. The Samsung has some cool features, and you can hook your computer to it and use it as a big ass monitor. The picture on the Panasonic is excellent. I think both are very well made. Can't go wrong with either brand.

Yeah, my Viera can also double as a big ass monitor. It can also connect to the internet straight up to unlock a bunch of features. I don't use them, though, but some people can probably find it all useful. I'm sure your Panny can do the same. :)

Miles
05-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Yeah, plasma screens emit crazy heat and take up to 700kW/hr. I like the picture though, so oh well.

Damn, I thought my LCD was bad as a mini space heater. Still if you like the picture you are getting screw the few extra dollars to energy bill.

DaneMcCloud
05-18-2010, 12:12 PM
Dane, I ask out of curiosity since you are someone in the industry. Why do you not have a great TV?

A couple of reasons, actually. We don't have a media room in this house but if we did, I'd have an LCD multi-media projector.

In absence of that, I find brands like Vizio and Sharp to be just fine. I'm sure there's a better picture out there but seriously, there are times when watching sports or movies on these televisions where I just say to myself "Wow, this looks awesome!".

I guess I'm easy to please in that regard.

Pants
05-18-2010, 12:24 PM
A couple of reasons, actually. We don't have a media room in this house but if we did, I'd have an LCD multi-media projector.

In absence of that, I find brands like Vizio and Sharp to be just fine. I'm sure there's a better picture out there but seriously, there are times when watching sports or movies on these televisions where I just say to myself "Wow, this looks awesome!".

Dane, you're a ****ing baller. It's the principle. You need those 64"/0.5" hanging on your bathrooms' walls just for shits and giggles. WTF is your problem?

Miles
05-18-2010, 01:04 PM

If you don't have a home theater setup and are not overly critical about your A/V quality at home, you are completely fine with Vizio. A few of my friends have them and I am surprised how great they look for the price.

Chocolate Hog
06-01-2010, 06:16 PM
So I ended up getting this TV.

It's pretty badass and it was a good price. Thanks everyone for your help.

Chocolate Hog
06-01-2010, 06:20 PM
I know people said Panasonic was probably the best for plasma but I really liked the LG TV we have in the living room.

CoMoChief
06-01-2010, 06:51 PM
You aren't cool unless you get LED.

aturnis
06-01-2010, 11:39 PM
I know people said Panasonic was probably the best for plasma but I really liked the LG TV we have in the living room.

What's this "we" shit?

Chocolate Hog
06-02-2010, 03:04 AM
What's this "we" shit?

Me and my family.

BryanBusby
06-03-2010, 12:16 AM

I wouldn't purchase a plasma because of the energy consumption (huge issue in SoCal because the A/C is on 6 months or more out of the year) and they generate a lot of heat (which relates to the energy issue). Plus, they're super heavy and bulky.
Costco is a nice option, but I opted to just use my credit card that extended the warranty for free and got a better deal somewhere else instead.

Read this before you consider a Panasonic Plasma: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20001640-1.html

To be fair, I haven't heard any issues with the 2010 lineups. But for that price range, you'd likely be looking at a previous years model that could have this issue.

Before you get a plasma, you really should figure out the lighting situation in the room the TV it'd be in before you get one. Yeah newer plasmas have "anti-glare" stuff, but it's not a perfect fix.

You will get the most bang for your buck on your budget with a plasma over an LCD, but you really need to put some research in and be picky about what you end up buying.

Side note: I think Vizio got out of the plasma market. But if they still make them, stay the fuck away from them. Their LCD's are fine though.

Chocolate Hog
06-03-2010, 02:07 AM
The lighting in my room is great the picture and everything about the tv is great. I'm pleased with the purchase.