PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft I was worried about this. Our 4th round tightend better produce.

googlegoogle
05-17-2010, 07:09 PM
I know he will but still might have liked this guy.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2010/05/new_orleans_saints_rookie_jimm.html

http://whodatdish.com/2010/05/08/new-orleans-saints-te-jimmy-graham-making-big-impression-at-rookie-camp/

FD
05-17-2010, 07:20 PM
Wasn't there an article about Maoeki with the exact same headline from rookie camp?

Pasta Little Brioni
05-17-2010, 07:23 PM
Wasn't there an article about Maoeki with the exact same headline from rookie camp?

Somewhere on a Saints board the Maoeki article was posted ROFL

googlegoogle
05-17-2010, 07:27 PM
LMAO

Saccopoo
05-18-2010, 02:11 PM
I know he will but still might have liked this guy.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2010/05/new_orleans_saints_rookie_jimm.html

http://whodatdish.com/2010/05/08/new-orleans-saints-te-jimmy-graham-making-big-impression-at-rookie-camp/

The only problem that I have with them taking Moeaki when they did was that they traded up eight spots to do it while there were no less than five high quality tight ends still on the board (Dennis Pitta, Aaron Hernandez, Jimmy Graham, Tony Moeaki, Garrett Graham, Andrew Quarless). One of those guys, and probably Moeaki, would have been there when they picked at the top of the fourth, and then they could have used that fifth rounder on a number of solid players that they had a need for.

It's not Moeaki the player that I have an issue with, it's losing a draft pick in trading up for him when there were a lot of solid players at his position that would have been there when the Chiefs picked in the fourth. Getting a quality tight end is a good thing, but getting a quality tight end plus another player would have been better.

The Franchise
05-18-2010, 02:26 PM
1. He's a 3rd round pick.

2. It's from a rookie camp and Moeaki is a totally different type of TE.

DaWolf
05-18-2010, 02:37 PM
It's not Moeaki the player that I have an issue with, it's losing a draft pick in trading up for him when there were a lot of solid players at his position that would have been there when the Chiefs picked in the fourth. Getting a quality tight end is a good thing, but getting a quality tight end plus another player would have been better.

What I kept hearing is that they liked this guy because he was the most complete TE there, and can block well as well as receive, so they felt they could use him as an every down player. So while there may have been other TE's available, they may not have all had the qualities they wanted in the position, and offered the same versatility. Let's hope they're right, and let's hope Moeaki can stay healthy, because it's obviously a gamble...

ModSocks
05-18-2010, 02:42 PM
What I kept hearing is that they liked this guy because he was the most complete TE there, and can block well as well as receive, so they felt they could use him as an every down player. So while there may have been other TE's available, they may not have all had the qualities they wanted in the position, and offered the same versatility. Let's hope they're right, and let's hope Moeaki can stay healthy, because it's obviously a gamble...

Between Moeaki and Cottam, hopefully they can combine for a complete season.

Saccopoo
05-18-2010, 02:58 PM
1. He's a 3rd round pick.

2. It's from a rookie camp and Moeaki is a totally different type of TE.

Yeah, with Cottom and Pope both on the roster, I'm not sure if I really would be thrilled about another 7'5" TE that didn't know how to run routes or catch the ball.

Personally, I like what Baltimore did in the draft getting both Dickson and Pitta to work under and eventually supplant Todd Heap. (Pitta and Dickson were my #2 and #3 tight ends in this past draft behind Gresham.) Perhaps a little redundant in terms of what they offer, but they give the Ravens a lot of offensive options.

I'm excited to see what he can do once he gets on the field and see what the Chiefs do with him in terms of position and offensive contribution. The Pats and ND under Weis never really featured the TE spot (though Dan Graham had decent numbers at NE and Denver) nor did Haley at Arizona. (Fingers crossed to make sure that he stays on the field and injury free.) He's approximately Graham's size with the same type of physical attributes, so I think we'll see similar production out of Moeaki. Something like 325-350 yards a season, 3-4 touchdowns should be expected.

DeepSouth
05-18-2010, 03:08 PM
Were any of the rest of them captains of their college team like Maoeki ? That seemed to be the trend for this draft.

vailpass
05-18-2010, 03:11 PM
I think some of you are going to be very pleasantly surprised in what you see in Maoeki.

chiefzilla1501
05-18-2010, 03:53 PM
The only problem that I have with them taking Moeaki when they did was that they traded up eight spots to do it while there were no less than five high quality tight ends still on the board (Dennis Pitta, Aaron Hernandez, Jimmy Graham, Tony Moeaki, Garrett Graham, Andrew Quarless). One of those guys, and probably Moeaki, would have been there when they picked at the top of the fourth, and then they could have used that fifth rounder on a number of solid players that they had a need for.

Charlie Weis' offense prefers tight ends who can block and catch. Most of those guys can't block. I don't agree with trading up for him, but especially when we're talking about a guy like Jimmy Graham, why are we upset about passing on a tight end who isn't the right fit for the offense we're running?

OnTheWarpath15
05-18-2010, 04:02 PM
I think some of you are going to be very pleasantly surprised in what you see in Maoeki.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if he plays more than 10 games a year.

chiefzilla1501
05-18-2010, 04:17 PM
Yeah, with Cottom and Pope both on the roster, I'm not sure if I really would be thrilled about another 7'5" TE that didn't know how to run routes or catch the ball.

Personally, I like what Baltimore did in the draft getting both Dickson and Pitta to work under and eventually supplant Todd Heap. (Pitta and Dickson were my #2 and #3 tight ends in this past draft behind Gresham.) Perhaps a little redundant in terms of what they offer, but they give the Ravens a lot of offensive options.

I'm excited to see what he can do once he gets on the field and see what the Chiefs do with him in terms of position and offensive contribution. The Pats and ND under Weis never really featured the TE spot (though Dan Graham had decent numbers at NE and Denver) nor did Haley at Arizona. (Fingers crossed to make sure that he stays on the field and injury free.) He's approximately Graham's size with the same type of physical attributes, so I think we'll see similar production out of Moeaki. Something like 325-350 yards a season, 3-4 touchdowns should be expected.

I disagree entirely with the idea that Weis doesn't feature TEs. I think you're relying too heavily on numbers. Weis, in fact, LOVES double tight end sets and he values players that are exceptional blockers who can also serve as threats to the passing game. People are saying we should get a Todd Heap player like Dennis Pitta, but the guys Weis loves are the blocker/receivers like Christian Fauria and Daniel Graham. They were both outstanding blockers. I think it also says a lot that Fauria was a TD machine.

There's a reason for that. Weis loves to run multiple plays out of the same formation. If there's value in spreading the offense out, you can motion Graham wide in a spread set. If there's value in running the ball, you can almost line Graham up as an extra tackle. Or you can keep him in as a pass protector. Or you can just roll him out based on a mismatch. You put in a guy like Pitta or Graham, you know the Chiefs are passing it and that he's going to be a receiving option. I find it interesting that Ben Watson ended up being so disappointing (not a Weis pick)--it's because his main value was as an athletic receiver, not a multi-dimensional TE.

For the sake of Weis' offense, we want Daniel Graham, not Todd Heap or Chris Cooley.

vailpass
05-18-2010, 04:21 PM
I'll be pleasantly surprised if he plays more than 10 games a year.

That is the conventional line of thought.