PDA

View Full Version : Computers Windows 7 installation problem

Mr. Laz
05-18-2010, 01:17 PM
installing Windows 7 on a brand new hard drive

get up to the "enter key code" part of the installation and it says "this is an invalid key code" I do a double check on the package and try again. Error message again. Eventually i figure out that i screwed up and i am using a "upgrade version disk" so when it says "invalid Key code" it really means "didn't find a previous version of windows" :banghead:

ok ... so i get the window xp disk out to install it first so i can then upgrade it to windows 7. Stupid and a pain but whatever.

so i start the window xp installation up and when it get to the part about "starting window" where it switch from the disk to the hard drive to finish the installation i get a BSOD "unmountable boot volume" error.

Apparently the incomplete installation of windows 7 has screwed up the boot sector of the hard drive so i can't install windows xp.

i try a low level format but that doesn't do any good.

any suggestions?

tymania
05-18-2010, 01:21 PM
try running check disk.. here is a KB article on how to do so..
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555302

SLAG
05-18-2010, 05:44 PM
Your first installation of windows 7 from the upgrade disk would have worked just fine

See if you can format and clean install windows 7 from the upgrade disk again
Then use the registry edit found here to activate

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp

Fish
05-18-2010, 05:47 PM
You might try an install like this: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/10/27/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-and-product-key-on-formatted-or-empty-blank-hard-drive/

Mr. Laz
05-18-2010, 05:55 PM
Your first installation of windows 7 from the upgrade disk would have worked just fine

See if you can format and clean install windows 7 from the upgrade disk again
Then use the registry edit found here to activate

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp
but windows wouldn't even finish installing ... it said invalid key code in the middle of the installation.

i re-entered the dam code off the package 10 times ... changing 6's to G's and 8's to B's just to make sure i was reading it right.

i looked up online at the microsoft site and it said that if you get "invalid key" it means 1 of 3 things.

==========================
1. You might have mistyped your product key. Try retyping it
2. You might be using a product key that doesn't match the version of
3. Windows 7 that's installed on your computer. Check the product key to make sure it is for the version that you are trying to activate. the product key is for an upgrade version of Windows 7 and a previous version of Windows wasn't on your computer when Windows 7 was installed. To install an upgrade version of Windows 7, Windows Vista or Windows XP must be installed on your computer. If you formatted the drive before starting the installation process, you won't be able to use the upgrade product key to activate Windows 7.
===============

SLAG
05-18-2010, 06:29 PM
but windows wouldn't even finish installing ... it said invalid key code in the middle of the installation.

i re-entered the dam code off the package 10 times ... changing 6's to G's and 8's to B's just to make sure i was reading it right.

i looked up online at the microsoft site and it said that if you get "invalid key" it means 1 of 3 things.

==========================
1. You might have mistyped your product key. Try retyping it
2. You might be using a product key that doesn't match the version of
3. Windows 7 that's installed on your computer. Check the product key to make sure it is for the version that you are trying to activate. the product key is for an upgrade version of Windows 7 and a previous version of Windows wasn't on your computer when Windows 7 was installed. To install an upgrade version of Windows 7, Windows Vista or Windows XP must be installed on your computer. If you formatted the drive before starting the installation process, you won't be able to use the upgrade product key to activate Windows 7.
===============

Just hit cancel or enter no key - it will finish installing then do the registry edit then activate

Mr. Laz
05-18-2010, 06:44 PM
Just hit cancel or enter no key - it will finish installing then do the registry edit then activate
dang ... didn't know that

thanks

Mr. Laz
05-19-2010, 07:15 PM
finally got it to work for anyone else going through it

like Slag said "don't enter a key at all while installing, just hit hit next on the key screen"
btw you should probably uncheck "automatically activate as soon as online" for convenience purposes.

then i tried on the other things on Slag's link but they didn't work for me.

regular install and hope it goes through ... didn't work
regular install with registry tweak ... didn't work
double install (where you install upgrade 7 over upgrade 7 to trick it) ... didn't work

finally i just went to the activation screen to the "automated phone activation" followed the instruction and entered the numbers the computer voice gave me and it activated fine without having to talk to anyone. Took less than 5 minutes.