PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV All 6 Star Wars Movies

dpg4zombie
05-20-2010, 08:13 AM
My FiancÚ agreed to watch all 6 Star Wars movies with me this last weekend. We are getting married June 19th and have been together for 4 years. During our relationship i have given her endless crap for never seeing any of them. So last weekend out of the blue she said " I want to watch the movies " She actually enjoyed them. I think she was interested in the political aspect of them since she's a poli sci major. What are your ladies thoughts on the movies?

Bane
05-20-2010, 08:25 AM
My wife likes them all.She cried when Padme died.....

keg in kc
05-20-2010, 08:36 AM
My wife likes them all.She cried when Padme died.....I cried through all of the prequels.

It was difficult watching one of my favorite movie trilogies be violently gang-raped.

Dayze
05-20-2010, 08:36 AM
< has never seent any of them.

Deberg_1990
05-20-2010, 09:26 AM
I cried through all of the prequels.

It was difficult watching one of my favorite movie trilogies be violently gang-raped.

Good grief...they are not quite that bad. Still loaded with plenty of Jedi a$$ kicking goodness.

I actually enjoy watching them. Not as much as the originals though.

As for the opening question...no, my wife couldnt care less about Star Wars or the movies. I did manage to drag her to the last one in the theater.

Question for the thread starter....did you show your wife the original trilogy first? Or did she watch them in order? I would think you would spoil the fun of the Empire cliffhanger if you watched them in order??

dpg4zombie
05-20-2010, 09:45 AM
Good grief...they are not quite that bad. Still loaded with plenty of Jedi a$$ kicking goodness.

I actually enjoy watching them. Not as much as the originals though.

As for the opening question...no, my wife couldnt care less about Star Wars or the movies. I did manage to drag her to the last one in the theater.

Question for the thread starter....did you show your wife the original trilogy first? Or did she watch them in order? I would think you would spoil the fun of the Empire cliffhanger if you watched them in order??

I had this delima when we started them. I saw both points. But i decided to go 1-6 in that order. This way she would stay more interested with the story and not be confused. I wish i could have done it the other way though. But the risk was to high of losing her interest...

Pestilence
05-20-2010, 09:49 AM
My wife has never been into Star Wars. She loves the Lord of the Rings movies though.

blaise
05-20-2010, 09:52 AM
I think the dialogue in the most recent three (episodes 1,2 and 3 I guess) is so bad that it borders on comical at points.

dpg4zombie
05-20-2010, 09:56 AM
I think the problem the new ones had was poor casting especially with hayden christensen as anakin skywalker. That's what made it hard to watch for me. Althought 3 was much better than 1 & 2.

I wish i could but i dont think she will watch Lord of the Rings. Dont know why though.

keg in kc
05-20-2010, 10:04 AM
Good grief...they are not quite that bad. Still loaded with plenty of Jedi a$$ kicking goodness.That's your opinion, and you're welcome to it. My opinion is that they were horrible and have absolutely no redeeming qualities outside of a couple of fight sequences. They don't have any of the heart of the original trilogy, they don't contain any of the essence of the original trilogy, they're the cheap plastic rip-offs, shiny but completely empty shells of what they could have been. I wish he'd never made them. The most hilarious part is that not one but now two cartoon network animated series have completely blown them out of the water.

Taco John
05-20-2010, 10:40 AM
My FiancÚ agreed to watch all 6 Star Wars movies with me this last weekend. We are getting married June 19th and have been together for 4 years. During our relationship i have given her endless crap for never seeing any of them. So last weekend out of the blue she said " I want to watch the movies " She actually enjoyed them. I think she was interested in the political aspect of them since she's a poli sci major. What are your ladies thoughts on the movies?

This happened with me and my wife a few years ago. I, too, love the political aspect of the show - not to mention the engineering and even the spiritual. After seeing all six of the movies, my wife is now a fan of the show and even watches Clone Wars with me - and really enjoys them.

Taco John
05-20-2010, 10:42 AM

Have you read Revenge of the Sith yet? Read the book. It will capture your imagination and help replace the damage that Episode I and II did (though I have to admit, I'm in the group that actually enjoyed Episode II).

Taco John
05-20-2010, 10:43 AM
That's your opinion, and you're welcome to it. My opinion is that they were horrible and have absolutely no redeeming qualities outside of a couple of fight sequences. They don't have any of the heart of the original trilogy, they don't contain any of the essence of the original trilogy, they're the cheap plastic rip-offs, shiny but completely empty shells of what they could have been. I wish he'd never made them. The most hilarious part is that not one but now two cartoon network animated series have completely blown them out of the water.

There's a rumor floating around that Lucas wants to redo the entire six movies using the Clone Wars animation engine.

Taco John
05-20-2010, 10:44 AM
I think the problem the new ones had was poor casting especially with hayden christensen as anakin skywalker. That's what made it hard to watch for me. Althought 3 was much better than 1 & 2.

I wish i could but i dont think she will watch Lord of the Rings. Dont know why though.

I didn't think Hayden was a terrible choice. I just think Lucas's directing absolutely sucked. I believe Hayden could have pulled it off if Lucas had any idea how to direct.

Deberg_1990
05-20-2010, 10:49 AM
I didn't think Hayden was a terrible choice. I just think Lucas's directing absolutely sucked. I believe Hayden could have pulled it off if Lucas had any idea how to direct.

No..i think Hayden is just a bad actor. He has been bad in everything ive ever seen him in.

blaise
05-20-2010, 10:58 AM
No..i think Hayden is just a bad actor. He has been bad in everything ive ever seen him in.

I thought he was pretty good in Shattered Glass. The movie about the kid that worked at a magazine and fabricated stories.

Bowser
05-20-2010, 11:01 AM
I didn't think Hayden was a terrible choice. I just think Lucas's directing absolutely sucked. I believe Hayden could have pulled it off if Lucas had any idea how to direct.The scene in Episode II where Anakin and Padme are in a field confessing their love is just....gutwrenchingly....awful. Like the pits of Hell awful.

kaplin42
05-20-2010, 11:02 AM
There's a rumor floating around that Lucas wants to redo the entire six movies using the Clone Wars animation engine.

While I don't particularly enjoy the animation style of the clone wars, I do very much enjoy the show, and would be very interested in seeing a remake of the 6 movies in this animated form. I bet a lot more could actually be done with the series too.

Fire Me Boy!
05-20-2010, 11:05 AM
Did you watch them 1-6, or 4-6 and 1-3?

Bowser
05-20-2010, 11:10 AM
There's a rumor floating around that Lucas wants to redo the entire six movies using the Clone Wars animation engine.Just my own personal fanboy rant -

George needs to move the hell on. I understand the thought process of trying to milk a cow, and do it in a form that kids of today will like, and thus want to follow for years to come, but come on, man. Move the story on. Do the Thrawn story. Do the Jedi Academy story. Do SOMETHING that the fans you created three decades back can look forward to, not just polishing off your old stories. You'd think that somebody somewhere would be in Lucas' ear trying to explain what a cash cow he's leaving on the table, not to mention the legacy he could create by furthering the Star Wars storyline. [/end]

DaneMcCloud
05-20-2010, 11:38 AM

LMAO

Hayden Christensen sucks and sucked the life out of the prequels.

I met him back in 2005, just before the release of ROTS. A director friend of mine asked "Is he unconvincing as himself?".

LMAO

You have very poor taste.

Tribal Warfare
05-20-2010, 11:44 AM
LMAO

Hayden Christensen sucks and sucked the life out of the prequels.

I met him back in 2005, just before the release of ROTS. A director friend of mine asked "Is he unconvincing as himself?".

LMAO

You have very poor taste.

Besides his shitty acting chops, he didn't have the physical stature( presence) that Vader had too. The guy was suppose to be the messiah of the force, not some extra from 7th Heaven.

Douche Baggins
05-20-2010, 11:56 AM
Once again, Hayden was very good in Life as a House and Shattered Glass.

Lucas can't direct his way out of a paper bag.

blaise
05-20-2010, 12:00 PM
Hayden did poorly as Anakin, but Lucas didn't help him out. The interactions between all the actors was clunky and awkward. The way Obi Wan would talk like "My young apprentice...." So much of the dialogue is just cornball crap.

DaneMcCloud
05-20-2010, 12:03 PM

What? He was the same whiny, weaselly kid.

He was exactly the same in "Jumper", which was an otherwise excellent movie and concept.

Demonpenz
05-20-2010, 12:09 PM
why would lucas go in a paper bag in the first place

Swanman
05-20-2010, 12:26 PM

Here is where I wish Lucas would stop his "star wars ended after Return of the Jedi" schtick. The animation engine would be perfect for making something like the Thrawn trilogy into movies. The X-Wing series would be good too. Actually, there are any number of good Star Wars books from the expanded universe that would make kickass animated movies.

kaplin42
05-20-2010, 12:39 PM
Here is where I wish Lucas would stop his "star wars ended after Return of the Jedi" schtick. The animation engine would be perfect for making something like the Thrawn trilogy into movies. The X-Wing series would be good too. Actually, there are any number of good Star Wars books from the expanded universe that would make kickass animated movies.

Now my interest is peeked. What is a good series of the "Expanded Star Wars Universe". I have heard tale of episodes 7-9? Whats the Thrawn Series, or the Jedi Academy (other than an awesome video game).

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

To add, I think with a lot of the Star Wars the Old Republic story lines could make excellent movies as well. And it provides a way to break away from the Skywalker characters / story lines.

Douche Baggins
05-20-2010, 12:44 PM
Read Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising and The Last Command by Timothy Zahn.

That is the "Thrawn series," wherein the New Republic mops up the remnants of the Empire following ROTJ. Ripping good yarn.

Avoid New Jedi Order trash.

Anything by Kevin J. Anderson (Jedi Academy series) is passable. Darksaber is pretty entertaining, so are Tales from Jabbas Palace and Tales of the Bounty Hunters...and Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina.

I personally love the Boba Fett trilogy by KW Jeter....lots of cool crimeworld stuff going on, explains how Fett survived the Sarlacc, etc.

Oh, and Shadows of the Empire is pretty awesome. Set between ESB and ROTJ. Xizor is incredibly cool.

Michael A. Stackpole (http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/17739.Michael_A_Stackpole) writes pretty good stuff, too. Mostly about X-Wing pilots, I think.

Fire Me Boy!
05-20-2010, 12:49 PM

Agreed.

kaplin42
05-20-2010, 01:08 PM
Read Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising and The Last Command by Timothy Zahn.

That is the "Thrawn series," wherein the New Republic mops up the remnants of the Empire following ROTJ. Ripping good yarn.

Avoid New Jedi Order trash.

Anything by Kevin J. Anderson (Jedi Academy series) is passable. Darksaber is pretty entertaining, so are Tales from Jabbas Palace and Tales of the Bounty Hunters...and Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina.

I personally love the Boba Fett trilogy by KW Jeter....lots of cool crimeworld stuff going on, explains how Fett survived the Sarlacc, etc.

Oh, and Shadows of the Empire is pretty awesome. Set between ESB and ROTJ. Xizor is incredibly cool.

Michael A. Stackpole (http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/17739.Michael_A_Stackpole) writes pretty good stuff, too. Mostly about X-Wing pilots, I think.

Thanks man!

Swanman
05-20-2010, 01:10 PM
Now my interest is peeked. What is a good series of the "Expanded Star Wars Universe". I have heard tale of episodes 7-9? Whats the Thrawn Series, or the Jedi Academy (other than an awesome video game).

To add, I think with a lot of the Star Wars the Old Republic story lines could make excellent movies as well. And it provides a way to break away from the Skywalker characters / story lines.

I have read 40-50 Star Wars books. As everyone else says, the Thrawn trilogy rules. Here are some others:

Darth Bane Trilogy - set way before the movies, like a thousand years
X-Wing Series - 9 part series featuring Wedge Antilles that starts soon after Jedi and goes alll the way up through the timeline of the Thrawn trilogy (the books actually intersect at one point)
Republic Commando series - takes place during the Clone Wars and shows the human side of a number of clones, great books. All written by Karen Traviss, who is less heavy on the sci fi stuff and heavier on the human interactions

Some other one-off books that I liked - Allegiance, Outbound Flight, Survivors Quest, Darth Maul-Shadow Hunter, Medstar 1 and 2

Douche Baggins
05-20-2010, 01:10 PM
No problem. If you like comic books, pick up the Dark Empire graphic novel. Must read. Dark Empire II is OK.

Mile High Mania
05-20-2010, 01:19 PM

I don't know if you've seen this, but you would love it... you have to watch all 7, it will take about an hour. Greatness.

<object width="480" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FxKtZmQgxrI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>

kaplin42
05-20-2010, 01:24 PM
No problem. If you like comic books, pick up the Dark Empire graphic novel. Must read. Dark Empire II is OK.

Was more thinking of books on CD. I love listening to books while sitting in traffic on the way to / from work.

Douche Baggins
05-20-2010, 01:27 PM
Was more thinking of books on CD. I love listening to books while sitting in traffic on the way to / from work.

Even better:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1565112008/speculativeficti

kysirsoze
05-20-2010, 01:35 PM
I think that Lucas has so much money and power at this point that he is incapable of making a good film. IMO the only reason the original trilogy was good, was because he had talented people checking him constantly and a studio looking over his shoulder. With the new trilogy, he got everything he wanted and they were horrible. ROTS was an improvement but still lacked soul or really any interesting conflict since the first two didn't do anything to make me care about anyone involved.

bowener
05-20-2010, 01:51 PM
My wife likes them all.She cried when Padme died.....

I cried, but because of Hayden Christensen's acting.

keg in kc
05-20-2010, 02:06 PM
Even better:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1565112008/speculativefictiWeird. I was digging through some old shit a couple weeks back and found old abridged versions of Dark Empire and Dark Empire 2 on cassette, about to convert them to mp3. Along with all 13 parts of the (awesome) original BBC radio play of The Lord of the Rings.

DaneMcCloud
05-20-2010, 02:10 PM
I think that Lucas has so much money and power at this point that he is incapable of making a good film. IMO the only reason the original trilogy was good, was because he had talented people checking him constantly and a studio looking over his shoulder.

He didn't have a studio "looking" over his shoulder. Star Wars was independently financed by Lucas from his profits from "American Graffiti".

As a matter of fact, he literally saved 20th Century Fox from extinction.

With the new trilogy, he got everything he wanted and they were horrible. ROTS was an improvement but still lacked soul or really any interesting conflict since the first two didn't do anything to make me care about anyone involved.

I like "TPM" quite a bit. Where he screwed up was casting Hayden Christensen and listening to internet chatter, resulting in a horrible "Attack of the Clones". ROTS was better but would have been far better with a different actor as Anakin.

If DiCaprio wouldn't have demanded creative input, he would have made an amazing Anakin, even with the same script.

FWIW, the voice actors in the Clone Wars series are better than any of the actors (save Liam Neeson and maybe Ewan) from the movies.

Deberg_1990
05-20-2010, 02:48 PM
I like "TPM" quite a bit. Where he screwed up was casting Hayden Christensen and listening to internet chatter, resulting in a horrible "Attack of the Clones". ROTS was better but would have been far better with a different actor as Anakin.

If DiCaprio wouldn't have demanded creative input, he would have made an amazing Anakin, even with the same script.

FWIW, the voice actors in the Clone Wars series are better than any of the actors (save Liam Neeson and maybe Ewan) from the movies.

Agreed. I like TPM as well and Episode III was really strong overall except for Hayden.

AOTC, was the weakest....too much exposition/love story in the middle.....but the Obi-Wan/Jango Fett and Jedi Vs. Count Dooku fighting was cool.

HOnestly, I think Lucas was slightly flawed...Im not a big fan of going backwards with backstory and filling in the gaps for every single character.

I would have prefered a story set after the original movies.

Silock
05-20-2010, 02:52 PM
I think my wife loves Star Wars more than I do.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-20-2010, 02:57 PM

That's a quality woman right there.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-20-2010, 03:00 PM
He didn't have a studio "looking" over his shoulder. Star Wars was independently financed by Lucas from his profits from "American Graffiti".

As a matter of fact, he literally saved 20th Century Fox from extinction.

This.

Where he screwed up was casting Hayden Christensen. ROTS was better but would have been far better with a different actor as Anakin.

This.

Dear Fucking God NO.

DaneMcCloud
05-20-2010, 03:19 PM
Dear Fucking God NO.

You don't like DiCaprio as an actor?

The dude was tits in Gangs of New York and The Departed.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-20-2010, 03:25 PM
You don't like DiCaprio as an actor?

The dude was tits in Gangs of New York and The Departed.

I don't want the fucking retard from "Gilbert Grape" playing Darth Vader.

Ever. :harumph:

DaneMcCloud
05-20-2010, 03:29 PM
I don't want the fucking retard from "Gilbert Grape" playing Darth Vader.

Ever. :harumph:

Well, you got your wish.

But he's an amazing actor.

Taco John
05-20-2010, 03:43 PM
The scene in Episode II where Anakin and Padme are in a field confessing their love is just....gutwrenchingly....awful. Like the pits of Hell awful.

Nobody could have made that scene any better.

Taco John
05-20-2010, 03:55 PM

The Thrawn Trilogy sucked. I don't understand why people like it so much. There was like - one lightsaber fight in the entire trilogy. LAME!

Taco John
05-20-2010, 03:56 PM

Read Shatterpoint.

But before you read anything, read Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. This book is absolutely excellent and well worth the time invested. It truly is an under appreciated book.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-20-2010, 04:18 PM
Nobody could have made that scene any better.

Oh so true.

Well, you got your wish.

But he's an amazing actor.

He's good, and I really liked watching DDL smack him around in GONY, I just can't envision him as Anakin Skywalker.
I think Peter Parker's buddy gone-bad from Spiderman would have been a better choice.

Read Shatterpoint.

But before you read anything, read Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. This book is absolutely excellent and well worth the time invested. It truly is an under appreciated book.

Both excellent books. I'm reading through the 9 Legacy books right now.

DaneMcCloud
05-20-2010, 04:25 PM
He's good, and I really liked watching DDL smack him around in GONY, I just can't envision him as Anakin Skywalker.
I think Peter Parker's buddy gone-bad from Spiderman would have been a better choice.

James Franco? Hmm. Gotta disagree there. He's not too convincing as anything other than a stoner.

Joshua Jackson, Ryan Phillipe, Shane West and Colin Hanks were also up for the role of Anakin.

IMO, it should have gone to Shane West.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-20-2010, 04:29 PM
James Franco? Hmm. Gotta disagree there. He's not too convincing as anything other than a stoner.

Joshua Jackson, Ryan Phillipe, Shane West and Colin Hanks were also up for the role of Anakin.

I'll have to look those guys up and report back; Franco comes to mind because he has kind of that same manner and build, but he's definitely a better actor than Hayden.

Over-Head
05-20-2010, 04:38 PM
Done that with the wife, she was sick with some bug, so I popped in her movies and watched em with her

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-20-2010, 04:41 PM

No.

Maybe.

Good choice.

High Much?:Poke::evil:

DaneMcCloud
05-20-2010, 05:29 PM
No.

Maybe.

Good choice.

High Much?:Poke::evil:

I completely agree. What a weird choice by Lucas. I can't imagine it being nothing more than a favor to Hanks and Spielberg, especially at that point in time.

Colin Hanks has improved as an actor (Mad Men & BOB) but as Anakin?

No way.

Deberg_1990
05-20-2010, 06:40 PM

No
I can see it. He's decent
Maybe...he would have been better
Wtf? Worse than hayden
Posted via Mobile Device

notorious
05-20-2010, 08:23 PM
Take Hayden out of the prequels and they would have been completely different monsters.

He sucked elephant balls.

Douche Baggins
05-20-2010, 08:29 PM
Weird. I was digging through some old shit a couple weeks back and found old abridged versions of Dark Empire and Dark Empire 2 on cassette, about to convert them to mp3. Along with all 13 parts of the (awesome) original BBC radio play of The Lord of the Rings.

Found a torrent for this a couple weeks ago. Haven't listened to it yet but I LOVE Radio Dramas. The original trilogy radio dramas are great, and the lord of the rings radio drama is fantastic. Listen to them on long trips all the time.

Douche Baggins
05-20-2010, 08:30 PM
Take Lucas out of the prequels and they would have been completely different monsters.

He sucked elephant balls.

FYP

Lucas got Natalie Portman to turn in a shitty performance.

Think about that.

Natalie fucking Portman.

notorious
05-20-2010, 08:30 PM
Found a torrent for this a couple weeks ago. Haven't listened to it yet but I LOVE Radio Dramas. The original trilogy radio dramas are great, and the lord of the rings radio drama is fantastic. Listen to them on long trips all the time.

Don't forget, "A Star Wars Christmas"!

:Lin:

Douche Baggins
05-20-2010, 08:31 PM
I think my wife loves Star Wars more than I do.

God damn, marry her again.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-21-2010, 12:10 PM
FYP

Lucas got Natalie Portman to turn in a shitty performance.

Think about that.

Natalie fucking Portman.

LMAO

Swanman
05-21-2010, 12:20 PM
The Thrawn Trilogy sucked. I don't understand why people like it so much. There was like - one lightsaber fight in the entire trilogy. LAME!

My sarcasm meter did register a pretty high reading there, so hopefully you are kidding.

I am going through all of the Clone-Era books right now. Currently I am reading "Jedi Trial". It didn't get very good reviews but it's not too bad. But holy shit, is it bleak overall. Lots of the "good guys" getting blown to bits.

Here is a general question to all of the Star Wars dorks (myself obviously included): what is your favorite character from the movies or books? Just to make it interesting, you can't select Boba Fett. Mine is Kal Skirata, from the Republic Commando and Imperial Commando novels.

keg in kc
05-21-2010, 12:26 PM
I've always liked Kyle Katarn.

Mara Jade's always been a favorite, as well.

Although in the end I think my favorite would come down to Han or Luke, depending on the day.

Deberg_1990
05-21-2010, 12:33 PM
30th anniversary of the best Star Wars film: "Empire Strikes Back" today.

Lets all take a moment to pause and reflect.....

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-21-2010, 12:49 PM
Here is a general question to all of the Star Wars dorks (myself obviously included): what is your favorite character from the movies or books?

Bane. Bane is the fucking pinnacle of human achievement.

30th anniversary of the best Star Wars film: "Empire Strikes Back" today.

Lets all take a moment to pause and reflect.....

Reflecting...
reflecting...

Quite so.

Short Leash Hootie
05-21-2010, 01:07 PM
James Franco did play a damn good stoner...

Pineapple Express was a very entertaining movie...and I don't even smoke pot.

keg in kc
05-21-2010, 01:10 PM
They just signed him to play the lead human in the new Planet of the Apes prequel, Rise of the Apes.

Pants
05-21-2010, 01:57 PM
They just signed him to play the lead human in the new Planet of the Apes prequel, Rise of the Apes.

Franco or Hayden?

DaneMcCloud
05-21-2010, 02:04 PM
Franco or Hayden?

Thankfully, Franco

vailpass
05-21-2010, 02:21 PM

:LOL:

Taco John
05-21-2010, 02:24 PM
My sarcasm meter did register a pretty high reading there, so hopefully you are kidding.

I am going through all of the Clone-Era books right now. Currently I am reading "Jedi Trial". It didn't get very good reviews but it's not too bad. But holy shit, is it bleak overall. Lots of the "good guys" getting blown to bits.

Here is a general question to all of the Star Wars dorks (myself obviously included): what is your favorite character from the movies or books? Just to make it interesting, you can't select Boba Fett. Mine is Kal Skirata, from the Republic Commando and Imperial Commando novels.

No, dude. I'm serious. The Thrawn Trilogy is overrated. Even boring.

Taco John
05-21-2010, 02:29 PM

My favorite is easily Obi Wan.