PDA

View Full Version : Obama Dissing the Military by skipping Arlington.... Obama puts the final...

Chiefshrink
05-26-2010, 12:04 AM
NAIL IN HIS OWN POLTICAL COFFIN FOR A 2nd term. No President has ever missed the Arlington National Cemetary Memorial Day Services. Even in a time of War !!!:eek: Bumbling Joe in his place:rolleyes::shake:

Obama will use Memorial weekend for a trip home to Chicago
By Anne E. Kornblut
Washington Post

With the long Memorial Day weekend on the horizon, President Obama is finally addressing one of the great broken promises of his administration: his early pledge to return home to Chicago every six weeks or so.

In 16 months at the White House, the Obamas have been back home just once - in February of 2009. But they plan to make the trip over Memorial Day weekend, an official said. After arriving on Thursday night, they will visit with friends and participate in private events.

On Monday, Obama will make remarks at the Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery, south of Chicago - missing the usual tradition of presidents speaking at Arlington National Cemetery on Memorial Day.

Vice President Biden and his wife will appear in Obama's place, laying a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, as well as holding a breakfast for Gold Star families -- families whose loved ones died in military service -- at the White House earlier that day.

By Anne E. Kornblut | May 24, 2010; 7:00 PM ET

Silock
05-26-2010, 12:08 AM
Personally, I don't think this is a big deal. But, if I were the family of someone killed, I'd probably be a bit miffed.

Direckshun
05-26-2010, 12:30 AM
Please link your game changers.

The Mad Crapper
05-26-2010, 07:22 AM
Personally, I don't think this is a big deal. But, if I were the family of someone killed, I'd probably be a bit miffed.

Actually family members are probably happy Obastard won't be there.

healthpellets
05-26-2010, 08:01 AM
i really, really don't get the outrage here.

clearly, being surrounded by dead people and participating in some ceremony for dead people doesn't interest this President.

let's be honest, it probably hasn't really ever interested any President. they'd all rather be doing something else.

but instead of respecting this President for actually doing his own thing and not doing some ceremony he's not interested in, now everyone wants to crucify him. and for what?

think about all those times you sat in meetings at the office, one after another, just wasting time because you were expected to be there. how many times did you want to just get up, start walking toward the door, and say "if you actually need me for something, I'll be in my office being productive"?

maybe this President doesn't "respect" the military like you do. BFD. it's his belief, not your's. so don't go getting all offended at the thought of the President being different than you. just accept the fact that we all value different things in life.

Brock
05-26-2010, 08:05 AM
It was a tradition started by Lyndon Johnson, who gives a shit.

mlyonsd
05-26-2010, 08:06 AM
but instead of respecting this President for actually doing his own thing and not doing some ceremony he's not interested in, now everyone wants to crucify him. and for what?

Ok, that made me laugh.

blaise
05-26-2010, 08:10 AM

clearly, being surrounded by dead people and participating in some ceremony for dead people doesn't interest this President.

let's be honest, it probably hasn't really ever interested any President. they'd all rather be doing something else.

think about all those times you sat in meetings at the office, one after another, just wasting time because you were expected to be there. how many times did you want to just get up, start walking toward the door, and say "if you actually need me for something, I'll be in my office being productive"?

maybe this President doesn't "respect" the military like you do. BFD. it's his belief, not your's. so don't go getting all offended at the thought of the President being different than you. just accept the fact that we all value different things in life.

I don't think it's a big deal, but I think this is very poorly phrased. They're not just dead people, they're dead soldiers and he's Commander in Chief. It's not like it should just be another day. They call it Memorial Day for a reason. If he doesn't feel like he has to be at Arlington to honor the military, so be it, but it's not just another day where we happen to talk about some people that died if you're the President.
Maybe I missed it, were you being sarcastic?

morphius
05-26-2010, 08:14 AM
Hey dammit, there is golf to be played!

talastan
05-26-2010, 08:18 AM
maybe this President doesn't "respect" the military like you do. BFD.

This has to be one of the dumbest posts I've seen in a long time. I hope that the sarcasm meter was on. The President is the Commander in Chief of the military; so to say it means nothing for him to blow off the sacrifices of those who have died for this nation, some even under his own command, is an action that is very much disturbing IMO

healthpellets
05-26-2010, 08:28 AM
I don't think it's a big deal, but I think this is very poorly phrased. They're not just dead people, they're dead soldiers and he's Commander in Chief. It's not like it should just be another day. They call it Memorial Day for a reason. If he doesn't feel like he has to be at Arlington to honor the military, so be it, but it's not just another day where we happen to talk about some people that died if you're the President.
Maybe I missed it, were you being sarcastic?

fair enough. they are dead soliders. but to you that may mean something, but to him, it may not. but dead soliders are dead people. to some, a person that died doing their job is simply a person that died doing their job.

and who is the "they" that call it Memorial Day? IT'S JUST A FCUKING DAY. same as any other day. if you and others choose to attach importance to the last Monday in May, then so be it. and if that is the day on which you wish to honor those that have died in service to this country and otherwise, so be it.

but don't expect such a day to be sacred to everyone. Memorial Day could have been any day. just like Christmas could have been any day, or Easter could be any day. it's just another day that someone attaches importance to. but in reality, it's just another day. the sun will rise on Monday, and it will set. like any other day.

Brock
05-26-2010, 08:30 AM
fair enough. they are dead soliders. but to you that may mean something, but to him, it may not. but dead soliders are dead people. to some, a person that died doing their job is simply a person that died doing their job.

I don't care if he goes to the cemetery or not, but you're coming across like a moron here.

blaise
05-26-2010, 08:33 AM

and who is the "they" that call it Memorial Day? IT'S JUST A FCUKING DAY. same as any other day. if you and others choose to attach importance to the last Monday in May, then so be it. and if that is the day on which you wish to honor those that have died in service to this country and otherwise, so be it.

but don't expect such a day to be sacred to everyone. Memorial Day could have been any day. just like Christmas could have been any day, or Easter could be any day. it's just another day that someone attaches importance to. but in reality, it's just another day. the sun will rise on Monday, and it will set. like any other day.

I see. I will make a mental note of your post and screen name so I will not mistake jackassery for sarcasm in the future.

healthpellets
05-26-2010, 08:33 AM
This has to be one of the dumbest posts I've seen in a long time. I hope that the sarcasm meter was on. The President is the Commander in Chief of the military; so to say it means nothing for him to blow off the sacrifices of those who have died for this nation, some even under his own command, is an action that is very much disturbing IMO

maybe it does mean nothing to him. if so, live and learn.

it doesn't mean anything to me. i'm not losing any sleep over whether or not he shows up. it either confirms or disproves previously held opinions about the man. but there isn't anything i can do about it one way or the other. so it's not disturbing. to me, anyway.

healthpellets
05-26-2010, 08:39 AM
I don't care if he goes to the cemetery or not, but you're coming across like a moron here.

i disagree. but feel free to unpack that statement. i mean, i could see it if i was preaching about the existence Xenu and Apollo. but we're talking about stuff that's pretty easy to grasp.

it seems that talking about dead soliders is like talking about religion. you're just expected to nod your head and move along, without confronting any of the issues. be polite and move along. the discourse of the day.

blaise
05-26-2010, 08:46 AM
i disagree. but feel free to unpack that statement. i mean, i could see it if i was preaching about the existence Xenu and Apollo. but we're talking about stuff that's pretty easy to grasp.

it seems that talking about dead soliders is like talking about religion. you're just expected to nod your head and move along, without confronting any of the issues. be polite and move along. the discourse of the day.

Then I don't get your statement that you don't get why people are outraged. According to you people should be able to look at the situation and decide how important it is to them. You're telling other people that they should respect the level of importance Obama attaches to Memorial Day, but then criticizing people if they get upset. If you follow the same train of thought you yourself set forth you should understand that other people attach more importance to the day and react to what Obama did according to their beliefs. If you're saying that Obama can do what he wants regarding the day, then why do you care if other people react to it? Unless your talk of understanding other people's beliefs is just a bunch of crap and you're just constructing your statements in order to defend Obama.

Brock
05-26-2010, 08:48 AM

Yeah, uh huh, there's a certain level of decorum that's expected when talking about dead soldiers. I'm sorry your dad never taught you about that.

orange
05-26-2010, 09:00 AM
Does anybody even bother to READ anymore?

On Monday, Obama will make remarks at the Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery, south of Chicago - missing the usual tradition of presidents speaking at Arlington National Cemetery on Memorial Day.

The only thing he's "dissing" is D.C.

BigRedChief
05-26-2010, 09:02 AM
Does anybody even bother to READ anymore?

The only thing he's "dissing" is D.C.But, But, But.....its the final nail in his political coffin. :LOL:

blaise
05-26-2010, 09:03 AM
Actually, I think most people understood that he's attending a ceremony in Chicago.

orange
05-26-2010, 09:04 AM
Actually, I think most people understood that he's attending a ceremony in Chicago.

Really? You think so? Will there be dead soldiers there?

If so, WTF is this whole discussion about?

And THIS ridiculous statement - WTF was IT about?

blaise
05-26-2010, 09:06 AM

I think the majority of the posts in the thread are more related to healthpellets statements and not outrage at Obama. Quite frankly, the person that seems to be spazzing the most is you.

BigRedChief
05-26-2010, 09:06 AM
Yeah, uh huh, there's a certain level of decorum that's expected when talking about dead soldiers. I'm sorry your dad never taught you about that.I agree. You just don't go there with anything other than total respect.

Brock
05-26-2010, 09:09 AM

Read the thread.

stevieray
maybe this President doesn't "respect" the military like you do. BFD.

He's the CIC, if he doesn't respect the military, then he's a POSER.

orange
I think the majority of the posts in the thread are more related to healthpellets statements and not outrage at Obama. Quite frankly, the person that seems to be spazzing the most is you.

You're not spazzing - you're just joining in the idiot parade.

Will there be dead soldiers there?

blaise
05-26-2010, 09:10 AM

Hey shit for brains, it was in direct response to comments healthpellets wrote. So read the thread you imbecile.

stevieray
05-26-2010, 09:11 AM
Hey shit for brains, it was in direct response to comments healthpellets wrote. So read the thread you imbecile. agent orange...

orange
Read the thread.

I read the thread, dude. It's quite clear that NONE OF YOU happened to notice that Obama is in fact going to give a memorial address for soldiers. INCLUDING healthpellets.

Brock

:facepalm:

blaise
05-26-2010, 09:12 AM

Are you honestly this ****ing dumb? yes there will be dead soldiers there. Now show me why and how that's relevant to anything I said. I was speaking to healthpellets regarding his comments and not Obama's actions. I realize you like taking conversations in unneccesary tangents, but try hard to read the thread before you further embarass yourself, moron.

Brock
05-26-2010, 09:12 AM
I read the thread, dude. It's quite clear that NONE OF YOU happened to notice that Obama is in fact going to give a memorial address for soldiers.

You haven't read the thread, or you'd know that's not what the thread has been about.

Amnorix
05-26-2010, 09:14 AM
What is wrong with you people? Honestly, get over your hyper-paranoid lunatic fringe raving over every move the man makes.

This isn't the first, and no doubt won't be the last, time that a President isn't at Arlington on Memorial Day:

Right-wing media figures are suggesting (http://mediamatters.org/rd?to=http%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fewerickson%2Fstatus%2F14697019166) that President Obama's plan (http://mediamatters.org/rd?to=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fhostednews%2Fap%2Farticle%2FALeqM5jKztv1qNMp84JBBjR_YQiypmvyRAD9 FTET7O1) to participate in a Memorial Day event in Chicago and have Vice President Joe Biden lay a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Arlington National Cemetery is unprecedented and a sign of disrespect to the military. In fact, both Presidents Reagan and George H.W. Bush had representatives lay wreaths at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

Similarly, The Boston Globe reported that on Memorial Day in 1992, Vice President Dan Quayle laid a wreath at the tomb while Bush spoke to American Legion members in Kennebunkport, Maine, and played golf. From a May 26, 1992, Globe article:

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201005250034

orange
05-26-2010, 09:15 AM

It was a tradition started by Lyndon Johnson, who gives a shit.

blaise
05-26-2010, 09:15 AM

Yeah, no shit brainiac.

orange
05-26-2010, 09:17 AM
Yeah, no shit brainiac.

WHO'S HE BLOWING OFF, BRAINLESS?

for him to blow off the sacrifices of those who have died for this nation, some even under his own command, is an action that is very much disturbing IMO

Yep, not what this thread's about. LMAO

What is Mr. talastan very much disturbed about?

BigRedChief
05-26-2010, 09:17 AM
What is wrong with you people? Honestly, get over your hyper-paranoid lunatic fringe raving over every move the man makes.

This isn't the first, and no doubt won't be the last, time that a President isn't at Arlington on Memorial Day:

Right-wing media figures are suggesting (http://mediamatters.org/rd?to=http%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fewerickson%2Fstatus%2F14697019166) that President Obama's plan (http://mediamatters.org/rd?to=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fhostednews%2Fap%2Farticle%2FALeqM5jKztv1qNMp84JBBjR_YQiypmvyRAD9 FTET7O1) to participate in a Memorial Day event in Chicago and have Vice President Joe Biden lay a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Arlington National Cemetery is unprecedented and a sign of disrespect to the military. In fact, both Presidents Reagan and George H.W. Bush had representatives lay wreaths at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

Similarly, The Boston Globe reported that on Memorial Day in 1992, Vice President Dan Quayle laid a wreath at the tomb while Bush spoke to American Legion members in Kennebunkport, Maine, and played golf. From a May 26, 1992, Globe article:

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201005250034Reagan dissed the troops also? who knew?

But, its the final nail in his coffin. ROFL

blaise
05-26-2010, 09:19 AM

Why are you asking me, douchebag? I didn't type that. Clearly you came in, read very little of the thread and spazzed out and now you're trying not to admit you're a spaz. It's ok spaz.

orange
05-26-2010, 09:21 AM
Why are you asking me, douchebag? I didn't type that. Clearly you came in, read very little of the thread and spazzed out and now you're trying not to admit you're a spaz. It's ok spaz.

No, you typed THIS moronic string of dingleberry:

"They're not just dead people, they're dead soldiers and he's Commander in Chief. It's not like it should just be another day. They call it Memorial Day for a reason."

Your and idiot.

Are the dead soldiers in Illinois not dead soldiers?

blaise
05-26-2010, 09:22 AM
No, you typed THIS moronic string of dingleberry:

"They're not just dead people, they're dead soldiers and he's Commander in Chief. It's not like it should just be another day. They call it Memorial Day for a reason."

Your and idiot.

And? You disagree with that?

fan4ever
05-26-2010, 09:23 AM

There are a certain amount of people who care about such things and realize their significance; unfortunately they are becoming fewer an fewer...and it seems the President doesn't posses the honor to care enough either.

He's not missing this important tradition because of a peace summit or to go to the gulf to assess the environmental catastrophe...he's missing it for a personal agenda.

Disgraceful IMO.

orange
05-26-2010, 09:24 AM
And? You disagree with that?

AND SO YOU CONFIRM IT. You don't know what you're talking about.

Obama IS GIVING A MEMORIAL DAY SPEECH. AT A NATIONAL CEMETARY. FULL OF DEAD SOLDIERS.

It's happens to be the one in Illinois, not the one in Virginia.

Disgraceful IMO.

LMAO LMAO

blaise
05-26-2010, 09:28 AM
AND SO YOU CONFIRM IT.

Obama IS GIVING A MEMORIAL DAY SPEECH. AT A NATIONAL CEMETARY. FULL OF DEAD SOLDIERS.

It's happens to be the one in Illinois, not the one in Virginia.

Holy shit, you're a freaking idiot. I NEVER SAID OBAMA ISN'T HONORING THE SOLDIERS! I REPEAT, I NEVER SAID OBAMA ISN'T HONORING THE SOLDIERS! If you read the thread, if you actually read the comments, I was speaking to healthpellets, who claimed that no Commander in Chief needed to really make note of Memorial Day in any way. My comments were clearly in response to that statement. No one with a brain would see my comments as saying that Obama was not honoring the soldiers. The conversation was regarding Commander in Chiefs responsibility in honoring soldiers, and no where in any of my posts did I say Obama was dishonoring soldiers or failing to recognize the day.
You're either being disingenuous or a total and compleete idiot. It has to be one or the other.

blaise
05-26-2010, 09:29 AM
Honsetly, some third party give me an opinion. Were my comments really that hard to understand or is orange just being a total douche? I can't comprehend that he can be this dumb.

Amnorix
05-26-2010, 09:31 AM
There are a certain amount of people who care about such things and realize their significance; unfortunately they are becoming fewer an fewer...and it seems the President doesn't posses the honor to care enough either.

He's not missing this important tradition because of a peace summit or to go to the gulf to assess the environmental catastrophe...he's missing it for a personal agenda.

Disgraceful IMO.

Instead of addressing a speech on Memorial Day "in front of" dead soldiers in Arlington, Virginia, he's addressing a speech on Memorial Day "in front of" dead soldiers in Chicago.

Oh the humanity!! Woe to our nation, we are lost!

PunkinDrublic
05-26-2010, 09:34 AM
It doesn't suprise me that the bumper sticker patriots are outraged at this non story.

mlyonsd
05-26-2010, 09:37 AM
Honsetly, some third party give me an opinion. Were my comments really that hard to understand or is orange just being a total douche? I can't comprehend that he can be this dumb.

No, I understood them and what you meant. Not sure what orange's problem is today.

orange
05-26-2010, 09:39 AM

1). Did you say anything - before I posted - that indicates you knew he was going to give a speech? If I missed it, I'll apologize ... to you. Which brings us to...

2). I said "doesn't anybody read?" Are you the whole thread?

orange
05-26-2010, 09:40 AM
No, I understood them and what you meant. Not sure what orange's problem is today.

You also thought healthpellets was funny. Did the others just miss the joke? Or were you the one joking?

... anyway, you seemed to miss this joke:

"Dissing the Military by skipping Arlington"

Now THAT'S a riot!

blaise
05-26-2010, 09:44 AM
1). Did you say anything - before I posted - that indicates you knew he was going to give a speech? If I missed it, I'll apologize ... to you. Which brings us to...

2). I said "doesn't anybody read?" Are you the whole thread?

No, is 'anybody' one or two people, or are you just pompous enough to assume you were the only one who read that (which would be very strange considering your complete and total lack of reading comprehension regarding my post)? I didn't need to acknowledge that he was giving a speech because I had already stated that I didn't care.

talastan
05-26-2010, 09:50 AM

for him to blow off the sacrifices of those who have died for this nation, some even under his own command, is an action that is very much disturbing IMO

Yep, not what this thread's about. LMAO

What is Mr. talastan very much disturbed about?

I'm disturbed that he is breaking from tradition. The memorial is THE major military cemetary for the nation. It is very fitting the the Commander in Chief make an appearance IMO. Now whether you agree or not, that is your opinion; but some of us do care about tradition. Especially one that shows respect to those that have died for our freedoms. Is the appearance in Chicago a show of respect, yes, but it could be debated that it isn't as prominent of one as appearing in Arlington which many soldiers look towards and might interpret this as a slight.

dirk digler
05-26-2010, 09:55 AM
I'm disturbed that he is breaking from tradition. The memorial is THE major military cemetary for the nation. It is very fitting the the Commander in Chief make an appearance IMO. Now whether you agree or not, that is your opinion; but some of us do care about tradition. Especially one that shows respect to those that have died for our freedoms. Is the appearance in Chicago a show of respect, yes, but it could be debated that it isn't as prominent of one as appearing in Arlington.

I like this tradition too but apparently this one has been violated by other POTUS.

Also I can't really fault him he hasn't been back home in over 16 months and probably deserves a long weekend at home. I think we all do.

talastan
05-26-2010, 10:01 AM
I like this tradition too but apparently this one has been violated by other POTUS.

Also I can't really fault him he hasn't been back home in over 16 months and probably deserves a long weekend at home. I think we all do.

And I can see the reasoning, but again I think this is one of those "can't miss" events for a President IMO. Even those that haven't been there in the past should've been there IMO. Barring an emergency or medical issue, this is IMO a responsiblity and duty of the office that Obama holds.

mlyonsd
05-26-2010, 10:07 AM
You also thought healthpellets was funny. Did the others just miss the joke? Or were you the one joking?

... anyway, you seemed to miss this joke:
"Dissing the Military by skipping Arlington"
Now THAT'S a riot!

I thought it was funny he'd find it possible for any president to 'not be interested' in Memorial Day. But go ahead and keep posting like you're doing meth followed up with whiskey chasers.

Brock
05-26-2010, 10:11 AM
And I can see the reasoning, but again I think this is one of those "can't miss" events for a President IMO. Even those that haven't been there in the past should've been there IMO. Barring an emergency or medical issue, this is IMO a responsiblity and duty of the office that Obama holds.

What did the Presidents before LBJ do on memorial day?

Deberg_1990
05-26-2010, 10:16 AM
he hasn't been back home in over 16 months and probably deserves a long weekend at home. I think we all do.

Agreed, but hes the POTUS. He can pretty much take a vacation anytime he wants barring a world crisis.

He should be there at Arlington.

This guy has proven time and time again he doesnt mind breaking from tradition...hes an amateur.

HonestChieffan
05-26-2010, 10:19 AM
t was 1866 and the United States was recovering from the long and bloody Civil War between the North and the South. Surviving soldiers came home, some with missing limbs, and all with stories to tell. Henry Welles, a drugstore owner in Waterloo, New York, heard the stories and had an idea. He suggested that all the shops in town close for one day to honor the soldiers who were killed in the Civil War and were buried in the Waterloo cemetery. On the morning of May 5, the townspeople placed flowers, wreaths and crosses on the graves of the Northern soldiers in the cemetery. At about the same time, Retired Major General Jonathan A. Logan planned another ceremony, this time for the soldiers who survived the war. He led the veterans through town to the cemetery to decorate their comrades' graves with flags. It was not a happy celebration, but a memorial. The townspeople called it Decoration Day.

In Retired Major General Logan's proclamation of Memorial Day, he declared:

"The 30th of May, 1868, is designated for the purpose of strewing with flowers, or otherwise decorating the graves of comrades who died in defense of their country and during the late rebellion, and whose bodies now lie in almost every city, village and hamlet churchyard in the land. In this observance no form of ceremony is prescribed, but posts and comrades will in their own way arrange such fitting services and testimonials of respect as circumstances may permit."

The two ceremonies were joined in 1868, and northern states commemorated the day on May 30. The southern states commemorated their war dead on different days. Children read poems and sang civil war songs and veterans came to school wearing their medals and uniforms to tell students about the Civil War. Then the veterans marched through their home towns followed by the townspeople to the cemetery. They decorated graves and took photographs of soldiers next to American flags. Rifles were shot in the air as a salute to the northern soldiers who had given their lives to keep the United States together.

In 1882, the name was changed to Memorial Day and soldiers who had died in previous wars were honored as well. In the northern United States, it was designated a public holiday. In 1971, along with other holidays, President Richard Nixon declared Memorial Day a federal holiday on the last Monday in May.

Cities all around the United States hold their own ceremonies on the last Monday in May* to pay respect to the men and women who have died in wars or in the service of their country.

Memorial Day is not limited to honor only those Americans from the armed forces. It is also a day for personal remembrance. Families and individuals honor the memories of their loved ones who have died. Church services, visits to the cemetery, flowers on graves or even silent tribute mark the day with dignity and solemnity. It is a day of reflection. However, to many Americans the day also signals the beginning of summer with a three-day weekend to spend at the beach, in the mountains or at home relaxing.

In Waterloo, New York, the origin has not been lost and in fact the meaning has become even more special. President Lyndon Johnson proclaimed Waterloo the birthplace of Memorial Day in 1966, 100 years after the first commemoration. Every May 30, townspeople still walk to the cemeteries and hold memorial services. They decorate the graves with flags and flowers. Then they walk back to the park in the middle of town. In the middle of the park, near a monument dedicated to soldiers, sailors and marines, the Gettysburg address is read, followed by Retired Major General Logan's Order # 11 designating Decoration Day. The village choirs sing patriotic songs. In the evening, school children take part in a parade.

Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia is the nation's largest national cemetery. Not only are members of the armed forces buried here; astronauts, explorers and other distinguished Americans have all been honored with a special place here. President John F. Kennedy is buried in a spot overlooking Washington, D.C.

Here in the early hours of the Friday morning before Memorial Day, soldiers of the Third U.S. infantry walk along the rows of headstones. Each soldier stops at a headstone, reaches to a bundle of flags he is carrying, pulls one out and pushes it into the ground. These soldiers are part of a special regiment. the Old Guard. Most consider it a privilege to place flags on the more than two hundred thousand graves of soldiers who served in the wars or who died in them. "They have done their job," said one soldier, "and now it's my turn to do mine."

It is an equal honor to guard the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier all year. There are actually four soldiers buried in this spot: the unknown soldiers of the two World Wars, the Korean conflict, and the Vietnam War. Each soldier represents all of those who gave their lives in the modern wars. Soldiers from the Army's Third Infantry guard the tomb twenty-four hours a day. Wreath-laying ceremonies take place all through the year and people from all over the world come to watch the changing of the guard. On another hill of Arlington Cemetery there is a mass grave of unidentified soldiers from the Civil War.

On Memorial Day, the President or Vice President of the United States gives a speech and lays a wreath on the tombs. Members of the armed forces shoot a rifle salute in the air. Veterans and families come to lay their own wreaths and say prayers. There is a chance that one of the soldiers buried here is a father, son, brother or friend.

alpha_omega
05-26-2010, 10:27 AM

As long as he is doing something, i am good with that. If he wasn't doing anything, i would have a problem with that.

fan4ever
05-26-2010, 10:42 AM

I can't imagine the pressure of being the POTUS but in comparison I'd say he's getting his share of golf, basketball, vacations, and social events...considering what's on his table I'd say he's not been neglecting his fun time. :thumb:

fan4ever
05-26-2010, 10:44 AM
Instead of addressing a speech on Memorial Day "in front of" dead soldiers in Arlington, Virginia, he's addressing a speech on Memorial Day "in front of" dead soldiers in Chicago.

Oh the humanity!! Woe to our nation, we are lost!

Yeah, I said it was armageddon. :rolleyes:

blaise
05-26-2010, 10:47 AM
Yeah, I said it was armageddon. :rolleyes:

That seems to be the way. Someone is critical of Obama in some way and then someone comes in and goes, "OMG all you wingtards are flying off the handle!"

fan4ever
05-26-2010, 10:50 AM
That seems to be the way. Someone is critical of Obama in some way and then someone comes in and goes, "OMG all you wingtards are flying off the handle!

:thumb:

thecoffeeguy
05-26-2010, 10:51 AM
As long as he is doing something, i am good with that. If he wasn't doing anything, i would have a problem with that.

Just wait. Its only a matter of time.

HerculesRockefell
05-26-2010, 10:54 AM

Just because Reagan and H W Bush each missed it once, that's not a justification for Obama and both prior Presidents should not be given a pass either for missing it. Reagan was at least at an economic summit and working, but it was in Virginia so I wish he could have found a way to make it to Arlington. H W Bush was campaigning IIRC, and that's indefensible.

There are other weekends that he could have gone home if he really hasn't been to Chicago for 16 months. I'd be shocked if that was actually true also, I believe he's been home more than once since they moved into 1600 Penn Ave.

The tradition is two-fold, not just making a speech at Arlington like the author tries to say. The other part of the tradition, laying a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknowns which is barely mentioned in passing in the article, is the bigger deal for me.

thecoffeeguy
05-26-2010, 10:56 AM
Just because Reagan and H W Bush each missed it once, that's not a justification for Obama and both prior Presidents should not be given a pass either for missing it. Reagan was at least at an economic summit and working, but it was in Virginia so I wish he could have found a way to make it to Arlington. H W Bush was campaigning IIRC, and that's indefensible.

There are other weekends that he could have gone home if he really hasn't been to Chicago for 16 months. I'd be shocked if that was actually true also, I believe he's been home more than once since they moved into 1600 Penn Ave.

The tradition is two-fold, not just making a speech at Arlington like the author tries to say. The other part of the tradition, laying a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknowns which is barely mentioned in passing in the article, is the bigger deal for me.

You think he could have waited one more week to go home. Yet, he chooses to go home on this, important holiday weekend. Not a surprise. Another slap in the face to America and Old Glory.

Im sure Orange will be here quickly to defend Obama on this.

InChiefsHell
05-26-2010, 11:06 AM
To me, it just boils down to a stupid political move. I mean, if they can't anticipate the reaction ,they truly are stupid. But, he is going home for the weekend, is speaking at a national cemetery, and I just think there are many many other things to freak out about much more than this.

orange
05-26-2010, 11:10 AM
Im sure Orange will be here quickly to defend Obama on this.

I think the veterans buried in Illinois matter every bit as much as the veterans buried in Virginia.

And I don't think the country must revolve around D.C.

And I think that the right reflexively goes into apoplexy over Obama's every breath. They invent things every day to bitch about. And this is one of them.

Here's an example of INVENTING SHIT TO BITCH ABOUT right here:

As long as he is doing something, i am good with that. If he wasn't doing anything, i would have a problem with that.Just wait. Its only a matter of time.

It's "only a matter of time" until what, exactly?

You're welcome.

thecoffeeguy
05-26-2010, 11:21 AM

I think the veterans buried in Illinois matter every bit as much as the veterans buried in Virginia.

And I think that the right reflexively goes into apoplexy over Obama's every breath. They invent things every day to bitch about. And this is one of them.

You're welcome.

Told you so!

Obama's savior is here!

orange
05-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Told you so!

Don't twist your arm out of socket. Everyone here knows I don't turn down invitations.

Obama's savior is here!

And as always, you DODGED!

Amnorix
05-26-2010, 11:25 AM
I can't imagine the pressure of being the POTUS but in comparison I'd say he's getting his share of golf, basketball, vacations, and social events...considering what's on his table I'd say he's not been neglecting his fun time. :thumb:

For all you know Bush built origami boulders while Cheney ran the show.

PunkinDrublic
05-26-2010, 11:29 AM

You're welcome.

Yeah and if you point out their bullshit you're an Obamabot. Doesn't matter how many times you've legitimately criticized the president.

KC Dan
05-26-2010, 11:29 AM
This is faux outrage. He IS speaking at a National Cemetery that houses deceased veterans on Memorial Day. No issue unless Joey B. salutes with the wrong hand....

patteeu
05-26-2010, 11:35 AM
Reagan dissed the troops also? who knew?

But, its the final nail in his coffin. ROFL

Just FTR, the final nail in Reagan's coffin was inserted sometime in June of 2004. But before he died, he wrote something in his autobiography that Orange might find helpful:

It's important to distinguish between passion over a President's actions/inactions and passion over a poster's characterization of soldiers who gave their lives in defense of the country as "just dead people".

thecoffeeguy
05-26-2010, 11:36 AM
Don't twist your arm out of socket. Everyone here knows I don't turn down invitations.

Tell you what. I wont twist my arm, if you dont get your panties into a wad? Cool?

And as always, you DODGED!

If thats how you see it. I just prefer not to debate with liberals like yourself because it is like talking to a brick wall.

I dont know, but I am sure it will be something that demonizes this country.

The Mad Crapper
05-26-2010, 11:40 AM
If thats how you see it. I just prefer not to debate with liberals like yourself because it is like talking to a brick wall.

Liberals are dishonest. They have to be.

orange
05-26-2010, 11:42 AM
Just FTR, the final nail in Reagan's coffin was inserted sometime in June of 2004. But before he died, he wrote something in his autobiography that Orange might find helpful:

I remember that passage. It was just before this:

When becoming "outraged" or "deeply disturbed" or even "miffed" by a President, it is important to be "outraged" or "deeply disturbed" or even "miffed" by things he has actually said or done or not done rather than something you falsely assumed he wasn't doing.

The Mad Crapper
05-26-2010, 11:44 AM
That seems to be the way. Someone is critical of Obama in some way and then someone comes in and goes, "OMG all you wingtards are flying off the handle!"

Right, that's explained in the moonbat playbook: If calling someone a racist doesn't work, make fun of them and say things like "you are taking this out of proportion".

They get to be fish in the water after a while, these moonbats.

Chief Roundup
05-26-2010, 11:48 AM
I don't see what is wrong with him going home to spend memorial weekend at home with his family. Isn't that what we all try and do.

FishingRod
05-26-2010, 11:49 AM
Veterans , families of those that have died, and a number of other people are very sensitive to any perceived slight or disrespect shown to those that have died fighting for their country. I don't see this as the "final nail" in the coffin of this administration I just see it as politically inept.

orange
05-26-2010, 11:51 AM
Right, that's explained in the moonbat playbook: If calling someone a racist doesn't work, make fun of them and say things like "you are taking this out of proportion".

And in a thread with 76 posts + OP, not one of them having anything at all to do with race, expect a wingtard to cry that he's being called a racist.

That's the wingtard playbook.

patteeu
05-26-2010, 11:53 AM
I remember that passage. It was just before this:

There wasn't a single case of a poster being outraged by Obama's Memorial Day plans in the first 7 responses (up to and including blaise's response to healthpellets). The consensus appeared to be "meh, no big deal". But healthpellets' characterization did set off a bit of passion that was unrelated to Obama's activities. You seem to have missed that. Luckily, I'm here to help you sort it out. :p

orange
05-26-2010, 11:58 AM
There wasn't a single case of a poster being outraged by Obama's Memorial Day plans in the first 7 responses (up to and including blaise's response to healthpellets). The consensus appeared to be "meh, no big deal". But healthpellets' characterization did set off a bit of passion that was unrelated to Obama's activities. You seem to have missed that. Luckily, I'm here to help you sort it out. :p

Dissing the Military by skipping Arlington.... Obama puts the final... NAIL IN HIS OWN POLTICAL COFFIN FOR A 2nd term. No President has ever missed the Arlington National Cemetary Memorial Day Services. Even in a time of War !!!:eek: Bumbling Joe in his place:rolleyes::shake:

I guess you don't count post 0.

patteeu
05-26-2010, 12:15 PM
Dissing the Military by skipping Arlington.... Obama puts the final... NAIL IN HIS OWN POLTICAL COFFIN FOR A 2nd term. No President has ever missed the Arlington National Cemetary Memorial Day Services. Even in a time of War !!!:eek: Bumbling Joe in his place:rolleyes::shake:

I guess you don't count post 0.

That's right. The first seven responses are the first seven responses to the original post. We can all agree that the original post was critical of Obama.

Your first comment led off with "Does anybody even bother to READ anymore?". If you were specifically targeting sportsshrink and distinguishing him from nearly every other poster in the thread, I have to say that I think using the word "anybody" was an unclear way to do it.

blaise tried to make that point when he said "Actually, I think most people understood that he's attending a ceremony in Chicago." Whether he was right about that or not, it's a reasonable assumption since, again, there hadn't been much Obama outrage in the thread at that point.

orange
05-26-2010, 12:23 PM
i really, really don't get the outrage here...

Then I don't get your statement that you don't get why people are outraged...

I wonder what "outrage" they were discussing. :hmmm:

blaise tried to make that point when he said "Actually, I think most people understood that he's attending a ceremony in Chicago."

Which... while WRONG .... he said only in reaction to my post. Trying to get the horse back in the barn.

patteeu
05-26-2010, 12:29 PM

Which... while WRONG .... he said only in reaction to my post. Trying to get the horse back in the barn.

Apparently healthpellets was talking about sportshrink's outrage. blaise was clearly talking about healthpellets' statement. I think you're trying too hard here. It's OK to admit you just got carried away. It happens.

blaise
05-26-2010, 12:34 PM

You've been full or wrong in this thread with intentional or stupid mischaracterization of my posts, so I'm not sure where you get off. You tried to portray my response to healthpellet as me being angry at Obama even when it was abundantly clear to anyone with a brain that it wasn't the case. Then you compounded your mistake by acting like a douchebag. I used to think you were like KCNative because you used the stupid little emoticons and say things like "wingtard", but actually I can see you're worse. He's abrasive but I wouldn't say he's dishonest. You were either intentionally trying to mischaracterize what I said or you're just incredibly dumb. I choose to think you're just being fundementally dishonest, which isn't something I've seen KCNative do. You're not only an asshole, but you've shown that you're willing to be dishonest with your arguments as far as I'm concerned. I guess you're just too stubborn to admit you knew what I was trying to say, or, like I said , you're just stupid. It has to be one or the other.
Either way you've demonstrated that you're an asshole.

InChiefsHell
05-26-2010, 12:37 PM
Ah, the poop flinging on CP is just awesome...

orange
05-26-2010, 12:40 PM
Then I don't get your statement that you don't get 1 why people are outraged. According to you people should be able to look at the situation and decide how important it is to them. You're telling other people that 2 they should respect the level of importance Obama attaches to Memorial Day, but then criticizing people if they get upset. If you follow the same train of thought you yourself set forth you should understand that other 3 people attach more importance to the day and react to what Obama did according to their beliefs. If you're saying that Obama can do what he wants regarding the day, then why do you care if other people react to it? Unless your talk of understanding other people's beliefs is just a bunch of crap and you're just constructing your statements in order to 4 defend Obama.

1 - Why are people outraged?
2 - What level of importance does Obama attach to Memorial Day?
3 - What indicates that ANYONE attaches more importance to the day than Obama?
4 - Defend Obama against WHAT? What are the charges?

Save yourself some time. Here's the answer to all four:

I dont know, but I am sure it will be something that demonizes this country.

blaise
05-26-2010, 12:46 PM

Did I say Obama needed defense or that he did anything wrong? healthpellet used the term 'outrage' I responded. You're doing it again. Listen clearly- I never said Obama did anything wrong here. I discussed whether Commander in Chiefs in general have an obligation or a duty to recognize Memorial Day in any fashion. healthpellet said a President needn't recognize the day at all. I said that Memorial Day shouldn't be just another day to a President. The conversation was very clearly not pertaining to Obama, it was not even regarding whether or not a President should go to Arlington to recognize Memorial Day. The issue I was discussing with healthpellet was simply this: whether any President (not just Obama, but any President), should or should not recognize Memorial Day Why is that complicated? It's not, and you know that, and that's what leads me to believe that you are making a deliberate attempt to be a dishonest asshole.

orange
05-26-2010, 12:53 PM
... The conversation was very clearly not pertaining to Obama...

... Obama ... Obama ... Obama ... Obama.

LMAO

blaise
05-26-2010, 12:55 PM
LMAO

Tell you what, if even one person comes in here and says that my posts seemed to them to be angry at Obama for any of his reactions in this situation I'll cede my point. I'm going to guess you're the only douchebag that will be on that train.

orange
05-26-2010, 12:57 PM
Tell you what, if even one person comes in here and says that my posts seemed to them to be angry at Obama for any of his reactions in this situation I'll cede my point. I'm going to guess you're the only douchebag that will be on that train.

I never said you were angry about it... you were just ignorant like the people who's anger over nothing you were justifying, because you believed the same nothing.

CoMoChief
05-26-2010, 12:57 PM
If he wasn't such a horses' ass, he would attend the ceremony then fly back to Chicago and do whatever he was planning on.

RJ
05-26-2010, 12:58 PM
I read that Obama wouldn't be attending any Memorial Day services at all and would instead be spending the weekend on his couch watching the Twilight Zone Marathon on the syfy channel.

fan4ever
05-26-2010, 01:00 PM
For all you know Bush built origami boulders while Cheney ran the show.

George Bush; total moron / evil genius. The left needs to pick one or the other.

blaise
05-26-2010, 01:00 PM
I never said you were angry about it... you were just ignorant like the people who's anger over nothing you were justifying, because you believed the same nothing.

Again, you're dumb. I was saying to healthpellet that if he expects other people to accept Obama's views (his contention, not mine, was that Obama probably didn't care about the day that much) then he should respect that other people have a different view. My point was you can't say, "respect this guy's view, but I don't respect your right to be angry."
Ignorant? It's been like talking to a damn toddler with you in this thread.

blaise
05-26-2010, 01:02 PM
I read that Obama wouldn't be attending any Memorial Day services at all and would instead be spending the weekend on his couch watching the Twilight Zone Marathon on the syfy channel.

I love the Twilight Zone. I especially like the one where they bet he guy he can't talk for a year, and he does it. Then he reveals he had his vocal cords severed. However, it is then revealed that the guy who bet him blew all his money. So, the dude severed his vocal cords for nothing.

Iowanian
05-26-2010, 01:08 PM
Get off his back, it's not like his bribes are going to pay themselves!

Who cares about honoring the fallen soldiers at Arlington when the president can catch
a game at his life long favorite baseball team the Chicago WhiteCubs.

Brock
05-26-2010, 01:23 PM
I love the Twilight Zone. I especially like the one where they bet he guy he can't talk for a year, and he does it. Then he reveals he had his vocal cords severed. However, it is then revealed that the guy who bet him blew all his money. So, the dude severed his vocal cords for nothing.

Isn't it ironic?

RaiderH8r
05-26-2010, 01:28 PM
Isn't it ironic?

like rain on your wedding day.

Barret
05-26-2010, 01:48 PM
Each soldier represents all of those who gave their lives in the modern wars. Soldiers from the Army's Third Infantry guard the tomb twenty-four hours a day. Wreath-laying ceremonies take place all through the year and people from all over the world come to watch the changing of the guard. On another hill of Arlington Cemetery there is a mass grave of unidentified soldiers from the Civil War.

I wanted to quote this portion of HonestChieffan as an example of why there might be an issue with the Presidents decision. In the above quote the 4 Unknown soldiers "represent" ALL of those soldiers and sailors that gave their lives in all the wars we have been in. If you are looking at symbolism of an event, would laying a wreath at a cemetery that represented all soldiers and sailors that died be of higher importance then a national cemetery in your home state?

So you have the symbolism of the event and then add in the perceived notion of a president that is not military friendly. Mix in the "I am going home for vacation and will talk at a local Chicago cemetery" which may seem either lazy or disingenuous to some people and all this gets into what many may say is blown out of proportion.

I am retired Navy and I personally feel that the guy who was commanding me and possibly making a decision that could have sent me to my death for my country would show respect to ALL the soldiers, sailors and airmen who have given the ultimate sacrifice, not just those that are in his old voting district close to his vacation spot.

Now let me set this straight, since you have brought up that Reagan and Bush did this then they should have been brought to the carpet as well.

ClevelandBronco
05-26-2010, 01:56 PM

I truly can't figure out if you're being serious.

ClevelandBronco
05-26-2010, 01:59 PM

I still can't tell.

Dr. Van Halen
05-26-2010, 01:59 PM

Who cares about honoring the fallen soldiers at Arlington when the president can catch

Ha!

KC Dan
05-26-2010, 02:08 PM

Save yourself some time. Here's the answer to all four:
1. don't know, no logical reason
2. I'm sure he places a high amount of importance. He hasn't proved otherwise
3. nothing
4. nothing, none

this is a stupid thread. there i said it

banyon
05-26-2010, 02:32 PM
George Bush; total moron / evil genius. The left needs to pick one or the other.

That's not a difficult choice.

HerculesRockefell
05-26-2010, 02:34 PM
There are few "ceremonial" things that a President does as C-in-C. One of those is laying a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknowns on Memorial Day. People absolutely have the right to be upset when it appears the only reason Obama isn't there is because he wanted to go back to Chicago for a weekend. That's not an excuse for a President to make on Memorial Day.

So yes, there is a logical reason for people to be upset.

Radar Chief
05-26-2010, 03:01 PM

Ed Rooney: What’s the score?
Pizza Joint Owner: 0-0
Ed Rooney: Who’s winning?
Pizza Joint Owner: (Giving him a stupid look) The Bears.

Demonpenz
05-26-2010, 03:05 PM
soldier died for your right to do what you want.

The Mad Crapper
05-26-2010, 03:10 PM
If he wasn't such a horses' ass, he would attend the ceremony then fly back to Chicago and do whatever he was planning on.

BBQ at the Ayers?

BIG_DADDY
05-26-2010, 03:11 PM
Gotta see his terrorist buddies back in Chicago

HonestChieffan
05-26-2010, 03:33 PM
Mayor Daley and the boys need to have a little chat

jettio
05-26-2010, 03:36 PM
So the veterans and soldiers buried in Arlington are the only ones worthy of a Presidential visit on Memorial Day?

I guess the monuments in the Leavenworth National Cemetery or this Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery that Obama is visiting this year are for our "bush-league" dead soldiers, sailors and veterans.

I guess that is the real story here, Socialism, Obama is redistributing wealth from the most prestigious to the less prestigious dead soldiers, sailors and veterans.

The Mad Crapper
05-26-2010, 03:53 PM
So the veterans and soldiers buried in Arlington are the only ones worthy of a Presidential visit on Memorial Day?

I guess the monuments in the Leavenworth National Cemetery or this Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery that Obama is visiting this year are for our "bush-league" dead soldiers, sailors and veterans.

I guess that is the real story here, Socialism, Obama is redistributing wealth from the most prestigious to the less prestigious dead soldiers, sailors and veterans.

http://ec-dejavu.ru/images/m/mausoleum_003.JPG

Amnorix
05-26-2010, 03:57 PM

I'll take total moron for a hundred Alex....

vailpass
05-26-2010, 04:41 PM
There are some sad, disenfranchised people on this board.
Can't wait for that mumble-mouth empty suit to be out of our White House and take that worst-ever cabinet with him.

dirk digler
05-26-2010, 05:15 PM

Your posts seemed very angry at Obama and I was deeply offended. You should take anger management classes.

Oh and I forgot you are a racist tea bagger

fan4ever
05-26-2010, 06:08 PM
I'll take total moron for a hundred Alex....

OK I'll let you argue with your bretheren about how he's mastermined 9/11 and the downfall of the free world...tall order for a moron...maybe community organizer?

mlyonsd
05-31-2010, 04:11 PM
As irony would have it Obama's speech was rained out at Abraham Lincoln cemetary.

If there is an after life I'm guessing Patton had something to do with it.

demonhero
05-31-2010, 04:18 PM
It's O.K. Obama will come out when the sun sets, or maybe he just didn't want to get startled by the gun salutes agian.

InChiefsHell
05-31-2010, 04:26 PM
Rained out? WTF, they don't have Presidential umbrellas?

mlyonsd
05-31-2010, 04:32 PM
Rained out? WTF, they don't have Presidential umbrellas?

It was pretty legit. Weather looked pretty bad and lightening was possible.

To his credit Obama said he'd be there for another 15 or 20 minutes if the weather cleared quickly.

RNR
05-31-2010, 04:35 PM
"Obama is not the first president to miss the Arlington ceremony. Ronald Reagan spoke at West Point one year, and went to his California ranch another year. George H.W. Bush, a war veteran, did not go at all. Bill Clinton, who did not serve in Vietnam and had a rocky time with the military, went to Arlington all eight years, and George W. Bush, who also avoided combat service in Vietnam, attended from 2003 onward."

Just for the record he is not the first. He is an embarrassment but this criticism is a tad weak~

demonhero
05-31-2010, 05:01 PM
"Obama is not the first president to miss the Arlington ceremony. Ronald Reagan spoke at West Point one year, and went to his California ranch another year. George H.W. Bush, a war veteran, did not go at all. Bill Clinton, who did not serve in Vietnam and had a rocky time with the military, went to Arlington all eight years, and George W. Bush, who also avoided combat service in Vietnam, attended from 2003 onward."

Just for the record he is not the first. He is an embarrassment but this criticism is a tad weak~

You are right actually, Bill Clinton didn't miss any and he still had time for Monica.

alanm
05-31-2010, 09:46 PM
If he wasn't such a horses' ass, he would attend the ceremony then fly back to Chicago and do whatever he was planning on.Exactly. Every President does Arlington every year. cept Barry. :shake:

alanm
05-31-2010, 09:51 PM

Just for the record he is not the first. He is an embarrassment but this criticism is a tad weak~I stand corrected.