PDA

View Full Version : Nat'l Security Travel tip: start packing a pistol with your luggage

Taco John
05-26-2010, 01:17 PM
Great tip!

Pack A Pistol When You Pack Your Bags
By Ben Popken

Sick of your luggage being lost by airlines? Start packin' a gat. This is just an awesome tip, courtesy of the Bruce Schneir, via The Boing:

A "weapons" is defined as a rifle, shotgun, pistol, airgun, and STARTER PISTOL. Yes, starter pistols - those little guns that fire blanks at track and swim meets - are considered weapons...and do NOT have to be registered in any state in the United States.
I have a starter pistol for all my cases. All I have to do upon check-in is tell the airline ticket agent that I have a weapon to declare...I'm given a little card to sign, the card is put in the case, the case is given to a TSA official who takes my key and locks the case, and gives my key back to me.

That's the procedure. The case is extra-tracked...TSA does not want to lose a weapons case. This reduces the chance of the case being lost to virtually zero.

Here's one (http://www.amazon.com/Starter-Revolver-Caliber-100-Blanks/dp/B000ESLPPW/sr=8-1/qid=1159173307/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-4061435-7296159?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden) you can buy for $25.99. 26 bucks is a great investment to make to avoid a lifetime of lost luggage hassles.

http://consumerist.com/2006/09/pack-a-pistol-when-you-pack-your-bags.html

Bowser
05-26-2010, 01:19 PM
Heh. Not a bad trick.....

The wife lost a piece of luggage from a trip she took back in March, but the airline had it delivered to our house the very next day. That was the first time I ever had a family member lose a piece of luggage.

Taco John
05-26-2010, 01:20 PM
Found that after reading about this horror story:

http://www.consumerist.com/2010/05/tsa-sued-rolex.html

banyon
05-26-2010, 01:38 PM
This is probably a good way to get subjected to the max screening process too, I would guess.

Frazod
05-26-2010, 01:45 PM
Why not just pack a real pistol? Or do they tend to frown on that?

Taco John
05-26-2010, 01:49 PM
This is probably a good way to get subjected to the max screening process too, I would guess.

This is government we're talking about here. I doubt they have that level of sophisticated integration.

banyon
05-26-2010, 02:07 PM
This is government we're talking about here. I doubt they have that level of sophisticated integration.

Have at it then. My impression is that they are using whatever excuse that they can to yank you out of line.

Donger
05-26-2010, 02:08 PM
Checked luggage? What's that?

2bikemike
05-26-2010, 03:59 PM
Why not just pack a real pistol? Or do they tend to frown on that?

You can take a real pistol. You just have to make sure you follow all the laws of the local you land in. There is a story about a guy who missed a connector in New Jersey. He had to get a hotel for the night. He retrieved his luggage which included a firearm and left to go to the hotel. The next morning he checked in at the airport and declared his firearm. He was then arrested on a weapons charge because he had an unregistered / licensed firearm in the state of NJ.

I imagine the same thing could happen in Chicago. There is supposed to be a law to protect you from this kind of thing but there is a major flaw in it.