PDA

View Full Version : General Politics Knock, Knock. Who's There? A Census Worker and He's Coming In

healthpellets
05-28-2010, 02:48 PM
I haven't had a problem with the Census people yet after only responding to Q1 on the census and then attaching a copy of the Constitution. But I'd be surprised if I don't receive a visit at some point...

http://blogs.ajc.com/bob-barr-blog/2010/05/26/census-workers-can-enter-your-apartment-in-your-absence/

Census workers can enter your apartment in your absence

6:00 am May 26, 2010, by Bob Barr

Thousands of census workers, including many temporary employees, are fanning out across America to gather information on the citizenry. This is a process that takes place not only every decade in order to complete the constitutionally-mandated census; but also as part of the continuing “American Community Survey” conducted by the Census Bureau on a regular basis year in and year out.

What many Americans don’t realize, is that census workers — from the head of the Bureau and the Secretary of Commerce (its parent agency) down to the lowliest and newest Census employee — are empowered under federal law to actually demand access to any apartment or any other type of home or room that is rented out, in order to count persons in the abode and for “the collection of statistics.” If the landlord of such apartment or other leased premises refuses to grant the government worker access to your living quarters, whether you are present or not, the landlord can be fined $500.00.

That’s right — not only can citizens be fined if they fail to answer the increasingly intrusive questions asked of them by the federal government under the guise of simply counting the number of people in the country; but a landlord must give them access to your apartment whether you’re there or not, in order to gather whatever “statistics” the law permits.

In fact, some census workers apparently are going even further and demanding — and receiving — private cell phone numbers from landlords in order to call tenants and obtain information from them. Isn’t it great to live in a “free” country?

FD
05-28-2010, 02:51 PM
The "census" is the biggest scam I ever heard of. Its fascism, plain and simple.

http://img.wonkette.com/assets/resources/2008/02/barack_did_wtc.jpg

Garcia Bronco
05-28-2010, 03:14 PM
"Census workers can enter your apartment in your absence"

No they can't.

Dave Lane
05-28-2010, 03:22 PM
Are they out of tin foil at the A&P? That why you posted this?

Fish
05-28-2010, 03:50 PM
I got my visit from a Census worker a few weeks ago. I discovered that Census workers have absolutely no sense of humor.

This large woman at the door identified herself, and started asking the Census questions. She asked me my name, and I responded in my best Patrick Stewart voice "My name is Jean-Luc Picard..."

I thought she was going to stab me. She got this look on her face like I'd just pissed on her shoes and said "Do you think this is funny? Do you think this is a joke? I could have you arrested for providing false information. Is that what you want?"

I apologized and gave her the info.....

healthpellets
05-28-2010, 03:57 PM
I got my visit from a Census worker a few weeks ago. I discovered that Census workers have absolutely no sense of humor.

This large woman at the door identified herself, and started asking the Census questions. She asked me my name, and I responded in my best Patrick Stewart voice "My name is Jean-Luc Picard..."

I thought she was going to stab me. She got this look on her face like I'd just pissed on her shoes and said "Do you think this is funny? Do you think this is a joke? I could have you arrested for providing false information. Is that what you want?"

ouch.

did you give her all the info they wanted?

the number of persons living in your house is sufficient.

Taco John
05-28-2010, 03:59 PM
I like how the title of this thread is kind of a mini-play.

Fish
05-28-2010, 04:19 PM
ouch.

Yeah. It only took a couple minutes. I told her my feelings on the stupidity of it, and she said she'd keep it brief.

healthpellets
05-28-2010, 04:30 PM
Yeah. It only took a couple minutes. I told her my feelings on the stupidity of it, and she said she'd keep it brief.

if they show up and ask for details, i'm half tempted to say that i'm harboring 19 Jews under the floorboards of my house. just for fun...

banyon
05-29-2010, 02:50 PM
ouch.

Says who or what?

Brock
05-29-2010, 02:57 PM
-Luc Picard..."

I would have laughed in her face.

healthpellets
05-29-2010, 07:49 PM
Says who or what?

the constitution, Article I, Section 2.

The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct.

an "enumeration" is a count. not a question about my race, my income, my marital status, or my pets. so i'll tell you how many people live in my house, but that is all.

DaneMcCloud
05-29-2010, 10:48 PM

an "enumeration" is a count. not a question about my race, my income, my marital status, or my pets. so i'll tell you how many people live in my house, but that is all.

You can do as you please but I hope you know what all of the questions are about:

Funding.

A Census worker came to my house the other day because I hadn't yet filled out the form and sent it in, and I answered each and every question faithfully and honestly.

The government already knows how much I earn, how many children I have, my SSN, etc. It's no secret.

Although in an effort to disclose all information, I didn't allow her in the house. I spoke to her over our callbox/phone system. I was busy working and didn't feel like walking down four flights of stairs to let her in the house.

:D

BucEyedPea
05-30-2010, 03:55 AM
If the govt already has all your information then there's no need to give it to them again. That is except for how many live in your house because that's all that's legally required.

banyon
05-30-2010, 10:24 AM

That's your minimalist interpretation, but it wasn't even the interpretation of the people who wrote it (who wanted to know age and about slaves). Even the first census asked more questions than just "how many?" (which isn't a really accurate way to make sure everyone is counted anyway).

Name of the head of each household.
How many free white males age 16 and older.
How many free white males under age 16.
How many free white females.
How many of all other free persons.
How many slaves.

http://www.censusfinder.com/1790-census.htm

The question about race is to ensure we aren't racially gerrymandering districts. Do you have a better way to do that?

It's pretty idiotic (and wastefully inefficient) IMO to have this process and not get the extra basic info when we are already answering the questions. Your general hostility toward government doesn't mean that the government should conduct this process in a clumsy fashion.

DaneMcCloud
05-30-2010, 10:31 AM
If the govt already has all your information then there's no need to give it to them again. That is except for how many live in your house because that's all that's legally required.

You know what?

I don't care.

Unlike some people in this forum, I don't have a year's supply of tin foil hats in my basement. Actually, I don't even have a basement.

ClevelandBronco
05-30-2010, 10:36 AM
Can I get in trouble if I don't report all of my slaves?

whatsmynameagain
05-30-2010, 10:36 AM
It’s amazing to me how so many people claim our government is inept, while at the same time believing they are behind a massive well-run conspiracy

ClevelandBronco
05-30-2010, 10:42 AM
It’s amazing to me how so many people claim our government is inept, while at the same time believing they are behind a massive well-run conspiracy

Don't let those cunning bastards fool you. They're ept, all right.

BucEyedPea
05-30-2010, 01:22 PM
You know what?

I don't care.

Unlike some people in this forum, I don't have a year's supply of tin foil hats in my basement. Actually, I don't even have a basement.

It's not about conspiracy to me. It's just what the Constitution stipulates.
I just prefer it to be followed. If enough demanded that I think we'd be in better shape as a country overall.
But to each his own. I can understand not wanting any trouble with the Feds too. I wasn't trying to give you flak for answering.

banyon
05-30-2010, 01:26 PM
The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct.

Also, for you literalists, wth do you think the bolded part of the sentence means?

BucEyedPea
05-30-2010, 01:29 PM

How is this a conspiracy? That would involve a crime and be a secret among a few people. I don't see that here. I see it being done out in the open. Other than that there has been and will always govt abuses. It's already happened under the Patriots Act etc.

Now as far as the govt being inept and not needing to worry about it. Well the Soviet Union and other similar countries were inept too judging from their economies, standard of living and lack of rights simply because the govt promised them a "worker's paradise." However, they were efficient at other things
like not allowing any freedom and controlling their economic lives. Judging from the type of people who get attracted to power it's best to just follow the Constitution because it diffuses power. It was designed like that on purpose. So there's nothing wrong with not liking our govt to overstep it's bounds. That does not make a conspiracy. It's just not putting too much trust in govt.

healthpellets
05-30-2010, 02:57 PM
It's pretty idiotic (and wastefully inefficient) IMO to have this process and not get the extra basic info when we are already answering the questions. Your general hostility toward government doesn't mean that the government should conduct this process in a clumsy fashion.

why do they need other info about me since they already have it?

and since they're doing another compulsory survey nearly every year now, there's no need for more than a head count every ten years.

and you realize that we're spending ~$14 BILLION on this little head count? that's amazing to me. just amazing.

ClevelandBronco
05-30-2010, 03:02 PM
...and you realize that we're spending ~$14 BILLION on this little head count? that's amazing to me. just amazing.

Then you should probably just cooperate fully the first time around rather than make them spend more money to track you down.

banyon
05-30-2010, 03:12 PM

What do you mean they already have it?

and since they're doing another compulsory survey nearly every year now, there's no need for more than a head count every ten years.

What are you talking about?

and you realize that we're spending ~$14 BILLION on this little head count? that's amazing to me. just amazing.

How much do you think they should spend? In the grand scheme of the federal budget, $14 bil every ten years is a pretty reasonable price tag, IMO. Do you know how much we spend on Iraq? Every month? There's plenty of waste and fraud in government programs, but I haven't seen anything that suggests the Census is riddled with either. You want to clean up fraud and waste, go to the Defense budget or Medicare fraud.

DaneMcCloud
05-30-2010, 03:14 PM

Participating in the census is in everyone's best interest, because the information on the forms is used by decision-makers to determine which communities, schools, hospitals and roads need federal funding. Filling out your census form is also the best way to make sure people like you are represented in the census.

If you don't want to participate, be sure to put on your tin foil hat when the Census worker arrives at your house and refuse to answer their questions. And don't bitch when your roads and schools suck ass.

:shake:

BucEyedPea
05-30-2010, 08:58 PM
That's just it which communities, schools, roads* (and wtf hospitals too? ) are locally funded initiatives. Unless you talkin' more pork barrel spending. Most of those things aren't Constitutional either.

One can still participate in the census without discussing one's race, ethnicity or mortgage.

*roads not highways.

go bowe
05-30-2010, 11:35 PM

an "enumeration" is a count. not a question about my race, my income, my marital status, or my pets. so i'll tell you how many people live in my house, but that is all.yes, enumeration is counting...

but what about the part about "in such Manner as they shall by Law direct"?

congress by law directs the manner in which the census bureau gathers information for the census...

of course i have no idea what the courts may have ruled on this issue, i'm just talking off the top of my head (which has its inherent dangers)...

go bowe
05-30-2010, 11:39 PM
Also, for you literalists, wth do you think the bolded part of the sentence means?well, shit...

beat me to the punch yet again... :( :( :(

Bob Dole
06-01-2010, 10:42 AM
How much do you think they should spend? In the grand scheme of the federal budget, $14 bil every ten years is a pretty reasonable price tag, IMO.

Bob Dole isn't really sure, but couldn't they just tack these questions on as an additional form on the Federal Income Tax nearly every adult files (on his or her own dime) every year and get fairly accurate and annual numbers for a statistically insignificant additional expense?

Chief Henry
06-01-2010, 11:06 AM
Bob Dole isn't really sure, but couldn't they just tack these questions on as an additional form on the Federal Income Tax nearly every adult files (on his or her own dime) every year and get fairly accurate and annual numbers for a statistically insignificant additional expense?

BD,

Where the heck have you been hiding out at ? Its been a dam long time
since I've seen a post by you. Its good to know you are still alive :thumb:

DaFace
06-01-2010, 11:15 AM

The issue as I see it is that the people who don't file income taxes are often the ones of most interest to people using Census data (low-income, elderly, non-citizens, etc.).

loochy
06-01-2010, 11:27 AM
My mom is doing this Census door to door survey stuff for some extra money. Her boss/team leader prints out a list and she goes to those houses and asks them the questions. She said she hasn't run into any angry or mean people so far. If they aren't home on the first try, she tries once more. If they don't answer the second time she marks that house off as "no reply." If someone doesn't want to answer the question she just says "OK" and goes away. They don't knock people's door down or any of that ridiculousness.

Bob Dole
06-02-2010, 09:03 PM
BD,

Where the heck have you been hiding out at ? Its been a dam long time
since I've seen a post by you. Its good to know you are still alive :thumb:

Been a crazy, busy year or so. Hopefully it will calm down soon...

mlyonsd
06-02-2010, 09:08 PM
Been a crazy, busy year or so. Hopefully it will calm down soon...

I miss "Bob Dole says"...you've gotten lazy.